1938/39: Cup Runs


Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Aug 13 ESL A Penicuik Athletic L 0-5 14
20 ESL H Vale of Leithen W 4-2 6
27 EQC P A Dunbar Town W 4-2
Sep 3 EQC 1 A Duns W 4-3
10 ESL & SQC 1 H Leith Amateurs W 1-0 4
17 ESL & EQC 2 H Gala Fairydean W 5-2 1
24 SQCS 2 H Dunbar Town W 3-1
Oct 1 ESL A Peebles YMCA L 1-2 1
8 SQCS 3 H Bo'ness W 3-2
15 EQC SF A Chirnside United W 5-2
22 SQCS SF A Penicuik Athletic L 1-3
29 ESL H Coldstream W 10-0 5
Nov 5 ESL A Bo'ness L 1-5 6
19 ESL H Selkirk W 4-1 6
26 EQC F A Penicuik Athletic W 2-1
Dec 3 ESL A Vale of Leithen D 5-5 6
10 BC 1 A Chirnside United W 7-2
Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Jan 7 ESL H Penicuik Athletic W 1-0 7
14 ESL H Duns W 4-2 5
21 SC 1 A Kilmarnock L 1-6
28 ESL H Dunbar Town W 6-1 5
Feb 4 KC 1 H Civil Service Strollers W 10-1
11 ESL H Peebles Rovers W 1-0 4
18 KC 2 H Bo'ness L 1-4
25 ESL A Coldstream W 2-1 4
Mar 4 ESL H Edinburgh University W 3-1 3
11 ESL A Peebles Rovers L 2-6 4
18 ESL A Duns L 0-2 5
Apr 1 ESL H Bo'ness L 2-5 5
8 BC SF A Penicuik Athletic L 1-3
15 ESL A Selkirk W 6-0 4
May 6 BSCC SF H Duns W 3-1
13 BSCC F N Chirnside United L 1-7
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Bo'ness 24 11 1 0 64 11 7 3 2 30 21 40
2 Peebles Rovers 23 10 0 2 53 17 6 1 4 30 27 33
3 Chirnside United 19 8 0 2 42 20 5 0 4 30 26 26
4 Berwick Rangers 19 10 0 1 41 14 2 1 5 17 26 25
5 Duns 19 8 1 1 45 14 3 0 6 23 26 23
6 Dunbar Town 18 6 0 2 25 20 4 1 5 24 29 21
7 Selkirk 20 5 1 2 23 18 4 0 8 29 42 19
8 Vale of Leithen 22 4 3 5 35 38 3 0 7 30 41 17
9 Penicuick Athletic 13 7 0 1 31 13 1 0 4 8 10 16
10 Gala Fairydean 14 4 1 1 20 12 2 1 5 18 33 14
11 Coldstream 17 2 1 6 26 28 2 0 6 17 47 9
12 Peebles YMCA 20 2 1 7 24 36 0 1 9 15 45 6
13 Edinburgh University 12 2 0 3 15 14 0 0 7 11 35 4
14 Leith Amateurs 16 1 0 6 12 36 0 1 8 9 48 3
Remaining matches not played.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

Robert Bowie 4 1 3 1 3
Robert Bryce 1 1
William (Bill) Cunningham 19 5 1 2 2 4 1 1 2
John (Tanner) Davidson 1 1 1
Davie Dougal 1
Jimmy Gilchrist 18 4 5 2 2 2 1 4 1 2
John Gilchrist 1
David Haldane 12 5 2 4 1 3 2 1 1
William Hay 1
George Hope 17 2 5 2 2 2 1 4 1 2
Tommy Hunter 8 11 2 1 2 3 2 3 1
George Hush 9 3 1 1 2 3 1 2 1
Robert (Bob) King 13 2 2 2 2 1
Alex Lumsden 16 12 5 3 2 3 1 1 1 1
Andrew McGillivray 1
J Miller 1
Angus Mollison 16 7 2 1 2 1 2 2 2 1 1
George Mollison 1
George Piercy 1
Archie Pratt 1 2
Charles (Chic) Robinson 13 6 5 2 1 1 4 2 2
Robert (Bob) Scobie 7 1 1 1 2 1
Tom Shanks 1 1 1 1
David Sherlaw 2
Robert (Bob) Sim 13 2 5 2 2 2 1 1 4 1 1
Stanley Stewart 1
Jack Straffen 18 5 2 2 4 1 2
Charlie Vesco 16 2 4 2 1 3 1 2 2
William Walker 1
own goal 1 2
Number of players used: 29
In preparation for the 1938/39 season the club moved quickly to re-signed nine players: George Hope, Bill Cunningham, Bob Scobie, Bobby King, Bobby Sim, Angus Mollison, Charlie Vesco, Robert Bowie and Jimmy Gilchrist. Later additions were Stanley Stewart, who played three games for Berwick last season; David Haldane, ex-Fauldhouse United; Alex Lumsden, ex-Edinburgh City; Chic Robinson, ex-Leith Athletic; Gordon Pratt, ex-Hearts player who played for Montrose last season, and young keeper Jack Straffen, who played well last season in the Berwickshire Charity Cup. Rangers' officials were confident of a good start to the season and hoped to add more new faces to the squad.

New nets for the goals had been purchased and the Supporters' Club had bought new black and yellow strips for the players as part of their continued financial support.


13. Berwick Rangers could not have asked for a tougher start to the new East of Scotland League campaign when they were paired with Penicuik Athletic, last year's unbeaten champions – at Penicuik. Rangers got off to the worst possible start with a heavy 5-0 defeat. Apart from the opening half-hour, Berwick proved a disappointing team. However, no one could justifiably lay a heap of criticism upon a team which had just been assembled and had not yet played together, never mind trained. Rangers did not deserve to be beaten by as many as five, although there was no doubting Penicuik deserved both points. Penicuick put Berwick on the defensive from the start and Hay was unlucky to see his shot rise over the bar. The pace was fast, rather too fast for players without practice. Both Straffen and Menzies were kept busy with shots from the respective forwards. Straffen did well to save from Dodds at close range. However, Straffen was beaten when, from a Morris cross, Dodds headed past the keeper to open Penicuik's account. A few minutes later, Burke put Penicuik further ahead with a well-placed shot following a corner. A foul against Robinson let Rangers in, but offside against Haldane lost them a chance. A few minutes later, Robinson sent over a neat cross to Haldane, whose effort was well stopped by Menzies. On the run of play, Rangers hardly deserved to be two goals down at half-time, however, in the second half they let themselves down badly. End-to-end football marked the opening, but from a quick break down the left Hay beat Straffen with a good shot to put the home side three ahead. Keeping up the pressure, Penicuik went further ahead when Cuthbert scored with a shot taken while he was lying on the grass. Shortly after, a cross from Dodds was fisted over by Straffen, and from the corner kick Cuthbert put Penicuik five up when the keeper failed to hold the ball at the foot of the post. Berwick came more into the game in the later stages, but the damage was done, and the home defence was able to deal with anything that came their way.

20. Shielfield Park looked the tip-top condition when Berwick Rangers met Vale of Leithen in Berwick's first home game, played in front of a moderate crowd. Rangers gave a much-improved performance to claim the points with a 4-2 victory. The visitors had the better of the opening play, but Rangers soon found their feet. The Vale goal had a lucky escape when Sim sent in a fast low shot, but Crawford made a tremendous save. After a spell of midfield play, Berwick forced a series of corners and from the last Haldane headed past Crawford to put Rangers ahead with ten minutes played. After a spell of even play, Waterson played his way into a good shooting position and let fly with a fast shot to level the score. Rangers retaliated and had several shots on goal before Sim put them back in the lead with a well-hit long-range shot. Berwick went further ahead on 25 minutes when Lumsden head in following a well-place Bowie corner. Haldane and Sim were making their presence felt and Rangers won a free kick just outside the box. Crawford failed to hold Sim's drive and Haldane rushed in to register Berwick's fourth goal of the half. Berwick's defence was test in the second half with Vale having the elements in their favour and had several promising chances. Rangers held their own, however, a should have scored when Bowie a defence-splitting cross in from the left, but there were no takers. Straffen conceded a second Vale goal when Gemmell broke through and scored from 15 yards. Crawford in the Vale goal was put under pressure as Berwick pressed and a short while after Straffen was under the same. Time and time again Straffen saved, but the home defence was on top in the closing minutes and Rangers held on to claim both points.

The Rangers' officials struck a pessimistic note in the opening remarks of the matchday programme. They spoke of "journey's end" if the public did not offer increased support to that which was given last season. Turning to the financial side the article read: "through the untiring efforts of the Supporters' Club, we started the season with a considerable balance in hand, and, with the team being run as economical as possible, there is no immediate concern in this respect - BUT. If the public do not show a more active interest than that of last year, the Club, we are afraid, may soon reach its journey's end. This active interest can only be shown in the "gate" returns, and today at our first home game of the season, we would make a very earnest appeal for the wholehearted support of Berwick's football public."

27. Berwick Rangers made it through the preliminary round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup after beating Dunbar Town 4-2, thanks to the opportunism of Haldane, who scored a hat trick. Dunbar's small-size Laundry Park pitch did not suit Berwick and for most of the game Rangers were continually making mistakes, especially with crosses into the box being over hit. Dunbar opened strongly but an equally strong Berwick defence made the going hard for the home forwards. Heavy rain had fallen before the kick-off, making the pitch soft and greasy, and many promising moves were spoiled. Dunbar were awarded an early penalty, which Straffen did well to save. The ball was hit almost straight at him, and the keeper gathered the ball in fine style and made a perfect clearance. Shortly after, Berwick opened the scoring when Haldane forced his way through before giving Harkness no chance with a fast shot. Dunbar were full of running but could not force their way through to test Straffen. Midway through the half, Haldane doubled Berwick's lead with a well-timed effort. Dunbar upped their game and Rae reduced the deficit with a long drive. Straffen had just kicked clear under the pressure of two Dunbar forwards; the ball reached Rae and he returned it with a first-time kick and the ball beat Straffen back to the goal. A few minutes later Grant scored with a free kick which crept in at the post with Straffen unsighted. It was all Berwick in the second half with Harkness in the home goal keeping the score down with some clever saves. Early in the half, Robinson put Berwick back in the lead with a well taken goal and before the end Haldane completed the scoring with his hat trick goal.


3. It was certainly a game of two halves in a rousing first round East of Scotland Qualifying Cup tie at Hawthorn Park between Duns and Berwick Rangers. Rangers held the first half with three goals in an 18-minute spell and Duns the second, with an amazing fightback, to draw level at 3-3 before Berwick scored the all-important winner. The game kicked off under bright sunshine. Rangers put the Duns goal under immense pressure, and after seven minutes a swift right-wing move Lumsden put them a goal up. Watson dropped a shot from Bowie and Lumsden, running in, smashed the ball into the net. Duns were on the back-foot at this point and Bowie should have put Berwick further ahead but when through on goal Watson did enough in a one-on-one to save the situation. Duns had the occasional look-in, but their efforts were easily frustrated by the Berwick defence. Rangers went further ahead when Vesco slipped the ball through to Lumsden, who dummied Holligan before giving Watson no chance with a close-range shot high under the crossbar. Berwick were three goals up on 25 minutes when a home defender handled a Robinson shot in the penalty box and Hope sent the ball out of Watson's reach from the spot. It looked like Rangers were going to score a hatful, but Duns fought their way back into the game and reduced the score when Broadley sent over a neat centre and Tams ran in between Hope and Straffen to score. Straffen was not so easily beaten a few minutes later when he cleared a fast shot from Tams, while at the other end Holligan made a first-time clearance from a Gilchrist shot. Haldane just failed to find the net when well positioned before he hit the Duns crossbar with a powerful shot. Half-time arrived with no further scoring, but the honours certainly went to Berwick. The second half was totally different. For fully 15 minutes the Berwick goal was under a constant onslaught. Broadley gave Duns their second goal after a nice bit of work. Recovering possession near the halfway line, he cut up the wing, despite having Cunningham snapping at his heels, and with Straffen advancing to meet him, he chipped the ball over the keeper and into the far corner of the net. Broadley went close again shortly after, and T. Watson had only Straffen to beat but put his shot wide. Duns levelled the score when Tams accepted a pass from Broadley from the right and scored with a shot just as Straffen advanced to meet him. It was a well-deserved goal. The Rangers attack had fallen off somewhat and a possibility of a Duns victory looked possible. For five minutes or more both teams played fast and hard before the winning goal was scored when Haldane headed the ball past Watson from a well-positioned free kick. Duns returned to the attack; Cunningham headed clear, then Straffen was again called into action. The last ten minutes were played in a downpour with thunder clouds rolling overhead as Rangers hung on.

10. In a match which double as League and second round Scottish Qualifying Cup tie, Berwick Rangers defeated Leith Amateurs by a single goal to nil at a sun-drenched Shielfield Park. The match, played under stifling conditions was certainly not a classic. The Berwick front line was disorganised, and the play disjointed. When Rangers took to the field it was obvious that Haldane was carrying an injury, and many questioned his inclusion in the line-up. Rangers were in attacking mood in the early stages. Lumsden went close before Gilchrist had a shot punched over the crossbar by Bertram. Rangers were floating crosses into the Leith goal, but Haldane was unable to get near the ball. Gardiner was rather fortunate to turn a shot from Mollison round the post. A few minutes before half-time the injured Haldane had to leave the field for treatment and on his return, he swapped places with Scobie. However, this did not improve matters, and the first half in which play undoubtably favoured the Rangers, drew to a goal-less close. Lumsden went into the centre-forward position at the start of the second half with Scobie at inside-right and Haldane completing the partnership. Matters did not improve as the game progressed and countless opportunities went astray. However, late in the game, Berwick were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box from which Robinson opened the scoring. Afterwards, Leith were penned in their own half. A shot from Bowie struck the upright and rolled along the goal-line, but no there were no takers to tap it into the net. Berwick had the ball in the net following a free kick by Gilchrist, but the goal was rule out due to Lumsden being offside. Leith came close to equalising when Straffen was unsighted at a free kick, but Sim came to the rescue and cleared. Haldane was forced to retire with 20 minutes to go. Rangers battled on with ten men and were unlucky when Bowie played Mollison through on goal, but his shot struck the upright and Robinson hit the rebound past. Leith were unlucky on one or two occasions not to draw level but play still swung in Berwick's favour. Near the end, Bertram made a marvellous clearance and then stopped a terrific drive by Lumsden by playing the ball onto the crossbar and over. The resultant corner was cleared, but Rangers had done enough to reach the second round and take both league points.

Supporter had taken heed of the article printed in the matchday programme versus Vale of Leithen as a gate of £15 10s 10d was taken from a crowd of 650. However, as the match was also a cup tie, Leith were entitled to half the gate plus expenses and Rangers still ended up out of pocket.

17. In another double header, Berwick Rangers hosted Gala Fairydean for League points and qualification to the third round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. With a much-improved performance from the previous week, Rangers outclassed Gala by five goals to two and but for their keeper, who was here, there and everywhere, the goal difference would have been much higher. With Haldane out injured, Rangers re-signed G. Hush, who made a big difference to the otherwise unchanged team. Berwick played fast flowing football at the start and kept Gala penned in their own half. Hush was prominent in the first few minutes and showed a fine bit of opportunism when he dashed into the centre of the goal to accept a cross from Bowie from which he opened the scoring. Gala made only sporadic attacks and Straffen was rarely tested, whereas Hope in the Gala goal was under pressure throughout. Rangers doubled their lead from the penalty spot after Lumsden had been fouled in the box and Hope (Berwick) sent Hope (Gala) the wrong way. Berwick kept the Gala goal under sustained pressure and Hope was applauded on several occasions for his acrobatic display of goalkeeping. Just before half-time, Rangers were awarded a second penalty, this time for hands, but Hope skied the ball over the crossbar. Rangers started the second half with a picture goal when Bowie beat the keeper with a first-time volley following a cross from the extreme left. In the next minute, receiving a pass from Hush, Bowie shot on goal and N. McLeod, in trying to clear, kicked the ball past his own keeper. Midway through the half, Berwick notched a fifth when Lumsden, standing unmarked, picked up a cross from Hush and had the easiest of jobs in tapping the ball into the net. Five goals up, Rangers did not exert themselves in the closing stages and Gala took the opportunity of reducing the leeway. Hogarth was first on the mark with a goal scored from the left, after a defensive slip by Hope had let him through on goal, and Clinkscales netted a second shortly after following a neat cross from Brown. Gala scored a third when Spence netted, but, to the surprise of the spectators, the referee changed his decision and rule it offside. In the closing minutes, Berwick were well on top and never looked like conceding any more goals.

24. Berwick Rangers qualified for the Scottish Cup proper after a 3-1 win over Dunbar Town in the second round of the Qualifying Cup at Shielfield Park. Two stunning goals, scored by full-backs Robinson and Cunningham at vital times showcased the game. Rangers could not find an opening early on. Their forwards had swept through the visiting defence on numerous occasions. The uprights had been struck, the crossbar came to Town's rescue on several occasions, but Rangers could not place the ball between the posts. It took Berwick until just before the interval to take the lead when Hush scored from the penalty spot following an infringement in the box. The second half started with Rangers continuing to attack. Hush headed a well-place corner from Bowie into the net, but the goal was ruled out for offside. Dunbar then took up the running and many onlookers believed they would soon level the score. However, the Berwick defence held out and Robinson, who was obviously out of position, received the ball when unmarked upfield scored with a fast 30-yarder to double the lead. Dunbar reduced the leeway when Hannah found the defence out of position and scored from the edge of the box. An anxious period then followed when Dunbar went all out to level the score, but Straffen dealt confidently with anything which came his way. Rangers fought back and every member of the forward line had a shot saved by Harkness. At times the keeper looked unbeatable. Rangers held on to their slender lead until a few minutes from the end, and a big sigh of relief escaped from the home supporters when Cunningham secured victory with a long twisting shot which left Harkness helpless.


1. Berwick Rangers gave another Jekyll and Hyde performance when they were defeat 2-1 on their travels to Peebles YMCA. It was the home side's first League win of the season and a nasty set-back for Berwick in a top versus bottom match. The defence and half-backs played well enough, as did Straffen in goal, but the forwards were just not on form. Haldane returned from injury, but after 15 minutes he went lame again and was a passenger for the rest of the game. Robinson was out on loan to Leith Athletic and the team was reshuffled to suit. Peebles started brightly and a well-directed shot from Sterricks tested Straffen. A minute later Fraser had the Berwick defence spreadeagled, but Hope nipped in and cleared the danger. Rangers got a look-in, but Bowie's parting shot lacked direction. The YMCA missed a fine chance when Fraser made an opening, but Benigno lifted the ball over bar from a good position. Chances were also missed at the other end. Lumsden and Bowie failed to clinch matters when Wright was out of his goal. Bowie, however, followed with a powerful effort which just missed the goal by inches. Berwick were pressing hard at this stage, but their finish was poor to say the least. Peebles were little better. Hamilton had an easy chance, but he skied his effort from underneath the crossbar. The home side went ahead with five minutes of the half remaining when Fraser finish off a solo effort with a hard shot which gave Straffen no chance. Straffen stop another hard drive from Fraser on the line before Rangers levelled on the stroke of half-time when the injured Haldane was in the right place at the right time in front of goal. Berwick took up the attack on the restart and Wright saved well from Bowie. At the other end, Sterricks sent over a well-timed cross and Fraser whipped it just over the crossbar. In the next raid, Peebles scored the winning goal when Sterricks sent over a corner; Straffen ran out to fist but misjudged the flight of the ball and Kilner head it into the net. Rangers retaliated, and after good right-wing move, Bowie got in a shot which Wright did well to save. Most of the danger that threatened the home goal came from Bowie. However, Wright was in top form in the Peebles goal and made several fine saves to deny the Rangers front line whenever they did get through. The YMCA pressed late in the game and the Berwick goal had several narrow escapes before the game's end.

8. Berwick Rangers defeated Bo'ness 3-2 in a rousing Scottish Qualifying Cup tie at Shielfield Park. The largest crowd of the season turned out to watch the third-round tie with Bo'ness bringing eleven buses of supporters. To solve the recent centre-forward problem, Berwick Rangers signed Thomas Hunter, a former Scottish Junior and South Shields player, who had recently turned out for Scremerston, on professional terms. Hunter went straight into the team in place of the injured Haldane. Rangers were bolstered by the return of Robinson and King, who replaced Bowie and Mollison in a reshuffled line-up. Bo'ness fielded an experienced side with McMenemy, who played a prominent part in Newcastle United's Cup Final triumph at Wembley a few seasons ago, in their line up along with Kennedy, ex-Rangers, and Hughes, ex-Clyde. Higgins had played First Division football and McGillivray had turned out for Berwick earlier in the season. The game opened in typical cup-tie fashion. Rangers pressed hard and took the lead after just five minutes when King's low free kick surprised the Bo'ness defenders and Hunter dashed in to hit the ball high into the net. Berwick had the ball in the net a few minutes later when Sim's long-range drive struck the crossbar and Hunter ran in to net the rebound, but the goal was ruled out for offside. However, Rangers were on a roll. In the next raid on the Bo'ness goal, Berwick were awarded a penalty. Hush took the kick, but hit it straight at Simpson, who blocked the shot and loose ball was eventually cleared. It was third time lucky for Rangers shortly after when Hunter went through on his own, and from a sharp angle, he kicked through the clutching hands of keeper Simpson to put Rangers two ahead. Berwick were three up a minute later. Lumsden was the hero this time when he neatly side-stepped the visiting defenders and walked the ball into the net. Bo'ness then reduced the deficit from the penalty spot when Miller beat Straffen from the 12-yard mark. In the run up to the interval, McMenemy found a gap in the Berwick defence, but his low, twisting shot was safely covered by Straffen. Only some stout defending by Berwick prevented Bo'ness reducing the goal margin early in the second half. Rangers then got a look in and Lumsden forced Simpson into making a good save following a neat cross from Robinson before Hush brought the Bo'ness keeper to his knees with a low shot. Straffen made two good saves in quick succession to deny McMenemy, but he was beaten shortly after when Miller reduced the score to a single goal following a goalmouth melee. To preserve their slender lead, Rangers upped the pace with Hush and Robinson unlucky with good efforts. Bo'ness pressed in the final few minutes, but the Berwick defence held their own.

15. Berwick Rangers reached the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup with a 5-2 victory over Chirnside United at Home Park. A strong west wind was blowing when the teams took the field. Chirnside won the toss, but to everyone's amazement they chose to play against the wind, and a blazing sun. It turned out to be a bad decision. Within two minutes Rangers were a goal up when Cunningham hit a stunning 60-yard wind assisted free kick into the net, with Hall blinded by the sun. Chirnside picked themselves up and fine run down the right saw Young miss a chance in front of goal following a neat cross from Connolly. At the other end, Hall saved a point-blank shot from Hunter, but the keeper could not stop Sim from increasing Berwick's lead after 12 minutes' play following a rebound off the post. Hunter was a source of worry to the home defence, and he went near to scoring on several occasions. However, after a spell of midfield play, Young gathered up a loose ball and worked his way through the Berwick defence at speed to reduce the score with a low shot into the far corner with 25 minutes on the clock. Two minutes later Rangers were another goal up when following a low and fast Robinson corner, Morrish put through his own goal attempting to clear. Just a minute later, Hunter thwarted Feenie and, with only Hall to beat he drove into the far corner to put Berwick 4-1 ahead. Rangers kept up the pressure and forced a series of corners; from the last Sim scored a fifth after Hunter had driven in a hard shot which rebounded off the upright. Near the interval some hope was raised for the home team when they forced a corner, but Cunningham cleared the danger. As was expected, Chirnside attacked strongly with the wind now in their favour, but Straffen cleared confidently. Rangers replied with a sharp attack, but Hall saved Hunter's kick. Spence had a good shot saved by Straffen before Young reduced score further following a Connolly cross into the goalmouth. Shortly after, Young was unlucky when his shot missed the goal by inches with Straffen well beaten. A miskick by Wightman nearly spelt disaster for the home side when Lumsden pounced on the loose ball but missed badly with only Hall to beat. Chirnside pressed until the end, but the damage was already done, as Rangers defended in depth and played time out.

22. Berwick Rangers failed to qualify for the final of the Scottish Qualifying Cup South when they were beaten 3-1 at Penicuik Athletic. The game started in typical cup-tie fashion with two goals scored in the opening five minutes. Penicuik went one up after three minutes, but Berwick swept down-field to equalise almost immediately after. However, Penicuik were well on top in the second half and proved yet again to be Berwick's bogey team, scoring two more goals. Had Lady Luck been on Rangers' side in the first half the result could have been much different as on numerous occasions the woodwork came to the home side's rescue. Berwick attacked from the kick-off, but a quick clearance by Ure gave the home team a chance and Henderson shot just over the crossbar. Penicuik kept up the pressure and a fast drive by Cuthbert was cleared to Dodds, who smashed the return into the net. Shanks and Sim carried the play to the other end and from Sim's cross Hunter rounded Batchelor before beating Menzies to equalise. Penicuik forced matters and from a free kick just outside the box, Quigg sent in a hard drive, but Straffen saved well. Hunter worried the home defence, and good efforts by Shanks and Robinson were saved by Menzies. Play was hard and fast despite the soft ground. Penicuik kept up the pressure and the Berwick defence had to clear from Wilson, Dougal and Cuthbert. Dougal had the ball at his feet and faced an open goal, but he slipped on the point of shooting and Hope moved in quickly to clear. With half-time drawing near, Rangers attacked strongly and a shot by Gilchrist bounced back off the crossbar and one by Sim hit the crossbar with Menzies beaten. A minute later, Sim hit a shot off the inside of the post. Berwick's luck was certainly out! The second half began with Penicuik on the attack and after a few minutes they took a deserved lead when Dougal scored following a neat Henderson cross. Rangers got a quick look-in before Penicuik forced a series of unproductive corners. After some end-to-end play, Wilson shot over the Berwick bar when well placed before Morris worked the ball in close and put Penicuik two goals clear with a well-hit shot. In the closing stages, Berwick tried vainly to reduce the score. Before the final whistle, Dougal went close with a shot which Straffen did well to tip over the bar.

29. Back to League business, Berwick Rangers took the points with a double-figure win over Coldstream at Shielfield Park as Rangers hit the back of the net ten times. It was a second-half avalanche that so overwhelmed Coldstream as up to the interval they had played reasonably well and were only three goals down. Their defence was almost non-existent after the break, with Berwick scoring almost at will. Rangers showed two changes to the team with Sim replacing Bowie and Mollison in for Shanks. The game opened evenly with both ends visited in turn. Rangers took the lead after ten minutes' play when Lumsden and Mollison cut through and when Elliot advanced to narrow the angle, Lumsden prodded the ball home. Coldstream were the more impressive after this and Ford went close with a hard cross shot, while J. Bryson took a pass on the run and hit the outside of the net. Rangers replied with Hope warming Elliot's hands with a well-taken free kick. At the other end, Straffen erred in punching down a lob from the wing and, in front of the open goal, J. Bryson touched the ball past. After Ford had gone close with a powerful drive, Coldstream had appeals for a penalty rejected when Hope certainly appeared to handle. Rangers, however, return to the attack and doubled their lead when a left-wing cross from Mollison was headed home by Hunter. Sim had the ball in the net a few minutes later but he was ruled offside. Berwick, however, had found their route to goal and they were not long denied. Sim played a defence-splitting pass through to Mollison, who hit a fierce shot into the net from 15 yards. Lively play continued up to the interval, with Coldstream giving as much as they got. The second half was a disaster for the visitors. Before Rangers got into their stride, Straffen was cheered for a clever one-handed save of a Ford effort. An all-round team move saw Hunter shoot as Berwick upped their game before they were awarded a penalty on the hour. Hunter stepped up to the spot and score after which it was just a case of how many Rangers could score. A Gilchrist centre found Robinson in front of goal to score a fifth. The sixth was the result of a neat one-two between Mollison and Gilchrist, which split the Coldstream defence, for the latter to score. Hunter secured his hat trick when he rose highest in the box to meet a Hope free kick. Hunter then turned provider when he paved the way for Robinson to score his second and Berwick's eighth. Coldstream then got a look-in and J. Bryson tested Straffen with a powerful shot. However, Rangers soon returned to scoring mode and before the end Sim and Robinson brought the total to double figures.


5. Berwick Rangers received a nasty set-back when they were trounced 5-1 at Bo'ness. After putting up a good performance in the first half, they were all at sea in the second. Berwick keeper Straffen was man of the match; he might have let in five goals, but that total was eclipsed by the numerous scoring-like efforts he saved. Hope was unavailable to travel, and a reshuffled line-up played. Gilchrist moved to centre-half and Robinson left-half with Hush, who was reserve, turning out at outside-left. Further changes had to be made after a few minutes' play when Lumsden was injured, severely weakening the right wing. Bo'ness kicked off against the strong easterly wind in attacking style and a fine cross from McDonald miscarried in the wind. Rangers replied and Simpson tipped over the ball over bar from a Robinson 20-yarder following a corner. The wind was a spoiling factor, but the players generally kept the ball low. Peat burst through for the home side and was unfortunate to find the wrong side of the post from six yards out. Lindsay went close on two occasions, but it was Simpson at the other end who came closest to being beaten by a well-hit shot from Gilchrist. After this lucky escape, Bo'ness played a neat move down the right and from a pass by Lindsay, McDonald scored ten minutes from the interval. A few minutes later, McDonald went very close to doubling the lead, but Straffen made a tremendous save to deny him. Berwick had their chances, but their shots tended to carry in the wind. Bo'ness found it difficult to control the ball in the second half. They forced two early corners but without reward. Peat and Hughes had good tries, but Straffen brought off several clever saves. Rangers went close when Mollison shot past before Kennedy unleashed a tremendous 20-yarder at the Berwick goal, which was sailing for the top corner of the net before Straffen dived across the goalmouth and turned it past the post for a corner. Hunter beat several home defenders on a mazy run but finished weakly with only Simpson to beat. The game took another turn in favour of Bo'ness when Holt scored direct from a corner to put the home side two up. A few minutes later, McDonald scored a third goal before Rangers reduced the deficit when Hunter notched a well-deserved goal. However, Miller restored the home lead of three goals, and before the end Holt added another direct from a corner kick.

19. A clever hat trick by Lumsden in a 4-1 win was the highlight of the league game against Selkirk at Shielfield Park. However, the win was tarnished by the unsportsmanlike attitude of several players. Ill temper crept into the game shortly after the interval and continued throughout the second half. Players of both teams were a fault and ended with a player being sent off. The match was 35 minutes late in starting due to the late arrival of six Edinburgh-based Selkirk players and consequently only 70 minutes of football were played. Rangers were weakened with Hunter failing to appear before kick-off. Hope filled in at centre-half with Gilchrist moving back to his usual position and Hush taking Hunter's place in the forward line. Success came Berwick's way just three minutes in from the start. Nichol headed a clearance following a corner straight Mollison, who returned a powerful shot past the outstretched McCall and into the net. Sim came close to doubling the lead a few minutes later but McCall diverted his high drive over the crossbar. Selkirk got a look-in, but Straffen was on top form and punched a fierce shot by Adamson out of play. Berwick began to dominate matters and sweeping past the Selkirk defenders, who offered little opposition, Lumsden put Rangers two ahead. Goals came quick and fast in the final minutes of the first half. Adamson scored for Selkirk with a low shot into the net to reduce the score, but immediately after, Lumsden scored his second of the afternoon in a similar manner to his first. The second half was played in failing light and for the most part Rangers held the upper hand. An unexpected shot by Robinson caught the visiting keeper napping; however, luck favoured McCall, who after a struggle managed to clear his lines. Berwick pressed the visitors into their own half for a considerable time before Robinson supplied the pass for Lumsden to complete his hat-trick with a low 25-yard drive. Tensions began to boil over at this point. Robinson and a Selkirk defender were involved in a squabble. A heated argument followed and but for the timely intervention of the referee, the incident might have ended in a serious note. A similar situation prevailed a few minutes later. Hope was penalised when he went into tackle with Wakenshaw. The free kick was taken, and play proceeded on its normal course, but a minute later Wakenshaw went in hard on Hope and the referee brought the match to a stop and booked the Selkirk player. However, Wakenshaw continued arguing with the referee was ordered to leave the field.

26. After seven straight defeats in all competitions, Berwick Rangers finally beat Penicuik Athletic at the eighth time of asking with a 2-1 win in a thrilling final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. The match was played at Hawthorn Park, Duns, where recent rain had made the pitch soft but playable. Hunter returned at centre-forward in place of Hush in an otherwise unchanged Berwick side. In the very first minute a header by Hope put his goal in danger, but Cunningham stepped in to clear. Both teams took time to settle as they tested each other out. Gilchrist brough Menzies into action with a long shot, and at the Berwick end a corner taken by Cuthbert was headed just over by Dougal. Rangers made a swift move down the right, but Robinson's parting shot carried past. Another neat Berwick move split the Penicuik defence wide open but Hunter's enticing cross into the box was not taken advantage of. Sim essayed a shot which Menzies stopped, but the danger was only cleared as far as Mollison who netted easily after only ten minutes' play. A sharp retaliatory raid by Penicuik came to nothing and for a while it was all Rangers. Penicuik were lucky they lost no further ground at this stage as Berwick missed a host of chances. Mollison, after beating two defenders, just missed the goal with only the keeper to beat. Gradually, Penicuik pulled themselves back into the game, but Hope was in top form in the centre of defence and gave Dougal and Henderson little rope. Wilson did well to get through, but he shot wide from close in. Straffen did not have a save to make until late in the half when he stopped a testing shot from Dougal. There did not appear to be much chance of Rangers losing their lead in the run up to half-time, but they did. Hesitancy by King let Henderson through, and he beat Straffen with an unstoppable shot from a difficult angle. The goal jolted Berwick back into action. Rangers attacked strongly and Menzies brought off a tremendous save to stop a deflected shot from entering the net. Rangers should have been leading comfortably, but their inability to take the chances their outfield play created was the reason they were without the lead at the interval. The second half opened on quiet lines compared to the first. Robinson went close for Berwick before play moved to the other end where Straffen saved three tremendous shots in quick succession. The keeper could not have been blamed if any of the shots had beaten him and it proved to be the turning point of the match as the Penicuik attack gradually fell away. In a Rangers attack, Sim shot, and Menzies fumbled, but he managed to clear just on the goal-line. Menzies made a daring save at the feet of Hunter, and the keeper was again to the fore with a good save from a corner. Ill feeling crept into the game and for a spell play became ragged with one or two players fortunate in being allowed to finish the game. With only fifteen minutes to go it looked as if a draw would be the result. Hunter netted, but offside was given against him. However, five minutes later, Mollison sent over a cross which Robinson met close in and forced the ball past Menzies to put Rangers back in the lead with time ticking. It looked enough to carry the cup to Berwick, and so it proved to be, but not before a desperate finish in which Hunter should have put Rangers further ahead.


3. Vale of Leithen were lucky to share the points with Berwick Rangers in a high-scoring five-all draw at Victoria Park. In a score-as-you-please first half Rangers netted five of the eight goals. Vale were outclassed in the first half and were lucky to score three goals; however, they fought back after the interval to draw level. Goals were cheap as the score suggests. The reason no doubt was that both defences were weakened by the absence of several regulars. Hope was unavailable and Sim took his place at centre-half. Haldane took Sim's place in attack. Robinson, as a professional, had asked for more money, which was refused by the club, so there was no Robinson at Innerleithen, and Hush turned out as his replacement. Berwick were first to make headway, but Crawford saved well from Mollison. Vale replied and Hoy went close with a shot over the crossbar. Vale kept up the pressure and McGinley was slightly of the mark with a long shot. However, Rangers opened the scoring when McGinley left his goal to clear and completely missed the ball, leaving Hush with the easy task of shooting into the empty net. The home side upped their attack and Berry was unlucky to hit the post with Straffen well out of position; however, in the next minute he made no mistake with a low shot to draw Vale level. Vale continued to press. Waterson forced a corner, which Berry placed well, and Hoy headed into the net, only to see the goal disallowed for an infringement. Berwick were dangerous on the left, where Mollison was giving McFarlane a lot of trouble. Rangers retook the lead when Hunter, taking a pass from Hush, gave Crawford no chance. From the restart, Vale attacked en mass and King conceded a penalty, from which Waterson again levelled. The game was being played at a fast pace and Hoy should have made better use of a good pass from Waterson; however, he redeemed himself in Vale's next raid when he shot from 20-yards and the ball struck the post before rebounding into the net. Berwick were not to be denied and Lumsden, after beating several opponents, shot well out of Crawford's reach. Just on half-time, Hunter put Berwick ahead for the third time when he beat Crawford with a neat header and Mollison added a fifth from close in. The game continued at pace in the second half. Vale worked hard to get back on level terms, but the Berwick defence held out. The home side played hard at this point and Wilson had a great shot which had Straffen beaten; it looked as if Cunningham pushed the ball out, but the referee gave no indication of an infringement. However, in Vale's next raid, King put through his own goal while trying to clear a shot from Wilson. The goal gave Vale new life, and they got their just reward shortly after when Wilson, after a great run in which he outpaced several opponents, placed the ball well out of Straffen's reach. Berwick were now playing second fiddle, with Vale storming the goal, and had Straffen to thank that they did not find themselves in arrears at the end.

10. In another high-scoring match, Berwick Rangers beat Chirnside United 7-2 in the first round of the Border Cup. Heavy rain had fallen at Chirnside the night before, making Home Park sodden and ball control difficult. However, the pace of the game was fast despite the conditions. Hope returned to the side with Sim moving back into to the forward line in place of Haldane. Rangers were first to launch an attack, but Feenie cleared. Chirnside went nearer to scoring when Spence skimmed the crossbar. Sim wasted a good chance for Berwick by shooting wide from a free kick on the edge of the box. However, the first goal of the game went to Chirnside after ten minutes. King conceded a corner; Buchanan took the flag kick and Young headed it past Straffen. Rangers attacked and forced a corner, but Haldane shot just wide. After a short period of midfield play, Morrish hit a long drive which Straffen did well to save. Berwick drew level on 15 minutes when Feenie gave away a corner needlessly from which a shot from Gilchrist was deflected past Hall by Connolly. However, Chirnside took back the lead a minute later when Spence cut into centre and beat Straffen with a fast drive. After Hunter had missed narrowly, Connolly forced a corner and Spence fired past. Buchanan then outwitted the Berwick defence, only to see his cross run the length of the crossbar before dropping on the ground and hastily cleared. Rangers got a foothold in the game and Gilchrist forced Hall into making a good save. Reward came Berwick's way, however, when Mollison restored parity after a neat move. Mollison turned provider shortly after when he gathered the ball on the left and crossed to Hunter, who drew Hall from his goal before shooting into the empty net. Further disaster struck the home goal a few minutes later. While Hall and the United defence stood appealing for offside, Sim ran in on goal and scored. The referee ignored the protests and pointed firmly to the centre spot. Rangers continued to hold the upper hand, but just on half-time Straffen saved well from Buchanan at point-blank range as Chirnside launched a late attack. Chirnside continued to attack at on the restart. Buchanan was again slightly off the mark when his shot hit the side netting. Straffen saved a good effort from Young before Buchanan once again skimmed the crossbar. Berwick did better in their first offensive when Mollison beat Hall easily from the corner of the 18-yard box. Rangers had the ball in the net again a few minutes later, but offside nullified the score. Just past the hour-mark, Hall made another fatal error when he left his goal and Hunter grasped the opportunity to score Berwick's sixth goal. Buchanan tested Straffen with a shot, but he cleared confidently. Hunter scored Rangers' seventh goal of the match to complete his hat trick amid more cries for offside by the home side, but again the referee was having none of it. Chirnside made sporadic attacks, but Straffen was equal to the attempts made by Buchanan, Cunningham and a close call by Spence. Hope kept a firm hold on the ever-dangerous Young as Rangers won and won deservingly.


7. After an enforced lay-off due to snowy conditions, Rangers resumed footballing activities with a league match against Penicuik Athletic at Shielfield Park. A thin coating of snow still covered the ground, but it had disappeared before kick-off. However, owing to the frostbound earth beneath, water lay on the surface, making conditions extremely unpleasant for the players. There were changes to both teams. Sim received a head injury at work down the coal mine, he turned up but unable to play he ran the touchline. Hunter failed to appear, and his place was taken by John T. Gilchrist, a keen all-round sportsman and uncle of left-half Jimmy Gilchrist, who was home on holiday from Hong Kong and was a spectator at the match. The absence of Sim and Hunter meant some rearranging of the forward line. Penicuik too were short of their regular side, Batchelor and Burke being absentees through illness and injury with Hogg and Hay deputising. Kicking down the slope, Rangers should have been a goal up in the first minute. Haldane had a chance to run through but played the ball out to an empty wing with both Lumsden and Mollison having closed in on goal. For the first 20 minutes, Rangers were the better side, but they played a long passing game and Hogg broke up many of their moves. A neat centre by Hush into the Penicuik goalmouth saw some exciting play when Haldane tried a header but failed and Lumsden saw his effort suffer the same fate. Penicuik broke down the left and Cuthbert sent in a dangerous-looking cross, but Cunningham cleared. Although Rangers had the bulk of the play, they could not force the ball home with shots either being blocked or sent wide. Vesco drove past from J. Gilchrist clever back pass, then Haldane attempted to redirect a long drive by Hope, but the ball bounced away from the goal. Cuthbert had another breakthrough for Penicuik, but when harassed by Hope and King his shot went wide of the posts. Rangers upped their game with Hush J. T. Gilchrist and Lumsden going close. Gilchrist forced a corner which Dodds cleared, then Hush had a hard drive stopped by Ure, who was winded in the process. Penicuik's goal survived another onslaught when Menzies was lucky to find Lumsden's shot stopped on the goal-line after he had missed Vesco's header. Penicuik came back into the game with Wilson and Cuthbert striking an upright with their shots. A minute before half-time, Rangers should have taken the lead when a cross from the left found Hush unmarked on the right, but with only the keeper to beat the ball skidded off his foot and bounced clear of the goal. After a gruelling first half with nothing to show for their efforts, Rangers started the second half with thrust and determination and after five minutes' play they took the lead. Lumsden was standing a yard off the goal-line when he met a centre from Hush and steered it into the net past the stranded Menzies. A few minutes later the Penicuik keeper saved brilliantly from a Hope free kick, and he pushed a low shot from Hush around the post. The visitors came more into the game and Straffen did well to stop a waist-high drive from Hogg, and Hope did well to smother a shot from Dougal. Hope made a long clearance which Haldane ran onto; he kicked the ball too far ahead; Menzies ran and made a first-time kick at the ball which bounced off Haldane towards goal. It was between Hogg and Haldane as to who got to the ball first; it was Hogg at the expense of a corner, which Menzies cleared. Dougal then broke away, but Hope barred his progress and gave away a corner which Cuthbert drove over. Straffen made a brilliant save to deny Dodds and then made a full-length save to push a low Dougal shot around the post as Penicuik made a last-ditch attempt to salvage a point, but Rangers held on for a deserved win.

14. Berwick Rangers continued their winning sequence with a deserved 4-2 win over Duns at a frostbound Shielfield Park. Due to the conditions, the players took their time on the ball and excitement was at a premium. For the first ten minutes of the game, Duns were the sprightlier team. They were much faster than Berwick and did not appear to treat the under-foot conditions with such caution as the home players. Straffen in the Berwick goal was often in action, but he dealt with the bouncing balls and straight shots alike. Rangers eventually found their feet. Lumsden and Mollison made progress, but the Duns defence cleared at the expense of corners. At the other end, Duns went close when Bowie headed straight into Straffen's hands when it seemed easier to score. Hope then made a rash clearance, allowing Watson a clear shot at goal, but his effort was wide of the mark. Mollison beat three defenders on a mazy run into the Duns half before passing to Lumsden, whose drive at goal was fisted clear by W. Watson. However, Duns opened the scoring when Hope failed to cut out an easy cross from Brown to Learmonth, who ran through to strike the crossbar and the ball rebounded to the unmarked T. Watson on the wing, who scored with a simple shot. Rangers upped their game at this point and took the lead with two goals in two minutes. Hunter scored with a low shot following a corner, and a minute later Mollison crossed into the box, Lumsden played in on, and Hunter headed it firmly into the net. Not disturbed by the sudden change in the game, Duns pressed and Straffen had to fist clear a long, fast drive by Learmonth. Duns were unlucky not to level the score before half-time when Watson struck the upright and later, with only Straffen to beat, he shot narrowly wide. Territorially, Berwick fared better than Duns in the second half, but their superiority was not marked to any high degree. As in the first half, however, the better football came from the Rangers. Berwick pressed and forced two corners in quick succession before Mollison put Rangers further ahead. Haldane had a good opening but opted to play the ball out to the wing. It did not appear that Mollison would gain possession, yet he doubled back, got the ball, and let fly with a left-footed shot. In its flight, the ball took a deflection off a defender and bounced past Watson, who seemed to slip in the goalmouth. Rangers were on a high. Hunter just failed to connect with a Mollison cross before Hush just failed to beat Watson from very close range. Shortly after, Hunter robbed the keeper of the ball, hesitated, then shot for goal, but King got back in time to clear before the ball crossed the line. Duns pulled a goal back with a superb quick-fire move. Lumsden lost possession in midfield to Brown, who played the ball up the wing for Watson to cross into the goalmouth where Learmonth drove it well out of Straffen's reach into the far corner. Rangers pressed almost continually until the end. Hush missed another good chance, but he atoned for his miss later. Lying unmarked, and five yards from goal, Hush stopped a cross from Mollison and after steading himself shot the ball past Watson to complete the scoring.

21. A crowd of over six thousand turned out to watch the first round Scottish Cup tie at Rugby Park between Kilmarnock and Berwick Rangers. Although Rangers were well beaten 6-1, they played with grit and determination and held their illustrious opponents at bay until the 20th minute. Their reward was a share of the gate which amounted to over £118. Kilmarnock attacked from the very first minute. Vesco and King combined well to clear from Borthwick, and Gilchrist blocked a Thomson effort. Two corners fell in quick succession as the home side made a forceful bid for an early goal, but swift tackling by Hope, King and Cunningham frustrated all attempts at scoring. Cunningham made an excellent clearance which let Mollison away, but he was stopped in his tracks by Robertson. Hope stopped the ball from whizzing past him with his hand and the resultant free kick saw Straffen called into with the keeper stopping a header by Ross and then held a powerful shot from McAvoy. Rangers had their first shot on the Kilmarnock goal on 12 minutes when Haldane shot from the wing, but the shot lacked pace and Hunter saved with ease. King headed clear from a Thomson effort and Hope barred Reid's progress through the centre with a solid tackle. Three shots by McAvoy, Ross and Reid were safely gathered by Straffen before Vesco cleared and set up a Berwick attack which was put a sudden stop by Milroy. Kilmarnock kept up the pressure, forcing three corners, and took the lead on 20 minutes with a disputed penalty. Hope was penalised for what looked like a timely and fair tackle on Thomson, but the referee saw in otherwise. Thomson took the spot kick and placed it high into the net. Two minutes later, Ross missed the easiest of chances from a Borthwick cross and shortly after that McAvoy and Thomson struck the woodwork as the pressure continued. A sudden thrust by Lumsden and Mollison got Berwick as near to the Kilmarnock goal as they had been so far. Turnbull fouled Mollison and Gilchrist shot for goal from the free kick; however, its force was spent by the distance the ball had to travel and Hunter cleared. After another spell of pressing by Kilmarnock, Rangers attacked, and Mollison's shot was saved by Hunter with a superb one-handed clearance. Gilchrist forced the keeper into conceding a corner, but Milroy quickly changed defence into attack. Borthwick raced up the wing and drove narrowly past. Thomson struck the crossbar with a powerful shot and Vesco nipped in just in time to stop Borthwick from scoring with the rebound. Rangers were taken completely by surprise by the speed in which Kilmarnock double their lead. The ball was quickly swept in from the left to Ross, who played it through for McAvoy to shoot past Straffen. The Berwick keeper made an excellent save just before the change of ends when Ross slipped through between Hope and King and, in a one-on-one, he stood up to Ross and stopped the shot. During the second half, Kilmarnock forced 15 to 20 corners so much was the pressure Rangers faced. The home forwards missed serval gilt-edged chances, and once McAvoy shot past with Straffen out of his goal. Mollison, Haldane, Mollison and Sim all had shots on the Kilmarnock goal in a brief spell of Berwick pressure, but they were either off target or easily saved. Rangers held out until the 60th minute when Borthwick ran in on goal and forced the ball under the advancing Straffen. A minute later, Ross atoned for his earlier misses by scoring with hard drive through Straffen's outstretched hands. Borthwick scored again on 77 minutes with an angled shot from close in before Ross scored when from only a few yards out he smashed the ball into the roof of the net two minutes later. Six goals up, Kilmarnock slackened the pace and Rangers came more into the game. Hunter beat three defenders and drew the keeper before playing the ball to Sim, whose shot deserved a better fate. Berwick then forced a corner, but Mollison shot past before Hunter twice had chances. In the last minute, Hunter was fouled on a run into the box and, after every player had shied off taking the resultant spot kick, Mollison ran up and drove the ball out of Hunter's reach for a consolation goal. Although well beaten, Rangers ended the game on the attack and were complemented for being a "ninety-minute" team.

28. Ninety minutes of hard labour at Shielfield Park saw Berwick Rangers beat Dunbar Town 6-1. After heavy rain the ground was ankle deep in mud and water, but the game went on. Three goals in 25 minutes in the first half and three more in the second was an achievement on such a heavy-going pitch. Apart from Shanks replacing Haldane, Rangers fielded the same battling team that faced Kilmarnock. Dunbar opened on the attack and spent the first few minutes of the game pelting Straffen from all angles, but they fade out. Berwick got a look-in and Hunter was unlucky to lose his footing in the box and Harkness gathered before clearing the danger. Lumsden then drove a Mollison pass wide of the post before Rangers took the lead on five minutes when Hunter dashed out from a bunch of players and headed a well-placed centre by Mollison into the net. Dunbar replied and Hope ran the ball out when pressed, and from the resulting corner Whyte headed over the bar. Hunter was caught offside several times as Rangers resumed the attack. Harkness turned the ball around the post and then saved a dangerous shot from Gilchrist, who later brought the keeper to his knees with a low and powerfully hit shot. Hunter doubled Berwick's lead with an exact replica of his first, with Mollison placing the corner and his head doing the rest. Hunter was a constant menace to the Town defenders. After a series of corners, Hunter played the ball in from the left and, after beating player after player, he hit the back of the net with a forceful shot to put Rangers three ahead after 25 minutes. A penalty was then awarded against Berwick. Hope appeared to be the culprit. Grant took the kick and beat Straffen with a swift shot. The remainder of the first half saw each end visited in turn with Hunter caught offside when Rangers and attacked and the solid Berwick defence blocking the Dunbar attack in turn. It was nearly all Berwick in the second half. Hunter brushed his way through the home defence, but Harkness cleared. Shortly after, Harkness got his hands to a slanting shot by Mollison but could not hold it and the ball landed in the back of the net to put Rangers 4-1 ahead. Berwick kept up the pressure and practically every member of the attack had a punt on goal. A spectacular run down the right from Shanks paved the way for Berwick's fifth. Shanks played in a centre which found Mollison unmarked and in a good position to hit a first-time shot high into the roof of the net. Hunter was presented with the chance of a lifetime to score but he slipped on the point of shooting and Harkness cleared. Dunbar made a brief attack, but Hope made a great clearance to prevent Selkirk from getting through and shortly after Straffen made a superb point-blank save to stop the same player. With time running out, Rangers got their sixth. Facing an open goal, Hunter fumbled his kick and Harkness cleared with ease, but the keeper was not as lucky with a shot from Gilchrist which sped through his outstretched hands and into the top of the net.


4. Entrance into the second round of the King Cup was an easy one for Berwick Rangers with a 10-1 victory over Civil Service Strollers at Shielfield Park. Ten goals did not flatter Berwick. The Strollers were a shadow of the team of seasons past when they were among the elite of the East of Scotland League. The pitch was still in a sorry state and there was a troublesome wind. Rangers fought against the elements in the first half and several promising shots were blown off course. The result was Berwick scored on only two occasions. The rest came later with nine goals netted in the second half, eight by Berwick and one by the visitors. The opening exchanges were even. After Haldane had driven across the goalmouth, Barrie raced down the wing to bring Straffen into action. Haldane was unlucky not to score in a one-on-one with Hastie, the keeper making a full-length save to keep the ball out. However, the opening goal was farcical. The ball was travelling slowly towards the visitors' goal. Full-backs McQueen and Rathie dashed towards it, collided, fell in a heap, and were immediately joined by their keeper, leaving Haldane with simple task of walking the ball into the empty net. Hush scored a spectacular goal to double Berwick's lead when he dived headlong to direct Mollison's centre past Hastie. Rangers should have gone further ahead but many chances went abegging. They were ever on the move and the Strollers' goal had a charmed existence with Hastie saving well from Hush, Mollison and Haldane. The visitors made some sporadic attacks, but their shots were either too high, too wide or straight at Straffen. The second half was 45 minutes of pure shooting practice. The visitors open brightly, even though they conceded a goal in the opening minute when Haldane netted a simple goal. The Strollers pulled a goal back when a misunderstanding in the Berwick defence between Hope and Straffen allowed Goodfellow to run through and score from a Thompson centre. Hastie prevented further goals when he cleared powerful drives by Mollison and Sim. Mollison sent over some excellent crosses from which Sim and Haldane scored goals numbers four and five. Sim scored Rangers' sixth with a rebound after Haldane had brought Hastie to his knees. Gilchrist scored number seven when he tricked a defender after picking up a cross from the right. Then Sim crossed high into the centre where Rathie, attempting to clear, headed it on to the unmarked Mollison, who had little difficulty in beating Hastie. Hush scored number nine from Mollison's well-placed corner kick. Scobie netted from a Hush cross, but the goal failed to count due to Haldane being in an offside position. However, double figures were reached when Gilchrist notched his second goal.

11. In a game of two halves dictated by the blustery wind, the match between Berwick Rangers and Peebles Rovers at Shielfield Park looked destined to end a goal-less draw. Peebles had had the better of the first half and held Berwick out for just over 40 minutes of the second, but a late goal gave Rangers both points. There was only one change to the Berwick team with George Mollison, brother of Angus, given a trial in place of Vesco, who was out with influenza. Rovers won the toss and decided to kick in the direction of the strong westerly wind. However, Rangers were first to go close when Scobie drew the defence and sent over a delightful cross into the goalmouth where Hush just failed to connect. Peebles then attacked with Ormiston and Anderson skimming the crossbar. Barker hit the back of the net with a long drive, but offside ruled it out. A superb inter-passing move involving Haldane, Hush and Scobie ended with Haldane just missing the woodwork by inches. Walker tried a quick-fire shot, but Straffen cleared at the expense of a corner. Rangers forced their way into the Peebles half and twice Steel ran out to clear. Peebles then put the Berwick goal under pressure, but King and Cunningham used the offside trap to good effect. A series of corners fell to the visitors and from one of these Wylie should have given his side the lead when Hope cleared on the goal-line after Straffen was caught unsighted. Haldane came close to giving Berwick an interval lead when, after a fine bit of anticipation, he guessed right that Rathie would pass back to Steel, and he almost beat the keeper to the ball. With the wind now behind Berwick in the second half, Steel was more often in action than he had been in the first. He cleared long-range shots from Hope and Gilchrist, but Rangers, like Peebles, found their shots rising over the crossbar. Hush tested the side netting with a powerful shot, while at the other end Straffen prevented a goal by beating Rabin to an Anderson cross. Rangers went close to scoring on three occasions when Haldane sent in a surprise shot which Steel did well to save; then Scobie slammed the crossbar, and Hush drove just wide of the post with a powerful shot. Shortly after, Hush headed straight into Steel's hands from close in before Straffen saved the Rangers goal by diving at the feet of Walker. Then, when the game looked like ending goal-less, Gilchrist scored the winning goal with three minutes remaining. Berwick were awarded a corner kick; A. Mollison centred, and Gilchrist placed the ball into the net between two defenders with a low shot.

18. Berwick Rangers' unbeaten home run, of 12 straight wins, came to an end when they were beaten 4-1 by Bo'ness in the second round of the King Cup. Rangers might have been beaten but they were certainly not overwhelmed. Berwick missed two penalties and lost the services of Sim before half-time due to injury. The Rangers' forward line was not very strong to begin with, but Sim's absence made matters worse. Haldane and Scobie were unavailable with trialist Bryce and Robinson taking their places up front and Vesco returned to the half-back line. Berwick were further disadvantage by the continued unavailability of Lumsden and Hunter. For the first 15 minutes Bo'ness were scarcely out of their own half. Rangers looked easy winners but lacked finishing power and Bo'ness defended with determination. In the opening minute Robinson tried a long shot which went wide of the mark. Shortly after, a penalty was awarded when Higgins handled, but Mollison struck the base of the post. It was all Berwick. Hush forced a corner, but Vesco misjudged his position and shot wide. A breakaway by Robinson gave Sim the chance of a long shot, but Hunter dashed across his goal to save at the expense of a corner. Sim and Robinson had further efforts stopped by Hunter before the Berwick defence stopped a dangerous attacking move from McPherson and Peat. Robinson brought Hunter to his knees with a fast shot from the left. Bo'ness then reached the Berwick end and Straffen ran out to clear, but Hope dispensed the danger threatened by Innes. Robinson figured in a move which turned defence into attack, but Hush shot just past. Rangers certainly had Bo'ness in a tangle, but there was never a shot which looked like counting. Sim was then injured and left the field for treatment. A brilliant save by Straffen from a likewise shot by Sayers kept the Berwick goal intact. Later, the visitors missed a glorious chance to take the lead when Sayers place the ball to Peat in the goalmouth. Straffen was lying on the ground and Peat looked certain to score, but King intervened, and Peat lifted his shot over the bar. After a goal-less first half, and with Berwick down to ten men, the second opened with Bo'ness taking an early lead when Holt score with a simple shot from a Sayer pass. However, the lead did not last long as a shot from Vesco was helped into the net by Hush with a headlong dive into the net. Bo'ness's second goal came from a well-judge header by Sayers which totally deceived Straffen. Four minutes later Peat scored the visitors' third from a McPherson pass. Play was now definitely in favour of Bo'ness and when Berwick appealed for offside, Peat ran on to notch goal number four. A free kick was awarded to Bo'ness on the edge of the box, but Kennedy drove past. Rangers were then awarded a second penalty against Hunter for a foul on Vesco, but the keeper saved Hush's shot. Afterwards, the game became scrappy with numerous infringements being made by both sides as the players settled old scores up to the end with Rangers made to suffer for their early short cummings with their first home defeat of the season.

25. Although beaten 2-1, Coldstream deserved at least a share of the points when they met Berwick Rangers at Home Park. The Streamers had as much possession as the Rangers, but after taking the lead they gave away an easy goal and Berwick score late in the half to take both points. Rangers were without the services of keeper Straffen, who was playing in an amateur international trial at Edinburgh and Miller of Ayton United deputised between the posts. Scobie in for Hope was the only other change. Coldstream won the toss and took advantage of the wind and sun by kicking towards the south goal. They started off in promising fashion and soon attacked the Berwick goal. A clever clearance by King transferred play to the other end and Robinson sent in a fast shot which skimmed the crossbar. Back came Coldstream and a good move by J. Bryson and Ford ended in the latter sending narrowly past. Miller was later called upon to clear his lines from J. Woodcock, and a clever centre by Fairbairn was intercepted by Cunningham in the nick of time when Ford was in a scoring position. Hope was proving to be the stumbling block for the home side as he broke up several promising moves. King and Cunningham used the offside trap to good use, but they were eventually outwitted by J. Woodcock, who beat Miller in a race for the ball to put Coldstream ahead on 20 minutes. Rangers put the home goal under pressure and Elliot had to deal with a powerful header by Bryce and later a low shot from Mollison. Subsequent play up to the interval was fast and even, but Robinson came close to levelling the score with a low shot which Elliot saved with a superb full-length save. Rangers were first to attack on the restart. Hope tried a long shot and Bryce was dispossessed of the ball by F. Bryson when he was on the point of shooting. Robinson went close on more than one occasion, but the Coldstream defence was giving little away. Romanes transferred play to the Berwick end and Miller was fortunate to clear from J. Bryson. However, after a short spell of pressure, Gilchrist cleared, and Rangers secured an equaliser with a simple goal. Robinson sent in a soft, low shot which Elliot thought was going wide; he allowed the ball roll past him and was dismayed when it trickled into the net. Coldstream were disheartened and it was only the brilliant keeping by Elliot that prevented Berwick scoring again on several occasions. Elliot made amends for his earlier mistake with saves from Mollison, Scobie and Robinson. However, the keeper was finally beaten following the last of a series of corners from which Scobie placed well and Hope gave Elliot no chance with a header. Coldstream tried hard to get back on level terms, but they met a resolute defence. Berwick found the same situation at the other end. F. Bryson rounded of a good move in the last few minutes when he turned defence into attack but could not force the ball home with the Berwick goal at his mercy.


4. Despite Berwick Rangers winning 3-1, the match against Edinburgh University at Shielfield Park could only be described as disappointing. The students refused to let Berwick settle and pounced at every opportunity. Poor finishing from both forward lines abruptly ended some promising midfield moves. Twice in the first five minutes Haldane placed shots over the crossbar; the first was excusable but the second from close range was unexpected. Two free kicks were awarded to the visitors but these from Stewart and Sutherland, were easily disposed of by Straffen. The next incident of note was Mollison's drawing of the defence to slip the ball over to Robinson, but his rather erratic kick sailed well wide of the post. Stevenson was a yard too slow to catch a cross by A. Johnston, and his shot crashed into the outside of the Berwick net. Robinson passed out to A Mollison centre was met by Hush, but his shot was stopped by Clunas, and Vesco ran in only to send his rising shot over the crossbar. Clunas also got in the way of a good effort by Scobie. The visiting defenders were quick and alert and spoiled a lot of Berwick attacks. Sutherland nipped in to stop Scobie from getting in on goal before a header of his nearly counted a few minutes later. A neat flick of the head almost gained the students a goal but Hope cleared Yule's header. Rangers took the lead when Tunstall cleared a shot by Hush and the ball drifted out to Gilchrist, who returned a fast shot out of the keeper's reach into the far corner of the net. The Uni players were lucky two minutes later when Sutherland misheaded when trying to clear a powerful drive and the ball, which could have been safely gathered by Tunstall, struck the crossbar. Straffen then made a top-notch save from Yule which turned defence into attack; Scobie raced down the wing and crossed to the unmarked Mollison, who did the rest to put Rangers two ahead at the interval. Rangers did not play much better in the second half. Apart from a simple goal scored by Haldane when Clunas and Tunstall hesitated, Rangers did not look like scoring nor did they. Tunstall thought Clunas was going for the ball, and vice versa, leaving Haldane an almost open goal. Yule scored the visitors' only goal when he dashed upfield, beat Hope, and when Straffen advanced, he lifted the ball over the keeper and into the net. Twice, later Yule had a shot on the Berwick goal, but on both occasions, he placed the ball just wide of the post.

11. Berwick Rangers were hit for six by Peebles Rovers at Whitestone Park. However, it was not as bad as the scoreline suggested, as two of the goal were questionable, but Rangers were still well beaten. Berwick made defensive mistakes and, rightly, they were made to pay for them. During the second half, Rangers pressed continually. Peebles, on the other hand, had very few raids, but when they did, they made them count. Forcing a corner in the opening minutes, Berwick came close to scoring when Hunter's header just cleared the crossbar. Walker transferred play to the other end, and from his cross Cornelius went close with a shot just wide of the post. Rovers seemed to be finding the heavy conditions more to their liking and pressed Rangers into their own half. It took the best efforts of Straffen to clear a hard drive from Walker before Rangers counter attacked and Shepherd made a brilliant save at point-blank range from Lumsden. In the ensuing play, Rovers seemed well set to score, but offside spoiled a quick flowing move. The home team were not to be denied, however, and from a Cornelius corner kick Hailstones headed in the opening goal. Rangers were not long in levelling the score when Hunter found the net after putting the home goal under immense pressure. Sim struck the cross bar with the Rovers' keeper well beaten as Berwick kept pressing. However, Walker came to the rescue and from his cross Cornelius put Rovers back in the lead. Two minutes later, the home team went further ahead when Walker scored. Rovers scored twice more through Wylie early in the second half, but the goals were hotly disputed by Berwick. The first goal struck the post and rolled along the goal-line without crossing it; and the second was not within a foot of the goal-line. It was further argued that the referee was not keeping up with the pace of the game and could not have properly judged whether they were goals or not. However, Rangers fought back strongly, but Peebles added another goal through Walker. Towards the close, Mollison scored a second Berwick goal to make the final score look a bit more respectable. Though heavily beaten, Rangers were by no means out of the game. The home defence held their attack in check, and they came out of the game pointless but with much credit.

18. Another disappointing performance saw Berwick Rangers lose two more league points with a 2-0 defeat against Duns at Hawthorn Park. Duns were bar far the better side overall and should have scored more goals than the two scored in the first half by Broadley. Rangers fielded what was considered their strongest side and were first to attack with a concerted move, which was frustrated by the home defence. At the other end, Johnston broke through, but shot over. There was little between the teams in the opening exchanges. Ferguson was prominent for the home team as was Broadley, who had a great early chance after being played through by Watson, but he shot over. From a fine cross by Brown, Broadley put Duns ahead with a low shot and a few minutes later, Johnston missed with a good shot. Midway through the half, Robinson missed a glorious chance for Berwick when unmarked and in front of an open goal he somehow shot over the crossbar. Straffen showed his capabilities as a goalkeeper as he kept the Duns attack out, while at the other end Mollison hit the crossbar. Hunter tested Watson, but the keeper was equal to the occasion. Subsequent play was scrappy, with Duns doing most of the pressing, and from a corner by Watson, Broadley scored another goal just before the interval. The sides were even in the second half, with play never reaching anywhere near the standard of the first. Watson shot past with a close-range shot early on, and Hunter was through on the Duns goal only to shoot against Watson, who had advanced well out of his goal. Offside held up Broadley and Brown missed badly from a good position. Rangers had a spell of late pressure but little of note as the game fizzled out.


1. After a free week due to Gala Fairydean cancelling the match, at Galashiels, Berwick Rangers faced League leaders Bo'ness at Shielfield Park. Berwick's downward slide continued with a 5-2 defeat, but no one could grudge Bo'ness the win as they were better in all departments and fully deserved the points. The visitors turned an early Berwick lead into a 3-1 half-time advantage and after displaying more fire power in the second half carried off both points after scoring twice more. Rangers were on top in the opening ten minutes, playing constructive football and seldom wasting a ball. Berwick took the lead when Mollison drew the Bo'ness defence and centred to Robinson, who did all that was necessary from short range. Robinson went close again a minute or two later, but his shot went wide. Bo'ness began to press but Peat for a while could not get the better of Straffen, although he tried from numerous angles. As Bo'ness upped the pace, the early promise shown by the Rangers forwards faded into obscurity. On 28 minutes, Dungall beat Vesco and King before sending over a cross from the left; it cleared the heads of the Berwick defence and landed at the feet of Peat, who finally beat Straffen with a low 12-yard shot to level the score. Bo'ness continued to have the run of the game and five minutes before the interval Peat scored a second from within a crowded goalmouth. Two minutes later, Dungall shot home a third following a corner and at half-time everyone realised it was all over bar the shouting. Bo'ness made a whirlwind start to the second half. Straffen was bewildered with a 25-yard drive from Holt, which had to be picked from the back of the net. The fifth goal came midway through the half when Hope collied with Straffen as the keeper ran out to clear and Peat completed his hat trick when he nipped in and walked the ball into the net. At this point, many supporters had seen enough and were seen leaving the ground. However, Robinson launched the next move from which Rangers pulled a goal back when his pass found Hunter, who played it through for Haldane to score with a low shot just inside the left-hand post. Shortly after, Rangers were awarded a penalty for a foul on Mollison just inside the box. Mollison took the spot kick but sent it at least three yards wide of the post, after which the referee blew for time up.

8. Berwick Rangers played Penicuik Athletic for the fourth time this season when the teams met in the semi-final of the Border Cup at the Royal Hotel Park. A hard and fast game was served up, which Penicuik won 3-1. Berwick made a few promising raids, but as usual poor finishing let them down. Penicuik had made a few changes to their regular side but still had Dougal up front and would have otherwise looked a very ordinary team without him. Rangers made only one change with Hush, who swapped places with Robinson, in for Vesco. Penicuik had four gilt-edged opportunities of scoring; they took three and missed one – a penalty which Straffen saved. The home team's goals were all scored in the opening half but were flattered by their lead at the interval. Two of the goals were snap shots which caught the Berwick defence napping. On play, a draw would have been a true reflection of the first forty-five. Rangers were first in action, but an offside infringement doomed the attack. Penicuik then swept through the Berwick defence, and Wilson's fast shot skimmed the crossbar. Donoghue made the opening which resulted in the home side taking the lead; Wilson was the scorer with a close-range shot. Rangers retaliated with Lumsden missing the ball completely when in an excellent position, and after a spot of clever footwork, Hush struck the side-netting with a rising shot. The pace of the game was fast with both defences on top. However, the Berwick defence had to admit defeat on 40 minutes when Cowan netted from the left following a neat Cuthbert pass into the six-yard box. A minute before the interval, a fine move by Henderson paved the way for Cowan to net Penicuik's third of the first half. Two penalties were awarded within a minute of each other in the second half, one for each side. Berwick's came first, with which Hope hit the back of the net after sending Robertson the wrong way, and Straffen saved Henderson's effort by tipping it overt the crossbar for an unproductive corner. Both goals were heavily attacked in the close stages of the half. However, with the Rangers forwards constantly at fault with their wild kicking and Straffen in top form at the other end, no more goals were scored, and Penicuik entered the final round at Berwick's expense.

15. After four successive defeats, Berwick Rangers hit Selkirk for six in a convincing manner at Ettrick Park. Rangers made team changes with upcoming local player John "Tanner" Davidson included in the forward line in place of Hush; utility man Vesco replaced Hunter at centre-forward and Scobie replaced Mollison; Robinson remained in the half-back line and the changes worked wonders. Berwick took the lead before an opponent had even touched the ball. Rangers defended their slender lead until the interval despite facing the strong wind, which at times reached gale force, and the new-look forward line did their job in the second half as Selkirk weakened under heavy pressure and the Berwick total soared to six. Straight from the kick-off, Vesco cut through the home defence to beat McCall with a lovely effort. Rangers kept pressing and forced three corners in quick succession before Scobie sent over the bar. Straffen then distinguished himself with several fine clearances and particularly when he held a shot from Douglas which looked net bound all the way. Lumsden was unlucky not to put Rangers further ahead when McCall saved his powerful shot at the foot of the post. Quick on the ball, Berwick made light of the wind and the home defence had a gruelling time before Plews dribbled clear to relieve the pressure. Selkirk took up the attack with Douglas and Smith combining well and Straffen cleared the former' s shot with difficulty. Watson went close with a well-taken free kick for the Soutars. A minute later, Haldane made ground for Berwick and McCall did well to save his shot at the expense of a corner, which Brown cleared. Plews played his way into the goalmouth, but King got across to dispossess him in the act of shooting. Selkirk were attacking strongly at this stage and Rangers had King to thank for some fine clearances when the defence was hard pressed. Scobie missed a great chance to put Berwick further ahead when he shot weakly with only the keeper to beat. With the wind in their favour, Rangers overwhelmed the Soutars in the second half. Selkirk were seldom in the picture and their sporadic raids were generally easy repelled. Lumsden doubled Berwick's lead in the early minutes when he found the net direct from the wing. Clever wing-work down the left, initiated by Gilchrist, finished with Scobie making the total three with a well-hit shot which left McCall helpless. Vesco scored a fourth with an obviously wind-assisted shot, and shortly after Lumsden added another. The overworked Selkirk defence was being put through the mill, and before the end Davidson capped his debut by heading a sixth into the back of the net.

The match versus Selkirk was to be Berwick's last League game of the season. Rangers were due to host Peebles YMCA at Shielfield Park on Saturday 22nd, but the YMCA called off due to financial and team raising difficulties. There was a growing resentment amongst the East of Scotland League clubs on the matter of late call offs and the financial consequences. It was expected that clubs playing in a league should all play the same number of games. However, Edinburgh University had only played 12 games, Penicuik Athletic 13, Gala Fairydean 14, and Leith Amateurs 16. To make matter worse, the games did not seem to be profitable. Several clubs were wondering how they were going to carry on, with such little or no return. The bugbear seemed to be the payments made to "imported" players and a call was made to restrict member clubs to playing more local talent. It was said that the League could well do without such distant teams as Bo'ness, Edinburgh University, Leith Amateurs, and possibly Penicuik Athletic. That would leave ten clubs, which would be sufficient to give plenty of competition. There were, unfortunately, clubs which made little effort to meet their match commitments and calls were made to finally address the on-going problem.


6. Berwick Rangers beat Duns 3-1 in the semi-final round of the Berwickshire Senior Charity Cup at Shielfield Park. Victory went to right side, but credit was due to Duns for their defensive tactics. Time and time again they frustrated the efforts of the Berwick attack. Sherlaw and Walker, who had both previously played for Peebles Rovers this season, turned out for Berwick, with the visitors fielded an all-local team including some guests. Duns threatened the Berwick goal in the first minute. A free kick was awarded just outside the box from which Murray struck the crossbar. The next few minutes were busy ones for Straffen, but he dealt ably with shots from Anderson and Learmonth. Rangers upped their game and Scobie let Vesco away, but the latter was beaten for the ball by Miller, who ran from his goal to clear. Scobie went close shortly after when he pounced on a Lumsden centre, tricked a defender, and skimmed the Duns post with a well-hit shot. Straffen made a brilliant save from a low Anderson shot before Gilchrist, from a free kick, and Sim, with a long-range drive, fired over the Duns crossbar. A powerful shot by Vallance was caught in superb style by Straffen. Vesco then had the chance of a lifetime to open the scoring when he accepted Sim's push down the middle, but when ideally positioned he shot wide of the mark. However, two goals were then scored in as many minutes. Vesco played Scobie through to put Berwick ahead from close range. A minute later Duns were level when Fullerton pushed a low moderately paced shot along the ground and Cunningham in attempting to clear, knocked it out of Straffen's reach. When half time arrived, it was anybody's game with the opening half honours even. However, Duns began to tire in the second half and had Miller in goal to thank for keeping the score down. Following a few futile Berwick raids, Learmonth had a shot at goal, but was a yard or so out of range. Rangers then began to press. Miller was kept busy while Straffen stood at ease at the other end watching the Duns keeper making saves from all angles. However, as had been evident throughout the season, poor finishing let the Rangers front line down. Berwick finally found the net late in the game when Robinson initiated a move which led to Davidson crossing accurately for Vesco to restore Berwick's lead with a deflected shot into the net off Laing. Lumsden settled the issue a minute later when, following a scrimmage in front of the Duns goal, he beat Wood and tapped the ball past the advancing Miller.

13. In the final of the Berwickshire Senior Charity Cup played at Hawthorn Park, Duns, Rangers were overwhelmed by Chirnside United in the second half. In the first half Rangers were well on top, with Chirnside lucky to be on level terms at the interval. However, Chirnside upped their game after the interval and six second-half goals gave them a 7-1 victory. Berwick showed two changes to their team with Dougal, of Penicuik Athletic, and Shanks taking the places of Davidson and Sim. Rangers attacked from the kick-off, but Thomson was a steadying influence in the Chirnside defence. Each end was visited in turn, but Rangers were more in evidence. Vesco won a corner from which Walker sent in powerful shot that Hall tipped over the crossbar. A few minutes later, Vesco hit the crossbar and the ball rebounded back into play. Rangers were now well on top. Scobie shot narrowly past with a long-range shot before the pressure finally told and Vesco put Berwick ahead. In a sharp retaliation, Spence shot over, but Rangers soon returned to the attack. Shanks put the Chirnside goal in danger and Feenie made a good clearance. At the other end, Whitelaw got in a shot, but Straffen saved well. The game was fast with Rangers still having the edge, but Chirnside equalised against the run of play when Young scored following a well-placed Whitelaw corner. Chirnside came more into the game after this, but not to such an extent that they were going to run away with the match. The second half opened on even lines. A cross by Whitelaw was headed over by Young; then at the other end, Walker had the ball in the net, but Vesco was ruled offside, and it was ruled no goal. Whitelaw then hit the upright with Straffen beaten. Cunningham and Gilchrist made a big mistake in allowing Whitelaw clear runs and in doing so were inviting trouble and trouble came. Whitelaw caught the Rangers' defence in a tangle and, with a low shot, beat Straffen. A third goal came United's way when McIntee netted while Rangers made strong claims for a foul. Berwick's heads went down, and Chirnside ran riot with 20 minutes still to go. Brown, Whitelaw and Young, twice, added further goals to make the rout complete.

At the clubs AGM it was reported that Berwick Rangers had a balance of £45, on a turnover of £718 6s 1d, while the Supporters' Club had over £150. Never had the club's finances been in such fortune. Average league match receipts for the 1938/39 season were £8 12s 7d compared with £6 18s 7d the previous year. There had been six home cup ties this year with the average takings being £15 9s 6d. Last year there had been one cup tie from which £4 10s had been the outcome. The highest gate this season was £23 10s 6d when they played Bo'ness. The smallest was £7 5s when they played Coldstream. Whilst support at home matches had increased the club would still have been at a lost without the backing of the Supporters' Club.

The Supporters' Club was the third of its kind. It was first started in November 1927 when the football club was in debt to the tune of £300 and was trying to make ends meet. It was carried on for four years and during that time raised £360, which saved the club. When Rangers' treasurer and secretary Arthur Cairns and his committee resigned, another committee with different financial ideas took over and the club again found itself in debt. The Supporters' Club did not see eye-to-eye with this committee and withdrew their support. Another Supporters' Club was started but faded out of the picture after a year. The present Supporters' Club started two and half years ago, had kept working all year round, and had over 500 members. So much had the Supporters' Club helped Berwick Rangers over the last few seasons, it was thought by many that if anything happened to the Supporters' Club it would be the finish of Berwick Rangers.

The season had been a successful one overall with cup runs being the main feature. Rangers finished fourth in the East of Scotland League with 25 points from 19 games played. In the King Cup Berwick lost 4-1 to Bo'ness at the second-round stage. Rangers were soundly beaten in the final of the Berwickshire Senior Charity Cup 7-1 by Chirnside United. Penicuik Athletic proved a stumbling block with the teams meeting in three cup competitions. Rangers reached the semi-final of the Border Cup but lost to Penicuik Athletic 3-1. However, Berwick won the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, beating Penicuik 2-1 in the final at Hawthorn Park, Duns. Rangers were beaten 3-1 in the semi-final of the Scottish Qualifying Cup by eventual winners Penicuik Athletic, but as semi-finalist they qualified for the first-round proper of the Scottish Cup and went on to face Kilmarnock at Rugby Park. Berwick were beaten 6-1 by Kilmarnock but gave a good account of themselves and returned with a £118 share of the gate.

The club was quick to sign on players with Jimmy. Gilchrist, Archie Telfer, ex-Tranent, Jack Straffen, Charlie Vesco, David. Sherlaw, ex-Peebles Rovers, Davie Dougal ex-Penicuik athletic, Chic Robinson, Bill Cunningham, Tom Shanks, Alex Lumsden, John Davidson and William Walker, ex-Peebles Rovers, putting pen to paper. Other signings were also expected, but the ever-changing political situation in Europe was causing concern.