1931/32: Almost Local


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 15 ESL A Selkirk L 2-3
22 ESL H Clerwood Amateurs L 4-8
29 ESL H Peebles Rovers W 2-1
Sep 5 EQC 1 H Leith Amateurs W 6-0
12 SQC 1 H Coldstream W 5-2
19 EQC 2 H Murrayfield Amateurs W 3-0
26 SQC 2 A Vale of Leithen D 3-3
Oct 3 SQC 2R H Vale of Leithen W 2-1
10 SQC 3 A Murrayfield Amateurs L 1-4
17 BC 1 H Coldstream W 5-1
24 ESL H Duns D 2-2
31 ESL A Chirnside United W 2-1
Nov 7 ESL & EQC SF H Vale of Leithen W 3-2
14 BC 2 H Chirnside United W 6-0
21 ESL H Jed Artisans W 5-4
28 EQC F H Penicuik Athletic D 5-5
Dec 5 EQC FR A Penicuik Athletic L 1-3
12 ESL A Clerwood Amateurs L 2-5
19 ESL H Chirnside United L 2-4
25 F H Spittal Rovers D 0-0
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 9 ESL H Coldstream W 3-2
16 ESL A Penicuik Athletic L 2-5
23 KC 1 A Chirnside United L 0-1
Feb 6 ESL H Penicuik Athletic W 2-0
13 ESL A Duns W 4-2
20 ESL A Coldstream L 0-3
27 BC F A Selkirk L 0-1
Mar 5 ESL H Selkirk D 2-2
12 ESL A Vale of Leithen L 1-4
19 ESL H Gala Fairydean W 5-2
Apr 2 ESL H Jed Artisans W 3-1
9 ESL A Peebles Rovers L 1-4
16 EC 1 H Penicuik Athletic L 4-5
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Penicuik Athletic 20 10 0 0 54 16 5 2 3 25 16 32
2 Selkirk 20 9 0 1 37 17 5 2 3 22 22 30
3 Berwick Rangers 20 6 2 2 30 27 4 0 6 22 30 22
4 Chirnside United 20 7 2 1 39 17 1 3 6 24 31 21
5 Peebles Rovers 20 7 1 2 24 12 2 1 7 21 26 20
6 Clerwood Amateurs 20 5 1 4 26 18 4 1 5 24 30 20
7 Vale of Leithen 20 5 2 3 23 18 3 2 5 14 26 20
8 Duns 20 4 3 3 19 13 3 1 6 20 24 18
9 Coldstream 20 6 2 2 27 19 0 1 9 11 39 15
10 Jed Artisans 20 5 1 4 14 15 1 2 7 14 28 15
11 Gala Fairydean 20 1 3 6 21 40 0 2 8 15 42 7

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

Abe Anderson 6 1 3 1 1
John Birkett 1
Herbert Blackett 1
John Blythe 1 1
Joseph R Blythe 20 10 5 3 1 1 3 4 1 1
John Borthwick 1
Peter Borthwick 1
John Brewis 1
William Brotherton 2
William Bruce 18 1 5 1 1 1 3 4 1
Harry Campbell 7 3 1 1
Johnny Campbell 14 11 4 9 1 2 1 3 8 4 9
John Coleman 1 2 1 3
Sam Currie 2
Robert (Bob) Dickinson 3 1 1 1
Tom Dryden 1
Frank Ewart 1
Thomas Flannigan 1
Johnson Graham 1
John Gray 4 2 1 4
Alex Hastie 1
George Hope 7
Thomas Jefferson 7 4 1 1 1 1
Joseph Johnston 1
James R Johnstone 20 5 5 2 1 1 3 2 4 1
Robert Kelly 1
Mercer 1
Allan Middlemass 9 1 1 1
J Morrison 1
Henry Patterson 5 2 3 1
William Piercy 14 2 3 1 3 1
Danny Rutherford 6 2 1 1
Jack Shiel 2
Robert Sinton 7 5 2 4 1
Jackie Spence 10 5 1 2 2 1
Jack Tait 3 1
Lance Turnbull 1 4
J Watson 1
Willie Watson 5 8 1
Thomas Weddell 1 1
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 20 3 5 1 1 1 3 1 4 1
Willie Yourston 17 5 1 1 3 4 1
own goal 1 1
Number of players used: 42

In preparation for the new season, former players John Gray and Tom Jefferson, who played centre-half for Duns last season, were re-signed; James Johnstone ex Coldstream and brother of Hearts player Robert Johnstone, was brought in, and Sam Currie, who previously kept goal for Spittal Rovers, was given a trial.


15. The new season kicked off with an East of Scotland League encounter against Selkirk at Ettrick Park on August 15th. Selkirk fielded the same side that won the Border Cup final last season whereas many changes were noticeable in the Berwick team. Play was scrappy and as the game progressed the players were beginning to show signs of fatigue. During the early stages, Selkirk had the better of exchanges but against the run of play, Gray gave Henderson a shot to save, but he only partially cleared and Campbell, rushing in, placed the ball into the net to give Berwick an early lead. Rangers kept the home defence busy for a while, but they could not prevent the Soutars from levelling matter when. they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box; Currie got his hands to the ball and cleared; however, Buckham won possession and passed for Brown to return a powerful shot well out of the keepers reach. There had not been much between the teams in the first half and a goal each was a fair reflection of the game. In the second half, Selkirk took up the attack from the start. Brown had a good try, hitting the crossbar with a well-timed header. However, in a Berwick raid, Jefferson took advantage of a mistake by G. Johnstone and gave Henderson no chance to save. Rangers tried hard to further their lead but were met with a determined resistance. Selkirk were keeping their forwards well supplied with crosses and equalised when Brown's shot hit the inside of the post before crossing the line. Selkirk might have taken the lead immediately when Higgins sent in a nice cross but there were no takers. It was all Selkirk now and another goal looked certain. Buckham sent Nixon down the wing and from the latter's cross Brown scored his third of the afternoon. Selkirk were now clearly on top and pressed for the rest of the game, their lead never in danger.

22. Rangers gave a poor display in their first home game of the season against Clerwood Amateurs. Clerwood, on their last three visits had had to accept defeat and it was anticipated, though there were several youngsters in the team, that two points would be gained. So shocked were quite a number that they left before Blythe scored hat trick to put a better complexion on the score. At one time in the second half the score stood at 7-1 to the visitors. Rangers kicked off uphill and their early play looked promising; Blythe headed just over; Johnstone missed an open goal, and Campbell struck the angle of the crossbar and post with Cranston well beaten. Things looked more upbeat for the Rangers on 15 minutes when Blythe sent Johnstone away and from his centre Johnstone opened the scoring. However, from this point on it was mostly the visitors. Within five minutes McAlpine equalised; Currie had just fisted out when McAlpine gained possession and hit a shot which seemed to curl under the bar. Clerwood then pressed, forcing a series of corners, before they took the lead after a neat move let Smith in to score. From a centre by Stephens, Nesbit missed a difficult chance, but a minute or two later he tricked Spence and scored, with Currie making a poor effort to save. Clerwood fully deserved their interval lead and continued in the same vein on the restart from which they scored four quick goals. Stephens rounded three opponents before running in on goal to score. J Willox scored next from a Nesbit centre and another good run by Stephens produced goal number six. The seventh goal was scored by Nesbit. This appeared to shake the Rangers up somewhat and they replied in a spirit which had been lacking in their play for a long time. Blythe was the main instigator, scoring three goals inside ten minutes; his first was a solo effort; Jefferson paved the way for his second, and clever work by Dickinson and Campbell let him through for the third. Stephens, before the end, scored Clerwood's eighth when he reacted quickest when Spence hit a clearance against Wilson and the centre ran in to place past the helpless Currie.

29. In weather was more suited to cricket than football, Rangers secured their first victory of the season against Peebles Rovers at Shielfield Park. Rangers showed a vast improvement on the previous week, but still they were lucky to have won. The team which met Peebles was much changed from that which was so weak against Clerwood. Yourston came back to defend the goal; Jefferson came out of the forward line to play centre-half and a new player, Coleman, was introduced as inside partner to Campbell. Coleman was working in the town on the railway for a few weeks and had previous experience with Shildon and Annfield Plain. Peebles won the toss and set Rangers to face the strong sun. However, it took only seven minutes for Berwick to take the lead when a smart move turned defence into attack. Campbell played Coleman through and from his cross Johnstone, standing close in, caught the ball as it dropped between the full backs and forced it into the net. Play had been deteriorating on account of the heat and the game was played at walking speed. Rovers equalised midway through the half when Sterricks made his way near to the home goal and his pinpoint pass between found Murray, who had the simple task of tapping the ball into the net. Rangers again attacked and Jefferson ran through, beating two defenders on his way, but the keeper saved the situation with a partial clearance. The ball broke free to Blythe, who landed it on Campbell's head and before Hope had time to recover it was in the net. The move was done so swiftly that Hope was rather taken aback when he returned to his goal to find the ball there before him. Peebles gave Yourston quite a lot of employment in the second half. There were always visions of an equaliser, especially in the closing minutes when Rangers failed to realise that the best form of defence is attack. However, the nearest the visitors came to scoring was when the referee awarded a penalty against Wilson for hand ball. It was a harsh decision, but justice was done. Dodds took the kick but Yourston got his right hand to it and steered it past the post. The game finished with Peebles playing the better football, but the home defence held out.


5. Berwick Rangers swept to a 6-0 victory over Leith Amateurs in the opening round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at Shielfield Park and now looked to be finding their feet. Berwick won the toss and chose to kick upfield with a wind advantage, although Yourston had to face a strong sun. Rangers attacked from the start and McKenzie had some anxious moments. Ritchie was Leith's saviour when he cleared Campbell's goal bound effort on the line. Blythe was unlucky not to score in a one-on-one with McKenzie, but the opening goal was not long in coming. From a free kick on the centreline, Bruce hit a long wind-assisted shot on goal; the keeper fumbled the ball and it passed over his head and into the net. A somewhat lucky goal, but it still counted. A smart move by Leith tested Yourston before Blythe scored Rangers' second with a powerful drive. A clever one-handed save by McKenzie at the expense of a corner kept the two-goal difference between the teams at the interval. The troublesome wind was still present when play began in the second. It was the Amateurs who made the running in the first few minutes with Morrison shooting over and McLeod missing with a well-taken free kick. This marked the end of the Amateurs' pressure and any forays that were made to the Berwick goal came to an end without Yourston being involved. After 15 minutes, Campbell scored with a terrific drive from the edge of the box. A few minutes later, the alert Campbell got another. It was the result of opportunism. Coleman tried a shot which McKenzie handled and Campbell strolled in to relive the keeper of the ball and score. A fifth goal for the Rangers came when a misunderstanding between Ritchie and J. McDonald saw a speculative Campbell shot canon off the former and into the net. From a neat Johnstone cross, Campbell added a sixth, to complete his hat trick, with a close-range shot, while Blythe failed to convert a late penalty. Leith played a little better in the closing minutes, but they were denied a goal when the woodwork prevented their last effort.

12. This season the Scottish Qualifying Cup was split into North and South competitions with Berwick Rangers and the East of Scotland League clubs competing in the North. Coldstream were well trounced when they visited Shielfield Park in the first round, but Rangers were only a touch better despite the 5-2 scoreline. Rangers served up some fast-flowing football in the opening 15 minutes. However, it did not last. If it had, Coldstream would not have been three goals in arrears at the end but three or four times that. Despite the fact they were the better side, Berwick had to change ends a goal down at the interval. The main feature of the game was Campbell's scoring feat: a hat trick last week and five this. Opening play against a strong wind, Rangers swung the ball around attractively, causing the Coldstream defence to become a little unsettled. Campbell was being well policed. Blythe went close and Campbell rattled the crossbar with the keeper beaten. Campbell, however, was successful with his next shot on the 20-minute mark when, from a Wilson free kick, he put a left-footed drive into the far corner of the net. The goal was thoroughly deserved but the reverse acted as a tonic for the visitors. Not long afterwards, Coldstream drew level when Jackson, rising to a Johnston corner, headed the ball out of Yourston's reach. Although nearly all the Coldstream players were on the defensive, Bryson was causing havoc and only Sinton's awareness kept him out. Five minutes from the interval, Yourston pulled off a fine double save against Johnston. However, the keeper had to admit defeat a second time when Jackson again put the ball past him. With the wind now behind them in the second half, Rangers set about equalising and succeeded not long after the restart when Campbell headed past the advancing Clark after Dickinson had played him through. Clark was kept busy for a while and the Coldstream raids were now few and far between. Campbell gave the Rangers a deserved lead when a long punt upfield brought the ball to his feet and without hesitating he swung round and put it out of Clark's reach. After two or three lifeless Coldstream attacks, Campbell converted a Gray cross 15 minutes from the end and almost on time he added a fifth with an unstoppable close-range shot.

19. Rangers continued to improve and their 3-0 win in the second round of the ESFA Qualifying Cup at Shielfield Park against Murrayfield Amateurs was fully deserved. Throughout the opening half, Rangers played with a strong sun shining in their faces after they lost the toss. Although Rangers pressed at the start, it was not long before Yourston was called into action. Ferguson hit the underside of the crossbar; the ball bounced down a few feet from the goal-line and was quickly cleared. After 15 minutes of fast play the only goal of the half was scored when Johnstone seized the ball on the wing and from his cross Campbell headed it on for Coleman to do likewise into the net. From then until half-time the ball was played from each end in return. The visitors were much sharper in attack and only the cool play of Sinton and Yourston kept them out. The second half opened with a spate of fouls and the game was frequently held up. Both sides were guilty, but the visitors excelled. Yourston caught a fast shot from Ferguson and saved well against McDonald. Against the run of play, Rangers doubled their lead on 53 minutes. Johnstone ran at full speed down the wing; McLaren ran out to meet him; Johnstone tricked him and drew out Reid; he tipped the ball over Reid's head and did likewise with the advancing keeper, leaving Campbell with the simple task of tapping the ball into an empty net. Very sportingly, Campbell gave Johnstone the credit when the players went to congratulate him. End-to-end football was the norm for the remainder of the half. The Berwick defence was solid but the same could not be said of Murrayfield's. Hall, McLaren and Reid were none too safe when pressed and towards the end it began to tell. Receiving a cross from the left, Campbell created an opening just outside the box and sent a low shot flashing past Hall to put Rangers three ahead. Murrayfield were awarded a late penalty, but Yourston pulled off a tremendous save and the visitors left empty handed.

26. In the second round of the SFA Qualifying Cup, Rangers were held to a three-all draw at Vale of Leithen. While a draw was a fair reflection on the run of play, it was not until late in the game that Vale asserted themselves and only a last-minute goal saved them from defeat. Keen and equal play marked the opening play. Yourston was called into action with Fraser twice going close. However, the Berwick forwards began to press the home goal. Blythe and Johnstone combined well, and it was only a superb defensive display by Lewis that kept the score sheet clean. Gray was a bit unlucky when one of his shots missed by inches, whilst at the other end Yourston pulled off a brilliant save to deny Wells. The opening goal came when a smart run up the centre by the Berwick forwards split the Vale defence wide open and Blythe scored easily with a close-range shot. Within a minute Rangers were two up when Campbell sent in a low drive. A quick move by the Vale forwards at the start of the second half ended with Patterson scoring from close range with the Berwick defence all at sea. However, Rangers regrouped and pressed the Vale goal. Neat play by Gray and Coleman forced Robson out to clear a long shot, but Johnstone got there first and chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net. This was hard on the home team. After pressing for 20 minutes, Wells was twice on the mark with crosses; Waterson scored from one, but the whistle had gone for offside. Vale kept up the pressure and Rangers packed their defence to keep them out. However, Waterson got through to score with the best goal of the match with a 30-yard thunderbolt. This spurred Vale on and in the final minute Wells levelled matters following a corner.


3. Unruly scenes on the part of both players and spectators marked the replay at Shielfield Park. Towards the interval ill feeling crept into the play, but 15 minutes into the second half it really kicked off. Unsportsmanlike tackling on the part of the Vale players caused two players to face each other off on the touchline, but the other players intervened. As a result of the free kick given, Berwick scored the first goal of the game and this did not help soothe the visitors' feelings. Shortly after, Bruce of Berwick was kicked when lying on the ground and he retaliated. Some spectators tried to take a hand in matters, but the presence of the police quietened them down. However, with 15 minutes of the match remaining, Wilson of Berwick had to retire from the field with a leg injury and while he was off the field Berwick's Jefferson and Vale's Fraser came to blows. Apparently, Jefferson had not been tackled fairly; he struck Fraser in the face and the referee had little alternative but to send him off. While Jefferson was leaving the field, some spectators rushed over the line, but again the police cleared. On the other side of the field, however, several of the visiting spectators went forward to Bruce and were about to remove their coats with the intention of a fight when the police and one or two of the home spectators were successful in restoring order. Berwick lost the toss and kicked off against both wind and sun. Consequently, they were on the defensive for much of the half. Yourston, Wilson and Sinton were undoubtably the best players; they defended well although the Vale forward line were not dangerous. As the half progressed, Rangers began to press but found the defence was also the strongest part of the visiting team. With the wind and sun in their favour, Berwick opened the second half on the attack and although they peppered shots on the Vale goal, they could not score. However, after the disturbance, Bruce took the free kick and Campbell headed into the net. With the strong feeling now in the game both teams lost all sense of position and towards the end of the game neither team played flowing football. However, excitement was rife, and the spectators were kept entertained. Gray was only four yards from the Vale goal when he kicked feebly past the post. A Vale raid then saw Waterson score, but the visitors' excitement quickly turned into despair when the referee blew for a free kick as Waterson had handled. To make matters worse, Rangers returned the ball down the field and a fine move between Johnstone and Campbell ended in a goal. Johnstone worked the ball into the goalmouth and then slipped it wide to Campbell, who sent in a shot which none of the defenders saw. With a two-goal deficit the visitors played with more venom, but Berwick defended well. However, when Wilson was off the field injured and Jefferson dismissed, Turner broke through and scored. In the remaining minutes, Vale tried hard to force another draw but were unsuccessful.

10. Berwick Rangers made their exit from the Scottish Qualifying Cup after a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Murrayfield Amateurs in the third round at Pinkhill. Winning the toss, Murrayfield took advantage of the sun and breeze and pressed heavily from the start. Pearson took the ball on the drop and drove narrowly over the crossbar and Holmes saw his shot stopped on the line with Yourston beaten. Berwick's initial raid was easily disposed of and the Amateurs were soon back on the attack with Yourston having difficulty in getting rid of a low swerving ball from J. Macdonald. Rangers began to take their fair share of attacking, but an obvious reluctance to try for goal made Hall's task comparatively simple. The home side were hitting the ball hard and often. I. Macdonald watch a great drive rebound off the crossbar. Murrayfield took the lead when Holmes latched onto a neat pass from J. McDonald a few yards from goal and gave Yourston no chance. Clever work by Anderson left J. Macdonald in possession and his magnificent 25-yard drive, taken on the turn, put Murrayfield two goals ahead. To make matters worse for Berwick, Pearson made it into three with a header just before half-time. Rangers began the second half with their most sustained attack of the game so far. Their finishing still left a lot to be desired, but a neat touch from Campbell just over the crossbar and a drive from Gray into the side netting gave some promise of better things to come. A clever run by Pearson brought Yourston back into action and after the keeper had partially cleared, he had the crossbar to thank again for stopping a seemingly certain goal from a J. Macdonald header. Another Berwick attack brought about a goal. A melee in from of goal left Campbell with a clear view of Hall and he made no mistake with a low shot just inside the post. However, Murrayfield soon regained their three-goal lead when a long run by J. Macdonald forced Bruce to pass back well out of Yourston's reach. From then on Murrayfield bossed the game and in the final minutes Yourston save well from Anderson, J Macdonald and Holmes as the Amateurs won in convincing style.

17. Despite the 5-1 scoreline, the game against Coldstream in the Border Cup first round was poor to say the least. Coldstream were without their centreman Bryson, who was on trial with Heart of Midlothian A, and his services were missed greatly. The Coldstream front line was disjointed and could do little against the solid Berwick defence. The game opened as it ended, very uninteresting, and apathy amongst the players characterised the whole game. After about ten minutes the spectators were shouting to the players to wake up, but it was without effect. Berwick dominated proceedings, but it was only after an hour's play that Campbell scored the first goal. Gray made ground on the right and centred the ball neatly for Campbell to head past Clark. The Coldstream keeper played a fine game throughout and saved some splendid shots, but the Berwick forwards gave the impression that they were not trying awfully hard. Against the run of play, Coldstream levelled matters on 75 minutes. After a short attack, Sinton conceded a corner, and a perfect flag kick was headed into the net by Jackson. Thereafter, Rangers seldom gave Coldstream another opportunity and a few minutes later Campbell head in a second. Berwick furthered their lead when Blythe worked the ball upfield before slipping it through for Campbell, whose shot Clark fumbled and let into the net. Campbell scored goal number four after Jefferson had beaten Townsley and Mole before providing the centre. Play practically came to a standstill at this point and remained so until the closing minute when Johnstone finished off a fine effort with an equally fine goal. Without doubt, the game was one of the poorest seen at Shielfield Park so far this season, and at the finish fifty percent of the spectators had left.

24. Berwick Rangers were lucky to force a draw with Duns in an East of Scotland League match at Shielfield Park. Duns showed superior football throughout and in the second half, when Blythe missed a penalty kick for Berwick, their chances of winning or drawing looked remote. The appointed referee was half an hour late in arriving and local referee Mr. A. Guyan took charge of the match for the opening quarter. The weather was intensely cold and threatening and there was some doubt about the players turning out. The pitch was soft and consequently good footwork was hampered throughout, although Duns mastered the conditions best. It took fully ten minutes for both teams to settle into their game. During the first half, Duns had the Berwick team at their mercy; however, Spence and Sinton defended well, and it was about 15 minutes into the game when the visitors scored from a penalty kick. Sharp took and scored with a well-placed kick. Yourston was kept busy defending his goal as Duns continued to press. Towards the interval Berwick took more of a hand in the game. Campbell sent in a fast shot for Swan to handle and shortly after Johnstone crossed dangerously but again the keeper was ready to clear. Duns attacked from the start of the second half, but after ten minutes' play Berwick were awarded a penalty when Campbell broke through only to be pulled down. Blythe took the kick but sent the ball yards wide. Very few opportunities came Berwick's way afterwards and midfield play became the norm. However, Rangers got a lucky break when they were awarded a free kick just inside the Duns half. Bruce took the kick and sent the ball into the goalmouth; Swan got his hands to it but he let it slip through and the teams were now level. Rangers livened up but they could not get a shot on goal. Duns took the game forward but were prone to pass the ball when in a favourable position rather than shoot and were made to pay dearly. After frequent attempts, Longbone saw the ball returned to him in front of goal and he put Duns ahead again with a powerful shot. However, straight from the kick-off, Rangers took the ball upfield and Jefferson scored to the surprise of all.

31. There was a large crowd when Berwick Rangers visited East of Scotland League newcomers Chirnside United. Rangers soon got down to business and Campbell saw his fine shot well held by Hush. Play transferred to the other end with the same result, Yourston saving with Spence and Sinton clearing well. The teams were evenly matched for some time and the game swung from end to end. Campbell and Johnstone showed up well for Berwick but could not find the net, Veir and Tillbrook did likewise for Chirnside. Blythe took centre stage towards the interval and sent several good shots just wide. Chance after chance fell to Berwick, but they failed to score until the 40th minute when Wilson hit the back of the net from close quarters. Rangers continued to press at the start of the second half but could not add to their tally. Hope had a shot well saved by Yourston as the home side attacked. Berwick quickly replied with Ferguson grazing the woodwork. Vier and Furlong missed narrowly for Chirnside before Ferguson had another good try saved by Hush. Berwick kept up the attack and McLeod, attempting to clear a shot, hooked the ball over his head and into his own net to give Rangers a two-goal lead. However, Chirnside reduced the deficit two minutes later when Veir scored a beauty from 18 yards. Berwick defended well afterwards, and Chirnside could not find an equalising goal. Rangers, on the run of play, deserved to win by the odd goal, but Chirnside had made good progress since entering the competition.


7. A Johnny Campbell hat trick carried Berwick Rangers through to the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. The game, which was also played for League points, was a typical cup-tie battle. Berwick played the game of their lives and in the second half it was a battle royal. Several of the decisions made by the referee did not meet the approval of the home supporters and at times the locals made threatening steps towards the field. Rain prevailed throughout and it was thought the greasy conditions would hamper play; however, this was not the case and a game worthy of any semi-final was witnessed. Rangers pressed from the start and should have been a goal up when Campbell received a cross just three yards from goal but somehow his shot went well wide. However, Campbell redeemed himself a few minutes later when he scored a brilliant goal; a clearance upfield by Bruce landed at his feet and he shot struck the upright with terrific force before rebounding into the net, with the keeper gasping. Campbell went close again before the visitors equalised. After a spell of pressure, a corner was forced and, after a brilliant cross by Brunton, Watson headed past Yourston. Continuing to attack, Vale took the lead when a neat cross by Todd was hooked into the net by Wells. The lead was not held for long, however, as two minutes later Turner miskicked; Johnstone pounced on the ball and crossed for Campbell to head home. Rangers had the better of the game after this and, with the very last kick of the half, Campbell secured his hat trick with a 40-yarder which Robson seemed to half-heartedly save and was surprised to see the ball continue into the net. The second half was a half to remember. Rangers were playing soundly for a fourth goal which would make them secure, whilst Vale were out for an equaliser which might lead to their reaching the final. From the kick-off, Rangers played down the field and Campbell netted only to be pulled up offside. The home supporters were disgusted. It was only one of many which the home support did not agree with; threating moves were made by the crowd, but the referee kept a good hold of the game. Campbell was well on his way once more, but Robson rushed out from his goal and was just in time to save at Campbell's feet. Campbell was always to the fore and another goal for Berwick seemed imminent when Campbell received from Johnstone; he beat both defenders and only had Robson to beat when he lost his footing at the last moment and the chance was gone. Vale upped their game at this point and Yourston was under pressure with shots from all angles. Spence and Sinton were outstanding in defence and limited the visitors to several fruitless corners. It was end-to-end football in the closing stages as both teams played attacking football and although the visitors were the speedier team Rangers fully deserved their victory.

14. Chirnside United collapsed in the final stages of the Border Cup first round tie at Shielfield Park. It was a spasmodic game to say the least. The first half was an even game and when the second half commenced it looked as if Rangers would have to fight hard for victory as Chirnside had them hemmed in for the first 15 minutes; however, the pace was too fast and once Berwick had scored their second goal the visitors were never really in the picture. Chirnside should never have been beaten by six clear goals, but something went wrong in their defence and they crumbled. In the first minute, Rangers were almost through to score, but Hush ran out and beat Campbell to the ball. Blythe went near with a header and Hush saved a fast Johnstone drive as Berwick held Chirnside under pressure. Chirnside came more into the game and Parker tested Yourston, but the keeper was alert and cleared. However, Rangers continued to have the better of matters and from the way they were playing it looked only a question of time until they scored. When the goal finally came it was a gift; J. Graham miskicked a clearance in front of goal and Campbell ran in to score from 6 yards with only Hush to beat. The goal obviously rattled Chirnside and for a spell before the interval they gave the Berwick defence a hard time. Chirnside started the second half in whirlwind fashion and for the first ten minutes Rangers were nowhere in sight. Veir, Ferguson and Parker had shots on goal that should have produced a goal. However, Patterson broke away down the Rangers' right and sent a nice forward pass to Campbell, who took the ball in his stride and gave Hush no chance with his shot. Had Chirnside scored before this there might have been a different tale to tell, but this second set back hit them hard and they began to fall away. The visitors fought back for a while, but when Hush gave Berwick another goal they became completely demoralised. Hush had only himself to blame, as he had plenty of time to clear a shot from Patterson; he dropped the ball and picked it up and the dropped it again at which point Johnstone nipped in from the left to shoot it into the net. Rangers then pressed continuously. Blythe brought Hush to his knees with a thunderous shot and Campbell was brought down in the area when through on goal but appeals for a penalty were waved aside. However, Campbell was by no means quelled and it was not long before he broke through again and this time, he made no mistake, scoring a fourth goal from close in. A minute or two later, Johnstone got away down the left and his inch-perfect cross reached Wilson, who score with a fine shot. This did not end the scoring for Patterson sent in a shot which Hush failed to clear and Campbell ran in to make it six without return.

21. The slowness of Rangers to settle into their game proved costly when Jed Artisans scored three goals in the first 15 minutes. Berwick opened brightly but the visitors gave the home defence a lesson in scoring. On ten minutes, a smart move saw Surgeoner score the opening goal when a faulty clearance by Sinton landed at his feet and he had little difficulty in beating Yourston. Another quick raid by the Jed forwards resulted in Scally tapping the ball over Wilson's head and running in to score. Two quick goals against did not in any way make an impression on the Berwick players who continued to mess about with the ball instead of clearing quickly. A lack of judgement on the part of Piercy saw McGinn intercept his pass. The ball was played quickly from one side of the field to the other and, with the home defence all at sea, Robertson went through to score the third for Jed Arts. Finally, Rangers kicked into gear and a big improvement was shown. Some neat play between Sinton, Bruce and Kelly gave possession to Blythe, who drew the defence before sending the ball to Johnstone, who ran up the wing and crossed for Campbell to net. Another dangerous raid by Jed Arts was stopped by the timely intervention of Sinton, who tackled Scally well and cleared. A few minutes later, Johnstone gained possession and after drawing the defence he dropped a fine ball into the goalmouth for Campbell to head home. Berwick continued to play the better football and consequently Blythe secured the equaliser when he placed a Patterson cross into the net. Rangers took the lead just before the interval when a misunderstanding between a defender and Halliday resulted in Blythe taking possession and he dribbled the ball into the net. After the interval, Rangers were again slow to settle and it cost a goal. Immediately from the centre kick, the visitors ran upfield and Scally netted the equaliser. For the greater part of the half Berwick were more dangerous and they kept the visitors penned in their own half. However, despite this territorial advantage it was not until the last few minutes that they secured the winning goal. Kelly took a free kick a few yards outside the Jed penalty area. For some infringement the kick was retaken, and Kelly's kick reached Campbell who spun on the spot to give Berwick both points with the winning goal.

28. In the ESFA Qualifying Cup final, Berwick Rangers forced a draw against last runners-up, Penicuik Athletic, in game which started with a controversial goal. Berwick had won a toss for ground advantage and the final was played at Shielfield Park. There was one of the biggest crowds seen at Berwick for many a year and they were entertained with a fast and exciting match. Berwick were forced to defend at the start but soon settled down and repelled the visiting forwards. Ramage was been closely watched with Spence and Sinton following his every move. After five minutes' play, a quick break by Berwick saw Johnstone run down the wing and hit a low shot towards; it seemed to cross the goalmouth altogether, but those near to hand declared it was a goal. At first the referee pointed for a goal kick, but after examining the net the referee agreed. Ramage shook off his markers and raced upfield, but his run was abruptly stopped by Spence. From the resultant free kick just outside the box, Ramage cut in and headed the ball just over the crossbar. It was a narrow escape for the home goal. Both sides had scoring chances before Rangers scored their second when Blythe latched onto the end of a Wilson free kick. However, from the centre kick, Ramage broke through and was accidentally brought down by Sinton when making for goal. A free kick was taken from the edge of the box and Ramage netted with a superb shot. In a short attack by Berwick, Johnstone tested Bell. Another sharp shot was sent in by Campbell, but the keeper handled well and cleared his lines. Penicuik then equalised with rather a soft goal when, following a corner, Henderson put the ball clean through Yourston's legs. Worse was to come for Berwick when Spence, defending an attack, fell on the ball and for no apparent reason he fisted it out, giving away a penalty. Henderson was entrusted with the kick and scored into the top corner of the net. This proved rather a setback for the Rangers, but they fought on. Wilson sent Johnstone away and he sent in a cross which Campbell shot goalward; the ball hit the foot of the post before bouncing along the goal-line and he followed up to make sure of a goal. Shortly after, Campbell received an ankle injury and had to leave the field. Without their leader, Rangers looked lost and Ramage took full advantage of the situation when he broke upfield and had only Yourston to beat. Yourston did the only thing possible by running out to meet him; he kicked the ball, but it struck Ramage and rebounded into the net. Rangers opened the second half with only ten men as Campbell was unable to continue. Blythe took up the centre position and scored within three minutes. Patterson sent in a hard-shot which Bell held; Blythe then rushed in and breasted the ball from his grasp to level the score. Although playing with ten men, Berwick continued to press. However, some hard tackling by Sked and Currie had its effect and Ramage was once more played through to give Penicuik the lead. At this point the referee began to lose control of the game as both spectators and players openly showed disapproval of many of his decisions. Yourston made two fine saves before Rangers were given a boost when Campbell returned to the field. He took up Johnstone's position on the extreme left, with Johnstone moving to inside-left, but he was no more than a passenger as he could not kick a ball. However, he sportingly carried on and encouraged the other players. Rangers repeatedly attacked but could not score. With only ten minutes remaining they were only one goal in arrears. Patterson sent in another hard-shot which Bell fell onto; Blythe and Johnstone tackled the keeper, bundling both keeper and ball over the line. The players and supporters claimed a goal and the linesman agreed. However, the referee did not. Immediately the supporters ran onto the field and a lively argument ensued in the goalmouth. Order was restored by the police and a linesman. Several of the Berwick players favoured leaving the field, but better prevailed and the game continued. Rangers attacked again. Nine of the Penicuik players packed the goal in defence and a penalty was awarded for hand ball. Piercy took the kick and levelled the score at five goals apiece. For the remaining few minutes both teams went tooth and nail for the winner, but darkness spoiled matters and when the final whistle blew it was impossible to see the ball when at the opposite side of the field.


5. Rangers were without luck when they travelled to Penicuik for the final replay. They put up a stubborn fight as expected, but with the absence of Johnny Campbell they lacked shooting power. John Gray appeared in Campbell's place, but with all respect to Gray, who is a forceful player, his position was not at centre-forward. The ground was partially underwater and playing conditions were slippery to say the least. Ball control was not an easy matter but Penicuik, being the heavier team, adapted to the conditions better. The Berwick defence gave a fine display in the opening minutes with Sinton and Spence kicking and tackling well and the half backs got through a great amount of work. Yourston had a good opening spell and managed to keep his goal intact when under heavy pressure. After weathering the early storm, Rangers attacked with determination and they looked like breaking through when Anderson and Patterson combined well but Sked intervened and cleared the danger. However, a few minutes later, Berwick opened the scoring when Piercy played a superb forward pass from which Johnstone latched onto and scored with a close-range shot. Penicuik took up the fight and Ramage, who was always a danger, forced a corner from which Henderson levelled matters. Rangers, showing some fine passing moves, attacked again but Bell cleared to allow Penicuik to launch another attack. Two more corners were forced but Rangers cleared on both occasions and at half-time the teams remained on level terms. However, shortly after the interval, Green broke down the right and put Penicuik into the lead with a well-taken shot. Rangers were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, but Piercy sent the ball just over. A few minutes later, after Henderson and Ramage had been prevented from scoring, Anderson was given a great opportunity but unfortunately missed. Rangers tried hard to equalise with Blythe and Johnstone putting in some hard work, but their efforts amounted to nothing and five minutes from time Ramage beat Yourston to put the issue beyond doubt.

12. Berwick Rangers again suffered a heavy League defeat by Clerwood Amateurs. However, Clerwood's final margin of three clear goals flattered them to some extent. Except for short spells at the start of each half when goals came rather easily, Clerwood were never dominant; in fact, Berwick got thorough a lot of hard work for their two goals. Clerwood made an impressive start and were two goals up after just eight minutes' play. Nesbit made the running for Rutherford to score just after the start, while a powerful drive by McAlpine brought the second. On both occasions Yourston was helpless to save but he saved well a few minutes later to get rid of another strong effort from McAlpine. Rangers got over their poor start and Blythe troubled Cranston with a long-range shot before Anderson tried his luck with the keeper well out of position. The game had now opened considerably with both ends being visited in turn. If anything, Clerwood had the better of chances, but their finishing lacked direction with Nesbit making a bad job of it on several occasions. Clerwood were quick into their stride at the start of the second half and Cruickshank hit home an accurate cross from Nesbit to increase their lead. A minute later, Smith made the Clerwood total four with a spectacular 18-yard drive. As the game progressed, Rangers found it difficult to make headway and Yourston was forced to concede another goal when Cruikshank left McAlpine with an easy task. Towards the close, Rangers made a determined effort to improve their position and, after Cranston had been put under considerable pressure, Piercy reduced the leeway with a good goal five minutes from time.

19. Chirnside United somewhat atoned for two previous defeats at the hands of Berwick Rangers this season with a deserved win at Shielfield Park. However, it was a disappointing game between two poor teams, with the Rangers the poorer of the two. Chirnside opened strongly and for the first 20 minutes it looked as though they were going to overrun the Rangers' defence. Weddell and Ferguson were always a source of danger when they had the ball and Yourston made several saves to deny the latter and Johnston. However, the opening goal came as a surprise to all. From a hefty clearance by Sinton, Blythe took possession; he moved forward a few yards and hit home a shot from 30 yards. It was well against the run of play, but nevertheless it was a fine effort. Rangers seemed to take a new lease of life and Kerr was now the keeper under pressure, but then a misunderstanding in defence between Sinton and Yourston let Furlong in to equalise. On 35 minutes, Rangers attacked strongly and were awarded a penalty for hands. Piercy took the kick and put Berwick back in the lead with a low shot. Chirnside were back on level terms just before the interval when Weddell dribbled the ball up the wing and crossed for Furlong to slam the ball past Yourston. In the final attack of the half, Weddell hit the crossbar with a ferocious shot. Rangers kept Chirnside penned to their own half during the opening minutes of the second half with Piercy and Blythe prominent. However, it was not long before Chirnside took the lead when Vier outwitted Spence and beat Yourston in a race for the ball. Chirnside went all out to increase their lead, forcing a series of corners, which were eventually cleared, and Yourston foiled Furlong when he raced out to clear at the centre's feet. In another Berwick raid, Johnstone got away on the Rangers' left, but was fouled by an unfair charge just inside the box. Piercy, having scored with the first, naturally took the resultant spot kick, but this time he failed miserably. Berwick fell to pieces in the latter part of the second half and Chirnside saw little opposition. The issue of points was put beyond doubt when Johnston got through to beat Yourston and score what proved to be the last goal of the match.

25. As a local Christmas Day attraction, Berwick Rangers met Spittal Rovers at Shielfield Park. The Rangers team was considerably weakened and for the main part of the game they played with only ten men. Dryden, a Bamburgh player, who had obligingly filled the breach for them, was injured not long after taking the field. The game proved to be a very disappointing one from a spectators' point of view, especially when the Berwick team showed considerable changes. Such was the weakness of the Rangers, it was thought Spittal would pull off a win, but Wilson and Co kept the Rovers defence busy and the Spittal forwards were allowed little scope at the hands of Sinton and Spence. Blythe was prominent in the early stages and tested Currie, who dealt well with some difficult shots. Piercy had the best chance of the match when he sent in a terrific shot which deserved better. It was from about 20 yards out and struck the upright before rebounding back into play and ultimately cleared by the Brothers Moffat. Little could be said, other than a goalless draw was a fair reflection of the game, for many inexcusable chances were missed by both teams and it was on those case where neither team deserved to win.


9. Berwick Rangers took the points in the local Derby against Coldstream at Shielfield Park. The game did not attract many supporters due to the bitterly cold weather. Johnny Campbell made his reappearance after injury but was still not fully fit. Coldstream fielded a weakened team with both Tocher and Mole missing and replaced by Court and W. Townsley. For the first ten to fifteen minutes Berwick did the bulk of attacking, but surprisingly Coldstream scored first after just five minutes' play when Kerse scored a simple goal; Jackson was allowed too much space and sent in a cross which caught the inrushing Kerse in the stomach and he bundled the into the net despite being winded. Clark, the Coldstream keeper, was due credit for keeping his side in the game for the next ten minutes. He dealt with all manner of shots, the best being from a close-range header by Anderson. Campbell got his first opportunity of shooting for goal, but Clark got in the way of his two left-footed drives. A minute later, Blythe struck the crossbar with a powerful shot. Rangers equalised when Johnstone's cross into the goalmouth was apparently handled and the referee pointed to the spot. Wilson was trusted with the kick and sent the ball well out of Clark's reach. The remaining minutes of the half were in Berwick's favour and Clark put in some good work to keep out several shots from Campbell, but Coldstream could count themselves lucky to be on level terms at the interval. Rangers pressed hard on the restart and the clear-at-all-costs method was employed by the Coldstream defence. The constant pressure paid dividends when Campbell manoeuvred Anderson into position and he put Berwick into the lead with a well-taken shot. Blythe saw a shot go agonisingly over before Coldstream sprung another surprise. Bryson managed to kick a long clearance to Kerse; he slipped between the backs, who were too far down the field, and before Yourston could rush out Kerse blasted the ball into the net. Coldstream pressed after this, but Rangers gradually assumed the upper hand. Nearing the end of the match, Rangers forced a corner which Rutherford placed nicely; Marshall headed out, but only to Wilson, who was standing on the edge of the box; he first timed it over everyone, and Clarke was unable to reach what turned out to be the winning goal.

16. Berwick Rangers made the journey to Penicuik Athletic for a League match with a greatly weakened team and only ten men. Sinton was off with an injured foot; Bruce was down with the flu; Anderson was off; and J. Campbell did not feel well enough to travel. T. Jefferson, ex-Rangers player, took up Sinton's position at left-back; W Brotherton, ex-Berwick Bohemians, was right-half; T Flannigan, ex-Scremerston, was left-half; H Campbell, Berwick Hibs and brother of J Campbell, was centre; while the Rangers had to call on a Penicuik man in Mercer to complete the team. With so many changes it was no surprise that the Rangers went down 5-2. Berwick won the toss and set Penicuik to face a strong wind. Within two minutes Grant opened the scoring for Penicuik and in the next minute Rutherford equalised. Overhead conditions made flowing football impossible and both teams struggled to find their rhythm. Penicuik took up the offensive and Ramage was prominent with good shots which were equally well saved by Yourston. Play was fast, but the wind was harassing the players. Robertson struck the crossbar with a fierce drive as against the wind Penicuik still had a big say in the game. However, against the run of play, Campbell broke away to give Berwick the lead. Penicuik tried hard to equalise but spoiled their chances with too much dallying in front of goal. The home side were awarded a penalty against Brotherton, but Henderson missed with the kick. For the final ten minutes of the half the Berwick goal seemed to have a charmed existence with Yourston pulling off several tremendous saves. It was a very one-sided game in the second half. With the advantage of the wind, Penicuik soon levelled matters through Ramage, and the same player gave them the lead two minutes later. With play now confined to the Berwick half, Yourston was constantly in action. Ramage furthered the home side's lead when he beat Yourston for a third time. Towards the end, Robertson, on two occasions, sent narrowly past, before Henderson completed the scoring with a fifth goal from fully 20 yards.

23. Berwick Rangers lost their King Cup encounter at Chirnside United by the only goal scored in the match. Both teams turned out one player short. Jefferson took the place of Piercy in the Rangers half-line and Hope took the place of Learmonth in the home defence. The softness of the ground caused the early chances to go astray through the players slipping. The home side played downhill and had the hard task of keeping the Rangers out. With 20 minutes gone, Yourston had not been seriously troubled, except for the occasional raid. At this point, Rangers missed the chance of the match. Campbell gained possession 30 yards out and finding his way blocked he played the ball out to Rutherford on the wing; Rutherford ran on a few yards and sent a cross-shot goalward; Kerr seemed to have it covered but it swerved at the last minute; the keeper was only able to get his fingertips to it, as he overbalanced in his attempt, and it looked a certain goal as Rutherford pounced on the now loose ball; however, he hurried his shot and the ball went over the bar. This served to waken Chirnside up and Rangers had a job on their hands to hold them back. First Veir and then Johnston made Yourston look lively. Yourston's goal finally fell when Veir beat Jefferson on the wing and drew Spence out from defence. Veir then gave the ball to Ferguson, who crossed for Furlong to shoot the ball goalward. Yourston could not get a proper clearance and, in the scramble that followed, Johnston hooked the ball into the corner of the net. Chirnside were now well on top and were until the interval. The second half began with the Rangers looking the likeliest scorers. However, the Chirnside defence gave nothing away and gradually Berwick fell back. Yourston was called into action when Chirnside gained three corners in quick succession, but the keeper saved well on each occasion. Spence had to retire with a twisted knee and Johnstone moved back to cover. With a man short, it looked as if Berwick's chances of equalising had gone. Furlong struck the post with a low shot with Yourston helpless as Rangers mainly defended until the last five minutes when they looked like saving the match, but the home defence never wavered and held on to win.


6. Berwick Rangers played more convincingly in the East of Scotland League match with Penicuik Athletic, but were lucky to win all the same. In the second half, the visitors had much more of the game and Ramage should have scored on more than one occasion. Rangers were a delight to watch in the first half. Johnstone saw an early shot well saved by Robb and from the resultant corner Blythe headed narrowly past. Rangers were having the better of matters and Johnstone twice in succession saw Robb saved his shots. Penicuik then attacked but Yourston cleared the danger. Rangers returned to the visitors' end and after Robb had fisted clear, Campbell netted only for the goal to be disallowed due to Jefferson being offside. Penicuik replied when Sked sent in a good cross to Ramage, who hit a powerful drive goalward which had Yourston full stretch to save. Wilson cleared his lines a minute later and Johnstone had another cross-shot which Robb saved. It was obvious that the danger of the Rangers attack lay in the left wing and this was more than ever apparent when Johnstone sent in a cross from the extreme left. Campbell could have jumped and headed it, but he left it for Jefferson to head past Robb and put Rangers into the lead. Penicuik came more into the game and Sked headed just past. For the final five minutes of the half, Rangers were penned back into their own half, but they defended well and reached the interval with their goal intact. Penicuik opened the second half on the attack and a corner was given against Wilson. From the clearance, Johnstone broke away but was stopped by Tulloch. The visitors replied and Ramage missed a scoring chance when Yourston ran from his goal to save. Two minutes later, Berwick were awarded a penalty when Jefferson's shot was handled on the line. Wilson took the kick but shot straight into the keeper's hands. The ensuing play was largely confined to the Berwick half where, had it not been for the exploits of Yourston, the Rangers would certainly have been in arrears. However, with ten minutes remaining, and well against the run of play, Berwick doubled their lead. An infringement by Newbigging gave Rangers a free kick out on the wing. Hope sent a long shot into the centre where Campbell received it and beat Robb with one of his noted left-footed drives.

13. Rangers took full points from their East of Scotland League match against Duns at Hawthorn Park. Duns pressed hard at the start and Yourston was called in action to save a smart header from Cowe. Duns kept up the pressure and took the lead from the first corner of the match when Whitelaw placed well for Greaves to head home. Gradually, Rangers found their feet and pressed but Swan cleared. Blythe kept pegging away and made several openings which were not taken advantage of. However, Rangers levelled matters when Campbell, accepting a cross from Rutherford, slipped through the Duns defence to score a simple goal. Worse was to follow for the home team. Without having time to regain their breath, Duns found themselves a goal down when Rutherford found the net. Rangers had the pull after this up to the interval but failed to add to their score. Berwick went all-out at the beginning of the second half, but the Duns defence stood firm. Ultimately, Campbell got through and put the Rangers further ahead with a well-taken shot. Duns replied when Whitelaw placed another neat corner into the Berwick goalmouth and this time Murray was on hand to score. It looked for a while that Duns had woken to the cause, but they failed to deceive and soon dropped back to a solely defensive mode. Another soft goal fell to the Rangers when Johnstone played a high drooping shot into the Duns goal and, much to the amazement of all, Swan allowed the ball to fall through his upstretched arms and into the net. To the end Berwick had the better of matters and but for poor finishing they should have scored more goals in a game they fully deserved to win.

20. Coldstream scored three goals without reply in the League meeting against Berwick Rangers at Home Park. Coldstream were worthy winners and if the truth be known Rangers were lucky to escape with only three against. Despite the first half been goalless, Coldstream had several chances to take the lead. Coldstream attacked from the start. Smart dashed through to send a fast ground shot which was luckily intercepted by Middlemass. Tocher was next to have a shot and his effort was just over. On ten minutes, Marshall gained possession 30 yards out and sent a shot towards the Berwick goal. Yourston must have been dazzled by the sun or misjudged the flight of the ball as he made little or no attempt to save. Luckily, the ball went past with only a foot to spare. Campbell latched onto a stray ball and ran through to send a fast shot which Clark saved at the expense of a corner. Coldstream were soon back on the attack and Troup was near the mark with a long-range shot. Bruce and Middlemass had their hands full in defence and Yourston was lucky to tip a fast header from Romanes over the bar. Coldstream certainly had by far the best of exchanges and should have crossed over with a lead. The second half opened on similar lines. Smart tricked Bruce and Middlemass before sending in a shot which Yourston saved splendidly. Kerse and Murray were next to have tries and the latter was inches off the mark. It fell to Smart to open the scoring. Following a superb solo effort, he sent in a shot from near the corner flag; Yourston failed to hold the ball properly and the ball crossed the line before Kerse and Murray followed up to make doubly sure. Spurred on by this advance, Coldstream piled on the pressure. However, a brief period of Berwick pressure saw Tait force Clark to save a near certain goal and a minute or two later the keeper was again to save in similar circumstances from Campbell. Coldstream again attacked and won a free kick after Smart had been brought down rather heavily by Bruce. From the kick, Coldstream secured their second goal when Kerse sent in a shot which Yourston had no chance of saving. Rangers retaliated with a short spell of pressure, but their efforts were of little avail. Campbell went close in with a shot, but Swan easily cleared. Campbell was nearer the mark with his next shot only to find Clark again on the alert. Coldstream upped their game and following a good move Kerse went through to score only to be ruled offside. The remaining minutes of the game were more in Coldstream's than the Rangers' favour and it was in keeping with the run of play that Murray scored a third goal for Coldstream with the last kick of the match.

27. Berwick Rangers travelled to Raid Stane Park, Galashiels to meet Selkirk in the Border Cup final and were beaten by the only goal of the match. It was a keen contest from start to finish with both defences on top. It was shortly before the interval that Nixon gave Selkirk the goal that settled the contest. Selkirk did most of the attacking in the opening half, but Wilson and Middlemass kept a watchful eye on the forwards and conceded few openings, while Yourston was safe in goal. Gordon was presented with a splendid chance to open the scoring but Yourston got down well to save. Berwick rallied strongly and put the Selkirk goal under pressure. Gordon had another chance as Selkirk returned to the attack, but they met with a resolute defence. A free kick just outside the 18-yard box endangered the Berwick goal, but the attack was stopped. Selkirk were dangerous with their long kicking, but Berwick showed up well in the short passing game and played some neat football. Johnny Campbell was unlucky when he broke through only to see Morgan bring off a brilliant save. Play again swung back to the Berwick goal. Gordon was too slow in taking a shot and Yourston saved. Sheridan and Nixon both went close as the pressure mounted and just before the interval Nixon beat Yourston to the ball and scored. Selkirk started the second half with a spirited attack but made no impression on the Berwick goal. A long shot by Piercy just failed to produce an equaliser. Selkirk rallied for another attack, but Yourston saved in brilliant fashion. Harry Campbell transferred hostilities to the Selkirk end where the defence was severely tested. In the end, Rangers had played the better class of football, with Johnny Campbell the outstanding player, whereas Selkirk displayed more robust methods and got the result.


5. Rangers played Selkirk for the second week running this time in the League. The game did not match the previous week for entertainment value and was poor throughout. Rangers gave a good display in the first half when they were playing against a strong wind and the incline, but in the second half they played badly. The wind died down before the interval, but had Rangers kept up their first half performance in the second they would have won with ease. Yourston was not to blame for the two goals which beat him. One was from a penalty and the other was close in, following a poor defensive clearance. Selkirk took advantage of the strong wind and put Yourston under early pressure with some long drives. Johnstone was unlucky not to give Rangers the lead when he headed just past the post from a good position. During another attack, Berwick should have had a penalty kick when G. Johnston handled inside the area, but the referee did not see the incident. Selkirk pressed for a long time, but Yourston saved well when required and the defence put up a sterling display. It looked as if Selkirk would never get passed them. However, on the half-hour mark, Wilson brought down Robertson inside the penalty area and Brown scored from the spot. Selkirk continued to press but, shortly before the interval, Rangers forced a corner from which Johnstone placed well for Bruce to level the score with a fine effort. Rain fell heavily after this and when the second half started, the wind had died down. Selkirk took up the running, but Berwick took the lead when Rutherford broke down the right and crossed to Johnstone, who took it in his stride and scored with a fine shot. J. Campbell had the perfect opportunity to put Rangers further ahead but missed badly from close range. Selkirk returned to the attack and Gordon scored an easy goal when he collected a poor clearance and ran through to level matters with a six-yard drive. It was the last of any real action and the game was played out to a draw.

12. Berwick Rangers made the journey to Innerleithen with only ten men. Watson, an ex-Vale of Leithen player filled the vacant position. Vale won the toss and set Berwick to face the strong sun and breeze. In the opening minutes, Berwick made the running, but Simpson was in top form and cleared when required. Vale then took a hold of the game and it needed Yourston at his best to keep out shots by Watson and Blair. Vale had Rangers pinned in their own half, but gradually Berwick fought their way out. However, a fine clearance by Watson let Fraser away and he ran through the defence to give Yourston little chance with a low shot into the back of the net. Early in the second half, Waterson burst through in similar fashion, but his shot just grazed the post. Berwick took up the attack through Blythe and Watson crossed; Robson partially saved from the foot of Rutherford and Johnstone got the rebound to put Rangers on level terms. However, a few minutes later, forceful play by Brunton gave Stewart the space to send in a cross from which Waterson headed Vale back in the lead. Watson then became provider and from his pass Waterson beat Yourston for a second time. Vale were now in rampant form. Waterson and Fraser ran clean through the Berwick defence and the latter increased the lead. A late Rangers flurry saw Piercy miss a late penalty kick, but Vale deserved their win as they were quicker on the ball and took the chances which came their way.

19. The match at Shielfield Park against Gala Fairydean on March 19th counted as both home and away with double points and goals awarded. Rangers won easily but had to fight hard in the first half. In the second half, however, Berwick controlled the game, and the visitors were seldom dangerous. Gala arrived four men short in Sterricks, Palmer, Thin and Stevens, all regular players, and their places were taken by committee members who travelled with the rest of the team. Rangers were without Rutherford on the right wing, his place being taken by J. Campbell, who left the centre position to Watson. It was a good switch as it was only Watson's second game for the Rangers, and he scored three of the goals. Rangers were first into action, but Gala showed they were not going to be beaten without a fight and for a time they had by far the better of the game. A. Robertson broke through and Wilson got back just in the nick of time and took the ball off his toes. However, Gala were not long in taking the lead. After Tillbrook had struck the upright with a fierce drive, A. Robertson ran in to score from close range. Rangers upped their game and Blythe scored a fine goal to level matters when J. Campbell showed his pace down the right and sent in a perfect centre which Blythe hooked into the goal; Wright got his hands to it but failed to hold the ball. The teams were not level for long, for within two minutes Gala had retaken the lead. From a Hearn run and cross from the left, Tilbrook caught the ball almost at the foot of the post and gave Yourston no chance to save. Gala continued to press, but eventually Rangers took up the running. Watson was close with a fine shot which Wright fisted out. Watson caught the ball again and lobbed it into the net to level the score once more. Rangers now seemed to have the measure of their opponents and it was no surprise when they took the lead shortly before the interval. Blythe broke away down the left and from his cross Watson gave Berwick the lead with a nicely taken goal. Gala were seldom dangerous in the second half and, when they did attack, they found a strong defence in Wilson and Middlemass. When H. Campbell broke through it looked odds-on that he would score; he sent in a superb shot which Wright stopped but, before the keeper could clear, Watson ran through and put the ball into the net. Berwick should have gone further ahead but both Blythe and J. Campbell saw their efforts skim the crossbar. It fell to H. Campbell to put the Rangers further ahead with a long-range drive. It proved to be the last of the scoring, for although Berwick had many more opportunities, they failed to take advantage of them. The four points saw Berwick move three places up the league table. A victory for Gala would have made difference as they were bottom of the table and eight points adrift.


2. Berwick Rangers beat Jed Arts 3-1 in a one-sided game, at Shielfield Park. The East of Scotland League fixture should have been played at Jedburgh but owing to the Artisans being suspended from playing at their home ground the game was played at Tweedmouth. Rangers showed several changes to their team. At the last minute, Hope of Scremerston did not turn up and Tom Jefferson was asked from among the crowd to play. In addition to Hope, Rutherford, Johnny Campbell and Piercy had called off. Joe Blythe occupied the centre half position with John Blythe, Jack Tait, both Spittal Rovers, and H. Campbell in the forward line. After the first five minutes it was obvious that Berwick were far superior to the Artisans and as far as Rangers were concerned it developed into a game amongst themselves and often enough the ball was standing still. Rangers opened the scoring on ten minutes when Joe Blythe got the ball and punted it forward to Watson, who side-stepped a defender before scoring. Jed Arts were seldom in the picture and on 25 minutes John Blythe added a second goal with a ricochet shot following a corner. A minute later, Rangers were gifted a goal when Johnstone sent in a cross from the extreme left. Duffy jumped to save, but the ball ended up in the net. The second half was less interesting than the first. However, Rangers, after continued pressure, became overconfident and the visitors sprung a surprise when Tobbin broke through and scored. Thereafter, the Berwick defence took no more chances, and it was seldom that the Arts were allowed within shooting range. Several more goals might have been scored by the Rangers' forwards, but they played in a lackadaisical manner and did not seem to care whether they played football or not.

9. Rangers were well beaten at Peebles Rovers in their final game of the East of Scotland League campaign. Facing a sharp shower of driving rain, Peebles made ground at the start and White was unlucky with a shot which flashed past the post. Berwick made a spirited reply but missed two good chances in front of goal. Bell made progress for Peebles on the left and it took the best effort of Birkett to counter a hard-rising shot. The soft and slippery ground made conditions awkward and mistakes were frequent on both sides. On one occasion, a miskick by Gill put the Peebles goal in danger, but Scott was able to cover up and clear. The home side were having more of the ball and following a smart move they took a deserved lead when White made the opening for Dodds to score. Rangers replied and Scott had to leave his goal to stop a long shot from Hastie. Although Peebles had territorial advantage, Berwick were often dangerous and after Watson had fared best in a tussle with Eadie he ran on to level with low shot. However, Peebles regained the lead from the kick-off when they swept downfield and a clever shot by Dodds beat Birkett all ends up. Just before half time, Watson struck the woodwork as Rangers rallied and Scott was forced to concede a corner from a Campbell shot. Berwick started the second half strongly and Scott had to clear a dangerous shot from Johnstone with Watson in close attendance. However, Peebles soon regained their advantage and following a clever move, Hamilton sent over a fine cross for Dodds to register his hat trick goal. Dodds was a source of constant worry to the Berwick defence, as was White. Birkett pushed a White volley over the bar for a corner and a few minutes later White had the ball in the net only to be ruled offside. At the other end, Johnstone raised Berwick's hopes with a hard shot which Scott partially cleared and Blythe's volley from the rebound clipped the crossbar. Rangers had their brightest spell at this late stage and Brotherton tested Scott with shot from the right. However, Peebles still held the balance of play. J. Kilner and White missed favourable chances before F. Kilner put matters beyond doubt with a fourth for Peebles.

16. Penicuik Athletic won by the odd goal in nine in the opening round of the East of Scotland Cup at Shielfield Park. The visitors arrived a man short, but Brotherton, of Berwick Albion, turned out on the right wing and played well with assists for two goals. Penicuik deserved their win as they played the better football throughout. The Rangers team shuffled about during the game and never really settled. Weddell and Johnston of Scremerston, who had been playing regularly for Chirnside United, were given a trial. Rangers kicked off downhill with the wind and sun at their backs. However, despite having favourable conditions to their advantage, they were soon on the backfoot and a goal behind when a cross from the right was headed over Yourston by Ramage. Late in the half, Penicuik scored a second when Ramage headed Brotherton's corner into the six-yard box where Robertson tapped it into the net with Yourston making little effort to save. Grant scored another goal for the visitors and it looked as if Berwick were to be out of the competition before half time had arrived. However, Rangers rallied, and a penalty was awarded when J. Campbell was tripped on his way into the box. Wilson took the kick and scored. After the interval, several changes were made to the Berwick team. H. Campbell went to full back and Wilson moved into the half line; J. R. Blythe went into the forward line; Watson fell half back, and J. Campbell moved into his customary centre position. The changes seemed to be for the better and for a while Rangers set the pace. After a few attacks, Weddell netted with a neat shot. J. Campbell then saw two gift goals slip past him. Berwick attacked again but Ramage broke downfield and scored following a one-two with Grant. From the kick-off, Wilson punted the ball forward and Johnstone slipped it over for J. Campbell to score. Only a goal behind, Rangers made strenuous efforts to level matters. Robb brought off a tremendous save following a Johnstone corner from the left. It was from another corner, this time from the right, that Berwick equalised; Weddell placed well, and J. Campbell headed the ball home. However, seven minutes from the end Penicuik went ahead again. Brotherton made a run down the right and passed for Robertson, who was just six yards out and unmarked, to beat Yourston with ease. Rangers made a desperate last effort to draw level, but Penicuik held on to their slender win.

Nearly eleven years ago, when a new committee was appointed, the debt of the club was over £300. At the AGM of the club on Monday 9th May 1932 it was stated that the debt was now only £15. Mr A. J. Cairns, who was both Treasurer and Secretary, submitted the financial statement, which showed income to be £490 2s 1d. Principal items of income were: Gates, £210 6s 7d; away matches £59 2s 10d; Supporters' Club £102; special appeal £51 14s. Included in the expenditure side were the following special items: Visiting teams, £92; travelling expenses, £93 3s 10d; dinners £18 15s 6d; rates and taxes, £32 0s 6d, the total expenditure being £364 10s 8d. This left a profit on the season of £125 11s 5d. The capital account of the club was: Debit balance brought forward from last season, £140 19s 8d, less profit for the season of £125 11s 5d left the debt of the club at £15 8s 3d. The committee who had reduced this debt felt they had done well and that the time had come when they should stand down.

During the past season, the club had been run on amateur lines and was almost wholly local, unlike many of the other East of Scotland League clubs. The club had finished third in the East of Scotland League and reached the final of both ESFA Qualifying Cup and Border Cup, but unfortunately were defeated in each. During the latter half of the season, the club struggled to field a team owing to illness and injuries. Forty-one players were called upon with Joe Blythe and Wilson appearing in all matches.

The whole of the committee tendered their resignations, and it was only with difficulty that a new committee was formed. Proposals were taken for members of the committee and these came forward slowly, many declining to accept office. Only three came forward at the start until it was clearly stated that if no committee was formed that night there was no possibility of the club continuing and it was the purpose of the present committee to proceed with the winding up of the club. Eventually the following committee was formed: Messrs M. Patterson, J. Campbell (Secretary), A. Weatherburn, J. Patterson, W. Gibson, G. Hudson (Treasurer) and J. Renwick. Mr J. Y. Elder was elected Auditor, and the season was called to a close.