1936/37: Financial Withdrawal


Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Aug 8 F H Tweedside Co-op W 4-1
15 ESL A Duns D 1-1 2
22 ESL H Peebles YMCA W 5-4 5
29 ESL H Penicuik Athletic W 2-1 1
Sep 2 F A Alnwick Town W 3-1
5 EQC 1 A Jed Artisans L 3-5
10 F H Alnwick Town W 2-0
12 SQCS 1 A Selkirk L 1-4
19 ESL H Chirnside United W 3-2 1
26 ESL H Vale of Leithen D 2-2 1
Oct 3 ESL A Gala Fairydean W 4-1 1
10 ESL H Edinburgh University W 3-1 1
17 ESL A Peebles Rovers L 1-8 1
24 ESL A Vale of Leithen L 0-4 1
Nov 7 ESL H Jed Artisans L 2-4 1
14 BC 2 H Duns L 2-3
21 ESL A Murrayfield Amateurs L 3-5 5
28 ESL A Chirnside United W 4-2 2
Dec 5 ESL H Coldstream W 2-0 1
12 ESL A Coldstream L 1-3 3
25 F H Spittal Rovers D 0-0
Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Apr 29 F H St Bernard's L 1-6
May 8 BSCC SF H Chirnside United L 2-4
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Jed Artisans 19 6 1 1 26 11 7 4 0 25 11 31
2 Vale of Leithen 22 6 0 5 28 16 8 1 2 35 21 29
3 Peebles Rovers 21 7 1 3 54 21 4 1 5 22 27 24
4 Chirnside United 22 7 2 2 23 16 3 2 6 26 31 24
5 Penicuick Athletic 22 6 2 3 28 20 3 2 6 22 30 22
6 Duns 17 8 2 0 29 5 1 1 5 9 18 21
7 Murrayfield Amateurs 20 4 3 2 28 22 2 3 6 24 32 18
8 Coldstream 20 5 0 6 29 35 3 1 5 14 20 17
9 Berwick Rangers 14 5 1 1 19 14 2 1 4 14 24 16
10 Gala Fairydean 16 1 3 4 19 23 3 1 4 19 17 12
11 Peebles YMCA 17 3 1 5 19 27 1 0 7 16 34 9
12 Edinburgh University 12 0 2 2 4 8 3 1 4 15 27 9
13 Selkirk 16 1 2 6 17 29 0 2 5 6 31 6
Berwick Rangers withdrew from the East of Scotland League due to financial difficulties on 23 January 1937, but their record was allowed to stand.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

  A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G
James Athey 1
William Barry 6 1 1 1
John Bell 1
Joe R Blythe 11 3 1 1 1 1 3
William Burns 10 1 1 1 1 1
John Crombie 1
J Dawson 1
Theo Ditchburn 5 1
Alex (Sandy) Dixon 3 1 1 4 2
Robert Dryden 1
Syd Dryden 5 2 1 1
Thomas Eadie 1 1
Jimmy Gilchrist 1 2
Johnson Graham 1 1
Peter Hastie 7 2 1 1 1 1 2 4
George Hope 13 3 1 1 1 1 1 5 1
William Hope 4 1 1 1 3
Andrew Hush 6 3
George Hush 12 11 1 1 2 3
Robert (Bob) Jefferson 6 2 1 1
Tommy Johnstone 1
Johnny Martin 1
Arthur McLean 4 1 1
William McLean 3 1
Moody 1
Thomas Morrison 1
Douglas Patterson 1
James Pearson 7 1 2
John Pegg 1
F Robertson 1
Arthur Robinson 5 1 1 1
William (Billy) Robinson 4 1 1
Robert Rule 1
William Rule 9 1 1 1 4
Robert (Bob) Scobie 1
Robert Simpson 1
Smail 1 1
Donald Stewart 14 1 1 3
James Tait 3 3
George Thomson 1
James Wardhaugh 1 2
Willie Watson 6 2 1 1 1 1 1 4
Andrew Weatherburn 1
Timothy Wightman 2
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 2
Willie Yourston 2
own goal 1
Number of players used: 46


8. Berwick Rangers opened the 1936/37 campaign with a 4-1 win in a trial match against Tweedside Co-op at Shielfield Park. Rangers were determined to build a good side, comprising mainly of local players, for the season, and included T. Johnstone (Tweedside Co-op) R. Rule (Spittal Council Old Boys), J. Tait (Spittal Rovers), A. Dixon (Scremerston) and G. Hush, who returned to the club after playing for Duns last season. However, the match was a typical pre-season affair with both teams lacking any real interest other than a chance to stretch their legs. Rangers were early on the attack and took the lead on five minutes when Hush scored a simple goal. From ten yards out, Hush sent in a not too hard shot which Yourston seemed to stop and then let go. After this, it looked like Berwick would overrun the Store, but although Rangers had more of the play, they could not turn it into goals. The Co-op made sporadic attacks, and it was from one of these that they equalised when Wardhaugh latched onto from a pass by A. Hush on the half-hour. The teams were not on level terms for long as G. Hush put Berwick back in front a few minutes later. The second half was played much the same as the first with the pace slow. The game was well advanced before Rangers increased their lead. Gilchrist, out on the left, beat Pegg and sent a cross to Hush, who completed his hat trick with a powerful shot. Five minutes later, Dixon completed the scoring with an easy goal.

15. Berwick Rangers opened their competitive programme with a visit to Hawthorn Park, Duns, for an East of Scotland League match. Although the weather was ideal, both teams had difficulty in keeping their feet due to the long grass. Keenan in the Duns goal was the busier of the two keepers during the opening half. Berwick had a strong grip on the game, but King and Keenan were safe at the back for the home side. A cross by Blythe was neatly headed in by Dixon for Keenan to save. At the other end Nicholson hit the wrong side of the net and a long shot by the same player was safely held by Yourston. Watson had a good run for Berwick, but his parting shot went inches past. Keenan was applauded for double save before play was transferred to the other end where Robertson missed a sitter. After a goalless first half, it took 15 minutes into the second before the deadlock was finally broken when Broadley took his chance to put Duns ahead. Their lead did not last long, however, with Hush putting the teams back on level terms a few minutes later. There was not much between the teams after that and with neither side looking like scoring the game ended a poor one-all draw.

22. Berwick Rangers beat Peebles YMCA by the odd goal in nine in a league match at Shielfield Park. However, had a tenth goal been scored by the visitors and the points shared it would not have been an injustice. The game had a dramatic opening. From the time Irvine kicked off for the visitors until the ball was played to him in the goalmouth to score the opening goal only 32 seconds had lapsed. A high ball was lobbed into the goalmouth from the left wing and Irving volleyed the ball against Yourston and it bounced into the net. It was evident to all that Peebles were the better side with their fast-moving forwards dictating play and it came as no surprise when they doubled their advantage a few minutes later. Gilchrist pushed the ball over to the left wing for Buchan to return it high above the goal; it descended in such a way as to be misleading and, striking the inside of the upright, it bounced into the net. However, faced with a deficit of two goals Rangers never lost heart. Gradually the Berwick attack improved, and Robertson had to make a hurried dash from his goal to kick clear. Then, during a scrimmage, Rangers were awarded a penalty. W. Hope took the kick but shot straight at Robertson, who knocked it against the bar. Hope caught the rebound but sent it past. Berwick kept pressing and pulled goal back when Blythe placed a corner into the six-yard box and in the ensuing melee G. Hope forced the ball over the line. A minute later Rangers were level when Dixon slipped the ball through for Watson to hit a powerful drive into the net. Watson had the ball in the net again two minutes later, but the goal was ruled out for offside. With just two minutes of the opening half remaining, Peebles broke upfield and Berry sent in a weak shot which Yourston should have got to, but he misjudged the flight of the ball and it ended up in the net. Yourston was having a bad day in goal. Early in the second half, Dixon sent in a great shot which struck the bar and was cleared as Berwick pressed. W. Hope sent Hastie away with a long drive; Robertson advanced to meet him, but Hastie lifted the ball over his head to level the score at 3-3. A few minutes later, Rangers were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box; the kick was played short to Hastie, who rounded Carrick and scored from close in to give Berwick the lead. Straight after, Watson broke through, but his hard drive was well saved by Robertson. Peebles then attacked but Yourston saved well in a one-on-one with Rathie. Later, Peebles were awarded a free kick just outside the box and Fraser beat Yourston direct from the kick. Rangers retaliated and Watson was unlucky when his shot struck the upright. Keeping up the pressure, W. Hope sent in a high shot from a free kick which dropped over Robertson's head to restore the lead, which they held comfortably until the end.

29. Berwick Rangers took both points with a 2-1 win against Penicuik Athletic in match played at Shielfield Park under sweltering conditions. However, despite the hot weather, another poor crowd turned out to watch. To get more support at home matches, the Rangers' committee brought in three new players to bolster the team. Yourston, Wilson and Tait were all dropped. Yourston's place in goal was taken by Smail, ex-Ormiston Primrose and Dunbar United. Tait's place was taken by Burns, ex-Chirnside United and Duns, and Barry, ex-Dunbar United, replaced Wilson. Rangers started brightly with Blythe testing Bollard when he flicked on a strong shot from Burns. Hastie had the ball in the net shortly after, but the goal was ruled out for hand ball. Penicuik attacked when Morris sent Ramage and Walker away with a long clearance, but G. Hope defended strongly. Smail was confident in goal but not hard pressed, and he saved well when required. Rangers opened the scoring after 20 minutes when a neat one-two between Watson and Dixon saw the latter send a high ball into the goalmouth; the ball bounced down in front of the goal and Blythe ran in to head it into the net from close in. A minute later, Hastie should have put Berwick two ahead, but he hesitated too long in front of goal and the danger was cleared. Rangers kept up the pressure and just before the interval strong claims for a penalty went unheeded. Berwick had played well throughout the first half, but their one-goal lead should have been at least three. Both Blythe and Watson missed good chances and Hastie had not had the best of luck in the middle. Two minutes into the second half, Rangers were awarded a doubtful penalty when Davidson fell while trying to clear and the ball struck his outstretched arm; however, Blythe scuffed the ground when taking the spot kick and his shot went a foot wide of the post. Penicuik equalised soon after. Ramage sent in a low shot; Smail got to it on his knees, but the ball slipped from his grasp and bounced a foot behind him before he caught it. The referee, who was standing a yard inside the penalty area, signalled a goal much to the protest of Smail, who followed him halfway up the field, but the goal was allowed to stand. With teams now level, it looked as if Berwick would pay for their first-half misses as Penicuik played well. Gemmell went close to putting the visitors ahead with a fast drive which flew inches over the crossbar. However, all was at peace ten minutes from the end when Watson sent a shot into the goalmouth; it was cleared by Ormiston, but only as far as Dixon, who played it to Blythe and his shot struck the far post before trickling in with the Penicuik defence all at sea. In the final minute, Hastie, when running in on goal, was brought down heavily by Davidson as the visitors fought hard to prevent Rangers from scoring again at any cost.


2. Berwick Rangers travelled to Alnwick for a midweek friendly against new club Alnwick Town (formerly Alnwick United), who played in the Northern Alliance League. There was quite a good attendance, who watched an entertaining game. Rangers were without Smail, Barry and Burns with Pearson, Weatherburn and R. Jefferson taking their places as guests. Alnwick fielded a talented team, including R. Waugh, who played for Berwick Rangers a couple of seasons ago. Berwick had by far the better of the play in the first half and should have scored more than two goals, which were scored by Dixon and Hastie. In the second half, Rangers slackened off. Alnwick came more into the picture and reduced the lead midway through the half when the ball, which was slippery owing to rain, struck Rule on the leg and glanced into the net. Rangers, however, always had the game in hand, and Hastie broke through on his own to score and the game ended 3-1 to Berwick.

5. Berwick Rangers made their exit from the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at the first-round stage after a 5-3 defeat against Jed Artisans at Jedburgh. The Arts swept Rangers off their feet in the first half, but in the second with Berwick having advantage of the wind, their dominance was not so marked. It was unfortunate that Rangers were without the services of Dixon for practically the whole of the second half, for when he went off, they were only a goal behind. However, Jed Arts deserved their win. Rangers did not strike their form in the first half, and Smail was none to safe in goal. Berwick fielded the same team which beat Penicuik Athletic the previous week. The Arts got an unexpected set-back after five minutes when Stewart sent in a shot which Sherlaw made a bad job of in trying to head clear and deflected it into his own goal. The Arts then attacked strongly. Imrie sent in a shot that hit the crossbar and McTavish sent narrowly past. The Arts equalised when Smail failed to hold a shot from Smith and Marshalsay rushed in and smashed the ball into the net. A minute later, the Arts took the lead when Farnington scored with a low shot from 20-yards into the corner of the net. Smail made a heroic full-length dive but was a fraction of a second too late. The Berwick defence was showing signs of cracking and the Arts went two goals clear when Marshalsay headed in from a corner taken by Imrie. Later, Smail made a timely save when McTavish shot from close range. Berwick showed better form early in the second half with the wind in their favour and soon reduced the deficit. A smart move down the wing saw the ball crossed high into the six-yard box from where Blythe headed it into the roof of the net. Stewart then fired the ball over the crossbar as Berwick continued to press. However, Rangers were then unfortunate to lose the services of Dixon with a head injury. With only ten men, Berwick's revival began to fade out. The Arts attacked. Imrie sent narrowly wide, and Barry prevented a certain goal with McTavish running in. Imrie then paved the way for McDonald to restore the home sides two-goal advantage. Soon afterwards Marshalsay got his third goal for the Artisans when his long shot struck the underside of the crossbar and fell into the net behind Smail's head. Late in the match, Hastie pulled another goal back for Berwick following a well-placed cross into box from Blythe.

10. The return friendly match against Alnwick Town was played before a fair crowd at Shielfield Park. Rangers again proved too strong for the Northern Alliance side, although poor finishing spoiled many of the visitors' chances. Berwick used the match as a trial for their upcoming visit to Selkirk in the Scottish Qualifying Cup. The front line did little to impress, but the defence again displayed its ability to withstand severe pressure. Pearson was on trial for his place in the Rangers' goal and his display certainly strengthened his chances of appearing regularly in the team. Rule and Barry were the bane of the Alnwick forwards. The Berwick midfield got through the necessary work, but Hastie and Stewart were the only two Rangers forwards that impressed. Alnwick made the running in the first few minutes and Pearson was called into action to keep them out. The siege was lifted by a neat run by Blythe, who hit the side netting. Alnwick continued to impress, but Hastie received a forward pass from W. Hope and hooked the ball into the net. A few minutes later, Turnbull went close for the visitors, forcing Pearson into a full-length save. Rangers looked to have gone further ahead when Blythe received close in and scored a good goal, but the whistle had gone for half-time before the ball entered the net. Within a few minutes of the restart, Murphy fumbled a cross from Blythe and Hastie headed in a second goal for Berwick. Later, Alnwick had a nice run down the right; Waugh crossed neatly to Turnbull, and Pearson was lucky to be in the right spot to save the latter's header and the game ended 2-0 in Berwick's favour.

12. Any hopes Berwick Rangers had of qualifying for the Scottish Cup proper this season were ended after a disappointing 4-1 defeat at Ettrick Park, Selkirk. It was a big blow for the club with the financial implications involved. Rangers did not adapt themselves to the waterlogged ground conditions, and persisted in playing a short-passing game, whereas Selkirk played the long ball and this tactic proved better. Berwick showed one change to the team which beat Alnwick United two days earlier with R. Jefferson replacing Stewart. Selkirk pressed from the start and Pearson was forced into some fine saves. Brown headed in what looked a certain goal following a high cross by Douglas; however, Pearson produced an acrobatic save and clawed the ball away from under the crossbar. Tranter then struck the Berwick upright from 10 yards out and Douglas put the rebound wide. Following a Watson-Buckley tussle in front of the Selkirk goal, the Berwick forward hit a powerful shot, which unfortunately for the Rangers, went straight into Henderson's hands. Selkirk took the lead midway through the half when Higgins received a pass from Johnston on the wing and ran in on goal before slipping the ball past Pearson with inches to spare. A few minutes later, Higgins came close to scoring again following a similar move. However, the first half closed with Berwick on the attack. Henderson beat Blythe for possession in a one-on-one before saving a certain goal from Hastie and, when in a good position, Jefferson blazed over the bar. Berwick started the second half on the attack and only good work by Philip and Henderson prevented them from scoring. I was not until the 75th minute that Selkirk scored their second when Burns failed to hold Higgins and he crossed for Tranter to head past Pearson and into the net. Berwick were reduced to ten men when Barry had to be carried from the field for treatment. Selkirk made the most of their numerical advantage and Brown put the home side three up when found the net after Pearson had fumbled a shot from Douglas. When Barry returned, he was no more than a passenger out on the wing with Blythe dropping back to take his place. Selkirk made it four without return when Tranter scored the best goal of the game with a stunning 20-yarder. Jefferson should have reduced the deficit, but three Selkirk defenders busted him in the mud dangerously close to the penalty box. G. Hope then struck the Selkirk crossbar from 15 yards and Henderson cleared the rebound before the Berwick forwards could pounce. Before the end, Rangers did get a goal – a penalty for hands, and not without incident. Hastie took the kick, but Henderson moved before the shot was taken. The keeper saved the shot, but the referee ordered the kick to be retaken, and this time Hastie made no mistake.

19. Spectators who witnessed the league encounter with Chirnside United at Shielfield Park were well repaid, for they saw a game that was fast, keen and exciting. The honours went to Berwick in the first half, but Chirnside fought back strongly in the second, and were the better side. They reduced a three-goal lead until they were only a goal behind, and it seemed as if an equaliser was only a question of time, but Rangers stood firm at the back and claimed the points. G. Hope was out through illness and his place was taken by G. Hush in a reshuffled line-up. There was quite a good gate with £11 6s 11d being taken. The opening exchanges were keen with both sides testing each other's defence. Rangers then had a spell of pressure. Hastie received on the right and sent in a fast drive which Scott did well to punch over the bar. Berwick opened the scoring on the half-hour when Rule sent a long pass upfield to Hush, who ran through to score with a low shot. Chirnside fought hard but could not find a way through the Berwick defence and Rangers pushed the visitors back into their own half. Watson sent a nice cross into the goalmouth from which Jefferson headed home a second goal for the Rangers. Keeping up the attack, Scott was none too safe in clearing a shot from Hush, who hit the upright from close in with the keeper beaten. A few minutes later, Jefferson let Hush through, but he failed to get what looked like a certain goal. Up to the interval, Rangers were on top, and shots were rained in from all directions. Chirnside started the second half strongly and the Berwick defence was hard pressed. Eventually Rule cleared and Hush was sent through but finished weakly. R. Morrish nearly scored an own goal when he played the ball back to Scott; the ball went between his legs and only a quick intervention from Morrish prevented a score. Rangers scored their third soon after. W. Hope hit the crossbar; the ball bounced down onto Scott's head, and Hush made no mistake in running the ball into the net. Chirnside took up the attack and Combe had a good try, which struck the upright and went out. The, a high shot by Greenan seemed to be safely held by Pearson, but the ball slipped out of his hands and into the net. Combe had a great chance to reduce the score further, but with only Pearson to beat he missed badly. However, Chirnside won a corner and Combe placed well to J. Buchanan, who scored a second for the visitors. Chirnside went all out for the equaliser but were caught at the back when Hush sent Jefferson away. Jefferson ran on the Chirnside goal at pace and fired in a hard shot which Scott pushed over the top. Chirnside came again and A. Morrish sent in a powerful shot which beat Pearson, but E. Buchanan headed over the bar instead of letting the ball go into the net. Up to the end Chirnside pressed but could not get the equalising goal.

26. Berwick Rangers were in danger of being beaten at Shielfield Park by Vale of Leithen. They were two goals down at one time, and it was only after a great rally in the second half that Rangers were able to pull level. Vale were by far the better side in the first half, but Rangers were on top after the interval. Taken all over, the game was poor compared with the display against Chirnside United the previous week. Vale did all the pressing at the start, but their shooting was none too accurate, and Pearson had little to do. After ten minutes' play, the ball was played across the home goalmouth and in a melee Sterricks sent a high ball to Connolly, who headed into the net. Rangers fought back and Jefferson tested Harkes, but within three minutes Vale went further ahead. Sterricks made the running on the right and put to McCabe, who allowed the ball to glance off his foot and into the net for a soft goal. Two goals down with 13 minutes gone, Rangers upped their game and Harkes brought off two good saves to keep them out. A long drive by Hastie had Harkes beaten, but the ball struck the bar. At the other end, Connolly broke through, but Pearson saved on the line. A minute later, Pearson made a splendid save from a point-blank shot by Archibald. G. Hope almost put through his own goal when he headed backwards during pressure by the visitors. Hope went close with a header following a corner before McCabe was presented with a fine chance but shot over from close in at the other end. Practically on the interval, Miller handled inside the penalty box and Hush scored from the spot with the last kick of the half. In the second half Rule and Barry changed places. Vale continued to press but Pearson was in top form. Rangers came more into the picture. Hope sent in a great drive following a corner and Miller kicked clear with Harkes out of position. There was another mix-up in the Vale goal following another corner, but Rangers could not force the ball over the line. Rangers deserved a goal at this stage. Robertson sent in a lovely cross, but Jefferson headed past. Berwick were awarded another penalty for a hand ball infringement. Hush took the kick; Harkes stopped his drive but pushed it out and Hush followed up to net the rebound. Rangers kept up the pressure and Hush got through again but could not get in his shot. Vale were seldom in the picture after this, but despite all their efforts Rangers could not get the winning goal.


3. Berwick Rangers brought off a superb 4-1 win at Galashiels, and there was no fluke about it. The win was fully deserved and for most of the game they were well on top. Rangers made one change to their team with A. Hush, brother of G. Hush, taking the place of Robertson. Berwick opened strongly and were a goal up within a minute, Jefferson sending in a magnificent shot from an acute angle to beat Henry. After Knox had sent Cummings away on a raid which Pearson cleared, G. Hush looked like scoring, but Henry saved. Berwick kept up a fierce attack on the home goal and it required desperate measures by T. Brown and Henry to prevent Rangers from adding to their lead. Gala improved and had one or two attacks which produced nothing, although Cummings would have scored if he had taken more time with his final shot when well placed. Berwick doubled their lead when G. Hush broke away and shot hard; Henry would probably have saved if Willis had not deflected the ball which flew into the far corner of the net. Gala kept making defensive mistakes which gave Rangers the chance to keep the play in the home half. Berwick continued to harass the home defence and after the brothers Hush had broken through A. Hush gave Henry no chance with a long-range shot. Until the interval Berwick held the upper hand, and their quick passing had the home defence on the run. The second half started with a smart attack by Knox and Cummings, from which the latter nearly scored. A minute later, Cummings slipped the ball through to Adams, who found the net with a low shot. Rangers replied quickly with a goal by G. Hush, who shot into an empty net after Henry had rushed out to save from his brother. Gala could make no headway, and Hope had a firm hold on Cummings. Berwick, by their quicker and more accurate passing were much more dangerous. Gala enjoyed a greater share of the game in the second half, but they found the stubborn Berwick defence too much for them. Adams was unfortunate in the closing minutes with a ground shot which went narrowly wide with Pearson out of position.

10. It was top versus bottom when Berwick Rangers played Edinburgh University in a league match at Shielfield Park. Rangers fielded the same team as that which beat Gala Fairydean so handsomely the previous week, but they struggled against a Uni side which had yet to score a goal. Though Berwick deserved their 3-1 victory, it was not until well into the second half that they asserted their superiority. The game opened at a fast pace. G. Hush broke through on goal, but McLean cleared and sent Low away to force Pearson into saving at full length. Rangers attacked and A. Hush had a fine effort saved by W. Johnston. A minute later, Gordon headed out from under the crossbar with Johnston out of position. The students were very fast and gave the Berwick defence a lot of work to do. Rangers took the lead when Jefferson slipped the ball through to Hope who, from 30-yards, hit a superb left-footed drive into the back of the net. Pearson showed good judgement when he caught a shot from H. Johnston just under the bar. The Uni got their just reward when they equalised, but Stewart was to blame for the goal and not Pearson. Stewart got in the way of Pearson as he gathered a shot and H. Johnston had the easy job of tapping the ball into the net for their first goal of the season. The students took up the running and Pearson saved several dangerous shots. In the closing stages of the half, Hope hit another long drive, which W. Johnston turned around the post. The visitors pressed at the start of the second half and held Berwick in their own half for a considerable time. After W. Johnston had saved from G. Hush, Rutherford sent in a good shot from a free kick which Pearson saved but slipped in doing so and it was lucky for Berwick that Stewart was on the line to head out from McLean. At the other end, Hastie had a good effort, which Johnston knocked past, before G. Hush put Rangers back into the lead. Johnston had just stopped a shot and was gathering the loose ball when Hush ran in to challenge; Dick tried to hold Hush off, but fell against Johnston, who dropped the ball, and Hush had an easy job to restore the home lead. A few minutes later, G. Hush sent in a powerful shot which struck the upright, and later he headed over from just two yards out following a well-placed free kick by Burns. The students made desperate efforts to level the score, and they almost succeeded when Low landed the ball on top of the net with Pearson out of position. However, two minutes from the end, Rangers made the game safe when Blythe let G. Hush away and he side-stepped Dick before turning the ball past Johnston into the net.

17. Berwick Rangers suffered their first league defeat with an 8-1 thrashing at the hands of Peebles Rovers at Whitestone Park. Rangers deserved to be beaten as they were well outplayed. The forwards could not be blamed for the defeat as the defence was greatly at fault, and Pearson had a very bad day. While Rangers were so heavily defeated, they also had the misfortune to find Peebles Rovers in such top form. Rangers were without Burns, whose place was taken by T. Wightman of Duns. The game opened on fast and even lines. Dodds had the first shot on goal, which Pearson cleared easily. Dodds was again in shooting range a few minutes later, but his parting shot was cleared for a corner. Berwick then came into the picture as an attacking force and Wilson saved well on two occasions to preserve his goal. Although Peebles were playing with the strong wind behind them, they found it more of a hindrance than a help. However, following a well-placed corner by Rathie, Blair lobbed the ball into the Berwick goalmouth and Dodds rose to head in a nice goal. A minute later, the woodwork saved the Peebles goal when an effort from Blythe had Wilson well beaten. After a spell of midfield play, Marshalsay went close for the home side when his shot just grazed the wrong side of the post. Ten minutes from the interval, Rathie crossed from the right and Waterson put Peebles two-up with a rather soft shot. Five minutes later, Cochrane scored a third with a 25-yard drive which gave Pearson no chance. Two minutes from the interval, Robertson snapped up Rovers' fourth with a low left-footed drive. Berwick looked like improving their position early in the second half, but Blythe shot past when placed. Robertson increased the home lead with a lob which deceived Pearson and Marshalsay added to the total soon after. Kilner followed with a seventh from a penalty kick before A. Hush opened Berwick's account. Rathie wrapped up the scoring with number eight for Peebles just before the close.

24. After the heavy defeat at Peebles, Berwick Rangers had hoped make wholesale changes to the team for the match at Vale of Leithen. Pte. Gardiner, who was attached to the Military Hospital in Berwick, was chosen to play in goal and Dixon at inside-right, but the former was playing a trial with Gateshead Reserves, while Dixon turned out for Scremerston. Berwick had Athey at right-back, while Pearson occupied his old place in goal, and Watson, who had been out of the team for some weeks, partnered Jefferson on the right. Pearson played a much better game than he did the previous week, but the defence was far from being steady. After a reasonable performance in the first half, which ended goalless, Rangers collapsed in the second and were beaten 4-0. Rangers won the toss and set Vale to face a strong wind and driving rain. Vale were first to attack, however, and Sterricks forced an unproductive corner. Berwick rushed to the other end and forced a free kick, which the home defence cleared with difficulty. Syme and McIntee combined well on the Vale left, but Pearson turned the ball aside for a corner. Rangers forced a sustained attack on the home goal and Harkes saved well several times before Miller cleared the danger. Vale took up the running and Naughty missed a great chance of scoring. A minute later, the same player smashed the ball against the upright with Pearson out of position. In the run up to half-time, Vale were clearly on top, but Pearson was unbeatable in the Rangers' goal. Vale continued where they left off in the second half and, after nine minutes' play, they were two goals up, Syme and Naughty beating Pearson with well-struck shots. Keeping up their offensive, Vale went further ahead when Campbell scored a stunner. Rangers were now being outclassed, and only the fine work of Pearson in goal saved a rout. He was beaten again, however, when Sterricks crossed for Naughty to head into the net. Ten minutes from the end, Jefferson was ordered off after retaliating following a late foul.


7. Despite strengthening their team by the inclusion of five players, four from the Newcastle district and one from Musselburgh, Berwick Rangers met with their first home defeat of the season when they were beaten 4-2 by Jed Artisans. Ditchburn, ex-Ashington; McLean, Pegswood, who had recently been on trial with Chesterfield; Robinson, nine years in professional football with Chesterfield and Hartlepool, and Syd Dryden, brother of Jack the former Newcastle United winger, had been chosen earlier in the week, but a fifth player in Moody, Musselburgh Athletic, had to be brought in for Jefferson, who had gone to play another trial for Ashington. The Arts started the first half with some swift attacking moves. Stewart saw a good shot cleared for a corner and Fairnington skimmed the crossbar. Imrie had the ball in the net, but it was through a hole in the side netting and disallowed. Moody went close for Berwick with a well-taken free kick from the edge of the box. A few minutes later, Hush sent the ball into the crowded goalmouth and McDonald nearly put into his own net, but King cleared on the line. Rangers took the lead when Blythe crossed from the left; Hush headed against the bar; the ball bounced out and Robinson stooped low to head it into the net. The Arts returned to the attack and nearly equalised following a corner. Rarity hit a hard drive from the right which Pearson punced out from below the bar. Farnington was left with only Pearson to beat, but he shot across the face of the goal. However, a minute from the interval the visitors levelled with a soft goal. Sherlaw sent in a high shot which Pearson seemed to have safe, but he allowed it to slip out of his hands into the net. Jed attacked strongly on the restart. Burke headed past from a free kick, while an overhead kick by Farnington went inches wide of the post. The Arts took the lead when McTavish sent in a hard shot which Pearson palmed out and Wakenshaw ran the ball into the net. Rangers came back into the picture and Hope saw his 25-yarder punched over the crossbar by Ramage for a corner. Berwick got back on level terms when McLean sent in a shot from even further out which Ramage failed to stop. The teams were not level for long. From the kick-off, Imrie raced away and crossed for Wakenshaw to do the necessary. Rangers had an attacking spell during which King was lucky to clear a shot from Hush. However, seven minutes from the end it was game over when Burke took the ball upfield and scored with a long-range shot. Up to the end Rangers pressed, but never looked like scoring.

14. Very lucky indeed were the only words able to describe the victory of Duns in the second round of the Border Cup at Shielfield Park. If ever a team deserved to win on play it was Berwick Rangers. Duns played well in the first half but did not deserve a two-goal lead at the interval. In the second half Rangers completely mastered their more fancied opponents and Keenan in goal was their saviour, along with the referee. The winning goal was a mistake by the referee for Broadley was standing some three yards offside when the ball was played to him, but the referee allowed him to run on and score. Duns fielded the same team which won the Scottish Qualifying Cup, while Rangers had W. Robinson, a 17-year-old goalkeeper from Ashington, in place of Pearson. With the aid of the wind and slope, Duns took up the attack at the start and Broadley was almost through, but Robinson ran out and smothered his shot. Rangers gave as good as they got and during an attacking spell Watson ran through and beat Fraser, but his parting shot went just over. Berwick had Duns penned in their own half, but the visitors took the lead against the run of play when Robertson hit a long-range shot which flashed past the diving Robinson into the net. Two minutes later, Wilson sent in a high cross which Broadley headed in. Robinson was unsighted at the time by Stewart and although he got a hand to the ball, he could not stop it entering the net. Duns continued press and Robertson hit another strong drive which Robinson fisted against the bar and then saved cleverly from Wilson who had caught the rebound. Just before the interval, Dryden played Hush through on the Duns goal, but Keenan rushed out and beat him to the ball. There was a startling change after the sides swapped ends and within five minutes Rangers were on equal terms. Hope scored from a free kick, but the goal was disallowed. Keenan then made a good save from a shot by A. Robinson, but Rangers then scored two goals in two minutes. Dryden paved the way for Hush to score the first before sending over another fine pass for A. Robinson to score the second from close in. Rangers then hemmed Duns in, but Keenan made some brilliant saves to keep the score level. Berwick were unlucky when Dryden wormed his way through and beat Keenan, but the ball grazed the top of the crossbar and went over. Duns then took the lead with goal that was most definitely offside. Broadley was clearly three yards in front of both backs when he received the ball and ran on to score. Enough said.

21. Berwick Rangers slumped to their fifth defeat in succession with a 5-3 loss against Murrayfield Amateurs at Pinkhill. Rangers were without Burns and Watson, their places being taken by Tait and A. Hush. At one time Berwick were only a goal behind, but the reason for their defeat lay in defence. The defence failed to clear their lines on several occasion and Wilson, Murrayfield's outside-left, was allowed too much space and scored four goals. The home side kicked off at a smart pace and Wilson sent over a neat cross which R. Munro shot over. The Amateurs continued to make the running and their right wing was prominent. Dodging several opponents, Fraser slipped a nice pass to E. Wilson, but he was unfortunate in his attempt at goal. Berwick were not making much of it in the early stages and the Amateurs were rewarded when they opened the scoring on ten minutes. A slip by Stewart allowed Barclay to play D. Wilson through and whose parting effort deceived Robinson. Apart from occasional raids, Berwick were being confined to their own half and Robinson had much to do in goal. The Amateurs continued to play in a confident manner, and it came as no surprise when they doubled their lead. R. Munro put the ball out wide to E. Wilson, who sent a nice cross into the goalmouth for Henderson to head in a shot which gave Robinson no chance. Berwick upped their game after this further reverse and for the first time Harper was hard pressed. However, Rangers' shooting power lacked fire, although G. Hush was certainly unlucky with a strong header from which Harper brought off a first-class save. Rangers made a strong effort to reduce the deficit, but although the Murrayfield defence was hard pressed for a short spell their goal remained intact at half-time. The second half was fought out on much faster lines with Berwick a much-improved side and they reduced the to score to 4-3 at one point. However, D. Wilson was in top form and scored three second-half goals for Murrayfield while Berwick did likewise with goals from G. Hush, A Hush and Blythe.

28. The league meeting of near neighbours Chirnside United and Berwick Rangers drew a large crowd to Home Park, who witnessed an entertaining match. The match started on fast lines with both goals visited in turn. In a home raid Quinn missed by the merest fraction, while offside robbed Berwick of a good chance. Hush forced an unproductive corner and later missed a good chance to score. At the other end, Cossar and Quinn had commendable tries. Robinson in the Berwick goal was having more to do than his counterpart, but his work was first-class. Rangers had been making good headway with long forward passes and after a while Chirnside did likewise to counter. The Berwick left was proving dangerous, and it came as no surprise when Dryden latched onto a pass from McLean and steadied himself before beating Hall. Chirnside tried hard to get on level terms, but the Berwick defence stood firm. Rangers doubled their lead after forcing a corner. Hush placed it well and Burns applied the finishing touch. Two goals up, a minute later it was near three, but Watson squandered the chance. Chirnside pulled a goal back when Cossar made a fine run, beating two defenders, parting with the ball and receiving it back again, before driving it well out of Robinsons reach. Muir sent over a fine cross but there were no takers and just before half-time Robinson saved a terrific shot from Train as the home side ended the half on the attack. Quinn had a good try which grazed the crossbar as Chirnside continued to press at the start of the second half. However, Berwick scored a surprise goal when Watson forced the ball home in a goalmouth melee. Rangers then began to do the bulk of the pressing and Hall was often in action. Hush was the keyman in the Berwick attack and caused the home defence no end of problems. Dougal, however, broke up a dangerous attack and Hunter raced away, but his shot missed by inches. Chirnside regrouped and kept Berwick on the defensive. Rangers broke out and Dougal failed to stop Dryden, who hit the ball out of Hall's reach for a fourth time, and he later rattled the crossbar. With time running out, the game was held up for several minutes when Watson and Holligan came to grips. Several spectators invaded the pitch and players from both sides helped clear the field before play resumed minus Holligan and Watson who received their marching orders from the referee. Any interest was now out of the game, which finished in semi-darkness with Train scoring Chirnside's second goal from long range.


5. Berwick Rangers returned to the top of the East of Scotland League table with the two points won in a 2-0 victory over Coldstream at Shielfield Park. It was not an inspiring display, but this could hardly be expected due to a strong wintery breeze blowing from one end to the other, in addition, Coldstream played with ten men throughout and in the second half they were hopelessly outplayed. Stewart was late in turning up for Berwick and both teams took the field with only ten men. Rangers included Eadie, who had been playing for Penicuik Athletic, in the team. Curran failed to turn up for Coldstream and Bryson, who had intended playing full-back, donned the keeper's jersey. Coldstream had the aid of the wind and slope and started strongly with Ford hitting the crossbar from close in. Rangers attacked in turn and Bryson had to save from Eadie. Coldstream were playing some neat football, but Berwick began to take control and Dryden was unlucky with a shot which struck the side netting. Stewart turned up to complete the Rangers team and Coldstream were quickly under pressure. Eadie let Dryden through but his shot from close in went over. Coldstream's swift passing was causing the Berwick defence problems and following a bad clearance by Ditchburn, John Laing fired in a shot which struck the bar with Robinson well beaten. Rangers kept pressing and Dryden had a nice run before he crossed into the goalmouth; the ball went to Hush, who ran in to put Berwick ahead with well-hit low shot. In the run up to half-time, Coldstream kept Robinson busy, but the keeper showed a safe pair of hands. Just before the interval, Turnbull was unfortunate to see his shot go inches wide, with Robinson out of position. Rangers started the second half strongly. Eadie broke through but failed to get his shot away and a fast drive by McLean just skimmed the crossbar with Bryson well beaten. Hope sent in a neat shot following a corner and Eadie deflected the ball just over. Eadie had better luck a few minutes later when he connected with a Hush pass in the box and blasted the ball into the net off Bryson's outstretched leg to put Berwick further ahead. Coldstream had a narrow escape when Affleck kicked against the post and Bryson picked up off the goal-line. Rangers should have scored more as Ditchburn saw his effort turned over the top by Bryson and Eadie had a great chance but skied the ball over from just two yards out. However, two goals were enough to claim the points and job done.

12. Coldstream turned the table on Berwick Rangers with a 3-1 win when the teams met in a return back-to-back league match at Home Park. Coldstream gave a good display, especially in the second half, as they took revenge on the Rangers, who played well in the first half but faded out in the second. Rangers opened on the attack and Fraser was called into action to save from Dryden. Coldstream soon began to press. Laing missed narrowly following a corner before he and the Simpson had hard lines with low shots. In another home attack, Laing forced a corner on the left and from the kick Hope cleared; Simpson caught the ball and sent in a shot which appeared to be a goal all the way, but Robinson pulled off a brilliant save. W. Hush sent a nice cross into the home goalmouth, but Dryden just failed to connect. G. Hush, on one or two occasions, nearly got through, but Bryson was ever watchful. The home players appealed for a penalty when Rule appeared to handle inside the area, but the referee thought otherwise. Coldstream took the lead just before the interval when Laing crossed for Ford to score from close range. Berwick were on level terms a few minutes into the second half when Hope scored direct from a free kick given against Ford for a foul just outside the box. However, the Berwick goal was soon back under pressure as Coldstream took a firm grip on the game. Simpson put narrowly wide and from one of Turnbull's numerous crosses Rule again appeared to handle inside the box, but for a second time the referee refused to give a penalty. The referee was again called into question when a strong clearance by Hope found two of the Berwick forwards offside, but the referee allowed them to run on and Fraser brought off a superb one-handed save to keep the score level. Coldstream upped their game after these decisions against them and Simpson completed a brilliant individual move by paving the way for Laing to double their lead. There was no let up by the home side and with two minutes remaining Tocher scored Coldstream's third.

Rangers were to have played Gala Fairydean in an East of Scotland League match at Shielfield Park on December 19th, but Gala could not raise a team to travel.

25. Berwick Rangers were to have played hosts to St Bernard's in a Christmas Day friendly. However, the Saints had only 15 players on their roll and did not wish to risk any of them before some of their most important matches of the season. Berwick looked around for alternative opposition. Edinburgh City were approached but declined and Rangers had to look for a local team to oppose them. Spittal Rovers came to the rescue but had to field a team minus three of its best players. Rangers too were under strength, but not more so than the Rovers, who were without the brothers Moffat and Bell. Rangers brought in Pegg, a local lad serving in the army and home on leave; Tait and Wardhaugh of Tweedside Co-op and Dixon of Scremerston. G. Hush led the attack and J Dryden partnered his brother on the left. There was a fair attendance when the game started. Rovers played with more zest, but Rangers played the better football. However, both keepers were in top form and the game ended goalless. Rangers were slow in settling down and Spittal pressed in the first twenty minutes but as the game progressed Berwick took command and were well on top by half-time. The second half play was much the same but in reverse. Rangers dominated the opening twenty before Spittal did likewise late on. Spittal came close to snatching a late goal when Crombie headed a brilliant effort on goal, but Robinson was equal to it.


2. Berwick Rangers were to have travelled to Jedburgh to meet the Artisans in a league match but owing to the holidays they have found it difficult to raise a team and the game was postponed until a later date.

9. After being without a game for the last three Saturdays, Berwick Rangers were to entertain Selkirk in an East of Scotland League fixture at Shielfield Park. However, an hour or so before the game was due to commence, Selkirk wired that several of their players were down with influenza, and they were unable to raise a team to travel. Several spectators had made their way to Shielfield Park and were disappointed to find a notice on the gate informing them that the match was off.

Dissatisfied with the treatment of the East of Scotland League Committee, Berwick Rangers announced that they were to consider leaving the East of Scotland League and a meeting of the Rangers' committee was called for Friday 15th January to sanction this step being taken and the calling of a general meeting of supporters to endorse it.

For some weeks past the Committee of Berwick Rangers had felt they were not being delt with fairly by the League Committee. Within recent weeks Rangers had had two home games arranged, one with Gala Fairydean, and another with Selkirk, and on both occasions the visiting teams cancelled the game, resulting in a loss of revenue for Berwick Rangers. Yet at the same time, the League Committee expected Berwick to fulfil their away fixtures, travelling long distances in the short daylight. Rangers had been fixed to travel to Peebles play the YMCA on January 16th, but in view of the long journey, and the early 2.30 kick-off, Rangers found it impossible to raise a team to leave Berwick in time for the match. Had an away fixture been fixed for a short journey with one of the teams in the district, Rangers would have been only pleased to fulfil the fixture, but they considered a journey to Peebles at this time of year, under the circumstances, out of the question. This season the club had fallen into debt to the extent of £50. Not a week since October had there been a profit. Gates had been poor and expenses high.

Following the meeting the following statement was issued by Rangers Secretary Mr J. Borthwick: "We have decided to withdraw from the East of Scotland League and the King Cup competition. It is unlikely that we will play again this season. We are directing our attention to clearing off the debt which we have incurred. The question of us applying for entry to the Northern Alliance, a combination in Northumberland, was discussed. It has been decided to call a meeting of the Rangers supporters on Friday, to get expressions of their attitude towards the Committees' decision to withdraw from the League."

The meeting between the Committee and representatives of the Supporters' Club, was held on Friday 22nd January in the British Legion Club Rooms in Sandgate. Mr J. Borthwick, the Rangers' secretary gave a verbal report of how the club had reached its present unenviable situation. As everyone knew, he said, Rangers had done quite well at the beginning of the season. They had been top of the League. They found things were going right for them, but as they met better teams, they soon found it necessary to improve the side. Gates were not too good at the time, and it was felt that if they got a more attractive team together with several strange faces the public would rally round. We imported talent at great expense, and we thought the public would help us to justify that expense. Such has not proved the case. We have dropped a large sum of money in the last nine or ten games, and we came to the decision that something would have to be done. A supporters' club was formed, and it has done remarkably well – far better than we expected. Mr Borthwick went on to tell of the decision come to by the joint committee that the club's fixtures should be cancelled. But, he added, Berwick Rangers Football Club does not belong to us. It belongs to the public of Berwick. We have tried to do our best for it, but things have not gone as we would have liked, and this meeting has been called to see if any alternative suggestions can be made to that which we have decided upon last week. All we wish for tonight is an expression of opinion and a decision upholding and displaying confidence in our finding. It seems to me, he added, that the people of Berwick are either sick and tired of football or are sick and tired of the League in which we are playing. If we cancel our fixtures, I would like you to know that the committee will be meeting frequently during the remainder of the season in an endeavour to wipe off the deficit to enable the club to start next season with a clean sheet.

Before the vote took place treasurer Mr H. C. Southey gave a financial statement, the brief of which was that up to the present time this season the club had liabilities amounting to £81 1s 11d, and the debt for the three previous years amounts to £112 1s 10d.

The meeting was attended by 48 persons. When the vote was taken, five supported an amendment that the Club carry on, and 43 voted in favour of the motion that the Club lapse into inactivity for the remainder of the season.

Berwick Rangers informed the East of Scotland FA that they were withdrawing from the East of Scotland League and King Cup due to financial difficulties and, along with the Supporters' Club, set about reducing the club's debt.

The Berwick Rangers Supporters' Club, and Ladies Committee formed to work alongside them, worked assiduously to wipe off the financial liabilities with various fund-raising events and the debit balance quickly disappeared.


29. In the first match played after the club's withdrawal from football duties, St Bernard's visited Shielfield Park to play Berwick Rangers in a friendly in aid of the Supporters' Club Shilling Fund. Added interest was lent to the fixture by the appearance of Robert Scobie, a Berwick Grammar School boy, in the ranks of the visiting team. He was playing a trial promised him a few months previous. Rangers turned out a local team, a side which was representative of the Borough. Only two players who were in the Rangers team when the club ceased playing were included, they were W. Rule and G. Hope. The Berwick defence was under pressure from the start, and following a left-wing move, Scobie opened the scoring after just three minutes with a low shot into the net. After this early set back, Rangers attacked, but the visitors soaked up the pressure and went further ahead when Russell headed in a neat cross from Pinkerton. The Saints kept pressing and Johnston struck the woodwork with a terrific shot and Morrison did well to tip a goal-bound effort from Russell over the crossbar. Berwick forced a couple of unproductive corners before the visitors scored their third. Morrison stopped a powerful Russell shot, but the ball broke free, and Scobie made no mistake with the rebound. Tait was the first Berwick player to come near to scoring when he sent a fast-rising shot inches over the crossbar just before the interval. St Bernard's continued to attack in the second half and Morrison was kept busy for a time. However, a quick Berwick raid saw Crombie send in a hard shot which Smith did well to save. In a subsequent raid, the visitors were penalised for a hand ball offence in the penalty box and Hope made no mistake from the spot. The Saints restored their three-goal lead a few minutes later when Flucker crossed to Pinkerton, who received the ball after a miskick in front of goal by Tait, and netted. Their fifth was registered in the next raid when Morrison allowed a soft shot from Russell to slip past him. Maintaining the pressure, Scobie concluded the scoring with his hat trick goal from a cross into the centre by Pinkerton. Rangers might have been beaten 6-1, but from a financial point of view it was a success with £18 6s 9d being raised.


8. Chirnside United earned the right to play Duns in the final of the Berwickshire Charity Cup after defeating Berwick Rangers 4-2 in the semi-final at Shielfield Park. However, their passage into the final was by no easy means, as a youthful Rangers side gave an inspired display, and the outcome of the match was doubtful until late in the second half. Chirnside were strengthened for the occasion by the inclusion of goalkeeper Hall of Murrayfield Amateurs and Flucker of St Bernard's. Rangers, on taking the lead, dominated play until the interval, after which experience told. An accurately place corner in the opening minutes by Wardhaugh was headed just over by Dawson. After Scobie had scraped the upright, Thomson broke away down the right and crossed to Watson, who lobbed the ball into the net to open the scoring. Chirnside had a short spell of pressure before Wardhaugh came close to extending Berwick's lead when his cross struck the upright. Chirnside had an opportunity to level, but Johnstone shot wide with only the Berwick keeper to beat. However, a few minutes later, Till made a dazzling run and his cross was rammed into the net up by Flucker to equalise. Rangers were awarded a penalty for hands early in the second half and Hope converted from the spot. The pace was beginning to tell on the youthful home team and the more experienced visitors were showing their superiority. Chirnside attacked strongly and Johnstone was beaten by a high shot from Herbert. Shortly after, Till placed a corner to Reid, who headed the ball into the net to give Chirnside the lead. The game continued at pace and five minutes from the end Johnstone put the decision out of doubt with a fast-rising shot.

Optimism and enthusiasm marked the club's annual general meeting for the first time in many years. Due to the hard work of the Berwick Rangers Supporters' Club and Ladies Committee, the debit balance had disappeared, and there was a small balance in the bank. Amongst the fund-raising events were a shilling appeal fund, which brought in £12 11s in donations; a bazaar £99 18s; the St Bernard's friendly match £18 6s, and a jumble sale £10 5s. Along with donations from individuals and trades people the total amount raised was over £195.

The club was now debt free.