1929/30: A Busy Season.


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 17 ESL A Bathgate L 1-3
24 ESL A Leith Amateurs 3-2
31 ESL & EQC 1 H Vale of Leithen W 3-1
Sep 7 SQC 1 A Murrayfield Amateurs L 1-2
14 ESL & EQC 2 A Murrayfield Amateurs L 0-2
21 ESL H Edinburgh City W 2-1
28 ESL H Peebles Rovers L 1-2
Oct 5 ESL A Selkirk W 6-1
19 ESL H Duns L 1-2
26 ESL A Hawick United W 3-1
Nov 2 ESL H Gala Fairydean D 4-4
9 ESL A Coldstream W 2-1
16 ESL H Civil Service Strollers D 2-2
23 KC 1 A Coldstream L 1-2
30 ESL A Edinburgh City L 1-3
Dec 7 ESL A Duns W 4-0
14 ESL H Clerwood Amateurs W 4-3
21 ESL H Edinburgh University W 7-3
25 ESL H Coldstream W 6-3
28 ESL H Selkirk D 1-1
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 4 ESL A Civil Service Strollers D 3-3
11 ESL H Leith Amateurs D 2-2
25 ESL A Gala Fairydean L 1-3
Feb 15 ESL H Bathgate L 1-3
22 ESL A Peebles Rovers L 0-1
Mar 1 ESL H Murrayfield Amateurs L 2-4
8 ESL A Vale of Leithen D 3-3
15 ESL H Cameron Highlanders W 5-1
22 ESL A Cameron Highlanders L 0-1
Apr 5 ESL H Hawick United W 6-2
17 BC 1 H Coldstream W 5-2
19 F H Newcastle Bohemians W 2-0
24 BC SF H Duns W 4-1
30 BC F N Vale of Leithen W 2-1
East of Scotland League.
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Bathgate 27 13 1 1 58 14 9 3 0 30 12 48
2 Edinburgh City 30 10 4 1 44 15 9 1 5 37 18 43
3 Cameron Highlanders 28 12 0 1 49 17 7 1 7 42 44 39
4 Murrayfield Amateurs 22 9 1 2 43 14 9 0 1 32 11 37
5 Berwick Rangers 28 7 4 4 47 34 5 2 6 27 24 30
6 Peebles Rovers 28 10 0 5 37 20 4 1 8 23 37 29
7 Gala Fairydean 28 7 1 5 33 32 6 2 7 32 40 29
8 Vale of Leithen 27 7 3 3 27 24 5 1 8 25 35 28
9 Clerwood Amateurs 22 5 2 2 29 11 5 4 4 33 28 26
10 Leith Amateurs 27 6 3 4 35 16 1 4 9 17 45 21
11 Civil Service Strollers 26 4 3 7 25 37 3 3 6 13 33 20
12 Selkirk 27 5 2 7 32 36 2 3 8 15 44 19
13 Hawick United 29 5 1 9 27 35 3 0 11 28 59 17
14 Coldstream 30 6 1 8 41 44 0 3 12 21 56 16
15 Duns 28 2 2 10 30 41 3 0 11 21 54 12
16 Edinburgh University 17 3 1 3 21 22 1 1 8 16 38 10
Remaining fixtures not played.
Points Claimed:  
Bathgate claimed 2 points v Coldstream
Cameron Highlanders claimed 2 points v Vale of Leithen
Clerwood Amateurs v Edinburgh City 1 point each
Clerwood Amateurs v Leith Amateurs claimed 2 points 
Duns v Edinburgh City claimed 2 points
Edinburgh City claimed 2 points v Coldstream
Edinburgh City claimed 2 points v Duns
Leith Amateurs claimed 2 points v Coldstream
Vale of Leithen claimed 2 points v Coldstream

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

David Atkinson 26 7 2 1 1 3 1 1 1
Joseph R Blythe 28 6 2 1 3 1 1
John Borthwick 21 4 2 3 1 1 1 1
Harry Campbell 14 3 1 1 1
Robert (Bob) Dickinson 8 3 1
Frank Ewart 3 1
Joseph Gold 5 7 3 5
Johnson Graham 28 2 1 3 1 1
E Hall 4 1 1
George Hall 17 9 1
John (Ecky) Johnston 28 17 2 1 1 3 1 1 1
Jimmy Lee 28 2 1 3 1 1
George Matthews 1
Murdoch McAskill 1
John Pegg 1 1
J Renton 1
Danny Rutherford 3 1 3 3 1 1
Jackie Spence 12 1 1
William Thompson 1
Jock Trainer 23 15 2 1 1 1 1 1 1
Andew (Alla) Wilson 28 2 2 1 3 1 1
Willie Yourston 27 2 1 3 1 1
own goal 1
Number of players used: 22

A busy season lay ahead for the East of Scotland League clubs. Last season, the League was composed of 15 teams and only three were able to complete their fixtures. Clerwood Amateurs and Corstorphine Amateurs amalgamated during the close season and to further reduce the fixture list, the ESFA decided to abolish the Consolation Cup competition. However, the advantages gained by these alterations were outweighed by the entry of Bathgate, who last season played in the second division of the Scottish Football League but resigned part of the way through, and the Cameron Highlanders – making a League of 16 teams, one more than last season. Lochgelly Amateurs applied to join but, although the Edinburgh clubs were in favour, the border clubs were naturally not enthusiastic due to the distance.

On the playing front, Harry Crombie decided to hang up his boots. He was one of the best-known members of the team and his support in the defence would be sorely missed. Alongside Jackie Spence, they made the finest pair of backs in the East of Scotland League. However, the club signed Johnson Graham as his successor, a player who came with high regards. Rangers also re-signed Harry Campbell, who was with Duns last season, a centre with no mean ability and, with these two strong acquisitions, many thought a good season would lie ahead.


17. Berwick Rangers started the season with a tough match against League newcomers Bathgate. Berwick opened proceedings facing a bright sun and had Bathgate on the defensive in the early stages. However, Bathgate soon took control and opened the scoring when Findlay hit the upright with a strong shot and netted the rebound. Alex Walker nearly doubled the lead soon after but Yourston was equal to the cause. Atkinson, on several occasions, let the Rangers' forwards away with well-timed passes, but the attacking quintet were poor finishers. Berwick made the occasional foray, but the home backs were sound defenders and gave little or nothing away. Bathgate opened the second half with a superb right-wing attack, but Spence, Wilson and Atkinson defended well. Campbell came close to levelling matters when in a one-on-one with the keeper, but Greenhorn save at the expense of a corner. Bathgate again pressed. Both teams were putting in a lot of work but, as in the first half, the defences were on top. However, a bit of slackness in the home defence let Berwick level when Campbell broke through and shot for goal; his shot was blocked but Trainer ran in and blasted the loose ball home. Bathgate upped their game and put the Rangers' defence under immense pressure and not long afterwards they regained the lead. Alex Walker drove for goal; Yourston got his hands to it but could not prevent the ball from entering the net. In the closing minutes, Bathgate made sure of the points when Findlay caught Yourston's fisted out save and tapped it into the net.

24. Berwick Rangers gave a fine performance against Leith Amateurs at Meadowbank. Berwick opened with a stiff breeze at their backs and made quick progress with Borthwick and Campbell testing the home keeper. Leith were severely restricted by the strength of the breeze, but they still managed an attack or two with Thomas Robertson and Burrell prominent. However, the Amateurs were being outmatched and Rangers deservedly took the lead when a long punt by Atkinson gave Johnston the chance to beat Walker. Three minutes later, it looked as if Blythe would double the lead when he drove his shot into an empty goal, but Glass got back just in time and made a first-class clearance. Following a Leith attack, Yourston kicked a long ball downfield and, thrusting aside the defenders, Trainer added a second goal. Rangers were now on top of the game and, despite Walker make a couple of good saves, had little difficulty in going three ahead when Johnston and Trainer combined well to give Blythe the space to beat the keeper. With the breeze now in their favour, Leith started the second half in fine style. Robertson beat Yourston and only the intervention of Spence averted a score. For the first 15 minutes the Berwick goal was under constant attack but the home side's inability to score was due to their policy of keeping the ball in the air. When a goal did finally come, it was scored by a defender, Theo Robertson hitting home a twenty-yarder. Berwick were by no means discouraged by this set back and, playing a short-passing game, they reached Walker, who was made to make a spectacular save to deny Trainer. With 15 minutes remaining, and Berwick still on the attack, Leith pulled back another goal when a melee developed in front of Yourston and in the scramble Pulham scored. The Amateurs went all-out for an equaliser, but the Berwick defence held out to claim both points.

31. For the first home fixture of the season, Vale of Leithen were the visitors in a League and first round East of Scotland Qualifying Cup double header. The weather was hot and humid with rain threatening throughout the opening half. Rangers fielded an unchanged side and spectators were expecting goals after the good performance against Leith Amateurs the previous week. However, the opening half was poor to say the least with both sides missing good chances. Berwick came closest to scoring when Johnston passed across and open goal from the wing, but Campbell was unable to drive the ball into the net. After the interval, play brightened up and Rangers were forced to defend. Yourston saved well from Brunton and Dodds but was beaten a few minutes later when Vale were awarded a controversial penalty. Spence charged down a shot from Watson and the referee pointed to the spot. It was rather difficult to judge whether Spence had handled the ball and, despite protests from the Rangers' players, Watson beat Yourston with a shot into the left corner of the net. At this point, Berwick upped their game and Borthwick sent over a neat cross from the right from which Trainer equalised at close-range. Straight from the kick-off, Atkinson gained possession and with a terrific shot from the centre of the half he put Berwick into the lead. After conceding two goals in less than a minute, Vale tried their hardest to level matters, but Rangers withstood the pressure and, just before the final whistle, Johnston added to their misery with a hard shot from the wing.


7. In the opening round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup, a typical cup-tie was witnessed at Pinkhill, Edinburgh, where the current holders were somewhat lucky to qualify for the next round, without having to visit Berwick for a replay. Play throughout was fast and keen, with Rangers the likelier combination, but their forwards were a bit rash in the finishing department. From start to finish the game was played end-to-end. During the first-half Rangers had the better of exchanges, but their forwards were never allowed to get too close to McClung in goal. Against the run of play, Murrayfield opened the scoring after 25 minutes' play when Holmes, for about the first time in the match, got past the hard-working Atkinson and headed home a corner kick from Reid. Straight from the centre kick, Rangers swarmed around the Amateur' goal and in the ensuing melee Borthwick levelled matters. From this point the game hung in the balance until five minutes from time when a McDonald cross was headed past Yourston by Munro.

14. For the second successive week, Berwick Rangers suffered defeat by Murrayfield Amateurs at Pinkhill. The defeats meant no further participation in the Scottish and East of Scotland qualifying cups and the loss of two League points. Berwick opened well and forced a series of corners. Robertson missed a good chance at the other end. Rangers replied with Lee testing McClung. In the next minute, Yourston tipped a fast shot from McLauchlan over the bar and from the corner kick, Gardner put the Amateurs ahead with a shot well out of the keeper's reach. Murrayfield kept up the pressure. Robertson sent McLauchlan away and, after beating Wilson, he doubled the lead with a low shot. Berwick came more into the game but seldom troubled McClung. Blythe went close at the start of the second half and McDonald replied for the Amateurs with a fierce shot against the woodwork. Trainer and Atkinson tested McClung with Holmes likewise with Yourston. A good drive by Johnston was turned around the post by McClung for a corner and Gardner struck the crossbar with a free kick as both sides traded blows, but with the defences playing a steady game there was no further scoring and the margin which separated the sides at the close was a fair reflection of the game.

21. A strong wind together with a bright sun, spoiled the League game against Edinburgh City at Shielfield Park. The visitors won the toss and chose to play with the wind and sun at their backs and the opening exchanges were in their favour. However, the wind behind them was their undoing, as every kick they took was either skied or put wide. Rangers' play against the wind was phenomenal and augured well for the second half. The first goal came three minutes from the interval when Trainer carried the ball forward and gave Johnston no earthly chance with his close-range shot. Yourston had to stop a shot from Burns as the visitors looked for a quick reply but it was Rangers who changed ends a goal up. As expected, Berwick, with wind advantage made ground on the restart. So consistently did Rangers press that it appeared only a matter of time until the City goal went under. With 15 minutes to go, Borthwick scored Rangers' second goal, which was well overdue on play. After receiving the ball, he ran through the City defence and smashed the ball past the helpless Johnston. Immediately after, Blythe made a rather poor attempt with a penalty kick. It made for a nervy finish as City showed they still had an interest in the game when, shortly before the close, Henderson forced his way through and sent the ball past Yourston.

28. Conditions were considerably better than a week ago, when Peebles Rovers visited Shielfield Park for a League encounter. The wind, which had been such a spoiling factor, was not present with such force. For the opening quarter, Rangers were well in control. Blythe missed a glorious chance when, with only the keeper to beat, he put his shot just wide of the post. Campbell twice went close but was thwarted on both occasions by Hope. However, on the quarter-hour mark, matters changed. Heavy rain had just fallen, making the ball greasy. N. Thomson tried a long shot, and it slipped through Yourston's hands and into the net. Peebles came more into the game and doubled their lead when R. Thomson worked his way down the left and squared the ball to Turner in front of goal; he bought the ball down and Murray, who was following up, first-timed it into the net. Ten minutes from the interval, Borthwick had a chance to reduce the arrears with a good try which Hope fisted over. Better luck came Berwick's way seven minutes into the second half. Blythe, gaining possession in midfield, swung the ball out to Johnston, who latched onto the ball, cut in, and gave Hope no chance with his parting shot. Rangers pressed hard, but each time they attacked they found Hope the stumbling block. Two good opportunities came Berwick's way, but Trainer missed the first when he was knocked of balance by McNicol when about to shoot from four yards out. Campbell was the other sinner when, in an excellent position, he shot wide. Rangers were now having all the game and ought to have been, if not on top at this stage, on equal terms. Even in the closing minutes of the game chances were presented but Rangers could just not score and the match pointless.


5. Berwick Rangers collected both points after some deadly shooting in a convincing 6-1 win at Selkirk. The opening exchanges were in Berwick's favour as the scoreline would suggest. The home goal had some narrow escapes and Johnston handled some good shots. Blythe and Trainer, twice, went close before Borthwick opened the scoring with superb shot. A few minutes later, Borthwick increased the lead from close in and Campbell made it three as the home defence began to cave in. A stinging shot was launched at Johnston, who saved but failed to clear, and Campbell darted in to make it 4-0 just before half-time. The second half started on more even terms but gradually Rangers regained control, and it came as no surprise when Johnston added his name to the score sheet. In a rare Selkirk attack, they were awarded in a penalty. Forrester took and scored from the spot. The home side showed a slight improvement towards the end of the match, but the Berwick defence was impregnable, and their attacks were repeatedly stopped. Shortly before the end, Trainer atoned for his earlier slip-ups by adding a sixth to the score.

19. A crowd of 1000 turned up at Shielfield Park to watch the League clash with Duns. Rangers were quick off the mark with Hall making a fine opening for Campbell, whose shot was blocked; Johnston received the rebound and centred the ball for Campbell to hit with such force that the keeper needed attention. Atkinson was unlucky to see a shot go just over as Rangers pressed strongly and Duns, except for one or two occasions, were kept on the defensive for quite a while. However, despite their pressure Rangers could not find the net. Eventually, Duns found a way through the home defence and, after a fine run, Veir beat Yourston with a stinging shot. On this reverse, Rangers gave Cook a torrid time in goal, but again poor finishing let them down. Following another quick breakaway, Veir had the ball in the net for a second time just before the interval but the referee ruled it out for an infringement. Duns were more prominent on the restart and Yourston was called upon on several occasions to keep Rangers in the game. However, Duns went further ahead midway through the half when Murray sent over a neat corner and Anderson met it full-on with his head to beat Yourston. Berwick tried their hardest to salvage something from the game. A few minutes from the end, Wilson gained possession inside the centre circle, following a fruitless Duns attack, and ran through on his own to beat Cook from several yards out. The goal, however, was only a consolation as the game ended with Duns worthy overall winners.

26. Berwick Rangers gained a deserved away win over Hawick United a week later. There was a marked improvement in their play as Rangers opened strongly and for a while kept Regan in the home goal busy. Hawick fought back with Skevington and Small testing Yourston, who dealt confidently with all shots that came his way. The Berwick goal underwent a narrow escape when Skevington headed inches over following a corner. Straight from the goal kick Rangers headed upfield and Hall opened the scoring with a well-placed shot. A minute later, Hall added a second with a similar shot and the teams crossed over with Rangers in a comfortable position. Berwick took up the attack on the resumption and Regan was called upon frequently to clear his lines. In one of Hawick's periodic visits to the Rangers' goal, Lowe was presented with a chance. His shot, however, was brilliantly stopped by Yourston. Rangers quickly replied with Trainer making the score 3-0 with a fine strike. Hawick rallied after this setback and twice Lowe narrowly missed finding the net; however, late in the game, he made amends when he scored a consolation from the penalty spot.


2. Berwick Rangers played their tenth game of the East of Scotland League campaign when they met Gala Fairydean in a high-scoring draw at Shielfield Park. Heavy rain had fallen before the kick-off, which influenced both play and attendance. Both sides tested the keepers early on, but the shots lacked sting. The visitors took the lead after just eight minutes when Henderson sent the ball forward to Scott, who cut in and hit the ball home with Yourston making no effort to save. The home goal had a lucky escape a minute later when Walker rattled the crossbar. Within four minutes, however, Rangers were level. Blythe gained possession in midfield, but his run was blocked. The ball broke free and Hall, following up, made no mistake with his shot. An opportunity to take the lead was then missed in turn by Campbell, Trainer and Johnston as Berwick pressed. At the other end, Yourston had to scrape away a shot on the goal-line from Buckham. This was followed by an onslaught on the Rangers' goal and had it not been for the quick-thinking of Dickinson on more than one occasion they could easily have been a goal behind. However, much against the run of play, Rangers took the lead when Campbell hit home a Trainer cross from just outside the penalty box. On this reverse, Gala upped their game and Yourston had to admit defeat for a second time when Nixon shot strongly from the right; the keeper was unable to hold the ball and it rebounded for Newman to score. To make matters worse, a weak clearance by Yourston let Newman put Gala ahead just before the interval. Rangers pressed early in the second half with Blythe testing Crichton, who also saved in a one-on-one with Wilson. On the hour mark, Hall raised some excitement with a great shot which Crichton had some difficulty in saving but the keeper was beaten when Blythe took possession just outside the 18-yard box and shot on the turn to score. Straight from the restart, Scott, with a clever individual effort, gave Gala the lead again. The visitors did not retain the lead for long, however, as Wilson, almost on time, made it four goals each from within a goalmouth melee.

9. The return of David Atkinson turned out to be a godsend as Rangers carried off the points at Home Park against Coldstream. Play in the opening stages was void of any real interest. Townsley repeatedly broke up any Berwick attacks and Atkinson did likewise with Coldstream's. However, midway through the half, the home defence was caught napping and Blythe sent in a shot which Mitchell could only partially clear and Johnston rushed in to score. The homesters upped their game following this reverse and Yourston was called into action on several occasions with Bell, Kerse and Romanes all going close. Bryson then missed a sitter when Bell sent a fine cross but, somehow, he failed to connect with the goal at his mercy. After a bright start to the second half, Rangers had to resort to purely defensive tactics. Attack after attack was launched on the Berwick goal, all to no avail, with Atkinson the main stumbling block. A good clearance by Wilson eased the pressure and Rangers took full advantage of the breakaway. After beating the backs with a swift move, Hall gave Mitchell no chance with a fast shot. However, Coldstream reduced the lead when Bell and Kerse created space and the former sent an excellent pass through to Smart, who took the ball on the run and beat Yourston with a sublime shot. Coldstream fought hard for an equaliser in the remaining minutes of the game and practically every Berwick player had to resort to defence, but Rangers held on to claim both points.

16. Berwick Rangers took a point against the Civil Service Strollers in a game of two halves at Shielfield Park. The visitors played some clever football in the first half, but there was no denying Berwick's superiority in the second. Rangers were on the defensive from the start. The visitors looked lively and it came as no surprise when they look the lead with only seven minutes played when McAlpine shot home from the edge of the box. However, the ball had hardly been centred when Johnston scored from a similar position. Play for a spell was even but gradually the visitors asserted their authority and Yourston was called into action frequently. The Strollers secured a rather doubtful goal on 25 minutes. Burns cut in from the left and delivered a shot which Yourston appeared to stop on the line. The referee decided it had crossed the line and, despite protests from the Berwick players, pointed to the centre circle. Although the goal was not convincing, the visitors deserved to be in the lead at this stage. Rangers, in the closing minutes of the half, put on the pressure and Hall came close to levelling when his shot grazed the upright. Berwick opened the second half with a re-arranged forward line. Trainer took up the central position while Campbell went to outside right. Blythe taking up partnership with Johnston. They were now the attacking force and the Strollers' defence was undergoing heavy punishment. On 55 minutes, Blythe made a run but was blocked in the process; the ball broke loose, and Johnston rammed it home from 18 yards. Rangers deserved this success, and it was only bad luck that prevented them from taking the lead. Campbell flashed the ball across the goalmouth where two Rangers' player in turn missed with their heads. Another cross was narrowly missed by Johnston and Blythe missed two absolute sitters. Try as they might Rangers could not get the winning goal and the game ended with the teams sharing the points.

23. The first round King Cup match at Home Park, Coldstream, certainly came up to the expectations of the crowd despite the continuous rain. After just five minutes' play, Trainer had the ball in the net when, after accepting a Lee cross, his shot beat Mitchell, who stumbled trying to save. At the other end, Bryson hit the upright with a fierce shot following a corner. From another corner, Smart sent over a neat ball but Tocher's shot tipped the bar and went over. Coldstream drew level when Romanes flicked Smart's corner into the goalmouth where Graham jumped to clear but headed the ball past Yourston. A few minutes later, Townsley played Smart through and, after beating Lee and Atkinson, he sent in a fast shot which Graham, attempting to clear, had the misfortune to put the ball into his own net for a second time. Directly from the kick-off, Wilkinson, for some reason best known only to himself, brought the ball down with his hands in the penalty box. Atkinson took the kick but sent the ball straight into Mitchell's hands. The weather conditions had not abated when the second half kicked off and, if anything, the rain fell harder than in the first; consequently, the game suffered. Berwick played some neat football in the opening stages. Campbell sent narrowly wide before Johnston tested Mitchell with a fierce shot. Coldstream replied with Smart sending Bell through with only Yourston to beat but, somehow, he missed. Bryson was next to try but, as in the first half, his effort hit the upright. Gradually the light faded, and play became rough with several players warned of their methods which had incited the crowd. Atkinson was in fine form and repeatedly broke up the home attack. Tocher had a good try from far out and a minute later Trainer caused Mitchell to clear as the closing stages were fought out in typical cup-tie fashion. Coldstream were forced to end the game two players short, Kerse and Stewart being forced to retire through injury, but even with nine men they continued to attack and at the game's end they just about deserved to win. There had been some lively moments off the field during the game. Much of the game time had been wasted by the home players kicking the ball out of play. A spare ball was available, but when the Rangers went for it the spectators kicked it away. The linesman was twice assaulted by a spectator, who at one point had him by the throat. Towards the end, Atkinson fouled Bryson and the crowd demonstrated against the Berwick player, who left the field at full time under the escort of two policemen.

30. Berwick Rangers visited Marine Gardens, Portobello, for their return League fixture against Edinburgh City. Spence, who was replaced by E. Hill, was the only casualty in an otherwise unchanged side. City were keen to avenge the defeat sustained at Shielfield Park earlier in the season but were a goal down after only five minutes when Trainer picked up a neat pass from Blythe before beating the keeper. However, City began to press and only good defensive work by Atkinson and Yourston kept them out. A fine shot by Strachan was tipped over the bar by Yourston but otherwise reckless shooting spoiled many scoring chances. It was a poor clearance by Yourston that let City draw level when he played the ball straight to McNabola who shot into an empty net. With a little luck, Hill might have put City into the lead just before half-time, but his shot rebounded off an upright with Yourston beaten. The teams turned around without leaving the field and in the first minute Hill was brought down when making for goal. A penalty was awarded from which Hill put City ahead with a fast, low shot. The home side kept up the pressure and, from a well-timed Campbell cross, Strachan added a third goal. City eased off and Rangers came more into the game, but they found the home defence was not giving much away. A good effort by Blythe was cleverly blocked by P. Gorman before City upped their attack in the closing stages with McNabola causing the Berwick defence no end of trouble. City fully deserved their win as, overall, Berwick were second best in every department.


7. Berwick Rangers had to reshuffle their defence for the match against Duns at Hawthorn Park. Spence was still out injured but Borthwick reported fit after an absence of nearly ten weeks. Wilson stepped in Spence's position whilst Borthwick played at right half. The game swung from end to end in the opening stages. Trainer was twice nearly through but stopped by Foreman on both occasions when he looked a certainty to score. Duns replied with Veir and Cowe forcing Yourston into action. Duns had the ball in the net when A. Murray beat Yourston, but the goal was chalked off for offside against Veir. A few minutes later, Duns had a strong claim for a penalty waved aside by the referee. Rangers then hit Duns with the sucker punch when, against the run of play, Campbell's cross from the right found Trainer in an excellent position from which he gave Berwick the lead just before the interval. The half-time reflections were that Rangers were lucky to be a goal ahead. Duns had had more of the play, but it was the same old story of poor finishing. Even in the second half, Duns had enough of the ball to warrant a goal, but they could not get the ball past Yourston. Rangers, on the other hand, found scoring easy. Five minutes from the restart, Hall beat Vallance to the ball and ran on goal to score. Shortly after, Heatlie allowed Trainer to kick the ball out of his hands and it landed in the empty net. Just before time Johnston made it four when he scored the goal of the match.

14. With an unchanged side, Berwick Rangers defeated Clerwood Amateurs by the odd goal in seven at Shielfield Park. Rangers played well against the wind and deserved to win on their first half performance alone. After a spell of early pressure, Rangers were on the backfoot as the visitors took control. Following a corner, Stirling put the Amateurs in front with a fine shot into the far corner of the net. Yourston was called upon on several occasions as the visitors kept up a sustained attack. Following a quick breakaway, Trainer carried the ball into Clerwood's half and swung the ball over to Johnston who flashed the ball across the goalmouth with Cranston outstretched on the ground. Another attack on the visitors' goal brought success. Cranston fisted out a shot from Trainer and Blythe, following up, met the ball with full-force and blasted it home off the underside of the crossbar. Soon afterwards, the visitors regained the lead somewhat luckily. Napier shot strongly from just before the centre line and the ball, carried by the wind, looped over Yourston and landed in the back of the net. No one was more surprised at the feat than the player himself. However, within a minute, Johnston brought the teams level again. He got the better of Napier, carried the ball forward and, after cutting in, shot past the outstretched keeper into the far corner of the net. Just before the interval, Trainer was brought down going through on goal. A penalty was awarded, and Blythe stepped up to give Berwick a deserved half-time lead. With the wind now in their favour, Rangers attacked strongly on the restart. Campbell missed a glorious chance to put Rangers further ahead with Trainer doing likewise a few minutes later. Berwick were now well on top and shots from Johnston, Blythe and Atkinson tested Cranston. However, against the run of play, Stirling got the better of Wilson and sent the ball across the goalmouth where Gardner, running in, hit the ball into the net. The score did not remain level for long as Hall soon forced his way to the other end and gave Cranston no chance with his parting shot. Cranston did well to stop a shot from Johnston minutes later and must have heaved a sigh of relief when a great drive from Hall went flashing past the post as Rangers had to settle for a narrow win.

21. Edinburgh University played Berwick Rangers instead of Hawick United, who called off their League fixture due to travelling difficulties. The Berwick team remained unchanged and secured an easy victory over their somewhat weaker opponents, who fielded a scratch side as several their regular players were on holiday. Rangers kicked off in a whirlwind fashion and within ten minutes they were a goal ahead. Johnston forced a corner on the left and, taking the kick himself, he sent over a perfect ball for Atkinson to head home with ease. A few minutes later Rangers were two up following a fine bit of opportunism by Trainer. Ferguson miskicked and Trainer, taking advantage, ran forward and put past Gordon. Despite the goals, play had been quite scrappy. The visitors had seldom been near Yourston until Thomson was pulled down by Graham in the penalty area; taking the shot himself, he made a bad job of it and sent the ball wide. Following this, Gordon was a busy man and had to deal repeatedly with shots from Atkinson and Campbell. Hall went closest to scoring just before half-time, but Clark nipped in just in time to stop his shot as it sped goalward. For a short time after the interval the standard of football improved. The visitors ought to have reduced the leeway when Bain was presented with a fine opportunity in front of goal; however, he hit the ball wildly past the post when only a simple tap was required. Rangers took the game to the other end and, following a scrimmage in front of the goal, Johnston, who was unmarked, added a third to the tally with the keeper on the ground at the far post. Trainer missed a sitter before the Students pulled a goal back through Russell. Rangers returned to the attack and Johnston scored in almost the same situation as before with the keeper out of position at the far post. Johnston got a third goal not long afterwards when Gordon missed in attempting to save from Campbell and he followed up to tap the ball home. Fifteen minutes from the end, Johnston got through to score his fourth and Berwick's sixth and a minute or two later he paved the way for Trainer to add a seventh. Before the final whistle, Ritchie scored a great goal from well outside the penalty area for the visitors, while Bain gave them a third from the penalty spot almost on time.

25. There were goals galore in the League match against neighbours Coldstream at Shielfield Park on Christmas Day. Despite a bright opening by Berwick, it was left to the visitors to open the scoring. A loose ball fell kindly to Bryson in the penalty area and his soft effort beat Yourston, who had ventured out of his goal to intercept the shot. The reverse shook the Rangers into action and within four minutes they were level when Hall gave Mitchell no chance with a close-range shot. Immediately after, the ever-alert Hall put Rangers ahead after Trainer and Blythe combined well to create the opening. Ewart then played Trainer through on goal but the centre unluckily hit the post with the keeper beaten. The first 20 minutes had been played with pace from both sides with Berwick having marginally have the better of matters. However, a free kick against Borthwick paved the way for a second Coldstream goal. A corner was conceded from the kick and Bell floated over a perfect cross to Orr who was well placed to beat Yourston. Rangers upped their attack and within eight minutes they were back in the lead when Atkinson headed home a well-placed corner by Johnston. Up to the interval Rangers attacked relentlessly and the Coldstream goal had a few narrow escapes. Atkinson went close at the start of the second half as Berwick continued to attack with force. Trainer increased the lead further when he fastened onto a Lee centre and sent the ball past the helpless Mitchell. Coldstream had been out of the picture until the 70th minute when Bryson reduced the deficit. He received possession in what seemed an offside position before running in on goal and beating the advancing Yourston. Rangers then overran their opponents and Mitchell was kept busy in goal. The keeper did well to stop shots from Atkinson and Hall, but ten minutes before the end a nicely placed corner by Borthwick was headed home by Atkinson. Soon afterwards, Hall drove against the post before Ewart got a sixth for Berwick from another Borthwick corner four minutes from the end.

28. In the last match of 1929, Berwick Rangers hosted Selkirk at Shielfield Park where the visitors were lucky to force a draw. In the first minute of the game, Hall should have given Rangers the lead, but he put the ball just wide of the post when well placed in front of goal. Johnston gave Wright a troublesome shot to deal with, while at the other end Atkinson got in the way of a free kick taken by T. Johnston from just outside the penalty area. The same player got the rebound and shot inches over the bar. Yourston was the more often in action, but the shots that came his way were easily dealt with. However, on the half-hour mark, Selkirk got a somewhat lucky goal. Following a corner kick, J. Douglas caught the clearance and hit the ball goalward. The shot was weakly hit but Yourston failed to connect properly with his fist and the ball went in over his head. Following this reverse, Rangers made straight for Wright, the keeper having to turn a great drive by Johnston round the post for a corner. Three minutes before the interval, Wright was again called into action to fist out a perfectly taken corner by Johnston. Rangers forced a series of corners early in the second half, but the visitors held out. Ewart tested Wright with a fast, low shot as Rangers continued to press. On 68 minutes, Trainer went through on his own and secured the equaliser. It was a well-taken goal long overdue. Berwick might have taken the lead a minute or so later, but Hall again was at fault. Nicely placed in front of goal, he shot over the bar when all he had to do was touch the ball with his head. Trainer and Blythe went close for Berwick as both teams tried hard for the winner, with Rangers coming nearer the mark. On one occasion, Trainer was on his way through when he was pulled down just outside the penalty box. Atkinson took the kick but sent over. With almost the last kick of the game Johnston, following another free kick taken by Atkinson, grazed the crossbar with his shot.


4. Both teams were below full strength for the League match played at Stenhousemills. Berwick played Renton in place of Borthwick and Ewart instead of Campbell at outside right. The Strollers, on the other hand, took to the field with only ten men. Outterson was playing in an amateur trial and his replacement had failed to turn up. Despite playing with a player less, the Strollers kicked off in attacking style. Bonar and McAlpine combined well down the right and from a cross McLauchlan opened the scoring. A few minutes later, McLauchlan doubled their lead when he latched onto a McCondachie through ball and beat Yourston with fast drive. Shortly after he nearly added a third, but his shot was stopped on the goal line by Yourston. Rangers came more into the game as the half wore on, but they were playing too much close football and many good openings were being wasted. The Strollers opened the second half with equal numbers when Wilkie took to the field at right half, with Miller moving to right back. Berwick at once set about wiping off the arrears, forcing the home side to defend en masse. Blythe scored in a goalmouth melee before Johnston added an equaliser with a glorious shot that swerved away from the keeper on its way into the net. Now on level terms, both teams went all out for the lead with end-to-end play. Burns just missed by inches as the Strollers attacked. Rangers replied with Trainer giving them the lead when he converted a cross from the right. The Strollers were not downhearted by the reverse. McConachie and Burns carried the ball upfield where the latter crossed neatly and McAlpine put them back on level terms. The remaining minutes were stubbornly fought by both sides with neither being able to find the winning goal. Rangers thoroughly deserved a point at the end but, with a little luck, especially in the second half, they might have brought home both.

11. When victory over Leith Amateurs seemed within their grasp the Rangers defence literary fell to pieces, and it was only after a fight that they managed to take a point. Snow had fallen prior to the kick-off and Shielfield Park was covered with a thin coating, but a few energetic officials had cleared the lines and it was game on. The first half was even with neither goalkeeper seriously troubled. Just before the interval two corners fell to the visitors and from the second McKay put weakly past when well placed in front of goal. Level pegging was a fair reflection of the game at half-time, but on the restart, Rangers upped their game. Johnston forced a corner on the left and from his kick Atkinson's header was assisted into the net by the keeper. A spirited attack by the Amateurs followed but got no further than Spence and Graham. Rangers countered and Dixon must have felt relieved when a superb drive by Blythe went inches over. Berwick kept up the pressure and Atkinson grazed the crossbar with a fine shot. The visitors' goal almost fell a second time when Dixon failed to hold a shot from Johnston, with only the intervention of Edgar preventing the ball crossing the line. It underwent another narrow escape a few minutes later when Cossar almost carried a Borthwick cross into his own goal. However, on 70 minutes, Rangers got the second goal their play deserved. Atkinson shot from just outside the 18-yard box and the ball sailed in over Dixon's head. The keeper fully expected the ball to clear the crossbar and made absolutely no attempt to save. With their two-goal lead Rangers appeared to take matters too easily. So far, the visitors had only troubled Yourston on three occasions, but on the fourth Sullivan ran into the penalty area with Spence and Graham hot on his heels; Spence pulled him down and a penalty was awarded. Valery took the kick and Berwick's lead was quickly reduced by one. A few minutes later, slack play by Spence and Graham allowed Sullivan through on goal and, with only the advancing Yourston to beat, he levelled the score. Rangers tried hard to find the winning goal in the closing stages, but the Leith defence stood firm and the points were shared.

25. Berwick Rangers were rather unfortunate to return from Galashiels pointless after a game of two contrasting halves. Gala pressed following the kick-off, but it was Berwick who opened the scoring after only five minutes' play. Borthwick paved the way when he won possession before crossing for Trainer to score. This early success inspired the Rangers, and they were unlucky not to go further ahead when Johnston got away nicely but his cross into the goalmouth was put inches wide by Borthwick. Gala returned to the attack and Atkinson unfortunately conceded a penalty when the ball hit his hand. Robertson was entrusted with the kick and brought the score level. Berwick got a fright at the start of the second half when Nixon broke away and Green put the ball into the net. Luckily for the Rangers the goal was disallowed. Marr narrowly missed but later got the better of Yourston with a fine shot to put the Fairies into lead. The home forwards were now in rampant form at this stage and Berwick were forced to defend in numbers. However, Nixon got the better of the Rangers' defence and after Green had missed a chance Marr, who was lying handy, put the Fairydean further ahead. In the closing stages, Gala had the Rangers well beaten and before the finish ought to have scored more goals. Rangers might have been the better side in the first half, but Gala were by far the better in the second.


15. More than the usual interest was taken in the meeting between Berwick Rangers and Bathgate, the current East of Scotland League leaders at Shielfield Park. Despite the cold weather, the match provided one of the largest attendances since the season opened. Bathgate were given a golden opportunity in the first minute when E. Hall miskicked in front of goal and McAllister tested Yourston with a hard drive. The opening goal was not long in coming, but it was Berwick not Bathgate who scored it. Five minutes had scarcely gone when Blythe carried the ball into the goalmouth. In forcing his way through, the ball broke to G. Hall, who shot over the keeper's head into the net. Greenhorn appeared to be somewhat deceived by Hall's shot and made no effort to save. This success was followed by a prolonged attack on the Berwick goal during which it underwent a few narrow escapes. So heavy was the pressure at this stage that a goal was bound to come – and it did. An open defence provided the opportunity. Somerville, lying unmarked, caught a loose ball, which had ricocheted of Frew, and he banged it home and, to make matters worse for Berwick, Bathgate took the lead three minutes later through Finlay. Rangers had seldom been in the picture but, just before the interval, they had a purple patch with Blythe, twice, and Johnston testing Greenhorn. Another miskick from Hall at the start of the second half allowed Somerville a chance on goal but his parting shot went wide. However, it was a miskick by his defensive partner, Graham, that allowed McAllister to gain possession near goal and his shot beat Yourston to put Bathgate two goals clear with 54 minutes played. A misunderstanding in the home defence presented Somerville with another chance, but luckily the danger was cleared. On the hour mark, Rangers came more into the game and Greenhorn made some clever saves, especially from Borthwick and G. Hall. Try as they might, Berwick could not break through and tempers both on and off the pitch began to fray. Several players came close to blows following an incident in which G. Hall and Jamieson were the principles. Several spectators ran onto the field and play was temporarily stopped. When play resumed Rangers again took up the attack, but their efforts were met with the same result as before.

22. Determined to build an eleven worthy of the town for next season, the officials of Berwick Rangers Football Club decided to experiment with the team by introducing new players from now until the end of the season. Each week a new and young player would have the opportunity of showing his worth, with a view to taking up a permanent in the team next season. Although not a new player, Robert Dickinson, who made two appearances earlier in the season, was the first player chosen and travelled with the team to Peebles. Rangers gave a poor display, losing the points through the inability of their forwards to take the chances presented to them. During the first half, many openings came their way, but they could not take advantage. The defence came out of the game with credit and it was rather unfortunate that Yourston had to admit defeat in the closing stages after having played with confidence throughout. Atkinson made a good clearance to keep the home side out in the opening minute and at the other end McNicol headed clear from a brisk Berwick raid. The first good try of the match came from Lee, who got in a fast shot which Hope saved smartly. A spell of Peebles pressure followed, but the Berwick defence was more than equal to the occasion. Peebles did the bulk of the pressing, but any chances were missed by feckless finishing. Just before half-time, a well-placed corner by Borthwick threatened danger on the home goal, but Blythe's well-directed header was cleared from under the crossbar by Hope. Rovers started the second half strongly and Graham was lucky to be on the spot to clear a good shot by Sterricks. A strong Peebles attack late in the game brought the winning goal when Yourston could only divert an oblique shot from Robertson and Fraser was on hand to score from close range.


1. A dense fog, thickening as the game progressed, marred the game against Murrayfield Amateurs at Shielfield Park. The weather just before the kick-off was ideal and the attendance was boosted by a March Hiring crowd. From the kick-off, Rangers were early on the attack and their forwards caused McClung some uneasiness. The first goal of the afternoon came in favour of the home team when Gilbert had the misfortune to divert a long shot by Hall into his own goal. After this initial setback, Murrayfield settled down and were not long in equalising when Holmes score with a superb long-range shot. Both sides had chances to take the lead as the game swung from end to end. Rangers made a quick breakaway and a neat pass from Hall to Borthwick ended in a perfect centre, which Gold snapped up and surprised all by scoring with a shot which was as decisive as it was sudden, and left McClung helpless. Murrayfield had the bulk of the play in the second half and soon equalised through Holmes, who took a nice touch from McDonald. Munro went close to giving the visitors the lead from a free kick awarded against Atkinson for a foul. The lead was eventually taken by Murrayfield when Holmes notched his hat trick goal, and it was increased two minutes later by Robertson. At the close of the game the fog was so thick that the spectators on either side of the field could not see each other. The introduction of Joseph Gold, under the club's new policy, was well justified. Although of slight build, he was a player who could shoot with either foot. Previously a prominent member of the Berwick Rovers team, he proved to be an acquisition which the Rangers would do ill to lose.

8. Berwick Rangers were a trifle lucky to take a point against Vale of Leithen at Innerleithen as, in the closing stages, their goal was under severe pressure. Rangers were fortunate not to concede an early goal when a tricky pass from Turner allowed Patterson to get in a shot which travelled just wide of the post with Yourston well beaten. Watson and Pearce tested Yourston as the home side kept up the attack. Vale's pressure reaped reward when W. Clarke, from the halfway line, punted a nice ball to Patterson and his shrewd pass enabled Turner to open the scoring. Rangers got their first shot on goal when a miskick by Gill gave Johnston the opportunity. For a considerable time after, play was in the Berwick half, but Yourston made several good saves to keep the Vale out. However, the keeper was beaten for a second time when Turner was played onside when the ball hit a defender and he walked the ball into the net. Rangers upped their game at the start of the second half and within two minutes Gold pulled a goal back. On 50 minutes, Borthwick hit home the equaliser from a well-taken free kick. Berwick were now in rampant form down the right and in another raid Borthwick centred neatly for Gold to put the Rangers into the lead from close range. Turner had a great chance to pull Vale level but shot harmlessly with the goal at his mercy; however, he made amends later when he hit home a Watson centre. Vale pressed hard for the winning goal in the final minutes but, luckily for Berwick, there was no further scoring.

15. Berwick Rangers hit five past the Cameron Highlanders in a disappointing match at Shielfield Park. For practically eighty of the ninety minutes, the home side was the attacking force. The Camerons failed to live up to their position in the League table. However, their poor display might have been due to the fact they were without four of their regular players. Five minutes from the start, Johnston put Rangers ahead after cutting in from the left and unleashing a rising shot into the top of the net. The lead was almost lost immediately when Wilson missed the ball completely in front of goal and the danger was quickly cleared. Berwick took a grip on matters after this and Gold went close before Rutherford paved the way for Johnston to double the lead. The Camerons were struggling at this stage with a noticeable weakness in defence. Realising this, Rangers continued to harass and Borthwick gave Keenan an anxious time with a close-range shot. Gold went close again when from just outside the penalty box, he struck the crossbar with a tremendous shot. Another effort by Gold a few minutes later brought success when, after accepting a cross from Rutherford, he swept the ball home past Keenan. Rangers were having matters all their own way and Johnston soon added a fourth with his own hat trick goal. Gold rattled the crossbar again and Johnston was on hand to knock home the rebound. After the interval, the Cameron's play showed an improvement. However, after a few minutes' play Rangers once again dominated matters. With plenty of dash about their forward play, Rangers gave Keenan a busy time, the keeper repeatedly making saves from Borthwick and Gold. Nine minutes from time, Rutherford missed an open goal when, a few yards out, he fell on the point of shooting. Slackness on the part of the home defence then allowed Lockie to notch the Cameron's only goal. Before the final whistle, however, Rutherford, with a well-taken goal, widened the margin.

22. With the same team that defeated the Cameron Highlanders 5-1 the previous week, Rangers travelled to Redford Barracks for the return League fixture minus their shooting boots. Berwick open brightly with Gold making a fine move. With a fine cut-through he sent in a shot which Sutherland did well to charge down. The Camerons, however, were not being outplayed. They adopted the offensive and attacked vigorously. Wakenshaw covered some valuable ground before forcing Yourston into making a fine save. In return, Rangers forced their way downfield and twice Blythe had shots cleared by Bristow. The Berwick goal then underwent a spell of severe pressure. Stevenson made his way down the left and Watson snapped up his cross to beat Yourston. Rangers tried hard to equalise, but the interval cut short their efforts. Rangers started the second half as they had left the first and Blythe engineered several attacking moves. However, the home keeper was in fine form and cleared every chance, especially a great drive from Gold. The Soldiers were now being overrun and but for the fine defence offered by Sutherland and McKay they would have been well in arrears. Berwick, as usual, were rather unlucky in front of goal and no matter how hard they tried they could not notch the equaliser. Gold missed a golden opportunity to beat the home keeper and to the close of the game Berwick struggled valiantly to score but they could not catch Bristow napping.


5. Berwick Rangers registered a good win over Hawick United in their final East of Scotland League match of the season. Hawick were outclassed in all departments and only came into the game in the final ten minutes when they scored twice. The visitors travelled a man short and Patterson of Berwick made up their number. After Gold had hit the upright in the opening minute, the game became uneventful until the quarter-hour mark when the same player went through to have another try. His shot, however, was well off the mark. Atkinson opened the scoring following a corner with a shot from just outside the penalty box. Two minutes later, Blythe put Berwick further ahead when he secured possession and beat Stewart in much the same fashion as Atkinson. Rangers kept up the pressure, with Mitchie and Smith having a trying time in checking the restless Gold, but four minutes after the second goal he scored Berwick's third. So far, Hawick had not been in the picture and Thompson in the home goal had little to do. Rangers continued to dominate and, had all the shots that went Stewart's way found the net, they would have had a commanding lead. A fourth goal came Berwick's way not long before the interval when Stewart fisted out Blythe's powerful shot and Gold, meeting the rebound, blasted the ball home. Hawick pressed at the start of the second half. Rangers made a brief sortie to the Hawick end before the visitors returned to the attack. Drummond manoeuvred into a nice position and his parting shot grazed the crossbar. However, Rangers regained control and a fifth goal was scored by Atkinson. On 75 minutes, Gold completed his hat trick when he accepted a cross from the left before running through to beat Stewart with a powerful shot. Slackness on the part of the Rangers then allowed the visitors to pull back two goals. Sinclair gained possession well outside the penalty area and shot hard into goal with Thompson somewhat deceived by the flight of the ball. The second goal came a few minutes later when Baptie scored with a well-taken free kick. That was the visitors' last chance, however, as the remaining minutes were entirely confined to the Hawick end.

17. Berwick Rangers thoroughly deserved their Border Cup win over Coldstream and the three-goal margin did not at all flatter them. From start to finish they were the go-ahead side, with the forwards every ready to snap up any opportunity. With the assistance of the wind, Rangers were quickly on the attack, but the forwards forgot about the wind and the final ball was usually well wide of the mark. Despite the troublesome wind, both teams played attractive football. Coldstream, however, were first to find the target when Hume crossed neatly for Bryson to head home. Rangers were unlucky a few minutes later when Gold lobbed the ball over from almost directly under the bar. Both teams had chances to score as the game progressed, but the next goal came Berwick's way. Play had been focused on the visitors' goal for a while when Borthwick slipped the ball through to Gold, who readily accepted and crashed it home. Heartened by this success, Rangers kept up the pressure and when Borthwick picked up loose ball he drove hard into the net to give Berwick the lead on 25 minutes. Coldstream were finding it difficult to clear the frequent Berwick attacks, with Blythe sending some neat crosses to Johnston, who always found the wrong side of the net. However, a few minutes from the interval, Rutherford sent the ball across the goalmouth and Gold deflected it into the net. Mitchell was kept under pressure early in the second half as Borthwick and Gold both went close. Rutherford would have scored had the wind, now in Coldstream's favour, not changed the ball's direction at the last moment. On the hour-mark, Coldstream scored, much against the run of play, when Bryson forced his way through the home defence. Rangers replied quickly when Rutherford scored the best goal of the match with a shot from a difficult angle. Not long after, Gold scored from the penalty spot after his initial shot was handled in the area. Rangers now had all the play and Yourston was seldom troubled, unlike Mitchell, whose fine goalkeeping prevented any further scoring.

19. In an Easter weekend friendly against Newcastle Bohemians, Rangers won 2-0 in a lacklustre affair. Berwick certainly had the best of play but neither team seemed to give it their all. The Bohemians made an early call on Yourston, who was alert to danger and cleared. The visitors' spell of pressure did not last long, and Rangers soon put them on the backfoot. Johnston twice went close before play returned to the other end and the home goal had a few narrow escapes with Wilson in one attack clearing on the goal line when all seemed lost. Rangers replied with Atkinson driving in a hard shot which Best fisted clear, and Johnston, meeting the rebound, sent the ball inches past the post. Try as they might, the Rangers could not find a way past the Bohemians' keeper. However, on 35 minutes they succeeded. Blythe struck the upright with a fierce shot and Trainer, meeting the rebound, hit the ball home. Atkinson then tested Best with a hard drive which the keeper did well to turn past for a corner. At the start of the second half, Rangers were soon to the fore and Best had an anxious time between the posts. Berwick should have gone further ahead when Johnston sent over a nice cross, but Blythe, who took possession in front of goal, made rather a mess of things, shooting wildly over when all he had to do was touch the ball home. Borthwick then missed a penalty after Trainer had been unceremoniously brought down when through on goal. Play for a while ranged from end-to-end before Rutherford secured a second, and long overdue, goal when he met Johnston's cross with his head. The visitors tried hard to reduce the leeway in the closing stages, but they found Wilson and Graham resolute and their attacks fizzled without Yourston being called upon.

24. Berwick Rangers reached the final of the Border Cup after beating Duns 4-1 in a Thursday evening match. Shielfield Park was enshrouded in a thin veil of mist when the game kicked off, but by the finish only the dim outlines of the players could be seen against the backdrop of dense fog. Rangers set the pace at the outset and tested the Duns goal twice in the opening minutes. Rutherford lobbed the ball straight into the keeper's hands when well-placed and shortly afterwards Borthwick shot inches over the bar. In subsequent play, Foreman and Vallance kept the Rangers at bay, but a misunderstanding just outside the penalty area, after 15 minutes, allowed Gold to gain possession and he drove the ball past Thompson into the net. Duns upped their game after this reverse and the home defence was twice let off the hook. Wilson miskicked in front of goal and but for the timely clearance by Graham, Cowe might have got the better of Yourston. Yourston then fumbled a tame shot from Stevenson, which allowed Cowe through. However, just past the half-hour mark, Murray levelled for Duns after Weightman and Veir had created the opening. Veir went close to giving Duns the lead shortly afterwards, but at half-time the teams were still level at a goal apiece. For the first 15 minutes of the second half, Rangers held the upper hand. Blythe went close after Gold had slipped the ball forward, but it was travelling too fast for him and the best he could do was force a corner. However, a shot from Atkinson from well outside the penalty area got the better of Thompson, who clearly misjudged the fight of the ball and it flew into the net over his outstretched hands. Borthwick nearly brought a third goal, Blythe meeting the ball with his head and sending it close past the upright. After play had swung from end-to-end, and corners had been awarded to both teams, Rutherford put Rangers further ahead when he cut in and drove the ball past Thompson into the far corner of the net. During a short spell of Duns pressure, Stevenson tried to reduce the leeway with a shot which went narrowly over the bar, but a few minutes from the end Gold added another Berwick goal following a fine Rutherford cross.

30. Berwick Rangers met Vale of Leithen in the final of the Border Cup at Raid Stane Park, Galashiels on Wednesday April 30th. Vale pressed from the start and Pearce tested Yourston on two occasions. Rangers were then disadvantaged by an early injury to Gold, who took little part in the rest of the game. Borthwick shot narrowly wide with Robson beaten as Berwick made a rare attack. Play was quickly transferred to the other end and Dodds forced Yourston into conceding a corner. Watson took the kick, and the ball was cleared, but only as far as Turner, who scored with a powerful shot through a ruck of players. Rangers, stung by this reverse, retaliated. Borthwick beat two men before passing to Blythe; he in turn gave it to Johnston and his centre was headed home by Rutherford. Just before the interval, Dodds burst through and from his parting shot Yourston made a brilliant save. The second half started as did the first, with Vale on the attack, and Yourston made a superb save to deny Turner. However, against the run of play, Borthwick split the Vale defence wide open and paved the way for Johnston to give Rangers the lead. A minute later, Rutherford had a golden opportunity to put Berwick further ahead, but he completely missed the ball from just a yard out. Vale pressed desperately, but the Berwick defence withstood the heavy onslaught with Wilson, Graham and Atkinson breaking up the attacks in style, with Yourston a reliable man behind. In the closing minutes, Vale forced three corners which were all cleared, but not without danger, and, just before time, Yourston made a tremendous save to deny Wells as Berwick held on to lift the Border Cup.

By their win over Vale of Leithen in the Border Cup Final, Berwick Rangers ended what cannot be termed a successful season. Since the New Year, their play had deteriorated considerably, but the practice of giving young players a trial brought some success with Gold, Rutherford and Dickson proving their worth. Although they only managed to win one cup, Rangers had done well in the East of Scotland League, finishing in fourth position. They were unfortunate in the other cups as they almost always faced strong opposition away from home.