1935/36: Cup Scratch


Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Aug 3 F H Spittal COB W 2-0
10 ESL H Peebles Rovers L 1-3 13
17 ESL A Murrayfield Amateurs W 3-0 5
24 ESL H Coldstream W 5-0 4
31 EQC 1 H Leith Amateurs W 2-1
Sep 7 ESL A Jed Artisans D 1-1 3
14 ESL H Dunfermline Athletic A D 1-1 2
21 SQCS 2 H Selkirk W 1-0
28 EQC 2 A Duns L 0-4
Oct 5 SQCS 3 H Peebles Rovers L 1-2
19 ESL H Vale of Leithen W 6-2 4
26 BC 2 A Duns D 1-1
Nov 2 BC 2R H Duns L 1-4
9 ESL A Penicuik Athletic D 3-3 6
16 ESL H Peebles YMCA W 3-1 6
23 ESL A Vale of Leithen L 2-3 6
30 ESL A Duns W 2-0 6
Dec 21 ESL H Chirnside United L 0-1 6
25 F H Dunfermline Athletic L 0-5
28 ESL A Selkirk L 1-4 6
Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Jan 4 ESL H Duns D 1-1 3
11 ESL A Peebles YMCA L 0-4 6
18 ESL H Selkirk W 2-0 6
25 SC 1 A Celtic s-w
Feb 1 ESL H Penicuik Athletic L 1-2 6
8 KC 1 A Penicuik Athletic L 0-5
22 ESL A Coldstream L 0-5 6
29 ESL A Peebles Rovers L 1-7 6
Mar 7 ESL H Jed Artisans D 3-3 6
21 ESL HA Gala Fairydean 1-1 6
28 F H Celtic A L 3-6
Apr 4 ESL A Dunfermline Athletic A L 3-4 7
May 7 BSCC SF H Chirnside United W 1-0
13 BSCC F N Coldstream L 0-3
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Peebles Rovers 26 11 1 1 59 12 8 3 2 33 22 42
2 Penicuick Athletic 26 10 2 1 43 12 9 0 4 28 15 40
3 Dunfermline Athletic A 24 8 1 2 49 19 6 3 4 27 16 32
4 Duns 21 6 1 2 28 10 5 4 3 23 17 27
5 Chirnside United 20 7 2 0 38 15 3 3 5 19 25 25
6 Vale of Leithen 22 7 3 3 29 21 4 0 5 22 23 25
7 Murrayfield Amateurs 19 6 0 4 18 15 3 1 5 15 17 19
8 Berwick Rangers 22 4 4 3 24 15 2 3 6 17 32 19
9 Coldstream 25 5 1 6 26 24 3 2 8 17 36 19
10 Gala Fairydean 23 4 4 4 28 25 0 3 8 10 32 15
11 Leith Amateurs 19 4 1 5 17 24 3 0 6 15 36 15
12 Selkirk 22 6 2 3 28 19 0 0 11 8 52 14
13 Peebles YMCA 24 4 1 7 28 38 1 1 10 21 53 12
14 Jed Artisans 21 3 2 6 16 25 0 2 8 19 55 10
Peebles Rovers awarded 2 pts v Murrayfield Amateurs.
Penicuik Athletic awarded 2 pts v Coldstream.
Remaining matches not played.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

William Allan 4 1 1
Jared Allison 1 1
Abe Anderson 2 2 1
James Blythe 1
Joe R Blythe 16 2 2 1 2 2 3
William Buckley 4 2
Peter Burke 1
Robert (Bob) Cromarty 17 1 1 1 2 1 1 2
Richard Demee 1 1
Alex (Sandy) Dixon 1 1 1 1
David Dumble 1 1
Robert Dundas 1
Jimmy Gilchrist 4 2 1
Robert Henderson 1 1
George Hope 19 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 2
John Hope 9 3 1 1
William Hope 19 1 2 1 2 2 2 3
George Hush 3 4 1
Robert (Bob) Jefferson 10 6 2 1 2 1
Thomas Jefferson 1
Tommy Johnstone 3 1
Peter Kerr 1
Robert (Bob) King 1 2
David Knox 3 3
Edwin Longbone 3 1
Murdoch McAskill 6 2 1 2 1 1 1 1
Allan Middlemass 2 1 1 1
Douglas Patterson 3 2
George Patterson 4
James Pearson 2
John Pegg 1
Harry Roughead 1 1
Robert Rule 2 1 1
William Rule 20 1 1 2 2 3
Robert Scott 1
George Short 2
Rupert Short 1
William Short 2
John Sinclair 4 2 2
Andrew Stark 3
Jack Tait 3 2 1
George Thomson 1 2 1
Charles Urquhart 4 1 2 1
Robert Walker 4 7 2 1
Henry Warner 1
Willie Watson 18 4 1 2 2 1 3 2
Alex Watt 1 1
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 21 2 1 2 2 2
Willie Yourston 14 2 1 2 2 2
own goal 1
Number of players used: 49


3. Berwick Rangers held a trial match at Shielfield Park on August 3rd against Spittal Council Old Boys, who were winners of the 1935 Berwick Infirmary Cup. Play was scrappy with little enthusiasm shown. Rangers won 2-0 with one in the first half and one in the second, both scored by King.

10. The opening game in the East of Scotland League against Peebles Rovers at Shielfield Park was spoiled by a troublesome wind, which blew strongly downfield. Peebles played downhill with the wind in their favour in the first half. The visitors came close to scoring in the 13th minute when a wind-assisted cross by Sterricks hit the woodwork before sailing over. Rangers had another stroke of luck a few minutes later when Haywood hit a fast shot into the goalmouth; the ball struck the upright and rebounded into Yourston's arms. However, Yourston was finally beaten on the half-hour mark when Haywood headed a Robertson corner into the roof of the net. It was the first of three quick goals. Within a minute, Sterricks scored the second with a deceptive shot from the wing. Haywood scored the third when he broke through on goal and he made no mistake with only Yourston to beat. Turnbull in the Peebles goal received his first call to action two minutes from the interval when Watson and McAskill nearly got through. With the wind now in their favour, Rangers were no long in forcing the pace in the second half. They pressed consistently but the forwards could not find the net. It was left to a half back to open Berwick's account when Cromarty sent in a 40-yarder which beat Turnbull all the way. McAskill sent in a shot which should have counted with Turnbull out of position, but Nicholson was on the goal-line and kicked it out. Rangers were later awarded a penalty for hands. McAskill was entrusted with the kick, but shot straight at Turnbull, who cleared with ease. In the closing stages, Peebles resorted to spoiling tactics, kicking the ball out at every opportunity, to preserve their lead and take both points home.

17. Murrayfield Amateurs played their debut match in the East of Scotland League against Berwick Rangers at Pinkhill. The home team made an aggressive start, but their attack was held back by Wilson and Rule. A raid down the left, however, saw Wilson make a poor clearance and Barclay sent a shot just over. Berwick took up the offensive and Hush tested Hall in the home goal. Rangers kept Hall under pressure, and it paid off on 22 minutes when Longbone secured possession of a long punt down the field and crossed for Watson to head the ball home. Yourston's greatest task up to this point had been to retrieve balls from behind the goal, a result of Murrayfield's tactics of distance shooting. Berwick were unlucky not to extend their lead just before the interval when another thrustful run by Hush ended with a shot which just went over. Murrayfield started the second half as they did the first. Lockhart had a good try from close range which Yourston cleared with difficulty. That over, the game reverted to the order of the first half, with Rangers the more likely scorers. A series of corners kept Murrayfield under pressure before Berwick scored their second goal on 61 minutes. Jefferson stopped the ball from going behind and crossed to Hush, who was lying unmarked and had only to tap the ball past the unsuspecting keeper. Hall made superb save to deny Longbone before Watson scored Berwick's third of the afternoon ten minutes from time to secure their first league win of the season.

24. Shielfield Park's first derby of the season between Berwick Rangers and Coldstream attracted a large crowd for the league encounter played under perfect weather conditions. However, there was little excitement for those who attended as Coldstream were no match for the Rangers, who led comfortably by three goals to nil at the interval. The visitors seldom troubled Yourston in the Berwick goal. At the other end, Curran was shaky under pressure. Watson, Jefferson and W. Hope were not long in calling Curran into action as the bulk of the play was centred around the Coldstream goal. From a clearance, Swan secured the ball and sent Bryson through, but W. Hope robbed him before he had chance to make ground. When the ball returned to the Coldstream end, Hush opened the scoring after cleverly foiling McCready and Moffat. Coldstream had a chance to level when Swan intercepted a pass from the centre, but his powerful drive hit the side netting. Rangers doubled their lead on 38 minutes when Hush headed in a cross from Watson. Two minutes later, Jefferson sent a cross into the goalmouth and Blythe headed in a third goal from close range. Curran in the Coldstream goal was quickly under pressure at the start of the second half as shots from Jefferson and Hush kept him busy. The keeper had a stroke of luck when Watson sent in a fast shot; Curran flung himself wildly at the ball and but for McCready coming to the rescue W. Hope would have found the net. Longbone shot narrowly over the crossbar and Hush also went close before Jefferson made it 4-0 with a powerful shot through a crowd of players. In a rare Coldstream attack, Swan and Nicholson converged on Yourston, who left his goal to deprive Swan of the ball. On 73 minutes, McCready handled in the box and Hush completed his hat trick from the penalty spot. With 15 minutes remaining, many could be seen leaving the ground. However, the action was still not over. Bryson had the whole field to himself following a Coldstream clearance, but he shot well wide. At the other end, Watson crossed to Hush, who was unmarked and had Curran at his mercy, but having already scored three, he opted to pass out to Longbone, who was tackled and disposed by McCready. Hush could have certainly scored, but it would have been a glorified penalty.

31. In a moderate game with bright intervals, Berwick Rangers deserved their 2-1 win over Leith Amateurs in the first round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at Shielfield Park. Rangers were poor early in the first half but played the visitors almost to a standstill in the second, even though they could only finish with the odd goal in three in their favour. But for the excellent goalkeeping of Clayton, Berwick would have won by a much bigger margin. Leith started on the front foot and had the better of the early chances. The visitors were unlucky not to score when Davidson caught a bouncing ball and headed it against the upright with Yourston well out of his goal. However, Leith took the lead with a simple goal on 25 minutes. Rule should have cleared a cross from the left, but he stumbled and fell, leaving an opening for Bissett to stab the ball past Yourston. A few minutes later, Yourston saved well from Forbes at the expense of a corner before Rangers upped their game and but for Clayton they should have equalised before the break. Clayton punched out a goal-bound header from Blythe and obstructed shots from Longbone, Jefferson and McAskill. Rangers continued to press after the break and except for a few moves upfield by Leith they monopolised play. It looked only a matter of time until Berwick would level, and they did so just before the hour. G. Hope placed a free kick into the goalmouth which Clayton only partially cleared and McAskill being on the spot levelled the score. Rangers continued to dominate, with Jefferson prominent in attack, and took the lead their play deserved when McAskill got onto the end of an excellent pass by Longbone. The remainder of the game was in Berwick's favour and had they scored more goals they would not have been undeserved.


7. A draw and a share of the points was a fair result when Berwick Rangers travelled to Jedburgh to play the Artisans. The Arts missed several chances in the first half, whereas Berwick missed two penalties, one in each half and were the better team after the interval. Rangers held the lead for three-quarters of the match before the home sided levelled and after the Jed defence stood firm against a Berwick onslaught. End-to-end play marked the opening exchanges of the game. Longbone sent narrowly past at the Jed end, while Fox was unlucky to have a shot blocked in the Berwick goalmouth. Midway through the half Rangers were awarded a penalty. Blythe took the kick, but it hit the base of the post and the rebound was cleared. Berwick continued to press, and Ferguson skimmed the crossbar before Jefferson gave them the lead. The home side were unlucky not to level matters just before the interval when D. McDonald weaved his way through the Berwick defence only to hit the bar with a well-struck shot. The home goal had a narrow escape early in the second half when Blythe struck the bar with a powerful shot. Rangers were awarded another penalty when J. McDonald handled in the area. This time G. Hope took the kick, but Anderson saved well. Late in the game, Reid got the equaliser for Jed Arts when he bundled both keeper and ball over line in a goalmouth scrimmage. Rangers kept pressing towards to close but could not penetrate the Arts' defence again.

14. Newcomers to the East of Scotland League, Dunfermline Athletic A, provided the opposition at Shielfield Park. Berwick took up the offensive from the start and five minutes in Watson came close to scoring but his parting shot was cleared by Arnott. Kennaway was kept busy with Jefferson and Watson both testing the keeper. Rangers kept the play in the visitors' half, but despite their pressure Berwick could just not get that all-important finish. A corner kick by Henderson was beautifully placed but was headed clear by Grieve. Rule had a powerful shot cleared and Allison went close to scoring on two occasions in the closing stages of the half. Firstly, he headed just wide after intercepting a cross from the right and a minute later he struck a fast, rising shot which Kennaway tipped over the bar. It was a brilliant shot and an equally brilliant save. Rangers started the second half as they finished the first – on the attack, but Kennaway was not really tested until the hour-mark when Watson got the ball upfield and the keeper had to leave his goal to clear before Henderson or Jefferson could get near him. Dunfermline then got a look in. Arnott hit a fast shot goalward before Grieve tested Yourston with a hard shot which the keeper fisted over. On 75 minutes the visitors took the lead when Thompson drove down the wing, side stepped Middlemass, and sent a high ball across the goalmouth which Morrison headed smartly past Yourston. Dunfermline nearly extended their lead a few minutes later when Robertson sent over and accurate cross which Thompson intercepted and hit goalward; the ball eluded Yourston but luckily for Berwick Wilson headed it off the line. Five corners, one after another, were conceded by Rangers and it was only the suborn Berwick defence which allowed the goal to survive. Then Rangers equalised. Watson transferred play into the visitors' half and forced Arnott into conceding a corner. From the corner kick, a melee ensued, and G. Hope headed the ball into the back of the net. With time fast running out, Watson raised the crowd's enthusiasm when he dodged the Dunfermline defenders and made a beeline upfield accompanied by Jefferson. Unfortunately, when Watson crossed to Jefferson his teammate was offside and the game ended 1-1.

21. Berwick Rangers deservedly won their second round Scottish Qualifying Cup tie against Selkirk at Shielfield Park 1-0. However, there was a certain element of luck about the only goal of the game in which Rangers missed chance after chance. Selkirk started brightest and Yourston was quickly tested by Mullen. Five minutes in, Selkirk had a goal disallowed for a hand-ball infringement. Following this let off, Berwick upped the pace and for a greater part of the first half Selkirk were seldom in the Rangers' half. Corner after corner fell to Berwick, but Wright proved to be in top form in goal and cleared confidently. G. Hope had a rising shot from long range punched over the bar by Wright and a few minutes later W. Hope skimmed the crossbar with a raking drive. McAskill then blazed over from just five yards out when it looked easier to score. Yourston had had a very quiet time but nearing the interval he saved a powerful shot from Ford. Rangers should have been out of sight with the chances that had fallen their way, but poor finishing had let them down. With the aid of the slope in the second half, Selkirk pressed, and Mullen sent in a hard shot which Yourston did well to hold. Berwick gradually took control with Jefferson harassing the Selkirk defence, but it seemed as if Rangers were to be denied a goal. Selkirk had a few raids and Ford nearly gave the visitors the lead when he received the ball in front of goal but blasted wide from the edge of the six-yard box. Rangers took the lead their play deserved on 70 minutes when Blythe sent in a powerful shot which Wright stopped but dropped and before he could clear, McAskill ran in and kicked the loose ball into the net. Two minutes later, McAskill had a chance to increase the lead when Jefferson played him in, but he again blasted over the bar from a good position. In the closing minutes, Selkirk made a desperate effort to level the tie, but they found Wilson in defence a real stumbling block and Yourston likewise in goal.

28. Duns proved to be too good for Berwick Rangers in the second round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. However, had Rangers taken their chances the 4-0 scoreline would have looked much better. Heavy rain had fallen during the day making the Hawthorn Park pitch heavy and slippery. The opening exchanges were quiet with neither team claiming much advantage. J. Robertson shot past, and from a well-placed corner, Hush headed against the crossbar for Duns. Jefferson, Allison and Henderson all had half chances for Berwick, but to be honest neither keeper was really tested. Late in the half, Duns upped the pace and J. Robertson played Hush in behind the Berwick defence and left with only Yourston to beat he put Duns ahead with a simple shot. Yourston did well to save a fast shot from Whitelaw as the home side kept up the pressure. In a Berwick raid, Jefferson had a goal-bound shot blocked by McPherson. However, just before the interval, Whitelaw put Duns two goals ahead when he beat Yourston with a high shot. Duns started the second half on the attack and T. Robertson was unlucky with a shot just the wrong side of the post. From a cross by Laing, Hush missed from close in, then Whitelaw had a hard shot saved by Yourston. Rangers then took up the attack, but poor finishing was again their undoing, even missing a penalty which Blythe took but Keenan saved. That proved to be Rangers' last chance. Duns pressed Berwick back into their own half for the remainder of the game and after a fine run by Whitelaw, Laing made it 3-0 and before the end Whitelaw added his second and Duns' fourth.


5. Berwick Rangers made their exit from the Scottish Qualifying Cup after being beaten 2-1 by Peebles Rovers in the third round at Shielfield Park. Peebles were extremely lucky to win as Berwick were by far the better side throughout. Rangers brought in Walker and Urquhart, from Linlithgow Rose and St Bernard's respectively, to bolster their forward line. However, the same problem persisted – poor finishing. Peebles scored two simple goals through Waterson and Robertson, while Berwick missed a penalty before G. Hope reduced the deficit just before the interval. Berwick's new players forced the early play and gave the Peebles' defence some anxious moments. It was against the run of play when the visitors took the lead on seven minutes. Robertson let Bradley away on the left and after beating W. Hope he sent a high cross into the goalmouth which Waterson headed into the net – a very simple goal. Two minutes later, Rangers had a chance to level when they were awarded a penalty after Jefferson was fouled in the box. G. Hope stepped up to take the kick but missed the goal altogether. Peebles doubled their lead on 12 minutes when Haywood played a defence-splitting pass through to Robertson, who ran on unchallenged and beat Yourston from two yards out. The visitors pressed for a while, but Berwick gradually gained back the upper hand. Watson was presented with an open goal but somehow, he put his shot wide. Walker just failed to connect with a cross from Watson in front of the goal and later he brought Turnbull to his knees with a neat shot. Several corners fell to Berwick in quick succession without result, but five minutes from the interval G. Hope sent in a terrific 30-yard drive which gave Turnbull no earthly chance in saving. The goal was justified on play as Berwick were by far the better team and did not deserve to be behind. Rangers attacked strongly early in the second half in search of the equalising goal. Walker broke through, but Turnbull smothered his shot. Several more corners fell to Berwick, but again they could not force the ball home. The visitors began to get rattled and the referee found plenty of work for his whistle. For a long time, Rangers held Peebles back in their own half. Turnbull's luck held good when he just managed to prevent Walker's flicked shot from entering the net with a full-length save. The Peebles goal had another narrow escape when a bouncing ball from Cromarty was knocked against the underside of the crossbar and scrambled clear. The visitors tried to fightback and Haywood almost got a third, but Yourston saved his shot at the second attempt. Peebles then seemed content to defend and kicked the ball out of play at every possible opportunity to preserve their lead.

19. For some time, Berwick Rangers had been unable to find a strong forward line, but in a league match against Vale of Leithen at Shielfield Park they did just that and won 6-2. Only Jefferson was retained, and he was partnered by his brother Tommy. Urquhart and Walker were again selected along with new players Sinclair (Rosewell Rosedale) and Buckley (Selkirk). The visitors had wind advantage in the first half, but it was Berwick who opened the scoring on three minutes when Sinclair sent in a shot which Robson saved, but before he could clear Walker charged him over the line with the ball in his arms. Vale fought back and Yourston punched out a high shot from the right. Rangers went close when Robson pushed out a point-blank shot from Sinclair and the danger was quickly cleared. Berwick had a similar piece of luck when a shot from McCafferty hit the upright with Yourston beaten. On 15 minutes, Rangers scored their second goal when R. Jefferson turned smartly in the box and beat Robson from a difficult angle. Stewart had a great chance to reduce the lead, but from point-blank range he skied the ball over the bar. Berwick made it 3-0 when Urquhart and Sinclair combined well to create the opening for R. Jefferson, who hit a powerful drive past Robson. On the half-hour mark, Vale reduced the lead from the penalty spot after W. Hope handled in the area and Blair scored. With five minutes of the half remaining, Blair reduced the lead further with a superb 40-yard free kick. Rangers started strongly in the second half and R. Jefferson had a well-hit shot turned round the post by Robson. On 55 minutes, Sinclair placed nicely to Walker in the six-yard box, and he shot calmly into the net to make the score 4-2. A minute later it was 5-2 when Sinclair lobbed over another cross to Walker, who took it in his stride and completed his hat trick. Sinclair had bad luck when his shot beat Robson and struck the post. Fifteen minutes from the end, Sinclair was again the provider when he crossed for Urquhart to head home goal number six. Robson still had plenty to do after this and saved another shot from R. Jefferson at full-stetch. The visitors kept pegging away despite the fact they were so far behind, but they could make little impression on the home defence.

26. Berwick Rangers and Duns played out a very competitive one-all draw in the second round of the Border Cup at Hawthorn Park. Berwick pressed from the start and Dumble sent a hard, low shot inches wide. Rangers took the lead after just five minutes when G. Hope got his head to the ball from a corner by Sinclair to beat Keenan. A few minutes later, Keenan did well to scramble the ball away from several Berwick forwards as Rangers continued to press. Duns could not get a foothold in the game at this stage with Berwick holding firm at the back. A header from Hush was stopped by Yourston and the keeper held a similar effort by J. Robertson. Midway through the half, A long shot from Cromarty bounced awkwardly in front of Keenan before being cleared. From the clearance, Duns attacked the Berwick goal and forced a corner. McWattie placed the flag kick in on goal from where it was not properly cleared. T. Robertson received the ball and was about to shoot when W. Hope tackled him but handled the ball in the process. The referee pointed to the penalty spot and McPherson, taking the kick, put the teams on level terms. Just before the interval, Keenan pushed a shot from Sinclair over the crossbar, while at the other end Yourston saved well from McWattie. Play in the second half began as it left off in the first as both teams strove hard for the lead. Whitelaw shot just past for Duns and Hush had a good try before Jefferson hit the upright with a powerful shot for Berwick. Sinclair beat his man and shot just wide, and Keenan saved well from G. Hope. Yourston stopped a long-range shot from Whitelaw and Buckley did well to stop a dangerous cross into the box from McPherson, who had run the length of the field, beating several opponents on the way. There was no slackening of the pace in the final minutes, but with no further scoring a replay was required to separate the teams.


2. Expectations of a close game in the second-round replay of the Border Cup between Berwick Rangers and Duns at Shielfield Park were soon shattered. After a very keen and closely contested first half, the game fizzled out in the second and Duns were worthy winners. Judging by the first half, the game was anybody's, but Berwick were overwhelmed after the break and gave a disappointing display. Duns, however, were fortunate to win by the 4-1 scoreline as Rangers had two perfectly legitimate goals disallowed. It seemed to knock the heart out of their play and afterwards Duns were easily on top. Rangers started brightly and a cross from Kerr was scrambled away before Watt had a shot which went just past. However, Duns opened the scoring against the run of play on eight minutes when Whitelaw played Hush through, and although challenged by Buckley, he gave Yourston no chance with a fast shot into the back of the net. Berwick took up the running and Burns headed off the line for Duns with Keenan out of position. After 14 minutes, Rangers levelled when Kerr's well-placed corner was headed into the net by Watt. A few minutes later Berwick scored again following a goalmouth scramble, but the goal was disallowed for an infringement. Hush broke through again and sent in a hard shot which struck the base of the post before being cleared. Shortly after, Yourston palmed down a shot from Jeffrey, and Hush, standing almost on the goal-line, blazed over. Rangers should have been in the lead at half-time when, with just three minutes to go, Keenan slipped in saving and McPherson stopped a certain goal by kicking clear on the line. Duns upped their game in the second half and three minutes in Hush restored their lead when he broke through and scored with a neat cross shot. A minute later, Jeffrey sent in a shot which Yourston fisted over with perfect judgement. Rangers took up the attack and from a free kick just outside the penalty box G. Hope skimmed the crossbar with a terrific drive. Fifteen minutes from the end, a shot by Sinclair was smothered by Keenan, and in the scramble that followed, McPherson was clearly seen pushing back players with his arms. A corner was forced, and the ball was headed past Keenan. However, the ball was kicked out by King, who appeared to be standing behind the line, but the referee ruled it was not a goal. Four minutes from time, Hush completed his hat trick when a long clearance was put between the Berwick backs, and he ran through to score in a one-on-one with Yourston. Two minutes later, Wilson and Hush went for the ball together; Wilson fell in the process and Hush turned neatly before unleashing a fast shot past Yourston to make it four against his old club before the finish.

9. Back to league business, Berwick Rangers played well and were unlucky not take both points in a 3-3 draw at Penicuik Athletic. The opening half saw both defences on top, but Penicuik crossed over a goal to the good. The second half was more keenly fought, and chances were missed by both sides. Penicuik looked to be heading for defeat but managed to draw level with a last-minute goal. In the first minute, Ford missed an open goal for Penicuik. The home side continued to press but could not find a way through the Berwick defence. Wilson tested Yourston with a powerful header, but the keeper pushed the ball over the bar. However, Penicuik took the lead midway through the half when Sclater beat Yourston with a first-time volley following a cross into the box from the right. Rangers pressed for a short spell without result and a series of corners for both sides proved likewise. Just before the interval, Yourston made a daring save from Sclater on the goal-line. Play in the early stages of the second half was confined to midfield. Penicuik attacked and Ford missed a glorious chance to extend the home side's lead when he hesitated in front of goal. Berwick levelled matters a minute later when Walker scored following a quick breakaway. Straight from the kick-off, Ford put Penicuik back into lead; however, the lead was short lived as Jefferson scored to put the teams back on level terms and Walker put Rangers ahead a few minutes later. The game was now being played end-to-end but Penicuik attacked strongest with time fast running out and Ford levelled the score at 3-3 in the final minute.

16. Fortunes fluctuated when Berwick Rangers met Peebles YMCA at Shielfield Park. With the visitors looking certain winners, they lost the services of their keeper, giving Rangers a big advantage. The game was brought to a rather unique finish. Berwick were awarded a last-minute penalty when Sinclair was brought down in the area and Yourston, the home keeper, took the spot kick; however, Carrick, the deputy Peebles keeper, saved the shot. Berwick won the toss and set Peebles to play against the sun. Sinclair blazed over the Peebles crossbar in the opening minutes. The visitors were not without their attacking spells, but they were spoiled with being caught offside. Rangers forced two corners in quick succession and were unlucky not to take the lead from the first when Jefferson headed just over. Berwick were fortunate when Fraser drew Yourston from his goal and then sent the ball over the crossbar. Peebles' first corner fell to Yellowlees, but Buckley headed clear off the line. Jefferson went close again with a fast, rising shot which Robertson did well to save. At the other end, Yourston brought off an equally fine save from Wells. Sinclair went close after he broke through with a clear field ahead, but he paused before shooting and after being challenged by Carrick and Simpson he put the ball over. Rangers looked like taking the lead when Sinclair drew Robertson, but Carrick came to the rescue. Sinclair then had another attempt, but he shot straight into the keeper's arms. The second half had just begun when Peebles took the lead. A smart move finished with Fraser running through; Berwick appealed for offside, but Fraser ignored their appeals and scored without much trouble. In a Berwick raid, Robertson then had his hand injured and had to retire, Carrick taking his place between the posts. Not long after, Sinclair levelled matters after G. Hope sent a long shot into the goalmouth. Urquhart had a goal disallowed shortly after for offside with Carrick flat on the ground. A minute later, Walker scored from a centre by Jefferson after Carrick unwisely left his goal and the ball went into an empty net. Robertson returned with his hand bandaged and played at outside right. Rangers scored a third when full back Simpson hesitated, giving Carrick no chance of saving a shot from point-blank range from Walker. Three successive corners followed, but Rangers failed to net. Carrick brought off a fine save from Jefferson and a minute later Walker shot over the bar from close in. Rangers kept up the pressure and a fourth goal looked imminent when Sinclair was brought down heavily not far from goal. A penalty was awarded; Yourston took it, but Carrick stopped the shot, and the rebound was cleared.

23. The league match at Vale of Leithen kicked off 30 minutes late and with the home team fielding just nine men. Despite this disadvantage, Vale more than held their own, but after holding a commanding 3-1 lead at half-time, they struggled to hold on to it. The home side were first to attack but Rathie was dispossessed when well placed in front of goal. Ten minutes in, Vale were at full strength and in their first attack they opened the scoring. Cummings let McCafferty away down the wing and shooting from the touchline he beat Yourston with a high shot. Immediately after, Vale were awarded a free kick for a foul on McCafferty, from which Wilson headed into the net after first heading against the post. The home side kept up the pressure with Rathie and McCafferty both dangerous. Berwick eventually got a foothold in the game and a slick move started by Jefferson ended with Sinclair reducing the deficit with a fast shot into the back of the net. However, soon after, clever work by McLean ended with Rathie scoring with a fine drive. With respective defences now on top, midfield play ensued until the interval. Vale attacked strongly on the restart, but Yourston was in no way troubled. After a long spell of home pressure, Rangers attacked and a clever shot on the turn by Walker went narrowly wide of the post with Robson beaten. At the other end, McCafferty and Cummings went clean through, but Yourston saved McCafferty's parting shot. With five minutes remaining, Rangers pressed hard on the home goal. Walker headed against the upright with Robson beaten. Berwick then forced a corner which proved unproductive before Allan reduced the score to 3-2 with a powerful close-range shot. Rangers searched hard for the equalising goal, but the home defence stood firm.

30. In a hard-fought game at Duns, Berwick Rangers took their chances when they came and deserved both points with a goal in each half by J. Hope and Jefferson. The opening exchanges favoured Duns and Yourston was soon called into action when Whitelaw crossed into the box and Hush shot just past. Jeffrey shot inches over the crossbar for the home side before Rangers made ground. On ten minutes, Berwick took the lead when J. Hope converted a cross from the right. Duns retaliated strongly but met a strong defence and Yourston behind it. From a close-range shot by Whitelaw, Yourston saved well and his quick clearance upfield let J. Hope through on goal, but McPherson got back just in time to make a challenge and avert the danger. T. Robertson was fouled on the edge of the 18-yard box, but the resulting free kick did Duns no good. Tilbrook was prominent on more than one occasion in midfield, but the finishing of the forwards in front of him left a lot to desire. Just before half-time, J. Hope had another great chance, but Keenan saved well, and the half ended with Berwick narrowly ahead. Early in the second half, Jefferson put Rangers further ahead after which Berwick grew in confidence and gave Duns as much as they got. The game was much more open than in the first half, but Duns, try as they might, could not get past the stonewall Berwick defence. Jeffrey shot high over the bar and Yourston saved well when J. Robertson got in a neat header following a corner. Hush and Whitelaw both missed chances and Laing hit the upright, but the Berwick defence stood firm.


21. Berwick Rangers were without a competitive fixture until 21st December, due to two cancellations, when Chirnside United visited Shielfield Park. Berwick were to have played hosts to Gala Fairydean on either of the previous Saturdays, but Gala could not afford the travelling expenses. Gala offered to give Berwick the two league points, but sportingly Rangers refused them and asked that the game be played later in the season. Rangers lost the services of Jefferson before the Chirnside United match. On the books, but on amateur forms, Jefferson signed for Leeds United, and Berwick missed out on a transfer fee, which would have helped their financial position. Rangers had an off day and lacked punch up front; Chirnside on the other hand scored a late second-half goal against the run of play and took the points with a slender 1-0 win. The ground was frost-bound, and this affected the game. The players very wisely took things easy on the slippery surface and consequently the game inclined to drag. Taken as a whole, the game was primarily a game of defence with very little up front. Berwick pressed from the start and a few minutes in Blythe sent the ball well into the Chirnside half, but Kilpatrick got back in time to stop J. Hope from breaking through. G. Hope deliberately stopped a Chirnside through ball with his hand and from the resulting free kick Yourston punched the ball over the crossbar. Muir then went close for the visitors with a shot which Rule headed off the line. Both ends were visited in turn, but any goalmouth action was cleared by the defences. However, Rangers had a lucky escape in the closing minutes of the first half when Murray got in a shot from close range; Yourston kicked clear, but the ball rebounded of Murray and was just about to cross the goal-line when Rule swept in and cleared with a hefty kick. Chirnside took up the attack at the start of the second half, but Yourston was never really troubled. G. Hope came close to scoring for Berwick on several occasions and for a considerable spell Rangers had Chirnside penned in their own half. However, with just eight minutes remaining the visitors opened the scoring. Muir latched onto a long clearance from the Chirnside goalmouth and with the home defence caught napping he ran in close before shooting past Yourston. Rangers upped their game in the time that was left and from a free kick on the edge of the box, G. Hope sent in a brilliant shot, which Currie saved with equal status, even if it was at the expense of a corner. Watson took the cross kick and Allan sent narrowly over. The last few minutes were fought out entirely in the Chirnside half, but Berwick could not force the ball over the line and the end must have come as a relief to the visitors, who were certainly losing ground.

25. The weather cast doubt on the Christmas Day friendly against Dunfermline Athletic at Shielfield Park. The ground was still hard with frost after the recent cold spell and rain had fallen during the early morning. However, the weather cleared with bright sunshine in the afternoon and the game went ahead. The pitch was very soft and after first quarter of an hour the surface was well cut up. The players had difficulty in keeping their feet and controlling the ball, which got very heavy towards the end. Dunfermline fielded a strong team as promised, with seven of the eleven recognised as first-team players, while the other four had tasted Scottish League football. Taking everything into consideration, it was not a bad first half performance from Berwick to be just two goals down at the interval. The first goal came early on. Yourston saved neatly from McGowan, but a few minutes later he beat the keeper to a cross from Cromarty and he put the ball into the back of the net. The second goal came from Thomson. A cross from the right was cleared out to the edge of the 18-yard box from where Thomson returned it promptly with a first-time volley into the back of the net. There was no more scoring for the opening twenty minutes of the second half. J. Hope and Watson both had shots on target, but Rangers were beginning to tire under the odds and Thomson scored a third goal with a simple header from a Campbell cross. A fourth goal scored by McGowan was the best of the lot. From a quick clearance, the ball reached McGowan, who dashed between Rule and Watson before hitting a powerful left-footed drive into the top corner of the net, giving Yourston no earthly chance. McGowan completed his hat trick to make it 5-0 to the visitors with only a few minutes remaining.

28. Berwick Rangers were beaten 4-1 in a league encounter against Selkirk at Ettrick Park. Rangers were without the services of Cromarty and McAskill with Pegg, a soldier from the KOSB Depot, and Short, a 15-year-old Grammar School boy, brought in as replacements. With a little luck, Berwick could have scored at least another two goals, but Selkirk had fielded a strong side and overall, they deserved the points. Selkirk attacked strongly at the start with Higgins and Douglas testing Yourston. Rangers then took up the running and W. Hope was unlucky to see his shot go just over the bar. The slippery ground was proving troublesome for both teams, but Selkirk managed the conditions better. The home side took the lead when Mullen crossed to Higgins in the box, and he neatly beat his man before finding the net from close in. From the kick-off, Rangers went straight up field and a powerful shot by Blythe struck home defender Buckley and rebounded into the corner of the net. Berwick should have taken the lead a few minutes later when Blythe was left with only Wright to beat, but he shot against the upright from a good position. After a short spell of even play, Short worked his way upfield and hit the upright with a hard shot and Wilson had a good effort blocked by Johnston. Selkirk then attacked with Yourston saving well from Brown and Higgins. A corner to Berwick saw Pegg shoot wildly past before Selkirk were awarded a penalty from which Higgins made no mistake from the spot. In another Selkirk raid, Mullen tested Yourston with a low shot, but he saved confidently. Rangers tried hard to level before the interval, but Wright made several good saves from J. Hope and Blythe. Berwick kept up the pressure early in the second half and Wright saved in fine style from Allan. Selkirk shook off the attack and quickly forced a corner from which Douglas grazed the crossbar with a fine effort. The home side extended their lead shortly after when Mullen tricked the defence, allowing Robertson through on goal to put Selkirk 3-1 ahead. Nearing the end, Selkirk took command of the game and more good work by Mullen allowed Robertson to add goal number four.


4. Duns robbed Berwick Rangers of a league point when the two teams met in an exciting encounter at Shielfield Park. Rangers held a half-time lead through Watson, but J. Robertson levelled for the visitors midway through the second half. The weather was ideal for football and as a result one of the largest crowds of the season turn out to watch. As usual, Duns fielded a team mostly of Edinburgh imports, but Rangers maintained their policy of a local side. Three changes were made. W. Hope, Allan and McAskill, were all unavailable and were replaced by Patterson, who had been playing for Berwick Hibs; Scott, who was home on leave from the Army; and Stark, a young player from Lowick. End-to-end football was the name of the game in the opening stages but with both defences well on top. Yourston was only called into real action on one occasion when he fisted a shot from Wightman over the bar. Rangers broke the deadlock late in the half when Stark broke down the wing and placed the ball about ten yards in front of the Duns goal; Watson swept in from the opposite wing, caught the ball in his stride and despite the close attention of King and McPherson, he gave Keenan no chance with a high shot into the roof of the net. Excitement ran high after, and some ill feeling crept into the game. Several players were spoken to by the referee and Blythe ended up with his name in the book just before half-time. Rangers should have increased their lead a few minutes into the second half when J. Hope played a superb one-two with Blythe in front of the Duns goal; Keenan left his line and Hope hesitated just long enough for the keeper to reach him and clear the danger. Duns levelled the score midway through the half when J. Robertson unleashed a terrific 30-yarder which gave Yourston no chance. Duns upped their game and Rangers had a lucky escape when Story sent in a dangerous shot which Yourston fisted out and Patterson only partially cleared; Burns got hold of the loose ball and blazed narrowly over. However, the game in the closing stages was practically all Berwick and a deciding goal looked imminent. From a corner by Stark, Blythe sent inches wide and from one by Watson G. Hope headed just over the crossbar and Rangers had to settle for a share of the points.

11. Berwick Rangers gave a poor display in a 4-0 drubbing against Peebles YMCA at Peebles. Only in goal were they well served, and it was only due to Johnstone, in for the injured Yourston, that they were not further in arrears. Rangers had the aid of the strong wind in the first half, but even then, the home side were superior and finished two goals ahead at the interval. In the second half, Peebles slackened off, but still scored twice more. The first real chance of the match fell to Berwick, but J. Hope shot over with Robertson out of his goal. However, Peebles quickly took control and Sterricks came close to scoring with a hard drive which Johnston did well to touch over the crossbar for an unproductive corner. After a fleeting Berwick raid, Peebles forced another corner, this time on the right, and Johnston again distinguished himself with a fine save from Walker. Rangers forced a free kick on the edge of the 18-yard box, but offside spoiled a promising move. After a sustained Peebles attack, Sterricks made an opening on the right and from his cross Hailstones beat Johnstone to put the home side ahead. Two minutes later, Walker doubled the lead with a first-time shot on the volley. With the wind behind them in the second half, Peebles continued to attack, but Johnston made a series of fine saves from Sterricks, Wells and Fraser, to keep the score down. Berwick were disappointing and rarely troubled the home defence and it came as no surprise when late in the game Walker added a third and Wells a fourth.

18. Berwick Rangers got back to winning ways against Selkirk with a 2-0 victory and two league points at a snow covered Shielfield Park. Berwick won more easily than the scoreline suggested, with many more opportunities lost due to the state of the ground, with Rangers having to wait until the second half before they found the net. Berwick fielded a much stronger side than the previous week. Johnstone retained his place in goal with Yourston still out; McAskill returned to the side in place of Short and James Blythe, brother of Joe, replaced Stark. Within a minute of the start, Selkirk went close when Johnstone was forced to make a full length save from Robertson. However, the action was moved quickly to the other end, where it stayed for a considerable time. From a pass by Patterson, J. Hope got through, but was robbed of possession by Johnston and Pringle. Cromarty caught a cross from James Blythe and gave Bateman a real tester. A few minutes later, Bateman brought off a fine save from McAskill and just before half-time James Blythe gave J. Hope a glorious opportunity to put Rangers ahead but his dash for goal was spoiled by a handling offence. Berwick opened the scoring a few minutes into the second half when McAskill shot strongly from the wing; Bateman saved on the goal line, but lost possession and J. Hope touched the ball into the net. Later, J. R. Blythe sent in a shot which was cleared by the visitors but only as far as Patterson, who returned a high cross which J. Hope headed into the roof of the net from close in. It looked a legitimate goal, but the referee though otherwise and ruled it out for offside. However, a second goal for Berwick was not long in coming. Rule punted a long clearance upfield; Hope caught the ball and played McAskill through; Bateman left his line to challenge and McAskill sent the ball past him into the empty net. Rangers kept up the pressure for the remainder of the game, which developed into shooting practice. In the final minute, J. R. Blythe had real bad luck when he sent a low shot just wide of the post, nevertheless, Berwick fully deserved their two-goal win.

25. Berwick Rangers were due to meet Celtic in the first round of the Scottish Cup at Parkhead on Saturday 25th January. However, the game was called off the day before due to ground being heavily frost bound. William Malley, the Celtic manager, visited Berwick on the Saturday afternoon and met with the officials of Berwick Rangers. Arrangements had been made before the meeting that a press release would be made at 4 o'clock. At the press release, Rangers' officials gave false information to the local press. Reporters were told that the game would be played in Glasgow on either Wednesday or Thursday. No mention whatsoever was made of Berwick having agreed to accept a sum of money from Celtic to scratch from the competition to allow Celtic to play a lucrative league match against Heart of Midlothian at Tynecastle. The Saturday night edition of the Edinburgh Evening Dispatch printed the following: "The Edinburgh Evening Dispatch was informed today by a representative of Berwick Rangers that they would insist on the Saturday date for their postponed tie with Celtic at Parkhead unless they received a very big inducement, such as a big guarantee, to play in midweek. The supposition is that it will be well worth while for Celtic to guarantee £100 or more to Berwick Rangers on Wednesday, for their share of Saturday's league drawings at Tynecastle would be about £400. Mr W. Malley, manager of Celtic, met the Berwick Rangers' officials this afternoon. No decision was made except that the game will be played on Wednesday or Thursday of next week, if Parkhead has recovered from frost. It is expected that the Berwick club will not be the losers financially." Malley had requested the officials of Berwick Rangers make no mention of their decision for a few days, but on his return to Glasgow he immediately informed the Press that Berwick Rangers had scratched. Berwick Rangers were then asked for an official announcement, and it was stated that Berwick Rangers had been given over £100 by Celtic, along with the promise of a game against the "A" team at the end of the season to scratch from the competition. Celtic played Heart of Midlothian at Tynecastle the following Saturday in front of a 30,930 crowd and Berwick Rangers scratched from the Scottish Cup, much to the annoyance of Scottish football in general.


1. Few of the crowd at Shielfield Park could grudge Penicuik Athletic their 2-1 victory over Berwick Rangers. There was nothing outstanding about the game, but a dour Penicuik defence certainly stood the test and paved the way for a win. Rangers fielded the team that was chosen the previous week to face Celtic in the Scottish Cup. After the performance against Penicuik many supporters shuddered to contemplate what would have happened to Berwick had the match gone ahead. The ground conditions were against flowing football following the thaw and the going was hard. An odd goal victory was a fair reflection of the game, but in the latter stages of the second half Berwick put the Penicuik goal under a constant barrage without success. Rangers came close to scoring twice in the opening minutes. J. Hope was only prevented from getting through by the ball sticking in the mud long enough for McDonald to leave his goal and clear the danger at Hope's feet. McAskill then missed narrowly with a header following a corner kick by Watson. J. Hope went close on several occasions, but the visitors somehow always managed to clear the danger. Stark sent in a shot which sent McDonald to his knees at the foot of the post; J. Hope rushed in and took the ball from the keeper's grasp, but it fell the wrong side of the upright. The visitors took the lead against the run of play. However, the goal was preceded by a shot which deserved a better fate. From 20-yards out, Sclater hit a fast shot which struck the upright and rebounded clear with Yourston beaten. Just on half-time, Laidlaw made a beeline for the Berwick goal but was sandwiched in the box by Wilson and Rule and fell heavily. A penalty was awarded from which Wilson put the visitors ahead. The visitors took up the attack at the start of the second half, but Rangers gradually took the game to the Penicuik end and a long stay there saw them unlucky on several occasions with Watson and J. Hope keeping McDonald busy. Rangers eventually levelled when Blythe played the ball though and a race for possession between J. Hope and McDonald resulted. The keeper won the race but only partially cleared. Unfortunately for Penicuik, the ball went straight to McAskill who slammed it into the empty net. Berwick were not long on equal terms. A few minutes later, Quinn sent in a shot from the wing which Yourston fumbled in the mud and Laidlaw rushed in to put Penicuik back in front. The game proceeded without much incident until the final few minutes. W. Hope sent in a shot which J. Hope headed towards goal; McDonald caught the ball on the ground and rolled over; Rangers and the crowd appealed for a goal, but the referee decided otherwise.

8. In the second meeting in a week, Berwick Rangers fell heavily against Penicuik Athletic in the first round of the King Cup. Penicuik did the pressing in the first half, but the Berwick defence played well. The game was keenly fought out after the interval, but Penicuik had the advantage. Rangers could not break down the home defence, but scarcely deserved five goals without return scored against them. The Royal Hotel Park ground was well sanded but treacherous. Despite the conditions some good football was played by both sides. Penicuik opened the scoring following an early Berwick raid. Currie made a long defensive clearance upfield; Ramage caught the ball and played a fine pass through for Laidlaw to put the home side ahead. Yourston saved well from Wilson as Penicuik continued to attack. Berwick then made ground, but Rutherford cleared the danger. Despite the heavy ground, both ends were visited in turn in typical cup-tie fashion. After Yourston had saved several shots, he was beaten close in by Wilson following a well-placed corner just before the interval. Penicuik pressed on the restart, with two smart crosses by Wilson going abegging. Berwick missed a great chance to reduce the leeway when Watson, with only McDonald to beat, shot high over the bar. However, after a neat passing move, Penicuik went further ahead through Pullar. Now dominating play, Penicuik added a fourth when Laidlaw beat Yourston following a superb Wilson cross into the box. Wilson then turned goalscorer, adding a fifth just before the end.

22. In a league match at Home Park, Coldstream, Berwick Rangers went down to another heavy defeat. The 5-0 scoreline did not exaggerate the run of play and Berwick could count themselves lucky the score against them was not heavier. Coldstream pressed from the start and Yourston was called into action to clear a low shot from Bryson. It was evident from by the early play that the game would be a one-sided affair, with Rangers defending in depth. A fine move by Coldstream led to Kerse sending in a fine shot which struck the crossbar and Rule was fortunate to clear the rebound with Johnstone in close attendance. Coldstream took the lead on ten minutes when a corner kick was well placed by Kerse and Romanes beat Yourston from close range. Kerse again hit the crossbar as Coldstream continued to press with Yourston making several fine saves. G. Hope was a stalwart in the Berwick defence, and it was mainly due to his policing of Bryson that Coldstream had not gone further ahead. However, the home side secured their second goal before the interval when a neat move between Johnstone and Imrie saw the latter score from six yards. Cuthbertson went close in the final minute of the half, but his shot was intercepted by Rule with Yourston well out of position. The early stages of the second half were quiet with Coldstream seeming content to sit back. However, Curran had little to do in the Coldstream goal with only a solitary effort from McAskill causing any real concern. Midway through the half, Johnstone sent over a good cross from which Kerse scored Coldstream's third. Their fourth came soon afterwards when Bryson evaded the attentions of G. Hope to beat Yourston with a low shot. Rangers made several position changes to try and salvage some pride, but it made little difference and the Coldstream defence was never really tested. Ten minutes before the end, Kerse scored a fifth goal after a splendid bit of opportunism by Cuthbertson.

29. On field matters got worse when Berwick Rangers travelled to Peebles to face the Rovers for league points and ended up on the end of a 7-1 thrashing. Rangers made changes to their line-up after two heavy defeats on the road. Keeper Yourston was dropped with Pearson of Berwick Hibs taking his place. The defence remained the same, but the forward line showed changes both positional and player with Dixon and Thomson replacing Short and Cromarty in a reshuffled line up. Rangers, on their second half performance were hardly deserving of such a heavy defeat. With a four-goal lead in the first half, Peebles gave their supporters a fright with a poor display early in the second half and it was well for them that Wilson saved G. Hope's penalty when Rangers were well on top. The home side took the lead within two minutes when Cochrane got in a shot which Pearson failed to stop. Berwick attacked sporadically, but for most of the part they were on the defensive. Rathie finished off a fine move by getting a second goal and a few minutes later Cochrane added a third. Rangers got a look in, but Wilson dealt smartly with a shot from Thomson. Just before the interval, Waterson broke through the Berwick defence to give Peebles a four-goal lead. Berwick started the second half brightly and Blythe pulled a goal back before G. Hope failed to convert from the penalty spot a few minutes later. After this, Rovers upped their game and further goals from Cochrane, Waterson and Bradley completed the rout.


7. Jed Artisans were lucky to leave Shielfield Park with a point in a game in which six goals were shared. The Artisans were disappointing and a second half bombardment by Berwick should have produced a hatful of goals. The match lost some of its interest with neither team having anything at stake and the season drawing rapidly to a close. The visitors turned up a man short and had to seek the services of local player, W. Short, who turned out on the right wing. Two minutes after the start, Jed Arts went ahead through Mackerel after a neat move down the left. This early reverse did not deter Berwick and they soon had the play in the visitors' half. Rangers levelled the score soon after when Gilchrist raced down the left and sent in a hard shot which sent Duffy to his knees; however, he fumbled the ball and J. Hope rushed in to put the ball over the line. Exchanges generally continued in Berwick's favour with Duffy having some close calls. Gilchrist sent over a well-placed corner which Knox lobbed just over the bar. J. Hope broke upfield shortly after and when pressed he played Gilchrist through in a one-on-one with Duffy; the keeper left his goal and luckily for the visitors Gilchrist's parting shot hit Duffy's outstretched leg and cleared at the expense of a corner. Gilchrist took the flag kick and placed it into the six-yard box from where Knox hit a first-time volley to put Berwick into the lead. Play was quickly transferred to the other end where G. Hope headed clear a corner kick; however, McTavish got possession out on the left and beat G. Hope, Wilson and Rule before shooting past Pearson to level the score. With the advantage of the slope in the second half, Rangers were not long in calling the Arts' defence into action. J. Hope ran through on goal after beating King and McDonald, but Duffy ran from his goal and cleared the danger. Knox sent in a fast rising shot which Duffy did well to save. Less than a minute later, McGinn called Pearson into action with a similar shot which was equally well saved. It was only the strong defensive work by King that saw the Jedburgh goal survive at least four times in as many minutes. Twice on the goal-line, with Duffy on the ground, King headed clear. On another occasion, W. Hope sent in a powerful shot, but the ball struck the corner of the upright and crossbar and rebounded out of danger. Then, on 55 minutes and clearly against the run of play, the visitors went ahead when McTavish broke clear and ran the complete length of the Berwick half before shooting past Pearson. However, five minutes later Rangers were back on level terms. Blythe sent in a cross and Watson, although hampered by Ewart and King, beat Duffy with a superbly struck shot. Late in the game, home supporters and players twice appealed for penalty kicks, but the referee paid no heed and towards the end he lost control of the match and was subjected to a lot of barracking from the crowd. The game ended with Rangers still pressing without being able to get the deciding goal.

21. Four points were at stake when Berwick Rangers met Gala Fairydean in a single East of Scotland League match at Shielfield Park. An agreement had been made between the clubs to play both home and away matches on the same day, saving Berwick a trip to Galashiels. The match was played under summer like conditions, but the crowd was just 120 and Rangers would have been lucky to have taken £3 at the gate, leaving the committee with another financial loss to report on a home game. Rangers were faced with several team raising problems, but they did the best they could with an all-local side. Yourston had called off injured and his place in goal was taken by D. Patterson of Spittal Council Old Boys. Wilson was out injured; G. Patterson was chosen as his replacement but did not appear and Wilson, who was present as a spectator, turned out with his knee heavily bandaged. Tait of Scremerston was swapped for G. Hope at the back and two changes were made up front; J. Hope was out; Knox moved to centre-forward and G. Short was brought in at inside-forward. The visitors started brightest and missed a good chance when Clark, who was unmarked in front of goal, received the ball from Mackay, but he blazed it wide when it looked easier to score. However, Gala took the lead on 30 minutes when slack play by the Berwick defence let Ramsay through and he put the ball past Patterson as he rushed out. Two minutes later, Rangers were awarded a penalty for hand ball. Rule took the kick but shot straight at Buchanan, who stopped the ball with his feet and was able to clear before Rule could get to the loose ball. Just before half-time, Buchanan brought off a fine save to deny Gilchrist at the expense of a corner. There was little of note in the opening stages of the second half with neither team really dictating play. Midway through the half, Rangers began to dominate, and a free kick was awarded on the edge of the 18-yard box after Wilson had been brought down heavily. Blythe played a neat ball behind the defence, but Cromarty was ruled offside. W. Hope, Gilchrist, Blythe and Watson all went close before Berwick deservedly equalised. Blythe beat two defenders and shot on goal; Buchanan dived full length and pushed the ball along the goal line and Knox ran in to make sure it hit the back of the net. With four points in view, Rangers went all out for a win and in the closing stages two points were lost due to two blunders by W. Hope. On the first occasion, less than five yards out, Hope blazed over the bar and on the second he again had Buchanan at his mercy but choose to hang onto the ball instead of shooting first time and Turnbull robbed him of the ball.

In the minutes of the meeting of the committee of enquiry set up by the SFA to consider the scratching of the Scottish Cup tie against Celtic it was noted that Berwick Rangers received a sum of money for scratching and recommended that Rule 9 be changed to prevent this situation happening again. Rule 9 was altered and read: "Any club failing to give a satisfactory reason for scratching or withdrawing without first obtaining the consent of the Council, shall not be allowed to take part in the competition the following season."

28. The only disappointing aspect of the promised friendly match against a Celtic A team at Shielfield Park was the comparatively small attendance. There was quite a good crowd, but it certainly did not come up to what the officials anticipated for such an attractive fixture, which Celtic won 6-3. The team Celtic fielded was the same as that which beat Dunfermline Athletic A 4-0 the previous week except for Foley, who was replaced by Brown. Celtic were first to launch an attack, but Berwick came closest to scoring in the opening minutes. Watson was steadying himself for a point-blank shot when Glancy intervened and deflected the ball wide of the mark. Celtic took the lead on ten minutes when a penalty was awarded for a hand-ball offence and Dawson netted from the spot. The visitors doubled their lead four minutes later when McInally sent in a corner from the right which Rule headed out; Davidson returned the ball and Reid turned it into the net. From a corner by Gilchrist, W. Hope headed in a promising shot, but Glancy cleared with a hefty kick. Celtic should have been three-up shortly after when Fitzsimmons had Johnstone at his mercy but, fortunately for Berwick, Rule swept in and cleared the danger. Rangers made some sporadic attacks, but most of their raids were quickly nipped in the bud. Blythe had bad luck when, from close range, he skimmed the crossbar with a rising shot. Celtic went further ahead despite a gallant effort by G. Hope. Reid struck the crossbar with a powerful shot and McInally sent back the rebound which beat Johnstone; Hope stopped the ball on the line, but before he could clear Fitzsimmons ran in to score. Watson was troubling the Celtic defence and from a pass him Dixon fired in a powerful shot which Brown was lucky to clear. Five minutes before half-time, Celtic made it 4-0 when Divers headed in a fine goal following a corner. Rangers pressed at the start of the second half and Tait tested Brown. Celtic soon took up the running and Johnstone did well to tip a fast rising shot from the edge of the box by Gilroy over the crossbar. It was 5-0 to the visitors on 50 minutes when McInally lobbed a high ball into the Berwick goalmouth and Divers headed it into the net. However, two minutes later, a neat passing move between Watson and Dixon saw the latter place the ball out of Brown's reach to reduce the score. Berwick upped their game and were unlucky when Watson drew Brown from his goal, but his shot struck the keeper's outstretched foot and went out for a corner. At this stage, Rangers had the Celtic defence unsettled and from a well-placed Gilchrist cross Watson headed in Berwick's second. Less than a minute later, Rangers nearly scored when Thomson sent in a cross and before Brown could pick it up Watson was on him, and the keeper had to make a hurried clearance. Celtic retaliated with McInally working his way down the wing and his cross into the box was slammed into the net by Mills despite G. Hope's close attention. Watson scored Berwick's third with time fast running out. He was pursued up the wing relentlessly by Fagan, but from a sharp angle he sent in a low shot which Brown failed to save.


4. At East End Park, Dunfermline, Berwick Rangers were narrowly beaten in an entertaining game by the odd goal in seven. Rangers were without the services of Johnstone in goal and Patterson again deputised. Wilson was out and Warner, Tweedside Co-op, was brought in. Cromarty was unavailable due to work commitments and Tait took his place. Dixon and Thomson were also missing with Demee and Roughead of Spittal Council Old Boys taking their places. Dunfermline took the lead within three minutes of the start through Campbell, who scored from close range after Patterson had partially saved a shot from Robertson. Rangers held their own for a short while but fell further behind when Patterson, after a couple of good saves from Bolt, allowed a lob from Rarity to slip through his hands. On 25 minutes, Rangers pulled a goal back when Gilchrist and Demee worked their way through the home defence and from the latter's cross Roughead scored. Dunfermline then bombarded the Berwick goal and shots from all angles tested Patterson, who was applauded time and time again. However, Patterson had to admit defeat when Robertson ran through the centre and placed a low shot into the net. Dunfermline continued to have the better of the exchanges, but there was no further scoring before the interval. Berwick showed improved form in the early stages of the second half and Watson was unfortunate to be forced out on more than one occasion when attempting solo runs. On 75 minutes, Dunfermline increased their tally to four when McGowan found the net. Thomson then got clean through on the Berwick goal, but Patterson saved. In the closing minutes, Demee pulled another goal back before W. Hope reduced Dunfermline's lead to a single goal from the penalty spot. Had Berwick's late revival come earlier a point might have been saved.


7. Berwick Rangers met Chirnside United in the semi-final of the Berwickshire Charity Cup at Shielfield Park. The visitors were most surprised to lose 1-0 considering they already beaten Berwick twice during the season and even the most optimistic Rangers' supporters did not expect to win. Chirnside's team was composed mainly of Edinburgh players, whereas Rangers fielded a purely local team and were still without the services of Wilson. The game was quiet in the opening stages. Chirnside played some clever football, but Rangers unsettled them with some first-time tackling and looked the more likely scorers. Watson had a surprise shot, which went the wrong side of the post, with Currie well beaten, and later Gilchrist had bad luck when he slipped the ball past Currie into the open goal, but Morrish scrambled it away. Chirnside did likewise at the other end when a shot from Dougal beat Patterson with G. Hope dashing in to clear before the ball crossed the line. Both goals were intact at the change of ends with play in the second half fast and keen with each keeper being tested. On 70 minutes, Watson raced through the visitors' defence and scored the only goal of the game with a powerful shot. Gilchrist was then carried off injured. On his return he was very much a passenger and for the rest of the game Rangers played with practically ten men. Chirnside piled the pressure on, and except for the occasional breakaway, play was confined to the Berwick half. Twice Muir came within an ace of scoring, but Patterson was in great form and with a resolute defence in front of him Chirnside could not find the net. The gate amounted to £7.

13. After Coldstream had beaten Duns and Rangers defeated Chirnside, to reach the final of the Berwickshire Charity Cup, it was expected by all that the match played at Chirnside would be a keenly fought contest. However, Rangers gave one of their poorest displays of the season, and Coldstream, although not much better, deserved their 3-0 win. Rangers were without Cromarty and Dumble with Dixon and R. Jefferson taking their places in a reshuffled line up. Coldstream had early advantage of the wind, but Rangers were first to attack, forcing Curran to save a neat shot from Gilchrist. After five minutes Coldstream took the lead with a simple goal. A long shot was going past when Patterson stopped it, but fumbled, and Fairbairn ran in to tip the ball into the net. It was a bad mistake by Patterson. A few minutes later, Coldstream had a chance of increasing their lead, but Ford blazed over the bar. Berwick took up the running and had Coldstream on the back-foot for a while. Coldstream had two nice shots which Patterson saved cleverly. Dixon then let Watson through, but with only Curran to beat he miskicked. Coldstream doubled their lead on 18 minutes. The running was made down the right and the ball slipped to J. Johnston, whose shot gave Patterson no chance. Coldstream had a narrow escape when Curran dropped a shot, but the ball was scrambled away. On 30 minutes, Bryson let Kerse away, and after rounding the defence, he put Coldstream three goals ahead with a low shot. Berwick made desperate efforts to reduce the lead in the run up to half-time, but Coldstream packed their goal and cleared any danger. In the second half, Rangers pressed and forced several corners, but Curran cleared well each time. Berwick were awarded a penalty on the hour for a hand ball offence, but W. Hope put the spot kick wide. Rangers kept pressing but found Curran in fine form. Coldstream then broke upfield and Patterson went full-length to save from Affleck. In another attack, Kerse struck the bar with the keeper beaten. Rangers pressed towards the end, but their finish was poor, and they could not find a way past Curran. The competition raised £21 in total, which was shared amongst the Berwickshire cottage hospitals and Berwick Infirmary.

At the club's AGM in was announced that Berwick Rangers had reduced their outstanding debts by almost £90, but there was still a debt of £132 to be met. When the present committee took over last year the debt on the club was £220. Progress might had been made off the field, but it was a poor season on it. The club finished eighth out of 14 teams in the East of Scotland League; knocked out of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup and Border Cup at the second-round stage by Duns and beaten by Penicuik Athletic in the opening round of the King Cup.

However, the main talking point at the AGM was the scratching to Celtic in the first round of the Scottish Cup. The committee was asked for details on the matter. Treasurer Mr. H. C. Southey answered on behalf of the club: "We did not scratch from the match. What happened was we booked the bus for the Celtic game, and also booked dinners. In the meantime, that Saturday turned out frosty and icy and we could not play. The Celtic manager asked us to play on the following Wednesday and we said Wednesday would suit us, but we were not certain of the players. We had the prerogative of playing the following Saturday, but Celtic had already fixed a League game for that day, and they said if we played on the Wednesday, they would grant us a subsidy of £120. We accepted that, and on the Wednesday, we scratched as we could not raise a team."

Mr. K. C. Shepherd, the club's East of Scotland FA representative said the position as it appeared in the Press was not totally accurate. He added: "We did not scratch to Celtic for any sum of money, but we scratched after a payment of a sum of money by Celtic to play the game in mid-week. We discovered by investigation it would be impossible to send a team to Glasgow on the Wednesday, and the Celtic manager, before he left Berwick, was informed we could not play on the Wednesday. Though the Press rightly or wrongly, had it in their headlines that Berwick Rangers scratched for a sum of money, they did not. All they did was to accept a sum of money to waive their right to play on the following Saturday, and we found we could not play on the Wednesday."

The 1935/36 campaign was always going to be remembered for the cup scratch and, rightly or wrongly, it was a season in the club's history best forgotten.