1933/34: A Mixed Season


Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Aug 26 ESL H Peebles YMCA D 5-5 7
Sep 2 EQC 1 A Civil Service Strollers W 4-2
9 SQCS 1 H Chirnside United D 1-1
16 SQCS 1R H Chirnside United W 4-1
23 EQC 2 A Gala Fairydean W 4-0
30 EQC SF A Duns W 3-2
Oct 7 SQCS 3 H Gala Fairydean L 2-4
14 ESL H Jed Artisans W 5-2 8
21 BC 2 A Duns W 3-2
28 ESL H Peebles Rovers W 2-1 6
Nov 4 EQC F N Mossend Swifts W 2-0
11 ESL A Coldstream W 2-1 5
18 ESL H Selkirk W 4-2 3
25 ESL A Gala Fairydean L 1-3 4
Dec 2 ESL H Vale of Leithen D 3-3 3
9 ESL H Duns W 6-4 3
16 BC SF H Chirnside United W 6-3
25 F H Spittal Rovers L 3-6
30 F H Queen's Park Hampden XI D 2-2
Date C V Opposition Res Pos i
Jan 6 ESL A Peebles YMCA L 0-7 5
13 ESL A Selkirk W 3-2 3
20 ESL H Chirnside United W 3-0 2
27 ESL A Jed Artisans W 2-1 2
Feb 3 KC 2 H Gala Fairydean W 3-2
10 ESL A Vale of Leithen L 0-4 2
17 KC 3 H Clerwood Amateurs D 2-2
24 BC F N Vale of Leithen L 2-5
Mar 3 ESL H Coldstream W 3-2 2
10 KC 3R A Clerwood Amateurs D 2-2
17 KC 3R2 N Clerwood Amateurs L 0-3
24 ESL A Duns D 0-0 3
31 ESL A Chirnside United W 3-1 3
Apr 7 ESL H Gala Fairydean W 3-1 2
14 EC 1 A Leith Athletic L 0-2
28 ESL A Peebles Rovers L 1-2 3
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Peebles Rovers 18 8 1 0 36 8 5 1 3 24 16 28
2 Vale of Leithen 18 8 0 1 32 8 3 3 3 18 17 25
3 Berwick Rangers 18 7 2 0 34 20 4 1 4 12 21 25
4 Gala Fairydean 18 5 4 0 33 19 3 1 5 13 19 21
5 Coldstream 18 5 1 3 20 18 3 3 3 14 20 20
6 Duns 18 4 2 3 25 17 2 1 6 15 27 15
7 Selkirk 18 4 2 3 28 19 2 0 7 15 29 14
8 Chirnside United 18 3 0 6 16 15 2 1 6 16 29 11
9 Peebles YMCA 18 5 0 4 27 16 0 1 8 17 45 11
10 Jed Artisans 18 3 1 5 9 15 1 1 7 11 37 10
Chirnside United v Selkirk - Selkirk awarded 2pts

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

George Adamson 1 1
Abe Anderson 16 5 4 5 1 3 1 3 2 3 1 1
Joe R Blythe 18 9 4 3 1 4 3 2 3 1 1 1
Robert Boston 1
A Brown 1
Frank Bryson 1 1 1 1
Johnny Campbell 2 3 1 1 1
S Charlton 4 1 1
John Clasper 1
Jimmy Crombie 1
William (Bill) Cunningham 1
Robert Dryden 1 2 1
John Dunlop 1
Edmundson 1
John Graham 1 1
Johnson Graham 1
Albert (Bertie) Hall 3 2
Norman Hume 1
George Hush 16 16 1 1 1 3 2 3 4 2 2
Robert Hush 1
William Hush 1 1
James R Johnstone 1 1 1 1
William Johnstone 1
Peter Kerr 2 2 1
Edwin Longbone 8 1 1 4 3 1
Jock McPherson 14 1 1 4 3
David Morris 1
Andrew Ormiston 1
Michael Patterson 1
Charlie Pearson 2 2 2 1 1
Tommy Pearson 14 2 4 1 4 3 3 2
Robert Reid 1
Theo Robertson 3 1 2
William Robson 1
T Rogers 1
Norman Sharkie 6 3 1 1 2
Alex Sharp 14 2 2 1 3 1 2 3 1 2 1
James Spence 3
John Walls 17 2 3 1 4 3 2 2
J Watson 1
Willie Watson 4 4 1 1 1
Robert Waugh 2 1
Thomas Weddell 2
Robert (Bob) White 3 1 1 1
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 18 3 1 4 3 2 2
David Wilson 5 2 1
Willie Yourston 18 4 1 4 2 3 1
own goals 2
Number of players used: 47

For the 1933/34 season, the East of Scotland League was to be an all-Border affair; Penicuik Athletic and Clerwood Amateurs had moved to the Edinburgh and District League, their departures being partly balanced by the admission of Peebles YMCA.


26. Berwick Rangers opened their season against newcomers Peebles YMCA on August 26th, in weather conditions more suited to sun-bathing than football. In contrast to the club's policy of part of last season, Rangers fielded an eleven composed purely of local and district players. Robson, of North Sunderland, partnered Wilson in defence, while Dunlop and Hume, both of Belford, took the right half and outside right positions, respectively. Peebles had lost their first-ever game in the East of Scotland League at Gala Fairydean 7-0, making Berwick's chances of winning their first game look promising. However, five minutes from the start, Hamilton opened the scoring for the visitors. It was not long before Peebles doubled their lead when the Rangers' defence stopped and claimed for offside against Hamilton; however, Hamilton played on, beating Yourston with a low shot, which the referee allowed to stand. Berwick's first real attacking move brought a goal when Johnstone sent over a cross from the left into the centre from where Blythe netted. Johnstone brought the score level with a fast shot which, after striking the underside of the crossbar, rebounded over the goal-line. A minute later, Sharp was unlucky not to put Rangers ahead when he struck the woodwork with a tremendous drive. Peebles retook the lead when a powerful shot by Melrose beat Yourston at the near post. Just before the interval, Hamilton had a clear shot at goal, but Yourston punched over. A goal down on the restart, Rangers made a determined effort to draw level. However, the visitors scored against the run of play when Hamilton completed his hat trick. Berwick reduced the deficit a few minutes later when Veitch brought down Bryson in the penalty box and Blythe scored from the spot. The equaliser soon followed when an excellent cross from Johnstone was headed under the bar by Anderson. With the second half well advanced the visitors made the most of hesitancy in the Rangers' defence and Buchan raced through, beating Robson on his way, before unleashing an unstoppable shot past Yourston. A goal down and time fast running out, Rangers put the Peebles defence under immense pressure. Blythe was near the mark with a header, but it looked as if the visiting defence would hold out. However, with just three minutes remaining, Bryson found the space to turn and score, securing a point in a hard-fought high-scoring draw.


2. Berwick Rangers fully deserved their 4-2 win in the opening round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup over Civil Service Strollers, at St Wood's Park, Portobello. It was a vastly improved performance on the previous week. Five Tyneside players were called in and they made all the difference. Wilson and Sharp were replaced along with Robson, Dunlop and Hume. Of the five players, only Casper had previous experience with the Rangers. The other four were Hall, brother of Mr T. Hall, the Rangers' chairman, J. R. Graham, J. Graham and White. The Strollers won the toss and played with the wind behind them. The Strollers drove long balls downfield and Yourston was kept busy keeping shots out from Cameron, Gordon and McKinlay. Souness had Yourston on his knees with a fast shot before Rangers took hold of the game. Bryson headed just wide of the upright and Bell saved smartly from Johnstone, Anderson and Blythe. On 35 minutes, Rangers took the lead when Anderson converted Johnstone's cross. Berwick increased their lead when Bryson trapped a cross from Johnstone before beating Bell with a rising 12-yard shot just before the interval. The Strollers started the second half strongly. Souness was given a great chance, but Yourston pulled off a clever save. The home team kept pressing and a cross by Dryden was turned into the net by Cameron. Following a brief spell of pressure by Rangers, during which Bell saved well from Bryson, the Strollers returned to the attack. A nice move by Ross and Dryden drew the Berwick defence and gave Green the opening to level matters with a close-range shot. Rangers rallied and Bryson saw his header returned off the crossbar before Blythe beat Bell with a long wind-assisted shot to put Berwick back in front. Seven minutes from time, Bryson again headed against the woodwork and Anderson, following up, headed the ball into the net. Berwick pressed to the finish, preventing anyway back for the Strollers.

9. For the 1933/34 season, Berwick Rangers, along with the other south east of Scotland sides switched to the South section of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. Rangers gave a disappointing display against Chirnside United at Shielfield Park in the opening round, with the game only coming to life in the final quarter. The improvement made against Civil Service Strollers the previous week had all but vanished. Chirnside, on the other hand, had to recruit three local players at the last minute after their Edinburgh-based players had missed their train, but still played well enough to prevent Rangers from entering the second round of the competition that day. Hush and Charlton of Berwick Hibs, along with Graham of Berwick Albion, turned out for the incomplete Chirnside team. Berwick had problems of their own in fielding a team. Bryson and Casper were out injured. Sharp returned to the side along with Waugh, who had played for the Rangers last season. J. R. Graham had been picked again but sent word that he could not play and W. Johnstone, another Tyneside- based player, turned out in his place. Hall failed to turn up having missed his train and Wilson was warming up on the field in his place when Hall turned up having travelled by motorcycle. Rangers should have made certain of the tie in the first half when they had the better of the exchanges. Playing uphill, Rangers pressed strongly with both Sharp and White putting shots just over the crossbar. Hush missed a sitter for Chirnside when, from point-blank range and only Yourston to beat, he failed to connect with the ball. Rangers replied when White sent in a neat close-range shot, which Cox turned around the post, and Waugh tested Cox's capabilities with a high shot which the keeper did well to hold. Connolly had a great chance, but he drove his shot over the bar from just six yards out. Rangers continued to have the better of the exchanges, but Chirnside were unlucky when Connolly's shot skimmed the crossbar with Yourston beaten. Just before the interval, Blythe let loose with a long shot, but Cox brought off another fine save. Rangers started the second half strongly. However, Chirnside continued to be dangerous, and the home goal had a few narrow escapes. Waugh had a great opportunity to put Rangers ahead but was slow to react and the chance was gone. White broke through under a few heavy tackles only to see his shot go inches over; however, he had better luck 12 minutes from the end when he forced his way through the defence to give Berwick the lead from close in. However, the lead lasted just two minutes; a long clearance let Hush through; Yourston ran out, but Hush beat him in jumping for the high ball and Chirnside were back on level terms. The visitors were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Hall handled in the area, but the referee was unsighted at the time. In the last minute, Hush broke through on goal while the home defence stood appealing for offside, but Yourston did well to clear the danger.

16. The replay was played at Shielfield Park as Chirnside's ground did not meet SFA requirements for Scottish Cup ties. It was much improved performance by Rangers who reached the second round with a 4-1 victory. Fifteen minutes after the appointed kick-off time, Tyneside players Hall and White had still not appeared. There was no alternative but to look around the spectators and pick players. Johnny Campbell and Charlie Pearson sportingly turned out. Campbell took the field three or four minutes after the game had started and Pearson a little later – having sent for his boots! It highlighted the risks that a team took bringing in players from such a distance. Chirnside had intended to show only one change from the previous week with Burke coming in to displace Hush, but Burke failed to turn up, and they remained unchanged. Rangers showed several changes with Edinburgh players Sharkie taking Johnstone's place at outside left and Walls replacing Graham at right half. Wilson returned to the side in defence and gave a solid performance. Playing downhill, Chirnside pressed but it was Berwick who opened the scoring when Sharp hit home a superb 40-yarder that left Cox spellbound as it entered the net. The Chirnside goal almost fell again the very next minute when Sharkie's shot was partly stopped by Graham for Cox to pick up and clear. Chirnside defended well and their efforts were rewarded when Johnston tricked Sharp to make the space for a high shot which Yourston could not reach. Up to the interval the honours were even but, on the restart, Rangers took up the running and the Chirnside defence underwent severe pressure. Within four minutes Waugh put Rangers ahead. Campbell gave Waugh the opening and his shot bounced out of Cox's reach off a defender. Sharkie flashed a superb cross into the goalmouth, but both Campbell and Anderson failed to get to it. Sharkie was playing well down the left and it was from one off his crosses that Campbell put Rangers 3-1 ahead. Chirnside retaliated and Yourston brought off two good saves from Hush. However, Rangers broke quickly down the right; Waugh centred nicely; Walls let the ball run on, and Blythe headed home. Sharkie then eluded the Chirnside defence, but his shot was saved in style by Cox at the foot of the post. Cox came to the fore again with good saves from Campbell and Waugh but was beaten by Anderson's shot which struck the post on its way into the net. Near the finish, Yourston brought off a great save from Marshall's close-range shot as both teams battled to the end.

23. Berwick Rangers advanced to the semi-final stage of the ESFA Qualifying Cup with an exceptional performance in the second round at Raid Stane Park, Galashiels. Berwick's success was notable since they were playing a team containing six players with Scottish League First Division experience, whereas the Rangers' team included several local players. Rangers were without Waugh at outside right, but Kerr, a young Edinburgh player, took his place and fitted in nicely. Gala were unlucky not to take the lead from the kick-off with Robinson missing narrowly. Gala continued to have the better of the early exchanges and Pratt had hard luck with a 30-yard drive. Berwick launched several attacks, but the Fairydean keeper was not seriously tested. A little later, Sharkie missed a fine opportunity when he had only Gardiner to beat from close range, however, a minute later, Blythe beat the keeper with a well-struck shot to open the scoring. Gala replied and Carruthers shot over the bar from close in. Yourston then saved well from Pratt and Robinson. Just before the interval Pratt failed by inches to level the score. On play, the home side were unlucky to be a goal down at the interval and they started the second half aggressively. Yourston was applauded when he saved brilliantly from Johnstone and Burns in quick succession. Despite pressing hard, Gala were out of luck in front of goal. Rangers took up the running with Sharkie and White both going close. At the other end, Carruthers set up Robinson, who nearly beat Yourston with a high shot. Berwick then broke quickly, and Anderson extended the lead with a close-range shot. Shortly after, Sharkie scored a third and with five minutes remaining White got a fourth at which point Gala, accepting their defeat, fell away badly.

30. Berwick Rangers reached the final of the East of Scotland qualifying Cup for the second successive season after beating Duns 3-2 in the semi-final at Hawthorn Park but should have won by a much greater margin. Over 300 supporters travelled from Berwick to watch. Duns relied on the same team which beat Chirnside United the previous week except for Burns who played at left half in place of Piercy. The Berwick defence remained intact, but changes were made to the forward line with Sharp leading the attack, White out on the right and Sharkie on the left. The game started some 17 minutes late. Duns won the toss and elected to kick in the town direction and with wind advantage. Both teams meant business from the start as play swung from one end to the other in a remarkable short space of time. However, Duns did not show the same thrust in front of goal as the Rangers did and gradually fell back into defence. Swan was well tested by Anderson's close-range header and Rangers missed another opportunity when Blythe blazed over from ten yards when it looked easier score. Sharp fared better with a shot double Blythe's distance which flew past the stranded Swan and into the back of the net on 33 minutes. Play was even up to the interval, but the opening exchanges in the second half went in favour of Berwick. Swan had to look smart to deal with shots from Sharp and White, while Anderson hit the crossbar with a fierce shot before the danger was cleared. Duns raised the siege on their goal and Scoular broke through Berwick defence to equalise with a well-taken goal on the hour. However, the teams were not long on level terms as Anderson put Rangers back in front just five minutes later. Berwick's third goal was scored by Blythe from the penalty spot. In a Berwick raid, Sharp was fouled by Middlemass and Blythe made no mistake with his shot from the spot. It now seamed all over bar the shouting, but with eight minutes remaining a slip up by Wilson and Hall let Scoular through again and he beat Yourston with a simple shot to give the home side a glimmer of hope. However, Rangers more than held their own and finished worthy winners.


7. A crowd of over 2000 turned out to watch the third round of the SFA Qualifying Cup against Gala Fairydean at Shielfield Park. In view of Berwick's win at Galashiels two weeks previous many expected a Rangers win; however, whilst Rangers were out of luck, they were beaten by a faster and better team. Gala were quick off the mark and left Berwick standing with two goals within the first five minutes. The final score might have looked different, however, had Sharp not struck the goalposts twice with free kicks from just outside the box; Blythe had not missed a penalty and Sharkie not blazed over the bar from an advantageous position. The visiting forwards were allowed far too much latitude in the opening minutes and scarcely three minutes had gone when Burns ran in to score. A minute later, Pratt scored another with the Berwick defence all at sea. Charlie Pearson's slowness was responsible for the first, and Wilson and Hall for the second. Gala went further ahead midway through the half when C. Pearson handled in the area and from the resultant penalty Sherlaw beat Yourston with a forceful shot. A few minutes later, Gala scored again. Pratt, breaking away down the left, played the ball to Burns, who was unmarked and had the easy task of placing the ball into the net. Sharp the struck the upright from a free kick and Rangers were unlucky a minute later when a cross from Sharpe presented Rogers with an enviable opportunity which he blazed over the bar. Gala were not the same team in the second half and Rangers made the most of the situation. Within three minutes Anderson scored following a neat pass from Sharkie. Continuing to press, Sharp tried a long shot which Gardiner turned round the post and did likewise a few minutes later from a T. Pearson shot. Rangers scored a second when Blythe put over a cross to C. Pearson, who headed towards goal and Gardiner let the ball slip through his hands above his head and into the net. Pearson had the ball in the net a few minutes later, but he was ruled offside. Berwick's chance to pull the score closer came when Blythe was awarded a penalty after being charged improperly when running in on goal. However, taking the kick himself, he sent the ball flying over the crossbar.

14. Berwick Rangers took the points against Jed Arts, but despite the 5-2 scoreline, they did not give a very convincing display. The victory could be put down to the inclusion of Johnny Campbell, the player who "retired" two seasons ago. Playing in the centre forward position, which the club had difficulty in filling, he played a waiting game and notched three smartly taken goals. The Artisans took the honours in the early stages of the game as Rangers took time to settle. After just four minutes the visitors took the lead when a clever move down the left created an opening from which McDowell scored from close in. It took Rangers until the 25th minute to equalise when Sharkie ended a neat run with a high cross which Campbell headed into the net. Rangers took the lead shortly after when Campbell beat the advancing Duffy to an Anderson cross. Within two minutes Rangers increased their lead when Campbell played Blythe through on goal and he rounded Duffy before shooting into an empty net. Rangers took up the running at the start of the second half and within three minutes Anderson headed a fourth goal following a corner. Anderson was unlucky shortly after when Burdon cleared his shot off the line with Duffy out of his goal. Wilson then broke upfield for the visitors, beating four men on his way, to beat Yourston with a soft shot. Jed Arts were unlucky when McDonald hit the upright and Mullen shot past with only Yourston to beat. However, Blythe made the opening for Rangers' fifth when he ran in on goal; Duffy pushed his shot past the post, but Campbell was on hand and secured his hat trick from a difficult angle. Duffy brought off a clever save from Anderson but was rather lucky in clearing a shot by Campbell as Rangers pressed until the end.

21. Rangers continued their winning ways with a 3-2 victory at Duns in the second round of the Border Cup. Although Rangers established a two-goal lead at the interval, they had to fight until the finish to reach the next round. Berwick did not field the advertised team as Campbell, who was again to lead the forwards, did not appear and his place was taken by Hush of Berwick Hibs, whilst newcomer McPherson from Edinburgh played in defence. Rain had fallen just before kick-off, making the pitch slippery and the ball heavy. Duns were top dogs in the opening half and the Berwick defence had to work hard to keep them out. However, late in the half, a cross from the Berwick right found Blythe in a good position and he lobbed the ball over Swan to open the scoring. Shortly after, Anderson picked up a cross from the left and the home side were two down. Duns retaliated strongly. Yourston saved well from Jeffrey and Murray went close with a shot just past the post. Rangers had the advantage of a slight breeze in the second half, but there was little difference between the sides in the early stages with both keepers being called upon in turn. Swan saved a certain goal when he flung himself at the feet of Hush as the latter prepared to shoot. Duns raised the hopes of their supporters when Greenhill took advantage of a lapse of concentration in the Berwick defence when he ran through to score on the hour. Duns kept up the pressure and deservedly drew level when Arundel played his way through the Berwick defence before beating Yourston with a low shot. The game looked good for a draw, but a long forward pass found Kerr well placed in front of the home goal. Kerr had to work hard to control the greasy ball and looked to have used his hand in the process, but the referee waved play on. Swan dived low to stop the ball, but it slipped from his grasp and was met by Anderson, who had little else to do other than net it. The Duns players surrounded the referee in protest, but he adhered to his decision and Rangers were through to the next round.

28. Rangers gained another two league points at the expense of Peebles Rovers, the only previous unbeaten team in the East of Scotland League, by two goals to one. Blythe opened the scoring in the second half; Walls with a brilliant run put them two ahead before Watson pulled a goal back for Peebles. Conditions at Shielfield Park were atrocious to say the least and only a handful of spectators turned out to watch. Rangers showed one change from the team that beat Duns the previous week, Tommy Pearson being off injured, and his place taken by Charlton of Berwick Hibs. Peebles won the toss and kicked uphill with the wind in their favour. Rain fell in torrents and the players could hardly follow the flight of the ball. Rangers played remarkably well against such conditions and Anderson was unlucky to see his low shot turned past the post by Turnbull. Peebles did not seem to be able to keep their feet so well as the Rangers and they failed to beat Yourston despite several dangerous attacks. Conditions remained much the same in the second half. Peebles were unlucky when a shot from Cowan found Yourston flapping, but fortunately for Berwick the ball struck the upright and was cleared. Blythe opened the scoring with a long-range shot and a minute later Rangers were unlucky not to be further ahead. Sharp sent in a shot which Turnbull knocked against the bar and the in-rushing Hush could only head it inches over instead of the empty net. Walls did not miss his opportunity when he beat several opponents in a mazy 20-yard run and finished off with a shot which gave Turnbull no earthly chance. Rangers never looked back after this. Hush should have put them further ahead, but he was too late in shooting and Turnbull smothered his shot. Peebles got a gift goal near the end when Waterson looked to be offside when he received a pass, but he ran on unchallenged and sent the ball past Yourston and into the net.


4. Mossend Swifts from West Calder were the opponents in the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at Hawthorn Park, Duns, where Berwick Rangers retained the cup for the second year running with a 2-0 victory. Rangers showed only one change to their team with T. Pearson returning to the side after injury replacing Charlton. The opening half-hour was played in a typical end-to-end cup-tie fashion. Rangers were playing the better football and were unlucky when Kerr's cross from the left hit the Mossend keeper and the inrushing Hush just failed to connect with the loose ball before Turnbull got back in time to clear. The first half was drawing rapidly to a close when Sharkie broke down the wing and sent over to Anderson, who cleverly tricked Turnbull before giving Dickson little chance with his parting shot to put Berwick ahead. Play in the opening stages of the second half did not reach the standard given in the first. Yourston was seldom troubled in the Berwick goal, this being largely due to the hard work done by McPherson and Sharp. Rangers should have added a second to their account when following a corner by Kerr, Anderson sent in a terrific shot which cannoned off the underside of the Mossend crossbar. However, a second goal came shortly after when Hush ran through on goal. Turnbull and Lumsden converged on him and brought him down heavily in the penalty box. Hush took the resultant spot kick himself and made no mistake. Play deteriorated in the closing stages, but Rangers had a deserved lead and hung gamely onto it to lift the cup, or so they thought. Mossend lodged a protest at the end on the grounds that Hush had played for Chirnside United in the earlier rounds of the competition and in consequence the cup was not presented until the protest was heard by the committee of the ESFA. It was four weeks later when Rangers finally got their hands on the silverware. At a meeting of the ESFA in Edinburgh on November 23rd, it was stated that Mossend's protest was only verbal and as they had not put it in writing there was little the committee could do about it and the cup was therefore handed to the Rangers' representatives.

11. Back to League business, Rangers continued their winning ways with victory over Coldstream at Home Park by the odd goal in three. A draw would have been a more fitting result as on the run of play Rangers did the attacking in the first half with the reverse being the order of things in the second. However, it was Coldstream who took the lead on 20 minutes. Following a short period of pressure, Jimmy Bryson took a shot at goal; his shot lacked enough sting but luckily his brother Frank was in the right place to get a hold of the ball and guide it into the net. Berwick applied more pressure, keeping Coldstream in their own half, and the equaliser eventually came when Sharkie sent over a neat centre from which Blythe headed past Curran. Just before the interval, the home keeper was lucky to clear an Anderson effort, whilst in practically the next minute F. Bryson nearly beat Yourston at the other end with a header. Coldstream showed up better in the second half, but repeated chances were lost by offside infringements. Twice, J. Bryson came within an ace of scoring, Yourston on the latter occasion being lucky to clear. However, against the run of play, Rangers took the lead when Wells sent in a long shot from midfield which totally deceived Curran. Play to the end was fast and furious as Coldstream tried hard for the leveller. It nearly came with just three minutes remaining when J. Bryson ended a good move with a shot that hit the upright and rebounded out of play and Rangers held on to win.

18. Rangers moved into third spot in the League table after a deserved 4-2 win over Selkirk at a wind and rain swept Shielfield. Berwick showed one change from the previous week with Spence, an Edinburgh player, who had previous English league experience, taking the injured Pearson's place. Selkirk were unchanged from the team that had just beaten Gala Fairydean 4-1 in the Border Cup. The opening quarter was confined mainly to the Selkirk half. However, against the run of play the visitors took the lead. The ball was hit towards the Berwick goal, where the defence was slow to reacted and Tranter, slipping through, sent the ball into the corner of the net with Yourston looking forlornly on. Selkirk's lead was short-lived as Rangers forced two quick corners from which Hush levelled the score from the second. A few minutes later, Blythe gained the lead for Berwick when he headed home a Hush cross. Following a spell of pressure on the home goal, Weddell broke down the right and from his pin-point cross Blythe headed in Rangers' third. Walls was carried off the field after colliding with one of the Selkirk defenders and did not return. However, the ten men were quite undeterred and less than a minute after Walls' forced departure, Hush ran through to notch Rangers' fourth. Owing to fading light, the referee did not allow the usual interval. Selkirk now had wind advantage but could do little against the stubborn Berwick defence. Robertson was unlucky not to beat Yourston with a shot which went narrowly past. At the other end, Morgan foiled Sharkie's chance of notching a goal. The same player had another shot headed off the line by Adam a minute or two later. After a spell of sustained pressure, the visitors scored in a crowded goalmouth when C. Laing forced the ball past Yourston. Play in the closing stages lost interest as darkness fell. With 15 minutes remaining, it was difficult to see the ball, and by full time it was practically impossible to distinguish the players. Several players appealed to the referee to close play, but he did not heed their protest and played on until time up.

25. Berwick Rangers suffered their first League defeat of the season when they travelled to Gala Fairydean, the only other team unbeaten team. Rangers, however, did not field their full team. Weddell, Anderson and Sharp were all unable to travel due to work commitments and their places were taken by Watson (Berwick Albion), L-Cpl Brown (Depot KOSB), while Spence took Sharp's position and T. Pearson resumed at left half. Gala opened brightest and held Berwick on the back-foot. However, in the 10th minute and against the run of play, Watson sent in a speculative cross which Gardiner failed to hold and it found its way into the net. Gala rallied and again applied pressure with Blair testing Yourston. The home side were unfortunate to lose the services of Harley due a leg injury, but they maintained the pressure and Johnston drove through the equaliser. The Berwick goal then had some narrow escapes. Johnston grazed the crossbar, and several corners were forced, but Rangers packed their goal, and the dangers was cleared. Gala started the second half as they did the first – on the attack. Sherlaw shot narrowly wide, and Pratt rattled the crossbar. Rangers got a look-in and Hush tested Gardiner. However, Gala took a deserved lead when Hamilton drove a low shot past Yourston. Berwick worked hard for the equaliser, but Gala generally held the upper hand and Johnston made the points safe a few minutes later when he added a third from a free kick.


2. Berwick Rangers were presented with the ESFA Qualifying Cup on the pitch before the League match against Vale of Leithen at Shielfield Park on December 2nd. Rangers had only themselves for losing a point in a 3-3 draw. They played a tight passing game, a tactic which the visitors exploited, and it was not until the final ten minutes that Berwick came into their stride. Rangers were first to impress. A fine move, started by Sharp, finished with Robson making a full length save to deny Anderson. However, against the run of play and in only their second attack, Vale opened the scoring when T. Blair took a long shot at goal, Yourston failed to gather, and Adams put the loose ball into the net. Berwick retaliated but Vale went further ahead when Sterricks scored with a well-struck shot after latching on to a cross from the left. Rangers pulled a goal back just before the interval when Hush broke through on his own, and when tackled he selflessly played Watson through to score. Rangers were on top early in the second half and Anderson was unlucky with a first-class shot which Robson did well to save. Though constantly dangerous, Berwick gained no material advantage and fell further behind when Sime was allowed free scope to shoot at goal while Wilson and McPherson stopped and claimed offside. Berwick pressed strong and reduced the lead when Watson threw himself at a cross from the left and steered the ball past Robson. With ten minutes remaining, Watson paved the way for the equaliser when he sent in a hard shot which Robson caught, but before the keeper could clear Hush charged him and the ball into the net. Blythe had the ball in the net a few minutes later, but the goal was disallowed for a foul on Robson. Despite constant pressure, Rangers failed to get the winner and had to settle for a share of the points.

9. Duns were well beaten in a League encounter at Shielfield Park despite the two-goal difference in a 6-4 Rangers win. Rangers ought to have score more goals as on two occasions the crossbar came to the visitors' rescue. Duns never looked like winning and it was only in the closing stages, when Berwick had slackened off, that they reduced the leeway. Rangers were without Sharkie, his place on the wing being taken by Johnny Campbell. Duns were a goal up within four minutes when Burns played the ball to Scoullar, who was obviously offside, and ran on to score. Rangers pressed strongly after this setback and Swan had to look sharp to clear a shot from Watson. Rangers had a let-off when Yourston rushed out to clear and miskicked, but luckily McPherson was on hand to clear. At the other end, Swan dived at Watson's feet to stop his shot, but a swift return by Walls saw Blythe turn the ball into the net. Play at this point was even, although Rangers were more dangerous and took the lead with a lucky goal. Sharp sent in a shot from almost the halfway line and Swan, thinking it was going past, made no effort to save and was surprised when it landed in the net. Swan saved a certain goal when he fell at Watson's feet just as he was about to shoot. However, Swan was at fault when another soft goal came Berwick's way. The keeper left his goal to meet a long shot from Sharp, but dropped the ball and Hush shot into an empty net. Duns attacked and Yourston saved a close-range shot from Arundel. However, with only three minutes to the interval, Hush worked his way into a shooting position and his shot was only partially cleared by Swan, and Watson had an easy job to put Rangers further ahead. With the aid of the slope, Rangers pressed early in the second half. Watson missed badly as did Hush on two occasions. Duns attacked and Scoullar reduced the lead with a superb long-range drive. Rangers took up the running and Hush went close before securing the fifth when he rose highest in a crowded goalmouth to head home. Shortly after, Campbell broke down the left, but was brought down and from the free kick 30 yards out, Pearson drove the ball above Swan's hands and into the net. Rangers continued to press, and Hush struck the crossbar with Swan well beaten. Swan saved well from Hush a few minutes later before Jeffrey tricked his way through the Berwick defence to reduce the lead. Sharp had a long drive, which beat Swan, but struck the crossbar and was cleared. In the closing minutes, Duns again broke through the Berwick defence and with only Yourston to beat, Greenhill received and reduced to lead to just two.

16. Berwick Rangers hit six for the second week running, this time in the semi-final of the Border Cup against Chirnside United at Shielfield Park. Chirnside took the lead when Rangers had only nine men on the field after Anderson and Campbell were late in turning out. A. Tillbrook broke down the right and hit a long shot at goal and although Hush, who was deputising for the injured Yourston, got his hands to the ball it went over the line. However, within a minute, Walls crossed neatly for G. Hush to equalise with a hard shot and shortly after Rangers took the lead. Watson crossed to Blythe and he shot at goal from far out. There was not much power behind it, but Cox failed to judge the flight of the ball and it landed in the net. Campbell and Hush both went close before the latter had a goal disallowed for a foul on Cox. Keeping up the pressure, Rangers forced a corner from which Hush gave Cox no chance with a shot through a ruck of players. After a quick Chirnside attack, which W. Hush did well to clear, G. Hush netted again but was given offside. Hush was again to the fore with a point-blank drive, but Cox was in the right position and cleared. Hush then headed a perfectly legitimate goal, but the referee again ruled offside. Cox had plenty to do with Rangers consistently on the attack and they should have added to their score before the interval. Playing downhill in the second half, Chirnside pressed, but Rangers soon got the upper hand and Watson should have increased the lead. Cox was to the fore again with several fine saves but was lucky when he was well beaten by a Campbell drive which flash inches wide of the post. Chirnside got a look-in and a shot from Connelly struck the upright before being cleared. However, Rangers were playing the more constructive football and thoroughly deserved their fourth when Blythe crossed to Hush, and he headed home from the edge of the box. Chirnside then forced two quick corners and from the second Vier headed into the net. The visitors continued to attack and Tillbrook scored his second of the afternoon to reduce the lead to a single goal. Rangers took up the running and after sustained pressure Hush headed a Blythe cross past Cox. In the final few minutes, play hung around the Chirnside goal and before the ball could be cleared Watson emerged from the bunch of players to make the final score 6-3.

25. After a poor display in a Christmas Day friendly against Spittal Rovers at Shielfield, Berwick Rangers were beaten 6-3. Rangers fielded a team well below full strength. Yourston, McPherson, Anderson and Campbell were all unavailable and their places were respectively taken by W. Hush (Berwick Albion), Pte Cunningham (Depot KOSB) and Dryden (Tweedside Villa). Spittal had Piercy off injured and Gladstone (Scremerston) was brought in. Rangers took the lead in the first minute when Dryden sent over a cross from the left from which Blythe beat Johnston. It was a start that gave quite an opposite view on the remainder of the game. Crombie headed home an equaliser two minutes later and he added a second shortly after when Gladstone played him through. The Berwick defence allowed the Spittal forwards too much room and Longbone increased the lead and Crombie added a fourth with a close-range shot. Hush reduced the arrears just before the interval. In the second half, Rangers played more like themselves, but the speedy Spittal wingers could always beat the defence and Longbone put Rovers further ahead with his second of the afternoon following a corner. Rangers continued to play fancy football, which got them nowhere. However, Hush scored from the penalty spot after W. Moffat had handled in the area. Spittal were awarded a penalty in the closing minutes after Gladstone had been upended in the box and Crombie stepped up to score his fourth and Rovers' sixth.

30. Taking into consideration that Rangers were without three of their selected players, they did well to hold a Queen's Park Hampden IX to a 2-2 draw in a holiday friendly at Shielfield Park. Charlton (Berwick Hibs) filled the right back position for McPherson; Dryden (Tweedside Villa) and C. Pearson filled Campbell's and Blythe's positions, respectively. Rangers scored first through Dryden, who tricked his way through the visiting defence before shooting diagonally into the goal. The pace of the game was fast with both ends visited in turn. Yourston, on his return from injury, was called upon several times to clear his lines. However, Davie equalised with a fine shot which Yourston just managed to reach but failed to clear. Shortly after, Davie put the visitors into the lead when Yourston stopped his first shot but not the rebound. On the change of ends, Rangers seemed to play better and held the upper hand throughout the second half. Dryden and Sharp both went close before the latter equalised from a well-taken free kick. The visitors goal underwent heavy pressure until the end as Berwick looked for the winner with Walls, Hush and Watson all going close in turn.


6. Rangers did not deserve to be so heavily defeated when they visited Peebles YMCA for an East of Scotland League match. They had as much of the game as Peebles, but instead of shooting they tried to walk the ball into the net. Berwick had advantage of the strong wind in the first half but could make no impression on the home defence. Spence headed narrowly wide, and Hush tested Robertson with a hard shot, but the keeper cleared. Peebles began to press at length and were rewarded for their efforts when Melrose took the ball up the left and crossed for Irvine to run in and score. In another breakaway, Hamilton received the ball in a good position, but with Yourston outstretched on the ground he shot over the bar. Rangers then pressed but a series of corners was their only reward with the swirling wind making good football impossible. Peebles dominated play in the second half and after hitting the upright Melrose scored twice in quick succession. Berwick retaliated and Robertson was forced to make a superb one-handed save to deny Blythe. Stewart then added a fourth for the YMCA and ten minutes from time Hamilton finished a solo run by scoring a fifth. With time fast running out, Hamilton and Irvine increased the lead to seven before a melee took place between Rangers' Watson and Hailstones of Peebles who were both ordered off with two minutes remaining.

13. Rangers returned from Selkirk with both League points despite having a weak team on the field. McPherson, Sharp, Watson and Dryden were missing, and their places taken by Jimmy Crombie and M. Patterson, both Spittal Rovers, along with D. Wilson (Berwick Albion) and S. Charlton (Berwick Hibs). Rangers were hard pressed in the first half, but in the second they had much the better of the exchanges and fully deserved their 3-2 win. Selkirk played with the sun and were quickly on the attack and Yourston brought off a brilliant save at point-blank range to deny Brown. A few minutes later, a fast shot from Laing forced Yourston to concede a corner from which Johnstone netted the opening goal. Straight from the kick-off, the same player added a second without a single Berwick player touching the ball. Rangers then launched their first serious attack. Hush had a glorious chance to open their account but shot weakly past. Morgan was then well tested by shots from Blythe and Anderson but had to admit defeat to an 18-yard shot by Hush. At the other end, Brown strove hard to increase the home side's lead, but Patterson and Charlton were defending well. Just before half-time a hard shot from Brown skimmed the crossbar. Selkirk continued to attack at the start of the second half but were up against a stern defence. Rangers took up the running and Hush got the equaliser. Berwick were later awarded a penalty and Hush stepped up to secure his hat trick from the spot. Rangers had a big let-off just on time when a cross from Laing saw Thomson miss the ball completely with only Yourston to beat.

20. Chirnside United were second best throughout the League encounter at Shielfield Park. The 3-0 scoreline may suggest otherwise, but Rangers had at least 90 per cent of the game. Rangers showed just one change from the previous week with Longbone of Spittal Rovers replacing Crombie. The visitors arrived with only ten men and the services of Weatherburn (Berwick Albion) had to be sought from the crowd. The match was 20 minutes late in starting, but the light was good, and the conditions ideal. Rangers had the aid of the slope and the strong sun at their backs in the first half and took up the running from the start. Cox was early in action, saving from Anderson. Longbone, Hush and Blythe all had good efforts and after Hush had struck the crossbar, Blythe hit the rebound over with the goal gaping. It was all Berwick at this point, and they deserved to take the lead when Wilson slipped the ball through for Hush to run on and score. Rangers ought to have been at least three up at the interval, but Cox was in good form. Sharp brough Cox to his knees with a great shot and a few minutes later the keeper slipped in saving from Hush but made a quick recovery and cleared on the line. Anderson then had a great chance but blazed over the bar from just two yards out. Chirnside came more into the game in the second half, but Yourston was on his game and the visitors could make little headway. At the other end, Hush gave Cox a hard time with a fast drive. Longbone hit a good shot forward which beat Cox, but Lough got back in time to clear. During another Berwick attack, Johnston handled and from the spot Hush put Rangers two up. The Berwick goal almost fell when Charlton let the ball go past him, but Yourston ran out to clear. Yourston again came to the rescue with a well-timed save to deny Johnston. Longbone was unlucky to see his shot cleared off the line by Lough with Cox beaten, but near the end, Anderson shot goalward from within a scrimmaged and the ball glanced off C. Pearson and into the net to complete the scoring.

27. Berwick Rangers returned with both points after a roughly fought encounter at Jedburgh. Both teams were guilty of playing the man rather than the ball but the Artisans more so than the Rangers. However, Rangers were worthy of their 2-1 win as they had the better of the exchanges. At the game's end there was a demonstration by some supporters against several of the Berwick players and blows were struck. Play in the first half was uninteresting with each team making end-to-end runs without result, mainly due to being caught offside. The half was well through before either keeper was really tested. For the Artisans, Reid and Gallagher each had good shots, but Yourston held the first and fisted the other over the bar. Orr of the Artisans was ordered off for challenging a decision by the referee. He remonstrated but was shepherded off by the home officials. The first half ended goalless, but Rangers took the lead shortly after the restart when the home defence was caught napping, and Hush ran through to score. Ten minutes later, Hush scored another easy goal, much to the annoyance of the home support. Bell did some good work for Jed Arts, but had to wait until near the end for any return when he reduced the leeway from a free kick.


3. A goal in the first minute and a deciding goal in the last, were just two of the highlights in the clash between Berwick Rangers and Gala Fairydean in the second round of the King Cup at Shielfield Park. In the opening minute Gala swept upfield on the right; McPherson failed to stop Blair and he sent over a high cross which Yourston misjudged and to the keeper's surprise it landed in the net. Rangers then controlled play to a great extent. Longbone, Hush and Anderson tested Gardiner, but the keeper proved a stumbling block. Berwick's equaliser was bound to come, however, and Anderson was the scorer. From 10 yards out he struck the crossbar before beating Gardiner with the rebound. Rangers were obviously not content with equal terms and they attacked in true cup-tie spirit. Hush sent in a shot which Gardiner did well to turn past the post. Hush then Hit another shot which hit the upright; it rebounded with force and Longbone rushed forward to give Berwick the lead. Rangers should have added another two to their tally had Hush not missed a sitter from 10-yards out, with only Gardiner to beat, and then headed a high cross from Sharp against the crossbar. Berwick certainly took the first half honours, but close on the interval Tranter ran through to level the score from close range. Gala opened the second half strongest. However, Watson failed miserably with a shot over the bar with just Yourston to beat. At the other end, Longbone was as guilty when Hush played him through, but he played the ball straight into the keeper's arms. Hush was unlucky when he put a Wilson cross just wide and shortly after he missed an open goal with Gardiner out of position. The visitors were certainly lucky to still be on level terms. Hush beat Gardiner in a one-on-one for possession of the ball; Hush won but King got back just in time to stop the ball from entering the net. Hush then became provider when he sent over a perfect cross for Blythe to hit only for Gardiner to do the best thing possible and fist it over the bar. Hush was again thwarted by King when he found himself in front of a goal without a keeper, and when he sent in what appeared to be the finishing shot, King's head proved to be in a convenient position to clear. Rangers were certainly out to avoid a trip to Raid Stane Park and the crowd were wondering if Gala's luck would hold out. However, Berwick were bombarding the Gala goal when a clearance was intercepted by Sharp about 30 yards out and he shot through a crowded goalmouth to leave Gardiner helpless and put Rangers into the next round.

10. Vale of Leithen took full points with a 4-0 home win against Berwick Rangers on February 10th. With the aid of a strong wind, Vale attacked almost continually during the first half and took the chances which came their way. Berwick showed up better in the second period, but Vale still had the bulk of the play and deserved their win on the day's play. The first promising move came from the Vale left, but Adams was pulled up for offside. Rangers pressed but Vale soon took up the running and took the lead through Faulds after Sterricks had hit the woodwork. Again, Berwick pressed but without return and Vale doubled their lead when T. Blair scored with a fin shot following a corner. For a while, Rangers used the offside trap successfully, but on one occasion they were caught short; the defence stopped and claimed, but Adams ran on to make it three for the home side just before the interval. On resuming, Berwick were quickly on the attack and Sharp missed narrowly with a free kick. At the other end, Yourston saved well from McCafferty and Sterricks. End-to-end play followed, but the Vale forwards were more prominent. Vale put the Berwick goal under immense pressure in the final stages and, in the last minute, Sime scored a fourth from a McCafferty cross.

17. Stormy scenes were witnessed at Shielfield Park at the finish of the third round King Cup-tie against Clerwood Amateurs because of the referee's decisions. At the final whistle, several spectators tried to get to the referee, but the players and Rangers' officials formed a cordon around him, and he managed to reach the pavilion. The referee had made a bad mistake when he awarded and then disallowed a Berwick goal. His decision was questioned by the visiting team's defence, he consulted the Berwick linesman, who indicated a goal, and then he consulted the Clerwood linesman who did not agree. The referee the accepted the Clerwood linesman's opinion in preference to his own and disallowed the goal. The incident which raised the ire of the crowd took place in the first half. A shot was sent in and Clayton got his hands to it but could only push it up against the inside of the post, where it seemed to cross the goal-line before it was kicked clear. This was not the only bad decision, for all through the game Rangers were being pulled up for offences which did not look like offences. In the second half too, Anderson was deliberately fouled in the penalty area and in stumbling he kicked the ball past; yet claims for a penalty were ignored, and the referee awarded a corner! Had Berwick received fair judgment they would have been in the semi-final instead of having to replay the tie. From the kick-off, Rangers came close to scoring when Hush flicked the ball forward, but Clayton cleared. Clerwood pressed strongly but Yourston was not unduly troubled. At the other end, Longbone's powerful header was knocked against the bar by Clayton and Sharp, following up, struck the upright. Rangers were on top for most of the half, but shortly after the disallowed goal incident Clerwood took the lead against the run of play. Allan sent in a cross; Yourston could only touch it on, and Welsh sent in a long shot which curled into the net. The lead only lasted four minutes as Blythe placed a cross at the right height for Hush to head well out of Clayton's reach. Clerwood came a little more into the game, but Rangers did most of the pressing and should have taken the lead before they did. It was not until the very last kick of the half when Blythe played a cross to Longbone, who eluded Clayton and walked the ball into the net. In the second half, play was even. Yourston had to clear his lines on more than one occasion as Rangers seemed to be slackening off. Midway through the half, Clerwood got the equaliser when Smith broke through and scored with a long-range drive. Rangers were forced to up their game and Hush went close as did Anderson and Pearson. With time running out, Anderson was running through when he was fouled, but appeals for a penalty went unheard by the referee. Clerwood were a lucky team to get off with a draw.

24. Vale of Leithen won the Border Cup for a record eleventh time when they defeated Berwick Rangers 5-2 in the final at Ettrick Park, Selkirk on February 24th. Vale were holders of the trophy after Rangers had scratched to them in last season's final. Rangers were weakened through Sharp's absence from the team, with Charlton taking his place in a reshuffled line-up. Vale had the aid of the wind in the first half. Yourston brought off a great one-handed save to deny Sterricks, while Hush shot weakly past twice when in good position at the other end. Rangers had as much of the game as the Vale, but a lapse in concentration gave Vale the opportunity to take the lead. Faulds shot goalward and the ball was blocked but not cleared and Sterricks made no mistake with a well-hit shot. A minute later, McCafferty headed a high cross over Yourston's outstretched hands and into the net. Vale did not deserve to be two up at this stage, but they were. Rangers then had a spell of pressure. From Blythe's 18-yard shot Robson brought off a tremendous save. Anderson shot just over and a great run by Hush looked dangerous until Patterson cleared in clever if somewhat robust style. Berwick were unlucky to be two down at the interval. On the resuming, Rangers took up the attack, but it was not long before Vale gained the upper hand and Yourston had to make three saves in quick succession. Vale went further ahead after more slackness in the Berwick defence saw Adams receive in an awkward position, but he still had the time to turn and hit the ball neatly into the top corner. Things got worse a few minutes later when Adams sent out to McCafferty on the wing, and he cut in to score with a terrific drive. McCafferty missed with a similar drive a few minutes later. McCafferty was the means of Vale scoring a fifth when crossed with force; the ball struck Adams full in the face and rebounded into the net. Except for sporadic attacks, Rangers were never in the picture. Sterricks went close after tricking his way through the defence before Syme ran through and scored, but he handled on the way and the goal was disallowed. Near the end, Hush sent in a shot which Robson punched against the post and it rebounded back into play; Walls returned it and Watson, in trying to clear, put through his own goal. Two minutes later, Watson scored a second own goal in trying to clear as the match ended with Rangers attacking.


3. A welcomed return to form saw Berwick Rangers beat Coldstream 3-2 at Shielfield Park to keep level on points with first-placed Peebles Rovers in the hunt for the East of Scotland League Championship. The game was of a somewhat scrappy affair due to the wind, with good ball control out of the question, but Rangers just deserved their win. First half honours went to Berwick, but Coldstream were on top in the second. Rangers were without the services of Anderson and Sharp moved to fill his position with Boston of Spittal COB filling in at centre half. Rangers had the assistance of the wind in the first half. Curran conceded a corner from a high shot by Sharp and Longbone placed nicely for Sharp to head home the opening goal. Coldstream took up the running and from a free kick Tocher sent in a good shot which Yourston punched out, but Kerse fastened on to it and drove against the bar. Rangers had the better of the succeeding play and after three successive corners Wilson placed the last nicely; Hush got his head to it, turning it goalward and Blythe put the finishing touches to it. In the second half, Coldstream pressed with the wind and F. Bryson went close with a high shot that deflected off the top of the bar. Coldstream certainly knew where the goal lay and were not much off the mark with their shots, but Yourston was in good form and saved well from Tocher and the brothers Bryson. However, Hush combined well with Longbone and the centre eluded Curran, who had left his goal to intercept, and shot into an empty net to put Rangers three ahead. Coldstream were worthy of a goal and after some sustained pressure J. Bryson scored from close in with ten minutes remaining. They kept up the pressure and Yourston punched out a dropping shot, but F. Bryson chested the ball down and turned it into the net. Coldstream pressed until the end, but Berwick hung onto their now slender lead.

10. Berwick Rangers were by far the better team in the third-round replay of the King Cup at Clermiston, but they failed to press home their advantage against Clerwood Amateurs. Clerwood were unchanged, but Berwick strengthened their team with Morris, ex-Raith Rovers, Preston North End and a former Scottish internationalist, at centre half and Robertson, who had played with Falkirk last season, at inside right. The ground was in bad condition and with a strong wind blowing neat football was out of the question. Clerwood opened brightest and had several good chances to take the lead. Stephen forced Yourston to save at the second attempt with a shot from the edge of the box. Allan grazed the crossbar and a shot from Quinn went narrowly wide with Yourston beaten. However, Rangers took the lead when Robertson broke down the right and lobbed over a high ball, that Clayton failed to judge, leaving Longbone to touch the ball into an empty net. The Amateurs were not long in arrears, however, for during a raid Yourston failed to hold a shot by Allan and Stephen hit the loose ball home. In another Berwick attack, Hush played Robertson through on goal, but he flashed his shot inches wide of the post. Rangers played Clerwood offside whenever they looked dangerous and up to the interval the home side pressed but were unable to penetrate the Berwick defence. Rangers played uphill in the second half and made full use of the wind, but the Clerwood defence played well and kept the scoring down. Against the run of play, Stephen put Clerwood in the lead. Rangers continued to press, but it was fifteen minutes from the end that Hush beat Clayton with a superbly hit shot to level the score at 2-2. Berwick continued to have the lion's share of the play, but with no further scoring a second replay was required.

17. It was third time unlucky for Berwick Rangers in the second replay at the neutral venue of Whitestone Park, Peebles. Rangers did not include Morris and his place was taken by Sharp. Hush was also absent from the team with Adamson filling in. The kick-off was delayed owing to the late arrival of two of the Berwick players and Rangers kicked off with only nine men. To make matters worse, the first half was played in a blinding snowstorm. Clerwood pressed first and Yourston had to clear a hard shot from Stephen and later the keeper had to leave his goal to clear the situation when the same player broke through on goal. Although they were still without the services of Anderson and Pearson, whose car had broken down at Gordon, Berwick were putting up a good show. Robertson sent in a high drive which appeared to deceive Clayton, but the ball bounced off the top of the crossbar. The Berwick absentees took the field after the game had been in progress for almost half-an-hour. With the side up to full strength, Berwick applied considerable pressure and Clayton was called into action on several occasions to clear. However, with ten minutes of the first half remaining, Clerwood took the lead. Stephen broke through the Berwick defence and scored with a shot Yourston touched but could not save. Up to the interval, Rangers replied strongly and the Clerwood goal had two close calls. Berwick continued to press early in the second half. Clerwood then countered and Stephen went close. Play in this half, as in the first, was evenly divided and both goals had close calls. Sharp sent a volley inches wide of the upright before a brisk spell of attacking football saw Clerwood go further ahead when Smith capped a fine move down the right by beating Yourston with a long shot. Shortly after, Yourston had to leave his goal to clear. Walls tried to raise the siege, but his shot lacked power. Clayton was forced to throw himself full length to save from Blythe and Longbone forced the keeper to fist a fast shot over the bar. However, Smith made Berwick's exit from the competition a formality when he added a third for Clerwood just on time.

24. Berwick Rangers slipped to third place in the East of Scotland League table after a drab goal-less draw at Duns. There was little between the teams in the first half exchanges with each end being visited in turn. Sinclair forced Yourston into making a fine save. A shot by Anderson hit the upright with Swan beaten, then Yourston was the busiest of the two keepers when first Learmonth had a great chance to make a name for himself, but missed from close in, and Jeffrey hit the crossbar. Rangers were more in the game at the start of the second half, but Duns stood their ground and gradually worked their way into the game. Scoular tried hard to outwit the Berwick defence in which Sharp proved to be the stumbling block. In the final stages, Rangers took a firmer grip on the game, but Swan and the home defence were giving nothing away and the end came with the scoreline goal-less and the points shared.

31. Berwick Rangers got back to winning ways with a 3-1 victory over a weakened Chirnside United side at Home Park. Owing to injuries, Chirnside were forced to field three Berwickshire juniors. However, the game was fast and entertaining with never a dull moment. Rangers attacked from the kick-off and the home goal twice had narrow escapes. In a Chirnside attack, Muir had a goal disallowed for offside before Yourston took the eye with a brilliant one-handed save from Veir. At the other end, Forman saved well from Blythe and Hush headed narrowly over. Muir, with no one to beat but Yourston failed badly and just on the interval Hush did likewise when he headed past the post following a well-placed Longbone cross. Play in the second half was even. Longbone opened the scoring for Berwick, but Muir equalised five minutes later with a first-timed shot from a Pearson free kick. The home keeper was applauded for a fingertip save from Longbone on the goal-line, but a minute later he had to admit defeat when Anderson scored after taking the ball off Pearson's foot. With five minutes remaining, Anderson scored a third for Berwick. It was not the last attacking move as Muir struck the Berwick crossbar with an overhead kick and Yourston punched over for an unproductive corner. Just on time, Forman cleared well from Anderson as Rangers finished the game on top to secure both points.


7. Rangers finished their home games with an easy 3-1 win over Gala Fairydean. It was atypical end of the season affair and although Rangers won the points easily, they should have scored far more goals. The game was so one sided in the first half that Yourston was only called upon four times. Rangers played better in the second half when they were kicking uphill, and Hush made amends for missing opportunities in the first half by notching two clever goals to complete his hat trick. Gala Came more into the game in this half, but Rangers had their measure, and they were never really a threat. At the kick-off, sleet and rain began to fall and continued throughout the game, making conditions miserable for both players and spectators alike. With the aid of the slope, Rangers attacked. Three corners in quick succession were forced and from the last they should have scored. Hush was erratic with two drives and later Anderson headed straight into the keeper's hands. Pearson came close to opening the scoring when he shot with Wright on the ground, but Gardiner was standing on the goal-line and kicked clear. Near the interval, the long-overdue goal came when Hush headed a high cross into the net. Gala fought back and Carruthers missed a great opportunity, but up to the interval Rangers remained on top. Gala pressed at the start of the second half, but within two minutes Hush put Berwick further ahead when he secured possession in midfield and dodged the defence before beating Wright with a stunning 20-yard shot. Pearson tested Wright, but the keeper saved from under the bar. At the other end, Yourston saved well at the foot of the post after a rare Gala attack. Rangers continued to press and with 15 minutes remaining Sharp sent Hush through with a long forward pass from which he beat Wright again to complete his hat trick. Gala came more into the game and following a free kick Johnston reduced the lead with a neat header. The visitors had another great chance shortly after when two forwards were left with only Yourston to beat, but neither of them could direct the ball into the net. Later exchanges were far from interesting and with the rain and sleet still falling the spectators were glad to see the game finish.

14. Leith Athletic fielded a strong eleven in the opening round of the East of Scotland Cup at Marine Gardens. Rangers started brightly and Hush missed a good chance following smart work by Anderson. However, the experience Leith had was soon evident and after Yourston had saved brilliantly from Piercy he had to admit defeat after just five minutes' play when a Meikleham pass enabled Young to score at close range. Two minutes later, McGillivray placed the ball for McPhee to drive home a well-placed left-footed shot for a second Leith goal. An injury to Reid after a collision with Ford reduced Rangers to ten men. However, Berwick were not confined to defence and for a spell they made a determined effort to improve their position. Robertson gave Watson a fight when he swung over a cross which the keeper palmed against the upright before it was hastily cleared. A few minutes later, McFarlane handled in the area and Berwick's reward seemed imminent, but Watson stopped Hush's spot kick with ease. Play up to the interval was even with ten-man Rangers holding their own. Berwick struggled away gamely in the second half. Luckily, Yourston was in top form and fisted a goal-bound effort from McPhee over the bar. Robinson missed a sitter and Meikleham too was a sinner as Leith pressed. Leith were then reduced to ten men when Ford was forced to retire just as Reid returned to the field for Berwick. With numerical advantage, Rangers began to press and Longbone had a golden chance in a one-on-one with the keeper but failed to put sufficient force behind his shot to beat Watson. At the other end, McPhee got clean through but missed and Young had the opportunity to put the home side further ahead but kicked the ground when a few yards from goal and Yourston saved. Rangers put in a great finish and Watson was lucky to save from Hush and Longbone, but Leith held on to face St Bernard's in the final.

28. The destination of the East of Scotland League championship was decided in the final game of the season at Peebles Rovers. A draw would allow Peebles Rovers to remain champions, whereas Berwick Rangers had to win. Rangers, who were without Sharp at centre half, attacked first but Peebles then threatened until a smart clearance by Watson cleared the danger. It was end-to-end football with Robertson going close and Turnbull did well to clear a Walls effort as Berwick pressed. Peebles responded with a brisk attack and after Yourston had saved smartly from Gillan, a long shot by Torrie just missed the target with Yourston beaten. A further spell of Peebles pressure brought the opening goal. Waterson sent the ball forward to Cochrane, who ran between the Berwick backs to score with a shot that went in off the crossbar. Five minutes later, Gillan just failed to turn a Torrie cross into the goal as Peebles looked to extend their lead. It came when a clever move down the wing saw Sked cross for Waterson to score with a shot Yourston was unable to reach. Rangers fought back and Robertson went close with a shot narrowly wide with Turnbull beaten and a few minutes later, the home keeper brought off a remarkable save to deny Hush. Five minutes into the second half, Peebles scored again, but offside came to Berwick's rescue. Turnbull made another fine save from Hush, who shot from point blank range. At the other end, Waterson hit the upright with Yourston beaten. Longbone and Robertson both went close before Berwick were reduced to ten men when Walls was sent off for arguing with the referee with ten minutes remaining. Shortly after, Pearson reduced the leeway direct from a free kick, but Although Rangers pressed until the end, it was a case of two little too late, and Peebles held on to the championship.

The season had been a mixture of triumphs and defeats. The team had played 35 games of which 19 were won, 7 drawn and 9 lost. Rangers had the distinction of re-winning the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, getting to the final of the Border Cup, advancing to the third round of the King Cup and finishing third in the East of Scotland League. On the financial side, Rangers were in serious trouble. It was reported at the AGM that liabilities totalled £215 18s 5d and assets £1 14s 10d. There had also been a drop of £134 on the season's gate receipts. However, the club had been in a worse position a few seasons back and the committee agreed to carry on in hope of reducing the debt and increasing supporter numbers.