1928/29: Title Defence


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 18 ESL A Corstorphine Amateurs L 0-4
25 ESL & EQC 1 H Clerwood Amateurs W 4-0
28 F H St Bernard's L 2-3
Sep 1 SQC 1 H Coldstream W 6-0
8 ESL & EQC 2 H Hawick United W 7-0
15 ESL A Peebles Rovers D 0-0
22 ESL & EQC SF H Murrayfield Amateurs L 2-3
29 SQC 3 H Dunkeld & Burnam W 4-0
Oct 6 ESL A Hawick United W 8-3
13 SQC 4 H Murrayfield Amateurs L 1-5
20 ESL & KC 1 A Gala Fairydean D 2-2
27 ESL H Peebles Rovers W 5-3
Nov 3 ESL & KC 1R H Gala Fairydean D 1-1
10 KC 1R2 N Gala Fairydean L 2-3
17 ESL H Edinburgh University W 5-2
24 ESL A Coldstream W 2-1
Dec 1 ESL A Duns D 0-0
8 ESL H Selkirk W 3-0
15 ESL H Duns W 4-1
25 ESL H Coldstream W 6-4
29 ESL A Civil Service Strollers D 1-1
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 12 ESL H Vale of Leithen W 3-1
19 SC 1 H Ayr United L 3-9
26 BC A Coldstream L 1-4
Feb 2 ESL A Selkirk W 2-1
9 ESL & ECC 1 H Edinburgh City L 2-3
23 ESL A Murrayfield Amateurs L 3-5
Mar 2 ESL H Corstorphine Amateurs W 3-2
9 ESL H Edinburgh University W 7-3
16 ESL A Clerwood Amateurs L 1-3
23 ESL H Leith Amateurs W 3-1
Apr 13 ESL A Edinburgh City L 1-4
20 ESL A Vale of Leithen D 2-2
27 ESL H Leith Amateurs W 7-2
29 ESL H Civil Service Strollers W 4-0
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Peebles Rovers 28 10 3 1 46 15 7 2 5 35 30 39
2 Berwick Rangers 28 11 1 2 58 23 5 5 4 30 29 38
3 Corstorphine Amateurs 27 9 1 3 51 26 5 3 6 39 28 32
4 Gala Fairydean 24 8 4 1 49 29 4 2 5 21 23 30
5 Clerwood Amateurs 26 7 0 6 39 29 7 2 4 29 26 30
6 Murrayfield Amateurs 17 7 0 1 25 12 6 2 1 26 18 28
7 Civil Service Strollers 23 7 3 2 25 10 5 0 6 27 31 27
8 Edinburgh City 27 6 2 6 37 27 5 3 5 28 34 27
9 Coldstream 23 6 2 4 40 25 4 3 4 33 30 25
10 Vale of Leithen 28 3 4 7 30 31 5 4 5 29 38 24
11 Edinburgh University 25 6 2 4 36 34 2 2 9 26 46 20
12 Duns 21 5 2 3 30 20 2 1 8 19 32 17
13 Selkirk 26 4 3 6 25 23 2 2 9 13 39 17
14 Leith Amateurs 25 3 3 5 23 31 3 0 11 27 56 15
15 Hawick United 24 1 1 11 21 64 0 0 11 16 74 3
Remaining fixtures not played.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

David Atkinson 23 9 2 1 1 3 1 1 3 2 1 1
John Blythe 4 1 2 1
Joseph R Blythe 28 24 3 4 1 1 3 1 1 3 3 1 1 1
John Borthwick 27 5 3 1 1 1 3 1 3 1 1 1
J Collin 2
Harry Crombie 22 2 1 3 1 2 1 1
George Hall 4 2
George Hush 2 1
Thomas Jefferson 8 4 1 1 1 1
John (Ecky) Johnston 24 8 3 1 1 1 2 1 1
Jimmy Lee 27 3 1 3 1 2 1 1
Michael Patterson 15 3 3 2 1 1
William Piercy 12 1 3 1 2 3 2 1
George Reeves 5 4 3 4 1 2 1 1
Jack Shiel 2
Jackie Spence 27 3 1 3 1 3 1 1
Jock Trainer 23 23 1 3 3 1 1 2 1
Robert (Bob) Wakenshaw 12 1 2 1 1 2 1 1
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 28 5 3 1 1 3 1 3 1 1
Willie Yourston 13 1 1 1
own goal 1
Number of players used: 20

The 1928/29 season saw a major expansion of the East of Scotland League with Edinburgh sides Clerwood Amateurs, Corstorphine Amateurs, Edinburgh City, and Murrayfield Amateurs joining, while from the borders Duns and Peebles Rovers joined along with Vale of Leithen, who returned after a season out.

At a meeting of the ESL, it was decided that due to the extra fixtures, where League clubs were drawn together in East of Scotland cup ties, League points would also count, providing the clubs have not previously met in a League fixture. It was also agreed that visiting clubs were to receive £2 10s, or half gate or 15 railway tickets, whichever the greatest.


18. Berwick Rangers came a cropper in their opening League fixture at Corstorphine Amateurs. Berwick, except for Armstrong, fielded their championship eleven of last season, but a lack of match fitness was their downfall. In an even first half Anderson opened the scoring for the home side, hooking the ball over Patterson's head from a free kick taken by Black. Later, Reeves broke through and an equaliser looked imminent, but Bagrie arrived in the nick of time and cleared the danger. In the second half Berwick faded badly, as the fitness levels told, and Corstorphine held the advantage throughout with Smith, Wishart and Anderson adding further goals, inflicting a heavy defeat.

25. Berwick Rangers got back to their winning ways in a League and East of Scotland Qualifying Cup first round double-header at Shielfield Park. Conditions were perfect except for a strong wind. However, Berwick could make little headway in the early stages against a determined Clerwood side, with the wind behind them, and the defence had to work hard to keep the score goalless at half time. Rangers opened the second half in a promising manner, hemming Clerwood back under immense pressure, and it looked only a matter of time before the visiting defence was breeched. After seven minutes' play, Borthwick scored a sensational goal, beating three defenders before unleashing a tremendous shot into the roof of the net. Rangers continued to pressurise, with the visitors seldom dangerous, and three goals in a five-minute spell ended all hopes of a Clerwood fight-back. In the 63rd minute Piercy converted from the penalty spot after G. Stirling had handled in the area. Atkinson then scored a lucky goal when he took a speculative shot at goal with a 40-yard free kick which J Stirling had the misfortune to deflect past the waiting keeper. Finally, Piercy slotted through a timely pass for Reeves to hit home, but the centre missed completely; however, Blythe, who was lying handy, did the needful and registered the fourth.

28. Berwick Rangers met St Bernard's in a Tuesday evening friendly at Shielfield Park. Playing neat football, the visitors had most of the play. It was their neat passing that that led to Moffat scoring the opening goal in the 12th minute, although Patterson made a great attempt to save. Five minutes later Robertson put the Saints two-up and after 20 minutes Walker scored the best goal of the match with a sublime shot. At this point Rangers came more into the game. Superb play up the left, with Blythe the prime mover, let Johnston in with a good shot; Small turned the ball out, but Borthwick snapped up the clearance to score. Rangers' tails were now up and another smart move down the left led to their second goal. Blythe again made an opening for Johnston who this time crossed beautifully for Reeves to score on the half-hour. They should have been on level terms a minute or so later when Reeves had only the keeper to beat, but he slipped at the last minute and the chance was gone. The second half was a tame affair until ten minutes from the end when the Rangers went all out for an equaliser. However, despite the pressure they could not force the ball home and the Saint's neat football won the day.


1. In the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup at Shielfield Park, Rangers were always the more effective team with four goals in ten first-half minutes ending any hope of Coldstream advancing further in the competition. Just before the half-hour mark Mitchell, in attempting to clear a high ball from Piercy, put through his own net when harassed by Blythe. A minute later Piercy placed a lovely ball for Blythe to run through and score a second. Coldstream now faded and would have been three down two minutes later had Piercy not fumbled an easy one. However, Piercy made amends when he forced home following a goalmouth melee shortly after. Coldstream were dealt a further blow in the 35th minute when Reeves broke through their defence to notch a fourth and the game was over before the interval had been reached. Coldstream looked more promising after the break, but the edge soon went off their attack and Rangers continued to have the better of the exchanges. Seven minutes after the restart Reeves was again marksman with goal in which Mitchell was injured, the keeper going outfield with Jackson taking his place between the posts. Rangers slackened off the pace, with the match well won, and the defence easily held the visitors in check. Stand-in keeper Jackson was giving a sound display with anything Rangers threw at him, but he had to admit defeat to a hot Piercy shot in the 70th minute as the Streamers were hit for six.

8. In another League and East of Scotland Qualifying Cup double header, Rangers made it 13 goals without reply when they defeated Hawick United 7-0 at Shielfield Park. The score could have been much higher had the forwards not lost interest late in the second half, as they merely played with the ball rather that shoot. Berwick were early on the move with Piercy, Borthwick and Blythe combining well. In the 10th minute the first goal came when Borthwick broke through on the right and centred neatly for Reeves to slip the ball past the advancing Devaney. Reeves was harassing the Hawick defence with some probing runs. On the half-hour mark he was in an excellent position to score but miskicked when about to shoot; however, the unmarked Wakenshaw was on hand and made no mistake with a low shot to put the home side two-up. A few minutes before the interval, Blythe was unlucky with a shot that hit the upright before glancing across the face of the goal. A defender cleared the ball off the line and amid cries for handball, which were ignored by the referee, before Reeves scored a third from close in. A minute into the second half, Reeves completed his hat-trick with a low shot through a crowded goalmouth. A Borthwick volley was then fisted out by Devaney, but only as far as Blythe, whose return cross was met with force as Borthwick score the goal-of-the-match with a tremendous shot, the keeper standing no chance. From a Johnston pass Blythe brought the score to six and Johnston was again provider when Reeves completed the scoring at seven.

15. Berwick Rangers had to settle for a share of the points in a goalless draw when they travelled to League newcomers Peebles Rovers. After an even first half, Rovers had the better of play in the second, with Rangers making little headway against the home defence. However, Berwick finished the game the stronger, with a series of hard-fought corners, before Reeves missed a golden chance to snatch both points with a minute to go when he missed an open goal.

22. Murrayfield Amateurs were victors in a League and East of Scotland Qualifying Cup semi-final match at Shielfield Park in which three penalty kicks were missed. It took the Amateurs only five minutes to open the scoring. Henderson crossed neatly from the left for Holmes to trap the ball before beating Patterson with a well-placed shot. Rangers fought back and were awarded a penalty when McLaren brought down Wilson. Piercy took the kick but shot straight at the keeper. However, Berwick kept up their attack and deservedly equalised when McClung could only fist Johnston's shot into the path of Wilson, who netted before the keeper had time to recover. The visitors were awarded a penalty when Spence needlessly handled in the area. McLaughlin was entrusted with the kick but much to the relief of the home crowd he missed the goal altogether. Blythe showed the Amateurs how to hit the target just before the interval when he gave Berwick the lead with a ferocious shot. The crowd fully expected Rangers to take the second half by storm, but it was quite the opposite. A disjointed display in the opening minutes let the Amateurs equalise when J. Macdonald, who seemed to be in an offside position, ran through to score. After this the Amateurs seemed content to hold on for a draw, as they packed their goal and repeatedly kicked the ball into touch when challenged. However, they caught Berwick on the break and Henderson gave them the lead with a well taken goal. Play now turned into a scrappy affair, the referee having to issue a word of caution to both sides as frequent free kicks were being awarded for foul play, and a third penalty was harshly given against Reeves for what was deemed an unfair charge. Patterson saved well from Henderson's shot to keep the Rangers in with a chance as they launched a late onslaught but unfortunately time ran out.

29. Berwick Rangers made further progress in the Scottish Qualifying Cup when they easily beat Perthshire side Dunkeld and Burnam in their second-round tie. The visitors had the misfortune to lose McNab, their left-back, in the first minute of the game with a broken collar bone, after a collision with Berwick's trialist centre-forward John Trainer and played the rest of the game with only ten men. Trainer of East Newbiggin, Norham, impressed with a solid display and showed he was player to watch for the future. Rangers applied the early pressure, but the visitor's reshuffled defence held out until the 20th minute when Blythe deflected Wilson's strong shot home with his chest. Dunkeld continued to defend in depth as Rangers forced the pace and were lucky to reach the interval only a goal down. In the second half it was only the fine form of Robb in the visitor's goal that kept the score respectable. However, Wakenshaw gave the keeper no chance when he put the Rangers two ahead from the penalty spot after Blythe had been brought down in the area. Borthwick then hit the crossbar with a fierce shot, and Blythe headed the rebound into the net. Robb saved well in quick succession from Blythe and Borthwick before the visitors were awarded a penalty after Spence handled; however, Kay missed the goal altogether from the spot. Atkinson saved the best until last when he scored the goal of the match with a fast drive to put the Rangers 4-0 up and uncatchable.


6. In a League match at Hawick, Berwick Rangers made a strong opening despite playing against a gale force wind, whereas Hawick failed to take advantage of the elements and paid heavily. After a sustained attack Trainer opened the scoring for Berwick but, by half-time, Augustus had levelled the score. After the change of ends Rangers had matters practically their own way and, except for the occasional raid, Hawick were rarely dangerous. However, despite Rangers setting the pace it was Hawick who took the lead through Augustus five minutes after the restart – it was to be their last look in for a while. Rangers took centre stage with Trainer adding another three to his collection, Joe Blythe 2, Wilson 1 and newcomer John Blythe 1 before Caird scored a late consolation for Hawick.

13. Berwick Rangers were knocked out of the Scottish Qualifying Cup in the third round despite a solid performance against Murrayfield Amateurs at Shielfield Park. Rangers had the lion's share of the game in the first half, and but for the fine goalkeeping of McClung would have scored on several occasions. The Amateurs had more of the play in the second half, but the score of 5-1 did not truly represent the run of play. Rangers hemmed the visitors back in defence for much of the opening half and continued in the second much the same; however, a defensive mistake let the Amateurs in to score after which they never looked back. Against the run of play, Holmes broke on a solo run, which the defence failed to halt and, with Patterson leaving his goal to defend, the centre neatly chipped the ball over his head and into the empty net. The visitors increased their lead when J. Robertson intercepted a poor clearance across the goalmouth by Wilson and beat Patterson from close range. This second goal seemed to knock the fight out of the Rangers and for a while the Amateurs had all the play. From a raid down the right J. Macdonald sent over a perfect cross for Holmes to head home number three. Rangers then raised their game and Atkinson was unlucky with a long-range shot which just went over before Borthwick was ceremoniously grounded by Armstrong on the edge of the box. From the resultant free kick McClung failed to fully clear Wilson's high ball and Atkinson rushed in to head home. However, I. Macdonald, who put in some fine work down the right, crossed neatly for Henderson to score the visitor's fourth of the afternoon and a minute later Rangers' cup fate was sealed when Patterson was again caught off his line and Holmes scored with a good drive.

20. Berwick Rangers had to settle for a League point and a replay in their defence of the King Cup at Gala Fairydean. Both teams saw several chances go a-begging in an even first half. Trainer put Berwick ahead in the 20th minute before Steven headed home a well-taken corner to level the score just before the interval. Five minutes into the second period Gala took the lead when Robertson scored from a McHugh free kick. However, Rangers battled back and forced three corners in quick succession, with Atkinson equalising with a fine header from the third.

27. A last-minute change of goalkeeper was the only change to a Berwick Rangers side that beat Peebles Rovers comfortably. Berwick Albion sportingly gave up their keeper, Yourston, an hour before the kick-off, despite having a match of their own to play. Rangers got off to the best possible start when in the first minute Atkinson played Wilson through to beat Hope with a hard shot. Hope later cleared near certain goals from Joe Blythe and Trainer as Berwick continued to press. However, in a surprise run by Peebles, Turner outwitted the home defence and equalised. In retaliation Wilson tested Hope with a hot shot before Joe Blythe sent over a fine cross from the left which the waiting Trainer headed neatly into the net. Straight from the kick-off Peebles were again level. Miller, who was heading for goal, was downed in the area and Turner scored from the penalty spot. Early in the second half Borthwick forced a corner on the right from which he placed well for Wilson to head into the net. Borthwick's fine kicking resulted in another two goals when from another corner Atkinson netted goal number four and a few minutes later a cross this time led to Wilson beating Hope from close range for number five. Peebles were now a well beaten side. Nearing the end, Yourston was required to leave his goal to try stop a Robertson shot but Murray, running in, picked up the loose ball before rounding the keeper and shooting into the empty net.


3. Heavy rain, falling for the greater part of the game, spoiled what would otherwise have been an entertaining League/King Cup replay at Shielfield Park against Gala Fairydean. Despite the slippery conditions, Borthwick and Blythe tormented the visitors with some clever moves as Berwick piled on the early pressure. In the 10th minute Borthwick forced a corner, which he placed well, only for Crichton to punch Lee's timely shot away; however, Trainer was lying handy and headed into the net. It was not always one-way traffic. Dippie, the Gala outside-right, was a constant source of danger to the home defence, and in a nice run from the halfway line he tricked several players before levelling the score with a well-taken shot. Wilson went close to restoring Berwick's lead just before the interval with a shot that struck an upright. In view of the conditions the teams turned around immediately. The second half was played under a proper downpour and a cold north-easterly wind, rendering good football impossible. Both teams had their moments in front of goal but, due to the deteriorating conditions, all were missed, and the game ended a goal apiece.

10. In the second replay at Hawthorn Park, Duns, early hesitation on the part of the Gala defence did not auger too well for the Fairydean. Trainer scored a deserved goal for the Rangers when he guided a Borthwick cross into the net, and a second goal soon followed when Blyth was on hand to prod home from close range. However, Berwick's play slackened considerably, allowing Gala more scope, from which they took full advantage when Dippie reduced the leeway just before the interval. Gala started the second half where they left off and never let the Berwick forward line settle. Patterson kept the Rangers marginally in front when he saved a curling shot from Anderson, but with quarter-of-an-hour remaining Anderson beat the keeper with a low shot. With the score still level at the final whistle extra time was played. Ten minutes into the first period Patterson miskicked a clearance from which Anderson secured the ball to score. Tempers then flared, with some of the players fortunate to remain on the park, as Rangers made a desperate effort to equalise, but the Gala defence held firm to win.

17. In an away League match played at home against Edinburgh University, Berwick Rangers dominated in the first half, playing with the wind and kicking downhill. From a good cross by Johnston, Borthwick opened the scoring in the first minute. Keeping up a strong attack, Rangers had the visitors well held and it came as no surprise when Atkinson put Berwick two ahead with a fierce 40-yarder. After a short fight back by the Students, Trainer added a third with a well-aimed shot from a difficult angle, despite being hemmed in by two opponents, and Blythe forced home a fourth a few minutes later. With the change of ends came the change in fortunes as the Students opened the second half with a sustained attack on the home goal. However, poor finishing, and a solid defensive performance by Crombie and Spence, prevented the visitors from opening their account until the 75th minute. From a corner Cheyne placed well for Russell to put the ball well out of Patterson's reach. Bain was unlucky with a hard shot that struck the crossbar before Russell scored the Students second from a Cheyne cross. From the kick-off, and with only a minute remaining, Rangers attacked down the left from where Johnston sent over a good cross to Wilson who in turn placed well for Blythe to secure the points.

24. In a League match at Coldstream, Berwick Rangers beat the home side by the odd goal in three, but on the run of play a draw would have been a fair result. Some excellent play was served up by Coldstream, especially their left winger, Johnston, who was unlucky with a tremendous 25-yard shot that struck the crossbar with Yourston well and truly beaten. The home side kept up an even pressure throughout the first half, with Spence and Crombie having a busy time in the Berwick defence. Bell eventually broke through and from his fine pass Johnston put the Streamers ahead. However, against the run of play, Trainer levelled the score shortly before the interval. Coldstream continued their fine form after the break, with Bell and Johnston going close, but Rangers gradually turned the game, by marginalising the tricky Johnston, and dominated the later proceedings. Atkinson made some splendid openings for the forward line and Piercy was causing havoc down the right. On three occasions Borthwick came close to scoring, but it was from a long Lee clearance that the winning goal came. Borthwick forced a corner from which he sent over a well-timed cross for the in-rushing Atkinson to power the ball past Mitchell and into the net.


1. Berwick Rangers travelled to Duns for the first meeting in the East of Scotland League on December 1st. With the match looked upon as a local derby it was a tentative affair and not surprisingly finished goalless. There was little between the teams in the opening half, with both keepers seldom troubled, but after the interval Duns forced the early pace, forcing a series of corners to no avail. Rangers fought back, however, and began a period of pressure which saw Blythe cannon a header of the crossbar and Wakenshaw having a penalty kick well saved by Cook. This seemed to rally the Dingers as they upped their game. Cowe tried a long shot that rebounded off the crossbar and Campbell, following up, missed a great chance to seal the points with only Patterson to beat.

8. Berwick Rangers added two more points to their total, when they beat Selkirk 3-0 at a frosty Shielfield Park, to go joint top of the East of Scotland League table with Corstorphine Amateurs. Selkirk had the best chance of the evenly contested first half when Brown hit a free kick against the crossbar with Patterson beaten. Berwick, however, took the game by storm after the break and hit three past the visitors. From a corner, forced on the right, Borthwick placed a fine ball for Atkinson to power home with a header. Borthwick put inches past the upright and Wright did well to fist an Atkinson free kick over the bar before Blythe put the Berwickers two-up with a ferocious 18-yard shot. A long clearance by Patterson led to Rangers' third when Blythe latched onto the end of it before hitting a fast drive past Wright. The visitors claimed for offside, but the referee allowed the goal to stand.

15. Berwick Rangers claimed outright top spot in the League with a comfortable 4-1 home win against Duns. The first half was evenly contest even though the Berwickers holding a 2-0 half-time lead suggested otherwise; Duns did not take their chances whereas Berwick did. In the second half Duns were well held with Patterson in the home goal seldom troubled whilst Cook at the other end was kept busy. In the 25th minute Trainer tried a long shot that cannoned off the crossbar and as Cook left his line to challenge, Jefferson rounded the keeper and netted the rebound. Trainer increased the lead, with a disputed second, from within a goalmouth melee shortly before the break. The second half was only a minute old when Blythe scored following a Borthwick cross. Johnston, Trainer and Jefferson all tested Cook, who pulled off some fine saves, as Berwick piled on the pressure. However, Cook was finally beaten when, from a well-placed Wilson cross, Trainer had little difficulty in rounding the keeper to add the fourth. With time running out, a breakaway by the visitors ended with Campbell scoring a consolation goal.

25. Berwick Rangers added more points to their total in a high scoring home victory over Coldstream. The Streamers were without the services of Mitchell, their regular keeper, with full-back Jackson taking his place between the posts. The game was only two minutes old when Jefferson trapped a neat cross from Johnston before beating Jackson with a low shot. From the kick-off Rangers went two up when Atkinson's cross was blasted home by Borthwick. Coldstream were struggling to find their place in the game and went further in arrears when Atkinson hit home a superb 20-yard shot. After a brief sortie by the Streamers, Jefferson made it four when he latched onto the end of an Atkinson cross to power home from six yards, and Blythe made the score straight five a few minutes later with an equally powerful shot. Things now looked bleak for the visitors, but they stuck to the task despite missing the perfect chance to reduce the deficit when Johnston missed from the penalty spot. Kerse eventually opened their account when he beat Patterson with a neat shot. Trainer hit the crossbar, Atkinson put narrowly wide and Jackson saved a Crombie penalty as the home side pressed back, but Coldstream had now found their shooting range. From a Spence miskick, Kerse added a second from close range and Johnston scored a third for the visitors just on half time. After the break, Coldstream had the better of the exchanges, reducing the goal difference to one when Wilkinson beat Patterson following a neat Johnston cross. Not to be out done, Rangers attacked down the right and following a goalmouth melee Blythe netted before both defences turned the screw.

29. Berwick Rangers were unlucky not to take full points against Civil Service Strollers at Stenhouse Mills. They laid siege on the home goal for long periods but, with a packed goalmouth, scoring chances were few and far between. After a goalless first half, the game opened out more after the break. Borthwick and Jefferson were always a danger and combined well to create an opening from which Blythe scored midway through the half. However, their lead was short lived as the Strollers made a stirring reply and levelled straight from the restart through Bonar. Rangers continued to attack, but their play was equally matched by that of the home defence and it came as no surprise to find the score still level at time-up.


12. There was a fair attendance at Shielfield Park for the League match against Vale of Leithen, but from a spectator's view, what promised to be an interesting match became one-sided because of Vale being reduced to ten-men just before half-time. Rangers took up the attack from the start and Currie had to save twice in quick succession. Jefferson went closest to scoring for the Rangers before the visitors woke up and put the home defence on alert. Watson had a try but put high over. However, the Berwick defence was now all at sea and Peden got through to score with a shot from the edge of the six-yard box. Borthwick shot inches over and Wilson struck the crossbar as Rangers fought their way back into the match. Patterson and Walker then collided, and the latter had to leave the field. Though his injuries did not appear to be serious, he failed to return for the remainder of the match. With a man advantage, Berwick were soon on level terms. Following a corner, Atkinson received the ball 20 yards out and his first-time volley thundered past Wright into the net. The second half opened evenly with both ends visited in turn. However, Rangers began to turn the screw on the hour mark. Wright, in clearing, was penalised for carrying the ball too far. The referee gave an indirect free kick just two yards out. Atkinson played the ball, and by sheer weight of numbers, Rangers brought the ball to the line where Blythe hustled the ball into the net. Rangers kept up the pressure and Jefferson struck the inside of the post with a hard shot; the rebound running along the goal-line before being cleared. Borthwick then forced a corner, which he placed neatly for Trainer to notch Berwick's third as Rangers set the pace until the end.

19. All roads led to Shielfield when Berwick Rangers met Ayr United in the first round of the Scottish Cup. Between two and three thousand spectators lined the pitch, with every advantage point taken up, some even standing on the walls of the adjacent gardens. The home team was at full strength, but ill-luck dogged them. For the biggest part of the game, they had to play with ten men. Wilson was hurt in the first half and was absent for 15 minutes; he had not long returned when keeper Patterson got hurt and had to retire for the remainder of the game. Had they had their full team for the whole game the result would have no doubt been different. Ayr were short of four of their regular players through influenza but still had quality replacements. Ayr won the toss and kicked down the hill. Rangers won an early corner from which Ayr broke up the field and Spence gave away a penalty. Neil took the spot kick and Rangers were a goal down in the opening minute. End-to end football followed but a few minutes later Nisbet sent over a neat cross and Sharp head home to put the visitors two-up. From the kick-off, Rangers attacked and won a penalty when Trainer was sandwiched by two defenders. Blythe took the kick and Berwick were off the mark. Spurred on, Rangers attacked down the left and Hepburn had to handle twice in quick succession from Blythe. However, after a mix-up in front of goal, McCall put the visitors further ahead. Patterson pulled off a couple of fine saves as Ayr kept up the attack, but he was beaten by Sharp's 30-yarder and the visitors were three-goals clear. Blythe went close with a shot inches over the crossbar but, from the goal kick Ayr attacked and Neil scored again. The visitors were now pressing hard, but against the run of play, Trainer played Jefferson through to score Berwick's second. In another Ayr attack, Nisbet was on the point of shooting when Crombie nipped in to clear. From the resultant corner, Robertson score from close in with Patterson being injured attempting to save. The keeper was taken from the field. Wilson took his place in goal and he made a tremendous save from McCall just before the interval. Wilson continued in goal for the second half and pulled off fine saves from McLeod and Robertson. However, he could not prevent Neil from scoring his hat trick goal despite going full stretch. Tolland beat Wilson from close range to make it 8-2 to the visitors before Trainer saw his well-struck shot hit the crossbar as Rangers got a brief look-in. Trainer then broke through the Ayr defence only to be upended just outside the box. Atkinson took the free kick and scored a fine goal. Ayr were quickly on the move again and Wilson was applauded for a fine save from Robertson. However, he slipped when trying to stop a cross and Sharp was on hand to score his third and Ayr's ninth. Both ends were then attacked in turn as Rangers saw more of the action but, with both keepers in fine form, there was no further scoring. Although Berwick went down heavily, they were praised by the Ayr team for putting up such a stiff fight, the match was success off the field. The total number of those who paid for admission was 2366, and the gate receipts after deduction of tax amounted to £94 3s.

26. Berwick Rangers travelled to Coldstream in the first round of the Border Cup. A slight fall of snow during the early morning had left its mark on the Home Park pitch, making it rather greasy. Apart from the ground, weather conditions were good, and a fair number of spectators were present. Rangers had Yourston in goal deputising for Patterson, who was on the sick list, and for the home side Tocher was brought in for R. Mitchell. Coldstream attacked strongly from the start and were two goals clear after only fifteen minutes. Johnston gained possession on the edge of the 18-yard box and, with a piece of brilliant play, ran through the Berwick defence. Spence intercepted at the last moment and conceded a corner. However, Johnston took the corner kick himself and scored direct. Keeping up the pressure, scarcely a minute had gone when Coldstream increased their lead. Tocher made the opening from which Kerse crossed for Bryson to score. Two goals down in the opening quarter, Rangers looked down and out, and try as they might they failed to make any impression on the game. They were lucky not to be three down at the interval when Johnston was unceremoniously downed by Spence on the edge of the penalty box. Johnston took the free kick, but it was blocked on the line by Atkinson. Berwick upped their game at the start of the second half and were rewarded when a foul was conceded by Ford; Lee took the free kick and Trainer headed it past Mitchell. Spurred on by this success, Rangers kept up a steady pressure and Mitchell was called upon to save from Trainer, Jefferson and Johnston; however, they were caught on the break and, from a Johnston cross, Bryson beat Crombie on the six-yard line and sent in a square shot which Yourston failed to gather. Rangers were now being outplayed and although Wilson and Atkinson had decent chances the home defence easily held out. Just before the final whistle, a fine Coldstream move resulted in Bryson gaining possession and, after beating Crombie, he ran on to make it 4-1.


2. Back to League business, Berwick Rangers were short of two of their regular players when they travelled to Selkirk, with Crombie and Jefferson missing, a considerable amount of player shuffling was required, but overall, the team played well. Selkirk opened brightest, winning two corners in quick succession, but the Berwick defence stood firm. A spell of Berwick pressure resulted in a corner which was well placed, and Trainer hit the crossbar with a fast shot. However, Selkirk took the game in hand and, following a fine run, Forrester gave the home side the lead. Selkirk continued to press, and W. Douglas smacked a shot against the upright, the ball rebounding into play before being cleared. Rangers started the second half in a more determined manner and after half-an-hour's pressure Trainer brought the score level. Hush then put Berwick into the lead before Spence needlessly gave Selkirk a penalty, but Johnston failed to net from the spot. The home side rallied and had the better of the late exchanges, but a lack of finishing power lost them the game.

9. In a match against Edinburgh City, where both East of Scotland Consolation Cup progression and League points were at stake, Rangers lost their stake in both. In a rather tame affair, the lack of fire power was Berwick's demise. City took the honours due to their willingness to shoot at every opportunity. Jefferson presented Trainer with an early chance, but he missed. The ball was played quickly to the other end by the City forwards and gave Rangers a taste of things to come when roaring shot by Fraser went inches wide of the upright. Berwick had plenty of chances to open the scoring but messed with the ball too long. City on the other hand were quick on the counterattack. Fifteen minutes had been played before a goal was finally scored and it was Berwick who took the honours when Borthwick cut in and blazed the ball past Johnston through a ruck of players. Rangers deserved their lead, but Jefferson and Atkinson both missed good chances to increase it. Although City were mostly on the defensive, their forwards were ever dangerous. Downie and Russell made good ground and a corner was forced. It was a poorly taken corner, landing well out of the box, but Jefferson messed up trying to clear, letting Russell in to blast home a 20-yarder. Rangers still had the bulk of play but profiting nothing by it. The second half started in a similar vein. A corner forced early on brought nothing, and then Jefferson headed wide when well placed. Borthwick then went close but Berwick's luck was obviously out when City took the lead. From a misunderstanding in the home defence, Fraser nipped in to score from six yards. Yourston was called upon to save smartly from Straughan before Blythe raised home hopes again when Johnston was unable to stop his powerfully hit shot. On equal terms once more things did not look too bad, but the City forwards were a constant source of danger. Downie tested Yourston and then put narrowly wide. As a last resort, Rangers moved Trainer to outside-right, but although there was a noticeable difference, it came too late. In another attack by the visitors near to the close, Fraser banged the ball past Yourston, and it put paid to the Rangers' fightback.

23. With two players, Borthwick and Jefferson, unavailable, the Rangers' forward line had to be re-arranged for a League match at Murrayfield Amateurs. Collin of Eyemouth Rangers was brought in at right-half, Trainer went to outside-right with Wilson his partner and Hush at centre-forward. Rangers kicked off but were soon defending desperately. On two occasions, it was touch-and-go whether Yourston would clear or not but, aided with a slice of luck, Berwick weathered the storm and had a spell of pressure; however, it was short-lived. Yourston made some good saves before a header from Ferguson finally beat him. The next ten minutes saw a Berwick revival. Johnston levelled the score and a few minutes later he dispossessed the home keeper to put Rangers in front. Murrayfield hit back with Gilbert scoring from a free kick and I. McDonald putting them in front, but Blythe squared matters at three goals apiece just before the interval. The early stages of the second half were even, but as time wore on, the home side looked the more likely to score. Following a run by Hush, that was only checked by Gilbert, when he seemed to have the goal at his mercy, Murrayfield broke upfield and I. McDonald put them back in front. After this reverse, Rangers put the home goal under pressure but nothing materialised and Holmes, travelling some distance and neatly tricking two defenders on his way, made Murrayfield's total five.


2. A rather muddy Shielfield Park together with a strong, cold wind spoiled the League game against Corstorphine Amateurs. The Amateurs kicked off down the gradient and with the advantage of the wind. For a long time, Rangers were compelled to play nothing but a defensive game. However, against the run of play Berwick took the lead through Trainer and a minute later, from Borthwick's run and cross, Johnston cut in to put Rangers further ahead. Rangers deserved their lead for their opportunism as for a long time, the Amateurs had pressed hard without result. In the second half, as expected, Rangers had the bulk of the play. Wilson went close, Trainer hit the crossbar, and Atkinson put a shot inches wide. Berwick kept up the pressure but, on a sudden clearance, Walker was presented with an opening; he out-ran Spence and eluded the advancing Yourston to score a fine goal. Not to be outdone, Trainer scored a classic goal when he first-timed Wilson's well-judged pass into the corner of the net to regain Rangers' two-goal advantage. Yourston then pulled off a tremendous save to deny Anderson. The shot was well worth a goal. The Amateurs were putting the home defence under pressure with Crombie and Spence on more than one occasion kicking out to relieve the pressure. In a late raid, Smith reduced the deficit with a fine run and shot but any chance of an equaliser was denied by the home defence.

9. The League match against Edinburgh University at Shielfield Park was a tame affair despite the 7-3 scoreline. Although Rangers won, they did not deserve to do so by such a large margin. That they were the better side there was no denying, but it was rather unfortunate that the visitors had to play a man short all through the second half. Stewart had to leave the field with an ankle injury. The visitors opened brightest. Yourston made two good saves before Russell opened the scoring for the Students from close in. The Students were unlucky not to increase their lead a few minutes later when Yourston left his goal to challenge Stewart in a one-on-one; he rounded the keeper, but his shot travelled across the goalmouth and narrowly wide. Jefferson and Blythe both went close as Berwick had a spell of pressure before the home goal had another narrow escape. Stewart again broke through and had only Yourston to beat, but from five yards out he struck the post. With Rangers now back in attack, Jefferson hit the crossbar with a well-struck shot. Keeping up the pressure, Trainer crossed to Jefferson, whose shot would have been a goal had Spence not handled on the line, and Blythe levelled matters from the penalty spot. Rangers never looked back after this. Trainer broke through and sent in a shot which Blythe helped into the net. It was at this point that Stewart was injured and, although he played on until the interval, he did not appear for the second half. With only ten men, the prospects of winning were not bright for the visitors, but they never slackened off and at times were quite dangerous. Rangers on the other hand were playing like a winning team and from a pass by Trainer, Jefferson was on the mark with a shot that Ross saved, but Johnston, running in, caught the rebound and first-timed it into the net. The next goal came when Jefferson sent over a right-wing cross to Blythe, who secured his hat trick with well-aimed shot from edge of the six-yard box. Then came a surprise for the Rangers; Russell gained possession and ran through to score a fine goal. Johnston put in the fifth goal with a shot that was deflected into the net by Watson. Borthwick tried a shot and Ross saved, but Trainer charged him, and the ball ran loose for Johnston to claim his and the team's second hat trick of the afternoon. With almost the last kick of the game Jefferson completed the scoring with a shot that curled into the top corner of the net.

16. Berwick Rangers met Clerwood Amateurs in Edinburgh in search of valuable League points, with the start being delayed until 4.15 to suit Berwick's travel arrangements. The Amateurs open in attacking style and from J. McLean's cross, Wilson's timely clearance prevented them from scoring. Rangers retaliated and Cranston saved well from Blythe at the expense of a fruitless corner. After a period of even play, the game turned in favour of the Rangers when Johnston was on hand to score following a corner. The Amateurs replied with a right-wing attack and W. McLean levelled matters with a clever shot. As time went on, Clerwood came more into the game and McLean sent a powerful shot into the corner of the net for his and Clerwood's second of the match. Rangers were unlucky not to be level at the interval when Cranston pulled off a spectacular save to deny Blythe. At the start of the second half, Rangers held the advantage and the Clerwood goal had one or two narrow escapes. Play deteriorated towards the end and some ill-feeling crept into the match with Clerwood's centre-half given his marching orders for a clumsy tackle on Trainer. However, the home team increased their lead following another good move down the right when J. McLean scored to put matters beyond doubt, effectively ending Berwick's hopes of winning the championship for a second consecutive season.

23. In another away match played at home, Rangers took two points with a confident second half performance against Leith Athletic at a wind-swept Shielfield Park. Wilson won the spin of the coin and elected to kick against the bustling cross wind. The Amateurs were sharp on the ball and but for the resolute defending by Wilson they would have been clean through on more than one occasion. Yourston, despite the Leith pressure, was seldom tested, but he made a good save from Watt and repeated the performance shortly after when Robertson was on target with a fast drive. However, Leith kept up the pressure and Yourston was finally beaten when Watt scored following a corner. Berwick fought back and Trainer, with the best shot of the match, took the ball on the drop and rattled the upright with Walker beaten. It was a lucky let off for the visitors. Luck was again on their side when Trainer got his head to a cross only for Walker to fingertip the ball out from under the crossbar just before half-time. Rangers started the second half as they finished the first but, like the Amateurs, they found the ball difficult to control owing to the wind. Blythe soon put Berwick on level terms with a superbly struck twenty-yarder. Leith were now seldom over the half-way line as they concentrated more on defence. Atkinson then had to leave the field for the remainder of the match after injuring his ankle on the receiving end of a hard tackle. Even with ten men, Rangers kept up the pace and Trainer put them in the lead amid protests of offside. Borthwick had Walker full stretch to turn away a certain goal but the keeper was beaten again a few minutes later when Johnston's shot from an acute angle flashed past him and into the net.


13. In the League match played at Marine Gardens, Portobello, Edinburgh City got in the first attack when Gray went close following a smart move engineered by Russell and Crombie intercepted a well-intentioned pass to C. Gorman, who appeared all set to score. A well-directed free kick by McCaig gave Yourston an anxious moment, but Farrer put the dropped ball past. Rangers replied when Trainer broke smartly between the City backs but harassed by Mulholland shot weakly. Berwick were by now the more persistent attackers, but their forwards kept hanging too long on the ball when a pass might have brought better results. C. Gorman showed the way with a strong drive for City, but his shot was just wide of the mark. The light ball and stiff crosswind were making ball control difficult, but both sets of wingers were sending over some nice crosses; C. Gorman had hard luck from one of Gray's, the centre losing control when in the act of shooting. Just on the interval, City took the lead when Gray netted after good play by McNulty. Rangers strove hard for the equaliser with Trainer and Borthwick going close. In the second half, Rangers started well and held the upper hand for long periods. However, the forward line had little luck in front of goal with Hall striking the upright with a weighty shot and the crossbar stopped a good effort by Wilson. To make matters worse, City scored a rather simple goal when Fraser lobbed the ball from a considerable distance; Yourston thought it was going wide and it landed in the net. Hall reduced the leeway with a well-taken goal, but the home side pressed heavily in the late stages of the game with Strachan and McNulty adding to their score.

20. Berwick Rangers played their last away East of Scotland League fixture at Vale of Leithen. They travelled with a weakened side, both Atkinson and Crombie being absent, their places taken by Wakenshaw and Shiel of Spittal Rovers. The opening exchanges were in Berwick's favour and they took the lead on five minutes when McGlashan failed to clear properly and Trainer nipped in to score with a low shot. Vale replied with good efforts by Peden, Walker and Patterson. However, their defence looked shaky with the players arguing amongst themselves. Borthwick had a good solo run and looked destined to score, but his parting shot was poor. There was another let off for the home side when Robson was beaten but Lewis got back in time to clear off the goal-line. Vale at last got moving and from a throw-in Berry equalised. A miskick by Wilson let Peden through on goal, but he was upended by Spence in the penalty box and from the spot kick Patterson put Vale ahead. The second half opened as did the first with Berwick on the attack. Vale had resumed with only ten men, Peden having sustained a leg injury. Borthwick cleverly worked his way through the Vale defence, but Robson dealt with his shot in masterly fashion. The home side were by no means a spent force, and a fine shot by Berry rattled the crossbar and rebounded into play. Yourston saved at full length from Pearce, while a strong shot by Patterson hit the woodwork. Berwick battled on and got their just reward when in a breakaway Borthwick equalised with Robson out of position.

27. A "typical end-of-season game" summed up the match against Leith Amateurs at Shielfield Park, which was played before a mere handful of spectators. Heavy rain prior to the start could partly be blamed for the display as the players found it difficult to keep their feet. Rangers may have won by a comfortable margin, but it must be borne in mind that Leith played most of the second half with ten men as Douglas, their veteran full-back, strained a muscle in his leg and had to leave the field. The players of both sides seemed to be feeling the effects of a heavy season, and the game was played out in a somewhat listless fashion. However, the conditions suited Trainer and his bustling methods, as he scored no less than five times. The opening exchanges favoured Berwick with Hall going close in the opening minute when his shot hit the crossbar and, on catching the rebound, he looked certain to score but Walker saved cleverly. However, Leith fought their way into the proceedings and took a 10th minute lead when, from a neat cross, Robertson beat Yourston from close range. It was left to Trainer to get the equaliser. After receiving the ball, he weaved his way past both full backs before smashing the ball into the roof of the net. Rangers slowly took command of the game and won numerous corners. Douglas, the Amateurs full-back, proved a stumbling block to the home forwards, and he seemed to be in the right place every time to clear the danger. Trainer, however, continued to harass the defence and he raced through to put Rangers ahead with a swerving shot. Walker pulled of a series of fine saves, but he was beaten again when Blythe scored the third goal. During a Leith raid, Dawson broke through and was in a good position to shoot, but instead he crossed to Burrell, who was attacked and robbed. Just before the interval Blythe sent in a shot that looked a goal all the way, but Walker got down well to save at the foot of the post. On the restart, Walker was called upon to clear from Trainer, but a few minutes later Borthwick broke down the right and crossed for Blythe to put Berwick further ahead. Shortly after this, Douglas had to leave the field and did not return. His departure was soon felt. Borthwick twice went close, but each time Walker was in the right place. However, it was from Borthwick that the fifth goal started, for a cross by him landed plumb on Trainers foot and the centre banged the ball home. Leith sprang a surprise when Edmond raced away and crossed for Robertson to score a second goal for the visitors. This, however, was the last time they got anywhere near Yourston. Rangers hemmed Leith in their own half and Walker had numerous shots to deal with. Following a corner, Trainer made it 6-1. Blythe then missed a sitter, with only the keeper to beat, before Johnston crossed for Trainer to score his fifth and Berwick's seventh of the afternoon.

29. Berwick Rangers brought their season to a close with a Monday night League fixture against Civil Service Stollers in front of a fair attendance. Conditions were ideal for the footballers, but as far as the spectators were concerned it was a rather cold hour-and-a-half. Rangers opened with a strong wind advantage, but against a troublesome sun. Defending by the Rangers was solid with Spence, Atkinson and Wakenshaw clearing their line without undue effort. It was evident that sooner or later the front line would penetrate the Strollers' defence as Aitken in goal was well tested on several occasions. It looked as if the visitors would hold out until the interval but, with five minutes to go, Hall scored after Blythe's shot against the keeper rebounded back into play. After a brief spell of pressure by the Strollers at the start of the second half, Rangers began to dominate matters and Aitken was kept busy. Blythe made Aitken's fingers tingle with a close-range shot midway through the half. Hall struck the upright with a superb shot a few minutes later and, in the subsequent play, Trainer got headed the ball into the net well out of Aitken's reach. The Strollers made several attacks down the left, but their finishing was weak. After one such attack, Atkinson gained possession in the centre of the field; he worked his way forward and gave Aitken no chance with his parting shot. The Strollers now looked demoralised and, a few minutes later, after good build up work by Borthwick, Hall and Johnston, Blythe added number four, with Aitken making little or no effort to save.

On the financial side, the Supporters' Club had carried out valuable fund-raising work during the season and as such Berwick Rangers had benefited to the extent of £65. The club also benefited due to the shareholders of the Shielfield Park Trust generously handing back their dividends as donations. Had it not been for the Supporters' Club and Shielfield Park Trust, the football club would have been in debt to the tune of £40 on the season. The club had been run on purely amateur lines this season and had considerably reduced its debt, the total now being £125. The total income for the season was £500 16s 9d, while expenditure was £475 18s 1d, leaving a profit of £24 18s 1d. The debt brought forward from last season was £150 6s 9d.

Unfortunately, no trophies had been won this season. They reached the semi-final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, losing out to winners Murrayfield Amateurs, but exited the King and East of Scotland Consolation cups in the opening round. In the Scottish Cup, Ayr United were played at Shielfield Park in front of a record gate, but unfortunately Rangers were beaten 9-3. The East of Scotland League consisted of 15 teams this season. This meant the playing of 28 games – a very heavy programme for an amateur club. Only two other clubs completed their fixtures with Rangers finishing runners-up, just one point behind champions Peebles Rovers. It was thought by many that the cups lost this term was due to the club meeting the better teams, but from what had been seen, they had quite a good young team that augured well for another season.