1926/27: Building Blocks


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 14 F H KOSB Depot W 4-1
19 PS F H Coldstream L 0-1
21 ESL A Hawick United L 2-3
28 EQC 1 H Coldstream W 3-1
Sep 4 SQC 1 A Vale of Leithen L 3-4
11 EQC 2 A Clerwood Amateurs L 1-2
25 ESL H Civil Service Strollers D 3-3
Oct 2 ESL H Selkirk W 2-1
9 ESL A Coldstream D 2-2
16 ESL H Hawick United W 7-0
23 KC 1 A Gala Fairydean L 2-8
30 ESL H Vale of Leithen W 4-1
Nov 6 ESL A Selkirk W 2-1
13 ESL H Leith Amateurs W 2-1
20 ESL H Edinburgh University L 2-3
Dec 4 ESL A Vale of Leithen L 1-3
11 ESL H Coldstream W 1-0
25 F H Leith Athletic L 3-4
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 8 ESL A Civil Service Strollers L 0-4
22 BC 1 A Gala Fairydean L 1-6
Feb 5 EC 1 H Selkirk W 4-2
26 EC SF H Vale of Leithen W 6-4
Mar 5 ESL H Gala Fairydean W 5-2
12 ESL A Gala Fairydean L 1-4
26 EC F A Coldstream W 2-0
Apr 2 ESL A Edinburgh University L 2-3
16 F H Newcastle Bohemians L 3-5
23 ESL H Leith Amateurs W 4-2
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Civil Service Strollers 16 5 1 2 30 13 3 4 1 20 11 21
2 Selkirk 16 5 1 2 19 9 3 2 3 15 15 19
3 Coldstream 16 5 2 1 23 14 3 1 4 15 16 19
4 Gala Fairydean 16 7 1 0 39 17 2 0 6 16 31 19
5 Berwick Rangers 16 6 1 1 26 11 2 1 5 14 22 18
6 Vale of Leithen 16 5 1 2 27 20 2 1 5 24 35 16
7 Leith Amateurs 16 4 2 2 21 16 1 2 5 18 23 14
8 Edinburgh University 16 2 1 5 17 21 2 2 4 16 22 11
9 Hawick United 16 2 3 3 23 31 0 0 8 14 50 7

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

David Allan 1
Robert Armstrong 14 2 3 1 1 1 2 1
David Atkinson 11 5 3 1
John Ayre 3 1 1
Joe R Blythe 16 6 1 3 2 1 1 1 3
John Borthwick 16 4 2 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 2 2
Tom Brown 5 1
James Buglass 1
Harry Campbell 4 5 2 1 3 5 1 1 2 3
Harry Crombie 10 2 3 1 1 1 2 1
Jimmy Crombie 3 1 1 1
Frank Ewart 1 1 1
John Fawcus 1
William Guthrie 1 1
David Hall 2 2 1
William Harvey 1 1 1
George Hush 1 1
Thomas Jefferson 1
Alex Johnston 1 1 1 2
Jimmy Lee 10 1 3 1 1 2
Michael Patterson 12 1 3 1 1 2
Arthur Paxton 1
William Piercy 15 1 2 2 1 1 1 3
Tom Purves 1
Jack Shiel 1 1
Smith 3 1 1
William Stanton 1 1 1
Robert (Bob) Wakenshaw 16 3 2 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3
John Wedderburn 11 3 2 2 1 1
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 16 8 2 3 3 1 1 1 1 3 1
Thomas Wilson 2
Young 3 2
Number of players used: 32

Membership of the East of Scotland League had increased from seven to nine clubs for the start of the new season with Edinburgh University and Hawick United entering the competition. However, before the league kicked off, last season's final of the Paul Shield against Coldstream was still to be decided.


14. In preparation for the new campaign Rangers defeated the KOSB Depot team 4-1 at Shielfield Park. Rangers opened brightly with Campbell twice going close. Johnston, Stanton and Campbell were combining well, and it looked only a matter of time before Rangers opened the scoring. It happened on the 10-minute mark when Armstrong found the net with a 20-yard daisy cutter following a well-placed corner by Campbell. Blythe came close to registering a second, but his shot hit the upright and Johnston put the rebound wide. However, Johnston got goal number two from a corner by Blythe and Stanton scored a third a few minutes later from a Campbell cross. Just before half-time Johnston notched his second from a neat Blythe pass. The second half was more evenly contested as the Depot team hand the wind at their backs. Purves saved well from Munn at the expense of a corner, but he was well beaten by Rigg a few minutes later as the Depot pulled a goal back.

19. Last season's Paul Shield Final took place at Shielfield on the evening of Thursday August 19th. Heavy rain during the afternoon had left the ground in a slippery condition, but at kick-off time the sun shone brightly, and a fair number of spectators had gathered. Coldstream had slightly the better of the exchanges in a poor first-half that ended goal-less. The under-foot conditions were hampering good football and the second half, although much better than the first, was a rather scrappy affair. Coldstream continued to hold the upper hand but ran up against a granite defence. However, with 15 minutes remaining cracks began to appear in the Berwick defence and Thompson found a way through to beat Harvey with a low shot. With heavy rain beginning to fall, and many spectators leaving the field, Rangers strove hard for an equaliser with nothing to lose, but luck was against them and Coldstream clung on to their 1-0 lead and lift the Paul Shield.

21. Berwick Rangers broke new ground when they travelled to Hawick, better known as a rugby stronghold, to play Hawick United in an East of Scotland League fixture. The Hawick club, who were bravely struggling against the odds to keep the "soccer" flag flying, had sub-let part of the Wilton Lodge Public Park where goal post had been erected and the ground fully enclosed. However, by the end of the afternoon Berwick supporters were surprised to have been beaten 3-2 by a team that had only been in existence for a year. Hawick opened the scoring through Smith, but Borthwick soon levelled, with a shot that had Welsh well beaten, and half-time arrived with honours even. On resuming Berwick gained the lead through Campbell, but a few minutes later Thomson secured an equaliser. The game had every appearance of ending in a draw or even possibly in the Rangers' favour, but five minutes from time Hawick went ahead after a misunderstanding in the Berwick defence. During a Hawick attack the linesman flagged for off-side with Crombie and Ayre stopping dead in their tracks, but the referee failed to halt the play and Smith ran through unopposed to score the winning goal.

28. Berwick Rangers showed marked changes from the team that faced Coldstream in the Paul Shield final with Hall, an employee of the New Bridge, at right-back, and Wedderburn of Spittal Rovers at centre-forward. Both teams swung the ball about with precision in a fast and entertaining start. Tocher was unlucky not to put the visitors ahead with a shot on the volley that Harvey tipped over the bar with a superb one-handed save. However, all Coldstream's best efforts were in the opening 30 minutes at which point Wedderburn gave Rangers the lead with a low shot at the second attempt. Coldstream pressed in search of an equaliser, but Harvey was safe in goal. Just before the interval Wedderburn was unlucky not to extend the lead when he cracked a shot off the crossbar with Mitchell well beaten. A few minutes into the second half Campbell dribbled the ball through the Coldstream defence from wide on the wing before unleashing a tremendous shot that threatened to break the net to put Berwick two goals clear. A slip by the Coldstream keeper gave Wedderburn the opportunity to score a third and a little later Campbell should have scored but shot wide with the goal at his mercy. Coldstream pulled a goal back when G. Wilson sent a long shot into the goalmouth which Hall accidentally headed over the up-stretched arms of Harvey and into the net. However, the goal came too late to make much difference as, shortly after the final whistle blew and Rangers had gained revenge for their Paul Shield defeat.


4. With entry to the Scottish Cup proper the winners' prize, Berwick Rangers made a fight of it against Vale of Leithen in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. However, Rangers were beaten by the odd goal in seven but not disgraced; a draw would have been a much fairer result as for long periods Rangers hemmed the home side in their own half. Berwick were without the services of Harvey, due to work commitments, and Blythe; Guthrie held the fort, while J. Crombie replaced Blythe. Pearce scored for the home club a minute from the start from what looked to be an off-side position. However, Rangers were not long in equalising with Borthwick hitting home from close range following a fine centred ball by J. Crombie. Wedderburn hit the woodwork before Anderson saved two outstanding shots by Borthwick as Rangers took control. Then they hit a bad patch from which they never really recovered. Knox forced home a ball that Guthrie had tried to wedge between his legs and, four minutes later, Matthews put Vale further ahead with a long-range shot. Regaining their poise, Rangers pressed without interruption until the interval. Wedderburn, Wakenshaw and Piercy all tested Anderson with fine shots before Borthwick reduced the score slightly when, on the receiving end of a free kick six yards out, he managed to poke the ball home through a ruck of players. In the second half, after a long spell of Berwick pressure, Nesbit handled just outside the 18-yard box and from the free kick Armstrong placed well for Wakenshaw to score. However, with eight minutes remaining Pearce made a run on the Berwick goal; both Armstrong and H. Crombie barred his way, but Armstrong had the misfortune to slip on the now wet surface, and the winger rounded Crombie to give Brunton the easy task of scoring the winning goal.

11. Berwick Rangers were a bit unfortunate to fall in a cup competition for a second week running when they were beaten 2-1 by the Clerwood Amateurs in the second round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at Clerwood Park, Murrayfield. The game ran in Berwick's favour for most of the opening half. However, after half-an-hours' play Clerwood took the lead when McLean swung over a fine corner and Hunter rose to head it firmly into the net. Rangers threw away chances galore to equalise, due to their disjointed play, and the interval arrived with Berwick still pressing. Rangers began the second half in a workmanlike fashion and got their just reward midway through the half when a shot from Borthwick eluded the Clerwood keeper. Unfortunately, Rangers slackened off the pace and the home side, finding a sudden surge of form, overwhelmed the defence and Stirling, with a swift shot regained Clerwood the lead after which they defended in depth to protect their slender advantage.

25. Out of both qualifying cups, Berwick Rangers were left to concentrate their efforts on the East of Scotland League and the visit of the Civil Service Strollers. Berwick were confident of taking both points and, after some smart touchline work, Armstrong created an opening for Wedderburn to give Aitken an early test; the keeper saved the initial shot but not Wedderburn's second. The Strollers came more into the game after this setback, but some forceful work by Wakenshaw led to a second Berwick goal. He tricked two defenders before leaving Aitken helpless with a fast, low shot. Keeping up the pressure Berwick secured a third goal shortly before the interval when, after a hefty clearance from the home end, Crombie got away with a clear field ahead. He carried the ball well before crossing for the in-rushing Wedderburn to force the ball home. By the way Rangers opened the second half it looked as if the Strollers were in for a heavy defeat. Wedderburn and Brown both struck the crossbar with rocket-like shots, but then Rangers went all to pieces. The Strollers were awarded a penalty, which Sharp converted, as they began to set the pace. Then, after working their way up the field, Hunter scored a second. With 25 minutes remaining the Berwickers were beginning to panic. Primrose got through shortly after to put the sides on level terms, and it looked likely that the Strollers would soon take the lead. However, with the help of some frantic defending Rangers held on to salvage a point.


2. At the last minute, Berwick Rangers were left without goalkeeper to face Selkirk in a League match at Shielfield Park; Thomas Wilson, a local lad, sportingly filled the breech and played a fine game. However, just before the interval Bennett struck the home crossbar with a fierce shot and Smith was on hand to net the rebound with Wilson well beaten. Over the ninety, Wright, the Selkirk keeper, was most certainly the busier of the two and was called upon on several occasions to save the day. Wakenshaw sent in a great 20-yarder from which Wright made an equally great save and Hall came far enough forward to try his luck with a shot that Wright punched over the bar. Later, Brown, who had changed positions with Borthwick, forced a corner and placed the flag-kick to perfection. A goalmouth melee ensued during which Wright made two splendid saves, but he could not prevent Blythe putting the teams on level terms when he poked the ball home from three yards out. Rangers were back on the attack from the kick-off; Brown struck the upright with Wright beaten and Wakenshaw shot narrowly wide from the rebound. Berwick's luck at this point seemed out. They were all over the Selkirk defence but could not hit the back of the net. However, a few minutes from time J. Crombie secured the ball on the left and sent in a hard-shot which Wright touched but failed to hold and the points were won.

9. Coldstream were intent on squaring matters in their return League encounter after Berwick Rangers took full points at Shielfield Park. Despite playing against a gale wind, Johnston opened their account in the first minute. After a period of even play Rangers equalised when a penalty was harshly awarded against Townsley for hand ball and Wakenshaw scored from the spot. Coldstream then monopolised matters and but for the fine goalkeeping of Patterson would undoubtedly have been in the lead at the interval. Kicking with the aid of the strong wind in the second half it was expected that Coldstream would over run the Rangers, but the Berwickers put up a tough defence, with Patterson the shining light. Surprisingly, Blythe gave Berwick the lead after Mitchell misjudged a clearance, but G. Wilson levelled soon after with a fast, low shot. Coldstream kept up the pressure on the Berwick goal and several times were within an inch of scoring, including a spot-kick miss by Bob Mitchell, but Patterson could not be beaten again, and the game finished all square.

16. The return to the side of Davie Atkinson saw Berwick Rangers record their biggest win of the season when they trounced Hawick United 7-0. Hawick, who were making their first ever visit to Berwick, were just not at the races, and the score could easily have reached double figures. From the outset Rangers went hard at it and penned Hawick back around their goal. Blythe opened the scoring with a cross shot before Atkinson hit a 35-yarder into the back of the net for number two. Wilson scored the third, netting a cross from Borthwick first time, and a few minutes later Borthwick notched the fourth with a low shot from within a goalmouth melee. Corners galore were falling to the Rangers, but they could not turn them into the net. Just before the interval, Blythe made it five when he beat the keeper with a superb long-range shot. Rangers eased off in the second half but still dominated proceedings. Atkinson nodded in the sixth on the hour from a well-placed Borthwick corner and late in the game Blythe struck the foot of the post before scoring number seven with a dropping shot into the top left of the net.

23. In the first round of the King Cup at Galashiels, Berwick Rangers gave a poor performance against an in-form Fairydean side and paid the consequences dearly. Except for two men, all the Gala players were from the Edinburgh area, and it was therefore not surprising that the Berwickers went down so heavily. From the start it became increasingly evident that Berwick were up against a team in rampant form. Patterson made two great saves to deny the home attack but could not prevent Ross from scoring with a delightful shot after only five minutes' play. Ross made it two a few minutes later when he netted following a corner. Walker then missed with only Patterson to beat, but before the keeper could clear his lines Walker forced the ball home. Patterson later prevented Walker from scoring from the penalty spot before Lowe scored the home side's fourth. Despite being four goals down Rangers began the second period in a promising manner. However, Gala still had the cutting edge and Ross completed his hat-trick following a quick breakaway. Ross then turned sinner when he conceded a needless penalty from which Wakenshaw opened Berwick's account. Gala were soon on the move again, with their short passing game, and fine work by Arnold gave Walker the opportunity to score a sixth. Rangers were reduced to ten men at this point when Armstrong was ordered from the field for speaking back to the referee – it was all they needed. With the Berwick defence now weakened Lowe put another shot past Patterson before Walker completed Gala's haul with goal number eight. Borthwick scored a late goal for Berwick, but it was of little consolation.

30. Back to League business, Rangers gave a much better display in a top-of-the-table clash with Vale of Leithen at Shielfield Park. Both teams were on equal points with Vale unbeaten in three and Berwick with six points from five played. It was early evident that Rangers were the superior team. In the 6th minute Wedderburn opened the scoring with a dipping shot that seemed to deceive Anderson in goal, the ball dropping behind him and into the net. The visitors seemed content to defend, and of this they got plenty to do. Atkinson and Wedderburn went close to extending the lead before Young scored a second goal with a close-range effort. Piercy saw his goal-bound effort rebound off the upright as Rangers kept up the pressure and a third goal came courtesy of a penalty that Wakenshaw dispatched with venom. Play was more evenly fought after the interval. Vale pulled a disputed goal back when Pearce was left unmarked in front of goal after the entire Berwick team had stopped on hearing the referee's whistle and, to everyone's surprise, the goal was given. Rangers retaliated strongly. Wedderburn headed narrowly wide and minutes later Borthwick broke through on his own and was unlucky with pile-driver inches to the wrong side of the post. Nearing the finish Blythe showed how it should be done when he went on a solo run and scored a rather simple goal that gave Berwick a deserved win and put them two points clear at the top.


6. After a goalless first half at Selkirk, in which Berwick Rangers had the better chances, the home side opened the scoring in the first minute of the second. The goal was well against the run of play, but Bennett gave Patterson little chance with a powerful long-range shot. However, Rangers upped their game, and it was not long before the teams were level. Wilson and Young both forced the Selkirk keeper to save in quick succession before Borthwick forged his way up field and sent over a well-timed cross; Wedderburn completely missed, but Young made definite contact and drove the ball into the back of the net. Berwick doubled their lead shortly after when Atkinson headed a Borthwick corner into the net. Afterwards, Selkirk made a determined effort to equalise but the Berwick defence stood firm and claim another two points.

13. Berwick Rangers continued their good League form and moved five points clear at the top of the table with a 2-1 home victory against Leith Amateurs, their fourth straight league win. Rangers were quick to settle and were by far the better side. However, against the run of play, Leith took the lead midway through the first half when Winslow scored with a fast shot. Berwick hit back with Blythe striking the upright before McAuliffe pulled off a tremendous save to deny Blythe again. Borthwick and Wedderburn followed with shots, but at the interval the visitors still held the lead. Rangers started the second half in a business-like manner, putting the visitors under immense pressure. However, the Amateurs defended solidly with McAuliffe being their saviour on several occasions. Then Atkinson scored the goal of the match with a 35-yard free kick that left McAuliffe helpless. With only ten minutes remaining Leith came more into the game as both teams battled for the winning goal. Atkinson went close with a repeat of his earlier free kick before Blythe made the opening that enabled Wilson to score the deciding goal. The entire Leith team protested, for some fancied infringement, but the referee allowed the goal to stand.

20. Berwick Rangers' unbeaten League run came to an end with the visit of Edinburgh University to Shielfield Park. Berwick were by far the better side and had the lion's share of the play, but a slack start to the second half enabled the University to turn a two-goal deficit into a goal lead. Wilson opened the scoring from a Borthwick cross on the half-hour mark and a few minutes later Atkinson headed home a Blythe centre for number two. Danks reduced the leeway shortly after the interval, with a hot shot that gave Patterson little chance, and Pringle levelled the score soon after. Rangers regained their supremacy at this point but could not prevent Pringle from edging the Students ahead when he hit home Hodge's cross in the 75th minute.


4. Berwick Rangers suffered another League defeat, this time against Vale of Leithen, despite having as much of the play as the home side. Nesbit sent in a stinging 20-yard shot to open Vale's account as the homesters took up the early running. However, Rangers were unlucky when Lee grazing the crossbar with an excellent shot. Wakenshaw twice saved the situation when Pearce got in good scoring positions but, just before the interval, Wilson scored a deserved equaliser following a corner. Lee missed a glorious chance at the start of the second half before a smart individual run and cross by Pearce resulted in Waterson regaining Vale the lead. A spell of intense Berwick pressure followed but Brunton finally raised the siege and sent Waterson away on a solo run to put the score out of Rangers' reach with Vale's third strike of the afternoon.

11. Coldstream won the toss and set Berwick to face the stiff breeze in a League encounter at Shielfield Park. However, this did not deter the Rangers as they attacked with style from the start. Keeping the ball firmly on the deck, they had the Coldstream defence on the back foot throughout the half but still failed to find the net, due mainly to Mitchell's fine form. When Coldstream did break loose it was with the aid of a hefty wind-assisted kick, which was quickly returned, and the first half ended goalless. With the wind behind them after the interval it was generally expected that Rangers would pile on the goals. However, they lost some of the thrust of the first half and the Coldstream defence was more robust. Still dominating proceedings, Berwick kept the pressure on the visitors' goal. Coldstream were seldom past the halfway line, and but for Patterson in goal the Berwick half was often bare. Eventually, Atkinson opened the scoring when he first-timed a 20-yard drive into the net. It turned out to be the only goal of the match, with Coldstream lucky to escape so lightly as Rangers got back to their winning ways.

25. Berwick Rangers put up a good show despite a 4-3 defeat against last season's Scottish Football League Third Division runners-up and winners of the Scottish Qualifying Cup, Leith Athletic, who provided this year's Christmas Day opposition. Leith were now playing their football in the Scottish Alliance League, due to the demise of the Third Division, and brought their full team. Leith settled quickly and their play was fast throughout. First blood fell to Leith when Smith got through with a lightening run and rounded the advancing Patterson before slotting the ball home. However, the visitors did not hold the lead for long. Walker failed to hold a shot from Borthwick; it seemed as if the ball was over the line, but Campbell dashed in to make doubly sure. Rangers were now holding their own and took the lead just before the interval when Campbell scored with a fast six-yard shot. Leith levelled within a few minutes of the restart, Young being the marksman, but Campbell gave Berwick the lead for a second time with his hat-trick shot. The Berwick front line was combining well and but for the experience of the Leith defence the score would have mounted. However, the extra touch of class that the visitors held led to Young levelling, and as the Rangers began to tire the same player got the deciding goal from close range.


8. Berwick Rangers suffered a 4-0 league defeat when they visited Civil Service Strollers. Rangers showed one or two changes from the team that played so well against Leith Athletic, with Campbell and Atkinson noticeable absentees. There was little to choose from between the sides in the first half. Berwick set the pace at the start, showing some good outfield touches, but their finishing was poor, whereas the Strollers had the smarter moving forward line and it came as no surprise when they took the lead just before the interval. Miller, who had been prominent throughout, played a timely pass that split the Berwick defence and enabled Bonar to score with a fast, rising shot. Rangers pressurised the home goal in the early stages of the second half and their play merited an equaliser, however, it was not to be. Miller broke through Berwick's stretched defence and scored in easy style. This set back proved to be Rangers' downfall and the subsequent play was fought mainly in their half. Following a corner Ritchie increased the score to three, and before the final whistle Primrose made it four.

22. Fielding a heavily weakened team, Berwick Rangers suffered another heavy cup defeat at the hands of Gala Fairydean when the two teams met at an ice bound Eastlands. Berwick played a different style of game from that of Gala; Rangers going for long and strong kicking, whereas the home players depended much more on short passing which suited the conditions and was much more effective. However, the Berwick backs kept the Gala attack well in hand, and it took the Fairydean fully 20 minutes before they pierced the defence when Alston's fine burst from midfield made an opening for Lowe to make the initial score. Once Gala had found their way to goal it was not long until they got another when Alston headed a low cross into the net. There now seemed to be little doubt about the game's eventual outcome, but just before the interval Arnold and Alston made doubly sure with a couple of clever goals. Gala ought to have scored another three in the opening quarter of the second half, but there were some excuses for the players missing due to the treacherous footing. Rangers could make little headway against the strong line of the Gala half-backs, but then the home side slackened off and Berwick took advantage. After a couple of raids into opposing territory a penalty was awarded. Wakenshaw stepped up and made no mistake from the spot. Gala retaliated hard and quick; a shot from Ross giving them a fifth before Hart completed the scoring at 6-1 with the best goal of the match.


5. The return of Davie Atkinson to the fold after injury made an immediate impact on the fortunes of the Rangers with a well-deserved win against Selkirk in the first round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. Piercy put the ball over the crossbar from point-blank range and Blythe struck the outside of the post with Wright out of goal as Berwick held the early pressure. Ewart opened the scoring on 15 minutes when he tricked two opponents before hitting a low shot into the right-hand corner of the net. Following a melee in front of the Selkirk goal Campbell dashed in to put Rangers two goals ahead. Selkirk reduced the leeway when Crombie was harshly judged to have handled in the area and G. Johnston scored from the spot with ten minutes of the half remaining. Early in the second period Campbell was sent a pass; both he and Pringle raced for possession and the keeper also left his charge, but Campbell at top speed flashed past both full-back and goalkeeper to give Rangers a 3-1 lead. Shortly after, Campbell was brought down heavily in the area and a penalty was awarded with which Wakenshaw gave Wright no chance. Play deteriorated slightly at this point although Rangers retained the pull of the game. Wilson missed a glorious chance to increase the lead still further when his shot just cleared the crossbar before Selkirk scored their second when Patterson got his hands to Bennett's shot but could not clear and the ball bounced into the net.

26. Berwick Rangers met Vale of Leithen in the semi-final round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup at Shielfield Park on February 26th. Previous meetings between the two teams had invariably produced plenty of goals and the result close; this encounter proved little different with Berwickers winning a ten-goal thriller. Rangers, who wore black arm bands out of respect to the late Tom "Tucker" Purves, a former Berwick Rangers player who had sadly died recently aged 33, opened in great style with a smart move down the left ending in Blythe crossing neatly, but Piercy just failing to reach it. However, in the 4th minute Campbell headed a Piercy cross into the net. Such an early goal seemed to give Rangers the incentive. Their following play was a pleasure to watch as they swung the ball around with precision. Berwick's second goal came after half-an-hour's play when Anderson failed to save a smart shot from an unmarked Blythe. A minute later, a misunderstanding in the Rangers' defence let Turner score a surprise goal for the visitors; the entire defence stopped and appealed for off-side, there being no attempt to stop him, but the referee nevertheless awarded a goal. Worse was to follow. Waterson broke through and headed over the advancing Patterson and the score was level at two goals each. This put Rangers on their mettle and Wilson put them back in front just before the interval with a low shot. The second half was played in a similar fashion to the first; Berwick attacked from the start and after three minutes Campbell met a neat pass from Wilson to put Rangers 4-2 ahead. This quick goal seemed to give Vale the stimulant they needed, for within ten minutes of the restart they were back on level terms. First Pearce got through to score with a fast shot and Waterson followed up with the other. Vale were proving to be a stubborn team. After a period of stalemate Wilson regained Berwick the lead when he shot home from within a melee. Vale were now on the defensive. A long pass by Armstrong was followed by Borthwick, and although it looked odds on that he would not reach it, he did – and crossed beautifully for Campbell to first-time the sixth. The visitors were awarded a late penalty. Waterson scored with the first attempt, but it had to be taken again, this time Patterson saved, and it was the Rangers who advanced to the final by six goals to four.


5. A return to league business saw back-to-back matches played between Berwick Rangers and Gala Fairydean. With both teams on equal points in the table, and just two behind leaders Selkirk, the games took on an added importance. As a result, Gala, who had played two games less, fielded a strong eleven for their visit to Shielfield Park. Harvey replaced Patterson in goal in an otherwise unchanged Rangers side. After an opening 30-minute spell during in which both keepers were severely tested Gala took the lead slightly against the run of play when Willis scored with a 30-yarder that slipped through Harvey's hands. Rangers made a swift and deadly reply. Within four minutes Campbell had levelled and two minutes later they held the lead. Clever work by Campbell and Borthwick created an opening with which Wilson rammed the ball into the back of the net. If that was not enough, a clearance by Atkinson let Borthwick away on a solo run from which he crossed for Wilson to score a third on the stroke of half-time. Rangers opened the second half in confident manner. Straight from the kick-off they attacked. Piercy sent Campbell through, and hit home a grounder which Tait could not hold. At 4-1 down matters looked bleak for Gala, but worse was to follow. Blythe slipped his marker and crossed for Campbell, who despite losing his footing, managed to score a fifth with one knee on the ground. Piercy struck the upright with a terrific drive before Blythe was tripped in the box and a penalty awarded, however, Wakenshaw surprisingly missed from the spot. The Berwick goal was seldom threatened with a Gala attack a rarity, but they did manage to score the last goal of the game, with four minutes remaining, when smart play down the right wing enabled Stewart to cross for Mabon to score with a close-range header.

12. Having lost the first match 5-2 Gala were determined to make amends in the return. They soon found their game and Berwick were kept busy defending. Gala, as expected by the run of the play, took the lead when Bennett's fierce shot hit the foot of the post and the handily placed Alston put the rebound safely home. A minute later they increased the lead when their left wing baffled the Berwick defence and Bennett scored with a well-struck shot. Rangers rallied, and in their next attack Campbell made an opening which enabled Lee to reduce the lead but, just as matters looked brighter, the Rangers' goal was subjected to a hot bombardment and they were lucky to reach the interval only a goal down. Gala maintained a steady attack throughout the second half. Macintosh scored a third from the penalty spot after a heavy tackle had stopped a Gala attack dead. Lowe then centred nicely for Mabon to score after which Gala were content to play time out with the honours now even, leaving Berwick's championship hopes slim to say the least.

26. Berwick Rangers won their first honour of the season when they defeated current cup holders, Coldstream, in this year's final of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup at Home Park on March 26th. Berwick played with more confidence than the Streamers, their forwards combining well, but the main feature of the game was the display in the home goal by Mitchell, who undoubtedly saved his side from a much heavier defeat. Play was in Berwick's favour from the start, the Coldstream defence being rather shaky, and twice Mitchell had to race from his goal to clear at the feet of Campbell. Another Berwick raid resulted in a penalty being awarded, but Wakenshaw shot straight into the keeper's arms. However, in the 20th minute the breakthrough finally came. Atkinson sent a nice pass to Blythe, who raced up the wing, and from near the corner flag he flashed a shot across the face of the goal. Mitchell was baffled by the flight of the ball and to the delight of the Berwick support it found a safe resting place via the top corner of the net. Coldstream responded, but their attack lacked cohesion and was easily repelled by the Berwick defence; Bell having their best chance when well placed with only Patterson to beat, but his final effort was weak, and the danger was cleared. Mitchell dealt with shots from Armstrong, Campbell and Borthwick as Rangers kept up their attack, but at the interval they had only a solitary goal to show for their efforts. With rain falling on the already soft ground during the opening stages of the second half, Coldstream tried hard to wipe out the deficit and had the better of the game. Tocher came close to equalising with a low shot, with which Patterson had some difficulty clearing, and Ford hit the loose ball just wide of the mark. However, this did not last long. Both teams seemed satisfied to play in a listless fashion on the now sodden ground with a considerable amount of the play being in the midfield. A fine solo effort by Campbell was a victim of the conditions when he slipped on the ball, leaving Mitchell with an easy clearance. Then, five minutes from the end, Campbell broke through again and this time sent in a rare shot which Mitchell saved but could not hold. While the keeper was still on the ground Wilson raced in to put the ball safely in the back of the net from six yards and put the issue of the silverware beyond any doubt.


2. The defeat at Craiglockhart eliminated the very slight chance Rangers had of ending the season as League champions, the matter now resting between Gala Fairydean and Civil Service Strollers. Due to the late kick-off time of 4.30, each half lasted for half-an-hour only, and without a breather at half-time. After the initial period of testing each other's goalkeeper, the game was confined to midfield. The stalemate was broken when Stevens opened the scoring for the Students in a one-on-one with Wilson. However, Rangers replied in the next minute when Smith accepted a neat Armstrong pass and netted from close range. Rangers kept up the pressure, and several raking drives were well held by Gracie. Then, against the run of play, the Students forced a corner from which Russell put them back in the lead. Following this the Students received a penalty kick, but Smith's shot hit the upright. Berwick kept a heavy pressure on the home goal in the second half. A splendid shot by Atkinson struck the underside of the crossbar and rebounded onto the goal line without going over. Piercy then headed against the bar and Campbell broke through twice but put wide. From a quick breakaway Stevens scored a third for the Students from a cross by Hodge and Berwick looked a beaten side despite having the lion's share of the play. Ten minutes from time Rangers reduced the lead through Campbell, and for the remaining minutes pressed continually, but they were unable to obtain the equaliser that they at least deserved due to Gracie saving repeatedly.

16. Newcastle Bohemians visited Berwick at the Easter weekend with ex-Berwick Rangers favourite, William Gregson, in their ranks. Gregson was bar far the best player on the park and contributed to the Rangers downfall with a well taken hat-trick. Despite being under strength, goals from Wilson and Hush gave Berwick a 2-0 lead after only 35 minutes' play. However, the slick-moving Bohemians soon levelled with two quick goals from Gregson before the interval. Gregson put the Bohemians in front with his hat-trick goal a few minutes into the second half only for Crombie to level from the penalty spot. It was at this point that the visitors' more constructive play began to tell on the tiring Rangers defence. Short drove home a fourth counter from a scrimmage and with the Berwick backs in disarray Pyke scored a fifth and final goal.

23. Berwick Rangers completed their East of Scotland League campaign with an "away fixture at home" against Leith Amateurs. The match should have been played earlier in the season but, due to poor home gates, Leith decided to scratch. However, in the financial interests of both clubs, Leith decided to travel, with the promise of a better gate at Shielfield Park. However, a very low turnout watched the Blythe send in a beautiful cross which Piercy headed into the net to give Rangers an early lead and, after keeping the pressure on the Leith defence throughout the opening period, Wilson headed in a second shortly before the interval. On the restart Wilson put Rangers three ahead when his powerful shot rebounded off the keeper and regaining possession, he ran the ball into the net. Leith made great strides to reduce the score, but Berwick had not finished; Smith, carrying the ball out to the left, put in a good cross despite the attentions of Douglas, from which Blythe added a fourth. From this point Leith had the bulk of the play with Rangers content to sit back. A penalty kick by Swanson reduced the lead and shortly after Desson, with a terrific shot, scored a second Leith goal. Patterson pulled off a couple of fine saves to prevent the Amateurs from any further scoring in a match that was entertaining even though neither team had much at stake regarding league position.

At an end of season dinner held at the Waterloo Hotel, Arthur J. Cairns said of the poor attendances since moving to Shielfield: "There is some grudge against the Rangers by the public in Berwick. "I do not know whether it was with giving up the Union Park and going to Shielfield or not? "Some say it is too far away from the town, but when 22 women from the Glasgow district came to play an exhibition match there, a crowd of some two to three thousand turned up to see the match!"

Rangers finished the season in fifth position, midpoint of the table, three points behind champions Civil Service Strollers. Their home form had been impressive with six wins from eight played, but their away form was poor, with injuries to players and the inability to get out of work being blamed for several of their defeats. They had not achieved the brilliance of last season, and their success had fallen well short of that accomplished. The only competition in which the club made any headway was the East of Scotland Consolation Cup, being victorious over Coldstream by two goals to nil. Nevertheless, they now had the building blocks of a decent team comprising a youthfulness along with the veterans, Bob Wakenshaw and Davie Atkinson, and it was hoped that if they could field the same team next season trophies could be won.