1924/25: Last at the Union?


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 21 F H Hibernian L 0-3
23 ESL H Leith Amateurs L 0-1
30 EQC 1 H Selkirk W 5-1
Sep 6 SQC 1 A Selkirk W 5-0
13 ESL H Gala Fairydean W 5-1
20 SQC 2 A Peebles Rovers L 0-2
27 EQC 2 A Corstorphine Amateurs L 0-1
Oct 4 ESL A Leith Amateurs W 1-0
11 ESL A Coldstream D 2-2
18 ESL H Coldstream D 1-1
25 KC 1 H Clerwood Amateurs W 6-4
Nov 1 KC 2 H Leith Amateurs L 1-2
8 ESL A Vale of Leithen L 4-10
15 ESL H Vale of Leithen W 4-0
29 ESL A Gala Fairydean D 2-2
Dec 13 ESL A Selkirk W 2-1
20 F A Coldstream L 1-3
25 F H Raith Rovers L 1-6
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 3 ESL H Civil Service Strollers L 1-2
10 ESL H Selkirk D 2-2
24 BC SF A Vale of Leithen W 2-1
Feb 7 ECC 1 A Selkirk W 1-0
21 PS 1L1 A Vale of Leithen L 1-4
28 ECC SF H Corstorphine Amateurs L 3-4
Mar 7 F H Coldstream W 3-0
14 PS 1L2 H Vale of Leithen W 2-1
Apr 4 BC F N Coldstream L 0-3
11 F H Newcastle Bohemians W 4-3
18 ESL A Civil Service Strollers 2-3
30 F H Falkirk L 0-5
East of Scotland League
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Vale of Leithen 12 6 0 0 35 7 2 3 1 14 10 19
2 Civil Service Strollers 12 4 1 1 11 5 4 0 2 12 8 17
3 Berwick Rangers 12 3 1 2 13 6 1 3 2 13 19 12
4 Coldstream 10 3 2 0 15 5 1 1 3 5 13 11
5 Leith Amateurs 9 1 0 3 4 9 3 0 2 9 9 8
6 Selkirk 12 2 2 2 9 9 0 1 5 4 14 7
7 Gala Fairydean 11 1 2 3 8 19 0 0 5 3 22 4
Remaining matches not played.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

David Allan 1
David Atkinson 12 6 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 6
Joe R Blythe 12 2 2 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 2 5
John Borthwick 12 1 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 1 6 1
Robert Brigham 3
Charles Buchan 1
Ernest Donaldson 1 1 1
James Gilchrist 1 1
John Gray 9 6 2 2 1 1 2 2 2
William Harvey 8 1 2 3
James Haswell 6 1 2 2 2 5
Alex Johnston 3 1 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 2 2
Jimmy Lee 3 1 1 1
Samuel Longbone 1 1
Manuel 1 1
William Piercy 1 2 2 2 3
Tom Purves 1
Ben Roughead 7 1 3 1
Jackie Spence 11 2 2 2 2
Stuart 1 1
John Thomson 1 2 1 2 1 2 3 1
Andrew Tully 10 2 2 1 2 3
Robert Turnbull 1
Robert (Bob) Wakenshaw 8 2 1 1 1 2 1 1 2 2 2 5 1
Andrew (Alla) Wilson 12 8 2 1 2 1 2 2 2 1 6 1
Andrew Young 3 1 2 2 2 3
David Younger 1
J Younger 1
Robert Younger 7 1 2 2 2 2 2 4
Number of players used: 29

The new committee was still saddled with a considerable portion of the old debt they inherited and with a £37 deficit on this year's workings it was on the rise. It was mainly the return received on away games that was the problem, but with little work to be found in Berwick the locals could not afford to attend home matches in numbers enough to make up the short fall.

At a meeting of the East of Scotland Football Association, a motion was put forward by Rangers' representative, Arthur Cairns, that all gate monies received at home matches should become property of the home club. Berwick had suffered heavily through the existing arrangement, as on only one occasion at an away match had they received more than the bare guarantee – and that was only 3d. However, the motion was defeated by nine votes to six.

In view of the poor state of the club's finances several subscription lists were organised throughout the town with the purchase of new playing strips in mind. The strips, complete with badges displaying the town crest, were later officially presented to the club before an important cup-tie at Peebles on September 20th.

Negotiations to use the old playing field behind Shielfield Terrace were still proving unsuccessful and the club were given use of the Union Park for the start of the season at least. Work on the new bridge and approach roads was making ground by the day and the club would sooner or later have to make their exit.


21. The playing season opened with the visit of Hibernian for an exhibition friendly. The Edinburgh team had promised to send a team at the end of last season, but due to other commitments they could not fulfil the fixture, which would have wiped out Rangers' £37 shortfall. A crowd of 1800 lined the ropes, despite uncertain weather, to witness the match against a strong Hibernian eleven. The visitors soon took up the running and Halligan opened the scoring with a drop shot that deflected off Atkinson's head, leaving Harvey stranded. Berwick were giving a poor performance and but for good goalkeeping by Harvey the score would have increased before the interval. On the restart Hibs were on the attack within seconds and Thomson found the net with a hard shot that skimmed the underside of the bar on its way. Except for the occasional breakaway Rangers were seldom dangerous and spent much of the half on the defensive. With ten minutes remaining, Halligan scored with an unstoppable shot to make the score 3-0 to the Edinburgh men.

23. Berwick Rangers opened their League programme with a home defeat at the hands of Leith Amateurs. The better team on the day won; of that there was no doubt. Leith's outfield play was outstanding, and Berwick were lucky to get off as lightly as the 1-0 scoreline suggests. The Amateurs scored shortly after the start of the second half. Atkinson was forced to concede a corner on the left wing. Haswell cleared, but only as far as Sanderson who returned the ball into the goalmouth. This time Atkinson headed away, but only for Deeson to trap the ball and score through a ruck of players. In the final minute Gilchrist hit the underside of the crossbar and the rebounded ball was scrambled into touch, but however close Rangers did not deserve to draw, and justice was done.

30. Showing three changes, and a reshuffled forward line, from the team that played so poorly against Leith, Berwick Rangers found their shooting boots against Selkirk in the opening round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup at Union Park. Wakenshaw, who had failed to appear at Leith, reappeared at half-back; Allan deputised in goal for Harvey; and Gray, a young player, took the centre-forward berth. The game overall was rather disappointing, despite the 5-1 scoreline, as Selkirk's play was not up to expectations. From a free kick in the 15th minute Johnston opened the scoring for Berwick, and midway through the half the same player added a second from a Wilson cross. Shortly before the interval Selkirk reduced the arrears with a simple goal when Allan missed a cross from the left and Douglas was standing handily to score. Continuing their attack in the second half, Rangers soon restored their two-goal cushion when Atkinson took Heatlie by surprise with a hard shot. Selkirk were now disheartened, and the home defence seldom allowed them over the half-line. Following two corners in quick succession Rangers were awarded a penalty for an infringement and Wakenshaw, taking the kick, made no mistake in putting in Rangers' fourth. Selkirk were now well held and from a cross from the right Wilson scored an easy fifth before the close.


6. Grounds were switched the following week when the same teams met in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. Harvey returned between the posts in an otherwise unchanged Berwick side that put another five past the Soutars, but this time without reply. Selkirk started brightly, but Rangers soon gained the upper hand and Wilson sent in a shot that beat the home keeper. Stung by this reverse Selkirk attacked the Berwick end, but play quickly returned where Borthwick finished a fine passing move by sending a superb shot into the back of the net with Heatlie stranded. Two goals ahead, Rangers were now playing with their tails up and a fine passing move between the Berwick forwards ended in Gray receiving a neat pass from Johnston to snatch a third goal. Selkirk found conditions more favourable in the second half, with the wind now behind them, and put Berwick under some early pressure. However, whenever Rangers were on the move, they were always dangerous. Gray beat the home keeper for goal number four and following a late corner Atkinson headed into the top corner to secure Berwick's fifth.

13. Berwick Rangers continued their scoring streak by hitting five past Gala Fairydean in a home League fixture. However, Berwick were on the receiving end first. From the kick-off Hendry crossed to the left of the goal where Hogg landed at the right moment to send past Harvey within the first minute. This early set back did not upset the Rangers, however, as from that point on Gala were more on the defensive than in attack, but Wright, in the visitors' goal, always seemed to be in the right place at the right time and he time and time again thwarted the Berwick attack. Wilson, however, gave him little chance in the 20th minute when, following a good piece of work on the right, he secured the equaliser with a shot just inside the post. The continued pressure was bound to give Rangers the lead and no one was surprised when Wilson's long rising shot went through the keeper's outstretched hands and under the bar. Gray put Berwick further ahead on the stroke of half-time when, after receiving Borthwick's low cross from near the corner flag, he left the keeper guessing with his close-range shot. The first twenty minutes of the second half was a tale of lost chances as far as Berwick were concerned with Borthwick, Gray and Wilson equal sinners. However, the game was all over bar the shouting when Atkinson, who was standing in an obvious off-side position, received the ball; he waltzed across the goal with it, fully expecting to hear the whistle, but it never blew and he placed it out of Wright's reach in the far corner, much to the annoyance of the Gala side. Two minutes later Gray scored the goal of the match. Securing possession some thirty yards out he beat all comers before unleashing a shot that Wright simply did not see.

20. Berwick's newfound scoring confidence face a stiff test when they were drawn away to Scottish Football League Third Division side Peebles Rovers in second round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup, with the winners qualifying for the Scottish Cup proper. Peebles were at full strength; Berwick on the other hand placed their trust in the same eleven that had gained them special attention in the Borders by virtue of their recent goal scoring prowess. Rumour were rife in Peebles that the Berwick line up included at least five players with a Newcastle connection, which created widespread interest, and a crowd of over 1500 turned out to see. Both teams were playing warily at the start, but gradually the Rovers' "league" experience began to show, and the Berwick defence was put under immense pressure. Harvey went full length to deny Turner, but the ball rebounded off an upright to the feet off Gossman who placed it into the net. Peebles continued to press after the interval, although Rangers did have a chance or two, and the pressure told. From a free kick awarded against Tully for hands Rutherford sent the ball into the goalmouth. Harvey misjudged the flight of the ball and Kane headed home to put Peebles two up. Towards the end Rangers tried to take advantage of Peebles slackening their pace, but they never looked like scoring and therefore failed to qualify for the Scottish Cup proper.

27. Corstorphine Amateurs provided the opposition at Clerwood Park, Edinburgh, in the second round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. Rangers had to make several changes due to Harvey, Atkinson and Johnston being unable to turn out and therefore lost their recent form. The Amateurs opened in an attacking fashion, putting Rangers firmly through the mill, and only poor finishing by their forward line kept the score goalless at half-time. Play in the second half was more even with the Rangers having the better goal chances, but with the absence of key players at the back they could not prevent the Amateurs from taking the lead. Hesitancy on behalf of the Rangers led to the goal. Marshall picked up a pass and seemed in two minds whether he would pass or shoot, but with no one closing him down he moved forward and from well out tested his luck. His range and accuracy were spot on, but Young was at fault for letting the ball slip through his hands and Rangers were a goal down. The goal rather flattered the Amateurs as until then the half had gone mainly Rangers' favour, but it was a case of taking your chances when they arise, and Berwick were out of yet another cup.


4. Leith Amateurs made the journey to Berwick to fulfil a "home" East of Scotland League fixture. The match had been scheduled to be played at Edinburgh, but as the Amateurs had recently lost the use of their Chancelot Park ground they were forced to travel. Rangers did most of the pressing from the start and only the work of Bridges in goal kept them out before the interval. Rangers had the ideal chance to open the scoring in the early stages of the second half when Douglas gave away a penalty kick after handling in the area. Wakenshaw was entrusted with the kick, but he shot straight at Bridges who easily stopped it with his foot. However, after a period of sustained pressure, in which several fine chances went begging, Atkinson finally got the reward that Rangers' play deserved when he followed up his powerful header, which Douglas had partly saved, to net the rebound. There was then a temporary slackening of pace on the part of the Rangers. The Amateurs tested the Berwick defence without result before Rangers upped their tempo and kept up a running fire on the Leith goal until the end.

11. Berwick Rangers played the first of back-to-back League fixtures against Coldstream with a visit to Home Park on October 11th. End to end football was the order of the day in the first half, but both keepers were in fine form. It took until just before the interval for the deadlock to be broken when Fairbairn netted for Coldstream following a fine solo run from the centre circle in which he beat both half and full backs alike. The second half opened briskly with Berwick having much the better of exchanges. Atkinson drove wildly past when well-placed and a minute later he struck the crossbar with a fine shot; Wilson putting the rebound over the bar from 10 yards with nobody in goal. Keeping up the pressure Rangers forced Mitchell to leave his line to clear a shot from Borthwick, but he failed to hold the ball and Wilson rushed in to score the equaliser. Berwick kept up the home defence busy, but three minutes from the end they were caught on the break; Coldstream forced a corner; Dalgleish took the kick and his shot was deflected into the net off Wakenshaw. However, Rangers were rather fortunate to equalise in the last minute. A foul against Swan just outside the penalty area looked dangerous. Atkinson took the kick, and with a thunderous shot levelled the score with only a few seconds remaining.

18. In the return a week later, Coldstream were given a hard time by the Rangers' attack in the first half, but it was they who were a goal ahead at the interval when a long range shot by R. Mitchell swerved at the last minute and went clean through Harvey's grasping hands. It was rough justice on the Rangers as they had pressed continually from the start. Undeterred, Berwick gave the Coldstream little rope on the restart and it seemed only a matter of time before their goal would fall. Wilson broke clean through but shot over. Brigham was next to have a shot, but he put past with a clear goal ahead. Blythe then went close, but his shot lacked sting. A few minutes later Atkinson skimmed the crossbar with a ferocious shot before Fairbairn did likewise at the other end to show that they were not a beaten side yet. However, with ten minutes remaining Rangers got the equaliser their play deserved. Following some neat play Blythe put over a neat cross which Johnston converted; his shot striking in inside of the far post leaving Mitchell helpless.

25. Clerwood Amateurs made the journey to a slippery Union Park in the opening round of the King Cup. Despite the inclement weather a large crowd turned out to watch. The Edinburgh club had no less than seven trophies to their credit and were through to the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup; Rangers on the other hand were current holders of the King Cup and keenly contested game was anticipated. Rangers, who won the toss and set the Amateurs to face the rain, adapted quicker to the conditions than their opponents and took the lead after ten minutes' play when Johnston's shot rebounded off a Clerwood defender past the helpless Dickson, who could not react in time due to the greasy conditions. Two minutes later, Gray increased the lead when he cleverly rounded the backs to touch the ball past Dickson. However, straight from the centre kick the visitors made ground and Elliot reduced the leeway. Two quick goals by Blythe put Berwick in a very commanding position before the now rampant Rangers scored a fifth when Borthwick placed well for Atkinson to head home. From the restart the Amateurs attacked strongly and were awarded a penalty when Spence handled in the area. Simpson took the kick and scored with a swift, low shot. The visitors were better advantaged in the second half and for a while Rangers were penned in their own half. Twice the home woodwork was rattled. First McLeish struck the crossbar and then McLean saw his shot hit an upright. However, the Berwick defence weathered the storm, with Spence and Younger outstanding, and most of the shots that did reach Harvey were of the long variety and easily dealt with. Rangers gradually gained the upper hand and kept Clerwood on the defensive, but with only 15 minutes remaining Elliot scored for the Amateurs against the run of play. Rangers continued to press and Gray made an opening from which Johnston played Blythe through to complete his hat-trick with a net-busting shot from close range. With time fast running out Elliot got his third and the Amateurs fourth of the match to complete the day's scoring.


1. A goal scored by Leith Athletic in the last-minute ended Rangers' active interest in the King Cup competition at the second-round stage. Berwick showed only two changes from the team that played so well against Clerwood Amateurs with the absent Harvey being replaced by Manuel, a local youth, and Wilson returning to the attack in place of Longbone. Up until the interval Rangers had had most of the play with Leith seldom out of their own half, but when they did get the chance their attacks were always dangerous. Atkinson came close to opening the scoring when he crashed a free kick against an upright. Gray tried to reach the rebound but lost his footing in the process and the chance was gone. A few minutes later the Leith goal was finally breeched when the referee awarded a hotly disputed penalty after apparently spotting an infringement in a goalmouth melee. Wakenshaw scored from the kick but had to take it again and at the second attempt he nearly broke the net to give Rangers a deserved interval lead. During the early part of the second half play was much faster and more evenly contested. In a Leith attack on the home goal in the 75th minute the referee evened events out when he awarded a penalty against Spence. Simpson took the kick and made no mistake. Play then became wild, with little football being played, as both sides traded knocks with no quarter shown and the game seemed as if it was going to end in a draw. However, Rangers forced a corner with time fast running out and from the melee that followed the ball was cleared with a Leith breakaway down the right. Spence failed to cut out a fine cross from near the touchline from Butcher, who was well placed at the far post, beat Manuel and thereby put an end to Rangers' defence of the King Cup.

8. Berwick Rangers travelled to Vale of Leithen in search of League points with a weakened side and paid the consequences dearly when they returned on the tail end of a 10-4 defeat. Manuel, Donaldson and Roughead played in place of Harvey, Tully and Johnston, who were unavailable, but despite the score the game was not as uneven as it suggested. In the opening minute Wakenshaw miskicked and Brunton, picking up the ball, crossed for Duthie to net. Rangers took up the running after this early set back and were unlucky not to level when shots from Gray and Donaldson were well saved by Anderson. However, following a swift move down field the home side increased their lead when Brunton slipped past Younger before beating Manuel. Vale then put the Rangers' goal under more pressure and Turner scored a third from close range. Pearce then grazed the crossbar before making certain with a powerful shot that raised Vale's total to four. Rangers tried hard to reduce the score, with Anderson pulling off several tremendous saves to keep them out, but they were caught on the break and Greaves made it five for the home side shortly before the break. Vale scored again in the opening minutes of the second half through Brunton, and at this stage the Berwick defence completely broke down. Despite Donaldson opening Rangers' account and Blythe following with a second, Vale had the game well in hand. After repeated attacks they scored four more goals with Brunton bringing his personal tally for the afternoon to six before Gray and Wilson added late goals for Berwick to bring a little bit of respect to final score.

15. The teams met again at the Union Park a week later, but this time Rangers had strengthened their defence. Harvey made his return in goal after an absence of a couple of weeks and the veteran Jimmy Haswell replaced Younger at right-back. Tully returned to the team with Roughead dropping back to Atkinson's berth at centre-half. Atkinson replaced Wilson up front with Wilson in turn replacing Donaldson. Vale, who fielded an unchanged side, had the better of the early exchanges. However, Berwick gave little away at the back and eventually fought their way clear to take the lead when Atkinson scored with a close-range shot. Five minutes into the second half Gray stuck out a foot to guide a Wilson cross shot into the net to put Berwick two goals ahead. Play was now keenly contested in midfield until Gray won the ball and took a surprise shot which struck the upright and went into the net for a third Rangers goal. This demoralized the visitors and in another strong attack by the Rangers Roughead had a good try which Anderson saved but could not clear; Wilson moved quicker than the dispirited defence to add a fourth goal and regain Rangers' pride with both points.

29. The flourishing state of the rugby game around Galashiels led to Gala Fairydean forfeiting home advantage in hope of a better gate at Tweedmouth for their return League encounter. Gala showed no less than eight changes from the team that Rangers beat 5-1 earlier in the season and included ex-St Bernard's player, Ross, in their ranks. Rangers remained unchanged and a keen contest was fully expected by the crowd which increased as the game wore on. The pace was fast from the start with Rangers forcing the early pressure. In the 20th minute, after some smart play down the Berwick right, Wilson put over a nice cross which Gray converted, giving Wright little chance. However, ten minutes later Gala were level. Penman got his foot to well-placed corner by Campbell and banged it home. Harvey got both hands to it, but it was of the unstoppable order. Berwick kept up a steady pressure on the visitors' goal and Wilson put them back in front with a hotly disputed goal from a difficult angle. The Gala players protested that the ball went through a hole in the net. Strange to say that there was a hole in the spot indicated, but the referee adhered to his decision. After the interval Rangers continued to press and play was confined mainly to the Gala half. Gala then turned defence into attack. Smeaton went close and only a last-ditch attempt by Spence kept Rangers' lead intact; however, after Harvey had had stopped a shot from Cochrane at full stretch the ball travelled to Ross who banged it home on the hour mark. With the score now level both teams strove hard for the winner. Rangers were having the better chances in front of goal. Spence hit a long drive which landed on top of the crossbar just before the final whistle at which point Gala counted themselves lucky in getting away with a draw.


13. Selkirk followed Gala's lead in forfeiting home advantage in the League when they too travelled to a soggy Union Park. Heavy rain had fallen prior to the kick-off and the ground was very greasy. Due to the conditions the game opened quietly with Rangers having slightly the better of matters. Atkinson tested the visitor's keeper when he fired in a hard drive, but Mills was equal to the occasion and saved; however, Rangers were persistent in their methods and in the eighth minute Wilson scored after Atkinson had created an opening. It was evident from the way in which the Rangers continued to press that another goal was close on the horizon, and it came when Atkinson played Blythe through and he beat Mills in a one-on-one to put Rangers two ahead with 15 minutes played. Atkinson skimmed the crossbar and had it not been for the fine form of Mills the visitors would have been more than just two goals behind at the interval. Selkirk played much better in the second half and kept up a continual attack in the opening minutes. Their efforts were rewarded when Roberts sent an unstoppable shot past Young in the 58th minute to reduce the leeway. Wilson went close for Berwick when he headed against the post. Mills again saved the day when he stopped a drive from Wilson before Gray rattled the crossbar with the best shot of the match. Selkirk fought hard for an equaliser with T. Johnston missing their best chance when he shot past from a favourable position. With the light fading fast the pace became faster and with it some questionable incidents arose. Both Gray and Blythe had runs on goal but were brought down in no uncertain manner, but the referee waved play on each time and the game ended with the howling crowd on his back.

20. Away from league duties, Berwick Rangers travelled to Coldstream to play a benefit match for Joseph Townsley, the Coldstream and ex-Berwick Rangers centre-half, who had received a bad injury whilst playing earlier in the season. After a spell of Berwick pressure midway through the opening half the home defence failed to clear an Atkinson shot and Roughead nipped in to score. However, the lead was short lived as a splendid move by Coldstream down the right ended with Tocher equalising. Neither side could claim to have had the advantage in the second half although Coldstream were by far better in defence. Rangers pressed hard but were caught twice on the break. First Mitchell centred for Fairbairn to give Coldstream the lead and then Tocher beat both backs to give the home side a 3-1 victory.

25. For the second year in succession, Raith Rovers were the Christmas Day attraction at Union Park. Despite the Kirkcaldy club fielding six reserves the match was watched by a crowd of 2500, many of whom had travelled from outlying districts. Rovers kicked off in a determined fashion from the start, eager to wipe out the stigma of last year's 4-3 defeat. Chapman forced Harvey into a series of tremendous saves, as did Miller, but Hilley was the most troublesome. In the closing stages of the first half Hilley was a constant danger and came closest to scoring when he unleashed a powerful shot that grazed the crossbar, but Rangers had made a better show of things than many expected and left the field to rapturous applause at the interval after holding out to a far superior team. However, Raith rearranged their forward line for the second half and Rangers paid the consequences. Seven minutes into the half Chapman broke through home defence and opened the scoring with a crisp, low shot. A few minutes later Hilley crossed nicely for Miller who, left with a clear shot, almost burst the net from ten yards out. Rangers were tiring fast and Raith's slick movements were leaving them standing, so much so that Moyes, the Rovers' full-back ran through and scored a third. In the 75th minute Hilley added to the score and Chapman did likewise minutes later. However, from the kick-off a bad mistake by Moyes let Rangers through and Borthwick scored. Hilley added a sixth before the finish as Raith toyed with the Rangers, who were now well and truly beaten.


3. Berwick Rangers showed two changes from the team that faced Raith Rovers when they met the Civil Service Strollers for league points at the Union Park on 3rd January. Lee, a local youth, was given a trial at outside-left in place of Longbone, and Young deputised for Harvey in goal. A heavy downpour of sleet in the morning had left the pitch in a terrible condition. The mud was causing severe problems. Close ball control was impossible as the players slithered about and the opening minutes were a scrappy affair. Gradually Rangers began to gain the upper hand and were unlucky not to take the lead in the 15th minute. Bridges conceded a penalty, but Price saved Wilson's attempt. However, Wilson was not to be denied and he beat Price with a curling 25-yard shot on the half-hour mark. The first half had provided little in the way of good football, but the second brought even less. Rangers fell away badly and not long after the start Spence gave away a needless penalty. Ritchie took the kick but hit the upright and Young cleared. However, in the 75th minute Forbes scored the equaliser from close range. Some ill feeling now crept into the game and several incidents took place which the referee failed to notice. The situation was made worse when Henderson put the Strollers ahead from a clearly offside position. Rangers were unlucky to be behind and tempers were not only ruffled on the pitch. The home support was now barracking the referee loudly as the Strollers began to waste time by kicking the ball into touch on every possible occasion, but they held out, despite some late Berwick pressure, to claim both points with a 2-1 win.

10. Berwick Rangers played Selkirk for the fourth time this season when the two teams met for an East of Scotland League return. Having easily won the previous four, the home crowd fully expected another victory but this time they were in for a surprise. Berwick were first to attack as predicted with Blythe showing some neat touches; however, the visitors' defence stood firm and after 12 minutes' play, they took the lead in their first real attack when Douglas scored from a Roberts cross. Rangers soon had the Selkirk goal back under attack and were unlucky to reach the interval still in arrears as Borthwick, Lee and Atkinson had all gone close but the inspired form of Mills in goal had kept them out. Rangers continued to bombard the Selkirk goal at the start of the second half, but the visitors packed their goal and blocked shot after shot. For all their pressure a goal for the Berwickers was long overdue when a hard drive from Wilson rebounded off a Selkirk defender to Borthwick, who made no mistake in shooting home through a bunch of players fifteen minutes into the half. Not long after, Gray was well through and in a good position to score when he was tripped from behind. A penalty was awarded with which Atkinson put Berwick 2-1 ahead. However, a run by the Selkirk team ended in Leitch putting in a drop shot. Harvey ran out to clear but misjudged the bounce and the ball trickled into the net. With the game now in its last quarter and the score level both sides strove hard for the winning goal. Lee had a hard drive saved by Mills, while at the other end Roberts had only Harvey to beat to give Selkirk near certain victory with only seconds remaining, however, he the upright, Leitch fumbled the rebound and the game ended all square.

24. Berwick Rangers travelled to Innerleithen for the semi-final of the Border Cup. Vale of Leithen opened strongly and had the best of the opening exchanges. However, Rangers fought their way into the match and forced a series of corners. In clearing the last corner, Yellowlees spooned the ball in the goalmouth and Thomson took advantage of his mistake to give Berwick the lead with a fine volley. Vale replied with Duthie testing Young with a stinging shot, but two minutes later, from a quick break down right, Blythe increased Berwick's lead from a superb Borthwick cross. The home side now strove desperately to get on the score sheet before the interval; Pearce was unlucky with a fine shot that grazed the crossbar and Young saved brilliantly twice in quick succession to deny Brunton. However, Vale forced a couple of corners at the start of the second half from which Duthie scored. Vale thereafter put the Berwick goal under immense pressure, but Rangers crowded their goal well and held on for a lucky 2-1 win.


7. Mindful of the League point recently dropped against Selkirk, Rangers included Colin Buchan, the ex-Peebles Rovers, Queen's Park and Dundee centre, in their front rank for the East of Scotland Consolation Cup first round tie at Selkirk. The Soutars held the upper hand throughout the first half but could find little headway against a stubborn Berwick defence and the opening half ended goalless. There was a complete turnaround after the interval with the Rangers now in firmly in control. However, it was not until five minutes from the end that the deadlock was finally broken when Blythe rounded off a strong Berwick attack with a clever shot into the back of the net to edge Rangers through to the semi-final round with a slender 1-0 victory.

21. Vale of Leithen gained revenge for their Border Cup exit at the hands of Berwick Rangers with a crushing 4-1 victory when the two teams met in the first round first leg of the Paul Shield at Innerleithen. Vale hemmed Berwick in their own half for long periods with clever work by Turner and Grieve causing Rangers no end of trouble. Vale opened the scoring when a smart cross by Grieve let Brunton through the defence; Young ran out to clear, but Duthie, lying handy, got the ball and blasted it home. A long-range shot by Duthie ten minutes into the second half secured a second for Vale. Borthwick pulled a goal back for Berwick, but a minute later Turner headed home following a corner kick to restore Vale's two-goal advantage. Following a melee in front of the Berwick goal Waldie poked the ball through at the post for Vale's fourth goal. The final score could have been much worse; Duthie was brought down in the penalty box when on the point of shooting, but Pearce missed the spot kick and Rangers were let of the hook.

28. In the semi-final round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup, Berwick Rangers faced Corstorphine Amateurs. Heavy rain had fallen during the morning and the ground looked unplayable, but the match went on. Despite the slippery conditions, play opened in a fast manner with Rangers doing the pressing and in the 15th minute Thomson scored the opening goal. However, the Amateurs upped their game after this and after forcing a corner Wishart levelled the score. Immediately from the kick-off Johnston was robbed of the ball and after a rush on the Berwick goal Wishart scored another to give the Amateurs the lead. Borthwick scored an equaliser from a goalmouth melee on the half-hour mark as Rangers fought back but play soon followed to the other end where Syme rattled the crossbar from a free kick with Wishart first to the rebound to complete his hat-trick and give the Amateurs a 3-2 interval lead. Rangers did all the pressing during the second half where corners were not infrequent, but goals were. The Amateurs' defence stood firm and Rangers' luck seemed to be out. It was proved when Hughes scored a fourth for the visitors against the run of play. It took a penalty in the dying minutes, which Wakenshaw netted, for Rangers to register a second half goal that their play fully deserved, but it was too little too late as the visitors held on for a lucky 4-3 win.


7. Berwick Rangers met Coldstream at Union Park as a March Hiring Day attraction. The friendly doubled as a benefit match for two of the oldest players in the Rangers' team, namely Jimmy Haswell and Bob Wakenshaw, had the added attraction that the two teams were soon to meet in the final of the Border Cup and a large crowd turned out to watch. Rangers attacked first and were awarded an early penalty, but Wakenshaw skied his shot. However, Johnston scored the first goal of the afternoon in the 25th minute from an opening created by Thomson. Rangers were worthy of their lead against a disappointing Coldstream side missing many of their first team players. Blythe was putting in some good work and it was from one of his crosses that Thomson increased Berwick's lead with a splendid shot before the interval. Coldstream played much better in the second half but could not prevent Rangers from adding a third when Johnston broke away on his own before cleverly rounding the backs and beating Mitchell in goal.

14. Berwick Rangers had a mountain to climb to overcome their 4-1 deficit in the second leg of the Paul Shield against Vale of Leithen at the Union Park. Matters were made worse when straight from the kick-off Vale made enough ground for Duthie to score with a neat 20-yard drive. This early reverse put Rangers on their mettle with Johnston, Wilson and then Atkinson all going close to scoring before Thomson headed against the bar with the keeper beaten. However, in the 20th minute their luck changed when a penalty was awarded following a corner from which Wakenshaw levelled the score. Rangers continued to press, and another corner resulted in another penalty. Wakenshaw again stepped up and gave Anderson little chance with a well hit shot to put Rangers in front. Johnston had a fine opportunity to increase the lead further a minute or two later after Thomson paved the opening, but he shot wide with the goal at his mercy. Vale came more into the game at this point and were awarded a penalty just before the interval, but Pearce shot past. The second half play was more even. Duthie was prominent for the visitors with a couple of fine drives, but Young was safe in the home goal. Rangers then slackened off knowing that they had little chance of scoring the three goals required to progress in the competition, and as a result play became scrappy with the final score of 2-1 fairly in keeping with the overall run of play.


4. The eagerly awaited final of the Border Cup against Coldstream took place at Foundry Park, Duns, on April 4th; however, Rangers fared badly, and many spectators left before half-time. Their play was wild and lacked cohesion and a goal against them in the opening minutes did not help matters. Rangers were without two of their regular players, namely Johnston and Wakenshaw. Tully deputised for Wakenshaw but was out of his position at right-half, and Johnston's replacement, Tom Purves, gave a tame performance in the forward line. Coldstream started in a determined manner and after some neat passing football Thompson scored a good goal from close range in the 5th minute. Rangers were on the defensive for much of the opening half but had chances in front of goal; Borthwick, Wilson and Purves all went close, however, their finishing was poor and at the interval Coldstream led by a goal to nil. On resuming Rangers were the first to attack, but Coldstream soon became aggressors and R. Mitchell increased their lead with a well-hit shot into the back of the net. As the game progressed, despite playing against the wind, Rangers' play became much better, but their fate was finally sealed when Tocher rammed home a late third for the Streamers. At the close of the game Berwick lodged a protest on the grounds that Buglass of Coldstream had turned out for Alnwick during his suspension by the East of Scotland Football Association, which was against competition rules and that Thomson and Wilkie were not registered Coldstream players. However, Rangers failed to lodge their protest in writing within the two days allowed, due to the letter being sent by ordinary not registered post, and accordingly it was not accepted even though the Border Football Association agreed with their stance.

11. Last year's winners of the Northern Amateur League, Newcastle Bohemians, visited the Union Park during their tour of the area. Rangers showed several changes in their line up for the game. Harvey made his reappearance in goal, Wakenshaw returned to the half-back line, and at centre-forward Rangers gave a trial to Stuart, who was on holiday in the town. In the early stages Wood opened the scoring for the Bohemians and from an infringement by Everett, Wakenshaw equalised from the penalty spot. The Newcastle men were soon ahead again when from a penalty against Younger for hand ball, Harrison, the Bohemians' goalkeeper, beat his counterpart. After two corners in two minutes, Stuart equalised for the home team and a minute later Atkinson was unlucky with a shot that hit the underside of the crossbar. Rangers were playing well at this stage and after Thomson's shot had been blocked, Wilson hit home the rebound to give Berwick a 3-2 interval lead. Harvey made a splendid save from Gillings shortly after the restart before Wilson increased Rangers' lead with a strong 20-yard drive. Berwick held the upper hand for the remainder of the game, but before the close Wood scored a clever goal for the visitors when he drew both Younger and Harvey to one side of the goal before slipping the ball into the other of the now unattended net.

18. Berwick Rangers travelled to Stenhouse Mills, Edinburgh, to meet the Civil Service Strollers in their final League fixture which was a must win match for the home side. The Strollers, with one more game to play, had to win to have any chance of drawing level with Vale of Leithen at the top and force a play-off for the championship. The opening stages favoured the Strollers, but the greasy ground was making good footing impossible and many chances went begging. However, a good run by the Rangers' right wing quickly changed ends and in their first attack they opened the scoring through a Blythe shot that the home keeper let slip through his hands. The Strollers redouble their efforts and Hunter did all but the needful with a shot that rattled the post before Henderson finally equalised a few minutes before the interval. In the second half Rangers had the advantage of a strong wind and pressed hard with both Thomson and Lee going close. However, this time it was the home team's turn to take the lead against the run of play when Hunter scored with a well-struck shot. Rangers continued to press despite this set back and Lee levelled the score for a second time when he was well placed to knock Thomson's returned shot into the net. The game was now nearing the end and a draw looked to be the likely outcome, but just before the whistle the Strollers were awarded a penalty from which Henderson scored to claim both points and remain in the running for the championship.

30. The competitive part of the season now over, an exhibition match against Falkirk was held at Union Park on the evening of Thursday April 30th, with object of further reducing the club's debt. The crowd, however, was a disappointing 500. The match, despite being one-sided, was interesting to watch. The visitors, who did not seem to exert themselves, took the lead in the 20th minute when Townsley tricked three of the Rangers, without difficulty, before playing the ball through for Dougall to score with ease. Straight from the kick-off Falkirk attacked and Dougall increased the lead further. Rangers pushed forward in search of a goal, forcing a corner in the process, but they were caught on the break and Dougall completed his hat-trick before half-time had arrived. Soon after the change of ends, Falkirk scored a fourth through a superb 20-yard shot by Scott. Atkinson had Berwick's best attempt of the evening with a long-range shot that went inches wide, but that was as near as the home side got to scoring. Scott scored a fifth for the visitors following a neat Patterson cross after which they slackened the pace considerably content to toy with the Rangers until time was up bringing the playing season, and possibly that of football at the Union Park due to bridge works, at an end.