1920/21: One Borough Club


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 19 F H Hibernian XI L 0-1
21 F H Hawick United W 8-2
28 EQC 1 H Coldstream D 1-1
Sep 4 SQC 1 H Selkirk W 4-1
11 EQC 1R A Coldstream W 3-2
18 SQC 2 H Armadale L 1-3
Oct 9 EQC SF H Gala Ex-Service United W 3-0
16 F H Leith Athletic W 3-2
23 F H St Margaret's W 5-2
30 EQC F N Vale of Leithen D 1-1
Nov 6 EQC FR N Vale of Leithen D 0-0
13 EQC FR2 N Vale of Leithen L 1-2
20 F H KOSB Depot W 3-0
27 KC 1 A Vale of Leithen L 1-4
Dec 25 F H Civil Service Strollers W 2-0
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 1 F H Berwick Grammar School FP L 2-5
Feb 26 ECC 2 A Coldstream D 1-1
Mar 12 EC SF A St Bernard's L 2-6
19 ECC 2R H Coldstream D 1-1
26 ECC 2R2 H Coldstream D 1-1
Apr 2 ECC R2R3 A Coldstream L 2-3
16 F H KOSB Depot W 2-1

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

John Anderson 1
Berrie 1 1
James Buglass 6 1 1 4 1
J Davidson 1
D Dodds 1
William Douglas 1 1 1
John Edney 1 5 4 1 1 5
Hugh Falconer 1 1 5 1 4 3 1 2 1 4 3
E Farrington 1 1
John Fawcus 1 4 2 1
Ernest Fenby 1 1
Robert Gilchrist 1 6 1 3 2 1 4 1
Thomas Gilchrist 1
W Goodall 1
John Gray 2
William Gregson 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1
James Haswell 1 2 4 1 2
Jamieson 1
Alex Johnston 6 4 2 1 3 1
Henry Johnston 1
Robert Lee 1 1 1
Samual Longbone 1
George Manuel 1
Joseph Marsh 1 2
William Marsh 1 1 3
George Matthews 1 2 2
S Mealmaker 1 5 2 1 1 6 1
Frederick Oliver 1
Alex Patterson 1
Tom Purves 6 1 2 5 2
Peter Richardson 1 1 4 4 1 2 3 2
Robert Richardson 1 6 4 1 2 5
Robertson 1
Joseph Ruddock 1 3
Andrew Scobie 1
Snodgrass 1 1 1 1
Joseph Townsley 1
Turnbull 1 1
Robert (Bob) Wakenshaw 1 6 4 1 2 1 7 6
William Wardhaugh 1 1
Whillis 1
Alan Wilson 2
George Wood 1 1
Andrew Young 2
own goal 1
Number of players used: 44

At a meeting of the Border Football Association on July 10th, it was decided to split the Border League this season into regional divisions with the top club from each playing off for the championship. Placed in the north section were Gala Fairydean, Hawick, Peebles Rovers, Selkirk, Vale of Leithen, and in the south, Berwick Rangers, Berwick United, Coldstream, Duns, and Kelso. However, after many withdrawals, including Berwick Rangers, a single division was organized with Coldstream, Gala Fairydean, Gala Ex-Service United, Hawick, Peebles Rovers, Selkirk, and Vale of Leithen the participants.

It was felt by many that a large part of the Rangers' problem was that the town could only support one club and that they should amalgamate with Berwick United. If there was only one well-managed team in the borough it should be as successful as the Rangers in seasons past when honours were won. It was thought that the recently formed Scremerston Football Club, who were about to join the North Northumberland League, could draw some of the better players away. However, no approach was made by United on the matter and it later transpired that they were not going to reform for the new season, leaving Rangers to go it alone in the borough.

Rangers had lost only £10 7s 3d over the course of last season, which the committee thought highly satisfactory considering the circumstances at the start, with over £40 being spent re-equipping the club. Due to the demise of Berwick United Union Park was vacant and the committee moved quickly to secure the use of their old playing field. The owner, Mr John Robertson, accepted £30 rent for the field and £3 for the use of the nearby stables for stripping quarters, from August 1st to April 30th, on condition that the club made good all damages done.


19. The visit of Hibernian to Union Park proved a great attraction for the opening of the season. Supporters of the old United as well as the Rangers turned out in force to cheer on the Black and Yellow. The visit of Hibernian had been promised last season, but the club could not find a vacant date. However, they showed their desire to encourage football in the district by sending a strong eleven for the exhibition match. The game itself was like all exhibition matches: slow at times and at others fast and brilliant. The Rangers' team shaped up remarkably well, but there were weaknesses noticeable in the later stages. Hibernian on the other hand, fielding six of their regular team, were never really stretched. The first half ended goalless, but straight from the restart the Edinburgh side put the Berwick goal under pressure. Edney failed to prevent Hunter's cross reaching the back post from where Ritchie put the ball into the corner of the net. The 1-0 scoreline at the end was a fitting conclusion to the game from which Rangers took considerable praise.

21. Berwick Rangers followed their confident display against Hibernian with a resounding 8-2 victory over Hawick United in a friendly at Union Park two days later. A fast drive by Jamieson followed a few minutes later by an equally fast shot by Buglass tested the Hawick keeper early on. For twenty minutes Rangers had the better of the exchanges without scoring and it came as a total surprise when the visitors took the lead through Hogg. For a time, it looked as if they would add to their score, but Rangers eventually got the better of them. Gallagher saved repeatedly but was well beaten by Mealmaker's dropping shot ten minutes from half-time. Matthews missed an open goal on the restart, but shortly after Gilchrist gave Berwick the lead that their play deserved. Wakenshaw added another and a fourth was scored by Buglass. Hawick were now seldom in the picture and Matthews added a fifth with a high shot. Turnbull missed a sitter before Wakenshaw followed up with number six. The Hawick keeper then injured his hand and made little or no attempt to save shots from Matthews and Turnbull who added seven and eight to the total. In the last minute of the game McEwan scored a consolation goal for United.

28. With such a large win behind them, it was anticipated by many that the Rangers would easily win at home against Coldstream in the first round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. However, Rangers let several opportunities slip and the game ended in a draw. Berwick had much the better of exchanges in the first half, with Buglass and Farrington sound at the back, but the forward line was weak in front of goal and the half ended goalless. However, in the second half it was a different story. From a corner won by Coldstream in the opening minute Wakenshaw headed the ball against his own upright and Jamieson, who was close in, put the rebound into the net. End-to-end football followed with Coldstream having a slight edge on proceedings, but with the final whistle looming they were caught out at the back and Johnston levelled the score.


4. Berwick Rangers' finishing was much better in the opening round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup against Selkirk when they ran out comfortable 4-1 winners. Forcing matters from the start Rangers laid siege on the Selkirk goal. Falconer sent in across the goalmouth, but the chance went a begging. The visiting defence was being forced heavily on the back foot and it came as no surprise when Gregson gave Berwick the lead with a fine shot. Rangers continued to press and Falconer, latching on to a defensive mistake, soon added a second. Selkirk then came more into the game and were awarded a penalty against Buglass. Douglas partly saved; the loose ball was netted, but from an off-side position and the goal was disallowed. Selkirk finally opened their account when Laing scored shortly before half-time. After the interval, the visitors played some fine football and were a continual source of danger until Gilchrist put Rangers further ahead after a long period of midfield play. Selkirk continued to have their share of the game with Berwick now relaxing their efforts. However, towards the close Rangers pressed again, and Johnston scored the fourth after Falconer had gone close.

11. In the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup first round replay at Home Park, play began exceedingly fast, but scrappy. After 20 minutes' play Coldstream took the lead when Scott placed Mitchell's cross from the right well out of Douglas's reach. Continuing to press, the home team twice went close to extending their lead, but then slackened and their attack became disorganised. Rangers ruffled their feathers when Townsley, in attempting to prevent a Rangers attack, played the ball past his own keeper and Berrie raced in to score from what appeared to be an off-side position. The referee waved aside the protesting players and Berwick, spurred on by this stroke of luck, attacked from then until half-time. Early in the second half Rangers took the lead when Gregson scored from a neat Peter Richardson cross. Play throughout the game had not been of a high standard, but now it took a turn for the worse as Berwick began to take advantage of their weight and were pulled up for fouls several times. The referee lost control of matters for a while and casualties occurred as punches were thrown with no less than four Coldstreamers having to leave the field at different times for attention. Cockburn had a fine run, but sent past, as Coldstream attacked for a while before Falconer sealed Coldstream's fate when he netted Berwick's third following a nice centre by Gilchrist. With almost the last kick of the game Murray scored a second for Coldstream. At first the referee disallowed the goal and awarded a goal-kick, but he quickly changed his mind when surrounded by the home players and he hastily blew for full-time. Coldstream later protested to the Scottish Football Association against the rough treatment of their players by the Rangers.

18. Armadale were Berwick's second round opponents in the Scottish Qualifying Cup. Rangers were offered £50 to switch the tie to Armadale, but the committee refused the offer outright in hope of a good home gate. Over 400 supporters made their way from Armadale, sporting their club's colours in the shape of blue painted shrapnel helmets and Tam-o'-Shanters with blue feathers, which swelled the crowd considerably. Armadale, who had beaten St Bernard's in the previous round, were taking no chances against the Rangers and brought a strong squad to do battle. From the kick-off, they forced the early pace and following a nice centre by McAdam, the visitors' outside-left, Weir, headed the ball neatly into the net. Rangers then gave the visitors an anxious few minutes as they pressed on goal, but the Dale defence held out. Spiers then raced down the right and crossed for Horseburgh to score a second for the Blues. Horseburgh went close in the early stages of the second half as Armadale started where they finished off: on the attack. Berwick gradually forced their way back into the reckoning and Gregson let Gilchrist away only to be brought down when making for goal and from the resultant free kick Wakenshaw scored with a low 20-yarder. Edney then made a couple of fine saves, for which he was well applauded, as Armadale regained control, but he could not prevent Laird from scoring a late third for the visitors following a throw-in to seal Berwick's fate.


9. The East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, which had been housed in the Borders since 1914, was to remain in the area for another season at least with all four semi-finalists belonging to the area. Peebles Rovers took on Vale of Leithen, the present cup holders, whilst Berwick Rangers entertained Gala Ex-Service United. Rangers had gained safe passage to the semi-final due to Bo'ness, who had other cup commitments, scratching. As for the Gala club, it was their first season that they had taken part in any of the East of Scotland competitions. Before playing Berwick, they had defeated Duns, Coldstream and Gala Fairydean and a good fight was anticipated. Both defences were on top in the early stages the teams sussed each other out. Gala were trying hardest to break through, but the Berwick defence was giving nothing away. That was until Wakenshaw fouled Harkness in the penalty area and a spot-kick was awarded. Anderson took the kick but missed by a yard. Johnston and Gilchrist both went close at the other end before Johnston scored the only goal of the half from a melee in the goalmouth to give Rangers a 1-0 half-time lead. Gala opened the second half strongly, but Rangers soon gained the upper hand with Nicol having to fist a dropping shot clear. Mealmaker then sent inches past from twenty yards before Gilchrist crossed a lovely ball that landed on the crossbar. A left-wing cross then found Johnston in a good position and, after a misunderstanding in the Reds' defence who thought the ball was going past and stopped playing, he hit a hard drive into the net. From a throw-in, two minutes later, Johnston trapped the ball nicely before completing his hat-trick and give Rangers in a commanding lead. Down hearted after this quick double Gala played like a beaten team and were seldom over the half-way line. Even when they did manage to progress further Buglass and Patterson were able to hold them as Berwick progressed to the final with a 3-0 scoreline that was rather harsh on the Service men who at times had been unlucky in front of goal.

16. The match against Leith Athletic at Union Park was billed as a friendly but was played in anything but a friendly manner. The rough element of the Rangers resurfaced with the principle offenders this time being Wakenshaw, Purves, P. Richardson and Johnston. The Leith officials were naturally indignant at the treatment of their players and after similar complaints by Coldstream and Armadale the Rangers' committee warned the players that their conduct may not only result in punishment by the SFA, but may mean serious injury to some player for which they would be held responsible for in court. If it were not stopped no respectable team would risk sending their players to Berwick. Coldstream felt so strongly about it that they said they would rather scratch their matches with Berwick than meet them again. After a poor opening, Leith settled down to play a long passing game. Downie was nearly through when Edney came out meet him and averted the danger. Wakenshaw then blocked shot from Sanderson before Rangers hit back and Falconer missed narrowly after cleverly eluding the visiting defence. Brown then came into the picture with clever work down the visitors' right, but Buglass nipped in at the critical moment and cleared. Falconer struck the crossbar at the other end with Cummings well beaten. Two minutes later the same player opened the scoring after Cummings had fumbled a shot from Wakenshaw. Leith pressed strongly after this and Downie scored a good goal to equalise after clever work by the forward line. Edney then made a smart save from a Hamilton free kick before Falconer gave Berwick the lead once more following good play by Young. For a period in the second half Leith had the locals played to a standstill. Jeffrey scored a great goal to level the score after a clever bit of football and Edney, on two occasions, only saved the situation by coming out to clear when the backs were beaten. Forceful play was then introduced by the Berwick players that the referee should have dealt with more promptly. The home support barracked their players for some barefaced fouling with elbowing and hacking common place. With fair play partly restored Edney saved a roaring shot from Hamilton, and Downie missed a great opportunity, before Wakenshaw regained the lead for the Rangers when he headed home a free kick on the edge of the box. Wakenshaw then saw a good goal disallowed for off-side and Johnston had hard lines on two occasions before the "bout" was drawn to a close with Rangers in the home corner winning by three goals to two.

23. Berwick Rangers had cleaned up their act considerably by the time the North British Railway's Edinburgh depot team, St Margaret's, visited Union Park a week later. Marsh opened the scoring for Berwick with a beautiful curling shot from the wing as Rangers played fast flowing football from the start. Continuing to press, they were very unlucky not to increase their lead when Richardson and then Davidson missed with the goal at their mercy. Gilchrist had a shot cleared off the line a few minutes later before justice was done when Johnston scored a nice goal from a pass taken up the left wing. Rangers again had the better of the exchanges in the second half. Johnston missed narrowly with a good shot before Wakenshaw gave the visiting keeper no chance with a third goal two minutes later. Wakenshaw then became sinner when he gave away a penalty with which Veitch beat Edney. Berwick again took up the running and Peter Richardson put goal number four into the net, before notching the Berwick's fifth with a well-taken header. The Edinburgh men then had their best spell of the game, as the home team relaxed, and after a clever bit of work McGhee beat Edney to score a second for the railwaymen. Wakenshaw failed to convert a penalty with only a few minutes remaining, but with the score already at 5-2 in Berwick's favour it would have made little difference to the result.

30. Berwick Rangers travelled to Whitestone Park, Peebles, for the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup Final against Vale of Leithen on October 30th. The opening stages of the game were played fast and furious with Berwick first to make headway. An early scoring chance fell to Johnston from a Gilchrist cross, but he sent wildly over. End-to-end football followed as both sides battled hard, but without result, and the teams crossed over goalless at the interval. Rangers had the better of the second half play and deservedly took the lead when Wakenshaw sent in a shot that Robson only partially cleared and Gilchrist, taking the rebound, scored; Johnston making doubly sure rushed the ball further into the net. Despite continued pressure Rangers, who were by far the better team in both attack and defence, could not find the killer goal that their performance merited and later paid the penalty. In the final minute, as Berwick were trying to run out time, Buglass conceded a corner and Kerr was in the right place to head home and force a replay.


6. The teams met in the replay at Home Park, Coldstream, a week later. Just under two-thousand supporters travelled by special train, ordinary train, motor bike, ordinary bike and charabanc from Berwick to witness the encounter as cup-tie fever hit the town with the local supporters holding high hopes. Both teams showed changes from the previous week; Haswell coming in to bolster the full-back line for the Rangers and Purves replacing Fenby at outside-right. The back divisions of both sides were sound throughout and the game developed into a duel between the defences. Midway through the second half Berwick's hopes soared when Purves got through from a Peter Richardson pass, but they fell just as quickly when he missed an open goal. Two minutes later Nesbit for the Vale did the same when Edney could only part clear Yeoman's cross. The game burst into life in the final minutes with both keepers pulling off splendid saves to keep their teams in the running and at the whistle a draw was the most fitting result. Such was the display by both defences during the game that, James Buglass, Rangers' right-back, along with Frank Currie of the Vale, were approached after the game by a director of Woolwich Arsenal and offered terms to sign for the London club.

13. For the third time, Berwick Rangers and Vale of Leithen met in the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, the venue this time being Caddon Park, Innerleithen, after the teams had "tossed" for home advantage. Berwick travelled via Edinburgh this time and unlike the previous two Saturdays they had few followers sporting the black and gold. The weather was not conductive to good football and when the teams lined up there was only a meagre attendance. Rangers kicked off playing against the high wind, but both teams were at fault for skying the ball instead of keeping it low and the opening play was scrappy. With the wind advantage Vale began to press and Dickson went close when he headed a nicely placed ball over the crossbar as the Berwick defence was kept busy. Wardhaugh and Gilchrist both made unsuccessful attempts to make headway before Purves got behind the Vale defence only to be stopped at the last minute by Currie. Rangers were just finding their shooting boots when they were caught on the break. Pearce gained possession and crossed to Turner, who dribbled the ball up to nearly the goal, before slipping it past Haswell and into the net. The game was faster and more exciting in the second half as Rangers came out fighting. Several unsuccessful corners were forced before Purves tested Robson, who came out of his goal to clear the danger. However, before he got back Purves sent in again and although Currie managed to fist the ball out the referee allowed the goal. Falconer missed a golden chance for Berwick with Pearce doing likewise for the Vale. Rangers were then reduced to ten men when Peter Richardson was forced to leave the field with injured ribs and Berwick were forced on the back foot. Euman missed narrowly with a fine shot that just cleared the crossbar as the Innerleithen men press their numerical advantage, but Rangers were in no mood to give in. With only a few minutes remaining both teams strove hard to get the winning goal. Just before time, however, Turner outwitted the Rangers' defence and gave Edney no chance with a hard shot to lift the cup at the third attempt and inflict Berwick's first ever cup final defeat.

The balance sheet of Berwick Rangers FC, which was presented to a special meeting of the committee, showed that the three matches in connection with the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup were a heavy drain on the club's finances. This, and the fact that the rent on the Union Park had to paid, explained the present deficit of £60. Mr R. Fuller, the club treasurer, offered to resign his post, but the committee refused to accept his offer and, on his suggestion, a financial committee of five was appointed to work with him. A suggestion that the club borrow £100 to tide them over its difficulties was met by two committee members walking out in protest claiming that the club under the present circumstances could never pay the money back and risked ruin.

20. Berwick Rangers, who fielded four young players on trial, defeated the KOSB Depot team 3-0 in a friendly at Union Park. William Marsh, one of the youngsters, opened the scoring for the Rangers when he nipped in and gave Lewin no chance after the keeper had failed to hold a Falconer shot. In the second half Purves went through on his own to score Berwick's second with a splendid shot and just before the close he added a third from a Douglas cross.

27. Caddon Park, Innerleithen, was again the destination for the Rangers when they met Vale of Leithen in the first round of the King Cup. The match was played under the most deplorable circumstances with rain falling incessantly throughout the ninety minutes. The game was not long started when Euman opened the scoring for the Vale. Rangers could not get going and were kept on the defensive for long periods. Shortly before the interval the home side was awarded a penalty which Yellowlees converted. The second half was played under even more trying conditions than the first with the rain turning the ground into a treacherous state. The players on both sides were having great difficulty in keeping their feet, but Pearce and Currie made the running for the Vale and added a goal each to the tally. Snodgrass scored a late consolation for the Rangers as they crashed out of the cup at the first hurdle by four goals to one.


25. After a lengthy period of inactivity there was a large crowd present at Union Park on Christmas Day when Berwick Rangers played and defeated Edinburgh Civil Service Strollers by two clear goals. Play was evenly contested in the early stages, end-to-end being the rule, but as the game progressed it was evident that the Rangers were taking the upper hand. However, although the visitors' goal had a narrow escape on more than one occasion, the interval arrived with the score sheet goalless. Berwick put more determination into their play on the restart and Snodgrass gave them a deserved lead with a 30-yard drive. Efforts by the Strollers to equalise were always nipped in the bud and in the closing stages of the game Gregson put Rangers further ahead with a well-taken shot.


1. A match against a Berwick Grammar School Former Pupil's team chosen by W. Gregson and J. M. Edney took place at Union Park in front of a large crowd on New Year's Day. The game was more a farce than anything else with the Rangers' team, who appeared not to have got over the Hogmanay celebrations, giving a deplorable display, letting the FP team run all over them. When play started, the ground was in bad condition after heavy rain and it got steadily worse as the game progressed. The slackness of the Rangers was taken advantage of by the FPs' early on and within 15 minutes Wakenshaw had given them a two-goal lead. Peter Richardson, in goal for the Rangers, did not inspire confidence at the back and Snodgrass was practically a passenger at outside-left. The School were playing smart football considering the conditions and the crowd were not surprised when Edminson put them further ahead. The home goal had a few narrow escapes before Richardson was beaten again just before the interval. Snodgrass was shifted to the goal position in the second half and the change brought about an improvement in the Rangers' front line. However, the School increase their lead to five through Clegg and Elder before Robert Wakenshaw, who was one of the few to excel for the homesters, reduced the lead by getting two goals in quick succession.


26. A barren spell, devoid of football, followed the New Year's Day game. Rangers scratched in their Border Cup tie against Coldstream, allowing the Streamers free passage to the final round. The committee were looking forward to a large gate in the first round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup with the visit of Gala Fairydean, but the Gala team left them disappointed when they scratched at the last minute. It was not until February 26th that Rangers had a fixture to play when they visited Coldstream in the second round of the competition. Coldstream were unlucky not to win as they were undeniably the superior side throughout the game with only Edney in the Rangers' goal barring their way to victory. Edney was everywhere and even when he was beaten the ball hit either the upright or crossbar. However, it was Berwick who took the lead early in the second half. Cockburn mis-judged a bouncing ball and Peter Richardson, winning possession, passed to Falconer who gave Mitchell in goal little chance to save. Berwick's lead was short-lived however, as after Jamieson had struck the upright, Skea headed through from a corner kick. Excitement ran high in the final stages. Richardson shot just wide for the Rangers and at the other end R. Mitchell did likewise. From a free kick Townsley struck the crossbar with Edney well beaten and minutes later the keeper tipped over a fine Jamieson shot as Rangers held on to finish the game on equal terms.


12. Having reached the final of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, Rangers, despite not winning, qualified for the East of Scotland Cup proper where they faced St Bernard's in the semi-final stage at Logie Green, Edinburgh. While Rangers had little hope of achieving a draw, they were confident of giving the Blues a good run for their money. However, Rangers were pinned back from the start and, after Edney had saved well from Fisher and Wilson, Sutherland opened the scoring with a close-range header. St Bernard's maintained a brisk attack, against Berwick's more crude form of play, and McLeod put the Saints two-up from the penalty spot after Ruddock had been penalised for a rather trivial offence. A splendid run and cross down the Saints' right by Fisher led to Brogan scoring a third for the home side with a 20-yard drive. With a substantial lead, St Bernard's already looked easy winners, but a determined Rangers fought back. Falconer hit the post with Stevenson at full stretch and a few minutes later he got past Summers at the back before running in on goal to open Berwick's account with a well struck shot. Although Rangers were now playing better, they were still not at ease with the Saints' attack. Welsh and Wilson both went close before Fisher crossed nicely for the unmarked Sutherland to slash the ball into the net. St Bernard's had little difficulty in keeping the upper hand at the start of the second half with only the fine form of Edney preventing them from furthering their 4-1 lead. However, after 20 minutes' play Brogan finally succeeded after receiving a pinpoint cross from Welsh and then Clark increased the total to six following a corner. The game was now one-sided with the Saints seldom stretched, but a final flutter from the Berwick attack saw Peter Richardson score a late consolation in the 6-2 defeat.

19. In the East of Scotland Consolation Cup second round replay at Union Park on March 19th, both Berwick and Coldstream failed to field their strongest team due to injuries, with the visitors far worse in this respect. Fawcus was unlucky to see his lightening shot skim the cross bar as Rangers pressed in the early stages, but Mitchell was playing a safe game between the posts and decent efforts by Fawcus and Falconer were easily handled. However, Coldstream were missing the steadying influence of Cockburn at the back and Falconer, seizing the opportunity of a misunderstanding at the back, dashed in to open the scoring. Coldstream were level within five minutes of the second half play when Melrose fired home. The visitors continued to press but lacked the killer touch in front of goal before both teams resorted to a defensive strategy. There was a total lack of excitement for a long period until Melrose burst through the home defence, but shot wide with only the keeper to beat and in the end a one-all draw was a fair reflection of the day's play.

26. Berwick Rangers won the toss for home advantage for the second replay played a week later. Coldstream, who this week had the services of Cockburn at the back, were a much better combination and Rangers had to work hard to keep them at bay. Having won the toss and electing to play with the wind behind them Coldstream soon took up the running, but their shooting was wild at times with Mitchell, Jamieson and Melrose frequent offenders. Edney was forced to make a save from a smartly taken shot from Melrose but was well beaten by the same player a few minutes later with a ball that struck the underside of the crossbar before rebounding behind the line. This stroke of luck gave Coldstream the necessary stimulus and Melrose sent narrowly wide before a long shot by Gray was cleverly taken from under the bar by Edney. Melrose missed narrowly on two more occasions before the teams changed ends. The second half saw even more chances missed. Rangers, with the wind now behind them, seemed totally unable to control the ball. Falconer had several attempts to get through, but on each occasion Gray nipped in and robbed him as he was about to shoot. However, the Coldstream goal led a charmed life before it finally succumbed to the inevitable in the final quarter. Mitchell was forced to concede a corner from which a goalmouth melee resulted. Three Berwick forwards had failed to score before Haswell dashed through the jumble and gave Mitchell no earthly chance with a straight drive. Coldstream took a larger share of the game afterwards but with no further scoring extra time was played. Despite end-to-end attacks, neither side could break the deadlock and the teams were to meet again for a fourth time of asking.


2. A crowd of over a thousand lined the ropes at Home Park, Coldstream to witness the fourth meeting between the teams. No one could have grumbled that they did not get their money's worth of excitement as the issue was in doubt right up to the final whistle. Play opened fast with Coldstream on the attack, but ineffective shooting was costing them dear. Edney was forced to tip over a free kick, and from the resultant corner taken by R. Mitchell, Wakenshaw put through his own goal. Berwick battled back hard despite this set back, with Falconer missing their best chance when he shot over the crossbar with only the keeper to beat, and at the interval finished a goal down. Coldstream started the second half as they did the first with Tait testing Edney with a fast shot before Haswell headed an oblique shot through his own goal from inside a goalmouth melee to put Coldstream two up. Rangers reshuffled their forward line and Falconer, now in the centre, became a real danger to the Coldstream defence. From a runaway Falconer scored a fine goal before Wakenshaw struck the upright with a praiseworthy effort. A fine run and shot by Gregson was brilliantly stopped by Mitchell in goal, but unfortunately for Coldstream, Cockburn, who was dashing in to assist his keeper, diverted the ball into the net and the teams were now level. Berwick now doubled their efforts in search of the winner, but the continued pressure began to stretch their defence. Melrose forced a corner which Haswell did well to clear, as the home team began to gain ground, and Townsley kicked narrowly over following a throw-in. Time was fast drawing to a close and another draw looked on the cards until four minutes from time when a quick throw-in by Murray found Tait who passed neatly for Melrose to score the winning goal and bring the cup-tie to an end after 390 minutes of football.

16. Rangers gave their best display of the season in their final match of the campaign against the KOSB Depot team at Union Park. The soldiers were able to field a strong eleven from the reservists present at the Barracks, which included Heart of Midlothian player, Kane, and Maxwell of Hibernian. The game, played in front of a large crowd, was keenly contested, but in friendly spirit. Rangers opened the scoring in the fifteenth minute when a fast shot by Gilchrist left the keeper guessing and Falconer dashed into net. The Borderers retaliated with determination, but Rangers fought back and held the whip hand until the interval without adding to their score. Second half play had only been in progress for about ten minutes when Fawcus scored with a thunderous shot that gave Kane little chance to save. Play then evened out but, nearing the close, a misunderstanding between the Rangers' backs let Maxwell in to score a late consolation.

The match ended a rather remarkable season both on and off the field. The club had no trophy to show the result of their season's efforts, but for the first time in the club's history they had reached the semi-final of the East of Scotland Cup. A remarkable number of drawn games took place: three with Vale of Leithen in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup and four with Coldstream in the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. On the financial side, the club started the season with a £10 debt. The replayed cup-ties made travelling expenses heavy at £140, but gate receipts amounting to £413 and £160 from the Ewart Cup, a competition arranged by the club for the local junior teams, helped to record a balance of £62 14s 6d in hand – the largest in the club's history to date.