1921/22: A Professional Touch


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 20 F H Duns D 2-2
27 EQC 1 H Vale of Leithen L 1-2
Sep 3 SQC 1 H Duns W 5-2
8 F H KOSB Depot W 2-1
15 F A Scremerston D 1-1
17 SQC 2 H Gala Fairydean D 2-2
24 SQC 2R A Gala Fairydean L 1-2
Oct 1 BL A Duns W 7-3
8 KC 2 A Coldstream D 2-2
15 KC 2R H Coldstream D 1-1
29 KC 2R2 H Coldstream W 2-0
Nov 19 KC SF A Leith Athletic L 0-3
26 F H Cumledge Mill W 7-2
Dec 3 BL H Duns W 5-0
26 F H Civil Service Strollers W 3-2
Jan 2 F H Foulden Wanderers D 0-0
Feb 11 BC 1 H Vale of Leithen W 5-2
18 ECC 1 A Gala Fairydean W 2-1
25 BC SF H Peebles Rovers D 1-1
Mar 4 ECC SF H Coldstream D 1-1
11 ECC SFR A Coldstream W 2-1
18 BC SFR A Peebles Rovers W 1-0
25 ECC F N Civil Service Strollers W 4-0
Apr 8 BC F N Coldstream L 0-2
17 F H St Rollox W 2-0
May 4 F H Scremerston W 2-1
11 F H Scremerston D 3-3

Border League

 South Section
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Berwick Rangers 2 1 0 0 5 0 1 0 0 7 3 4
2 Coldstream 1 1 0 0 6 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
3 Duns 2 0 0 1 3 7 0 0 1 1 11 0
 North Section
Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Vale of Leithen 6 2 1 0 9 4 2 1 0 9 5 10
2 Gala Fairydean 4 1 1 0 7 3 1 0 1 1 2 5
3 Peebles Rovers 4 1 0 1 3 2 0 2 0 5 5 4
4 Selkirk 6 0 1 2 4 7 0 0 3 1 11 1
By December, the North Section clubs had barred the South clubs from the competition due to financial constraints and the South Section was abandoned.

Vale of Leithen were declared champions after completing their fixtures and awarded the Paul Shield.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

Ash 1 4 4 2 5
Braithwaite 1 4 1 1 1
Jerry Bryson 1
James Buglass 1 3 1
Dobson 2 4 1 1 1 4 3 5 3 4
William Douglas 1
John Edney 2 4 1 4 4 2 4
John Fairbairn 1
Hugh Falconer 1 1 4 3 1 3 5 4 3 1 4 3
John Fawcus 2
Fordy 1 4 4 4 5
W Goodall 1 1 1
Robert (Patsy) Graham 1 2
William Gregson 1 2
James Hastie 1 1
James Haswell 2 1 4 1 4 4 3 6
Alex Johnston 2 1 4 2 1 4 3 3 7 2
Robert Johnston 1
W Lewin 2
Samuel Longbone 1 2 3
Mackie 1
Alex Manuel 2
George Manuel 1
William Marsh 2
Neilson 1
Orrock 2 2 4 2 1 3
Tommy Pearson 1 4 1 1 4 2 1 6 3
James Pryde 2 1 4 1 4 4 3 1 3 1
J Renton 1 1
Peter Richardson 1 1 2 1
Robert Richardson 1 4 1 2 3 3
Joseph Ruddock 1
J Smart 3 3 2
John Strasshiem 1
Ritchie Thomson 1 1
Robert (Bob) Wakenshaw 2 1 4 1 1 4 1 4 1 3 1 8 2
Andrew Young 1
own goal 1
Number of players used: 37

The committee had been given full power at the club's AGM to make the team purely amateur, professional or semi-professional, which ever they considered the best way of putting a first-class eleven on the field. It was generally thought that with a strengthened team the club would probably reach the Scottish Cup proper, bring a better class of football to the town, and with gates of between £300 and £400 possible, payments to players would not be a problem financially. The committee decided that a good sprinkling of amateurs among some paid professionals was the best way forward and in readiness they signed several players on professional terms.

After previous attempts, the Border League was split into two sections this season. Gala Fairydean, Peebles Rovers, Selkirk, and Vale of Leithen, were to compete in the north section, whilst Berwick Rangers, Coldstream and Duns were to play in the south.


20. Berwick Rangers opened the season with a friendly against Duns. Duns had played only in secondary competitions last season but had put together a good squad of players and were determined to retake their place amongst the top clubs of Border football. However, the spectators who journeyed to the Union Park were rather disappointed with the display given, especially by the Rangers side. Certainly, there was nothing at stake, but this was hardly sufficient reason why some of the Berwick players should serve up such unworthy form. For the first quarter of the game Rangers had the advantage and the Duns goal was continually under pressure, but the finishing was poor, and the visiting keeper very had little to do. Duns put more heart into their work but left Falconer unwatched and after receiving a fine pass from Goodall on the left wing he scored with a cracking shot. Play then evened out, but the visitors were showing the better football skills and goals from Stevenson and Manuel gave them a 2-1 half-time lead. Play in the second half was even throughout, but both defences were on top. Pryde, however, managed to break through down the Duns' left before hitting the back of the net with a superb shot to level the score and save Berwick's blushes.

27. Rangers put up a far better performance when they met the strong Vale of Leithen side in the first round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. Although beaten by the odd goal in three, the home supporters were not downhearted considering the fact the Vale team had played together for several seasons and knew one another's play. Berwick put up a good fight and with a little luck might easily have turned the tables. Rangers won the toss and elected to play towards the town end with the strong prevailing wind behind them. Falconer and Pryde tested the visiting keeper early on with long range shots, but the opposing defence was giving nothing away. Gradually they worked their way around the Blue's defence, but Rangers were suffering from cup-tie fever and could make nothing of their chances, paying heavily as a result. From a throw-in, the Vale got away and a nice cross by R. Euman was headed well out of Edney's reach by Turner to open the scoring. Berwick kept up the pressure as they searched for an equaliser with Falconer, Johnston and Pryde all going close before the interval. The second half opened quietly, but the visitors now had the wind at their backs and Kerr, eluding the home defence, soon scored Vale's second goal. Rangers tightened their defence and took the fight deep into the opposing end. Johnston sent in a hot shot that Robson only just kept out and Falconer sent the ball inches over after a splendid run and cross by Pryde. A late Berwick breakaway saw Falconer send Goodall on his way to score and they battled vainly in search of the equaliser until the very end.


3. Berwick Rangers showed several positional changes from the team defeated by Vale of Leithen when they met Duns in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. However, Duns put up a tremendous fight in the first half and at the interval led by two goals to one. Law opened the scoring for Duns following a misunderstanding by the Berwick defence. This put Rangers on their mettle and a Johnston move let Dobson away to equalise a few minutes later. Duns continued to give their all and from a fine move by their forward line Manuel raced through to give them a 2-1 interval lead. At the start of the second half Rangers rearranged their forwards: Dobson going to centre, Pearson going inside-left and Falconer going outside-right. This seemed to have the desired effect and the Duns defence had a stiff time of it. A Haswell clearance let Pryde away and from his centre Dobson levelled the score. From a goal-kick Johnston received and forced a corner from which Dobson scored his third of the afternoon to put Rangers in the lead. Dobson then scored a fourth after receiving a fine ball from Thomson, and shortly before the close Thomson completed the scoring with a cool shot to settle the score at 5-2 to the Rangers.

8. A good-sized crowd watched a Thursday afternoon friendly encounter between Berwick Rangers and the KOSB Depot team at Union Park. The football was not of a high order and at times was lackadaisical. The soldiers had rather a strong side out, but they did not make the most of their opportunities, while the eleven that sported the Rangers' colours were more the nature of an experiment with players being selected on the field. Dobson, who was the most outstanding man in the Rangers' team, scored twice, whilst Lockyear, who was likewise for the Depot team, scored once.

15. Berwick Rangers came near to defeat in an exhibition match to officially open Scremerston Football Club's new grandstand on the evening of Thursday September 15th. The Miners, who were last season's North Northumberland League Champions, never let their more experienced opponents settle down, especially in the second half and fully deserved the draw. Dobson had put the Rangers ahead early on, but J. Patterson levelled for the Miners shortly before the interval.

17. There was a marked difference between the play at Scremerston and that against Gala Fairydean at Union Park in the second round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup two days later. There were only three changes made in personnel, but the team played like a different eleven. A large crowd, assembled from both sides of the Border, had gathered to watch the anticipated hard-fought match and there was little to choose between the teams throughout the opening half. Rangers, however, had the upper hand in the second and were desperately unlucky at the end. After pressing from the start, Berwick opened the scoring in the 20th minute when Wakenshaw surprised the visiting keeper with a beautifully struck shot, but in the 10th minute of the second half Meldrum equalised for Gala with a soft shot that hit the upright before rolling over the line. A Clever hook-shot from Pryde near the touchline gave Rangers the lead again which they maintained until the last second of the match when Watson levelled the score at 2-2 with a peach of a shot. To have the game well in hand from the start, then to be deprived of victory in the last second of the match, was a bitter blow to both players and spectators alike.

24. Berwick Rangers were quick to settle in the replay at Eastlands Park and opened their account with an early goal. Fine work by Braithwaite and Orrick beat the home defence and left Dobson with the only the keeper to beat. However, Gala fought back and equalised just before the interval when awarded a penalty. Forrest took the kick which Edney managed to stop, but Forrest got to the rebound first and banged it into the net. Gala forced matters throughout the second half, but it took until the 80th minute before their pressure paid off when Herd sent in a splendid cross for Meldrum to head the ball past Edney. Rangers upped their game to equalise, but the home defence stood firm until the close.


1. Berwick Rangers opened their Border League fixtures on October 1st with a visit to Foundry Park, Duns, where they got back to winning ways with a fine 7-3 victory. Duns opened strongly and scored first through Turner. Edney then became the busiest man on the field when he first saved a Wood penalty before making superb saves to deny Piercy and Wood again. Rangers had hard lines when Dobson hit an upright before Duns increased their lead. From a breakaway Wood hung onto the ball long enough to draw Edney from his line before placing the ball into an empty net. However, Orrick pulled a goal back for Berwick, and near half-time a penalty awarded against Thomson let Haswell level the score. The second half was only a few minutes old when Murray allowed a Johnston free kick to go straight between his legs to put Rangers in the lead. A minute later Wakenshaw played Orrick through on goal; the Duns players, claiming off-side, stopped playing, but the referee waved play and the Berwick man scored a fourth. Play then became unmistakably rough as the home side vented their anger and Pryde took full advantage of their lack of concentration to notch number five. Rangers were now having things pretty much their own way and the home players were again appealing for off-side when Peter Richardson went on to score a sixth. Play quietened down somewhat in the last quarter and Duns reduced the leeway slightly when Robertson hit home a Turner shot that rebounded off the crossbar, but Rangers still had time for Wakenshaw to complete the scoring with a seventh.

8. Coldstream, who had beaten the powerful Peebles Rovers in the first round of the King Cup, faced the Rangers, who had received a bye, in the second round at Home Park, but could not repeat their fine performance. Coldstream, if anything, had the larger share of the play in a game where flowing football was scarce. Rangers were slow to settle down and were caught out at the back early on. Haswell had difficulty with a high ball that presented Melrose with an open goal as Edney was caught out of position, but luckily Fordy managed to get back in time to clear the danger. Haswell's nightmare continued a few minutes later, however, after miskicking badly he again let Melrose through on goal and this time the forward drew Edney from his line before slotting the ball into the net. Toward the close of the half, Berwick had fought their way into the match and exerted some severe pressure, but they had to wait until the 5th minute of the second half before they finally broke through the stubborn home defence when Wakenshaw scored with a delightful shot from 25 yards. Falconer, Dobson and Johnston all went close as Rangers overwhelmed the Coldstreamers in search of the lead. Mitchell then stopped a low shot from Wakenshaw, but before he could clear his line the Berwick player was upon him and bundled the ball home. Rangers then let their pace slacken, allowing Coldstream back into the game and, after forcing a series of corners, Melrose equalised with a powerful shot from the edge of the box. The remaining minutes were Coldstream's, but although they exerted a fair amount of pressure, they failed to get the winning goal and the 2-2 scoreline rendered a replay necessary.

15. After the replay, Berwick Rangers were luck to still be in the competition at the end of the ninety as Coldstream were far superior in every department. Rangers did not give a very reassuring display in the first half, despite holding the lead at the interval through a bundled effort by Falconer, but in the second half they were outclassed. Subjected to severe pressure from the start, Berwick were forced to concede a corner from which Melrose should have scored, but missed the ball completely; however, Scott was following up and his thunderous shot hit the crossbar before rebounding over the line. Thereafter, Rangers seemed to go to pieces, and it was only poor finishing by the Coldstream forwards that let them off the hook.

29. The second replay, held again at Union Park, was postponed until October 29th due to unfavourable weather. Play opened quietly as both teams took time to adjust to the gusty wind which made the ball erratic. As time progressed, Berwick, who had the wind at their backs, gradually hemmed the Coldstreamers in their own half before opening the score. Cockburn was so hard pressed by Falconer that he hit the ball towards his own keeper who, attempting to save, punched the ball against the underside of the crossbar and the ball rebounded into the net. Mitchell later saved brilliantly with a fisted clearance from a Braithwaite free kick before he twice saved his side with a succession of difficult shots. Berwick's chances of success looked very remote at the interval with only a 1-0 lead, but they showed improved form against the wind and were first to attack. Good play down the Rangers' left by Dobson and Pryde gave Falconer the opportunity to extend the score in a one-on-one with Mitchell and the Berwick man won. With a two-goal lead Rangers weathered the ensuing storm and although Coldstream played gamely, they could not break down the Berwick defence and they progressed to the semi-final round albeit at the third attempt.


19. Berwick Rangers went down rather heavily at the hands of Leith Athletic in the semi-final of the King Cup. The game, however, was not as one-sided as the final score suggested. In the first half particularly, Berwick had more than a fair share of the exchanges and but for the keenness on the part of Dobson and Falconer they would have scored twice. The pitch at Chancelot Park was two parts mud and one-part grass, making the footing treacherous, but a fast and keenly contested game took place despite the heavy conditions. Honours were still even with only a few minutes of the first half remaining when Leith edged in front. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the box from which Ritchie scored with a straight drive. Berwick were within an ace of equalising just after the interval, but Johnston shot narrowly past. A heavy Leith onslaught then followed, but Rangers stood firm in defence and turned table on their hosts. However, their keenness led to mistakes at the back and Dowie sent in the shot-of-the-match which Edney did well to deflect and from the resultant corner Naples scored with a slanting shot. Dowie was tripped in the box during the next move and from the penalty Welsh put Leith three-up. The home team now had the game in hand and at the final whistle deserved their place in the final.

26. An unchanged Rangers side met Cumledge Mill, holders of the Dudley Cup, in a friendly at a frost bound Union Park. In a totally one-sided affair Berwick, who played in green jerseys as Cumledge's colours were also black and gold, opened the scoring early on through Orrick after a clever piece of work. Dobson then drove a 30-yarder straight and true into the net. The Mill lads hardly had a look in before Falconer, going through on his own, shot a third into the top corner of the net. After a tussle in the area Orrick added a fourth before completing his hat-trick and Berwick's fifth a few minutes later. Pryde then crossed beautifully from near the corner flag for Falconer to put a sixth goal past Straiton with only 20 minutes played. Graham, a Berwicker, was brought in for the visitors to replace the injured Fairbairn and their play steadied up at once. Edney had to look sharp to save a fast shot from Stevenson before Feeney opened their account just before half-time. With Rangers holding a comfortable 6-1 lead at the interval, Edney went into the Cumledge goal for the second half with Straiton holding the fort for Berwick. On several occasions Edney was tested by Orrick and Braithwaite, but it was Straiton who was beaten when Feeney scored Cumledge's second of the afternoon with a long drive on 75 minutes. Edney was finally beaten by Braithwaite with a fast 18- yarder in the last minute of the game to bring the home score to seven.


3. Duns forced the early pace in a Border League match at Union Park, but their play lacked method and the Berwick defence cleared their lines with relative ease. However, the Rangers' forward line failed to find the net, despite several gilt-edged chances, and at the interval the scoreline remained blank. Berwick took the game in hand on the restart and following a mistake by Thomson, Falconer and Orrick combined with the former opening the score. A few minutes later the entire Duns team stopped playing when Dobson ran through, claiming off-side, but Cook had played the Berwick man on-side and he ran on to score goal number two. Falconer missed an open goal as Rangers began to dominate proceedings. Pryde raced the field before crossing neatly for Dobson head home and the same player notched a fourth with a fast shot which the keeper failed to hold. With three goals to his credit Dobson was not yet finished in the scoring department and from a well-placed corner by Pryde he finally completed the day's scoring with a fifth without reply.

17. The future of the Berwick Rangers Football Club was again in the limelight when a meeting of those interested was held in the King's Arms Assembly Room on Friday December 17th. The balance sheet showed a debt balance of £79 1s, incurred chiefly in the payment of large guarantees to cup teams, travelling expenses and the payment of players. Calls were made by some for the club to return to amateurism, whereas others wished for the professional status to be retained. However, a vote on the issue was avoided when Councillor Alex Darling, who presided, said that could not see how the club could find a team to compete properly in the remaining cup ties unless they continued the payment of players, and he offered to stand guarantor for any debt incurred between now and the end of the season, when it was hoped that the financial position of the club would be more stable. In view of this offer, it was unanimously decided to continue the club along professional lines, and it was hoped that the club would be rewarded by larger gates.

Due to the financial constraints, the south section of the Border League was abandoned in late December with only three fixtures between the teams completed. Vale of Leithen were awarded the championship at the end of the season after topping the continuing north section.

26. Only a moderate size crowd turned out at the Union Park on Boxing Day, due to a rumour circulating the town that the festive friendly against the Civil Service Strollers had been declared off, and it certainly had an effect on the gate. The Service, who had the wind in their favour, started on the attack and some brilliant footwork was seen. However, the Rangers' defence was sound, and it took until late in the opening half before the visitors broke through when a fast shot by Cruickshanks gave Edney little chance to save. The second half was as much one-sided as the first; the only difference being that it was the home team who did most of the pressing this time. Johnston equalised from close range in the early stages before Pearson gave Rangers the lead two minutes later, after the visiting keeper had partly cleared from the foot of Wakenshaw. Blair then outpaced Fordy down the wing before sending a low shot past Edney to level the score as the Strollers began to press, but Rangers came back on the attack with Johnston snapping a third and winning goal on the run.


2. A weakened Berwick side still had most of the play against Foulden Wanderers, in a holiday friendly, but failed to find the net. However, Foulden, who included J Buglass and Peter Richardson, both former members of the Rangers, in their side, did likewise and a scrappy affair, spoiled by the wind, ended goalless.

14. After two months without a meaningful fixture, Rangers met holders Vale of Leithen in the first round of the Border Cup at the Union Park on January 14th. Vale arrived an hour late for the kick-off, due to a treacherous six-hour journey from Innerleithen on snow covered roads, by which time many spectators, despairing of the Vale making an appearance, had left for the warmer climes of home. Although the ground was snow covered the referee had pronounced it fit for play with the match kicking off at 3.30 pm, but with 20 minutes of the match remaining and Rangers leading by two goals to one darkness fell fast and the game was abandoned.


11. After an interval of month, Berwick Rangers and Vale of Leithen played the abandoned Border Cup tie with Rangers giving a surprising display to win 5-2. Berwick deserved their win, but the run of play scarcely warranted such big a score. Two early goals gave the Rangers heart, but when they repeated the performance in the opening minutes of the second half enthusiasm reached fever pitch. Rangers pressed strongly from the start and in the 5th minute Pryde's pinpoint cross left Falconer with only Green to beat. The Berwick centre slipped at the crucial moment, but recovered and netted the ball before Green, who had left his goal, could reach it. Johnston sent narrowly over with a fast shot before Peter Richardson sent a neat cross into the goalmouth from which Johnston scored the second goal. The game continued in Berwick's favour with both Falconer and Johnston going close while Pearson saw his shot shave the upright. Vale then forced a succession of corners, but Berwick kept their end intact until J. Euman, after a fine run, beat Edney from near the touchline. The equaliser now seemed imminent as the visitors pressed, but Pearce shot straight at Edney when it seemed easier to score and Berwick carried their lead into the second half. The second half opened as sensationally as the first. Almost from the kick-off Pearson scored with a stunning drive and from the place kick Johnston worked an opening for Falconer to put Berwick three goals clear before the half was five minutes old. Vale pulled another goal back when R. Richardson handled in the box and G. Turner scored from the spot. Rangers continued to test Green at every opportunity. Peter Richardson headed a couple of attacks before Pryde, with a fine run down the left, crossed neatly for Johnston to score the fifth goal. The visitors were awarded another spot-kick when Fordy was harshly judged to have handled when breasting a cross, but justice was done when Turner this time sent the ball wide.

18. Berwick Rangers travelled to Eastlands Park, Galashiels to meet the Fairydean in the East of Scotland Consolation Cup first round. A special train was run from Berwick and 69 supporters made the journey to witness a relatively poor performance by the Rangers. Opening downhill Rangers made a strong attack on the home goal. Gala were having their fair share of the attack but were caught out when, from a defensive clearance, Falconer broke away to open the scoring for Berwick. A few minutes later the same player drove the ball through, after Nicoll had only half cleared a long shot, to put Berwick two ahead. Gala then kept a determined attack on the Rangers goal and eventually from a well-placed corner Forrest found an opening to score into the top corner. Meldrum missed an open goal in the first few minutes of the second half as Gala continued their attack. Nicoll was then called upon to make several brilliant saves as the Rangers fought back. However, Gala were having the better of the exchanges but could not find the finishing touch with Meldrum, in particular, missing several easy chances and at the end of the ninety Rangers were lucky to escape with a slender 2-1 win.

25. Peebles Rovers visited Union Park to face Berwick Rangers in the semi-final round of the Border Cup. Berwick were without the services of R. Richardson at right-half, owing to injuries received in an accident at work, with his place taken by Smart. Peebles won the toss and set the Rangers to face the sun and strong wind toward the railway end. It was a good call by the Rovers as it was the sun that led to them opening the score when Gill sent in a speculative high ball, which Edney misjudged due to the sun in his eyes, and the ball past between his hands into the net. The wind fell considerably after the interval and play became more even. Rangers gradually increased the pressure on the visitors' goal, but with time fast running out there was still no sign of an equaliser for all their effort until Wakenshaw forced his way through with a three minutes remaining to force a replay with a long, high shot that rebounded in off the underside of the crossbar.


4. In the semi-final of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup, Berwick Rangers faced Coldstream at Union Park on March Hiring Day. The game was billed as "a local Derby" and some three hundred supporters travelled from Coldstream to boost one of the biggest crowds to line the barriers for many a year, with gate receipts totalling £82. Play was fast and even from the start, but the superiority of the backs over the forwards soon became apparent. However, Coldstream's McKenzie was proving as good a forward as half-back and demanded Wakenshaw's constant attention. With a fine forward pass, he sent Stewart down the wing from where he beat Edney with a shot that struck the upright before rebounding into the net. The pace was evidently telling on the Rangers as Coldstream continued to press and the Streamers were unlucky not to be ahead by a larger margin than a goal to nil at the interval. Coldstream opened the second half strongly, but the game soon settled down to a dour struggle. The Berwick forward line was the more dangerous at this point, but Cockburn was in top form at the back and thwarted their attacks. That was until Pearson barefacedly carried the ball past him with his hand before crossing to Dobson, who, with only Mitchell to beat, levelled the score. Perhaps on the run of play a draw was a fair result, but in the closing stages, especially, the local eleven were unlucky not to score.

11. Coldstream were forced to play two cup-ties at Home Park on the same day. Berwick could not get permission for a week's extension of the Consolation Cup semi-final replay and with Coldstream due to entertain Cartha in the fourth round of the Scottish Amateur Cup on the same day the Streamers risked their chances by fielding a weakened eleven in order to field their strongest side against the Rangers later in the day. Coldstream were early on the attack with Edney having to make a brilliant fingertip save to divert a Stewart shot over the bar. Play for a time was confined to the Berwick half, but the Coldstream forwards were not playing with their usual dash. Gradually, Rangers took control and Pearson tested Mitchell with a powerful screw-shot, which he saved in fine style. A few minutes later, Pearson opened the scoring with a close-range shot following a neat centre by Pryde. However, Berwick were caught cold when a throw-in by Murray found Watson among a ruck of players and he equalised with a swift, low shot. Just on the interval a penalty was awarded to the Rangers when McKenzie upended Pryde in the box, but Haswell shot straight into Mitchell's hands, much to the delight of the Coldstream supporters and his own disgust. The second half opened quietly, and play was confined to midfield until near the hour mark when Falconer put Berwick ahead with an impressive shot that gave Mitchell no earthly chance. Johnston, Peter Richardson and Pearson were all later denied by the swift actions of Mitchell as Rangers pressed and, at the final whistle, only Mitchell's brilliant display by between the sticks saved Coldstream from a heavy defeat.

18. Berwick Rangers qualified for a second cup final when they defeated Peebles Rovers by the odd goal in the Border Cup semi-final replay. The game was a ding-dong cup-tie from start to finish, but Berwick were by far the better team on the day's play. They played with a much better understanding than the homesters and were far more dangerous in front of goal. Fielding an unchanged side, Berwick were quick off the starting block. From a well-placed free kick by Wakenshaw they had the ball in the net, but the keeper was fouled in the process and the goal was disallowed. A few minutes later Pryde skimmed the crossbar with a tremendous shot. Berwick were running the show, especially down the left, with the fine combination play of Pryde and Smart and it was from the left that Rangers took a deserved lead. Falconer received the ball in the centre of the goal; Anderson came rushing out to clear the danger, but banged the ball against Falconer, the ball rebounding off his chest and into the empty net. Arrol raised the hopes of the home support before the interval with a great run and shot that sailed inches wide of the mark. The home side's play improved somewhat in the second half with Edney called into action on several occasions to deny Arrol, Shiels and Ormiston. It was not all one-way traffic, however; Falconer was dispossessed by Veitch just as he was on the point of shooting and then a cracking shot by Pearson went inches wide as Rangers continued to press until the end and enter the final against Coldstream as 1-0 winners.

25. In the final of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup against the Civil Service Strollers at Home Park, Coldstream, Berwick Rangers had their easiest match of the competition. With a four-month unbeaten record, the Strollers were fully expected to win, or at least put up a good fight, but at the end of the ninety the score of 4-0 to the Rangers was fairly representative of the difference between the teams. The first ten minutes went in favour of the Edinburgh side but, before the half had advanced five minutes more, Wakenshaw scored from a nicely swung over corner by Pryde. Pearson added a second goal after 30 minutes' play when Pryde sent a dangerous ball across the goal face that was deflected by Smart; Cochrane could only part-clear the danger and Pearson was on hand to stab the loose ball home. Five minutes before the interval Falconer put Rangers three up when he followed up Wakenshaw's shot to make doubly sure. Berwick took matters more easily in the second half with the game practically won bar the shouting and in was late in the half before they got their fourth. Wakenshaw opened the field following a corner to leave Falconer in possession and the Rangers' centre made no mistake with a shot just inside the post to put the cup matter beyond doubt. After the match, the Consolation Cup was presented to Councillor Alex Darling, President of the Rangers, by Mr Cook, President of the East of Scotland Football Association, who congratulated the club on its fourth success in the competition's history.


8. The final of the Border Cup between Coldstream and Berwick Rangers was held at Foundry Park, Duns, on April 8th. The East of Scotland Football Association had hoped to play the final at Union Park, but for obvious reasons Coldstream refused. When the teams lined up, a record gate for the ground of £61 had been paid by the crowd of nearly 2000 that lined the ropes. During the first-half Coldstream were undoubtedly the better-balanced side and took a deserved lead albeit through a mistake by Edney. From a Berwick attack Grey cleared the danger before sending Sloan away to hit a low 20-yard shot, which the advancing Edney let slip through his hands and watched helplessly as the ball rolled slowly into the net. The second half was only two minutes old when, from a good piece of work, Coldstream increased their lead. A cross by Bake found Melrose in a good position from where the veteran struck, without hesitation, a hard and true shot that beat Edney all ends up. However, Berwick's display improved as the half progressed and towards the end of the game looked like securing a goal, but their finishing was weak. Try as they might, Berwick could not get through, and Coldstream hung tenaciously to their lead to lift the Border Cup.

17. With cup business over for another season, Berwick Rangers played out the last remaining weeks of the season with a series of friendlies. West of Scotland junior side and leaders of their league, St Rollox, from Glasgow, were the opposition at Union Park on Easter Monday. However, they did not provide the entertaining game that was anticipated. The visitors showed some tricky football, but their attacks were easily broken up by the home defence. Pearson, who was a continual source of danger to the Saints, opened the scoring for Berwick with a low shot before Marsh went close a few minutes from the interval. A spell of second half pressure by the visitors did little to bother stand-in keeper Young, who had kept goal for the Rangers before the war, and in the 70th minute Pearson scored the final goal in a 2-0 Berwick win.


4. On the evening of Thursday May 4th, Rangers played North Northumberland League leaders, Scremerston, in a Union Park friendly. Rangers, who fielded a strong side, held the whip hand throughout and at the final whistle fully deserved their 2-1 victory. After the match, Captain J. E. Carr, in the unavoidable absence of Councillor Alex Darling, presented the players with medals won in connection with the East of Scotland Consolation Cup and congratulated the recipients on the way that they had stuck to the task all season. After the presentation, the teams and officials adjourned to the Union Hotel for end of season celebrations. However, there was still one more match to be played.

11. Scremerston visited Union Park a week later in a benefit match for Rangers' right-back Robert Richardson, who had a toe amputated after it was severely crushed in a work-related accident at a local foundry. Neither side was at full strength with several reserves fielded in a dour game that ended in a three-all draw. The night had been ideal for football, but the attendance was extremely poor. However, by the sale of tickets in the town the total amount raised was £11.

At the club's AGM, held in the King's Arms Assembly Rooms on Friday June 16th, it was reviled that the club was on the wrong side of £200 at the bank. Financially the season had not been a success, even though gates had improved, with heavy expenses incurred in the payment of players. The feeling in the borough still appeared to be divided as to whether the club was ripe for professionalism or it should keep to amateur lines. Home gates were at a high and easily double anywhere else in the Borders, where gates were poor to say the least. Visiting teams to the Union Park had received over £183, but when Rangers travelled, they had received just over £82, barely covering expenses. Home gates proved that a good local team would be well supported, but the club could not survive on cup football alone and it was suggested that the club enter a higher level of league football. During the season past the Border League had been run in sections and was basically a failure. However, it was hoped that next season it would be run in one complete section. Not satisfied with this, some suggested that the club make an application for admission to the Eastern League. In the Border League the home team took all the gate money, but in the Eastern League there was a guarantee of £5 each way. Others suggested that the committee might consider applying to join the second division of the Scottish Football League, where they would get a substantial gate every time they travelled, or even a return to English football by re-joining the Northumberland FA with a view to taking part in the North Eastern League. However, it was thought that the team would have to improve vastly to compete in that standard of football and as the club had already entered for the Scottish competitions it was too late to do so. It was agreed to continue the club on professional lines as reverting to amateur status would be a retrograde step.

A further meeting was held, in the Town Hall, on Friday July 7th, with the view to forming a limited company. However, after long discussion, it was decided that the club should wait a further year. Any attempt to float a company was out of the question until the club had a clear view of a ground that could be purchased upon which a stand, amongst other things, could be erected. The club had only a 12-month agreement on Union Park due to the possibility of the recent house building scheme being expand. There was no suitable field available in Berwick and only one left in the middle of Tweedmouth, adjacent to the present ground, which belonged to Lord Osborne, and impossible to buy at the present time.