1912/13: Forward Thinking


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 17 F H Spittal Rovers W 1-0
24 F H Coldstream L 1-3
31 EQC 1 A Gala Fairydean L 2-5
Sep 7 F H KOSB Depot W 6-0
14 BAL A Kelso W 5-2
21 SQC 2 A Selkirk L 1-3
Oct 5 BAL A Duns L 2-3
12 KC 1 A Coldstream D 1-1
19 KC 1R H Coldstream L 0-1
Nov 2 BAL H Duns D 1-1
9 BAL H Kelso W 11-0
16 BAL H Spittal Rovers W 8-0
Dec 7 BAL A Spittal Rovers W 1-0
25 F H Edinburgh Civil Service W 1-0
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 1 F H Dalkeith Amateurs W 5-3
18 SCC 2 A Musselburgh L 1-3
25 BC 2 H Coldstream W 3-1
Feb 1 F H KOSB Depot W 7-0
8 ECC 2 H Selkirk W 1-0
15 F H Edinburgh University L 1-6
22 F H Berwick Amateurs W 6-2
Mar 8 ECC SF A Duns D 1-1
15 ECC SFR H Duns W 5-1
22 BC SF A Duns L 1-2
24 F H Glasgow Caledonians W 3-2
Apr 5 BAL A Coldstream L 3-4
12 BAL H Coldstream W 6-1
19 ECC F N Musselburgh W 4-2
24 F H Third Lanark L 0-1

Border Amateur League

Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Berwick Rangers 8 3 1 0 26 2 2 0 2 11 9 11
2 Duns 6 2 1 0 6 4 1 2 0 5 2 9
3 Coldstream 6 3 0 0 8 3 1 0 2 7 9 8
4 Spittal Rovers 8 2 0 2 11 7 0 1 3 4 16 5
5 Kelso 8 0 2 2 6 13 0 1 3 2 21 3
Championship undecided. The remaining fixtures between Duns and Coldstream were held over until the 1913/14 season.

Chirnside United resigned from the league and their record removed from the final table.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

Harry Burgon 8 2 1 4 2 1 1 9
Joseph Cooper 4 9 2 1 3 1 1 4 2
John Dixon 3 3 1 3 2 2 2
George Douglas 1 1 1
Jack Drysdale 5 1 2 2 2 1 7
Charlie Erswell 2 5 2
Ernest Fenby 1
John Ferguson 2 1 1 3 1 4
Pike Ferguson 1
William Ferguson 7 2 1 4 2 1 1 7
James Gilchrist 2 1 1
Thomas Gray 6 1 1 2 1 1 6
William Gregson 1 1 2
Alex Hope 1
Joseph Hope 2 1 1 3 1
Leon Jones 7 1 1 3 1 2 1 1 1 6
Archie Lockhart 1 1 1
Kerr Middlemiss 1 1 1 1
Charles Noble 8 6 2 1 1 1 4 1 1 1 8 2
John Patterson 1 1 3 1 1 1 4
William Patterson 1
Jack Poulton 1
David Redfearn 6 1 2 4 1 2 1 1 1 9 2
John Reid 1
Peter Richardson 1
Joseph Roberts 1
William Robinson 1 2 2 1
Thomas Russell 1
John Scobie 5 5 2 1 4 2 1 1 9 4
George Smith 1 1 1
Robert Tait 4 1 1 3
George Thompson 1
Allan Trainer 1
William Trainer 2
Robert Wakenshaw 8 7 2 1 1 4 5 2 1 1 8 5
Andrew Young 1 2
Number of players used: 36

Supporter apathy was high on the agenda when the club met to decide which competitions to enter. From this season, all cup-ties were to be drawn in districts and it was thought that, until the club could overcome the Border teams, and therefore qualify for the latter rounds, the people of Berwick would not give their support. It was not an easy matter, as the Border clubs had the advantage of drawing their players from the Edinburgh district. However, the usual Scottish, East of Scotland and Border Cup competitions were entered, and the club applied to join the newly formed Eastern League.

A meeting was held in Edinburgh by senior clubs at which it was decided to form a new league to be called the Eastern League and open to clubs in the east of Scotland. Peebles Rovers, Leith Amateurs, Selkirk, Gala Fairydean, Hearts of Beath, Broxburn Shamrock and West Calder Swifts were all represented, and all agreed to join the new league. It was decided to invite applications for membership from other clubs, but Berwick Rangers were unsuccessful in their attempt to join and were to compete again in the Border Amateur League for the 1912/13 season.

Of the promising youngsters who played so well during the season past, full-back Archibald Bartleman was invited to join English Division Two side Clapton Orient after a successful trial with the London club at Easter. Harry Burgon returned to the Rangers from Spittal Rovers to take Bartleman's place.


17. A friendly against Spittal Rovers at Union Park marked the opening of the new season in the borough. The match was competitive for an opening match. Berwick scored in the first half through Noble and at the interval held their one-goal lead. Spittal, however, had by far the better of exchanges in the second half, but failed to find the net, handing Rangers a narrow win.

24. A Cockburn hat trick was the only difference in a friendly held at Union Park between Berwick and Coldstream. Rangers battled hard throughout and had chances galore, but poor finishing in front of goal led ultimately to their demise. Against the run of play, Cockburn raced away, outpacing both full backs, to put the visitors one up at the interval. A few minutes into the second half Rangers deservedly drew level when Scobie netted a fine Gregson cross. However, Drysdale was then injured and had to leave the field, upsetting Berwick's rhythm and, for the rest of the half, Coldstream had more possession. Cockburn scored his second from a Glenton pass, although Ferguson got his hands to the ball and, with time running out, he completed his hat trick with a powerful header.

31. A disorganised performance at Gala Fairydean in the first round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup led to a quick 5-2 exit from the competition. Drysdale, Redfearn and Scott were unable to play and, with both Gilchrist and Gregson injured during the match, although playing on, it was never going to be an easy task. Unexpectedly, Rangers took the lead when Mills failed to prevent a bouncing ball from Noble finding the net. This bizarre goal spurred Gala on and, within a few minutes, they were level when Proudfoot crossed for Feeney to score. McLennan grazed the woodwork before Gillies gave the home side the lead with a neat turn and shot. Keeping up the pressure, Gillies headed home his second to give the Fairies a 3-1 interval lead. Gregson reduced the lead with a low shot at the start of the second half, but good work by Gillies gave Feeney an easy opening to restore the difference. Sustained pressure led to Gillies putting through his third of the afternoon and Gala held their advantage until the close of play.


7. Having received a bye in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup, Berwick Rangers were without a game. A friendly with the KOSB Depot team was quickly arranged, in which the Soldiers were hit for six without reply. After a period of even play where both teams sussed each other out, Noble opened the scoring on 20 minutes when he latched onto the end of a John Hope free kick. After several missed chances, Scobie scored number two shortly before the interval. The Soldiers fell away considerably in the second half and Rangers had matters all their own way despite being reduced to nine men when both John Ferguson and Noble had to leave the field through injury. Maintaining the upper hand, Rangers kept the Military on the defensive, adding four more to their total. Middlemiss struck the crossbar and, on the ball rebounding, Pease handled; a penalty kick was awarded, which John Hope converted. A few minutes later, Redfearn dispossessed Couchman before scoring the fourth with a dropkick. Scobie ran through to score the fifth and, right on time, Middlemiss got the sixth.

14. Berwick Rangers opened their Border Amateur League campaign with full points following a 5-2 win at Kelso. The game was only five minutes old when Berwick were awarded a penalty for hands against Lillie, but the keeper saved. Kelso opened the scoring when they broke away from an unsuccessful Berwick attack and Burton found the net. However, straight from the kick-off, Rangers headed for goal and Noble levelled matters. Then, in quick succession, Drysdale and Noble added further goals to give Rangers a 3-1 interval lead. Kelso held their own for a while in the second half before a fine drive from John Hope struck the woodwork and, from the rebound, Redfearn made no mistake. Scobie added another as Berwick kept up the pressure, but Sanderson reduced the score slightly with a late consolation for the home side.

21. Berwick Rangers made a fruitless journey to Selkirk in the second round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. After outplaying the Soutars for over half an hour, and opening the scoring, they fell away completely. Redfearn headed Berwick into a 20th minute lead after Jones had centred from a free kick on the edge of the box but, by the interval, the score was level. Selkirk, on the attack, forced a corner from which the referee spotted a Rangers handball and awarded a penalty. Bishop took the kick and scored. In the second half, Selkirk outplayed Berwick and Oldham scored with a low shot to give the home side the lead. Oldham was again on target late on when Drysdale miskicked trying to clear a free kick and he steered the ball home from close in to give his side a deserved 3-1 victory.


5. As a result of travelling with a weakened team, Berwick Rangers lost both league points at Duns. It was not the fault of the committee that a scratch team was sent, but rather the keenness of some of the playing members to watch the Coldstream-Armadale East of Scotland Qualifying Cup third round match being played at the Union Park. Duns scored in the first minute when a rush by the home forwards caught the Berwick defence napping and, from a corner, Tindal's shot glanced in off the keeper. Rangers tried hard to level and succeeded a few minutes before the interval when Robinson scored following a foul on the edge of the box. At the start of the second half, Berwick's prospects of bagging the points looked bright, but Duns hit back and took the lead through Cowe. This was an unexpected reverse made worse when Turner put Duns two goals clear. However, Rangers began a heavy attack on the Duns goal which ended in Robinson securing a second, but it was too little too late and the game ended 3-2 in favour of Duns.

12. A draw was a fair result when Berwick Rangers travelled to Home Park, Coldstream, for the first round of the King Cup. Rangers were the better team in the first half, and Coldstream in the second. The home side turned out as expected whereas Berwick showed an important change. Poulton, who had until recently played for Gala Fairydean, returned to take up his old place between the posts with Ferguson stepping forward to fill John Hope's boots, who was unable to travel, at centre-half. Rangers started in impressive form and Jones opened the scoring with an early goal from a difficult angle. They continued to press Coldstream throughout the first half and were well worthy of their 1-0 interval lead. In the second half Coldstream were constantly on the attack. In the last half-hour, especially, they rained in shot after shot at the Berwick goal, but over-anxiety spoiled many chances. However, midway through the half, they drew level when, from a corner kick by Stewart, Renton headed home. Both teams battled hard, but the game ended with the teams still level and a replay required.

19. Berwick Rangers fielded their strongest eleven for the replay at Union Park seven days later, and included John Cooper, the ex-Chirnside United and Ayton forward of whom good reports were to hand, in the team. Both teams were in urgent need of funds, especially Berwick, who had been without a home match for over a month. To make matters worse, should either drop out of the competition there was no more special attractions to offer until the New Year. This added a little edge to the game and the opening exchanges were nervously fought. However, Coldstream, despite having by far the worst of the midfield play, and even less goalmouth pressure, scored the only goal of the game to progress to the next round at Rangers' expense. After a goalless first half, it was obvious to all in attendance that the first to score would surely win. From a Coldstream sortie deep into the Berwick half, Shiel shot from long range, Ferguson fumbled his shot, and the ball landed in the back of the net. Game over!


2. The conditions for the Border Amateur League meeting between Berwick Rangers and Duns at Union Park were far from good. A slippery pitch and heavy ball tried the stamina of both teams and these factors were solely responsible for a mediocre display. Berwick began the game rather tardily with only nine players on the field at the start. Despite the shortage, Rangers took the game to Duns. Redfearn was causing the visitors problems down the left, and Cooper was unlucky when his shot skimmed the crossbar. Turner was the main threat to the home defence, and he made his presence felt when his centre was too much for the Berwick backs, leaving Vallance with an easy close-range shot into the net. Afterwards, Duns had a string of chances, but failed to capitalize and, just before the interval, Tait levelled the score with a tremendous shot from a difficult angle. The teams were evenly matched throughout the second half as both tried their best against the deteriorating underfoot conditions and, at the game's end, the one-all draw was a fair result.

9. More player problems beset the Border Amateur League meeting between Berwick and Kelso at Union Park a week later. The visitors turned up a man short and had to use a local player as a substitute. Rangers on the other hand had to find replacements for four of their selected players and as a result the game kicked off 15 minutes late. However, the game was only five minutes old when Cooper opened the scoring following a smart cross from Trainer. Dixon then finished off some fine individual work with a hard shot to put Rangers further ahead. Cooper added a third from a Wakenshaw centre, and he followed up with a fourth before the teams had been on the field for 20 minutes. Kelso were just not in it. Tait had a good run up the wing, from which Cooper added the finishing touch to goal number five before half-time had arrived, and a cricket score looked on the cards for the one-hundred or so spectators who had bothered to turn out. Kelso were further hampered when they started the second half with only ten men due to injury and quickly found themselves unable to offer any resistance to the Berwick attack. Dixon put over a cross for Wakenshaw to score at close quarter before Dixon, himself, scored number seven from ten yards out after a fine solo run. Cooper then converted a cross by Noble for number eight. Goal number nine came from Noble and Dixon dribbled the ball past the entire defence before beating the keeper with a deceiving shot for number ten and Wakenshaw completed the rout in the dying minutes with goal number eleven after converting Trainer's well-placed corner.

16. After the thrashing of Kelso with a team containing three committee members, much interest centred on the meeting of Berwick Rangers and Spittal Rovers at Union Park, with many hoping for a repeat performance. Spittal were level on points with the Rangers at the top of the table and Berwick looked to take pole position outright. Rangers, with a much stronger team than the previous week, were soon on the attack, and in the opening minutes, Cooper put them in the lead with a superb strike. This early reverse unsettled the Spittalers and Rangers launched attack after attack. Cooper missed the ball with the goal at his mercy and in the next minute Noble force Riddell to save at full length. Berwick maintained the pressure and Jones, Hope, and Cooper all had likely shots charged down before Wakenshaw doubled the lead. A brief attack by Spittal relieved the monotony for a while, until Cooper raced down the wing to score a third. Just before the interval, a penalty was awarded against Laidlaw and Wakenshaw made it four from the spot. Although Spittal gave a better display in the second half, they were still completely outclassed. Berwick continued to hold the play and Scobie scored a classic from a right-wing cross. John Hope then had to leave the field for the remainder of the game but, although a man short, Berwick more than a match for their opponents. A neat shot by Cooper was deflected into the net for number six. Scobie followed this by beating the backs and making Riddell commit himself, before coolly slotting home number seven. A few minutes later, Cooper scored to complete the rout, with his second hat trick in as many weeks, putting Rangers in top spot.


7. Team selection problems caused difficulties for both sides when Berwick Rangers and Spittal Rovers played their return league fixture at the Side Cutting. Rovers had selected former players Stephen Bruce, Tom Roughead and Alex Hope, but they failed to turn up and, with the younger players dropped taking offence, they had difficulty in raising an eleven. Rangers had again to draw on committee members to make up their numbers with Trainer replacing Cooper, who had a cold, and Tait replacing Scobie, who was working out of town. George Smith, of Norham Athletic, replaced Jones. Berwick had the better of the opening exchanges but neither side looked like scoring until a few minutes before the interval when Wakenshaw ploughed his way through, and Smith, taking up his pass, gave Rangers the lead. Both teams had chances after the interval, but failed to score and, as a result, Rangers took both points and opened a gap at the top of the table.

25. A large crowd gathered to watch the Christmas Day visit of Edinburgh Civil Service at the Union Park. After a quiet and goalless first half, the second was far more entertaining. Both sides found the net on more than one occasion, but only the Berwick side managed to score a legitimate one when Wakenshaw forced the ball home from close range.


1. The New Year's Day visit by Dalkeith Amateurs proved entertaining with goals galore as Berwick Rangers won a hard fought encounter 5-3.

18. Gala Fairydean were due to play at Union Park in the first round of the Scottish Consolation Cup on January 11th but scratched at the last minute. Much to the annoyance of the Rangers' committee, it gave Berwick an easy passage into the second round and a journey to Mall Park, Musselburgh. Musselburgh played the smarter football, but Berwick, who were without the services of Drysdale and Noble, took the lead in the 23rd minute when Williamson slipped when trying to save Patterson's shot and the ball rolled into the net. However, five minutes later Shorthouse equalised, as Musselburgh began to take control. After the interval, Ferguson was kept busy in the Berwick goal. Time and time again, he thwarted the home attack with a string of fine saves, including a penalty, but could not prevent Ritchie from rushing the ball through in the 65th minute following a goalmouth melee. The game became one-sided and, shortly before the end, Hyde gave Ferguson no earthly chance with a powerful 10-yard shot to make it 3-1 to Musselburgh.

25. After receiving another opening round bye, this time in the Border Cup, Berwick Rangers deservedly beat Coldstream, for the first time in three years, 3-1 in the second round at Union Park. In the first half, play was even with both sets of forwards slow to settle down, leaving the defences on top, and the interval arrived with the score unsurprisingly goalless. A shower of hail just before the restart influenced the play in the second half, with the pitch heavy and the ball greasy. Coldstream, with the wind at their backs, opened the attack with instant result. From a Shiel cross, which owing to the condition of the ball Ferguson could not hold, Cockburn netted. The incident livened play somewhat and, after some hard work by Wakenshaw, he dropped a fine ball into the goalmouth that Noble tried vainly to convert; luckily, Scobie was on hand and did the needful. Back on level terms, Berwick's tails were up and, soon after, Wakenshaw put Rangers ahead following a neat Patterson run. Cockburn had a chance to level soon after, but Burgon came to the rescue. Berwick pressed relentlessly and, with time running out, Noble ensured the result with a well-struck third.


1. Berwick Rangers scored another runaway victory in a friendly encounter with the KOSB Depot team, played to fill a vacant date due to no involvement in the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. A bitterly cold wind blew straight down Union Park and made matters uncomfortable for the players and the handful of spectators alike. fielded four substitutes in Jones, Tait, Roberts and Robinson with Erswell making a reappearance in the Rangers' ranks at centre-forward. Play was of a scrappy nature but with Rangers superior throughout. Against a strong wind in the first half, Rangers scored twice through Robinson and Erswell. With the wind in their favour in the second half, Rangers dominated. Wakenshaw scored his first-ever hat trick before adding a fourth with a shot that glanced off a soldier on its way into the net. Shortly before the final whistle, Scobie added a seventh to complete the rout.

8. Wakenshaw continued in his fine scoring vein when he scored the only goal of the game in the East of Scotland Consolation Cup second round against Selkirk. The match kicked off half an hour late due to circumstances over which the Rangers had no control. The appointed referee had failed to turn up, and the services of Mr. Peter Richardson of Tweedmouth were called upon at the last minute. Three of Selkirk's Edinburgh based players were also late in arriving and the other eight did not, for a time, seem keen to take the field without them. Ultimately, Selkirk started the game short numbered but, despite this handicap, they kept the game moving at a swift pace and the first half ending goalless. In the second half, however, when the teams were equally numbered, play was more exciting. A well-worked Rangers' move forced Selkirk to concede an early corner from which Wakenshaw headed home. Minutes later, Cooper burst away and, after rounding the defence, Douglas attempted to foul him. He was able to maintain his balance and headed straight for goal before scoring, but the referee blew for a foul. Selkirk worked hard up until the finish but Ferguson, who was playing his last game for the club, before signing for Musselburgh, was never troubled.

15. Berwick Rangers paid the penalty for fielding a scratch eleven in a friendly against Edinburgh University with a crippling 6-1 defeat. The score suggested a very one-sided display, but it was certainly not the case. Rangers had their fair share of the play but were hopelessly inferior in speed and finishing. Exchanges opened evenly, but the swiftness of the visitors soon began to tell. Mellor opened the scoring in the fifth minute and Bolton followed suit a few minutes later with a long-range shot. Mellor had added a third before Rangers had their first real attempt at goal when Robinson hit the crossbar with a fierce shot. Berwick pressed strongly after the break, but their attacks were invariably broken by the visiting defence. Mellor completed his hat trick after a long solo run and Davis added a fifth the Edinburgh side's total. Redfearn battled through to score for the Rangers but, just on time, Corbett completed the scoring with a sixth for the Students.

22. Supporters of the Berwick Amateurs team were outraged when the result of a friendly with Berwick Rangers was omitted from the local papers. The Amateurs had been leading 2-1 when the game was abandoned shortly after half-time due to atrocious weather conditions, and many thought the omission intentional, even though Rangers fielded a very weak side including several trialists. A "return" friendly was held at Union Park on February 22nd, with a much stronger side. Jones was tried in goal, as the club looked for a replacement keeper, due to Ferguson's departure, and Reid, an ex-Peebles Athletic player who was now working at Haggerston Castle, played at inside-right. Rangers put any doubters, amongst the few who attended, in their place with a 6-2 win.


8. Berwick Rangers faced rivals Duns in the first of back-to-back semi-finals - the East of Scotland Consolation Cup and the Border Cup. The Consolation Cup tie between the teams, at Hawthorn Park on March 8th, was expected to be a tough contest and suspicions proved to be right. Both teams were strongly represented with Rangers bolstered by the "reappearance" of Ferguson in goal, although they had lost the services of Grey, who had now left the town. Feeney opened the scoring for Duns with only ten minutes on the clock and later missed a sitter. Rangers rallied but could not find the net despite constant pressure. Duns were reduced to ten men at the start of the second half when Cowe failed to reappear due to injury and, within a minute, Rangers had equalised through Dixon. It looked all-over for Duns as Berwick made use of their numerical advantage, but the home defence stood firm. Late in the game Heatlie, the home keeper, sustained a broken leg after a collision with Cooper, but Duns held on to force a replay.

15. Berwick Rangers maintained their form in the replay. The forward line showed a vast improvement on their finishing skills, and the whole team was out to win. Duns were without their two injured players, Tom Heatlie and Sandy Cowe, but played a plucky game. Their forwards were much faster than that of Berwick's, but they lost out in the finishing department. Rangers pressed from the start and, from a Dixon cross, Redfearn opened Berwick's account in the fifth minute. Jones increased the lead with a long shot after a series of corners before Duns were, eventually, forced to play on with only ten men after Hogg was injured. Wakenshaw then made amends for nullifying a Redfearn goal through being in an offside position when, a few minutes later, he scored a fine goal from a Scobie corner. Although three down at the interval, Duns had, on their first half display, little cause to give up hope. However, they did not maintain their first half form. Duns applied some early pressure on the Berwick goal and forced a corner. Scobie, receiving the ball from the flag-kick, made a fast upfield run and centred beautifully, leaving Cooper with an open goal. Cooper seemed to get his feet in a tangle and the opportunity was almost lost until Noble ran in and scored. Berwick were back in command and, after two corners in quick succession, Wakenshaw scored a somewhat easy goal from long range. Duns worked hard to reduce the formidable five-goal deficit now against them. Feeney scored a late goal, but it was of little consolation.

22. Duns gained their revenge when the two teams met for the third week in succession, this time in the semi-final of the Border Cup. The teams had tossed a coin to decide who should have ground advantage; Duns won, and the game took place at Hawthorn Park. Berwick opened brightly, but Duns went closest when Turner hit the post in front of an open goal. Dixon replied with a shot that skimmed the crossbar before good work between Scobie and Redfearn left Cooper free to beat the keeper with a simple shot through a ruck of players. Rangers went close again when Noble hit the woodwork before Duns had a spell of pressure culminating in Thomson levelling with a well-struck fifteen-yarder. Play was end-to-end as both teams battled hard but, with the Berwick defence under pressure, Thomson gave his side the lead with a well-taken goal five minutes from the interval. The second half was very scrappy in comparison to the first. Scobie set Redfearn up in front of an open goal, but the captain's shot was far too high. Duns replied with Richardson heading narrowly over. Then Scobie, who was well placed, missed the ball completely as Berwick made a late effort to draw level, but all was in vain. Berwick later lodged a protest with the Border Association on the grounds that Peter Richardson Junior, an ex-Rangers player, who now played centre-forward for Duns, was ineligible. However, the protest was thrown out on a technicality, as Berwick had not sent a copy of the protest to the Duns secretary.

24. A friendly with Glasgow Caledonians took place at Union Park on Easter Monday afternoon in front of a large crowd. The Caledonians, who were showing the better football, scored first through Low. Scobie and Erswell then became a constant menace to the Glasgow defence and their persistence eventually paid off when Erswell latched onto the end of a Dixon cross to level the score. Early in the second half the visitors again took the lead when Patterson scored a fine goal following a corner. Rangers retaliated strongly and, after Erswell had missed narrowly, Cooper scored a beauty from another Dixon cross. A penalty to the Rangers followed, Cooper being fouled in the area, but Redfearn hit the upright. Both Cooper and Redfearn then had narrow misses and Macintosh did likewise for the Caledonians. However, Dixon was again the provider for Berwick's third and winning goal with a pinpoint cross, which Cooper converted with ease, much to the delight of the crowd.


5. Berwick Rangers faced back-to-back home and away matches against Coldstream in pursuit of the Border Amateur League championship. Berwick headed the table with nine points from six matches, while Coldstream were fourth with six points from four, and a win for the Streamers would see them level second with Duns, and only a point behind the Rangers. For Berwick, their defence was rather shaky and Cooper, who hurt his knee in the first half, was nothing more than a passenger for much of the game, whereas Coldstream were in a confident mood throughout. The home side pressed from the start, and Jackson went close with shot just inches over the bar. Events then took a turn when Berwick were awarded a doubtful penalty. Jackson, in attempting to head clear, had let the ball strike his arm and Wakenshaw scored from the spot. Rangers now seemed to be in luck, for within a few minutes Scobie added a second with a soft shot. This second reverse roused the home attack and Cockburn beat Ferguson with a rasping shot. Renton went close in the next minute when just failing to reach a fine pass across the goal but, sixty seconds later, he brought the teams level with a good strike from three yards out. It was at this point that Cooper was injured and swapped places with Dixon. Coldstream were then awarded a penalty, after Drysdale fouled Melrose, and Robertson scored from the spot at the second attempt to give the home side a 3-2 interval lead. Rough tactics became the norm from both sides after the break, and the match became scrappy. Noble scored to put Berwick level on the hour, after which Coldstream did most of the pressing with Cockburn, Robertson and Dalgleish all going close. However, Cockburn atoned for his earlier miss when he scored with time running out to ensure Coldstream both points.

12. The two teams met again at Union Park seven days later when Berwick Rangers practically settled the league championship in the favour of Duns with a 6-1 demolition job. The result, however, did not truly reflect the run of play with the scoring attributed more to poor Coldstream defending rather than Berwick's finishing. Both teams showed changes from the previous week. Coldstream were without Ford, whilst Berwick were minus Drysdale and Cooper. Coldstream took the game in hand at the start, but hard work by Ferguson kept them out. Scobie, who was to be a constant thorn in Coldstream's side, opened the scoring direct from a corner; the ball just skimming Turnbull's head on its way. Coldstream responded and were unlucky when Melrose missed an open goal after Dalgleish had played him through. Redfearn twice went close for Berwick as they pressed with the interval looming before Noble finished a fine move with a goal on the whistle. The second half opened with Berwick back on the attack. However, the front line was slow to take their chances and Coldstream grabbed a lifeline when Cockburn rounded the defence before netting. Rangers then reshuffled their frontline with Noble taking Lockhart's position in the centre and Dixon moving to outside-right. Scobie put Lockhart through to score a third and Coldstream were forced on the defensive for some time. Redfearn then missed with a penalty before Wakenshaw scored with a spectacular overhead kick. Dalgleish engineered an attack on the Berwick goal, but Renton missed with the goal wide open. Dixon then cleared the danger and ran the length of the pitch before crossing for Noble to stab the ball home. Wakenshaw completed Coldstream's misery with a sixth in the final minute. This defeat left Coldstream with the prospect of having to beat Duns both home and away to have any chance of lifting the championship, but the two clubs could not agree on suitable dates to play, and it was agreed by the League committee that the games be carried over to the following season.

19. With the league campaign now more or less over as far as Berwick Rangers were concerned, Rangers set their sights on lifting the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. The final, against Musselburgh, was played at Home Park, Coldstream. With the Border Cup Final between Duns and Vale of Leithen being played at Kelso on the same day, the crowd was not expected to be high, but over 300 enthusiastic supporters, donning in their black and gold colours, travelled by train from Tweedmouth to cheer the Rangers on. Berwick were still without the services of Drysdale and Cooper, with Patterson and Erswell taking their places. Musselburgh won the toss and chose ends rather than play into the sun and against the wind. The wind, which was to play an important part in the game, was soon apparent when a Wakenshaw drive was carried back onto the Berwick goal, but the danger was quickly cleared. However, goal kicks were of little use to Berwick, and it was from one such kick that Musselburgh took an early lead. Shorthouse received the wind-assisted ball out on the wing and sent Ritchie through on his own to score a simple goal. Although handicapped by the wind, Berwick were not to be taken lightly, but a misunderstanding between Burgon and Redfearn in clearing a Lambert cross, allowed Ritchie to run through and extend Musselburgh's lead. A lull in the wind was seized on by Berwick and Dixon was unlucky to see his corner kick bounce off the crossbar and, as half-time approached, Rangers dug in, knowing full well that if they could hold Musselburgh to their two-goal lead, they stood a reasonable chance of reducing the deficit after the break, with the wind to their advantage. Within two minutes of the restart, Erswell twice had shots at goal, both of which were wide. Scobie then forced a corner before Dixon, racing down the wing, crossed for Patterson to open Berwick's account with a well-struck goal. Musselburgh's defence was now unsteady and Hynds deliberately fouled Noble as he headed for goal. A penalty was awarded from which Wakenshaw levelled the score. With prospects now against them, Musselburgh lost their tempers with the players often on the verge of a free fight. Lambert missed an excellent opportunity to put his team level again when he drew Ferguson out of position, but he steered his shot wide of the open goal. After this let off Rangers increased the pressure and, following a throw-in near the corner flag, Dixon gave Berwick the lead. Rangers then won a series of corners after which Wakenshaw scored a spectacular goal, with a free kick from just above the halfway line, to complete Musselburgh's downfall as Berwick lifted the East of Scotland Consolation Cup for the second time in their history.

24. In a late bid to boost club funds, Berwick Rangers rounded off the season with an attractive Thursday evening friendly against Third Lanark at Union Park. The visitors fielded eight of their regular team, including Jimmy Brownlie, their Scottish international goalkeeper, and Cockburn, Coldstream's prolific goal scorer, was invited to play a trial at centre-forward. Third Lanark showed off the finer points of the game with some neat passing football and Whittle gave them a lead that their continual pressure deserved. After the interval, they continued to press without further scoring. Dixon, Noble and Erswell all went close for Berwick, but there was only going to be one winner, especially with the form Brownlie was in, and the game ended 1-0 to the Glasgow side.

Berwick Rangers had tried their best to fight the local apathy with their best season for three years, and this success was largely due to the committee's forward thinking and sticking to the same team, as far as possible, throughout the season. Rangers had succeeded in winning the East of Scotland Consolation Cup for the second time, and the fight for the Border Amateur League Championship still hung in the balance. Duns and Coldstream had not completed their remaining fixtures, home and away against each other and, depending on the outcome, Rangers still stood a chance of more silverware. However, due mainly to the lack of support, it was thought by many that an amalgamation between Berwick Rangers and Spittal Rovers would give the borough a stronger and more supported team and as such the club was about to enter a critical stage.