1911/12: Financial Sights


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 26 EQC 1 H Selkirk W 2-1
Sep 2 SQC 1 A Vale of Leithen L 0-5
16 EQC 2 H Leith Amateurs L 0-2
23 F H Fenwick Villa W 2-1
30 F H KOSB Depot W 3-1
Oct 7 BAL H Coldstream D 0-0
14 BAL A Spittal Rovers L 0-2
21 F H Newcastle NER W 7-3
Nov 4 KC 2 A Coldstream L 1-4
11 BAL H Chirnside United W 4-2
25 BAL A Chirnside United W 4-1
Dec 9 BAL H Kelso W 7-0
16 BAL A Duns L 2-3
23 F H Berwick Rangers 2nd XI W 4-0
25 F H Edinburgh Civil Service L 0-3
30 BAL H Duns L 1-2
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 1 F H Broxburn Shamrock W 7-3
6 BC 1 A Spittal Rovers L 0-1
13 SCC 1 H Selkirk W 3-2
20 SCC 2 H Vale of Leithen W 2-0
Feb 10 ECC 1 H Selkirk W 3-1
17 SCC 4 H Arbroath L 1-3
24 BAL A Chirnside United L 1-3
Mar 2 BAL H Spittal Rovers D 2-2
16 BAL A Kelso W 3-1
23 ECC 2 A Coldstream L 0-2
30 BAL A Spittal Rovers W 3-1
Apr 13 BAL A Coldstream L 3-5

Border Amateur League

Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Duns 10 3 1 1 11 5 4 1 0 15 4 16
2 Coldstream 10 4 0 1 20 11 1 3 1 4 7 13
3 Berwick Rangers 10 2 2 1 14 6 2 0 3 12 13 10
4 Spittal Rovers 10 2 1 2 11 10 1 3 1 6 10 10
5 Chirnside United 10 2 2 1 10 10 0 0 5 9 18 6
6 Kelso 10 1 1 3 4 7 1 0 4 3 18 5

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

  A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G
Mathias Allan 1 1
Archie Bartleman 12 1 1 1 2 1 1 3 4
John Buglass 2
Thomas Cowe 2 1
John Dixon 2 2 1
Jack Drysdale 5 1 1 2 3
John Ferguson 3 1
William Ferguson 11 1 2 1 3 5
James Gilchrist 4 1 1 1 1 3 2
Thomas Gray 11 1 2 2 1 1 3 6
William Gregson 4 4 2 1 1 1 1
William 1 Hill 2 1
Joe Hope 1 1
John Hope 1 1 3
Leon Jones 9 1 1 1 2 1 3 3
Henry Laidler 1
Archie Lockhart 9 2 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 5 1
James Middlemiss 1
Charles Noble 10 4 1 2 1 1 1 3 4
John Patterson 6 3 1 2 2 3 1 2 4
William Patterson 6 1 2 1 1
Louis Purdue 1 2 2
Tom Purves 3 1
David Redfearn 5 4 1 2 2 1 1 1 3 1 4 2
John Richardson 1
Peter Richardson 4 3 1 1 1 3 4
Robert Richardson 4 2 1 1
Joseph Roberts 1 1
Tom Roughead 1 1
John Scobie 1
William Scott 4 1 3 2
Henry Smail 1
Robert Tait 1 1
Robert Wakenshaw 12 2 1 1 2 1 3 1 6 3
Andrew Young 2 2 1 2
George Young 1 1
Own goal   1                                          
Number of players used: 36

Cup football had proved to be the most lucrative form of raising much needed revenue for the club, and it was with this line of thought that the club applied, successfully, for admission to the Scottish Amateur Cup competition. The Border Amateur League was again entered, but it was a run in the cups on which the club had set their financial sights.


26. Berwick Rangers were paired with Selkirk in the first round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup at Union Park and were forced to field a noticeably young and inexperienced side due to the suspension of several regular first team players. Dixon, Weatherburn, R Scott, W Scott and Barth were reported by the Rangers' committee to the SFA for turning out in an unauthorised charity cup competition during the close season, despite previous warnings, and were subsequently banned from playing until November 5th. Ferguson, Wakenshaw and Richardson received a lesser ban until September 16th as they were under impression that they could play for charity up to and including May 15th. Rangers worked hard from the outset and took a deserved lead when Tait caught the ball on the turn and fired it home from 18 yards via the woodwork. Selkirk began to look dangerous, and Roughead was applauded as he prevented a certain goal with a timely tackle on Davidson. However, Drysdale, who was playing his last game for the club, due to new employment in Ashington, made an opening for Gregson, who sped between the backs to score with an unstoppable shot. The visitors retaliated, and Young had to be alert on several occasions as Rangers fought hard to hold on to their two-goal advantage. Selkirk reorganised their front line at the interval and Berwick had by no means a safe lead. Young again thwarted the Selkirk attack, but could not prevent Hislop, after some heavy pressure, from scoring what turned out to be only a consolation.


2. It was a different story for the young Rangers in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup at Innerleithen - they were trounced 5-0. After having as much of the game as Vale in the first half, they fell to pieces in the second. It was just three minutes from the interval when Pringle opened the scoring for the homesters, but with the sun and breeze at their backs in the second half, there seemed little reason why the Rangers could not draw level. However, Kerr twice beat Young with unstoppable shots to settle the issue. Eckford followed suit midway through the half and, a few minutes from time, Bartleman conceded a penalty from which Yellowlees scored Vale's fifth.

16. The return of Ferguson, Wakenshaw and Richardson in time for the second round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup against Leith Amateurs raised a tremendous amount of interest amongst the local football fraternity. Leith had proved their strength by beating Duns 5-0 the previous Saturday and Rangers were determined not to follow suit. Fortunately, for the locals, the Amateurs this season did not have a ground of their own and home advantage was reversed. Leith always appeared to be that yard faster throughout the game and their pace was the making of the opening goal. N. McLeod was in full pursuit when he was brought harshly down by Hill in the area. Renwick stepped up to take the kick and sent Young the wrong way. However, from that point until the interval Berwick had their best spell of the game. They continued in the same vein at the start of the second half, but could not last the pace, and the visitors besieged the home goal. Young saved well from Fairweather, but never sighted a long-range free kick from N. McLeod until he picked it out of the net. Two goals down with only a few minutes remaining the damage was done and the committee's cup strategy was in tatters.

23. With the Border Amateur League yet to start, Rangers filled the void with two home friendly fixtures, starting with Fenwick Villa. Midway through the opening half, Hodge scored for the Villa from what looked to be an offside position, the goal was allowed to stand, but Fenwick did not enjoy their lead for long. Rangers equalised through a Gregson penalty, and then took the lead early in the second half when Wakenshaw headed home a Dixon corner. From then on, Rangers controlled the game, but failed to convert any of their numerous chances and the final 2-1 scoreline did not truly reflect the run of play.

30. The main talking point amongst supporters after match against the KOSB was that two of the Rangers' three goals were scored by "youths" making their first appearance in the black and gold. Roberts and Young were called in at the eleventh-hour, and both made creditable debuts. The Soldiers fielded a slick eleven and pressed vigorously from the start, but a strong gale and poor finishing prevented them from taking the lead. Towards the interval Rangers were awarded a doubtful penalty; Redfearn stepped up to take the kick and dealt the Soldiers the sucker punch by converting against the run of play. Early in the second half, Wilkinson broke away and levelled matters from a Fraser cross. However, Roberts put Rangers back in the lead and George Young completed the scoring with a third, much to the delight of the crowd. At the end, Rangers were flattered by the result and knew that they would have to up their game if they were to take anything from their opening Border Amateur League fixture against current champions Coldstream the following week.


7. The match against Coldstream on October 7th at Union Park turned out to be a hard-fought and entertaining game. Play was fastest at the outset but slowed considerably towards the end. Campbell went close for Coldstream in the opening minute when he had nobody else other than the keeper to beat but failed when it counted. At that point, Berwick upped their game and Gregson missed narrowly after some sustained pressure on the Coldstream goal. Rangers had the better of the game throughout, but the visitors left nothing to chance, and it came as no surprise at the final whistle when the game ended all square and goalless.

14. In a controversial encounter at the Side Cutting against Spittal Rovers, Berwick opened strongly and had the Spittallers on the ropes until the 10th minute when Fenby sent in a stinging shot that struck the underside of the bar and bounced down. To the astonishment of the Rangers' players, the referee, from near midfield, awarded a goal; how he could have come to such a decision from where he was standing passed comprehension. Berwick fell further behind in the opening minute of the second half when Ferguson, who had plenty of time to clear, decided to fist out a soft Fenby shot, but with Alex Hope thundering towards him he appeared to lose his nerve, leaving Hope with the simplest of tasks. Rangers looked as if they were back in the game when they were awarded a penalty against Hill. However, Glenton cleared Wakenshaw's kick. More controversy followed when the referee blew the final whistle fully fifteen minutes short. Certainly, the Rangers did not look like scoring, but many things can happen in a quarter-hour. As the players trooped off, the Rangers' linesman pointed out the error. The referee was forced to admit to his mistake, and it was left in the hands of the League Committee as to whether the match should be declared null and void.

21. The few who turned out to watch the friendly encounter with North Eastern, at a wet and dreary Union Park, were treated to a goal feast. Rangers began well with the whole team combining efficiently, but the Railwaymen took the lead against the run of play. Rutherford sent in a long shot, which the advancing Ferguson could only divert. With the 'keeper out of his goal, Batey sent in a shot, but Jones handled on the line, and Fitzgerald scored from the resultant penalty. Rangers showed they meant business after that. Jones had a timely shot well saved before Richardson ran through and equalised. Soon after, Redfearn dispossessed Fitzgerald and passed for Richardson to add a second. Lockhart, a product of the Tweedmouth National Old Boys who was now established in the Rangers team, was brought down in the box, and Redfearn put Rangers further ahead from the spot. Redfearn became provider soon after when he centred for Richardson to complete his hat trick with a deflected shot off a defender. After the interval, Gilchrist added a fifth and a few minutes later Richardson was again on target. Gilchrist scored number seven direct from a corner when the keeper let the ball slip through his fingers. With defeat now out of the question, Berwick eased up, and the Tynesiders scored two late goals through Sharp and Tinn to lessen the scoreline.


4. Peebles Rovers scratched to Berwick Rangers in the first round of the King Cup, owing to being in arrears with their Scottish Union League fixtures, and Rangers faced Coldstream at Home Park in the second. Berwick, who arrived 30 minutes late, were not fully focused at the start and Campbell opened the scoring direct from the kick-off. With a strong wind behind them, Coldstream hemmed Rangers inside their own half and only a splendid performance by Ferguson kept the score at 1-0 at the interval. Coldstream then realised the perilous position they faced with only a goal advantage and the wind against them after the break and reorganised in readiness. However, the wind suddenly died, and the changes enhanced the home attack. From a breakaway, Melrose took possession in the area and scored a clever goal despite being surrounded by a crowd of players. Melrose was again a thorn in Berwick's side when he placed nicely for Robertson to score a third. Coldstream then let play slacken at which point Richardson took advantage and pulled a goal back for the Rangers. However, Cockburn soon replied with Coldstream's fourth and, with darkness falling fast, the final whistle blew on yet another cup defeat for the Rangers.

11. Fine weather favoured a Border Amateur League match at Union Park against Chirnside United. Rangers pressed throughout the opening half but presented Chirnside with two simple goals, both because of a misunderstanding in the defence. The unmarked Denholm scored from a Johnston cross, and a lack of communication between Ferguson and Dixon led to Cooper scoring their second. However, by the interval Rangers were level when Noble worked the ball upfield and crossed for Richardson to score. Rangers then laid siege on the Chirnside goal, forcing six corners in the process. The last resulted in a penalty from which Redfearn converted. After the interval, Rangers continued to press. From a throw-in on the right, Wakenshaw dropped a neat ball into the area for Redfearn to give Berwick the lead. No sooner had the ball been kicked off than Redfearn raced upfield to add a fourth, making the points safe.

25. A much-changed Rangers side showed improved form in the return league encounter with Chirnside a fortnight later. However, the home side started so well that when White opened the scoring their supporters had visions of victory. Berwick gradually fought their way into the match, and from a centre by Scott, Lockhart levelled the score. Not long after, Peter Richardson beat Oliver from close range, following a Noble cross, and Wakenshaw added a third from a corner to give Rangers a comfortable half-time lead. Noble grazed the crossbar early in the second half, but it took until the mid-point of the half before a further goal was scored when Peter Richardson charged both keeper and ball behind the line. With ten minutes remaining, and darkness falling fast, the referee, on the advice of the Chirnside captain and the spectators, stopped the game with there being no way back for the home side.


9. The return of Jack Drysdale to the Rangers' team, despite his employment in the south of the county, demonstrated the fact that one player can make all the difference. Due mainly to Drysdale's appearance in the league encounter at Kelso, the home side threatened the Berwick goal once throughout the entire game, when Ferguson was forced to make a daring save from Erskine. Noble opened the scoring with his first goal for the Rangers when a one-two between Scott and Gilchrist gave him the opportunity. In attempting to clear with an overhead kick, Ferguson, the visiting right-back, scored an own goal with a shot that hit the roof of the net, and right on the interval Dixon made it three after converting Scott's cross. After the break, Rangers were soon amongst the goals again. Rutherford, who had taken the gloves from Atack as Kelso attempted to stem the flow of goals, failed to prevent a Scott shot from hitting the back of the net. Lockhart was next to try his luck with a shot that struck the far post; Noble kept it in play with a clever back-heel from which Dixon scored number five. Bartleman ran in to score a sixth, with a deflected shot following a corner, and a seventh was credited to Lockhart when he diverted a Dixon shot into the net.

16. With four consecutive wins under their belts, Rangers travelled to Duns in search of more league points. Peter Richardson had been granted a transfer by the Rangers' committee to the Berwickshire team during the previous week and now lined up against his former team-mates. The game opened in good humour and showed no signs of the bad feeling that was to follow. Duns were first to score, Richardson being responsible, and Cowe registered a second. Rangers replied through Gregson and at half-time were only a goal down. On resuming, McLaren added a third for the home team before Gregson scored another. At that point, some ill feeling began to creep into the game following some decisions by the referee that did not find favour with the Duns section of spectators. Uncomplimentary remarks were made towards the referee and the Berwick players. As a result of a remark addressed to Wakenshaw, he left the field and knocked a spectator over the ropes. The game, however, ended 3-2 to Duns without any serious trouble on the field.

23. A match against a Berwick Rangers Reserve XI started the round of festive friendlies. In an uneventful first half, play was evenly divided and only a goal, scored by Robert Richardson for the "firsts," separated the two sides at the interval. The second half was livelier with Hope skimming the bar for the Reserves before Scott scored a second goal for the first eleven. Lockhart increased the lead after combining well with Gilchrist and, from that point, the game became a bit one-sided. Lockhart became provider when his pass was met by Scott, who unleashed an unstoppable shot past Young, and the game ended in a 4-0 victory for the senior side.

25. On hearing of Edinburgh Civil Service's recent demolition of Coldstream, local supporters were very doubtful whether Rangers had the ability to beat them when the teams met at Union Park on Christmas Day. The visitors showed their superiority throughout the game and, although Rangers did on occasions get within range of Burnham in goal, they could not break down the solid defence. The Civil Service opened the scoring through Cairns in the first few minutes and only the skill of Ferguson, who made some smart saves, kept the visitors from increasing their lead. However, Hattle managed to beat the home keeper with a low shot right on the interval. The second half was much the same, with Rangers playing second fiddle to the slick Edinburgh side, and midway through the half, Black put the issue beyond doubt with shot that Ferguson let through his legs. Content with their three-goal lead, the visitors played a midfield game knowing that the Rangers were unlikely to score. Interest, from a spectator's standpoint, died out rapidly, and the final whistle came as a welcomed relief.

30. Duns left Union Park with full points after their league visit. They were undoubtedly the better team throughout and fully deserved their 2-1 victory. Rangers, on the other hand, seemed to have little control over the ball. The visitors soon made their presence felt and after going close on several occasions, Smith opened the scoring. Turner dropped in a high ball from the left, forcing Ferguson to leave his line, and Smith took advantage of the space provided to score with an overhead kick. The rest at the interval seemed to have done the Berwick players some good, for they startled the Duns defence on the restart and Scott centred nicely for John Patterson to equalise. However, parity did not last long, as in Duns' first attack Ferguson allowed a simple goal to be scored when he fumbled a header from Watson, and it bounced over his head into the net. Disappointed, Berwick tried hard to redress the balance, but poor finishing by the forward department led ultimately to their downfall.


1. Broxburn Shamrock proved rather a disappointing lot when they travelled for a New Year's Day friendly with only eight men and had to enlist the services of local players to complete their team. With the wind behind them, Shamrock started well with both Mercer and McLaren find the net. John Patterson pulled a goal back for Berwick and was unlucky no to equalise before the interval. Rangers began to take control after the change of ends. Redfearn skimmed the bar with a rasping shot in the opening minute before Patterson levelled matters sixty seconds later. Broxburn regained the lead straight from the kick-off, when Curran finished off a smart move, but from that point on there was only one team in it. Wakenshaw scored from a retaken penalty. Drysdale went close before Wakenshaw scored for a second time when he rushed through Noble's rebounded effort. Then, twice within a minute, Patterson scored, bringing his personal tally to four, and John Hope added another in the closing minutes to make the final score 7-3 in Berwick's favour.

6. A fast and even first round Border Cup clash between the Rangers and Spittal Rovers ended in a narrow victory for the home side. Steady play by the Berwick backs kept them in the game when Spittal held the wind advantage. Both goals had close escapes after the interval and a replay looked to be on the cards until Willie Hope scored the only goal of the match for Spittal with only a few minutes remaining.

13. For a cup-tie, the Scottish Consolation Cup first round encounter with Selkirk at Union Park was rather quiet. However, Berwick deserved their progression to the next round on play alone. Ferguson was practically a spectator in the first half whereas his opposite number, Mills, had a busy afternoon. Redfearn, Purdue and Noble all tested the visiting keeper before Lockhart finally broke the deadlock with a stunning shot from near the touchline. Shortly before the interval, Purdue beat Mills after the keeper had only part cleared a Redfearn shot. Selkirk made more of a game of it in the second half with Nicholson heading a dangerous attack down the left from which Douglas poked the ball home before Ferguson could clear the danger. However, following a good shot by Jones, Purdue restored Berwick's two-goal advantage. Hill then made it 3-2 with a few minutes remaining, but it was a case of too little too late.

20. Berwick Rangers should have crossed the Firth of Forth to play the Carnegie Institute in the first round of the Scottish Amateur Cup on January 20th but, because the Institute did not have a ground of their own, combined with the lack of a reasonable guarantee, Berwick decided to scratch the tie rather than incur a substantial loss. Instead, Rangers met with a stubborn Vale of Leithen team in a second round Scottish Consolation Cup tie at Union Park. Vale harassed the Rangers throughout, in a game played in typical cup-tie fashion. During the first ten minutes, the home goal was under constant attack. However, the Berwick defence stood firm and were rewarded for their resilience midway through the half when Wakenshaw gave them the lead with a long-range shot. Even at the interval, it seemed that Vale would have little difficulty in overcoming the Rangers. However, Redfearn's early goal in the second half made Berwick's position a little bit more secure and, despite spending much of the remaining time in defence, they held on for a 2-0 win and with it a bye into the fourth round of the competition.


10. Berwick Rangers played hosts to Selkirk in a cup-tie for the third time this season on February 10th, this time in the opening round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. The visitors arrived with only ten men and Rangers, being sportsmanlike, allowed Tait to fill the vacancy. Selkirk opened brightest, but midway through the half, and against the run of play, Redfearn wriggled his way through the visiting defence to open the score. Selkirk retaliated strongly and levelled matters a few minutes before the interval when Marshall beat Young with a well-judged effort. After the break, Rangers held the upper hand for the first twenty minutes during which time John Patterson scored twice. Although Patterson had the honour of putting Rangers back in the lead, it was to Wakenshaw that the credit was due. After carrying the ball almost to the goalmouth, a defender held him off and Patterson, running in, had the easiest of chances from only two yards. Later the two combined again, when Patterson made it 3-1 from Wakenshaw's forward pass, and any hopes that Selkirk had of it being third time lucky against the Rangers were now well and truly dashed.

17. Finances again came to the fore when the Rangers' committee decided against accepting Arbroath's offer of a good guarantee to switch home advantage in the fourth round of the Scottish Consolation Cup. Central League team Arbroath had beaten neighbours Montrose in the first round and Lochgelly United in the second, before receiving a bye in the third, as did Berwick. With Arbroath's reputation, a large turnout was "hopefully" expected with such a large guarantee to meet, twelve pounds being required before a penny was made off the gate. However, despite the public turning out in good numbers, enough did not appear to prevent a £2 10 shillings loss on the afternoon's performance. Considering that £6 could have been gained by travelling, it turned out that the committee were not justified in refusing Arbroath's terms. Although defeated 3-1, Berwick started in a promising manner with the visiting keeper getting a taste of Redfearn's shooting ability. However, a somewhat easy goal conceded by the Rangers seemed to subdue their performance. Whyte broke away and drew the defence before shooting. Ferguson fisted out weakly, and the ball fell at the feet of the unattended Shaw who found the net with ease. Arbroath began to monopolise play, but Rangers rallied and, despite facing wind, hill and sun, they succeeded in reaching half-time only a goal behind. Matters looked rosy when John Patterson put Rangers on level terms before the second half was more than two minutes old. Redfearn caught the keeper napping with a swift shot. Mann saved but failed to clear the danger and, after several attempts by the home forwards to net, Patterson succeeded. This result lifted the spirits of the home crowd, but it was not to last long. Arbroath regained the lead with a well-worked and simple goal when Black raced upfield, following a fruitless Berwick corner and, from his cross, Whyte scored. Rangers made strenuous efforts to equalise but, with only eight minutes remaining, Arbroath shattered Berwick's hopes completely when Whyte beat the backs before centring for Shaw to put the result beyond doubt.

24. In a return to league business, Rangers travelled to play Chirnside United in a rematch, due to the previous encounter being stopped well short of the ninety-minute mark, with a weakened side, and paid the consequences with a 3-1 defeat. Redfearn, Drysdale, Noble and Jones were all missing from the side that lost to Arbroath and Chirnside took full advantage of this weakness and that of the referee, who gave the players of both sides far too much rope. Berwick took the lead when a breakaway by the forwards resulted in William Patterson crossing for Allan to score from close range. Rangers then lost Gray to injury early in the second half as the game turn physical and, from that point, their downfall started. Black confused Ferguson, leaving W. White to level matters from a difficult angle. A few minutes later, Wakenshaw gave away a penalty for handball which White took and converted. White then scored his and Chrinside's third with a long dipping shot that deceived Ferguson at which point Rangers lost interest and tempers flared as the game laboured to an end.


2. The league meeting between local rivals Berwick Rangers and Spittal Rovers attracted a large crowd to a blustery Union Park on March 2nd - March Hiring Day. The game started in a sensational manner. Rangers, who were missing several prominent players and playing with only nine men against Spittal's ten, made straight for the Rovers' goal where John Patterson crossed accurately for his brother to score within two minutes of the start. Rangers continued to press, but a mistake by Purves, who miskicked when trying to clear Alex Hope's cross, gave Fenby an opening of which he made full use to level the score. Later, a pinpoint Bartleman pass let John Patterson away and, after beating Matthews, he centred for Noble to give Rangers a 2-1 interval lead. In the opening stages of the second half, the wind, which had been increasing in force throughout the opening half, now blew with the velocity of a gale and Spittal, with its aid, pressed strongly, keeping Berwick on the defensive. The number of playing staff was reduced further when, after a violent clash of heads, Wakenshaw and Hill were forced to retire for "repairs" and both teams played on another man short. A few minutes later, William Hope made it two goals each before heavy rain began to fall. The ball became heavy and the ground slippery. Play deteriorated consequently, and the final whistle came as a relief to the players and spectators alike.

16. Back to near full strength, Rangers travelled to Bennett's Park, Kelso, in search their first league win in four outings and did not disappoint. A nice piece of combination work led to the opening goal when John Patterson reached the corner flag before centring for Noble to score. After some midfield exchanges, Patterson scored a second with a good shot. Kelso pulled a goal back when Ferguson ran out to clear. Bartleman took upon himself the role of the goalkeeper in Ferguson's absence and conceded a penalty in the process, which Pringle converted. Berwick controlled the game in the second half and, with fifteen minutes remaining, Wakenshaw made it 3-1 with a controversial goal. After three attempts to score from within a goalmouth melee, Atack, the Kelso 'keeper, was floored whilst trying to clear before the ball finally hit the back of the net. At this point, the game was stopped for a minute or two to allow Atack time to recover and, although Kelso protested, the referee awarded Berwick the goal.

23. In the last of the cup competitions, Rangers played Coldstream at Home Park in the second round of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup. Coldstream were minus three of their best players and, with Berwick at full strength, there seemed little chance of the home side's success. However, a determined performance saw Coldstream qualify for the semi-final stages with a deserved 2-0 victory. Rangers attacked strongly from the start with Richardson missing narrowly in the first minute. Coldstream responded through Melrose and Renton, but Berwick maintained the pressure. Noble scored from a William Patterson cross, but the referee wrongly disallowed the goal for offside. However, the referee got it right when Richardson beat the keeper but used his hand to control the ball a few minutes later. Coldstream battled hard and towards the interval came more and more into the game. The teams turned around with the score still goalless, but Coldstream opened the second half in all-out attack, and it was not long before the Berwick goal met its downfall. Jones should have cleared a cross by Shiel, but instead played the ball to Cockburn, who opened Coldstream's account with a fine goal. Rangers responded with John Patterson hitting a curler that would have made the perfect equaliser, had not his brother nullified the goal by helping the ball along with his hand. Redfearn then sent over from only a yard out as Rangers' unlucky streak in front of goal continued. However, Coldstream were having by far the best of matters during the second period and played with renewed energy towards the end. With only a few minutes remaining, Shiel beat Bartleman before making straight for goal where his swift shot was cleared by Ferguson, but only as far as Renton, who scored with a low shot to complete Berwick's cup misery for another season.

30. Berwick Rangers were anxious to take advantage of their successful protest, following their league match with Spittal Rovers on October 14th being stopped short fully fifteen minutes by the referee, and fielded their strongest eleven when the two teams met at the Side Cutting. The inclusion of Gregson, on his return after playing with some success for Durham University, bolstered the Rangers' forward line while Spittal were minus three of their players who had been chosen for duty. Rovers had the advantage of the wind in the first half, but their shooting was woeful. Fenby was the only exception when he latched onto Rae's fine centre to slip the ball past Ferguson on the half-hour mark. Berwick took wind advantage at their very first opportunity after the interval when William Patterson's cross was converted by his brother to level the score. However, Spittal were playing much better against the wind and Boston worked his way through before crossing nicely to leave Rae with a clear goal, but he hesitated, and Jones cleared. Berwick pressed continually thereafter, and Jones scored with a powerfully hit shot. Spittal tried their best to get back on level terms and Boston beat Ferguson, but Bartleman got back to clear at the last moment. Redfearn then put matters beyond Spittal's reach when he added to Berwick's total late on to claim both points that would have been, had it not been for the oversight on the referee's behalf, now in Spittal's possession.


13. Berwick Rangers rounded off their season with their last match of the league campaign at Coldstream. Coldstream were still in the hunt, along with Duns, for the championship, whereas Rangers were destined to finish in third place regardless of the result. Play was even in the first half, but Coldstream were the better side in the second. With only ten minutes remaining, the home side were a goal down but then hit a lucky patch, hitting three late goals to win 5-3. Coldstream could not settle in the first half and gave Berwick too much space. Rangers scored an early goal when, after long passing move by the brothers Patterson, John Patterson unleash a tremendous shot; Noble, running forward, gave the keeper little space to clear, resulting in Smith kicking the ball against the Berwick player and it rebounded into the net. Gregson almost added a second from the kick-off, but his shot hit the crossbar. Coldstream rallied as half-time approached, with the right wing a constant source of danger, and Fairley levelled the score when he hit home a Melrose cross. The score did not remain level for long as, a minute after the interval, Shiel beat Ferguson with a well-struck shot to put Coldstream ahead. Rangers were under considerable pressure, but Gregson worked his way through the Coldstream defence to make it 2-2 with a fine individual goal. Berwick kept control and Gregson met a William Patterson cross on the volley to give Rangers the lead with ten minutes remaining. Coldstream upped their game and, after Ferguson had saved well from Melrose, he was cruelly beaten by Renton. Shortly afterwards, as the result of a run by Shiel, Melrose gave Coldstream the lead. Shiel was again playmaker when the home side forced a corner from which Cockburn put the matter beyond doubt with an easy goal in the final minute.

Rangers finished the season with no trophies to show for their effort. The committee, however, had anticipated this when the season started due to eight players being suspended by the SFA for playing in unauthorised competitions. The committee tried out several promising youngsters in their place, who showed promise despite elimination from the cup competitions, and with that in mind, along with the books showing a cash balance of £1 17s 4d, the club hoped for some success, at least, in the coming season.