1910/11: Exodus


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 20 F H Broxburn Athletic L 2-5
27 EQC 1 A Peebles Rovers L 2-4
Sep 3 SQC 1 A Gala Fairydean W 3-2
10 BAL H Chirnside United W 4-0
17 SQC 2 H Coldstream D 0-0
24 SQC 2R A Coldstream L 0-1
Oct 8 KC 1 A Coldstream D 2-2
15 KC 1R H Coldstream D 2-2
22 KC 1R2 N Coldstream L 1-2
29 BAL H Spittal Rovers W 5-1
Nov 5 BAL H Duns L 1-3
12 BAL A Kelso D 3-3
19 BAL H Kelso W 3-0
26 BAL A Duns L 1-3
Dec 3 BAL A Chirnside United L 1-5
10 BAL A Spittal Rovers W 3-1
17 BAL H Coldstream L 1-2
26 F H KOSB Depot W 6-0
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 2 F H Leith Amateurs W 3-0
7 F H KOSB Depot W 6-0
14 SCC 1 H Gala Fairydean W 4-0
21 BC 2 H Kelso W 5-0
28 F H Tweedmouth National Old Boys W 2-1
Feb 4 SCC 2 A Broxburn Shamrock W 1-0
11 SCC 3 A Peebles Rovers L 1-4
Mar 11 BC SF A Duns W 2-1
18 F H Spittal Rovers W 1-0
25 BC SFR A Duns W 2-1
Apr 1 F H Cambois United L 2-3
8 BC F N Selkirk D 2-2
14 F H Newcastle NER W 3-2
15 BC FR N Selkirk W 4-0
17 F H Berwick Thursday League XI W 3-1
27 BAL A Coldstream L 0-3

Border Amateur League

Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Coldstream 9 4 0 0 16 1 5 0 0 15 4 18
2 Duns 8 3 0 1 10 3 2 2 0 10 7 12
3 Berwick Rangers 10 3 0 2 14 5 1 1 3 8 15 9
4 Chirnside United 9 1 2 1 10 10 0 1 4 5 18 5
5 Spittal Rovers 9 0 2 2 9 14 1 1 3 5 16 5
6 Kelso 7 1 1 3 8 11 0 0 2 1 7 3
Fixtures not completed.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

  A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G
John Anderson 1 1
Charles Barth 1 1
David Black 3 1
James Black 1
James Brotherton 1 1 1 3 1
Thomas Burn 1
William Collin 4 3 3
Thomas Cowe 1
John Dixon 7 3 5 3 5 1
Robert Dodds 1 1
Jack Drysdale 6 3 5 1 3 2 3 1 4 3
Peter Dudgeon 1 1
George Dunn 5 1
Charlie Erswell 2 5 2 1 3 3 1 4 3
William Ferguson 4 5 3 5
George Glenton 1
George Graham 1 1 2 1
Thomas Gray 1 1 2
William Gregson 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
William Hall 1 1
William 1 Hill  9 5 3 1 3 6
William 2 Hill 3
Tom Hope 1
John Houliston 1
Arthur Little 1
Charles McDonald 1 1
Alexander Middlemiss 3 1 1
James Middlemiss 3 1 1
James Purves 2
David Redfearn 6 1 5 5 1 3 1 3 2 3 4 7 7
Peter Richardson 6 8 5 4 1 3 3 3 6 4
Joseph Roberts 1
Hugh Robertson 1 2 1
Robert Robertson 5 1 3 2
Tom Roughead 1 1 2
John Scobie 2 1 2 1 1
James Scott 1
Robert Scott 1 2 1
William Scott 1 4 2 1 3
John Spence 2
Thomas Matthews 1
Robert Tait 1 2
William Trainer 1 1
Trialist 1
Robert Wakenshaw 8 5 1 3 3 3 1 7 4
Andrew Watson 6 3 2 1
Alex Weatherburn 8 5 5 2 2 3 3 5 1
Peter Young                         1              
Number of players used: 48

Hover image to enlarge

Hover image to enlarge

At the club's AGM, it was agreed not to enter the Border League for the new season, due to financial reasons, and instead field a stronger first team in the Border Amateur League, prompting an exodus of players. Burgon and Poulton signed for Gala Fairydean; Alex Hope and Haswell signed for Peebles Rovers while brothers Willie and John Hope joined Spittal Rovers. Many of the remaining players had played in football competitions on the Stanks during the summer months and they should have been suspended from all Border Football Association competitions; however, the BFA overlooked this quandary.


20. Berwick Rangers opened their playing season with a home friendly against Broxburn Athletic. The visitors were quick off the mark against a rusty Rangers side, and it came as no surprise when Robertson opened the scoring. A few minutes later, Grosert added a second with a fine shot and Rangers faced an uphill struggle. Berwick pressed hard after the interval, but their shooting was deplorable. Noon added a third for Broxburn before Richardson reduced the leeway when he prodded home after the keeper fumbled an Erswell cross. However, Noon soon restored Broxburn's three-goal advantage when he banged home a close-range effort. Against the run of play, Lyall crudely ended a Gregson solo run in the penalty box and the Berwicker dusted himself off before scoring from the spot. Tweedie capped a fine Broxburn performance with late fifth.

27. Berwick Rangers paid the penalty for fielding a weakened team at Peebles Rovers with an early exit in the first round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup after a 4-2 defeat. Several of their best players had left for pastures new. Ex-Berwickers Alex Hope and James Haswell were both included in the visitor's team, and some of the Rangers' new recruits found it hard going against such a strong Peebles side. Berwick were 3-0 down at half-time although they made a better fight of it than the scoreline suggested. McLean opened the scoring. Anderson missed a glorious chance for Berwick before Kelling added to the home total and McLean scored a third with a fine drive just before the change of ends. After the break, Berwick looked sharper. McPherson rushed out just in time to save at the feet of Gregson. Brotherton then made a couple of fine saves before McLean beat him with a hard drive. At this point, Rangers rearranged their team and pressed the home defence. Fine play by Drysdale and Redfearn let Gregson in to score, and a few minutes later Roughead followed up with a second to make the score a bit more respectable.


3. Gala Fairydean, who were making their debut in the competition, played hosts to Berwick Rangers in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. Gala, with ex-Berwick goalkeeper Poulton in goal, played the prettier football throughout, whereas Berwick played kick and rush, but their strategy paid off. Gala pressed continually during in the opening half, but Berwick made the most of their opportunities and were the first to score when Gregson netted from the penalty spot. Shortly before the interval, Walker levelled the score from close range after being left unmarked at the back post and, early in the second half, he put the Fairies into the lead. Berwick drew level through a Redfearn shot that went in off the post before they sneaked a third when the Gala defence was slow to clear and Redfearn headed home.

10. Berwick Rangers kicked off their Border Amateur League campaign against Chirnside at the Union Park. Mr. Smith, the official referee, had missed his train from Alnwick, and it the teams agreed that the game should stand as a friendly if he failed to turn up. With the consent of both sides, the match kicked off with Mr. P Young of Berwick officiating the first half-hour until Mr. Smith appeared. After a goalless first half Berwick had all the play for the opening quarter of the second half but failed to pierce the Chirnside defence. Eventually, Weatherburn opened the scoring after a joint attack with Richardson. Rangers extended their lead when Richardson scored from the penalty spot after being brought down in the area by Bradford and it was now Berwick's game. Chirnside were kept in defence with Straiton's services being called upon on several occasions. The keeper was somewhat lucky to save a hot shot from Gregson, but in the next attack, Richardson easily beat him. A few minutes later Straiton received a shot from Gregson that he had difficulty in holding and, before he could clear, Richardson had both keeper and the ball over the line.

17. The start of a long "drawn" out battle with Coldstream commenced when Berwick Rangers failed to make the most of home advantage in the second round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup and were held to a goalless draw. Berwick had the better of exchanges throughout, despite being reduced to ten men in the 15th minute when Roughead was sent off, but the Coldstream defence held firm and left on level terms.

24. The result of the replay came as a complete surprise to the many Berwick supporters who attended, as Coldstream made Rangers pay for their failure to secure victory at the first attempt. Berwick were the only team in it during the opening quarter, but then fell away badly in a scrappy affair. In the second half, Coldstream took the lead against the run of play when a free kick, awarded against Wakenshaw, was tapped home by Melrose. Rangers wasted several good chances in trying to level, due mainly to poor finishing, and Melrose's goal proved to be a winner.


8. Coldstream and Berwick Rangers were paired together in the draw for the first round of the King Cup. This time Coldstream had home advantage and were determined to put Rangers to the sword at the first attempt. Pressing from the start, Melrose was unlucky to be ruled offside when Fairley banged the ball into the net and seconds later Coldstream paid the consequence. From the kick out, the ball was taken to the other end where Richardson sent over a perfect cross for Scobie to put the ball out of the keeper's reach and into the net. Play swung from end to end with no result until the 38th minute, when Weatherburn scored Rangers' second after a fine move down the right. Coldstream, realising their predicament, played with more determination and were awarded a penalty from which Fairley scored. The second half was a scrappy and bad-tempered affair. Redfearn had the ball in the net for Berwick, but the goal was disallowed when Weatherburn was harshly ruled offside. Coldstream took up the running and had the Berwickers well in hand. Turnbull, Miller and Curle each had shots well saved by Brotherton before Curle finally beat him with a hooked shot into net and another replay was required.

15. Berwick Rangers and Coldstream opposed each other for the fourth time a week later. Brotherton had set sail for a new life in Canada and he was replaced between the sticks by the veteran Tom Hope. The game was played in typical cup-tie fashion, and it was evident throughout the ninety that there was little difference between the teams. Hope had made several fine saves early on but was not sufficiently agile to get down to a low, swift shot from Renton and simple goal was conceded. Rangers levelled shortly before the interval when Richardson, who looked certain to score, was brought down in the penalty box and Redfearn netted from the spot. In the second half Rangers pressed continually from the start. However, the pressure was released when a huge kick from Campbell found the unmarked Dalgleish and, from his cross, Melrose promptly scored. Berwick did not abandon hope, and a mistake by Smith gave them a lifeline. Instead of catching a long dropping shot from Watson, he allowed the ball to strike the ground; it then bounced against the crossbar before rebounding to Weatherburn, who had the simple task of heading into the net. Weatherburn later had a chance to score the winning goal, but he miskicked, with only Smith to beat, and the game end at two goals apiece.

22. Hawthorn Park, Duns, was the neutral venue for the second replay. Three changes were made to the team with Dudgeon replacing Hope in goal, Middlemiss in for Weatherburn, and Dunn, from Belford, replacing Scobie. Berwick had the better of exchanges throughout the game, but they were dealt a fatal blow right at the end. Rangers took the lead when, following a Redfearn free kick on the centreline, Middlemiss sent in a 25-yarder just under the crossbar, leaving the keeper helpless. With a goal lead and Coldstream making little headway, the Berwick supporters had some reason to be confident of the result as the second half began. However, towards the end there was a startling change in fortunes. As Coldstream pushed forward, Wakenshaw failed to stop Fairley's advance and, from 15 yards out, he found the net for the equaliser. Then, five minutes from time, Dudgeon prevented Renton's centre from entering the net but, in the process, he diverted it to the feet of Dalgleish, who ended a Rangers cup run for a second time.

29. In a battle for Border Amateur League points against Spittal Rovers at Union Park, the visitors included ex-Rangers players Alex Hope and Steve Bruce in their ranks. Their supporters fully expected them to make Rangers go the full distance, but events proved otherwise. The game opened sensationally with Spittal taking an early lead. Noble worked his way down the left; Redfearn failed to clear his cross, with the result that Fenby was given a clear shot at goal. Spence saved his effort, but failed to hold it, and Fenby netted the loose ball. However, from that point on Rangers took complete control. A series of unproductive corners led to the home support having to wait for the impending equaliser, which came when Richardson headed home Dixon's flag kick. Midway through the second half Middlemiss pounced onto a loose ball to give Rangers the lead. Drysdale scored a third before Thompson, the Spittal keeper, won the applause of the crowd with a string of splendid saves in quick succession from Hill, Watson, Richardson and Weatherburn, as Rangers ran riot. In a subsequent attack, Weatherburn succeeded in beating Thompson with a long, swift shot, and a few minutes before the end he broke through to score again.


5. Visitors Duns, who included three ex-Berwick players in their ranks – Burgon, Scott and Barth, ended Rangers' winning start to league campaign with a 3-1 win. The game was slow and ragged, due mainly to the poor ground conditions, and flowing football was not the order of the day, but Duns mastered the conditions best. The home side opened the scoring first, however, when Drysdale scored with a superb long-range shot. Duns retaliated strongly, and the inevitable equaliser came because of a misunderstanding amongst the Berwick defence. Dudgeon ran out to clear but kicked the ball against Drysdale and the ball rebounded into the net. In the second half, Barth was not long in putting Duns ahead after hesitation between Dudgeon and Wakenshaw left him with an open goal. Rangers then had a spell of pressure, but lacked pace, and were caught cold with ten minutes remaining when Barth got behind the defence and wrecked Berwick's chances with a fine goal.

12. Kelso had the referee to thank after gaining their first league point at the expense of Berwick. Kelso had most of the early pressure and opened the scoring when King poked the ball home at the foot of the post following a 15th-minute corner. Richardson levelled the score under similar circumstances before King regained the lead for Kelso with a "gifted" goal. From far out, he sent in a shot that travelled at a snail's pace; Spence had plenty of time to save but fumbled with the ball before dropping it, by which time King was upon him and tapped it home. Close on half-time, Rangers levelled when Weatherburn converted a well-placed Dixon corner. Early in the second half, Berwick were awarded a penalty, after Weatherburn had been fouled in the area, from which Richardson gave Rangers the lead. Then two dubious decisions by the referee, Mr. Barnes of Kelso, changed the whole course of the game. From a Dixon cross, Weatherburn ran up the field and scored. To the astonishment of all, the referee blew for offside. A few minutes later, and for whatever reason, Kelso were awarded a penalty; Turner scored, and the mystified Rangers had to be content with a share of the points.

19. In the league return, Kelso were lucky to escape with only a 3-0 defeat. Berwick pressed relentlessly from the start and missed several gilt-edged chances. However, it was not until a somewhat doubtful penalty was awarded against Stewart that Berwick eventually scored. Atack saved Richardson's spot-kick at the expense of a corner; Dunn placed the flag-kick well, and Richardson atoned for his earlier miss by heading home. A second soon followed when Dixon worked his way upfield before crossing from a difficult angle for Richardson to convert. Shortly before the interval, another penalty came Berwick's way when Stewart handled a Drysdale cross. Drysdale took the kick this time, and the teams crossed over with Berwick three goals up and well in command. The second half never lived up to the first with the play slow and disjointed. Rangers did virtually all the pressing but were evidently content with their haul and played time out.

26. Duns repeated their earlier league performance by defeating Berwick 3-1 at Hawthorn Park. The game opened quietly on the heavy pitch, but Berwick applied some pressure and Redfearn opened the scoring from close range following a cross from the left. The goal appeared to spur the home side on and after a few narrow escapes, Feeney equalised. In the second half Duns held the balance of play. Straight from the kick-off, Rangers conceded a free kick. Colvin played the ball to Tindal; Tindal passed to Feeney, and Duns had an early lead. Later, a fine cross by Barth reached Tindal, who converted from a difficult angle, and from that point on there was no way back for the Rangers.


3. Chirnside United had been completely outclassed by the Rangers at Union Park, but they were a different team on their own patch. Several Rangers players were unable to make the journey due to the General Election being held and, as a result, only eight players lined up at the start, with one of the committee members, who had travelled with the team, making it nine. As was expected, Rangers were well outnumbered, and Chirnside took full league points for the first time in the competition with a 5-1 victory.

10. A full Rangers side got back to their winning ways when near neighbours Spittal Rovers played their return "home" league match at Union Park. The game itself, however, was far from neighbourly and spoiled by an unwarranted display of feelings on both sides prevailing from the start. Rangers took the lead when Dixon capitalised on slack defending to run in and shoot before they were deprived of the services of Hill, after a collision with Willie Hope. However, they managed to hold their own until a minute from the interval when Fenby levelled the score with a long-range shot. Unchecked by the referee the trips, fouls and other illegalities were plainly in evidence in the second half. Erswell had a clear run on goal abruptly ended, but the loud Berwick appeals for a penalty were ignored. Rovers began to press forward, but they were caught out when Middlemiss sent in a perfect cross from which Weatherburn regained Berwick the lead. Dixon increased the difference when he hit home an Erswell cross with relative ease after which the rough play reached its climax. Spittal's John Hope received his marching orders for dangerous tactics against Weatherburn. At first, he disputed the referee's right to order him off, but ultimately, he thought better of it and let the game progress. In the closing stages the hard knocks were freely administered, and freely reciprocated, but the call of time intervened with Rangers winning the bout 3-1.

17. Defeat by unbeaten Coldstream on December 17th ended any hopes Rangers had of winning the league championship, leaving Duns the only threat to the visitor's own aspirations of title glory. A sodden pitch and a somewhat troublesome crosswind did not help matters both on and off the pitch, yet play was fast for the few who turned out to watch. Berwick opened the scoring against the run of play when good work by Gregson left Dixon with an open goal. Rangers took the game thereafter with Weatherburn and Richardson, who had recently played trials for Heart of Midlothian and Blyth Spartans, a constant danger. It was foolishness on the part of Ferguson, however, that gave Coldstream an equaliser. The keeper had ample time to collect and clear a corner ball that was headed goal-ward by Alex Watson, but instead he tried to punch the ball and diverted it into the net. In the second half, Townsley tested Ferguson with a long shot before the keeper pulled off a tremendous save from a free kick just outside the area. His save paled into oblivion a few minutes later, however, when, after receiving a long shot from Renton, he hung on too long and Alex Watson rushed both him and the ball into the net. The pace then deteriorated rapidly as the elements took their toll, and the introduction of petty fouls by both teams prevented any further scoring, leaving Coldstream well on course for the championship.

26. A Boxing Day friendly against the KOSB Depot team, top of the Berwick and District Thursday League, drew a large crowd to the Union Park. The Soldiers were eager to prove who the premier team in the borough was but were totally outclassed by the civilian Rangers. Playing towards the town end, Rangers took the game in hand and in the fifth minute Erswell made a tricky run from a Drysdale pass to open the scoring in off the post. Adair went close by the narrowest of margins as the Depot team replied, but Black struck the bar with a fast shot and Richardson scored from the rebound to put Rangers further ahead. Redfearn scored soon after with a 25-yarder to which O'Neil went full stretch in a vain attempt to save. Rangers were now playing exhibition football, to the vocal backing of the home support, and added a further point when Redfearn converted a Richardson pass with lightening effort before a salvo of cheers greeted Redfearn's hat trick goal right on the interval. Although five goals down, the Borderers had not made such a hash of things as the scoreline suggested. However, they were never allowed to trouble Ferguson in the second half and the gulf in class between the Border Amateur and the Thursday League was there for all to see. Richardson struck the crossbar before Erswell executed a solo effort, but the referee had blown for a penalty kick, which Drysdale duly took and scored. It then appeared that Berwick were content with their 6-0 lead at this stage and played out the remaining time without much trouble and prove, without doubt, who were the premier team in the borough.


2. Leith Amateurs were the opponents in a New Year holiday friendly at Union Park. It was a bitter cold day, and there was little of interest in the first half to warm the large crowd. The Amateurs were poor up front and posed no real threat on the home goal. Rangers, on the other hand, had several reasonable chances, but Douglas and McLeod were playing a sound game at the back and it looked as if Berwick would go in at half-time unrewarded. However, James Black crossed the leather and somehow David Black netted, amidst some enthusiasm and sarcastic comments, but a goal is a goal no matter how it is scored. It was fully expected that the visitors would give a better display after the interval with the crosswind slightly in their favour, but Berwick took the whip hand. Leith conceded a penalty after some immense pressure from which Redfearn put Rangers two-up and there was no way back for Leith. Dixon scored a third from a difficult position after which time was called much to the delight of the semi-frozen crowd.

7. The KOSB Depot team were hit for six for the second time in three weeks. The visitors fielded a stronger side this time and the opened brightly. However, Rangers fought back, and by the interval were a goal ahead when Drysdale met Erswell's corner on the volley. The second half was merely 45 minutes shooting practice as Rangers took complete control. After only a few minutes pressure, Wakenshaw took a rebound from the keeper and scored with a high shot. A few minutes later, Drysdale hit a long shot that struck O'Neil before landing in the back of the net. A joint effort by Richardson and Redfearn resulted in the latter scoring goal number four, which was closely followed by another from Wakenshaw. O'Neil fisted out a shot from Erswell, but only as far as Wakenshaw who hit it back towards goal. The 'keeper managed to get a hold of the ball but stumbled backwards in the process and stepped over the goal line. O'Neil made amends for his mistake with a splendid save from Redfearn before the forward returned a minute later to score number six.

14. Local supporters left the Union Park thoroughly satisfied with Rangers' convincing 4-0 win over Gala Fairydean after a superb second half display in the opening round of the Scottish Consolation Cup. Berwick opened the scoring slightly against the run of play when a right-wing cross hit Redfearn, who was standing a yard from the line, and it landed in the back of the net. A second goal arrived just on the interval when Drysdale lifted a superb 18-yard free kick over the Gala wall and into the net. Early in the second half, a nice pass by Weatherburn gave Redfearn an opening and he blazed the ball home at a furious pace before completing his hat trick when Gregson centred from the right for the captain to beat Poulton from a yard out. Gala had no answer and were well and truly beaten.

In the draw for the Border Cup competition, the teams were divided into regional groups – Upper District and Lower District. The Upper District contained Gala Fairydean, Peebles Athletic, Selkirk and Vale of Leithen; the Lower District consisted of Coldstream, Chirnside United, Duns, Kelso, Spittal Rovers and Berwick Rangers. Chirnside and Berwick Rangers were given a first round bye with Rangers playing hosts to the winners of the Kelso versus Spittal Rovers tie in the second round.

21. After having a fair share of the exchanges in the first half and monopolising matters in the second, Berwick Rangers qualified for the semi-final stages of the Border Cup with a resounding 5-0 home win against Kelso. Kelso made two changes to their team, while Rangers placed their full-strength team on the field with Graham, late of Annfield Plain Celtic, making his debut. After a goalless first half, the crowd were becoming restless as the game entered its final quarter with no goals to show. It was only after Erswell broke away from a Kelso corner before centring for Graham to open the scoring that Rangers finally found their shooting boots, and from then on there was no stopping them. From a corner, Wakenshaw missed narrowly before Redfearn beat Atack following a Richardson cross. A third goal soon followed in identical fashion to the second. Not long after, Atack held on to a high shot from Redfearn for too long and was bundled, ball and all, into the net by Graham. Rangers were now all over the opposition and but for the heroics of Atack, Stewart and McKenzie the score would have been much higher. As it was, Erswell scored a superb fifth after tricking two defenders as Rangers progressed in the competition with relative ease.

28. The Tweedmouth National Old Boys team, current champions of the Berwick and District Thursday League, made a creditable appearance against Berwick Rangers in a friendly encounter at Union Park. Berwick were without Drysdale and Erswell, with Weatherburn and Robert Scott taking their places, while the National were at full strength. With the wind at their backs, the National were quite troublesome, but after the interval, they had only the occasional breakaway and goals by Scobie and Richardson gave Rangers a 2-0 lead before Leach responded with a late consolation for the Old Boys.


4. Berwick Rangers faced Broxburn Shamrock at Winchburgh on February 4th in the second round of the Scottish Consolation Cup. Berwick offered a sizable guarantee to transfer the game to Tweedmouth, but Shamrock preferred to play at home. However, there was jubilation amongst the Berwickers when the result filtered through, as the 1-0 win was more than the most ardent supporters had anticipated. At the last minute, the Rangers' committee decided not to alter the defence, which had played so well recently. Roughead dropped out of the team at his own request along with Scobie, who was unfit after the Old Boy's match. Shamrock had their best team on duty and included inside-left McEwan, who had previously played for East Fife, in their line-up along with inside-right Hagen, an ex-Hibernian and Port Glasgow Athletic player. Broxburn showed their form for the opening quarter, but thereafter Berwick began to find their feet and were top dogs until the end. Wakenshaw scored the all-important goal after smart work by Scott. However, Rangers were fortunate a few minutes later when the home side failed to score from a penalty when the shot hit the post. Ferguson put in a good shift to keep Broxburn at bay and a fine save in the closing minutes, in a one-on-one against Mulholland, staved off a draw.

11. The win over Broxburn Shamrock took Rangers to Peebles Rovers in the third round of the competition. Berwick, fielding the same eleven, attacked strongly from the start and were unlucky when Erswell broke through only to finish weakly before Peebles took control. Ferguson saved well from Curran but could not prevent Kelling from netting a few minutes later. Sanderson scored a second from a McDonald cross and Rangers faced an uphill battle. McPherson was called into action to deny Weatherburn as Berwick attacked, but Kelling scored his second of the match and the teams crossed over with Rangers 3-0 down. Berwick started the second half with only ten men after Richardson was forced to retire due to injury. Despite being outnumbered, Redfearn pulled a goal back from a corner as Berwick put up a fight and later missed a penalty after Haswell handled in the area. However, with time fast running out, Kelling forced Ferguson to push out his free kick and Curran, netting the rebound, put Rangers' cup progression to an end.

Rangers were having little, or no luck, in obtaining home draws in the cup competitions and the draw for the East of Scotland Consolation Cup proved no different when Armadale were drawn from the hat. Broxburn Shamrock had still not paid their guarantee from the Scottish Consolation Cup tie and, with finances already far from being satisfactory, and each journey losing a few extra pounds, the committee reluctantly decided to scratch.


11. At the suggestion of Duns, the semi-final of the Border Cup between the two teams was postponed until March 11th, owing to the Berwick Hirings. The Rangers' committee highly appreciated this neighbourly action, as the full team would have been unable to travel on the scheduled date of March 4th. Rangers showed from the kick-off that they meant business, regardless of neighbourly actions, and repeatedly attacked the home goal. However, at the interval the teams were still level despite the game being played almost entirely in the Duns half. The Duns defence, having kept the Rangers at bay for so long, collapsed on the restart when Richardson opened the scoring. Spurred on by this success, Berwick increased the pressure and Richardson added a second before five minutes had passed. Realising that it was now or never, Duns put new life into their game, but a late consolation, when Tindal, taking up a pass from Herald, scored with a neat shot, was the best they could offer. Duns later lodged a protest on the grounds that Peter Richardson had played a trial for Heart of Midlothian A against Alloa Athletic in a Central League match on December 10th. Berwick had failed to notify the Border Football Association of his return, therefore breaking article 3 of the Border Cup rules. In defence, Rangers claimed that there was no attempt at under-hand work having kept Robert Scott out of the team, knowing he was ineligible. However, a replay was ordered with Richardson being reinstated and eligible to play in the rematch.

18. A makeshift Berwick Rangers team dispatched Spittal Rovers by a Wakenshaw goal to nil in a benefit match for the family of fisherman John Lough.

25. The committee were very reluctant to send a team to Duns because of the expense, but wiser council prevailed, and the team took to the field in a determined manner. From the centreline, Dixon sent in a beauty that Heatlie fisted out, but Scott, running in, caught the ball and rammed it home after only eight minutes. Duns had a brief spell of pressure late in the half and equalised when the ball accidentally hit Hill on the arm and the referee harshly awarded a penalty. Colvin took the kick, and the teams were level. At the interval, Duns lodged another protested to the referee, to the sound of ironic cheers from the Berwickers in the crowd that Robert Robertson had played for some other team and was therefore ineligible to play. As could be expected, play deteriorated rapidly in the second forty-five. Erswell gave Rangers the lead after hitting home Weatherburn's rebounded effort midway through the half, but everyone's thoughts were focused on the Border Cup Committees decision as to whether Robertson was eligible or not. Robertson had taken part in the Scottish Qualifying Cup tie at Duns for Peebles Rovers. Duns were adamant that he was reinstated to Spittal Rovers, and for that reason he could not play for anyone else. However, it was proved at a meeting of the Border Association that Spittal Rovers had re-signed a player by the name of "Roberts" not "Robertson." The protest was unanimously dismissed and arrangements for Berwick Rangers to participate in the Border Cup Final at Kelso on Saturday April 8th, with a four o'clock kick-off, were confirmed.


1. In preparation for the upcoming Border Cup final, Berwick fixed up a friendly fixture at the Union Park with Cambois United, current leaders and likely champions of the Wansbeck League. The visitors started strongly, and the Berwick defence was subjected to some severe pressure. However, the back line stood firm and Rangers surprisingly took the lead when Richardson scored a simple goal from a well-placed Erswell cross. Cambois soon levelled when Wheatley gave Ferguson little chance following a corner and a few minutes later United took the lead with a Jarvis penalty after Robertson had handled in front of goal. A fluky goal gave the visitors a 3-1 half-time lead when Dixon fumbled instead of clearing the ball and Drysdale, the Cambois inside-left, had nothing else to do, but steer it into the net. In the second half, Rangers had most of the game, but chance after chance was missed due to poor finishing. However, Redfearn got within shooting distance before being upended in the box and he beat the keeper with the resultant spot kick. From that point on, Rangers pressed continually and should have equalised when Richardson was clean through but skied his shot and at the final whistle Cambois were lucky to have escaped with such a narrow victory.

8. Throughout the season, there had been a strange lack of interest shown by the Berwick people in the doings of the club. However, nearly 200 supporters donned the black and gold colours aboard a special excursion, run by the North British Railway Company, as it left Berwick station for the Border Cup Final against Selkirk at Kelso. After stopping at Coldstream, the train arrived at Kelso where over 300 Selkirk supporters decked out in green and white met the Berwick support, and light-hearted banter was exchanged, which continued throughout the day. Selkirk started match proceedings at Bennett's Park in a determined manner, and the Berwick defence was flustered by the suddenness of the onslaught. Reid had the ball in the net, but he was judged to have scored from an offside position, much to the delight of the Berwick defence who were being run off their feet, and the goal was disallowed. Soon after, however, Selkirk forced a corner and, from Davidson's placing, Marshall scored. In no time at all Selkirk were two up. Drysdale tackled Lockie illegally in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Marshall took the kick and sent the Selkirk supporters into raptures. Up to this point, Rangers had played second fiddle due to the Soutars having that extra yard of speed. As the interval approached, there was a marked improvement in the Rangers' ranks, and they showed some urgency in their play. Although the Selkirk supporters were jubilant at half-time the general opinion was that the Berwick defence had done well to limit the scoring to two goals and it was not beyond them to win provided a better vein of form was struck. Ten minutes after the restart, after strong encouragement from the Berwick support, Rangers opened their account when, from a well-judged centre from the goal line by Scott, Richardson tapped the ball home in off the post. Both teams now concentrated their efforts on defence and long-range shooting became the norm. However, Rangers had the better shooting boots and levelled the score when an Erswell cross was met on the volley by Redfearn with such force that it was doubtful whether Mills ever saw the ball as it flew past him into the net. Rangers surged forward but could not pierce the Selkirk defence again, and the final whistle came as a relief to the Selkirk support.

14. With the Border Cup Final replay to be played only twenty-four hours later, Rangers erred on the side of caution and fielded a scratch eleven in a Good Friday friendly against Newcastle North Eastern Railway, which was watched by a large attendance. A strong westerly wind prevailed and made entertaining football out of the question. With the wind behind them in the first half, the Railwaymen sailed into a 2-0 lead, but Rangers replied with three in the second through Erswell, twice, and Wakenshaw.

15. The replay of the Border Cup Final took place at a windswept Bennett's Park, Kelso, on Easter Saturday. The Selkirk contingent amongst the large crowd that lined the ropes was not as numerous as previous whereas the Berwick support was a great deal stronger. Selkirk had plenty of possession in the opening stages but lacked imagination and let the Berwick defence get the better of them. As the interval fast approached, Selkirk still had not used the elements to their advantage. Nobody thought that Rangers would score against the wind, but it happened. Redfearn received from Scott and, with a superb shot, left Mills no choice other than to pick the ball from the back of the net. In the second half, and with the strong wind now blowing in their favour, Rangers took the fight to the Selkirk end. Erswell edged down the wing and sent in a left-footed cross, which Richardson missed, but Scott was lying handy and scored. Keeping up the pressure, Redfearn dashed between the backs and gave Mills no chance with a pile driver. With the issue sorted, many of the Selkirk supporters began to leave. Drysdale hit the woodwork as Rangers continued their quest before Selkirk adopted the one back game as they tried in vain to salvage some pride. Richardson took advantage of the gap left behind and, in a one-on-one situation with Mills, he put the final nail in Selkirk's coffin. The keeper dithered, and Richardson's shot hit his shins before entering the net. With the job now done, Berwick slackened the pace for the remaining minutes. Selkirk had failed to reproduce their form in the replay, and no one could deny that Rangers were the better team. Mr. Williamson of Peebles Athletic later presented the cup to captain David Redfearn in front of Sanderson's shop, in Kelso town centre, where it had been on display. At Berwick station, a large crowd awaited the arrival of the "special" and, with the captain holding the cup aloft, a great cheering crowd marched down the Castlegate and High Street to the Northumberland Arms for a night of celebration.

17. Celebrations over, a friendly match against a select eleven of the Berwick and District Thursday League took place at Union Park on the holiday Monday afternoon. Neither team was as selected with Ferguson, Dixon, Collin, Drysdale and Erswell of the Rangers' cup winning team absent, and the four KOSB members of the Thursday team failed to turn up through not having been informed of the correct kick-off time. At the interval, the teams were level with Barth of the Rangers and Gilchrist of the League both scoring. After the change of ends, Rangers had the bulk of the play without showing a strong determination to score. Weatherburn and William Trainer, the club's treasurer, added goals as Berwick ran off comfortable 3-1 winners.

27. In the final game of the season, played under heavy rain, a large crowd gathered to watch the evening's events as Coldstream only needed a point against the Rangers to finish as Border Amateur League champions. Despite the importance of the game, neither side was at full strength. Rangers were the first to threaten, but Houliston, with only Smith to beat, held onto the ball too long and the danger was cleared. The game then took a decisive turn when Jackson scored from eight yards, after Robertson hand miskicked in front of goal, and from that point on Coldstream had matters their own way. Ford added a second with a long shot from a corner ball, which struck the foot of the post before entering the net, and Alex Watson netted a third on the stoke of half-time. After the interval, the home side eased off, owing mainly to the slippery nature of the ground on which the players could scarcely keep their feet, and the game ended more as a farce than an important championship decider. The 3-0 victory rendered Coldstream's last remaining match with Duns "pointless," and with the Dingers now unable to match the points they refused to play the match, just for the sake of it.

The Coldstream match brought the curtain down on a disappointing season from a financial point of view. The club had been poorly supported throughout the season, and it came as no surprise when the end of season financial report showed a substantial loss due mainly to cup-tie travelling expenses. Only four of the fifteen cup-ties played were at home and the £6 awarded to the Rangers by the Border Football Association for winning the Border Cup was of little consequence.