1909/10: Mutiny in the Ranks


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 21 F H Coldstream D 4-4
28 EQC 1 H Gala Fairydean W 3-1
Sep 4 SQC 1 A Vale of Leithen D 1-1
11 SQC 1R H Vale of Leithen D 2-2
16 F H Celtic L 2-6
18 SQC 1R2 N Vale of Leithen D 0-0
22 SQC 1R3 N Vale of Leithen W 9-0
25 SQC 2 A Duns W 3-1
Oct 2 SQC 3 H Beith D 1-1
9 SQC 3R A Beith L 1-3
16 EQC 2 H Duns W 5-0
23 EQC SF H West Calder Swifts L 0-3
30 KC 1 H Selkirk D 1-1
Nov 6 KC 1R A Selkirk L 0-1
13 BL H Duns W 5-0
Dec 25 F H Broxburn Shamrock W 5-1
27 F H KOSB Depot D 2-2
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 1 BL H Gala Fairydean W 5-0
3 BL A Duns L 2-3
8 SCC 1 A Duns D 1-1
15 SCC 1R H Duns W 3-2
22 SCC 2 H Vale of Leithen W 2-0
Feb 5 SCC 3 H St Bernard's L 1-4
12 ECC 2 A Gala Fairydean L 0-1
19 BC 1 H Duns W 1-0
26 BL A Selkirk L 0-2
Mar 5 BC 1R H Duns L 1-2
Apr 2 F H Newcastle NER W 5-1
9 BL H Selkirk W 5-2
14 F H Rangers L 1-6
23 BL A Gala Fairydean L 1-3

Border League

Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Selkirk 8 4 0 0 12 5 0 1 3 4 13 9
2 Gala Fairydean 8 2 2 0 8 5 1 0 3 4 9 8
3 Vale of Leithen 6 3 0 0 8 2 0 2 1 4 6 8
4 Berwick Rangers 6 3 0 0 15 2 0 0 3 3 8 6
5 Duns 8 2 1 1 8 7 0 0 4 6 15 5
Fixtures not completed.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

A G A G   A G A G A G A G A G A G
Robert Boston 1
James Brotherton 1 3
Harry Burgon 5 2 3 1 2 7 3 6
Thomas Burn 3 1 2 2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1
John Dixon 3 2 1 1 4 1
Jack Drysdale 1 2 1 7 1 3 6 1
Charlie Erswell 3 1 3 2 7 4 3 5 2
Ernest Fenby 1 1 2 1
Thomas Gray 1
William Gregson 1 1 1 1 1
James Haswell 4 1 2 3 1 1 5 4 5 1
Alex Hope 6 3 2 2
John Hope 3 1
Lennie Melrose 2 2
Kerr Middlemiss 1
William Oliver 1
George Patterson 1
John Patterson 2 2 1 1
William Patterson 1 1 1 1
James Piercy 1 1
Jack Poulton 5 2 3 1 2 7 4 3
James Purves 2 1 1
David Redfearn 6 7 2 1   3 1 1 2 7 2 4 1 5 4
Peter Richardson 4 1 1 3 3 1 1 6 5 4 3 3 1
Joseph Roberts 2 2
George Robertson 4 1 1 1 4 3
Hugh Robertson 2 1 2 2 1 1
Robert Robertson 1 1 1 6 2 1
Tom Roughead 1 1 1 2
John Scobie 3 1 2 1   1 1 1 1 4 2 2 3
Robert Scott 1 1 1 1 1
Robert Tait 1
William Thomson 1 2 1
William Trainer 1
William Vallance 1
Robert Wakenshaw 5 1 1 3 2 2 1 3 3
Andrew Watson 1
Alex Weatherburn 1 1 1
Peter Young 1
Number of players used: 39

Despite having their most successful season to date with three trophies to their name, Berwick Rangers had only managed to wipe £2 from their debt. Had it not been for the generosity of Alderman Marshall, who gave the use of Union Park gratis, the debt would have increased considerably, and the club appealed to the supporters for more financial help.

Having won the Border League Championship for 1908/09, without losing a single match, Rangers set their sights on higher ground and applied for admission to the Scottish Amateur League. This year the SAL was to be split into two sections, east and west, in a bid to reduced travelling costs. The winners and runners-up of each section were to play each other on cup-tie principles for a trophy awarded by Queen's Park. The east section already contained Edinburgh Civil Service, Leith Amateurs, Parkside Amateurs and Edinburgh University and four vacancies were available. Berwick Rangers along with Vale of Leithen, West Calder Swifts and Bonnyrigg Amateurs applied for admission. At a committee meeting of the SAL in Edinburgh the last three named were admitted, the case for Berwick though hung on the question of an extra £2 guarantee for the travelling clubs. The Rangers' committee, however, decided that the teams composing the east section were not considered attractive enough to justify the extra expenditure. As a result, the club decided to consolidate their position in Border football, playing their first eleven in the Border League and a second eleven in the Border Amateur League. The club renewed their membership of both the Scottish and East of Scotland football associations, gaining entry to their associated cup competitions.


21.The season kicked off with a friendly against Coldstream at the Union Park. Rangers were short of a few of their best players and they failed to cope with the clever Coldstream attack. Drysdale and Erswell combined well up front with the latter opening Berwick's account. However, Coldstream began to have a say in matters and Brotherton, in the home goal, was called into action on several occasions before Anderson finally equalised with a cleverly taken centre from Melrose. A few minutes later, a long-dropping shot by Townsley put Coldstream ahead. However, Berwick were level before half-time when Murray stopped Richardson abruptly in the penalty box and Alex Hope beat Smith from the spot. Hope was again on target early in the second half when he hit home a superb Erswell cross. Erswell later finished off a neat piece of teamwork to add number four to the score before Coldstream hit back. With the home defence offering little resistance, Anderson reduced the lead, and it came as no surprise when Carmichael made it 4-4 following a solo run a few minutes before time.

28. Gala Fairydean visited Union Park for a first round East of Scotland Qualifying Cup match which was spoiled by high winds. Berwick played with the downwind in the first half, but a promising display by Gala, together with a poor one-goal lead at the interval, caused grave doubts about Rangers' chances of winning. Robertson scored the only goal of the half when, on receiving the ball from a throw-in, he chanced a shot from fully 40 yards and the ball sailed gracefully into the far corner of the net. However, Gala were disappointing after the break despite having the wind at their backs. Rangers doubled their lead when Robertson tried another long shot following a throw-in and Nicoll failed to touch the ball as it flew into the net. Gala pulled a goal back after Patterson was forced to concede a corner; W. Bennett place well and G. Bennett thumped it home. With the game hanging in the balance and time running out, Erswell was brought down in the penalty box when on a promising run and Redfearn made sure of a Berwick victory when he scored from the spot.


4. Berwick Rangers and Vale of Leithen started what was to turn out to be a long-drawn-out battle, when the two teams met in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup at Caddon Park. Vale opened strongly against a patched-up Berwick side, minus the services of the Hope brothers, Patterson and Tommy Burn. However, Rangers went closest first when Erswell hit the side netting with a powerful shot before Dickson put Vale ahead from a free kick a few minutes later. Vale continued to press with Watson bringing out Poulton's abilities with a hot shot and later missed with the goal at his mercy. Erswell hit the post in the first minute of the second half as Berwick pushed strongly for the equaliser and kept play mainly in the home side's half. However, their finishing was poor, and it took until the final minute of the game to find the leveller when Wakenshaw was given an opening with which he could not miss.

11. In the replay at Union Park, Rangers were back to near full strength with Alex Hope and Burn back in the squad. Berwick were constantly on the attack, but the Vale defence kept them out and Rangers were caught on the break. From a swift right-wing move, Yellowlees received in the centre and unleashed a powerful shot, giving Poulton little chance. Four minutes later, Yellowlees scored a second with a simple four-yard shot. Berwick continued the fight and several players missed easy chances, especially Thomson, who missed an open goal. However, a minute from the interval Burn reduced the deficit when he hammered home a free kick from the edge of the box. On the restart, Redfearn was unlucky when his goal-bound shot hit the crossbar before rebounding straight down on the goal line and back into play. Better luck came his way few minutes later, however, when he headed home a Thomson cross for the equaliser. Berwick upped their game, but Vale withstood the onslaught, and the teams were to meet yet again. Rangers had had three-quarters of the play, but a weakness up front proved to be their downfall.

16. A friendly against Celtic at Union Park gave Berwick a welcomed break from their cup encounters. Celtic had promised to play an exhibition game the previous season, but due to a full fixture list, they could not find a suitable date. Celtic sent a strong eleven; Rangers on the other hand were at full strength and included Lennie Melrose, a promising player from Coldstream, in the forward line. Playing towards the town end of the field, Celtic, as was expected, attacked strongly from the start. Berwick's defence failed to withstand the early onslaught and D. McLean sent a lightening shot past Poulton. Rangers made a strenuous effort in response but made little impression upon their professional opponents. Celtic quickly turned defence into attack when Dodds robbed Drysdale in the goalmouth before sending a long ball down the field for D. McLean to blast in a shot that hit the back off the net before Poulton could see it. Celtic then slackened the pace, giving Berwick a bit of space in which to play of which Melrose took full advantage with a goal-bound shot that Adam failed to hold. Berwick were put back under pressure, but Melrose again got the better of the Celtic defence, after Erswell had played him through, to put Rangers on level terms. After the interval, Berwick were simply not in the picture. Celtic regained the lead when Poulton groped at but missed L. McLean's shot, and a few minutes later Dodds tipped the ball home as Celtic forced a pace that the Berwickers could not maintain. Poulton won the plaudits of the crowd with a splendid save to deny L. McLean a certain goal and a few minutes later Erswell drew shouts of praise as he tricked Johnstone four times before rounding Loney and shooting on goal. However, Adam saved Erswell's shot and Celtic replied with Munro hitting number five with a long, swift shot into the top corner. Afterwards, Thomson and Melrose both tried hard to get through for Berwick, but the visiting backs were giving nothing away and Kivlichan made it 6-2 when he headed home a late corner.

18. The second replay against Vale of Leithen in the Scottish Qualifying Cup, played at Hawthorn Park, Duns, turned out to be another closely contested encounter, where either team would have been unlucky to lose, but, after ninety minutes, the game was still all square and goalless. Vale had a glorious chance to take the lead in the first period of extra time, but Dickson failed to beat Poulton from the penalty spot after Burgon had brought down Yellowlees in the area and a third replay was required to find a winner.

22. For the fourth meeting, at Tynecastle Park, Edinburgh, wholesale positional changes were made to the Rangers' starting line-up; Haswell, who replaced Burn, was the only individual change. Many who attended the match held their heads in disbelief at the changes and began to question the sanity of the men composing the Rangers' committee. However, their policy was vindicated by a stunning 9-0 victory. The whole team were up for it from the start and, by the interval, they were three goals ahead. Vale, who were seldom dangerous, were then unfortunate to lose the services of John Yeoman, with a dislocated shoulder, and played the remainder of the match with only one defender. Rangers exploited this weakness and Vale were unable to stem the onslaughts as Berwick hammered past six goals. Richardson hit top form to notch four, Erswell three and Alex Hope two, as Rangers progressed to round two and another cup encounter with Duns.

25. A large crowd graced the barriers at a fog-bound Union Park to witness the second round Scottish Qualifying Cup tie. Mindful of their defeat on the last occasion the two teams met, the Border Amateur League Championship decider last season, Berwick forced the pace throughout, with Duns mainly on the defensive. John Hope and Richardson were both exceedingly unlucky not to score but atoned for their misses when Hope provided the cross for Richardson to score the opening goal. Later, Dixon centred nicely, Richardson just failed to connect, but Erswell followed up to give Rangers a comfortable half-time lead. Duns were back in the game at the start of the second half when Law's swift shot was saved by Poulton, but he failed to hold on to the slippery ball, which bounced by his side, and the referee awarded a goal. Rangers pressed thereafter and a long shot by Redfearn went straight into the top corner of the net to restore Berwick's two-goal advantage. From then on Rangers were in control. McLaren missed a penalty for the visitors, but otherwise Duns never threatened the home goal again and Berwick won more comfortably than the 3-1 scoreline suggested.


2. West coast competition came to the Union Park in the third round Scottish Qualifying Cup, on October 2nd, when "dark horses" Beith were the visitors. Beith were an unknown quantity and proved a large draw for the curious in a game played in typical cup-tie fashion. The visitors took advantage of a stiff breeze and had the majority of the first half play. A free kick from close in gave them good ground from which McPherson scored. Rangers, however, fought gamely and although one goal down at half-time there seemed to be little anxiety on their behalf. Berwick opened the second half in a business-like manner, and they were soon rewarded. Smith misjudged a kick and conceded a corner; Dixon swung the ball nicely across the goal and Drysdale headed in the equaliser. Only poor finishing let the visitors off the hook as Rangers dominated from then on, with some of the more enthusiastic supporters beginning to see the team taking part in the Scottish Cup proper. Beith resorted to time wasting tactics as they desperately held on and were lucky to escape with a one-all draw thanks mainly to the ability of their keeper. Rangers had failed to take home advantage and now faced a long journey west for the replay.

9. Around 1500 spectators lined Glebe Park, Beith, for the replay. Rangers opened as they finished the previous week – on the attack, but poor finishing again was to be their downfall. Despite Alex Hope giving them the lead with a 25th minute penalty, they were in arrears by half-time. Torrance equalised ten minutes from the interval; Poulton then made three spectacular saves but could not prevent Torrance from scoring again with two minutes of the half remaining. In the second half, Rangers pulled out all the stops to draw level, but they were caught out at the back in the process and Walker extended Beith's lead. Rangers continued to press, and the home battled hard to preserve their 3-1 lead and progress to the next round at Berwick's expense.

16. Berwick Rangers got back to winning ways with Duns on the receiving end of a 5-0 thrashing at Union Park in the second round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup. It was not one-way traffic, however, as Duns had the better of the play in the opening stages. Rangers gradually gained the upper hand and took the lead when Erswell's timely run and centre was diverted home by Richardson. The Berwick front line was now working in harmony and it came as no surprise when the Duns defence failed again. Erswell beat McLaren down the wing and from near the corner flag he crossed for Burn to head into the net. In the second half Heatlie made several fine saves, as Berwick continued to press. Burn increased the lead to three from a well-taken centre by Erswell but injured himself and the keeper in the process. Play was suspended for a short while, and on the resuming Heatlie had to look sharp to prevent Richardson from scoring. Richardson made amends a few minutes later when, after receiving from Burn, he beat the keeper with a net-bursting shot. Richardson was unlucky to see his shot miss the post by inches before J. Law relieved the attack with a good run from which he struck the side netting. Burn had a goal disallowed for offside before Richardson completed his hat trick with a fine solo run. Duns had a spell of late pressure, but the home defence had the measure of their attack and ran out the remaining few minutes to book their semi-final place.

23. West Calder Swifts were Berwick's semi-final opponents in a match played under atrocious weather conditions at Union Park. Rangers started the game with only ten men due to the non-appearance of Robertson, with Dixon stepping into the breech shortly after the kick-off. A deluge of rain had made the playing surface slippery and the leather ball heavy, making the art of passing football near impossible, but both teams tried their best, and the first half ended unsurprisingly goalless. Undaunted by their drenched conditions, and the prospect of more rain to come, the teams resumed after the interval with renewed enthusiasm. Both teams were reduced to ten men after Richardson and Stein came to blows and, when the game was eventually restarted, Gillon found the corner of the net for the visitors with an unstoppable shot. Despite the Swifts' one goal advantage, it was still anybody's game, and Rangers looked like drawing level. However, their hopes were dashed after a slick move down the left by West Calder allowed McGovern to round Haswell before running on to score. Berwick fought back, but a deceptive ball beat Haswell and Stirling, taking advantage of the slip, scored the Swifts' third and final goal.

30. It was a case of out of one cup and into another as Rangers kicked-off their defence of the King Cup with a first-round tie against Selkirk at Union Park. However, Rangers gave a poor display, despite the ideal playing conditions, and they were lucky to escape with a draw. Berwick started in a promising fashion and looked certain winners when Scobie ran in to score after 11 minutes. It looked like more goals were to follow, but Selkirk gradually warmed to the game and with a minute of the half remaining Marshall rounded Haswell and levelled the score. After the interval, Selkirk upped the pressure on the Berwick back line, but somehow failed to find the net, and with the defence holding their own comfortably against a now lacklustre Rangers attack, they were unlucky not to have won at the finish.


6. An ongoing dispute between some playing members and the committee of the club reached a point that made changes necessary for the replay at Selkirk and several juniors were drafted into the team. A tremendous effort by supporters, who held a "more than" successful bazaar, raising £424 in response to the committee's request for more funds to help clear the club's debt, led many of the senior players asking to be paid in full for missing a Saturday morning's shift for away matches. At a special meeting, the committee refused to pay the players wages as it meant professionalism. The club was not run as business concern and the committee were determined to remain purely amateur. After discussions, which at times was somewhat heated, eighteen players decided to remain loyal to the club and play for the love and sport of the game, but some, including two of the leading players, decided not to play in dispute. The committee's stance and action of ridding themselves of the disgruntled players, even at the expense of weakening the team, won the backing of the supporters. Consequently, a youthful but willing team travelled to Selkirk. The scratch team played remarkably well, considering the changes, and the game was still in doubt with only two minutes remaining. However, the Soutars were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. Lockie placed nicely; Marshall hit the back of the net with a superb shot and Rangers were out.

13. In defence of their title, Rangers fielded a team containing six youngsters in a match against Border League newcomers Duns. Berwick ran out comfortable 5-0 winners, the same score as the previous encounter between the two clubs. The repeat scoreline said much for the young blood with which the Rangers' committee had substituted for the more experienced members, who had now severed their connections with the club. Fenby opened the scoring when he was in the right place at the right time to poke home an Erswell cross. A few minutes later, a classic right-wing move ended with Fenby returning the favour when Erswell latched on his in-swinging centre to score from close range. After the interval, Duns made a vain attempt to claw their way back into the game, but Berwick soon showed their superiority with Erswell eluding the defence before crossing for Scott to score number three. Redfearn increased the lead before Wakenshaw sealed Duns' fate with late penalty awarded against McLaren for a foul.

To comply with new regulations stipulated by the Scottish Football Association, the club was obliged to provide, amongst others, separate changing facilities for both teams and the referee. With the regulation in mind, the committee showed great enterprise by purchasing, as a pavilion, the Old Cookery School, which once stood in the playground of the Girls' National School on Northumberland Avenue, from Mr. B. G. Sinclair for the sum of £35. It had been removed from the school after having been erected contrary to local byelaws and later it became a store in a builder's yard belonging to Mr. Sinclair on Ness Street. Further ground improvements were carried out during the month of December with the playing area being flattened and considerably extended, along with a barrier built around the pitch. The pavilion was of a wooden construction with a tin roof, the slope of which gave ideal conditions for a covered stand, which was added to give some spectators a better view and more comfort for their "tuppence" extra.


25. With the improvement work nearing completion, Rangers announced their festive friendly fixture list with Broxburn Shamrock the visitors on Christmas Day. Berwick turned out one of their strongest teams for some time. The renegade players, Haswell and Drysdale, who had settled their differences with the committee, were back in the fold, and the spectators were treated to a fast game despite the irregular playing surface. The players were having some difficulty in controlling the ball with the ground in such a poor condition, due to the improvements being carried out, and the pitch enlargement was causing Berwick's passes to fall far too short of their intended target. However, as the game progressed Rangers got used to the pitch and won 5-1. The opening forecast a lively game as both teams played end-to-end football. Broxburn gave the Berwick defence little peace and took the lead when Haswell miskicked, and Jack took advantage of his error to beat Brotherton with a shot well out of the keeper's reach. Burn soon placed the teams on an equal footing with a grand shot, as Rangers gained the upper hand, and a few minutes later Scobie grazed the crossbar with a fierce shot. The constant pressure by the Berwick forwards soon paid dividends when Scobie rounded the visitor's backs and scored from close range. More pressure early in the second half saw Redfearn score with a splendid overhead kick. Scobie added to the tally with an equally well-taken goal before completing his hat trick when he hit home the rebound after the visiting keeper had pushed Burn's shot into his path.

27. On holiday Monday, Rangers met the KOSB Depot team in a charity match at Union Park to raising funds to help provide the poor children of the borough with boots. A large crowd turned out to watch as a Drysdale cross was turned past O'Neil by Redfearn to give the Rangers a 1-0 half-time lead. Five minutes after the restart good passing work between Drysdale and Burn gave Redfearn the opportunity to further Berwick's lead. However, the Soldiers fought back with solid determination and, before the end, they had levelled matters with Reilly scoring a fine brace. Such was the Military's resolve that had the final whistle not blown when it did Rangers would have been a beaten team.


1. On New Year's Day, Rangers held a Border League match with Gala Fairydean at Union Park. Gala were having a poor season, having already lost two and drawn two of their league fixtures, and local supporters fully expected them to leave pointless. The Fairies, however, put up a reasonable fight in the opening half and Poulton was called into action on more than one occasion to clear his lines. Wild shooting by the home forwards was mainly responsible for the lack of early success on the goal front, but a good piece of work down the left wing ended with Redfearn rounding the backs to score from close range. Berwick opened the second half in a manner that showed they meant business, and after a period of constant pressure, Scobie scored with a tremendous shot. Burn was unlucky to have a goal disallowed due to Richardson being in an offside position, as the pressure continued, before a Dixon centre found Redfearn in a good position to net number three. At this point, the referee stopped the game and called the teams together. He then asked the Rangers team if they would agree to Gala's request to cut short the second half by ten minutes to allow them to catch their return train. Rangers agreed. Immediately on play being restarted, Burn scored a soft goal from a Dixon pass. With time running out, and the Gala men with their sights set on home, a defender cleverly fisted Burn's net-bound shot round the post. A penalty was duly awarded; Haswell scored, and the visitors left early.

3. Rangers made the short journey to Duns in an unsuccessful attempt to bag two more Border League points. Fielding an unchanged side, they were outfought in a hard game and Duns deservedly took the points 3-2.

8. Berwick Rangers returned Hawthorn Park for the second time in a week, this time on Scottish Consolation Cup duty, and with a much stronger team. Duns kicked off with a strong wind and heavy rain against them and it came as no surprise that Berwick pressed strongest in the early stages. However, Duns opened the scoring against the run of play when Gladstone broke away on his own; however, their lead was short-lived as, a few minutes later, Scobie equalised after a good run down the wing. The second half opened with more heavy rain, but both teams battled hard despite the elements. Heatlie made a splendid save to deny Erswell as Berwick began to gain the upper hand. Duns fought back strongly and well-taken corner by James Law narrowly missed the crossbar, however, neither side could find the net despite numerous chances and the game ended all square.

15. In the replay at Union Park, Rangers pressed hard from the start and by half-time held a three-goal lead. The home supporters were having visions of a routing, but a poor performance in the later stages of the second half left Berwick hanging on. The game started in sensational fashion with a slick left wing move by Berwick ending with Heatlie miskicking an in-swinging cross, which left Richardson in a perfect position to score in the first minute. Rangers caused the Duns defence more problems when Burn forced a corner; Scobie placed the kick perfectly and Redfearn headed home a second. More havoc followed with the visiting goal having some narrow escapes. Scobie was again goal maker when Burn, who was playing his last game for the club before taking up new employment in London with top amateur side London Caledonians, latched on to his centre and gave Berwick a 3-0 interval lead. Both teams made positional changes on the restart, but Rangers started where they left off. Duns were on the defensive for the first quarter-hour with Scobie striking the upright and Richardson shooting narrowly over. Duns then began to find their feet and Gladstone took the opportunity of a misunderstanding between the backs to break through and score. Encouraged by this success, Duns pushed forward and Gladstone rounded Haswell to score a second. The equaliser looked inevitable when Burn miskicked in front of goal but, luckily, Poulton saved the day with a tremendous diving save.

22. Vale of Leithen were Rangers' Scottish Consolation Cup Second Round opponents at a snow-covered Union Park. A biting crosswind added to the discomfort as the teams kicked off in a hurried fashion. Rangers repeated their performance of the previous week by scoring in the opening minute when Erswell halted a Vale attack on the 18-yard line and played the ball upfield before centring for Richardson to round the defence and score. The pace then slackened considerably, as the biting cold set in, and there was scarcely anything to interest the sparse crowd. With play evenly balanced, the visitors began to look the best bet despite being a goal down. Their attacks were causing the Rangers defence a fair bit of trouble, but they seemed content to shoot from long range and Poulton soaked up the pressure with a string of fine saves. Vale were made to pay dear for their missed chances when a soft Richardson shot on goal was back-heeled away from the keeper by a defender and Scobie was on hand to prod the ball home. It was a different story after the interval, however, as Rangers pressing continually throughout, but could not add to their score despite creating several excellent chances.


5. A third-round home draw against Scottish League opposition, in the form of second division St Bernard's, was Rangers' prize for their Scottish Consolation Cup victory over Vale of Leithen. A tempting offer to play the match at the Royal Gymnasium in the Stockbridge area of Edinburgh did not tempt the committee to deprive local supporters of such a treat, and the game was played at Union Park on February 5th. The match raised a considerable amount interest and a large crowd from all parts of the eastern Borders turned out to watch. However, the Saints fielded a full-strength team against the Rangers, who were minus the services of Burgon and Haswell due to influenza, and it turned out to be a one-team game. Berwick held their own until ten minutes before the interval and, from then on, they were outclassed. The visitors forced a corner from which Graham opened the scoring. A few minutes later, Wilkie sent in a powerful shot that struck Poulton unawares and, from the rebound, Logan increased their lead. Haswell then failed to stop the progress of Simpson who hit a fierce shot from close in; Poulton saved, but instead of throwing it out, he tried to bounce it past the inrushing players and paid the penalty when Graham dispossessed him and scored. Three-nil down at the interval, Scobie went close with a fine shot as Rangers attacked from the restart, but the visitors soon regained control. Against the run of play, Dixon headed another attack on the Saints' goal and Gregson sent across the goalmouth for Richardson to score a fine goal. Berwick's joy was short-lived, however, as, from the kick-off, the Saints worked their way down the wing and Ross netted number four. A late surge by Berwick saw Gregson miss an open goal, but it was too little too late as Rangers were outclassed.

12. A week later, Berwick Rangers tumbled out of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup at Eastlands Park, Galashiels, by a goal to nil against the Fairydean. The game was evenly contested and there was little to choose between the teams. However, after a goalless first half, Gala were the more determined and, after some excellent work down the right, Bell sent an unstoppable shot past Poulton for the only goal of the game.

19. The Border Cup was Rangers' last chance of a cup success this season, and a tough encounter at Union Park against local rivals Duns faced them in the opening round of the competition. Berwick were forced through circumstance to field a scratch eleven, and a win for Duns seemed a forgone conclusion. However, instead of Duns romping home as expected, Rangers put up a tremendous fight and won by the only goal of the game. Heatlie stopped a long shot from Patterson but, before he could clear, Gregson challenged him, and Scobie stabbed the loose ball home. Duns later protested on the grounds that Gregson was ineligible, having played for Berwick Northern in the Berwick & District Thursday League, and the cup committee ordered the tie to be replayed.

26. Berwick Rangers travelled to table-topping Selkirk for a scheduled Border League fixture on February 26th. Selkirk deserved their hard-fought 1-0 victory that almost assured the Ettrick Park club of finishing in top place. The Soutars had the better of the opening half and nearing the interval Marshall opened the scoring following a fine run down right by Hall. Play after the interval was more even, but Selkirk edged matters late on and Lockie sealed their victory from a Johnston cross.


5. The Border Cup replay against Duns took place on March hiring day in Berwick. However, despite there being many people in the town, the fact that the two teams were meeting for the eighth time this season ensured that a low number of spectators bothered to watch the match. Duns attacked hard from the start in search of an early goal, but it took until midway through the half before their efforts were rewarded. Blackie beat the Berwick backs and made for Poulton in a manner that threatened his security. Haswell tried in vain to halt his progress, and Poulton ran out to clear, but he kicked the ball against Blackie, and it rebounded into the net. A double blow for the visitors reduced their numbers to nine. Feeney had to leave the field after injuring his knee in a tussle with Dixon, and a few minutes later the same player was involved in a clash of heads with Blackie, who was taken off with concussion. Despite this setback, Duns still managed to increase their lead before the interval when slick play down the left wing ended with Feeney scoring from a good position. Berwick forced the pace after the break and Duns resorted to defensive tactics to defend their lead. Rangers finally found the net with 15 minutes remaining when Redfearn hit home a superb long-range effort after which a frantic effort was made to draw level. However, their energy was wasted as the final whistle blew on their cup season, leaving only the league, along with friendlies, to fill the remaining dates.


2. After being unable to arrange a Border League match with Vale of Leithen, due to their involvement in the Border Cup Final against Coldstream, friends of old, the Newcastle-based North Eastern Railway team filled the void. The railwaymen had already visited the town this season and beaten the reserves 7-1. This time, against much stronger Rangers eleven, they were beaten 5-1 despite being a goal ahead at the interval. The visitors were the nippier lot in the first half and took the lead through Elliot. Matters, however, were different after the break as Rangers took control. A pass by Redfearn let John Patterson through to equalise before Redfearn scored from a timely Middlemiss centre. Drysdale scored from a penalty, before William Patterson rushed in to apply the finishing touch to Wakenshaw's rebound and, after a neat piece of work, Richardson completed the scoring.

9. The Border League meeting between Rangers and Selkirk on April 9th intensified the championship battle. Selkirk were the only team to have completed their fixtures after they visited Berwick and, although defeated 5-2, it still left them a point clear at the top. However, nearest rivals Vale of Leithen were now breathing down their necks after beating Duns, and with two games still to play they could easily beat the Soutars' total. Rangers opened against Selkirk at a fast pace and by half-time held a two-goal advantage. Redfearn opened the scoring with a low right-footed shot following a corner, and a few minutes later, from another corner, he added a second. Redfearn then turned provider when William Patterson met his cross for number three, and Rangers looked on easy street. Selkirk began to press as the interval approached and Johnston reduced the score with a fine shot from a left-wing cross. The interval rest suited the Soutars best as they reopened the game at a rousing pace and forced Drysdale into conceding a penalty. S. Douglas took the spot kick but missed; however, as Poulton had not stood exactly on his line, the kick had to be retaken. Davidson took the kick on this occasion and made no mistake. With only a goal difference between the sides end-to-end football followed until a right-wing move by the Rangers, from which Redfearn completed his hat trick, ended the contest. From then on there was only one team in it and Richardson made it game over with only a few minutes remaining.

14. An exhibition friendly with the Rangers of Glasgow was held on Thursday April 14th for the grand opening of the new pavilion recently erected at the Union Park. Due to the unavailability of the Mayor, Mr. Ralph Thomson J. P. carried out the opening ceremony in front of a large and enthusiastic crowd, swelled by football supporters brought in by special excursion from Kelso, Coldstream and Duns. The Glasgow giants fielded one of their strongest sides for the occasion with William Hogg, of Sunderland fame, whom the club had specifically asked for, included in the eleven to help provide a good draw. Berwick, on the other hand, fielded three guest players with William Vallance of Duns playing alongside Andrew Watson of Swinton and Lennie Melrose of Coldstream. The gate, which was more than 2000 spectators, raised over £22. It was one of the largest ever taken and, with expenses less than previous matches, the club benefited by quite a considerable amount. As the teams took to the field for the five o'clock kick-off, they were greeted with great applause. The game itself opened quietly, however, the visitors soon showed their quality, and after a fine piece of individual work, Bennett beat Poulton with a thunderous 30-yard shot. The Glasgow side then settled down and played exhibition football. Following an unproductive corner, Galt scored with a terrific shot. Reid followed this up a few minutes later by running in and beating Poulton from close range. Shortly before the interval, Gordon broke clean through the home defence and, for the fourth time, Poulton, who had run out in the vain hope of clearing, was beaten. The second half was only a few minutes old when Law needlessly handled to give Berwick a penalty. Haswell was entrusted with the kick and scored amid wild applause from the home supporters. The visitors continued with their polished performance and played Berwick to a near standstill. Poulton saved brilliantly from Gordon but failed to hold the ball and Reid scored number five from the rebound. With time running, out Gordon added a late sixth to complete the rout.

With only three Saturdays of the season remaining, it looked certain that the Border League programme would end unfinished. In order to fulfil their remaining fixtures, Berwick Rangers and Vale of Leithen put a proposition before the Border League Committee to allow the clubs to meet on neutral ground at Kelso in a double header for the four points; however, the idea was objected to on a matter of principle.

23. Berwick Rangers travelled to Galashiels for their last remaining League fixture. Within a minute of the start, Malcolm put the home side ahead. Rangers then pressed, but Gala turned defence quickly into attack when, from Nicoll's clearance, Mabon ran down the left and sent over a perfect cross for Roberts score. Early in the second half, Mack conceded a penalty that enabled Redfearn to reduce the lead. However, Gala then took control and missed chance after chance before Roberts headed home from a free kick to seal the points and leapfrog Rangers in the table.

Selkirk were awarded the Paul Challenge Shield as Champions of the Border League due to having completed their full fixture list whereas Vale of Leithen had failed to complete their two remaining matches against Berwick Rangers, despite both clubs still having the possibility of topping the table. It was the second season running that Rangers had failed to complete their matches against the Innerleithen club and with this in mind, it looked highly unlikely that the club would enter the competition next season.