2020/21: Behind Closed Doors


Date C V Opposition Res Pos Att i
Oct 10 LL H Vale of Leithen W 1-0 7 bcd
13 LL A Spartans L 0-1 9 bcd
17 LL A Caledonian Braves W 1-0 8 bcd
24 LL H East Kilbride L 0-1 9 bcd
27 LL H Edinburgh University W 3-1 8 bcd
31 LL A BSC Glasgow D 0-0 8 bcd
Nov 7 LL A Bo'ness United L 1-2 9 bcd
10 LL H University of Stirling W 3-2 8 bcd
14 LL H East Stirlingshire L 1-3 9 bcd
21 SRC 2 A Upper Annandale W 4-1 bcd
24 LL A Civil Service Strollers L 0-1 9 bcd
28 LL A Gretna 2008 L 0-1 11 bcd
Dec 5 LL H Kelty Hearts L 0-4 11 bcd
12 SC P2 A Dunipace W 3-1 bcd
19 LL A Cumbernauld Colts W 2-0 11 bcd
26 SC 1 H Stirling Albion L 0-3 bcd
Date C V Opposition Res Pos Att i
H Bo'ness United NP
A Bonnyrigg Rose NP
H Bonnyrigg Rose NP
H BSC Glasgow NP
H Caledonian Braves NP
H Civil Service Strollers NP
H Cumbernauld Colts NP
H Dalbeattie Star NP
A Dalbeattie Star NP
A East Kilbride NP
A East Stirlingshire NP
A Edinburgh University NP
H Gala Fairydean Rovers NP
A Gala Fairydean Rovers NP
H Gretna 2008 NP
A Kelty Hearts NP
H The Spartans NP
A University of Stirling NP
A Vale of Leithen NP
Scottish Lowland Football League
Home Away
    Pld W D L F A W D L F A GD Pts PPG
1 Kelty Hearts 13 6 0 1 24 1 6 0 0 16 3 36 36 2.77
2 East Kilbride 12 5 1 0 18 3 4 1 1 14 3 26 29 2.42
3 Bonnyrigg Rose 12 6 1 0 18 2 3 1 1 11 4 23 29 2.42
4 BSC Glasgow 13 6 1 0 19 6 3 2 1 19 10 22 30 2.31
5 East Stirlingshire 12 3 2 1 10 6 5 0 1 20 6 18 26 2.17
6 Gala Fairydean Rovers 12 4 0 2 13 9 3 1 2 9 11 2 22 1.83
7 Bo'ness United 10 4 2 1 16 9 1 1 1 6 4 9 18 1.80
8 The Spartans 12 3 0 3 11 10 3 0 3 16 12 5 18 1.50
9 University of Stirling 15 4 1 3 20 13 3 0 4 11 12 6 22 1.47
10 Berwick Rangers 13 3 0 3 8 11 2 1 4 4 5 -4 16 1.23
11 Civil Service Strollers 14 3 2 1 6 4 1 3 4 8 12 -2 17 1.21
12 Caledonian Braves 14 2 1 4 16 13 2 0 5 6 15 -6 13 0.93
13 Gretna 2008 11 2 0 2 7 5 1 1 5 8 20 -10 10 0.91
14 Cumbernauld Colts 14 1 1 6 8 16 2 1 3 9 14 -13 11 0.79
15 Dalbeattie Star 10 0 2 3 5 12 1 0 4 7 12 -12 5 0.50
16 Edinburgh University 15 1 0 6 3 29 0 2 6 4 25 -47 5 0.33
17 Vale of Leithen 12 0 0 4 4 20 0 0 8 1 38 -53 0 0.00
No matches played after 5th January 2021. Season brought to a close on 30th March 2021 due to the Covid-19 lockdown restrictions. League table finalised on a points per game basis. Kelty Hearts promoted to the SPFL2 as play-off winners. No club relegated.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

Manager: Ian Little
  A S G A S G A S G
Lewis Barr 2
Jack Cook 4
Sam Daniel 5 3 1
David Ferguson 8 1 1 2
Ryan Finnie 11 2
Ali Forster 5 5 1 2
Dougie Horne 13 2
Mackenzie Lawler 1 2 1
Andrew McNeil 1
Grant Nelson 10 3 1 1 2 1
Dan Purves 5 6 2 1 1
Jo Purves 5 2 1 1
Craig Reid 9 1 1
Jordon Sinclair 7 2 1 1
Calum Smith 13 1 1 2 2
Darren Smith 1
Ewan Smith 13 1 1
Liall Smith 3 1
Kieran Somerville 10 2 1 1 2
John Ward 1 1 1 2
Kevin Waugh 3 2 1 1 1 1
Jack Wright 12 1 1 1 1 1
Number of Players Used: 23

After a late start to the season following government restrictions on sport due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Berwick began their pre-season preparations at Shielfield Park on September 13th with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of East of Scotland side Heriot Watt University. Rangers travelled midweek to Rosewell to take on Whitehill Welfare in their second pre-season game, winning comfortably by three goals to one before a match against near-neighbours Tweedmouth Rangers saw Berwick win 7-0. A visit to Starks Park saw Rangers beaten 4-0 by Raith Rovers before Berwick complete their pre-season friendlies with a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Stenhousemuir at Ochilview Park on October 3rd.

Rangers added much-needed competition to the team's frontline when they signed ex-Raith Rovers player Lewis Allan on a two-year deal. Former Rangers and Dundee midfield player, Grant Nelson also put pen to paper on a one-year deal. Jordan Sinclair, ex-Edinburgh City, Dougie Horne ex-Whitburn, Jo Purves, ex-Edinburgh University, Liall Smith, ex-Vale of Leithen, Craig Reid, ex-Newtongrange Star, and Kieran Somerville, ex-Whitehill Welfare, made up the latest signings, whilst Grant Rose left Shielfield Park for BSC Glasgow.


It was to be a busy start to the 2020/21 campaign with the Lowland League looking to make up for lost time in a month that would see Berwick Rangers in to play no less than six fixtures.

With all matches played behind closed doors due to the Covid-19 restrictions, the club decided to live stream all home matches on the internet.

Internet live streaming platform at Shielfield Park. Teleporter supplied by Ancroft Tractors.

Manager Ian Little strengthened his defensive ranks ahead of the Lowland League opener against Vale of Leithen by capturing free agent centre-back Ryan Finnie. Finnie, who was equally adept playing at right-back, was a product of the Rangers youth system and has been reunited with his former teammate in the Ibrox set-up Grant Nelson. Despite being in his mid-20s, Finnie had plenty of experience in the Scottish Professional Football League, with first-team appearances for Hamilton Academical, Dumbarton, Annan Athletic, Alloa Athletic, Clyde and Queen's Park, while he also enjoyed a spell in Sweden with IFK Östersund.

10. The new-look Berwick Rangers got their League campaign off to the perfect start with a 1-0 home win over Vale of Leithen. Jordan Sinclair's spectacular 30-yard free kick was enough to secure all three points for Berwick, who fielded six debutants in the starting line-up. However, Berwick were thankful early on for goalkeeper Horne when a cross from the Vale right landed at the feet of Ndweni, but his near post effort was turned away by Horne. Berwick's attacking play was promising with Forster, Nelson and Calum Smith consistently linking up down the right-hand side and causing problems for the Vale defence. Both sides were struggling to create any clear openings as both defences stood strong until the final ten minutes of the first half. Berwick once again worked the ball out to the right-hand side where Forster delivered a low cross into the area. Vale's Robertson got the ball caught under his feet and was robbed by Calum Smith, whose left footed shot was tipped over spectacularly by McGinley. It was the first clear chance Berwick had but they were almost caught out on the stroke of half time. Vale's pace up front had posed some problems throughout the first half and they broke from a Berwick corner, releasing Grotlin down the right-hand side. The striker had support and only one defender to beat but opted to shoot, blazing the ball over the bar. The first half ended goalless, but the second sparked into life just minutes. Calum Smith was tripped by Rossi in the middle of the park around 30 yards from goal. Sinclair assessed his options and smashed an incredible strike in off the crossbar. The goal boosted Berwick and they were denied a second minutes later when Calum Smith's shot was stopped by the legs of McGinley. Vale's attempts to go forward were dealt with by the Berwick backline with ease but they had a huge opportunity to pull level with fifteen minutes to go. Berwick were unable to clear their lines and a high cross from the left caught Jo Purves underneath it. The ball landed at the feet of Grotlin, but the forward could not get the ball out from under his feet in time before Purves got back and defended the danger. Both sides tired towards the end but Berwick had chances to add to their lead. Calum Smith headed wide from a corner before substitute Dan Purves shot wide from 12 yards. There was another opening in stoppage time too as Vale pushed forward when debutant Somerville, on for Lewis Allan, broke but his square ball was just out of reach of Calum Smith. Those missed chances would not matter though as Sinclair's rocket was enough to secure the three points.

13. A last-minute header from substitute Cameron Dawson saw an unchanged Berwick side fall to defeat against The Spartans FC in their first away match of the season. It was the home side who arguably edged the first 45 minutes though, with Horne thwarting Murrell from close range on the half-hour mark, only for the offside flag to be raised. The best chance for Berwick, came from a Sinclair free kick, but his effort from 20 yards out was blocked by the wall. As time wound down towards the break, Horne was called into action once again, producing an excellent double save – firstly from a Jones effort and then from Murrell on the rebound. Berwick upped the tempo and created more chances in the second half, with Wright at the heart of most of the output. The home side felt aggrieved when loud calls for a penalty were waved away by the referee and then, in a 15-minute spell from the hour mark, Rangers should have made their pressure count to take the lead. Wright saw himself through on goal only to be denied by an excellent recovering challenge, while just moments later, a deep cross was taken just off his head at the far post. Euan Smith then played Calum Smith through on goal, but his fierce effort was well-saved by the body of the Edinburgh side's trialist goalkeeper Baines, before the striker had the ball in the back of the net, only for it to be ruled out after being judged to have pushed a defender in the back. Berwick's final chance in the spell, and in truth in the match, fell to Allan who, after being played through by Wright, did well to check back on his right foot, only to see his tame shot gathered comfortably by the keeper.

17. Berwick secured their first away win in over a year with a 1-0 victory at Caledonian Braves. Jordan Sinclair's second half free kick was enough to separate the sides, providing the perfect bounce back from the midweek defeat at Spartans. Rangers made three changes from midweek, with Daniel and Somerville in for Jo Purves and Forster while Nelson dropped to the bench with Craig Reid coming in. Both sides were rather off their game in a first half that had plenty of effort but lacked end product and it took until nearly halfway through the half for any kind of chance to materialise. Sinclair's pass to Daniel was loose and pounced upon by Braves' Reid who got to the by-line and crossed into the area to Watson, who was unmarked, but his header was tame and looped harmlessly into the arms of Horne. Berwick were unable to really get out of the blocks for large portions of the half but did eventually get a shot in when Somerville won a free kick 30 yards out only for Sinclair's effort to bounce wide of Marshall's goal. However, the best chance of the half fell to Berwick when Calum Smith collected the ball in his own half and ran at the defence, getting away from McDowall and Sinclair, before crossing to Allan, who twisted and turned but could only fire his shot over the bar. The Braves again tried to break down Berwick's defence, but Jack Smith and Winters were restricted to hopeful efforts from distance that sailed wide. After the break, Berwick stepped up their game and began to exert pressure on the home defence. Good work in midfield gave Somerville the chance to run at Docherty and he crossed low, but Lewis Allan could not make a proper connection. The Braves were still posing some threat from set pieces. A Sinclair free kick was headed back across goal by Forrester, but Berwick were able to clear after a bit of a scramble. It was going to take a moment of quality to break the deadlock and it came with 23 minutes to go. A slack pass in the home midfield was pounced on by Smith and Allan. They released Wright who was brought down from behind by Winters on the edge of the box and Sinclair stepped up and whipped his effort into the bottom right corner of the net. The onus was on the hosts to get back into the game and their best chance came with their own Sinclair free kick. Winters went down on the edge of the area and David Sinclair's free kick was low and to Horne's left but the Berwick keeper got down well and turned it round the post excellently. There was still time for Jordan Sinclair to force a save from Marshall. The midfielder collected the ball 30 yards from goal and drove forward before trying to curl one into the bottom corner, but the keeper made a routine save. The Braves pressed late on but, despite sending McDowall up front and going direct, they were unable to get beyond Reid, Cook and Finnie at the back and the full-time whistle signalled Berwick's first league victory on the road since a win at Edinburgh University last August.

Kieran Somervile in action v East Kilbride 24 Oct 2020

27. With six points from a possible nine, Rangers entertained early league leaders East Kilbride at Shielfield Park, where a late Chris Erskine strike saw ten-man Berwick narrowly defeated. Berwick controlled large periods of the game, but East Kilbride took advantage of Craig Reid's 72nd minute red card with a goal just seven minutes from time. Manager Ian Little made just one change with Dan Purves given his first start of the season in place of Allan who dropped to the bench. Both teams struggled to settle down and create chances for most of the first half. East Kilbride had the first chances of the game in quick succession after twenty minutes of battling in the middle of the park. Somerville had stopped a promising counterattack from the visitors, but the first real chance came from the resulting corner as Horne made the first save of the game from Leighton's header. For a short period, East Kilbride were on top and delivered plenty of dangerous crosses and a Woods' effort on goal was blocked brilliantly by Reid. Berwick's best chance of the half came not long before half-time. East Kilbride's Miller was outpaced by the onrushing Dan Purves, whose near post effort was tipped wide by Brennan. The second half began with Berwick taking control of the game. Calum Smith and Purves' link-up play created plenty of attacks. The best of which came from a Smith flick-on behind the defence that Purves latched onto. A goal seemed certain as Brennan was beaten but the ball agonizingly struck the post and bounced back out. East Kilbride began to threaten again, and Cook was forced bravely to put his head where it hurts three times in fifteen minutes to keep them away from goal. Finnie also put an end to a threatening East Kilbride counterattack during this spell. A great chance came Berwick's way when Euan Smith played an excellent ball out wide to Wright who, after a quick one-two with Daniel, dribbled his way into the opposition box and fired over from close range. After 70 minutes of combative football, tempers began to fray. Reid and East Kilbride's Erskine were booked after an off-the-ball incident that ended with both players on the ground. East Kilbride's Paton was also booked moments later, but it was Berwick that came off worse from the heated spell as Reid was sent off for a reckless challenge immediately after. Berwick opted to keep their shape as best as possible, but East Kilbride sensed opportunity and soon enough they had their winning goal. With 84 minutes on the clock, an unmarked Paton received the ball in the box and knocked it onto Erskine, who took a touch before volleying past a helpless Horne. The remainder of the game was deeply frustrating for Berwick as they struggled to keep possession or create any chances. East Kilbride, on the other hand, were understandably content wasting time until the final whistle blew.

28. Berwick bounced back from their weekend disappointment against East Kilbride with a comfortable victory over basement boys Edinburgh University at Shielfield Park. Nelson had the first sight at goal when he picked the ball up from 25 yards out but blazed over before Wright beat his man and sent a teasing cross which a defender scrambled clear with striker Smith lurking. Somerville found himself with numerous crossing opportunities down the right flank and played a series of teasing balls into the box but could not find anyone to take advantage. However, Somerville turned goalscorer on 33 minutes when he rose highest in the box to direct a Sinclair corner into the net with his head. Despite the students barely threatening Horne, except for one tame effort from Baird when he found himself in space inside the box, Berwick's lead lasted a matter of minutes as Nelson was dispossessed and a low cross came in from the by-line which found Baird, who this time made no mistake and slotted past Horne, to score the Uni's first goal of the season in their fifth match. As time wound down towards the break, it looked as though Rangers were not going to go in with the lead that they deserved. However, that changed in the 44th minute when Wright's front post corner was cleared back to him, and he sent in a looping cross which Calum Smith headed past the keeper. As the second half got underway, Rangers started to create even more chances with Daniel influential down the left. A deep cross just evaded Dan Purves and, in the 52nd minute, Wright found an opening 20 yards out and fired a shot off the base of the post. The hour mark saw Dan Purves and Somerville replaced by Allan and Jo Purves, with Allan immediately in the thick of things but directed his effort from 20 yards past the far post. With 20 minutes to go, Rangers were given the ideal opportunity to make it three from the penalty spot when Nelson was felled in the box after an excellent move. However, Sinclair, dragged his left-footed spot kick wide of the post. Five minutes later, the students felt they had a good shout for a penalty when Daniel lunged in, but the referee believed that the Berwick player got just enough of the ball to deem it a fair challenge. Rangers looked for the all-important third goal to kill the game off. The goal came on 78 minutes, when Nelson's deflected pass found Calum Smith. The striker got the ball under control and fed Allan, who took a touch and fired into the far corner. With ten minutes to go, Sinclair and Calum Smith were replaced by Liall Smith and Darren Smith, with Rangers seeing out that period comfortably to record their third win from five league matches.

Dan Purves in action v Edinburgh University 28 Nov 2020

31. Berwick Rangers played out their first draw of the season at a blustery Indodrill Stadium against BSC Glasgow. Both sides battled the elements throughout the goalless draw, but the wind certainly did not take away the excitement. Rangers made three changes to the side with Forster, Dan Purves and Nelson all dropping to the bench. Reid returned from suspension at the back alongside trialist David Ferguson, while Allan returned up front. BSC came into this game second in the league and having picked up 13 points from a possible 15 and named an unchanged line-up. Both sides played on the front foot early on, but it was Berwick who created the first opening within the first two minutes. Somerville played a ball down the right wing for Allan whose low cross found the feet of Calum Smith. The striker tried to spin and shoot but he couldn't get a clean connection and dragged his shot wide. However, it was BSC who should have taken the lead eleven minutes in when patient play in midfield saw the ball worked into the feet of Hamilton, who played a first-time ball over the head of the Berwick defence to Anderson. The defence stopped as they expected an offside flag that never came but Anderson, with plenty of time, could only smash the ball over the bar. It was a huge let-off for Berwick and they had another one 15 minutes later. A BSC corner from the left was floated to the edge of the area by Hughes for Geggan. The midfielder hit a fantastic volley towards goal but, fortunately Daniel was positioned on the line to clear the shot away. BSC were able to keep the ball better as Berwick battled against the wind and they went close again from distance not long before half time. Hughes lined up a 30-yard free kick, but his curling effort was too high to trouble Horne. The break gave Berwick new impetus, and they began to create more openings. A throw from the left troubled the BSC defence who were unable to clear on the edge of their own area. Euan Smith's strike was blocked but the ball landed at the feet of Allan whose turn was excellent but the connection on the volley skewed his effort wide. BSC were still a danger going forward and they had two chances within a minute. A Daniel foul gave Hughes the chance to deliver. His cross was not dealt with by Berwick and the ball fell to Tierney with his shot deflected wide by Horne. The resulting corner saw Horne miss the ball completely; it landed at the feet of Lyon at the back post, whose shot was deflected into the air, but Tierney's resultant header was saved well by Horne. Berwick were also creating chances as both sides looked for the breakthrough. A long free kick was played on by Calum Smith to Daniel, whose shot was deflected and turned round the near post by Wilson. The resulting corner from Sinclair found Euan Smith, but his shot was deflected wide by Calum Smith. BSC had a good opportunity barely a minute later when Anderson played the ball in behind the defence to Christie, but the forward could only slash his shot way wide. Five minutes later, Horne was called into action again. Good passing play from BSC saw Hamilton unlock the Berwick defence with an excellent pass; he set away Agyeman, but his shot was beaten away by Horne at his near post. BSC continued to press and had an excellent chance with four minutes to go. The lively Agyeman ran at the Berwick defence and had to be taken down on the edge of the area by Finnie. Hamilton stepped up and forced Horne to turn the ball away excellently. BSC had one final chance to win the game in stoppage time as a hopeful cross from the left win was looped into the area and Hamilton was able to meet it, but he could only header it back across goal and wide and the match ended scoreless.


7. A goal from substitute Dan Purves wasn't enough to help Berwick get a point on their travels at Lowland League newcomers Bo'ness United, as the hosts continued their impressive unbeaten run. Manager Ian Little made two changes from the goalless draw against BSC Glasgow, with Nelson replacing the injured Sinclair and Forster coming in ahead of Somerville. Rangers started the game nicely and had a couple of chances in the opening five minutes, with Ferguson seeing a shot blocked after the ball fell to him from a Wright free-kick, while Allan spun well and fired a goal-bound shot that was also blocked a few yards from the line. Horne was called into action for the first time around ten minutes in, getting down well to thwart a Grant shot with his feet after the defence had momentarily switched off when a free-kick on Berwick's right-hand side was taken early, and a few minutes later the keeper punched clear from a free-kick from the opposite flank. Approaching the half hour mark, the home side were awarded a penalty. A ball was floated into the box from the right flank with Forster and his opponent jumping together in what looked like a standard 50/50 aerial challenge. However, as both players ended up on the deck, the referee judged Forster to have fouled his opponent, although the blood spurting from the head of the Berwick defender and a subsequent trip to A&E for stitches around his eye suggested otherwise. After three minutes down injured, Forster was replaced by Somerville before Stevenson sent Horne the wrong way from the spot to put Bo'ness a goal up. Berwick responded well. Good chances fell to Calum Smith, who was denied by an excellent last-ditch tackle from Jacobs just as he was about to pull the trigger, and Nelson, who stung the palms of the goalkeeper from 20 yards out after being teed up by Allan. Euan Smith began spreading the ball out to the flanks to get crossing opportunities into the box. However, on most of these occasions, the balls in could not find the front two, with a cross from Daniel evading the head of Calum Smith and a Wright free kick just passing the head of Finnie on the stroke of half-time. Despite being the better side for much of the first half, the second half became more open, and a streetwise Bo'ness side began to assert their dominance on the game. Reid made a fantastic block to deny the home side a second goal, while Berwick were unlucky not to strike back as Euan Smith and Calum Smith both had chances from successive corners. However, a lapse in midfield saw Bo'ness go two goals up on 59 minutes when a defence-splitting through ball found Anderson, who finished clinically when one-on-one with Horne. The home side could easily have had a third just minutes later, but Nicky Locke blasted over an angled shot from ten yards out. Two goals down, Dan Purves replaced Daniel, and within ten minutes he pulled a goal back when a long ball from Horne was flicked into his path by Allan and he squeezed the ball underneath the onrushing goalkeeper. With 15 minutes to go and game very much on, there was the lack of pressure from Berwick and few clear-cut chances as the home side managed the closing stages expertly, drawing clever fouls and defending resolutely to take all three points.

Lewis Barr in action v University of Stirling 10 Nov 2020

10. A dramatic stoppage time goal by David Ferguson was enough for Berwick Rangers to secure all three points against University of Stirling. Berwick made three changes to the side with the injured Forster was replaced by Somerville; Daniel was replaced by Jo Purves and Dan Purves was rewarded for his goal at Bo'ness with a start ahead of Allan. The visitors were playing off a 4-2 home defeat to Dalbeattie Star the previous week and looked sluggish from the start. They were under pressure from the start when Calum Smith crossed dangerously from the right, forcing Burrows to scramble the ball behind for a corner. Stirling did have goals in their side and showed a glimpse of that danger midway through the first half when Heath drove at the Berwick defence and slipped a ball through for Hall, whose effort smacked the post before the linesman flagged him for offside. Berwick were in control though and finally forced Fry into action on the half-hour. Good work started by Ferguson brought the ball out of defence and fed it to Calum Smith, who did well to beat his man and find Ferguson in the area, whose shot on the turn forced Fry into a smart low save. However, the breakthrough came six minutes later. A long free kick was flicked on by Calum Smith and found its way to Dan Purves on the edge of the area. Purves was alert to it and swept a left footed shot into the bottom corner. It could have been 2-0 before half-time as well. Good work from Wright earned Berwick a corner on the left which Ferguson rose to meet and was desperately unlucky to see his header come back off the crossbar. The half-time break certainly changed the direction of the game entirely. Stirling were far more threatening, and Berwick could not get a hold of the ball. The students were particularly threatening from set pieces with a Jarvis corner from the left going all the way through without a touch. It proved ominous. A Jarvis free kick from the left was headed behind by Reid and the resulting corner from the right by Brown bounced all the way through into the far corner of the net. There appeared to be no touch on the way through either, but the visitors did not care as they were back on level terms. Stirling were piling on the pressure and Berwick were struggling to get the ball out of their own half. Good work again from the wide areas saw McGale send an excellent cross into the area that was headed just over by an unmarked Brown. The pressure finally told on Berwick with 15 minutes to go and it was another set piece. Baird won a corner on the left which Jarvis took. His delivery went to the near post where Penker headed towards goal. His effort was brilliantly saved by Horne, but Baird reacted fastest to turn the ball home. The goal seemed to spur Rangers on though and they nearly equalised with seven minutes to go when a Daniel cross fell to Allan, but he was crowded out before Stirling were able to clear. However, Berwick did level with three minutes left. A spell of heavy pressure led to Reid winning a free kick in Stirling's half. The set piece was delivered by Reid to Calum Smith, who flicked the ball on for Wright to slot home into the bottom corner. There was still time for both sides to get a winner and Stirling had two chances in the final minute of normal time when Heath did well to turn in the area, but his shot was blocked and seconds later a Penker header was well saved by Horne. However, it was Berwick who secured a brilliant comeback after a very difficult second half when a long Somerville throw from the right was flicked on by Calum Smith and, at the third time of asking, Ferguson was on hand at the back post to bundle in the winner.

Players celebrate David Ferguson's late winner v University of Stirling 10 Nov 2020

The club confirmed the signing of centre-back David Ferguson on a deal until the end of the 2020/21 season after the 24-year-old started the past three games as a trialist.

14. A clinical performance saw East Stirlingshire claim the points at Shielfield Park with a 3-1 win. Rangers edged most of the match but still suffered defeat with only a late consolation from Lewis Allan to show for their efforts. It took the visitors only a minute before they took the lead. Sloppy play around the back from Berwick saw Shire capitalise and Dishington was played through to score with a shot which Horne could not prevent from entering the net. A few minutes later, a long throw fell kindly to Wright, who curled an effort back off the bar from 18 yards as Rangers fought back. Keeping up the pressure, Rangers were camped in the opposition half as they tried to find a route through to goal, but the Shire defence held firm. On the half-hour, Young broke through on goal with Rangers sat high and was brought down by Finnie 30 yards out for which the referee gave a deserved yellow. As the half progressed, Rangers forced a series of corners but could not force the ball home. There was a huge let off for Berwick just before half time when Euan Smith slipped in his own half letting Shire clean through on goal, but luckily Reid got back in time to recover the situation. Shire looked certain to double their lead early in the second half when a superb delivery from a Shire corner looked to be headed in at the back post, but Jo Purves kept the header out on the line. Berwick made a triple substitution on the hour with Jo Purves, Nelson and Dan Purves replaced by Allan, Daniel and Barr as Rangers looked to turn the tide. An immediate impact from the substitutes saw Allan play Lewis Barr in on goal, but Shire managed to scramble the ball away. Shire replied and a superb 30-yard first-time low volley from Peggie put the visitors further ahead on 66 minutes. Rangers were unlucky not to reduce Shire's lead when a long throw headed on by Calum Smith was cleared off the line by Dishington with Connelly well beaten. Late in the game, a long ball was brought down by Allan and played through to Barr as he broke into the box, but again he was cut out. Shire went three-up on 81 minutes when Peggie netted his second of the game with a back post header from a looping ball into the box. The visitors were reduced to ten men when Malone was shown his second yellow just before Berwick scored a consolation goal in the final minute when Allan latched on to a poor defensive clearance from Murray and tucked the ball home from his own strike after Connelly had got down to the first effort.

David Ferguson goes close v East Stirlingshire 14 Nov 2020

Manager Ian Little strengthened his options on the left flank with the addition of teenager John Ward. Ward, who signed on amateur terms and was added to the squad for the South Region Challenge Cup tie against Upper Annandale.

21. Despite going a goal down in the second minute against Upper Annandale, a penalty scored by Lewis Allan, a second half brace from Calum Smith, and a further goal from and Jack Wright saw Berwick Rangers safely progress into the third round of the South Region Challenge Cup in a match played at New King Edward Park, Lockerbie (Mid Annandale). Upper Annandale attacked from the start and took a surprise lead in the second minute. A cross from near the left corner flag was played into the centre and the in-rushing Shaw hammered the ball past McNeil from the edge of the 18-yard box. A few minutes later a curling free kick from deep was tipped over by McNeil as the home side continued to attack. Dan Purves twisted and turned his way into a shooting position as Berwick attacked, but his left-footed effort was saved by the feet of the keeper. Rangers began to take control and a great run down the left saw Ward fire a low cross into the box which the keeper did well to gather. Berwick levelled the score on 22 minutes when Annadale conceded a needless penalty when Telfer brought down Wright who was running away from goal just inside area. Allan stepped up to the spot and sent Campbell the wrong way with a shot low to the left. Dan Purves found an opening inside the box on the half-hour and unleashed a left-footed shot into the side netting. Later, Nelson has his head in his hands after meeting a corner with his head but did not make good enough contact to direct it into the back of the net as Rangers kept Annandale on the defensive until half-time. Wright put Rangers into the lead four minutes into the second half with a neat side-footed finish after Ward had paved the way. Calum Smith, who replaced Dan Purves at the interval, put Berwick 3-1 up three minutes later, after collecting a ball from Ward before wrong-footing the keeper. Reid cleared off the line after a diagonal ball was knocked back into the path of Annandale's McAvoy, who directed a shot goalward in a rare home attack. With five minutes remaining, Waugh glances a header just wide at the back post following a corner before Calum Smith grabbed his second and Berwick's fourth with the final kick of the game after getting on the end of a long through ball and beating the keeper from 12 yards out despite the close attention of two defenders.

24. Berwick Rangers lost to a solitary goal against Civil Service Strollers at a rain-drenched Christie Gillies Park in Edinburgh. Rangers edge the first half, but a lack of quality in front of goal for both sides saw the score deadlocked at the interval, but an early goal in the second half saw the Strollers take all three points. The first chance for Berwick saw Wright take a strike from distance, but his effort was deflected and gathered comfortably by the keeper. A great chance fell for Calum Smith a few minutes later when Allan brought the ball down well for Nelson, who played it in behind for Smith, who lashed it into the side netting from close range. On 20 minutes, a defensive lapse saw Berwick force a corner; Waugh swung it to the back post, where Finnie headed it back across the goal, but no one was there to tap home. A good chance then fell for the home side as Faye was played in following a slip from Wright, but he fired over from 12 yards. On the half-hour, Allan got in behind the home defence and pulled a neat ball back from the by-line; Calum Smith controlled the ball well and shot on the turn but placed the ball just wide. Another chance for Rangers saw Nelson take a shot from 20 yards, but it was deflected just past the post. Just before half-time, Faye beat the Berwick offside trap and played it back for Dunn on the edge of the area, but his shot is deflected over, and the corner comes to nothing, and the first half ended goalless. Rangers looked to have a good chance from an early second half free kick, but Waugh blasted it into the wall. However, the home side took the lead against the run of play on 54 minutes when a cross from the right was met with a free header from Henderson. As Rangers tried to claw their way back into the game, two corners in a row from opposite flanks were played into the box, but no one was there to apply the finishing touch. The continuing rainfall was hampering play as both sides battled hard to play decent football on the sodden ground and there was no further action of note.

28. Rangers suffered a second single goal defeat in a week when they visited Gretna 2008 at Ryedale Park. An early long throw from Somerville was met by Calum Smith, but his flick on is gathered by the keeper. Great ball from Reid found Allan down the right, he picks out Calum Smith in the centre of the box, but he shot straight at the keeper. Strong running from Lawler forces Berwick's second corner of the game. The corner bounces around the box before falling to Euan Smith, who shoots from 20 yards, but it goes just wide of the post. Chance at the other end saw Cairnie's effort from 25 yards go just over the top. Another chance for Berwick saw Allan get on the end of a flick on from Calum Smith, but his effort was tame and straight at the keeper. Gretna came more into the game as the half went on and a mistake by the Berwick defence let O'Sullivan in and his cross from the right fell to McGrattan who shot narrowly wide. Rangers were forced into an early substitution when Nelson pulled a hamstring and was replaced by Forster. Worse was to follow when an injury forced Waugh to be replaced by Liall Smith at the interval. Gretna took the lead on 50 minutes when a cross from the left was hit home by Smales, who was unmarked and on the edge of the six-yard box. Berwick had a chance to get back level immediately when the ball was played through to Calum Smith in the box, but his shot was blocked and went behind for a corner. Gretna nearly doubled their lead a few minutes later, but Horne made a fantastic save and later saved a penalty. On 70 minutes, Berwick were harshly penalised when Somerville was judged to have fouled Hynes just inside the area. McGrattan stepped up to take the spot kick, but Horne saved with his legs and Somerville acted quickest to head the rebound behind for a corner. A Gretna free kick from right on the edge of the box whistles just over the top of the crossbar as the home side kept up the pressure. Berwick broke clear and Allan flicked on a cross to Liall Smith, but he fell just as he's about to shoot and the chance was gone. Wright whipped in a corner, which was half cleared and fell to Euan Smith. Smith worked it out to Dan Purves on the right-hand side of the area who hit a good effort at goal, but unfortunately it hit Somerville and deflected just wide. In the last few minutes, Horne made another great save from a long-range Gretna effort range before Euan Smith had an effort blocked from the edge of the box.


5. Nine-man Berwick Rangers suffered a heavy defeat against Kelty Hearts. A brace for Nathan Austin, a great strike from Dylan Easton and an unfortunate own goal gifted Kelty all three points. A debatable red card for Ryan Finnie after just 20 seconds, followed by Jack Wright's dismissal just before half-time, hindered Rangers' chances to take anything from the game. Rangers were at a disadvantage from start. A long clearance just seconds after kick-off looped over Berwick's last man Finnie and was met by the onrushing Austin. Before Austin could take a second touch, he hit the deck with Finnie in pursuit. After a quick look toward his linesman, the referee made up his mind and gave Finnie, who protested his innocence all the way to the changing room – his marching orders. There was relief after Dylan Easton's resulting free kick was cleared after striking the wall, but frustration grew again when Jo Purves was given an early booking for a very weak foul minutes later. The outnumbered Rangers remaining on the pitch responded to Finnie's sending off well but Kelty's dominance in possession was quickly turning into dangerous attacks. A strong Philp shot was kept out by a Ferguson block before a great cross found Anderson, who leapt above Jo Purves to guide his header toward goal, but luckily Horne managed to stretch across the face of his goal to tip the ball over the crossbar. Kelty took the lead on 24 minutes when a diagonal ball into Berwick's box wasn't dealt with first time by Jo Purves. Anderson pounced on the error and headed the ball through to Austin, who let the ball run across his body before coolly finishing past Horne and two defenders on the line. The rain began to pour as Kelty missed a chance to go two up on the half-hour. Easton collected the ball 35 yards from goal before unleashing a wild effort with that flew high and wide. However, it wouldn't take long for Easton to get his goal. Just moments later, Easton picked the ball up on the left wing, cut inside, and brushed past Dan Purves before fired a fierce effort into the bottom corner to double the visitors lead. Relentless waves of attacks from Kelty kept coming, but the first knock came for Anderson, who took his time getting back to his feet, after being caught by Wright, who was booked for his late tackle. Just before half-time, matters got worse for Berwick. The referee issued Wright with a quick second yellow card for simulation inside his own half, despite the midfielder not appealing for a free kick after falling to the ground and Rangers started the second half two goals down and two players short. Rangers changed formation for the second half, with Kevin Waugh replacing Jo Purves, but it did not stop Kelty's attacks from coming. The first real attempt of the half came in the 50th minute when Higginbotham was neatly laid off by Easton and his powerful, out-swinging effort was parried wide by Horne. However, Horne was helpless for Kelty's next attempt on goal. A quick turn on the edge of the penalty area from Austin seemed to be dealt with by Somerville, until the ball bounced awkwardly off the defender's boot. The ball kindly fell back into the path of Austin, who unleashed a fast shot through Horne's legs from very close range. Despite their best efforts, Berwick could not find a way through Kelty's imposing defence and were soon punished again. Ferguson's attempt to clear a dangerous cross into the box from Anderson ended up with the ball rolling into the bottom corner of his own net. Thankfully for Rangers, it didn't hit five. Grant Nelson was harshly penalised for a fair challenge on Higginbotham just 20 yards from Berwick's goal, but Higginbotham's deflected effort from the free kick was saved by Horne. The final quarter of the game lacked chances from both teams. Kelty stretched Berwick's back four and midfield three by placing full-backs and wingers on each touchline, but they struggled to create any clear-cut chances for themselves. Berwick, meanwhile, struggled to create another substantial attack with the nine remaining players holding off Kelty's eleven for the last 20 minutes.

Jack Wright in action v Kelty Hearts 5 Dec 2020

The latest club accounts for the year June 2019 to May 2020 were published at Companies House ahead of the club's Annual General Meeting (AGM) in January. The accounts show a profit of £1,489, which broke many years of loss-making. The Board of Directors were happy with this but stressed that there were still many challenges ahead. When the Board assumed their roles in January 2020, a loss was forecast in the region of £60,000, which would've placed the club perilously close to being 'in the red'. Then, the COVID-19 pandemic came along, placing many businesses of all sizes into difficulty. Unable to host fans on matchdays, both through the turnstiles and in hospitality, the uncertainty had made it very difficult to predict what matchday income there would be. In addition to that, the club had also budgeted for considerably less from the Supporters Club this year due to the fact Berwick Bandits Speedway were unable to run throughout 2020, while, unrelated to COVID-19, there will also be a significant reduction in the parachute payment received by the club from the SPFL (£40k – 2019/20; £20k – 2020/21; £0 – 2021/22). These are just a couple of significant issues facing the club in this financial year. Although the club has posted a profit this year, its financial model remains inherently loss-making. Nevertheless, the Board of Directors were unanimous in continuing to work hard behind the scenes to improve the financial model and give the club long-term stability, while putting together a competitive squad.

12. Berwick Rangers came from behind to win 3-1 against Dunipace in the second preliminary round of the Scottish Cup at Westfield Park and book their place in the first-round proper. Berwick started slightly the better side with Dunipace using the offside trap well. Lewis Allan was hauled down in a central position 30 yards out. A nice routine from the free kick saw Euan Smith play it short and Calum Smith sent a looping first-time pass over the top, but the Dunipace defenders held their line to catch the 'Gers offside again. Dunipace got the ball down in midfield and Craig attempted a defence-splitter over the top, but Horne was aware of the threat and rushed out to collect. Forster launched a pass down the line for Calum Smith to chase, but Kane was quick to clear the danger. Craig has another decent chance when a cross was deflected into his path inside the Berwick penalty area, but he scuffed his effort and Horne cleared. Allan made a driving run and saw his shot blocked as Berwick began to assert a bit of control with some lovely passing football. Somerville aimed for Wright at the far post, but the cross was cut out by McCroary. However, Dunipace took the lead on 28 minutes. Berwick were not alert following a free kick and the ball was worked into the box where it was poked past Horne by Davidson. Berwick were straight on the attack after conceding and forced a series of corners. The first corner came to nothing, but shortly after, Kane, the Dunipace keeper made an outstanding stop to tip a header away for a corner. Rangers levelled matters on 31 minutes when a superb late run and diving header by Nelson put Somerville's cross into the back of the net. Just before the interval, Finnie was unable to continue due to an injury and was replaced by Waugh in the Berwick back line. Berwick got the second half under way and Nelson fired an effort towards goal from 20 yards, but it was comfortably stopped by Kane. A chance fell to Wright inside the Dunipace box, but he hooked the ball over the bar. On 55 minutes, Calum Smith was brought down on the edge of the Dunipace penalty area and won a free kick in a dangerous position and Waugh demonstrated the quality of his left peg with a superb shot into the far corner of the net. Five minutes later, Allan was played through on goal and made no mistake, slamming his finish into the far corner to put Berwick 3-1 ahead. The game then hit a slow patch, the high tempo of the first half perhaps impacting match quality in the later stages. Somerville showed Fergus a clean set of heels but the delivery after his burst down the line was poor and it was cleared away. Into the last ten minutes, Berwick were holding firm at the back, but Dunipace were creating more of the chances with some decent crosses from the right. Ferguson surged forward and sent in a low long-range strike, but Kane was equal to it. At the other end Horne palmed away a strong shot and McCroary blazed the rebound just over. The home side continued to press and forced a couple of corners, but Berwick look unmoved by it and continue to break away on the counter before time ran out and Rangers advanced deservedly into the next round.

19. Two first half goals from Grant Nelson and Lewis Allan were enough for Berwick to pick up all three points against Cumbernauld Colts at the Broadwood Stadium. Berwick made two changes to the starting line-up from the 3-1 Scottish Cup win at Dunipace with Waugh and Sinclair replacing Finnie and Wright. Berwick started the game fastest and had a huge opportunity within the first two minutes. Good work down the right from Somerville won a corner which Sinclair took. The initial delivery was only half cleared by McLaren back to Sinclair who drilled a low half-volley across goal but Somerville at the far post could not react quickly enough to get a good strike on goal. The warning had been given to Colts and they were behind after six minutes. Berwick broke quickly from a Colts attack. Calum Smith and Euan Smith held the ball up long enough for support to arrive from Sinclair, who played a wonderful through ball for Nelson to take in his stride and he slotted the ball underneath Grier. The Colts struggled to really trouble the Berwick defence and were again undone on 24 minutes when Waugh brought the ball out of defence and played in Ward down the left. Wards cut back was inch-perfect for Lewis Allan to run onto and stroke home past Grier. The home side could have been three down less than a minute later. Somerville charged down a pass which fell to Allan. His pass for Calum Smith forced the striker slightly wide but he still forced Grier into a save. Smith then had another golden opportunity to make it three just after the half hour mark. Allan was a nuisance down the left and his low ball found Smith in space in the area, but his effort was tame and straight at Grier. The Colts made a double change at the interval with Foy and Mortimer replacing Davidson and MacPherson and it nearly paid dividends immediately. Berwick were unable to clear properly, and Davidson's cross was turned goal wards by Team, but it was straight at Horne, who saved easily. The urgency was certainly there from Colts in the second half, but Rangers were still a threat going forward with Somerville heading just wide from a Sinclair corner. The Colts continued to press, but the Berwick defence stood firm. Team looked the most threatening for the hosts and route one football got him in behind the defence just before the hour mark, but he elected to chip from range rather than use the support that was arriving, and Horne was never troubled. The Colts then had two shouts for a penalty ignored within a minute. First, a low ball into the box saw Ferguson and Team come together challenging for it but the referee decided that there was nothing in it before Team's shot clearly struck a hand in the box but, again, the referee was unmoved. Berwick were still causing the Colts' defence problems, however. Calum Smith's dogged pressing won the ball back in the final third with his cross going to Euan Smith who laid it to Nelson, but his shot was high and wide. The resulting goal kick saw the ball end up running through for Team, but his shot was easy for Horne again. The game petered out for the last 20 minutes as Berwick held the Colts at arm's length to secure all three points.

Lewis Allan in Scottish Cup action v Stirling Albion 26 Dec 2020

26. Two quick goals in the first half and one early in the second earned Stirling Albion their place in the second round of the Scottish Cup with a deserved 3-0 win over Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park. The visitors made the most of having the slope and wind in their favour and produced a dominant first half performance. The first big chance of the game fell to Stirling Albion when Ryan met a cross with a diving header, the ball flashing just past Horne's far post. Finnie held the Berwick back line well, which remained high up the pitch to intercept any attempted counterattacks as Rangers started competitively but struggling to create anything against a stern Stirling defence. Byrne received the ball from a throw-in and lobbed it into the box. It was headed back out then put back in and Leitch looped a header just over Horne's crossbar. Roberts had the ball in the net after rolling it between Horne's legs, but the defensive line was high enough to have caught the winger offside. Berwick launched a counterattack when Somerville latched onto the ball after a challenge on Callum Smith, but his attempted cross was a bit too deep, and it floated over the back post. Stirling took the lead on 16 minutes when the ball was laid off to Roberts on the edge of the box and he hit a superb left-footed effort into the top left-hand corner. Four minutes later Berwick concede a poor goal as El Zubaidi played a ball through from deep and Leitch left it for Byrne to latch onto and slot past Horne. Another chance fell for Byrne, but he headed a cross straight into the arms of Horne. At the other end, Nelson was played through on goal, but he dragged the ball wide after cutting inside a defender. The match then settled somewhat as both sides battle the windy conditions as well as each other with Stirling happy to keep possession where possible to protect their two-goal lead. Early in the second half, Ferguson's poor touch in his own box gave Leitch a good chance, but he snatched at it and kicked it over the bar. Berwick looking a wee bit sharper going forward, but still struggled to find a final ball. A lovely, chipped pass from Leitch had to be cleared by the Berwick defence with the in-rushing Ryan bearing down on Horne's goal. However, the defence could not stop Ryan a minute later when he cut in from the right and fired in a 20-yarder past Horne. Leitch then broke into the Berwick box and looked to have been brought down. The referee took a while to decide and eventually awarded a free kick for a dive. Horne had to be alert on the hour mark to push another 20-yarder wide of the post and a minute later he got down well to tip a Mackin shot around the post for a corner. Neat build-up from Berwick saw Sinclair play in a killer cross, but it caught Allan off guard and Currie collected. With time fast running out, Allan turned neatly on the edge of the box, but his strike was directly at Currie.


The rearranged Lowland League game to played on Saturday January 9th, between Berwick Rangers and BSC Glasgow was postponed due to snow on top of a hard frost and the next scheduled fixture was to be the Border Derby with Gala Fairydean Rovers at Netherdale on Tuesday January 12th.

All professional Scottish leagues below the Championship in the SPFL was suspended on January 11th for an initial three weeks. However, with hospitalisations still increasing in the UK more than a week after the suspension, it was safe to assume that the pause would continue beyond the three weeks.

The Board of Directors were wholly supportive of the Scottish FA's decision to halt play. Although the players and management team, had felt safe in all the grounds visited so far this season, the dangerous acceleration in cases in the lead up to the pause meant that action had to be taken. In fact, on the evening of January 7 – a day after Dalbeattie Star's call for the Lowland League to be suspended – Berwick Rangers communicated concerns about the continuation of play to the Lowland League committee. The players and the management team were back on furlough as they were last spring, and no longer training.

Moving forward, if the Lowland League got back underway before or around the beginning of March, there was hope that a full schedule of fixtures can be completed. If the break continued into mid-March and beyond, it would pose some difficulties, as there was a deadline for when the Promotion/Relegation Play-off needs to be played by. However, the Berwick Rangers were adamant that there should be no repeat of what happened last season to Kelty Hearts, who won the Lowland League but were denied the opportunity to compete in the end of season play-offs.


With time on their hands, Berwick Rangers started their preparation for the 2021/22 Lowland League campaign and beyond at a rapid pace as Ian Little and his management team look to enter a new campaign on a solid footing. Quartet Jordan Sinclair, David Ferguson, Jack Cook and Craig Reid re-signed on deals until summer 2023. Manager Ian Little continued by tying down two bright prospects, John Ward and Ciaran Heeps, until Summer 2022. Four more players put pen to paper on contract extensions, with no less than 10 players now committed to playing for Berwick Rangers in the coming season. Lewis Barr, and Dougie Horne also agreed renewed terms and join Jack Wright and Lewis Allan, who signed two-year deals when joining the club in 2020, to round off the count into double figures.


Ian Little secured the signing off Scott-Taylor Mackenzie from Gala Fairydean Rovers, who agreed a two-year deal on a pre-contract agreement. Duo Kieran Somerville and Grant Nelson penned contract extensions, with both committing to playing at Shielfield Park until summer 2023, along with versatile forward Sean Stewart, who signed from Penicuik Athletic on a one-year deal. Players leaving the club, albeit on loan until the end of the season, saw Ryan Finnie joining Cowdenbeath, goalkeeper Andy McNeil returned to his former club Airdrieonians, and Calum Smith joining Arbroath. Kevin Waugh and Euan Smith swapped Shielfield Park for Ainslie Park after signing on the dotted line for Lowland League rivals The Spartans, while Liall Smith joined Newtongrange Star. Jo Purves signed a pre-contract agreement with Dunbar United, but his twin brother Dan agreed terms on a new two-year deal to remain at Berwick.

On March 30th, it was confirmed by the Lowland League that the 2020/21 campaign had officially ended after considering of the views of its member clubs. Having consulted all Lowland League clubs, Berwick Rangers were part of the nine outfits who supported the recommendation for finalising the league on a Points Per Game (PPG) basis. While three sides expressed a preference for the season to be declared null and void, the support in favour of a PPG finalisation constituted a majority and accordingly the final league table was updated. The outcome saw Rangers jump one place up into 10th ahead of Civil Service Strollers, with Kelty Hearts confirmed as the league's champions for a second consecutive season.

Berwick Rangers voted in favour of Points Per Game primarily to uphold the integrity of the game in relation to enabling the league's champions to participate in SPFL play-offs, a right was previously denied to the champions in 2019/20, and which the club was keen to ensure remained a one-off occasion. Additionally, this resolution was seen as the most cost-effective for Berwick Rangers, who did not see weekly PCR testing for Covid-19 as a viable additional expenditure between now and the end of the season. Further, the continued risk of any additional stoppages to competition and inability to guarantee an end of season in any case created additional reason to get behind a motion which would finalise the season now. The Lowland League entered discussions with the Scottish FA, SPFL and Scottish Highland Football League with regards to potential dates for the Pyramid Play-Off competition. Elsewhere it had been outlined that there were several factors, including the agreed conclusion of other competitions, until any league relegation could be confirmed.