1905/06: National Identity


Date C V Opposition Res i
Aug 26 EQC 1 H Highland Light Infantry W 4-1
Sep 2 SQC 1 A West Calder Swifts D 3-3
9 SQC 1R H West Calder Swifts W 2-1
16 SQC 2 H Bo'ness L 1-2
23 EQC 2 H Edinburgh Adventurers D 1-1
30 EQC 2R H Edinburgh Adventurers W 2-1
Oct 7 EQC SF H Broxburn L 3-5
14 KC 1 H Royal Garrison Artillery W 6-3
21 F H Broxburn Shamrock W 3-2
28 F H Kelso United W 10-1
Nov 4 F H Hamilton Academical D 2-2
11 EL H Edinburgh Adventurers W 6-2
18 KC 2 H Bo'ness L 2-4
Dec 2 F H Duns W 7-1
9 EL H Cowdenbeath A W 3-1
16 F A Duns W 4-2
23 EL H Heart of Midlothian A D 3-3
25 F H Hibernian XI L 3-6
30 F H Partick Thistle A L 1-3
Date C V Opposition Res i
Jan 1 F H St Bernard's W 3-0
2 F H Falkirk Juniors D 4-4
6 EL A Heart of Midlothian A L 1-6
20 F H Ashington L 1-2
27 EL H Broxburn Athletic W 4-2
Feb 17 F A Kelso D 3-3
24 F H Morpeth Harriers W 5-3
Mar 3 F H Hamilton Garrison W 7-0
10 F H Heart of Midlothian A L 2-3
24 ECC F N Selkirk W 3-1
Apr 7 EL A Cowdenbeath A D 2-2
16 F H Dennistoun Casuals W 5-1
21 ECC FR N Selkirk W 2-1
28 EL H Edinburgh Adventurers L 1-2
May 5 EL H Broxburn Athletic W 3-2

Eastern League

Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Heart of Midlothian A 8 4 0 0 18 2 2 1 1 9 5 13
2 Berwick Rangers 8 3 1 0 16 8 1 1 2 7 12 10
3 Broxburn Athletic 7 3 0 1 11 4 0 0 3 3 8 6
4 Cowdenbeath A 7 2 1 1 5 4 0 0 3 2 10 5
5 Edinburgh Adventurers 6 1 0 1 2 6 0 0 4 3 17 2
Edinburgh Adventurers did not complete their fixtures.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

  A G   A G   A G   A G   A G   A G
David Allan 4 1 3 2
George Blythe 4 2 4 1 1 1 3 8 2
William Brown 8 2 2 2 13
Stephen Bruce 1 4 1 3 5
Harry Burgon 4 1 1 1
Thomas Burn 2 1 2 1 1 2
Alexander Dixon 1 1
Jack Drysdale 5 3 4 1 2 3 3 2 8 7
Roger Goldie 2
Alex Hope 7 2 1 2 1 1 3 1 14 8
Eddie Hope 2 1 1 1 3 1
John Hope 8 2 4 2 1 2 3 14 3
William Hope 8 2 2 2 1 3 13
William Jones 5 2 2 2 9 6
Patrick Kelly 3 2 3
James Laidlaw 1
Adam Miller 3 2 1 3 2 2 3 3
John O'Donnell 1
George I Patterson 1 2
George Patterson 8 2 2 1 12 1
Robert Robertson 1 1
Tom Roughead 8 2 1 2 1 1 3 14 10
John Scobie 8 3 4 3 2 1 2 3 1 15 5
Tommy Smith 1 1
Andrew Weatherhead 8 4 4 1 2 1 1 3 13 8
Own goal 1 1
Number of players used:

After their mean treatment at the hands of both the Northumberland and Northern Alliance leagues due to the town's geographical location, Berwick Rangers crossed the border into Scotland, in a footballing sense at least. At a meeting held on Thursday 10th August 1905, Rangers were successful in their application for admission to the East of Scotland Football Association and with it became an affiliated member of the Scottish Football Association.

With their roots now firmly in Scottish football, English football and membership of the Northumberland FA was promptly terminated. An application was made and accepted for entry to the Eastern League. This success placed Berwick Rangers in a much better class of competition than they had ever been before with the likes of Heart of Midlothian A, Cowdenbeath A, Edinburgh Adventurers and Broxburn Athletic taking part.

The involvement in organised Scottish football by Berwick Rangers brought about the dissolution of the Tweedside Albion Football Club, who felt that they could not hope to attract support in the face of more Rangers success. A new club, Berwick Volunteer Artillery Football Club, was formed and took over the tenancy of the Shielfield football ground.


26. Berwick Rangers opened their first season in Scottish football in round one of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup with a 4-1 win against the Edinburgh Castle based Highland Light Infantry at the Union Park on 26th August. Scobie opened the scoring, albeit against the run of play, for the Rangers. A well-taken free kick by Lambie levelled the score and the teams crossed over at 1-1. In the second half, with the wind and rain at their backs, Berwick did most of the pressing. Weatherhead put them ahead again when he tricked the Highlander's right-back before nutmegging the keeper. Alex Hope extended the lead when he placed a beauty into the top corner of the net after intercepting a hastily hit clearance twenty-yards out, and the same player put the result beyond doubt just before time with a close-range effort.


2. Berwick Rangers left on the 11 o'clock train for a visit to West Calder Swifts in the first round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. The home side were fully expected to win and played a physical game from the start. Rangers, however, had a different idea. They held their ground before taking a surprise lead on the half-hour mark when Blythe broke away before squaring for Drysdale to hammer home. Five minutes later, however, Allan held a long-range shot, but he was judged by the referee, after the inspection of footprints in the mud, to have stepped over his line after being rushed by the Calder forwards and an equaliser was given. The Swifts started the second half with renewed determination but, against the run of play, Scobie put Rangers back in the lead with a superb solo effort before Drysdale increased it with an equally well-struck shot. Berwick held the Swifts at bay until the final quarter when Allan was rushed again, and the ball dropped into the net and, with time fast running out, the home side drew level with the easiest of chances when a forward was left unmarked at the back post.

9. The replay at the Union Park was again played with a physical nature, but this time it was both on and off the field of play. The visitors drew first blood from a free kick in the 20th minute when Willie Hope attempted to head clear but missed, catching Allan completely off his guard, and the keeper fumbled the ball into his own net. Parity was soon restored when Blythe was upended just outside the penalty box and superbly taken free kick by Alex Hope hit the back of the net. Rangers started the second half in style when Miller scored with a solo effort in which he tricked his way past two defenders before placing the ball into the net. Rangers were reduced to ten men when Alex Hope was asked to leave the field following a crunching tackle and Berwick were driven back into their own half by the visiting attack. Blythe, who took Hope's place at the back, conceded a penalty but, to the delight of the home crowd, it went yards wide. However, a few minutes later, Tom Roughead gave away a second spot-kick after knocking Pryde off the ball. Allan deflected the kick before rushing out to clear the danger. Pryde, the visitor's inside-right, who had been playing an exceedingly dirty game, was ordered off for fouling Roughead. On leaving the field, he lashed out twice at Roughead. Roughead promptly "put him out" and in consequence got his marching orders too! The crowd then broke in, but order was quickly restored, and the remaining two minutes of the game were played with Rangers progressing to the next round with a "hard-fought" 2-1 victory.

16. Berwick Rangers tried their level best, but were beaten by a better team, when they faced current SFA Qualifying Cup holders, Bo'ness, in the second round of competition. After a goalless first half, that fairly reflected the state of play, Rangers started the second half brightly with Drysdale hitting the side netting in the opening minute. Bo'ness soon hit back and in the 50th minute took the lead when Willie Hope, who was nursing an injury picked up in the first half, attempted to clear a through ball with his injured foot. He missed completely and Smith, getting possession, gave his team the lead. Berwick were reduced to ten men when Hope limped off the field, and it came as no surprise when Ballantyne scored a second to give Bo'ness a comfortable lead. Miller scored a late consolation goal for Berwick, catching the keeper unaware to head home a Roughead free kick.

23. Berwick Rangers faced another stiff home encounter, this time in the second round of the ESFA Qualifying Cup, against Edinburgh Adventurers, who had given up home advantage in the hope of a better gate at Tweedmouth. With both Alex Hope and Tom Roughead suspended for a month, and Willie Hope out injured, Rangers were up against it from the start. The visitors had things very much their own way in the first half but only found the net once for all their effort when Dick beat Allan with a rasping shot. A much-improved performance by Berwick at the start of the second half led to an equaliser when a long ball from John Hope found Blythe out on the wing, and his pinpoint cross gave Miller the finishing touch. However, it was not long until the Adventurers regained control and subjected the home goal to a severe bombardment, but Rangers managed the odd sortie into opposition territory and held on for a draw.

30. As the Adventurers had given up home advantage, the replay was played at the Union Park. The game presented a fine contrast to that of the previous week with Rangers fully deserving a 2-1 win after having the best of play throughout. A Bruce free kick that grazed the crossbar was the nearest that either side came to scoring in the opening half. However, after the interval, Rangers forced an early corner and from Blythe's kick Drysdale cleverly turned the ball into the net. From the kick-off, the Edinburgh men raced upfield; Allan received a low shot from Scott on the right; he made a kick at it but missed completely, and Dick raced through to net the equaliser. However, Berwick gained passage into the last four of the competition when Blythe beat Barclay with a fast ten-yard shot.


7. The semi-final of the ESFA Qualifying Cup on 7th October claimed the attentions of the many football enthusiasts in the borough when Broxburn visited a rain sodden Union Park. Not only would the winners gain entry to the final but also qualification to the East of Scotland "City" Cup competition proper. Rangers soon found themselves a goal down when Chambers got possession and took a pot shot at goal. Allan caught the ball but, as it was greasy, it slipped from his grasp, through his legs and into the net. After a period of intense pressure on the home goal, Rangers broke away when Blythe intercepted the ball and he centred for Miller to level with a close-range shot. However, a few minutes later Burgon, in trying to block the ball, gave away a penalty. Scott took the kick and gave Broxburn a 2-1 interval lead. Berwick were the more aggressive on the restart, but Drysdale shot past. Scobie was next to try but met the same fate. Archibald put Broxburn further ahead before a long shot by Avery beat Allan to make it 4-1. Things were looking bleak for the home side until Miller put some new energy into the attack and the rest of the players followed suit. Scobie pulled a goal back before scoring a superb second following a solo run. Shortly before full time, Shorthouse made it 5-3 with a deflected shot that cruelly ended Berwick's fight back and their participation in the Qualifying Cup.

14. Berwick Rangers entered their third cup competition of the season when they met the Royal Garrison Artillery from Leith in the first round of the King Cup. Rangers opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Scobie was bowled over when he was about to shoot for goal and Willie Hope converted the kick. Five minutes later, Drysdale added a second with an unstoppable shot. Hope missed another penalty before Blythe banged in a third, as they hemmed the Gunners back in their own half. Miller completed the first half scoring when he waltzed around the Leith defence before netting. Honours were more even in the first 20 minutes of the second half until a fine solo run by Miller ended in the fifth for Berwick. The visitors then pressed with Hannah hit the upright before Finley beat Allan with a fast shot. Spurred by this reverse, Rangers attacked again, and Miller scored a sixth with a terrific shot. The visitors then took advantage of slack defending to score two late goals. Hannah drove the ball past Allan for the first before the keeper pinned a shot from Bright against the post only for the referee rule it a goal.

21. A period of inactivity in the cup competitions, with the Eastern League yet to start, led to a series of friendly matches at the Union Park to fill the gap. Two goals from Drysdale and one from Tom Roughead was enough to edge 3-2 past Broxburn Shamrock in a very tame affair.

28. The match against Kelso doubled as a benefit match for Willie Hope, who was not able to follow his employment due to an injury sustained against Edinburgh Adventurers. Kelso were credited with a smart eleven that were expected to give Berwick a hard game, but after the first ten minutes it was obvious that they were outclassed and, with the score 7-1 at half-time, many spectators had seen enough and left in droves. The second half was more of a farce than the first, and the final whistle came as a relief to those who remained.


4. Berwick Rangers got the chance to test their progress against one of the top teams when Hamilton Academical, who were occupying fourth place in the Scottish Football League Division 2, played a friendly. Although Hamilton were not at full strength, they still proved a hard nut to crack and for a good part of the game ran rings round the Rangers. Ramsay broke away down the left and, despite Willie Hope's best efforts, he sent in a shot that was well out of Allan's reach for the opening goal. Rangers fought back with Miller equalising with a quick shot before Jones gave Berwick the lead, amid loud cheers from the crowd. However, within five minutes Dodds levelled the score following a corner kick. Berwick were under immense pressure throughout the second half, and only the sterling performance of Allan in goal prevented the Accies from taking the lead. Rangers, however, took a great deal of satisfaction from holding a Scottish League team to a draw and looked forward to their upcoming Eastern League debut with optimism.

A number of senior clubs from both sides of the border were watching several of the Rangers' players and in an effort to keep the best the club offered a payment of 2s 6d for each game played if the players showed their commitment by signing a contract.

11. Berwick Rangers kicked off their Eastern League campaign at home against Edinburgh Adventurers minus the services of Adam Miller, who had joined Hibernian, and George Blythe, who was on trial at St Bernard's. Weatherhead gave Rangers an early lead after a short bombardment in front of the visitors' goal. Eddie Hope made it two before his brother, Alex, fired a low shot across goal for Scobie to poke home number three. Berwick were now well on top, and it was no surprise when Drysdale ran forty yards to score with ease. Scobie was unlucky when his shot hit the upright, but Alex Hope followed up and hit the rebound into the net. At 5-0 down the visitors pulled a goal back through Grahl but their effort to reduce the lead further met with stubborn opposition. In the second half, Weatherhead put Berwick further ahead as Rangers kept up the pressure but, late in the game, they conceded a series of corners from which Marshall scored. However, it made little difference to the result as Rangers picked up their first league points with an impressive victory.

18. Berwick Rangers were paired with Bo'ness in a cup competition for the second time this season when they met in the second round of the King Cup at Union Park. Berwick were determined to gain revenge for their previous defeat and were all over their opponents in the first half but could not find their range. Then, just three minutes before the interval, a momentary lapse of concentration by Willie Hope let Smith through to score. Bo'ness started the second half with renewed confidence and Prentice put his side further ahead with a close-range effort. The same player notched another two minutes later, and the game looked over for the homesters. To add insult to injury, John Hope scored an own goal after getting the ball caught between his feet from a hurried Patterson clearance. Still, encouraged by their supporters, Rangers rallied, and Drysdale was on hand to open Berwick's account before adding a second a few minutes later but it was a case of too little too late.


2. It was certainly a game of two halves in a friendly encounter with Duns on 2nd December. Rangers had hoped to play Hearts of Beath, but a late call-off led to Duns stepping into the breach. In a game in which the strong wind played a major part, the visitors secured an early lead and held the Rangers back until the interval. However, with the elements now their favour, Rangers demolished Duns in second half blitz with goals from Drysdale (3), John Hope (2), Roughead and a penalty converted by Patterson, the goalkeeper.

9. Berwick Rangers faced a hard task when they hosted Cowdenbeath on the Union Park. A mix-up in the home defence gave the Fifers an early lead when Patterson ran from his line to prevent Riddell from scoring, but his clearance struck Willie Hope and ball rebounded over their heads and into the net. However, straight from the kick-off, Scobie gained possession and levelled the score with a rasping shot. At the start of the second half, Jones gave Berwick an unexpected lead with a hotly disputed goal, which rattled the visitors. They tried hard to equalise, but Rangers were defending well, and Blythe put the matter beyond doubt from a Drysdale cross late in the game.

16. In a return friendly against Duns at Hawthorn Park, Rangers came out on top with a 4-2 victory after a hard-fought game. Berwick had the better of exchanges throughout, but Duns scored first when Smart scored direct from a free kick. Blythe equalised a few minutes later with a stinging shot and the teams crossed over on level terms. Drysdale opened the second half with a shot that the keeper could only partially clear, and Blythe was on hand to score. Duns responded when Smart levelled with a penalty kick conceded by Alex Hope. However, two late goals from Jones and Tom Roughead gave Berwick victory.

23. Hearts brought a strong eleven to Berwick, intent on taking both points, but Rangers were equally determined to continue their unbeaten start to the league campaign and the game turned out to be one of the best ever witnessed at Union Park. Wilson took advantage of Berwick's early nerves when he worked an opening to score with a fine curling shot inside two minutes before McGuire notched a second from a very dubious position, which rattled Berwick. Resorting to a long passing game, they outclassed their opponents and only the excellent goalkeeping of McCorkindale, along with the sterling defence of Bain and Welsh, kept them out. However, the keeper was finally beaten on the 20-minute mark, when Weatherhead hit a cross from Blythe into the net, and a few minutes later Tom Roughead, much to the delight of the home crowd, levelled the score from an inch perfect Scobie pass. The visitors rearranged their team at half-time, and it made a marked improvement in their attack, but the home defence stood firm. Blythe forced a corner, and from his kick, Weatherhead headed into the net. Rangers held the lead until ten minutes from the close when a mistake by Willie Hope let Wilson through to score. Patterson made some fine saves as Hearts pressed for a winner, but the final whistle found Berwick besieging the visitor's goal, where both Drysdale and Jones missed chances, and the game ended with Rangers still unbeaten.

25. Berwick Rangers hosted a Hibernian XI, consisting of a few of their regulars and several players on trial, in a Christmas Day friendly played for the transfer of Adam Miller earlier in the season. From the start, the visitors showed their superiority and within five minutes Miller had scored after Patterson had saved well from Stewart and Turnbull. Then a corner, taken by Blythe, was headed by Kelly into his own net and the score was level. A mistake by Willie Hope let Turnbull regain the lead for Hibernian before Hagen scored from a free kick. Turnbull headed through his second and the visitors' fourth before he completed his hat trick two minute later with a superb shot. Not content with three, Turnbull added another to his tally in the second half before Hibernian settled down and Rangers took up the running. Scobie scored with a plucky effort and later Alex Hope lessened the difference to three as the game ended in semi-darkness.

30. Berwick Rangers and Partick Thistle met in a friendly at the Union Park in front of 1300 spectators. The game, however, was disappointing from start to finish. The train in which the visitors travelled did not stop at Berwick but had some slip carriages attached. Four of their team were not in the slip carriages and consequently did not stop at Berwick when released, their places being filled by local players. Rangers took a 25th minute lead through Tom Roughead, but they seemed disinterested by the fact that they were not playing Partick's full team. Within a few minutes, McCall equalised, and the teams crossed over on level terms. Brown added for the visitors early in the second half, beating the advancing Patterson with a shot that went over his head, and McCall followed later with Thistle's third.


1. Scottish Football League Division 2 side St Bernard's were New Year's Day visitors for a match that Berwick were not expected to win. Blythe, who had had a trial for the Saints a few weeks earlier, intercepted a clearance and ran on to score the opening goal. Rangers continued to press and increased their lead after a fine run by Scobie ended with his cross finding Drysdale, who shot home from close range. The visitors put some determination behind the ball after the interval, but nothing exciting happened until Drysdale was tripped in the penalty box. Alex Hope took the resultant kick and made no mistake as Rangers silenced their doubters with a fine 3-0 win.

2. Falkirk Juniors were the visitors in the last of the holiday friendlies. Weakened by the absence of several first-team players, Rangers gave as much as they got, and a 4-4 draw was a fair result on the day's play. Trailing 2-1 at the interval, a second half fight back saw Berwick gain the lead at 4-3, only to see Scobie put through his own goal for the draw.

6. Berwick Rangers were totally outclassed by Heart of Midlothian in an Eastern League fixture at Tynecastle. Had it not been for a heroic display by Patterson in goal the 6-1 scoreline would have been much worse. Rangers held on for 35 minutes but, after Kilday had scored Hearts' opener, they walked through the Berwick defence at will. The second goal was not long in following when Lawrie single-handedly drew the defenders before rounding them to score from two yards out. Munro hit an upright before Lawrie again worked his way through the Berwick defence to give Hearts a comfortable 3-0 half-time lead. Hearts took the upper hand on the restart with Munro screwing the ball past Patterson. Lawrie took his total to three, and his teams to five, after Munro had completely outwitted four opponents down the left before supplying the perfect cross. A rare sortie by Berwick ended abruptly when Axford's clearance found Munro and, from his centre, Anderson headed home number six. Drysdale scored what was nothing more than a consolation goal for Berwick in the closing minutes.

20. Berwick Rangers had a vacant Saturday to fill due to the cancellation of the East of Scotland Consolation Cup first round tie against the Royal Garrison Artillery. However, supporters were more than compensated as the club used their English connection with a friendly against Ashington, who brought their full Northern Alliance side to the Union Park. Weatherhead scored for Berwick in the first half with Ashington equalising a little after half-time through Wilson. Both teams tried hard to find the winning goal, but Brown scored an own goal just on time to give the Miners a 2-1 victory.

27. In a return to the league, a 4-2 home win over Broxburn Athletic gave Berwick a welcomed victory and another two points. Jones headed Rangers into the lead from a Scobie break and ten minutes later Drysdale banged home number two after a fine run up the wing. Blythe followed suit shortly after when he dribbled the ball the full length of the field before notching number three. However, Broxburn saw the last of the first half action when Curran centred for Taylor to score. Five minutes after the interval Curran pulled Broxburn back to within a goal but, with ten minutes remaining, Alex Hope scored Berwick's fourth and made the points safe.


17. Berwick Rangers were due to play the Royal Garrison Artillery in the ESFA Consolation Cup with the latter having home advantage. The Leith team were willing to travel to Berwick in return of a big guarantee, but the Rangers' committee refused, and the Garrison scratched. With yet another vacant date, Rangers travelled to Kelso to play a return friendly. Kelso made a better show of things, compared to their 10-1 drubbing the last time the two teams met, and forced a creditable 3-3 draw. First half goals from Alex Hope, Jones and Weatherhead gave Rangers a 3-1 half-time lead, but a spirited second half performance saw Kelso draw level.

Rangers were fortunate in the Consolation Cup second round draw when they received a bye and passage to the semi-final of the competition. Broxburn were to be Berwick's opponents at that stage but, due to their success in winning the King Cup, they were ineligible. Rangers had advanced through the whole competition without playing a single match and due to play the winners between Edinburgh Adventurers and Selkirk in the final.

24. Friendlies matches became the norm in the run up to the ESFA Consolation Cup final and a match against Morpeth Harriers at Union Park gave Berwick the chance to blood a few up and coming players. Goldie and Kelly, an ex-junior internationalist full-back, were included in the line-up and played their part in an impressive 5-3 win. Morpeth, who were billed as the "best team" of the Northern Alliance League, were at full strength and took up the running to score first. Makeshift centre-forward Tom Roughead equalised matters before a wild shot from the visitors rebounded over the line off the underside of the crossbar regained Morpeth the lead. However, Roughead levelled the score for the second time just before half-time. Scobie put Rangers in front on the restart when he scored from what seemed to be an impossible angle, but another shot fired home off the crossbar drew Morpeth level. Berwick piled on the pressure with a series of corners from which Eddie Hope hit the last one home. Scobie was then upended in the box and Alex Hope scored from the spot to seal the victory and prove the fact that Rangers would have been an asset to the Alliance had they not been denied entry due to their geographical location.


3. Hamilton Garrison, holders of the Military League Championship, were visitors to Union Park on March 3rd. A keen fight was fully anticipated, but the Soldiers were well outplayed and failed to score. Rangers, on the other hand, registered seven – Jones, Scobie, a Weatherhead hat trick, John Hope and Roughead being responsible.

10. Berwick Rangers took on Eastern League colleagues Heart of Midlothian A at Union Park, only this time on friendly terms. Having failed to beat them on two previous occasions, Rangers hoped this time to go one better, but Hearts played their strongest available eleven and had ideas of their own. After an entertaining first half, two late goals, both scored by the maroons, separated the teams at the interval. Lawrie broke way and, in a one-on-one with Patterson, he unleashed an unstoppable shot into the net. Rangers played up gamely, but Reid eluded Willie Hope to put the visitors two up. An early second half corner was clearly punched home by Lindsay, but the referee gave a goal, and Berwick were three down. Rangers then had slightly the better of exchanges and pulled a goal back when Roughead headed home from a corner, and he followed up his success with another a few minutes later. Just on time, Reid broke away from a throw-in, but Willie Hope kicked clear, and the game ended 3-2 in Hearts' favour.

24. Berwick Rangers had a week's rest before the final of the ESFA Consolation Cup took place at Bennett's Park, Kelso. About 300 followers of the Black and Gold paid 1s 3d for the train journey on a special that left Berwick at 2.25 pm and Tweedmouth at 2.30 pm for the 4 o'clock kick off. Rangers were not at full strength, and they had to play Pat Kelly at full-back with Tommy Burn making his debut for the first team at centre-forward. The game started in typical cup-tie fashion with incidents galore both on and off the ball. Selkirk did not make full use of a stiff breeze that was blowing and could only break the Berwick defence once, when Scott slipped the ball past Patterson, and the sides changed ends with the Soutars leading by a slender goal to nil. In the second half, Rangers played on the weaknesses of the Selkirk defence and Scobie, accepting a cross from Jones, took the ball in his stride and crashed home the equaliser. Selkirk were now worried, but Rangers, for some reason eased up, allowing them back into the game, and it took a long shot that rattled the crossbar to wake them up. Centre-half Tom Roughead eventually came to the rescue when he forced the ball over the line and Tommy Burn made it three a few minutes later. The match ended at 3-1 to the Rangers, but as the players and supporters waited expectantly to receive the cup, Selkirk lodged a protest, and Berwick had to return home cup less despite demonstrations, and all.

Selkirk's protest was based on the fact that Tommy Burn had allegedly played for the Royal Garrison Artillery during the season and had also played in the "Shielfield Cup," whatever that was, and the Border League. It was also alleged that Kelly had turned out for Hibernian against Heart of Midlothian in some local competition at the New Year and played for them again Saturday past, under an assumed name. The ESFA threw out the protest against Kelly but ordered a replay at Duns on April 21st in consequence of Burn playing in the Border League, which they held a senior competition, seven days before the final.


7. Berwick Rangers were occupying a prominent position in the Eastern League and had a chance of being runners-up, if not winners. Leaders Heart of Midlothian had just suffered their first league defeat, against Broxburn Athletic, and Rangers were keen to capitalize on their misfortune by closing the gap at the top of the table with victory at Cowdenbeath; however, it was not to be. Two goals down at the interval, the Berwickers eventually woke up and launched a relentless attack on the home goal during in the second half. Roughead pulled a goal back before John Hope rushed through a late equaliser to salvage a point.

16. Dennistoun Casuals were the Easter Holiday Monday opposition in a friendly match that was hampered by the wind. The visitors proved themselves to be a smart eleven and when Rangers faced the wind in the second half with only a one-goal lead, scored by Burn, grave doubts were raised as to whether they could hold on to win or not. However, Rangers played better against the wind and scored four goals for their labour. Goalkeeper George Patterson changed places with George "Inky" Patterson, who went between the sticks, and he succeeded in notching two of the goals. Weatherhead and another by Burn were the other scorers with the Casuals scoring from a late penalty kick.

21. The replay of the Consolation Cup Final took place at Hawthorn Park, Duns. A large contingent of Berwickers made the short journey, swelling the crowd to over two thousand. Selkirk had noticeably strengthened their side and the Rangers' officials were on the lookout to make sure that the Soutars violated no rules this time. Tommy Burn had been registered, and everything was now deemed legal. The Selkirk side proved a hard nut to crack, but Rangers stuck to the task in hand. From an early free kick, John Hope got hold of the ball and unleashed a tremendous shot that flew into the top corner of the net after only seven minutes' play. The goal settled Berwick's nerves and they gave the Soutars a hard time in front of goal. A second goal soon followed when the goalkeeper held a Tommy Burn cross from the right, but Weatherhead, who was lurking nearby, succeeded in bundling both keeper and ball into the net, and a goal was awarded. After the interval, Rangers had to pack tight their defence to withstand a strong Selkirk challenge. Miller pulled a goal back for the Soutars following a well-placed corner by Douglas midway through the half. Rangers soaked up the remaining pressure, although they had a late scare when Willie Hope gave away a dangerous free kick on the edge of the box, to lift the cup. Mr. David Redpath, as chairman, accepted the cup on behalf of the club and said that, in reality, Rangers had won the cup twice! Scobie was then put in possession of the trophy and triumphantly escorted to the White Swan Hotel for the after-match celebrations. On their return the return to Berwick, the cup was triumphantly paraded from the railway station down the High Street, Hide Hill and Bridge Street to the Tweed Tavern on West Street, the home of team captain Willie Hope.

28. All that now remained of the season was the two outstanding Eastern League fixtures against Edinburgh Adventurers and Broxburn Athletic. Rangers played hosts for the fourth time to the Adventurers, having already played them twice at Union Park in the King Cup and once in the Eastern League. The Edinburgh men gave up their home advantage for a large guarantee and Rangers could not turn down the chance of winning another two points at home. A crowd of 900 turned out to watch proceedings and view the Consolation Cup, which was on display at the entrance to the ground. Rangers kicked off towards the town end in what turned out to be the poorest performance of the season. Berwick were without Burns and Jones while the visitors had an eleven that could hardly be recognised as the same that visited previously. Peffers had the misfortune to put through his own goal, or else the Rangers would never have scored. However, Meechan equalised before Alex Hope failed to convert a penalty, shooting straight at the keeper, and half-time arrived with the score at 1-1. The second half opened with Rangers on the attack, which was easily repelled. Kelly put in some good runs, but the forwards, except for Scobie, lost what good the defence did. The visitors took the lead when their outside-left, Scott, beat Patterson with a shot that went in off the woodwork. At just 2-1 down, there was no-way back for the Rangers and the final whistle sounded as a relief for those who remained.


5. With their chances of winning the Eastern League Championship now in tatters, Rangers set their sights firmly on the runners-up spot. Victory over Broxburn Athletic, who were their nearest rivals, in their last match of the season, would guarantee them second place and the 800 spectators who turned out to watch hoped for a better performance than the week before. The Union Park was again the venue for an "away" match with Broxburn giving up home advantage as their ground was being used for the Lanarkshire Cup Final. The game was in great contrast to the match against Edinburgh Adventurers and Rangers were full value for their 3-2 win. Broxburn opened the scoring inside two minutes when Finlay-Stevenson found space, but Rangers buckled down to their work and John Hope equalised with a long shot. Graham hit home a Curran cross to put the visitors ahead again before Burn put Berwick back on level terms a few minutes before the interval. Heavy rain spoiled the second half, but both teams attacked in turn, as they searched for the winning point. Berwick's John Scobie got the all-important goal, with a daisy cutter, to secure Rangers the runners-up spot, three points behind the champions, Hearts.

The club's debut season in Scottish football turned out to be quite successful, with the runners-up spot in the Eastern League and their first trophy after defeating Selkirk in the final of the ESFA Consolation Cup.