1904/05: Geographical Location


Date C V Opposition Res i
Sep 10 F A Duns W 5-0
17 F H Duns W 4-0
24 F H Gateshead NER W 10-2
Oct 1 CCC 1 H Hirst Colliery W 4-3
8 F H Highland Light Infantry D 3-3
15 NL A Broomhill Rovers L 1-2
22 F H 17th Lancers W 7-0
29 NL A Seaton Delaval L 0-2
Nov 5 NL H Cramlington Percy Villa W 14-0
12 NL H Alnwick St James' W 4-1
19 NMC 1 H Widdrington United W 8-1
26 CCC SF N Blyth Spartans L 1-2
Dec 3 NMC 2 H Tweedside Albion D 1-1
10 NMC 2R A Tweedside Albion W 3-0
17 NL A Bates Wanderers L 2-5
24 NL A Bedlington United L 0-2
26 F H Tweedside Albion D 1-1
31 NL A East Holywell Villa W 2-1
Jan 2 NL H Blyth Spartans D 2-2
7 NMC 3 H Amble W 2-1
14 NL A Blyth Spartans L 0-2
21 NL A Amble L 1-7
28 NMC 4 H Alnwick St James' L 2-3
Feb 4 NL A Cramlington Percy Villa W 3-2
11 NL H Broomhill Rovers W 3-1
18 NL A Hirst Colliery L 1-2
Mar 4 NL H Pegswood W 5-2
11 NL A Pegswood D 1-1
18 NL A Alnwick St James' W 2-1
25 NL H Hirst Colliery W 4-1
Apr 1 NL H Amble W 2-1
8 NL H Bedlington United L 1-2
15 F H Tweedside Albion W 4-0
22 F H Duns W 4-1
24 F H Rutherford College Casuals W 6-1

Northumberland League

Home Away
Pld W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1 Bedlington United 19 9 0 0 51 3 9 1 0 25 7 37
2 Amble 20 7 1 2 35 11 6 2 2 17 9 29
3 Blyth Spartans 20 7 1 2 34 9 4 2 4 19 19 25
4 Seaton Delaval 19 6 0 4 24 15 3 2 4 16 15 20
5 Bates Wanderers 18 5 3 1 31 8 2 2 5 10 24 19
6 Broomhill Rovers 19 6 1 2 24 10 1 2 7 15 41 17
7 Alnwick St James' 18 5 0 4 27 19 3 0 6 11 23 16
8 Berwick Rangers 16 5 1 1 31 9 2 1 6 9 24 16
9 Pegswood 19 3 3 4 17 16 2 0 7 9 32 13
10 Seaton Burn Wanderers 16 1 1 7 11 19 2 0 5 6 36 7
11 Cramlington Percy Villa 20 1 1 8 8 27 1 0 9 9 63 5
Hirst Colliery and East Hollywell Villa resigned from the League and their records were deleted.

Appearances & Goals

A G A G A G   A G
David Allan 8 3
Robert Amers 1
Sidney Baggsby 1
George Blythe 17 6 5 4 2 9 1
George Brodie 10 5 2 3
William Brown 10 3 4 2 6 6
Stephen Bruce 19 1 5 2 9 1
Harry Burgon 13 1 4 1 2 8
William Clark 1
William Davis 6
George Dixon 1
Jack Drysdale 18 6 5 2 2   8 7
Roger Goldie 2
Alex Hope 17 9 5 4 2 2   9 7
John Hope 12 8 5 2 1   6 6
William Hope 17 5 2 2 8
Duncan McQueen 1
James Ord 18 5 2 9
George Patterson 1 3
David Redfearn 3 1 1 1
Ben Roughead 6 3 2
Tom Roughead 15 7 2 4 3
Walter Sinton 1
Tommy Smith 13 6 4 4 2 8 11
Own goal 1
Number of players used: 24

Competition Results

Berwick Rangers decided to enter the Northumberland Minor Cup and Border League for the coming season.

The Border League Committee was approached to see if it was possible to start a reserve league. Six players from Tweedside Albion - Jack Drysdale, the brothers Alex, Joe and Willie Hope, Steve Bruce and George Blythe threw their lot in with the Black and Gold and with so many players now on the books it was suggested that a reserve team should again be formed.

Training commenced on August 17th in the Drill Shed at the Barracks, again under the supervision of Sergeant-Major Ferns. A full practice match was later played on The Stanks when the Whites beat the Stripes 2-0 in preparation for the opening fixtures.

The Tweedmouth teams of the Albion and Villa decided to amalgamate under the name of Tweedside Albion after Albion lost several of their best players to the Rangers. Tweedside Albion entered a team in the Border League along with Berwick Rangers, Duns, Coldstream, Eyemouth and Chirnside and new entrants Cumledge Mills. Alnwick Percy Rovers left the league and joined the Newcastle and District Amateur League.


10. The first of back to back friendlies against Duns opened the season with Rangers returning with a substantial 5-0 victory against a side that obviously lacked fitness. Ord, Smith (2), Alex Hope and Jackie Drysdale were the scorers.

17. The return match at the Union Park, the following week, was played much the same, but in a less friendly nature; bouts of "fisticuffs" broke out as the Duns men became agitated with their lack of chances. Two goals either side of the interval from Blythe, Smith, Brown and Ord put the Berwickers on easy street in front of a large crowd who had turned out to see the new Rangers line-up.

24. With an unchanged side, Berwick Rangers demolished Gateshead NER at the Union Park 10-2. Remarkably, the Railwaymen opened the scoring through Dunn in the 10th minute, but their lead did not last long as Drysdale equalised two minutes later. It was the start of a Berwick onslaught that, by half-time, had amassed eight goals. A further three goals by Drysdale, three by Ord and one by Smith knocked any competitiveness out of the match with many spectators leaving at the interval. From a long upfield punt by Patterson, Brown, with a deft flick of his head, notched number nine in the first minute of the second half. With their greed for goals satisfied, Rangers then slackened off and played the ball around. Gateshead struggled to pass the halfway line but, with ten minutes remaining, they caught Berwick on the break and Clune scored their second. Not to be outdone, Brown completed the rout with Rangers' tenth with the last touch of the match.

With four goals in a match, it looked as if Jackie Drysdale was the find of the season. He played a trial for Heart of Midlothian in the latter part of last season, under the guise of "MacDonald", against Leith Athletic, before swapping the red and white of Tweedside Albion for the black and gold of the Rangers.

Berwick Rangers accepted an invitation, along with Tweedside Albion, to enter a team in the Cairns Charity Cup competition run by the Northumberland FA. In a bold move by the club, they applied for membership of the Northumberland League and their application was accepted by eight votes to four at a meeting held in Bedlington on September 26th. Having won the Border League Championship, the club saw the Northumberland League as a more competitive league in which to play. A meeting of the Border League was later held where it was agreed to allow the entry of a reserve team of the Rangers to fulfil their fixtures.


1. Berwick Rangers dismissed Hirst Colliery from the Cairns Charity Cup by the odd goal in seven when the two teams met in the first round at the Union Park. Hirst, who were unbeaten so far this season, were first to impress and it took Rangers sometime to get into their stride. Drysdale banged in Berwick's first on ten minutes and ruffled the visitors' feathers. Hirst replied a three minutes later when Armstrong, from a rather dubious position, beat Brodie with an unstoppable shot. Appeals for offside were wave aside, which infused a bit of needle into the game, and the referee had to stop play on several occasions in a bid to calm the situation. On 16 minutes, a free kick was awarded against the home side; Nuttall sent in a stinging shot that Brodie failed to stop and Rangers were 2-1 down. This sudden reverse staggered Berwick and, for a while, they struggled to hold their own. However, just before half time, a handball by Willis was not missed by the referee and a spot-kick was awarded. Alex Hope took the kick and banged it into the net. Rangers reshuffled the pack at the interval and looked a far better team for it. Alex Hope broke away down the left before passing to Drysdale, who dribbled through all opposition to score a beauty. Hirst soon wiped the smiles off the Berwick faces, however, when Harris sent in a long dipping shot that Brodie failed to hold due to being impeded. The referee ruled the challenge lawful and the score was again level. Rangers, however, had the final say when Ord intercepted a back-pass and shot hard at goal; his shot rebound off the crossbar to the feet of Alex Hope, who made no mistake with his effort.

8. Berwick Rangers were evidently taking things easy, with nothing at stake, in a friendly match against the Highland Light Infantry. Blythe hit the woodwork before Ord opened the scoring in the 20th minute. Smith was unlucky not to increase Berwick's lead in a one-on-one with the visiting keeper before the Infantry levelled from a corner. Alex Hope put Rangers ahead again with a beauty from a corner kick, but a quick breakaway saw the visitors equalise just before half-time. On the restart, a Brodie clearance found Bruce, who passed for Blythe to centre for Smith to blast home number three. However, despite Rangers having the lion's share of the second half play they could not prevent the Highlanders from levelling yet again with just five minutes of the match remaining.

15. Berwick Rangers sent their best eleven to Central Park, Broomhill, to fulfil their opening Northumberland League fixture against the Rovers but, after a hard game, they returned home bruised and pointless. Brodie was having an off day but should have at least saved the second of the two shots that beat him. Broomhill played rough tactics from the start, and it came as no surprise when they took the lead early on through Stevens. Brown equalised just before half-time with a cracking 10-yard shot. In the second half, the rough play continued despite Berwick trying hard to play flowing football. Drysdale was in top form, but he, Brown and Smith all missed easy chances and Rangers paid heavily when Shotton scored Broomhill's second at the death.

22. Berwick Rangers played the 17th Lancers in a friendly that finished well short of time when the Military left the field in disgust. Berwick opened the scoring through Smith in the first minute, with Ord following suit shortly after. The visitors then hit the underside of the crossbar, following a cracking shot from the edge of the box; the referee at first gave a goal, but when the ball rebounded back into play, he changed his mind. The Soldiers were not amused by this decision and started to take avenge on the Berwick players. Matters were made worse when Blythe ran down the field, struck the crossbar, and Brown followed up to net the rebound. As tensions rose, Smith was knocked down in the box and a penalty kick was given. Alex Hope converted the kick to give Rangers a 4-0 interval lead. The second half opened in the same fashion with Rangers playing football against the rough and ready tactics of the Military. A breakaway by Smith let Brown in to score number five. Smith scored number six a few minutes later from a hotly disputed free kick and then beat the keeper to a loose ball, after he failed to hold a shot from Blythe, for number seven. At his point, a fight began, and one of the Lancers' Sergeants in the crowd took them off the field with a quarter-hour remaining and the score at 7-0 to the Rangers.

29. On a Northumberland League visit to Seaton Delaval, Berwick Rangers had their fair share of the play, but their forward line was unusually weak. The home side had not won a league match in five and Rangers met with their second reverse. After an even but goalless first half, the home side took an early lead in the second from a rather dubious penalty, scored by Ord, awarded after Willie Hope, in trying to clear, fell on an opponent. A minute or two later, urged on by the crowd, the home side extended their lead with a shot from Walker that gave Brodie no earthly chance. Just on time, Alex Hope, who was tired of seeing attack after attack result in nothing, decided to take on the role himself. He succeeded in getting in his shot, but followed through, almost annihilating Brown the keeper in the process. The home crowd invaded the pitch, threatening to mob the Rangers as a result, and the keeper was carried off on a chair. There was no doubt that the better team won, but a narrower scoreline would have been a better reflection of play.


5. Berwick Rangers entertained Cramlington Percy Villa in their first home Northumberland League fixture. The visitors turned up with only nine men and, as a consequence, play was seldom out of their half. From start to finish Rangers pressed, and only the heroics of the Villa keeper, who saved superbly on more than one occasion, kept Rangers at bay in the first half. On the thirty-minute mark, Smith ran through on his own to open the scoring, but it was sometime later before Ord headed in a Blythe cross for goal number two. Smith had a goal ruled out for offside before Alex Hope latched onto a rebound to prod home a third with the last kick of the half. However, two quick goals by Smith after the interval were a sign of things to come, as it became a case of the Rangers shooting and nine men trying to stop them. Ord scored number six and then followed up with another that was disallowed for offside. Drysdale was next to score and Blythe followed suit a few minutes later with a long drive. Willie Hope sent in a thunderous shot that hit the woodwork before Drysdale gave Rangers a ninth. Berwick settled down for a while, holding the ball at will, until Alex Hope broke away to hit double figures. Ord scored two more, followed by Drysdale, and Alex Hope, who must have been thinking of the unlucky number 13, scored the last.

12. In a home league match against Alnwick St James', Berwick attacked from the start and took a deserved lead when Smith collected a Blythe cross and shot at goal. Liddell partly saved, but Alex Hope, dashing in, put the matter beyond doubt. Smith later atoned for his miss when he broke away, and from a weak clearance by the keeper, put Rangers two ahead. Alnwick were never at any point dangerous in the first half but, at the start of the second, it took the stubborn half-line of Burgon, Bruce, and Ord to keep them out. A free kick awarded against the visitors relieved the pressure when Blythe scored the goal of the day with Liddell barely touching his shot as it screamed into the net. O'Brien scored a consolation goal for the Saints shortly after before a late strike from Alex Hope secured Rangers both points.

19. Widdrington United of the Coquetdale League were visitors to the Union Park in the first round of the Northumberland Minor Cup. Berwick had all the first half play and goals from Blythe (2), Alex Hope, Smith, and Willie Hope gave them a comfortable 5-0 lead at the interval. Widdrington gave a better performance in the second half, pulling a goal back early on, but Rangers soon gained the upper hand and two more goals from Blythe and one from Alex Hope made it eight and put Rangers in the hat for the second round draw.

26. Berwick Rangers met Blyth Spartans in the semi-final of the Cairns Charity Cup at the neutral venue of New Delaval. The weather was bitterly cold, and the ground icy and dangerous. The start was delayed by 45 minutes due to there being no ball and a long stand in the bitter cold after a long railway journey was not in Berwick's best interest. They kicked off on the back foot and it was only the fine form of keeper George Brodie that kept the score at a respectable 2-0 reverse at half-time. On 20 minutes, Thompson scored a clever goal for the Spartans and Mount increased their lead with only a minute of the half remaining. However, Rangers showed a marked improvement after the interval and Ord pulled a goal back on 63 minutes following a well-placed corner from the left. With time to spare, Rangers pressed hard in search of the equaliser, but due to the late kick-off, and bad light, the match was abandoned with fifteen minutes remaining. Blyth were declared winners, but the cup committee ordered the match be replayed.


3. The draw for the second round of the Northumberland Minor Cup, concerning the Northern Division sides, gave Berwick Rangers home advantage against local rivals Tweedside Albion. There was little doubt in local footballing circles that the match would be keenly contested, but the Albion would come off second best. A crowd of 1200 spectators lined the pitch at kick-off. Rangers pressed from the start, hemming the Albion back in defence and only the fine form of Short in goal kept them from scoring. Albion had only managed to get a few shots on target but, five minutes from the interval, their left wing broke away. Brodie rushed out to save, but he drove the ball against the advancing Renwick and the ball rolled into the net. Berwick went all out at the start of the second half and, within ten minutes remaining, they equalised through a low Smith shot. With no further scoring, Albion celebrated at the final whistle after holding their rivals to a draw and a replay.

10. Berwick Rangers proved their superiority in the replay with a stiffly contested but scrappy encounter at Shielfield. Shots were falling thick and fast onto the Albion goal, but Short was playing a brilliant game and cleared his line time after time. Then, a mistake by Weatherburn, close on half-time, let Drysdale in; he banged in a fierce shot, which was stopped by Short, but Smith was upon him before he had time to clear. Rangers pressed at the start of the second half but were forced back by Albion's solid defence. Berwick eventually broke through when, in a goalmouth melee, Short failed to hold the ball and Smith was again on hand to poke the ball home. In the 70th minute, a penalty was awarded against Short for throwing two of the Rangers' players over his back as play became a bit rough, and tempers flared. Alex Hope took the kick, placed it well out of Short's reach, and at three goals down the Tweedsiders knew their luck had just run out.

17. Back to league business, Berwick Rangers were not at full strength for the journey to Bates Wanderers. Burgon, Drysdale and Willie Hope were all unable to make the journey through illness. Dixon, Clarke and Roughead were drafted in as the team set off at 9.15 in the morning for the tiresome journey. On arrival at the nearest railway station, they still had to travel a further eleven miles by brake before the ground could be reached. The match kicked off late and, therefore, was played over two forty-minute halves. Four goals were scored in the space of five minutes as the teams finished the first half on level terms, but an own goal and two late strikes gave Bates a comfortable 5-2 win. The home side faced the strong breeze at the beginning and for a short while Rangers held the upper hand. However, Berwick's efforts lacked accuracy and the Wanderers began to take control. Roughead and Bruce had to work overtime in defence, repelling attack after attack from the home side. On twenty minutes, Richardson broke away and tricked Ord before beating Brodie at close quarters with a simple shot. Within a couple of minutes, the home side added a second when a neat through ball put Skedge in possession and he had little difficulty in scoring. However, immediately after, Rangers got their break. Smith hit the ball home from close range and just a minute later a twenty-yard drive from Roughead thundered into the net and Berwick were surprisingly level. The second half was a repartition of the first with Wanderers pressing and Rangers defending. A long shot was played in from the left wing to Brodie who, in trying to clear, stumbled; he managed to get the ball clear, but it struck the back of a defender and rebounded into the net, giving Bates a third goal. The home side secured a fourth goal after a bout of head tennis saw the ball land kindly at the feet of Harper, who was well placed to hammer the ball home. With only five minutes remaining of the second forty, the Wanderers won a corner. Richardson took the flag kick and the ball dropped perfectly into the six-yard box, where Nicholson pounced upon it and toed it in to complete the scoring.

24. On Christmas Eve, Berwick Rangers travelled to league leaders Bedlington United. Redfearn and Roughead took the places of Burgon and Smith, but otherwise the team was back to its best. The match kicked off before a large attendance, and it was soon noticeable that a hard and fast game was on the cards. The Terriers played a short passing game and won an early corner from which Clarkson skimmed the crossbar. Bedlington were in fine form with Gallagher and Dixon giving the Rangers defence a hard time. Berwick took the ball to the other end and gave the home side a glimpse of their shooting power, but Gray in goal was not to be caught napping. Rangers were having more than their share of the game, but it was the Terriers who took the lead when some fine work by Gallagher and Dixon ended in the latter hitting the ball home with a rising shot that gave Brodie no chance at all. Spurred on by this reverse, Berwick made for the home goal and only a quick intervention by Buchanan stopped them from levelling. This point of the game was marred by roughness and the referee did well to calm the situation. However, close upon the interval, the home forwards were sailing into the Berwick goalmouth when one of them was brought down in merciless fashion inside the penalty box. Bedlington were awarded a penalty as a result with Wilkinson scoring from the spot to make it 2-0 at the close of the half. In the second half, Rangers played their best football of the season so far but could not break through the home defence. Towards the finish, fists were raised a time or two, but happily no blows were struck, as the game finished in semi-darkness and Bedlington getting their Christmas present in the shape of two points at Berwick's expense.

26. Berwick Rangers met Tweedside Albion in a Boxing Day friendly, an appropriate name for a match between Rangers and their Tweedmouth counterparts. The largest crowd of the season turned out at the Union Park to watch the grudge encounter as Albion hoped to take revenge for their Minor Cup defeat. The first half was played end-to-end, with only a Bruce goal for the Rangers separating the two sides at the interval. Berwick had the better of the second half exchanges, hitting both upright and crossbar and paid dearly for their missed chances. With only three minutes remaining, Brodie, in kicking the ball clear, kicked straight into Willie Hope's hands and the referee harshly awarded a penalty. Patterson took the kick and equalised. The scene that followed can be better imagined than described.

31. Berwick Rangers won their first away match of the League campaign when they travelled via Newcastle to Backworth to play East Holywell Villa. They were minus the services of Blythe, who had been misinformed about the time of departure, whose boots were filled by Redfearn. Rangers played pressing football from the start, and it was not long before they took the lead when Alex Hope took the ball from one end to the other before slotting the ball home from two yards. In the second half, Rangers won several corners. Bruce took one of them from which Ord hit a thunderous shot past the home keeper. Villa were kept at bay until the final quarter when they managed to pull a goal back. Both teams then missed penalties, but Rangers held on to claim victory.


2. A two-thousand strong crowd turned out at the Union Park to watch Berwick Rangers battle for league points against a strong Blyth Spartans side. Having already had a goal disallowed, Rangers were determined to open the scoring first. Alex Hope got possession from a wild clearance on the 18-yard line, from which he hit a beautiful shot that the keeper held but, before he could clear, the forwards were upon him; he jumped behind the line with the ball in his hands and the referee, on seeing this, lost no time in awarding a goal. Blyth protested strongly, but their shouts were waved aside. Berwick went further ahead when Brown scored from within a goalmouth melee. Spowart got a hand to it but not enough to prevent Rangers taking a 2-0 lead into the interval. On the restart, Rangers continued to press. However, they were caught on the break and a miskick by Willie Hope let McGlade in to score. This put heart into the Spartans side and shortly afterwards Mount levelled the score.

7. In the Northern Division semi-final, or round three, of the Minor Cup Berwick Rangers dismissed Amble 2-1. Rangers donned the maroon jerseys of the KOSB Depot team for the match as the visitors also wore black and gold. Berwick kicked off towards the town end and were not long in warming up the hands of the Amble keeper. However, seven minutes from the start Aston, after a brilliant run, beat Brodie with a 15-yard shot to put the visitors ahead. After this, Rangers never allowed Matthews time to rest as they rained in shot after shot on the Amble goal. Some the keeper saved, some hit the woodwork, but at half-time, the visitors were still a goal in front. After a five-minute bombardment at the start of the second half the breakthrough finally came. Brown took possession from Blythe on the corner line, and his centre found the head of Alex Hope, who powered home the equaliser. Twenty minutes later, they broke through again when Burgon, with his first goal for the club, gave Rangers the lead from close range. Amble battled back strongly and gave Berwick an anxious time as they forced corner after corner. However, Brodie pulled off a couple of great saves, and the brothers Hope cleared the rest, as Rangers held on to reach the final stage.

14. In the return league fixture at the North Pit ground, Blyth were taking no chances after their previous encounter with the Rangers. There was a strong breeze blowing and the ground was on the greasy side as the home side kicked off down the slope. Berwick had to defend well to hold the Spartans front rank at bay for the first twenty minutes. Then, after misunderstanding between Roughead and Willie Hope, Parker was given too much space to manoeuvre, and he scored with a low, hard shot. Rangers fought back with both Drysdale and Alex Hope missing easy chances before Blyth were awarded a penalty for a push in the box. Parker took the kick, but Brodie stopped it, and the follow up from Thompson, with a splendid double save. Brodie then became the busiest man on the pitch as Blyth pressed relentlessly, and it came as no surprise when Thompson beat him with a close-range shot to give Spartans a 2-0 half time lead. As it stood at the interval, there was no certainty that the Spartans would extract maximum points. With the wind freshening and slope advantage, the possibility was that the Rangers would easily rub out the lead. However, Blyth found it better controlling the ball up hill and into the wind and continued to hold the upper hand. Redfearn missed a good chance before Rangers were given a lifeline when the referee awarded them a penalty. Alex Hope took the kick but unfortunately slipped in his run and swooped the ball well wide of the goal with the outside of his right foot. It said it all - their luck was out!

21. Amble gained revenge for their Minor Cup exit at the hands of the Rangers with a comprehensive 7-1 home league victory. Amble pressed from the start and opened the scoring with a penalty, awarded against Ord, before Berwick took up the running and equalised through Brown. However, the referee, Mr. Purvis of Morpeth, then refused to whistle when the Amble forwards were blatantly offside and, as a result, Rangers were three behind by half-time. With the referee taking no action against the home side, play became increasing rough. Having already lost the services of Brown, due to a kick on the knee in the first half, Rangers lost Blythe to a dead leg and Smith to a kick in the face in the second. Playing against eight men, Amble notched another three before the close of play, at which point the Berwick players were hustled from the pitch by the Amble players and spectators alike.

28. The Northern Division final, or round four, of the Minor Cup against Alnwick St James' had been the talk of the town since the semi-final victory over Amble two weeks before. Seven-hundred spectators arrived by a special rail excursions from Alnwick, Amble, and Morpeth for the match, swelling the already large contingent of home supporters in the crowd eagerly awaiting the kick-off, but a strong wind blowing down the pitch was set to spoil proceedings. A loud cheer could be heard from the home crowd when Rangers won the toss and chose to play with the wind. A John Hope shot soon shaved the woodwork as Rangers took full advantage of conditions. However, the Saint's, recognising the magnitude of the task ahead, reverted to unsportsmanlike tactics. They kicked into touch with every possible opportunity in a bid to waste time until the elements were in their favour. Alnwick prevented Berwick from scoring for more than half an hour and it took a penalty kick to open the scoring when Drysdale was tripped in the box and Willie Hope converted. From the kick-off, Rangers attacked again, and Redfearn rushed the ball through to put Berwick two ahead before the cross over. However, playing against the wind Rangers, like true sportsmen, refused to adopt the tricks that their opponents used so successfully and played an open game. It was a bad policy, however, as within ten minutes of the start Alnwick were level, thanks to Halley and Smith. Berwick worked hard, but there was little they could do against the wind and a good piece of work down the right by the visitors resulted in O'Brien netting the winner.


4. Berwick Rangers travelled to Cramlington to take on a full eleven of the Percy Villa and returned with their first league away win. Playing downhill, the home side took a first-minute lead when Beattie caught onto a miskick by Willie Hope and his wind assisted cross found the back of the net. A few minutes later, Rangers had the chance to level matters when they were awarded a penalty. Willie Hope took the kick, but Oliver, poised a yard or so off his line, tipped the ball over the crossbar. A misunderstanding in the Berwick defence gave Marley the opportunity to score Villa's second as Rangers finished the first half in disarray. Overall, the first half was a scrappy affair, but towards the interval Villa were unlucky not to extend their lead further with a couple of decent chances. The game livened up after the change of ends, with both teams showing more energy. With a tighter defence, Rangers and had most of the play, but lacked confidence in the shooting department. Berwick then made a bold move in switching to just one at the back for the last twenty minutes. Rangers put heavy pressure on the home goal and were soon rewarded when Ord pulled a goal back. A minute later, Smith equalised from a Davis cross and with less than ten minutes remaining Drysdale put in the third and winning goal.

11. Berwick Rangers were the better of the two teams and deserved their 3-1 home win against Broomhill Rovers. It took them only three minutes to open the scoring when Ord put a neatly taken free kick by John Hope into the net. Broomhill fought back and, ten minutes later, they were on level terms when Hartley beat Allan with a low shot. Rangers resumed the attack and just before half-time Burgon scored with a close-range shot from a Davies back-heel following a corner. Rangers showed a marked improvement in the second half, hemming Broomhill in their own half for long periods, and after a few unsuccessful attempts on goal Ord scored a third to seal both points.

18. Berwick Rangers travelled to Ashington to play Hirst Colliery "without hopes" in a double sense. The Hope brothers were unable to travel due to a family bereavement and, with Brodie, Blythe and Burgon also on the absentee list, Rangers were forced to play with a beat-up eleven and a fair bit of team reshuffling. Despite this, Rangers took the game to their hosts and, from a well-placed corner kick, Ben Roughead cut the ball back for his brother Tom to score on the half-hour mark. Hirst then defended en masse, and chances were few and far between. However, three minutes after the teams crossed over, Hirst equalised when Harris played a neat pass to Nuttall, who then gave the keeper a shot he could not save. Both teams battled hard but with only two minutes to go and a draw looking like a fair result, Nuttall, who was in a rather shady position, poked the ball home to give the Miners an undeserved win.


4. Berwick Rangers were back to full strength for the visit of Pegswood and only the sterling strength of the visitor's defence kept them at bay. However, in the 10th minute, excellent work by Davis and Drysdale forced Lewis to leave his line to clear, and Drysdale tipped the ball past him for the opening goal. Tom Roughead extended the lead with a rocket shot before Blythe gave Berwick a 3-0 interval lead with a swift, low shot. Rangers started the second half strongly and Roughead was unlucky when he shot hard but wide. Pegswood reduced the leeway in the 50th minute when Simmons headed in following a corner. It looked as if they would pierce the home rearguard for a second time, but the danger was averted when a quick break by Alex Hope ended when both he and Roughead kicked the same ball to beat the advancing keeper with a shot that hardly had the strength as it crawled over the line. Pegswood were not disheartened by this reverse, and they continued to attack. Later, good work down the right by Blythe and Tom Roughead ended with Blythe unleashing a shot that found the top corner of the net for a fifth Berwick goal. However, not to be outdone, the visitors had the last of the scoring chances when a clearance by Allan was returned by Lough; the home keeper completely misjudged the ball and it dropped over the line.

11. Berwick Rangers were rather unfortunate not to take both points in their return league match against an unchanged Pegswood side a week later. A Tom Roughead goal in the 15th minute secured a slender lead that they held onto until the final minutes, only for the home side to equalise. Allan had held onto the ball for too long, and when rushed by the home forwards he dropped it and Simmons poked the ball home.

18. A large contingent of Berwick supporters made the journey to Howling Lane, Alnwick, to watch Berwick Rangers take on Alnwick St James'. A rebound from a Drysdale shot was pounced upon by Blythe, who volleyed it into the net with a powerful shot, to put Rangers in front after only five minutes. The home keeper then made a series of fine saves from Drysdale, Blythe and Tom Roughead to deny the Berwickers, before a scorcher from Ben Roughead was only partly cleared, and his brother rattled it into the net. Two-nil down with only five minutes gone, things looked black for Alnwick and tempers flared. Drysdale was sent off for retaliation after a bad tackle and the home side held a slight playing advantage. O'Brien, latching onto a poor back pass by Willie Hope, scored with a low shot and Allan had to save brilliantly to keep Berwick's lead intact at half-time. Rangers rearranged their team at the interval and played a more defensive role in the second half and, with no more scoring from either side, they secured two valuable away points.

25. Berwick Rangers entertained Hirst Colliery on a rain-drenched Union Park. The match was fast but spoiled by a heavy downpour of rain. The opening stages were in the favour of Hirst and Rangers looked slow in defence. After battling the early storm, Berwick fought their way back into the match and opened the scoring when Blythe volleyed into the net with a left-footed shot following a Willie Hope free kick. Play then settled in midfield for a while before Tom Roughead banged home Rangers' second as the rain began to fall. The conditions played a major part in the second half proceedings when Roughead took a pot shot at the Hirst goal. Bland caught the ball but then dropped it due to the greasy conditions and, trying to clear, Willis put the ball past his own keeper for Berwick's third. Roughead was again on the scoresheet a few minutes later, banging in number four before Blythe hit the side netting with a stinging shot. Rangers then settled down, evidently content with their haul, and Hirst slowly took up the running. Pirt sent in a hot shot, which Willie Hope only partly cleared, and Allan pinned the ball against the upright. Whether the ball was through or not was doubtful, but the referee ruled a goal. This put new life into the Colliers with the remainder of the game was played end-to-end until the final whistle blew, and the rain drenched and be-draggled players gladly retired.


1. Miserable weather was again the curse of the day when Berwick Rangers took on Amble in a heavy but evenly contested affair. Rangers pressed from the kick-off and from a corner kick Blythe found Bruce, who headed into the net with only a minute played. Amble then had their turn in attack and Allan had to look sharp to keep them out. However, shortly before half-time, Drysdale tricked his way through the visiting defence and score a superb second for Berwick. After the interval, Amble played some fine passing football, considering the conditions, resulting in Cuthbertson scoring. It turned out to be only a consolation goal, however, as both teams adopted a defensive nature and Rangers edged a 2-1 victory.

8. Bedlington United, the only unbeaten team in the Northumberland League, were the visitors at Union Park. This time, the weather was favourable, and a crowd of just under two thousand turned out to watch. Rangers were under pressure from the start and were a goal down in less than five minutes when Tellum pounced on a slow clearance by Allan to score. Bedlington continued to press and were awarded a controversial penalty a minute or two later. Alex Hope was judged to have fouled an opponent in the area, when it was in fact his brother who he fouled. However, justice was done when Allan saved the penalty. Just ten minutes from the start, Rangers found themselves two down when Rutherford scored a second for the Terriers. Rangers then got the upper hand and had a strong penalty appeal turned down by the referee, after Drysdale had been blatantly flattened in the box, amid boos and hisses from the crowd, who had a difference of opinion with many of his decisions. Just before the interval, Rangers were unlucky when Renner saved on his line but could not hold the ball; Drysdale ran in to hit the rebound home, but Froud nipped in at the last second and cleared. In the second half, it was all Berwick. Time and time again they attacked the Bedlington goal but their poor finishing, including a tremendous shot from Tom Roughead that rebounded from the crossbar, was to cost them dear. Alex Hope eventually found the net for the Berwickers with five minutes remaining. Buckham and Froud put up a stout defence to hold the Terriers' now slender lead as Rangers searched frantically for the leveller but, unfortunately, it was a case of too little too late. At the final whistle it was only the quick intervention of the Rangers' committee that saved the referee from "ill-usage" as the baying crowd vented their anger at some of his decisions that they thought cost them at least a share of the points.

Berwick Rangers and Blythe Spartans were ordered by the committee of the Cairns Charity Cup to replay their semi-final match at New Delaval during the week commencing Friday 14th April. Due to the short notice and distance, Berwick Rangers scratched from the competition, leaving Blyth to contest the final against Bedlington United.

15. Due to Berwick Rangers having a league free Saturday, a friendly fixture with newly crowned Border League Champions, Tweedside Albion, took place at the Union Park. Although the day was cold and foggy, a large crowd turned out to watch and the enthusiasm was equally as strong as on previous occasions when the two local rivals had met. Albion started strongly and did most of the attacking. However, Rangers were not long in getting into their stride and Blythe missed a great chance from a centre delivered by new player Roger Goldie, from Horncliffe, before Tom Roughead put Berwick ahead from a Smith cross. Albion made a strenuous effort to equalise; however, the home defence was in no mood to surrender and Smith put the Rangers two-up with a cracking shot after catching the Tweedsiders on the break. The game became a one-sided affair as Rangers took control, showing the gulf in class that had opened between the two sides. After the interval, Alex Hope intercepted a through ball; he played it to Smith, who found Tom Roughead, and the forward beat Short with ease. Albion did manage to get a few shots on target late on, but as they pressed, gaps were left at the back, and Smith took full advantage to net a fourth and final goal.

Berwick Rangers should have had a busy time during the Easter weekend with three Northumberland League matches due to be played at the Union Park against Seaton Burn Wanderers on Good Friday, Seaton Delaval on Saturday and Bates Wanderers on Easter Monday. Seaton Burn cancelled their fixture and resigned from the Northumberland League, along with East Holywell Villa and Hirst Colliery. Bates Wanderers and Seaton Delaval refused to travel on the grounds of travel expenses being too high to justify fulfilling the fixture. Friendly matches against Duns and Rutherford College Casuals were hastily arranged to fill the vacant dates.

22. In the match against Duns, Smith put Rangers ahead after only three minutes, but the visitors had the run of play for the remainder of the half and deservedly equalised before the interval through Blaikie. However, Berwick turned up the heat in the second half with goals from Alex Hope, Drysdale and Tom Roughead securing an easy victory over the Border League runners-up.

24. Rutherford College Casuals, who were on tour in the area, were beaten 6-1 in a bank holiday Monday friendly. Rangers easily overpowered the Newcastle side, with a hat trick by Alex Hope, a brace by Ben Roughead and a Drysdale goal doing the damage. The Casuals replied with a late Coxon consolation.

The affairs of the Northumberland League were in a bad way, caused mainly by the outspread of the participating teams. Berwick Rangers, along with Alnwick St James, Amble and Broomhill Rovers were asked to tender their resignations due to the travelling distance and expenses incurred. The journey to Berwick, especially, meant about £4 for travelling and a loss of a half-day to the visiting team. It was intended that only clubs from the southeast corner of the county should be included for the following season with the league reverting to its original name of the East Northumberland League.

When Rangers had sought admission to the league, they suggested that they would offer financial assistance to the poorer clubs in the aid of travelling expenses. To their credit, they kept their word by offering 15 shillings toward the total cost. Seaton Burn had complained that it was not enough, while Hirst accepted gratefully and stated that it was costing the Rangers money for points at home.

It was about halfway through the season when the difficulty of expenses to visiting teams arose, causing no end of trouble and the cancellation of several fixtures. Rangers were handicapped by their late application to join the Northumberland League. Consequently, they had to play several away games at the beginning of the season. It left a few important home games until the final week of the season, which were unfulfilled. Despite this, Rangers finished equal seventh out of the eleven teams that completed the season.

Calls for the formation of a new senior North Northumberland League, with the inclusion of teams such as Berwick Rangers, Alnwick St James, Alnwick Percy Rovers, Broomhill Rovers, Tweedside Albion and a few of the present leading teams in the Border League, were then heard in the north of the county.

Later, at a meeting of the Northumberland League, held at Bedlington, the chief item of business was as to the exact radius that the league operations should extend. A resolution was moved to the effect that the northern extremity of the league would be Alnwick. The secretary said that he would like to be honest and straightforward in the matter and state that the resolution was framed for the exclusion of Berwick Rangers. Berwick's representative at the meeting said that the club was prepared to undertake all travel expenses of league clubs for the journey from Alnwick to Berwick, and he moved, as an amendment, that the area remain as at present. The amendment was lost by seven votes to five, and the resolution was adopted. At the same time, Rangers were informed that if a vacancy arose, the club could apply for admission and their offer concerning travelling expenses would be considered.

However, Rangers set their sights on higher ground and applied to join the Northern Alliance League, but again, owing to the club's geographical location, their application was firmly rejected and as a consequence the club looked to the north and Scotland.