2010/11: Jekyll & Hyde


Date C V Opposition Res Pos Att i
Jul 31 LC 1 A Peterhead L 0-1 399
Aug 7 L3 A Albion Rovers D 2-2 5 369
10 CC 2 A Partick Thistle L 1-2 931
14 L3 H Elgin City W 6-2 2 409
21 L3 A Clyde W 4-1 1 722
28 L3 A Queen's Park W 2-0 1 479
Sep 11 L3 H Arbroath W 4-1 1 441
18 L3 H Stranraer D 2-2 1 489
25 L3 A East Stirlingshire D 0-0 1 383
Oct 2 L3 H Annan Athletic D 2-2 2 448
16 L3 A Montrose D 1-1 3 376
23 SC 2 A Clyde W 2-1 534
30 L3 H Queen's Park D 1-1 3 520
Nov 6 L3 A Arbroath L 2-3 3 402
13 L3 H Clyde W 2-1 4 432
20 SC 3 A Cove Rangers W 3-0 250
Dec 11 L3 A Stranraer D 1-1 3 267
Date C V Opposition Res Pos Att i
Jan 9 SC 4 H Celtic L 0-2 3877
15 L3 H Arbroath L 0-4 5 369
22 L3 A Queen's Park L 0-1 6 485
29 L3 A East Stirlingshire L 0-1 6 341
Feb 12 L3 H Annan Athletic L 2-3 7 311
15 L3 A Clyde L 0-2 7 385
19 L3 A Montrose D 1-1 7 301
22 L3 H Montrose W 1-0 7 285
26 L3 A Albion Rovers W 1-0 7 373
Mar 1 L3 A Annan Athletic D 1-1 7 309
5 L3 H Elgin City W 4-0 7 305
8 L3 H East Stirlingshire W 3-0 6 266
12 L3 A Arbroath L 1-2 6 491
15 L3 H Albion Rovers L 1-6 6 255
19 L3 H Queen's Park W 3-1 6 398
22 L3 A Elgin City W 2-1 6 412
26 L3 H East Stirlingshire D 1-1 5 367
29 L3 H Stranraer D 3-3 6 297
Apr 2 L3 A Stranraer L 1-3 6 331
9 L3 H Montrose L 0-1 6 359
16 L3 A Annan Athletic W 3-2 6 515
23 L3 H Clyde D 1-1 6 427
30 L3 A Elgin City L 2-3 6 496
May 7 L3 H Albion Rovers D 2-2 6 436
Scottish Football League
Division 3
Home Away
    Pld W D L F A W D L F A GD Pts
1 Arbroath 36 11 4 3 39 24 9 2 7 41 37 19 66
2 Albion Rovers 36 9 4 5 25 16 8 6 4 31 24 16 61
3 Queen's Park 36 10 3 5 31 17 8 2 8 26 26 14 59
4 Annan Athletic 36 8 5 5 32 25 8 6 4 26 20 13 59
5 Stranraer 36 10 4 4 39 25 5 8 5 33 32 15 57
6 Berwick Rangers 36 7 7 4 38 31 5 6 7 24 25 6 49
7 Elgin City 36 8 2 8 30 29 5 4 9 23 34 -10 45
8 Montrose 36 6 4 8 28 27 4 3 11 19 34 -14 37
9 East Stirlingshire 36 6 3 9 18 27 4 1 13 15 35 -29 34
10 Clyde 36 4 5 9 23 31 4 3 11 14 36 -30 32
Arbroath promoted as champions. Albion Rovers promoted as play-off winners.

Competition Results

Appearances & Goals

Manager: Jimmy Crease.
Alan Brazil 15 17 5 1 1 1 2 1
Stuart Callaghan 20
Lee Currie 16 2
Paul Currie 29 1 12 1 1 3 1
Jamie Ewart 19 5
Kevin Gordon 16 14 1 1 1 1
John Grant 16 2
Damon Gray 11 6 8
David Greenhill 26 4 2 1 1 3 1
Darren Gribben 28 3 17 1 1 2
Ryan Holms 2 1 1
Guy Kerr 1
Ian Little 10 9 2 1 1
Eddie Malone 1
Ian McCaldon 15 1 1 1
Fraser McLaren 11 5 1 1 2
Andy McLean 36 2 1 1 1 3
Chris McLeod 26 1 2 1 1 3
Paul McMullan 12 2 1 1 2 1 2
Kevin Motion 1
Kristian Neil 2
Steven Notman 29 1 1 3
Gary O'Connor 1
Craig O'Reilly 15 7 6 1 1 1
Mark Peat 21 3
Arran Ponton 2 6 1
Stuart Roseburgh 1
Elliott Smith 16 2 1 1 3
Stephen Thomson 5 2
own goals 1
Number of Players Used: 29

It was three in and four out as Jimmy Crease built his squad for the new season. Shielfield regulars Paul McMullan and David Greenhill both agreed new terms along with Guy Kerr, the central defender, who played out the final months of last season on loan from East Fife. McMullan, Greenhill and Kerr joined goalkeeper Mark Peat, central defenders Jamie Ewart and Andy McLean, captain Stuart Callaghan, midfielders Fraser McLaren, Paul Currie, Stevie Notman and striker Alan Brazil as definite starters. A contract was offered to last season's leading scorer Damon Gray, who had been offered a full-time deal with a club in Sweden. Meanwhile, Rangers officially parted company with long-serving Robbie Horn, utility player Graham Guy, midfielder Oliver Russell and Chris McMenamin, who had spent most of last season out on loan.


Player coach Ian Little, full-back Elliot Smith and second-choice keeper Ian McCaldon also put pen to paper. Rangers' old boy Kevin Gordon, previously with Forfar Athletic, returned to Shielfield, with new signing Chris McLeod, a defender, who was previously with Stenhousemuir, taking the player pool up to 16. Jimmy Crease said he was looking at several other players who were training with the squad and was keen to add to his numbers, particularly in attack, where currently Alan Brazil was the only confirmed starter. One player Berwick missed out on was midfielder Jay Shields, who joined Arbroath after spending the last few months of last season on loan at Shielfield from Cowdenbeath.

Berwick's build-up to the new season commenced on Saturday 10th July with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Blyth Spartans in the Northumberland County Council Unification Plate at Croft Park. The build-up continued with three matches in the space of seven days. On Tuesday 13th they beat Stenhousemuir 4-3 at Ochilview, where new striker Craig O'Reilly was on target. On Saturday 17th they drew 1-1 at home against Raith Rovers, and on Monday 19th they lost 0-5 against a Sunderland XI at Shielfield Park. Rangers concluded their pre-season friendlies with a hard-earned but deserved draw against SPL side St Johnstone on Friday 23rd. Jimmy Crease said his team would go into the new season with optimism after watching his side earn a gallant 0-0 draw and proved their fitness level.

After the friendlies, the club confirmed the signing of striker Darren Gribben, who returned for a second spell at Shielfield Park. Gribben spent last season playing Junior football with Bo'ness United, where he was a regular goalscorer, and Crease said that if he could continue in that vein, he should prove a valuable acquisition. "We know what we are getting with Darren," Crease said. "He has frailties, but he's a proven goalscorer." Gribben's arrival brought the Berwick squad to 18 and Crease said that he hoped to add one more before the kick-off. "We have several irons in the fire," he said, "and hopefully we can get another player on board, which would keep us in budget, but we will just have to wait and see how things develop." However, it was confirmed that Stuart Callaghan would miss the start of the season after breaking his ankle in the game against Raith Rovers. Later, Berwick completed the signing of Ryan Holmes who played as a trialist during the pre-season friendlies. The 23-year-old midfielder was a regular in the Queen's Park squad last season and brought the squad total for the new season to 19.

31. A late goal ended any hope of a Co-operative Cup first round upset at Peterhead, with the outcome of the match not being decided until they finally conceded just eight minutes from time when Wyness rose highest to meet Bavidge's centre to give Peterhead victory. The home side had slightly the better of both halves but failed to seriously threaten the Berwick goal. Sharp fired over at the near post after some neat interplay with Wyness after seven minutes before Mann and Moore wasted chances. Just before the half-hour mark, Sharp played Bavidge through with a neat ball, but the striker saw his left-foot effort easily held by McCaldon. A minute later, Bavidge shot wide on the turn, after good work down the right by Wyness. Two minutes before the interval, Wyness crossed for Moore, who saw his header from 6 yards hooked off the line by Smith, and a minute later McCaldon saved well from Emslie's 25-yard left- footed shot. Although most of the chances were falling to the home side, Berwick were playing some neat football at times, with the pace of wide men McLaren and McMullan causing problems, and their defence looking solid. The second half followed in a similar pattern. Wyness and Moore sent long range shots wide, while at the other end McMullan and McLaren combined for Berwick's best chance when the latter headed down from the former's cross only to see Jarvie push the ball away stunningly to keep the score level. Peterhead responded with Wyness creating space with a neat step-over, but McCaldon easily saved his 20-yard shot. With extra-time looming, the home side threw on Gethins for Sharp, and the move paid immediate dividends. Bavidge moved out to the right flank, and two minutes later he delivered a superb cross into the box for Wyness to headed home.


7. Paul Currie grabbed a late equaliser to snatch Berwick a point in a 2-2 draw in their league opener against Albion Rovers at Coatbridge. Rangers were denied all three points by a comedy bobble just as Currie was poised to slot home a last-minute winner. However, it would have been harsh on a Rovers side who threatened regularly during the second half after Rangers had controlled the first. Rovers were quicker out of the blocks and were unlucky not to take the lead on nine minutes when McLeod thundered a 30-yard drive off McCaldon's right hand post. However, Rangers began to find their feet and put the home defence under pressure without really testing Gaston in goal. It came as a surprise when McLeod put Rovers ahead in the 29th minute with a tidy finish. McLeod looked set to head clear Benton's long shot, but he seemed to get a shout from McCaldon to leave the ball for him and McLeod took advantage of the confusion and nipped in between defender and keeper to stab the ball home from five yards. Albion's lead lasted just over two minutes. Berwick drew level courtesy of another defensive mistake. Benton was woefully short with a header back to his keeper and Gordon seized the moment and slotted the ball home from close range. Rovers looked a much more determined outfit after the break, while Rangers, in complete contrast, just never got started. Their play became ragged, and the defence looked increasingly disjointed. Rovers missed a sitter on the hour mark when McLeod hoofed wide, after Greenhill had carelessly lost the ball in a dangerous area, and on 74th minutes Donnelly volleyed straight at McCaldon, who needed two attempts to gather the ball. Albion's pressure paid dividends with 11 minutes left when Canning threaded a pass behind Smith for substitute Smith to run onto and slot under McCaldon from an acute angle. Rangers freshened their attack with the introduction of Brazil, Holms and Gribben, and it did the trick. With five minutes remaining, Holmes and Brazil attacked down Rovers' right and as the ball broke to Currie, he skewed a low shot past Gaston and in off the post. The equaliser knocked the stuffing out of Rovers and Rangers looked the more likely winners in the remaining few minutes. With the last move of the game, Gribben outstripped the Rovers defence down the left and sent the perfect pass to Currie, who ran on to the ball 10 yards out with only Gaston to beat, but the ball took a bobbled on the uneven surface just as he was about to shoot.

10. A disciplined defensive performance against First Division Partick Thistle at Firhill was not enough for Berwick Rangers to retain their interest in the Challenge Cup. Andy McLean surprisingly gave Berwick the lead just before the half-hour mark but Partick levelled four minutes from the interval through Paul Cairney and David Rowson gave Thistle a 79th minute winner. The home side dominated from the start, but Rangers inflicted plenty of shaky moments on a Thistle side clearly lacking in early season confidence. However, the main feature of the first half was Flannigan's corners which were causing panic in the Berwick defence. As early as the 10th minute, Grehan nodded a Flannigan corner inches wide from a good central position. Currie then forced Halliwell into a fingertip save in the 20th minute to remind the home side that Rangers were not there just to make up the numbers. McCaldon did well to block a Buchanan charge before McLean put Berwick in front on 28 minutes when he crashed home a McMullan corner with a low six-yard effort. Gribben should have extended Rangers' lead on the half hour mark but failed to trouble Halliwell from a great position. The home side hit back when a Flannigan corner was cleared to Cairney who cracked in a rising shot from the edge of the box that was deflected high past McCaldon five minutes before the turnaround. After the break McCaldon saved well from Cairney and then pushed away a Rowson rocket. However, Rowson was not to be denied. After Flannigan had gone close with a 25-yard free kick, Paton's cross was knocked home by Rowson with ten minutes remaining. Three minutes later O'Reilly shot inches wide from distance as Rangers strove to find the equaliser, but it just was not to be. Beaten but by no means disgraced, Rangers left the field proud of their efforts, having given a good account of themselves against a team from two leagues above.

14. A hat-trick from Darren Gribben helped Berwick to an emphatic 6-2 league win over Elgin City at Shielfield Park. Rangers were 4-0 up and cruising at the interval with goals by McLeod, Gribben (2) and O'Reilly. Gribben completed his hat-trick just after the interval and Currie made it six without reply before Berwick went off the boil and Elgin scored twice to reduce the deficit. McLeod put Rangers ahead with a fifth-minute side-foot finish in a crowded goalmouth from a Paul McMullan's in swinging corner. Gribben doubled the tally six minutes later when O'Reilly controlled a goal-line clearance from a McMullan shot and played it for Gribben to score from 12-yards out with a low left foot drive. Gribben was then left furious when appeared to be pulled down inside the box and appeals for a penalty went unheeded. Gribben was shown a yellow card for his protest but produced an immediate response with a glorious 18-yard volley from the right of the box that curled past the helpless Dunn into the far corner of the net just 30 seconds later. A slack clearance from McLean almost let Wilson in for an Elgin chance, but his shot was deflected wide, and nothing was made of the resultant corner. With Berwick looking very threatening up front it was no real surprise when O'Reilly added to the score in the 39th minute after Notman made a surging run from the halfway line and shrugging off a tackle before neatly playing in O'Reilly who finished with a stunning 20-yard shot. At the start of the second half Berwick continued where they left off in the first with two quick-fire goals. Gribben was on the mark again on 50 minutes when he stroked the ball home after being set up by Greenhill, who squared the ball to him after Notman's cross was only half cleared, and two minutes later Currie made it six without reply when he beat the offside trap and neatly slotted the ball into the net after rounding the keeper. Currie then hit the post with a fierce shot before Elgin reduced their arrears with a 57th minute penalty after Smith was harshly judged to have pushed Millar. After such a soft penalty, Rangers went off the boil and Elgin had their best spell of the match, cumulating with substitute MacLeod bagging a second for City with a low strike from the left with ten minutes remaining.

21. A Paul Currie brace helped Berwick power to a convincing 4-1 win at Clyde as classy Rangers blasted their way to the top of the table. Clyde opened brightly with a Dingwall header testing keeper McCaldon. However, Berwick replied with a goal after eight minutes when Notman powered forward and let fly from 30 yards, Hutchison seemed to have it well covered, but the ball deflected off the outstretched leg of defender Lithgow and into the net. Berwick's front two of Gribben and O'Reilly were giving the home defence a torrid time and O'Reilly brought a fine save from Hutchison before he somehow managed to drag a McMullen cross just wide of a gaping target. Rangers then had a narrow escape when McCusker headed against the bar from a Strachan corner, and his follow-up was cleared off the line by McMullan as Clyde ended the half on top. Berwick conceded the equaliser after 59 minutes when McCusker gave his marker the slip to head home a Strachan corner, but the reverse only inspired Berwick to take control. Just five minutes later Gribben provided a neat through ball which Currie converted courtesy of some slack defending to put Berwick back in front, and it was effectively game over in the 69th minute when O'Reilly bundled home Smith's free kick after Hutchison had blocked the striker's initial effort. With six minutes remaining Gribben's pin-point cross found Currie in acres of space, and he rounded the keeper before rolling home Berwick's fourth from an acute angle.

Berwick boss Jimmy Crease was rewarded for his team's fine start to the season by being named Irn-Bru Manager of the Month for August, but ever the diplomat, Crease was quick to deflect the attention away from himself by claiming the award was for recognition for all the hard work put in by everyone at the club over the past few months.

28. A Hampden win was a stroll in the park as Berwick consolidated their lead at the top of the Third Division table with a surprisingly comfortable 2-0 win over a disappointing Queen's Park at the national stadium, with goals from a Darren Gribben penalty and Chris McLeod sealing the points. Rangers controlled the game from start to finish and could have won by a bigger margin had Lady Luck been on their side. A poor first half saw little in the way of chances with the home side failing to create a decent opening. It was Berwick who looked the more comfortable going forward and they got their reward on 29 minutes when Gribben was fouled in the penalty box by Brough. Gribben converted the spot-kick to give Rangers the lead. Queen's only real chance came when Longworth turned McLean on the edge of the Rangers penalty area only to be denied by a brilliant last-gasp tackle from Notman. After a brief flurry of Queen's activity early in the second half, Gordon missed a sitter when he got the ball stuck between his feet after a clearance ricocheted to him right in front of the home goal. However, Berwick doubled their lead on 52 minutes when Gribben raced clear of the defence down the left and unselfishly provided the perfect delivery for O'Reilly to steer home from six yards. O'Reilly then missed with a point-blank header from a McMullan cross, before Gribben was unlucky to have what appeared to be a perfectly good goal disallowed. Berwick nearly extended their lead when they hit the woodwork, after a McMullan corner, and minutes later a McLeod shot was hacked off the line. Chances were scarce for Queen's, but Murray was unlucky to see a shot brilliantly tipped over, courtesy of the woodwork, by Peat on the hour mark and saw a superb dipping volley that hit the top of the bar with twelve minutes remaining. However, Rangers played time out with some superb passing football to go two points clear at the top of the table.


11. Rangers continued their explosive start to the season by out classing second placed Arbroath in another impressive display at Shielfield Park. Darren Gribben was the star of the show with his second hat-trick in back-to-back home games. A three-goal burst in a seven-minute spell midway through the first half killed off a lacklustre Arbroath side whose first meaningful strike on goal came during injury time, when McAnespie curled an exemplary 20-yard free kick beyond Peat and into the top corner. The visitors looked neat and tidy in the early exchanges and saw plenty of possession without ever threatening Peat's goal. However, Rangers' defence looked well in control and the strike force of Gribben and O'Reilly looked menacing every time they ventured forward, Berwick went ahead in the 21st minute when Greenhill picked out O'Reilly on the edge of the box and he spun sweetly to hook home the opener well out of Hill's reach. The goal sparked a Rangers onslaught, and they doubled their lead with a superb effort from Gribben three minutes later, the striker chesting down a long Greenhill pass before volleying home from just inside the area. Arbroath looked shell-shocked and they conceded a third in the 28th minute when Gribben ran on to Currie's through ball and lobbed the advancing Hill from 15 yards out. In the five minutes before the break, McMullan and Notman sent in a stream of inviting crosses which narrowly eluded the home strikers. Rangers kept up the pressure after the break, and Gribben put the game out of Arbroath's reach with a fourth goal in the 51st minute when McLeod's defence-splitting pass sent him away to spring the visitors' offside trap and drill a low shot past the exposed Hill. For ten minutes after the fourth goal, the game had a look of a "shoot-in" about it, but after O'Reilly had a shot cleared off the line, Rangers settled for what they had which allowed Arbroath the luxury of some decent possession, although they lacked the cutting edge to do anything about it and McAnespie's stunning injury-time counter was little more than decoration.

18. Substitute Alan Brazil snatched a late leveller to cap a stunning fight back that kept Berwick Rangers top of the table. Brazil struck home for ten-man Rangers with just two minutes remaining to frustrate cross-country rivals Stranraer, who were looking on course to leapfrog into top spot. Early in the second half Rangers were 1-0 up and looked as if they might be on their way to maintaining their unbeaten start to the season. However, in the 53rd minute the game was turned on its head by the terrace side linesman. Full back Stevie Notman went to head back a routine pass to goalkeeper Peat. Everyone expected play to continue, but the linesman was waving his flag and the referee went to consult before awarding a penalty and showing Notman a straight red. It was a decision which had everyone in the ground dumbfounded. There had been no appeals from the Stranraer players, but later the referee, who clearly had not seen any infringement himself, said he had to act on the linesman's call. Notman was judged to have tugged at winger Scott Agnew's shirt, and as the last defender he had to go. It was a decision which turned the game. Unbeaten Stranraer arrived at Shielfield in second place, just two points adrift of Rangers, knowing that a victory would see them take over in pole position. From the start they adopted a long ball game, nullifying Berwick's attempts to play their usual possession football. They had clearly done their homework on Berwick, but after Gribben saw a 13th minute effort come back off the outside of the post Rangers gradually started to gain the upper hand and in the 28th minute they took the lead when Gribben grabbed his eighth of the campaign. McLeod played through a long ball and Gribben, running from just inside the Stranraer half, held off the attentions of a marker before dispatching a left foot shot low into the far corner. Just before half time O'Reilly also had the ball in the net, but Gribben, whose original effort had been blocked by goalkeeper Mitchell, was in an offside position, and was deemed by the linesman as interfering with play. After the furore at the start of the second half Agnew scored from the spot, albeit off the underside of the crossbar, to cancel out Darren Gribben's first half opener. Rangers were clearly rattled, and when centre forward Sean Winter slammed the ball into the net after it was cut back to him on 65 minutes, it looked as if Stranraer would run riot over ten-man Berwick, but Peat stood firm at the back. Paul McMullan was drafted into a defensive role and with the introduction of McLaren, Kerr and Brazil they weathered the storm. Gribben was unlucky not to level the score when his shot was blocked by the onrushing Mitchell, who spread himself well, after he outpaced the Stranraer defence from a long ball. To their credit Rangers kept pressing and Brazil bagged a dramatic 88th minute equaliser. Gribben was the provider, breaking down the left and cutting in from the bye-line before squaring the ball to substitute Brazil who turned it into the net from just a yard out to claim a deserved point.

25. Berwick Rangers turned in their poorest display of the season so far as with a goalless draw against East Stirlingshire. However, referee Steve O'Reilly attracted more attention than any of the players after his two controversial red cards helped turn the match at East Stirlingshire into a stalemate. The first came in stoppage time in the opening session when Shire's Dunn, who was deemed last man on the advice of the linesman, was dismissed for a foul on Currie. The second came in the 70th minute. David Greenhill made a hash of a straightforward back pass which Kelly picked up and homed in on goal. Peat rushed out and tackled him a foot outside the box, but the ball broke to Kelly again and Peat tackled him a second time. This time the tackle was late, but by now three defenders had got back to cover the unguarded goal. The referee awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and red-carded Peat for a professional foul, again on the advice of the linesman. Smith was the unlucky player to give way to allow substitute keeper McCaldon take over between the posts. Apart from O'Reilly's interventions there was little excitement in a first half that lacked any flow and was peppered with free kicks as both sides struggled to make the breakthrough. Shire came closest to scoring when Watt managed to get in a header which Peat turned neatly round the post. Both sides had chances to steal it near the end. Currie put O'Reilly through with only the keeper to beat, but he wasted the best chance of the match by poking the ball into the side netting. With four minutes left, Andrews saved brilliantly from Currie's superb, angled volley, before McCaldon made an excellent save to keep out a low drive from Shire's Team. A minute from time Rangers did have the ball in the net through Currie but he was ruled offside.


2. Berwick saw their reign at the top of the Third Division table ended when they were held to a 2-2 draw by Annan Athletic at Shielfield Park in a controversial match. There was yet another Rangers sending off – the third in successive games – whilst Berwick were denied by what could only be described as a heart-breaking last-minute winner. Even after the ordering-off Rangers looked like they might hold out but eventually Annan's late onslaught paid off when Steele popped up to earn a point right at the death. For the third week in a row Berwick were held to a draw after having a man sent off. Rangers got off to the perfect start when Gribben put them ahead with just sixty seconds on the clock. He latched onto a superb through ball from McMullan, cut in past his marker and fired a low shot under Jamieson from just outside the area. Rangers kept up the early pressure and McLaren was unlucky to see a low angled strike fly just past the far post before Currie fired over. Berwick were pegged back after 25 minutes when a long free kick from Jamieson was headed down by Cox and Sloan provided a clinical finish with a well-timed strike from the edge of the 18-yard box. However, Rangers regained the lead just five minutes later when Gribben's powerful 20-yard free kick took a wicked deflection off the defensive wall. O'Reilly and Gribben both squandered chances to put daylight between the teams as Berwick finished the first half well in control. Rangers were forced into a half-time change with veteran keeper Gary O'Connor, who came out of retirement to help the club out due to injuries and suspensions, getting his fourth spell at the club under way when he came on as for the injured McCaldon. There was had further team upheaval to deal with 10 minutes later when Greenhill was sent off for a second bookable offence after catching Harty. However, Annan struggled to make their extra man count and O'Connor was never really put under any pressure. Berwick should have extended their lead on 77 minutes when McLaren squandered a great chance. It looked as if Rangers would hold out for a win, but an unnecessary error by McLean deep into stoppage time gave Annan a corner from which Steele nodded in from Sloan's delivery.

Darren Gribben was awarded the IRN-BRU Ginger Boot as top scorer in the Scottish Football League for September in a ceremony at Hampden Park. Darren scored his second hat-trick of the season against Arbroath along with a goal against Stranraer to lift the award.

16. Rangers again suffered at the hands of the officials but maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a hard-fought draw at Montrose. A Darren Gribben goal after 25 minutes gave Berwick a 1-0 interval lead, but they failed to stamp their authority on the game in the second half and a soft penalty ten minutes from time gave Montrose a share of the spoils. A draw was probably a fair result with Berwick running the show in the first half and Montrose likewise in the second. Rangers threatened early on when O'Reilly cut in from the right and had a shot well saved by Bennett. Berwick looked well in control at this stage and deservedly opened the scoring on 25 minutes when O'Reilly released Gribben with a superbly weighted ball, which he took one touch of before slotting the ball home past the advancing Bennett from 18 yards. Ten minutes later, O'Reilly's flick put Gordon clean through only for his touch to let him down. Rangers ended the half comfortably in command but failed to stamp their authority on proceedings after the break. Gribben headed a Gordon cross narrowly over in the 66th minute, but with Rangers' goal threat on the wane Montrose stepped up the pressure, especially in the last half-hour. Ewart produced a brilliant defensive header from Sinclair's searching free kick before Peat had to dive full length to clutch Tosh's header at the second attempt. Berwick were by now firmly camped in their own half, but it looked as if they were going to hold out for a slender win. However, the match turned on 80 minutes when, on the linesman's say so, Montrose were awarded a soft penalty for a foul by Ewart on Sinclair and Tosh hit the spot kick in off Peats right-hand post to hand his team a share of the points.

23. Berwick Rangers progressed into the third round of the Scottish Cup with a narrow but deserved victory at Clyde on the strength of their second half performance. For long periods they were the better side but endured an early onslaught of pressure before taking their chances when it mattered in the second half. Clyde started the match in positive fashion and were unlucky not to take the lead when Finlayson's first-time effort crashed back off the inside of the post. Their dominance continued but so did the bad luck. A minute later Stewart lobbed the advancing Peat from 15 yards, only to see the ball bounce off the face of the bar before being cleared. However, almost immediately afterwards Berwick created their first opportunity of the match when McLaren squared to Gribben five yards out; a goal looked a dead cert but somehow Gribben screwed the ball wide. Rangers were more of a force after the break and O'Reilly missed a glorious chance to score when he missed a back post header, with the goal gaping. McLaren followed suit a few minutes later, heading Greenhill's 56th minute corner over from virtually underneath the bar. The deadlock was broken just after the hour mark though. Currie was offered a free header inside the box, following McMullan's perfectly delivery, and he placed the ball into the far corner past the diving Jordan Allan from 12 yards. It was not long until the score was doubled. A mistake by Park gave McMullan the space to weave past the home defence before unleashing an unstoppable shot which flew into the net off the underside of the bar. Clyde fought back, with Sweeney seeing his long-range effort bounce off the post. This time the rebound fell kindly to Finlayson, who rolled the ball home from six yards. There was still time for more action at either end. In the 81st minute, McMullan ran along the goal line before crossing to Currie, whose fizzing volley was brilliantly kept out by Allan. Clyde hit the woodwork for a fourth time when Stewart's header bounced off the bar. Currie should have scored his second and Rangers' third with the last kick of the game but slid his shot wide from 8 yards with only Allan to beat.

30. Berwick keeper Mark Peat admitted he was at fault for the goal that put Rangers on the back foot against Queen's Park at Shielfield. McBride fired Queen's Park in front with a thundering 35-yarder in the 67th minute. Even though it looked an unstoppable shot, Peat confessed he should have kept it out. However, to Berwick's credit they hit back quickly to rescue a point many would argue they hardly deserved. Their trademark slick passing football deserted them and they played long balls from back to front, and that was a style which suited Queen's Park down to the ground. In truth, it was not until they went behind that they started to show signs of what they were capable of. In an uninspired first half performance from both sides, it was the visitors who had the better of the chances, with strikers Daly and Quinn both failing to make contact when presented with possible opportunities. The diminutive Watt was a constant threat throughout the afternoon with his pace. Midway through the first half he sprinted between the Rangers' central defenders and bore down on goal, only to be denied by Peat, who rushed off his line and blocked his shot from close quarters. Early in the second half Anderson waltzed his way past two Berwick defenders before shooting weakly straight at Peat, and moments later the Berwick keeper had to be alert again, going full stretch to claw away a half-hit shot from Daly. Queen's Park took the lead with a fantastic strike from McBride on 67 minutes when he lashed in an unstoppable shot from all of 35 yards which had Peat scrambling at full stretch, and after that they almost looked as if they were prepared to shut up shop. Berwick's blushes were spared when Gribben produced another quality finish for a 75th minute equaliser when he jinked his way past two defenders before slotting the ball into the net in a crowded goalmouth. It was a rare moment of quality in a game which was devoid of goalmouth action. The goal certainly gave Rangers the spark which had been missing from their play and suddenly they were first to every ball. Some of their quick one-touch football returned and for the first time in the match they looked the better side, finishing with a flourish. Berwick enjoyed the lion's share of possession and their best chance of snatching an unlikely winner came late on when they forced a series of corners which caused a few moments of anguish in the visitors' defence.


6. Berwick Rangers' eleven match unbeaten league run came to an end at Gayfield Park after an improving Arbroath outfit took full advantage of a poor performance by their visitors. Arbroath deserved their victory with Swankie, Sheerin and Doris causing the Berwick defence more problems than any other side this season. The game started at a frantic pace. Five minutes in, McMullan sped past Rattray and crossed beautifully to the back post where McLaren's header was blocked for a corner. With nine minutes gone and Rangers looking relatively comfortable, Notman set McMullan up for a dipping 25-yard volley which soared over Hill's goal. It was far from one-way traffic though and left back Thomson produced a great defensive header in the 11th minute to deny Doris. Brazil gave Berwick the lead on 19 minutes when he was on hand to slot home from close range after goalkeeper Hill had palmed away McLeod's powerful header. The advantage was short-lived, however, as the home side equalised 8 minutes later. A clearance bounced off Thompson's chest to Durnan, who slid the loose ball past Peat from 8 yards out. The home side stepped up the pressure and, on the half-hour mark, they forged ahead when a free kick by Swankie deflected off Doris and out of Peat's reach. Seven minutes from the break, Peat spilled another Swankie free kick, but McLean managed to hack the ball clear before Arbroath could take advantage. Arbroath picked up where they left off after the interval with Swankie shooting over in the 47th minute when well placed before McLean gave Berwick a lift with a 52nd minute equaliser. From a free kick wide on the left, Hill could only parry Notman's shot, and McLean rose above McAnespie to power a header into the back of the net. The goal rallied Rangers and for the next 10 minutes the game was anyone's, though Sheerin twice fired past Peat's goal as Arbroath pushed to regain the lead. Gribben shot straight at Hill on the hour-mark, before McLeod hammered a shot inches wide with Rangers enjoying their best spell of pressure. However, Berwick's attack was weakened with the loss of Gribben and Notman to injury and they finally succumbed in the 82nd minute. McLaren gave the ball away allowing Arbroath to break at pace down the left and Swankie slotted past Peat from close range after Rangers were carved wide open.

13. Berwick Rangers got out of jail as they hit bottom side Clyde with two late goals at Shielfield Park to register their first win in seven games. Clyde had deservedly taken the lead and looked to heading towards victory before Rangers struck. In a dreadful game, Berwick, without the services of Gribben and Greenhill, showed little of the quality that they displayed earlier in the season with the number of crossfield balls that were easily intercepted by the visitors, who had long spells of unproductive pressure, been well into double figures. Berwick applied early pressure and Notman lofted in a high ball which Hutchison was forced to fist away. On the stroke of half-time Notman had a chance to break the deadlock when well-placed but headed narrowly over from a McMullan cross. Rangers raised the tempo after the break, only for Brazil to round off a fine move with a weak finish. However, Lithgow edged Clyde in front on 63 minutes with a blistering strike from 25 yards after Paterson slipped him a short free kick. Berwick then had a couple of anxious moments. Sawyers should have doubled Clyde's tally minutes later but headed inches wide from a free kick with the goal at his mercy and then Peat had to save with his feet from Strachan as the ball bounced around the penalty area. This served as a wake-up call and after a double substitution Berwick hit back on 79 minutes with substitute Little equalising with a glancing header from an acute angle at the near post following a perfectly placed McMullan cross. Two minutes later Currie edged Rangers in front from the penalty spot after Lithgow was sent off for a deliberately handling a goal bound effort from McLean on the line. Little had a superb chance to put the result beyond doubt in a one-on-one situation with Hutchison after quick turn and run from just inside the Clyde half, but the keeper stopped what would have been a certain goal with his legs before grabbing the loose ball.

20. David Greenhill scored a wonder goal as Berwick eased into the fourth round of the Scottish Cup with a comprehensive 3-0 win at Highland League side Cove Rangers. Alan Brazil headed Berwick in front before Greenhill doubled the advantage and Paul McMullan killed off the Cove resistance with a third midway through the second half. Cove pinned Berwick back in the early stages. In the second minute Milne got in behind Thomson only for his cross to be blocked for a corner, and a minute later he cracked a speculative volley over Peat's bar. However, Berwick came more into the game and in the 12th minute McKenzie spilled Brazil's low cross but found time to gather before Notman got to the rebound. Notman headed inches wide in the 22nd minute. Two minutes later McMullan slid an angled shot narrowly wide before McLeod headed just past the post. Rangers took the lead that their play deserved after 26 minutes when Smith sent in a cross at the perfect height for Brazil to angle a powerful header out of McKenzie's reach. Cove should have equalised two minutes later, after Peat's impetus carried him out of the box when gathering a through ball, but Black inexplicably headed over from point blank range from the resultant free kick. Rangers took full advantage of their escape when Greenhill doubled their lead on the half-hour with a stunning goal when he cut in from the right touchline, skipped past several Cove players, and coolly slotted past the keeper from 20 yards. Six minutes later, Gordon sent a first-time half volley from Brazil's cross over McKenzie's bar as Rangers began to tighten their grip. Five minutes from the break, Peat's clearing punch fell to Watson, but he fired over the exposed goal. Cove started the second half as they did the first. Watson's flicked header came back off the post and Black wasted a good chance when he shot across the goal. Notman missed a 46th minute clearance, allowing Milne in on Peat only for the striker to send his chip over the bar. Five minutes later, Milne's low shot clipped the outside of Peat's post as Cove fought desperately to haul themselves back into the game. Gordon and Notman relieved the pressure with a 56th minute breakout but were denied by McKenzie. Just before the hour mark, Rangers were caught upfield, allowing Cove to break in numbers, but Black sent his low shot skidding inches wide. However, McMullan finally laid the Cove resistance to rest with Rangers' third goal in the 67th minute. Brazil made good ground down Cove's right flank before firing in a superb cross which McMullan headed home from 3 yards out. Berwick should have added further to their tally. In the 73rd minute McKenzie pulled off a superb save to end a four-on-one break and with a minute to go McMullan's infield burst was crudely halted on the edge of the box and Greenhill bent the free kick inches wide.


The town of Berwick was once again engulfed by a wave of Scottish Cup fever after Berwick Rangers were handed a dream fourth round tie at home to Celtic. The news that the game would be screened live on Sky Sports merely heightened the sense of anticipation. The club hoped to bank more than £80,000 from Sky TV and with gate receipts from a maximum 4139 crowd, programme sales plus other corporate ventures. However, preparations for the Celtic match were put on hold due to the severest winter weather to hit the whole country and especially the town of Berwick for many a year, with ten inches of snow covering Shielfield Park.

11. In all, five matches were postponed due to the severe conditions, but the match against the league leaders at Stranraer on December 11th was one of the few in Scotland to beat the weather. After taking a second minute lead through Alan Brazil it looked as if Rangers would hang on for a welcome victory. However, with less than five minutes of normal time remaining Stranraer managed to snatch a late equaliser. Berwick made a flying start and took the lead with the first attack of the game when Brazil bundled home Gordon's cross from inside the six-yard box with home defence caught sleeping. Noble should have equalised five minutes later but dragged his shot wide. One came even closer for Stranraer just 60 seconds later. Gallagher crossed from the right and Peat could only watch as One's header dropped onto the roof of the net. Malcolm then fired into the side netting from a tight angle. Berwick almost doubled their lead midway through the half, but McMullan's strike was superbly tipped round the post by Mitchell in the home goal. Gordon should have done better in a one-on-one with Mitchell. His shot beat the keeper but lacked pace and the home defence got back to clear. Malcolm headed straight at Peat then One flicked the ball over the outrushing keeper, but his effort also beat the crossbar. After the break, Stranraer came within inches of equalising when One took the ball in midfield and rolled it through to Malcolm. The striker only had Peat to beat but dragged his low shot wide of the left post. Stranraer did have the ball in the net with eleven minutes to go when Agnew fired home from close range, but One was flagged offside. It should have been game over with seven minutes left, but Gordon stumbled taking the ball around Mitchell and it rolled wide. Berwick were made to pay moments later when Malcolm strolled through the defence, rounded Peat, and rolled the ball into the empty net.

Darren Gribben trys to chip the keeper but was ruled offside against Celtic in the Scottish Cup 4th Round at Shielfield Park on January 9th.


9. Berwick Rangers did themselves proud with a battling performance against Celtic in the fouth round of the Scottish Cup at Shielfield Park, but this time there was to be no glory for the underdog in this typical David v Goliath fixture. A goal in each half from Majstorovic and Brown for the Glasgow side ended Berwick's hopes of cup glory for another season in a game shown live worldwide on Sky TV. Celtic looked uneasy from the start and their front men did not see much of the ball in the hectic opening exchanges. They were fortunate not to give away a penalty with only two minutes on the clock when Mulgrew clattered into Notman inside the Celtic box. It was a clumsy mistimed effort from the full-back, but the referee let it go and Celtic escaped. There was another close call after six minutes when Gribben burst through to lob an expert finish over Zaluska only to be denied by the linesman's flag for offside. Rangers had started impressively and there were a few bemused looking faces in the Celtic side as Berwick swarmed around their opponents as if they had been rubbing shoulders with them all their days. Both of Celtic's full backs, Mulgrew and Wilson went into the book for a couple of crude tackles as the visitors tried to flex their muscles. However, it was a defensive mistake by McLean that gave Celtic the lead on 17 minutes. Mulgrew flighted in a free kick from wide on the right; the ball was half cleared back to him, and as the Berwick defence pressed out McLean looked as if he had the second ball covered; however, he swiped at thin air under pressure from Majstorovic, who had stayed in the area after the initial free kick, and the ball landed perfectly for Majstorovic to hammer the ball into the roof of the net from inside the six-yard box. Minutes later, Ledley was inches away when he met a Wilson cross at the back post as Celtic started to gain the upper hand. Ten minutes from the break Samaras slipped the ball to an unmarked Forrest for the only other real goalscoring chance of the half, but Peat pulled off a splendid reaction save to keep the shot out at pretty much point-blank range. After 36 minutes Samaras picked up a niggling thigh strain and was forced to limp off and was replaced by Stokes. Ledley became the third Celtic player to be booked for leading with an elbow and flooring Notman on the halfway line as Rangers continued look lively. Immediately after the restart Ljungberg found himself flat out on the grass after an agricultural foul from behind by McLeod left the Swede in a crumpled heap clutching the back of his head as McLeod's name entered the referee's book. "Welcome to Berwick" came from a voice in the crowd. Berwick had started the second half brightly and twice forced Zaluska to deny them an equaliser in the space of three minutes. First Notman latched onto Mulgrews's under hit back pass only for the keeper to fling himself at the Berwick man's feet, and then the keeper had to be on top form again when Gribben released Notman, who was robbed by the sliding Zaluska before he could get a shot away. That aside Celtic dominated the second half without creating many real chances. However, fitness levels began to tell as time wore on and with eight minutes remaining substitute Brown, who had replaced Ljungberg, sealed victory with a delightful effort. He ran at the Berwick defence before dropping a shoulder to jink his way inside the 18-yard box and lashed a right-footed shot across Peat and in at the keeper's right-hand post.

Chris McLeod closes down Celtic's Georgios Samaris in the Scottish Cup 4th Round at Shielfield Park on January 9th.

15. After all the hype and razzmatazz which surrounded Berwick in the build-up and immediate aftermath of the Scottish Cup match against Celtic, Rangers returned to league business and were brought back down to earth with a bump by an in-form Arbroath side at a blustery Shielfield Park. After a decent first half display, Berwick simply collapsed in the second as Arbroath struck a knockout blow with three goals in a ten-minute goal-blitz midway through the half before completing the rout with a fourth goal two minutes from time. Rangers edged the first half with Gribben twice testing Hill and Notman only denied by a goal-line clearance just before the break. However, in the second half Arbroath struck a knockout blow and Rangers collapsed. Conditions were far from ideal with a blustery rain and wind blowing across the pitch and under the circumstances both teams were to be congratulated for their efforts to play open attacking football. The first half was end-to-end with both keepers called into action. After seven minutes Gribben found his way to goal blocked after good work by Little in the build-up. Thomson then had to block a Doris effort, one of three occasions he managed to put his body and head on the line to save shots on goal; the other two came from central defender Keith Gibson, one of which was a thunderous shot from distance. However, the best chance of the half probably fell to Little. He ran onto a through ball down the middle and had only the goalkeeper to beat but was denied by Hill's outstretched hand as he tried to chip it over him from close range. Peat, meanwhile, twice came to the rescue when he denied Doris by smothering at the striker's feet in the box and then making a good save from a long range shot by Swankie. Currie found himself crowded out by the Arbroath defence as he tried to get in a shot and Gribben shot inches wide when well placed. Berwick kept up the pressure and Notman volleyed straight at Hill after meeting a deep cross at the back post before shooting wide in a similar position from a free kick. At the start of the second half Gribben fired in a 30-yard free kick which Hill grasped under his crossbar, but this was to be Berwick's only speculative strike on goal during the entire second half as Arbroath stepped up a gear to which a tired looking Berwick had no response. Peat made good saves from Gibson and Doris as the pressure mounted, but he was finally beaten on 68 minutes when Swankie latched onto an error by McLean and after dribbling past two defenders he drilled the ball past Peat from 12 yards. Two minutes later Swankie was on target again when he capitalised on a mistake by Greenhill and ran through unchallenged to coolly slot home from a similar range and it was effectively game over. It was another mistake which paved the way for Chisholm to net the third on 78 minutes, when he turned in Falkingham's cross from inside the area, and Kevin Gibson made it four with a near post header at the second attempt from McAnespie's corner with just two minutes left.

22. Martin McBride gave Queen's Park the edge in a tight 1-0 victory with an 18-yard right foot-shot that flew past Mark Peat, aided by a wicked deflection off Steve Notman, after Berwick erupted into civil war at Hampden Park. Manager Jimmy Crease decided that Gribben should be removed after 32 minutes following an angry exchange of words between the pair, and Gribben ripped his jersey off and threw it at his manager. Further angry words were exchanged in the tunnel before Crease reappeared. During a poor opening spell, the home side were first to attack when Ian Watt skewed an angled shot inches wide with the Berwick defence caught ball-watching. The game did not really spark into life until Gribben stomped off the park and was replaced by O'Reilly. The incident revitalised the previously subdued Rangers and McLean's close-range shot was hacked off the line by McGinn in the 34th minute. Two minutes later McLean forced keeper Strain into a superb reaction save. As Rangers piled on the pressure Gordon slid a shot from Notman's low cross inches wide in the 40th minute before the same player hit the post three minutes from the break after a superb passing move had opened the Queen's Park defence. Rangers failed to bring the same momentum into the second half, though O'Reilly saw his thunderous 30-yarder beat Strain only to clatter back off the post. A few minutes later Little was poised to head home Gordon's pinpoint cross only to have the ball cleared from his brow. However, Rangers began to run out of steam and Queen's Park started to assert themselves. The winning goal came on 72 minutes when Queen's midfielder Anderson picked up a Watt pass and cut the ball back to McBride whose 18-yard right-footed shot found its way past Peat with the aid of a wicked deflection off Notman. Queen's had opportunities to increase their lead, most notably in the 80th minute when Murray should have sealed the points when, after turning the Berwick defence inside out, he clipped his shot narrowly wide.

Midfielder John Grant from Alloa Athletic was signed ahead of the game against East Stirlingshire. Paul McMullan was released from his contract due to work commitments and Stephen Thomson returned to Stenhousemuir following the end of his loan agreement. Guy Kerr was also released and joined Musselburgh Athletic after a spell on loan.

29. In-form East Stirlingshire recorded a fifth win in a row as Chris McLeod's own goal secured them a 1-0 win against a shot-shy Berwick Rangers. There was an element of luck in Shire's goal, but the home side controlled most of the game and were worthy winners. Both sides failed to threaten in an uninspiring opening half-hour, but it was the hosts who snatched the lead on 32 minutes when Dunn sent a low cross into the penalty box. Johnston tried to flick the ball goalward, but in doing so struck McLeod who diverted it past into his own net from close range. Greenhill flashed a shot across the face of goal just before the break, but there were no takers. Just after the restart, O'Reilly had a great chance to level, when he benefited from the break of the ball just inside the penalty area but drove his left-footed volley just wide of Andrews' post. Shire replied with a fierce low drive by Richardson which McCaldon brilliantly turned round the post to concede a corner. The keeper was again called into action a few minutes later to keep out a long-range effort from Neil. Trialist Motion could have snatched a point for Berwick late on, but he failed to direct a right-foot volley on target when well-placed. Donaldson saw a speculative strike from long range easily gathered by McCaldon with five minutes to go. Shire always looked the likelier side to increase their lead and although the Berwick defence seemed firm their attack was virtually non-existent.


Berwick Rangers brought former Hibs striker Damon Gray back to Shielfield Park on an 18-month contract after a spell in Swedish football. The 22-year-old started his career at Easter Road scoring once and had two loan spells at Partick Thistle before joining the Borderers in July 2009.

12. Berwick's disastrous run of results continued as Annan kept their sight fixed on a play-off place. Twice Rangers edged in front with their first goals in over 400 minutes, but three times they were guilty of defensive mistakes. Annan opened brightest with Muirhead flashing a dipping 20-yarder inches over. McCaldon was then forced to into action to make a fine save from Cox's low drive before tipping over O'Connor's header from just under his bar as Berwick looked to be struggling with the heavy under foot conditions. However, Rangers gradually clawed their way back into the game and edged in front on 25 minutes, with their first goal of 2011, when Gray poked the ball home from close range after Callaghan's corner found him inside a crowded penalty area. However, the lead was short lived. Annan hit back just two minutes later when Harty cashed in with a fierce shot after both McLean and McLeod failed to clear the ball on the edge of the box. It was another Callaghan set piece that led to Berwick's second goal two minutes from the interval when, from a free kick out on the right, Little fired into the roof of the net from inside the six-yard box after the ball had been headed down to him by McLean. At the start of the second half, it looked likely that Rangers would kick on, but they lost their way again and the visitors levelled for a second time on 58 minutes when the home defence failed to pick up Muirhead, as Jardine floated in a free kick, he ran unchallenged across the face of the goal and his glancing header looped into the far corner of the net. With momentum on their side, Annan grabbed the winner when Harty slammed home a penalty in the 78th minute after Callaghan needlessly handled just inside the box. Gray might have snatched a late equaliser, but he could not get his shot away when he found himself only eight yards out and Rangers slumped to another defeat, their fifth in a row.

15. Clyde secured their first home win of the season with a 2-0 victory over a luckless Berwick Rangers. After a poor opening half performance Rangers played their best 45 minutes since November with a David Greenhill-inspired second half display which, with a touch of the luck, should have been enough to secure all three points. Clyde were first to hit the target when Peat blocked well from Macbeth's low shot in the second minute. Gray then hooked in an inviting cross which eluded both Gribben and McLaren by a matter of inches before Clyde took the lead in the 13th minute. The Berwick defence failed to pick up Stewart's run from Paterson's left-wing cross and he flicked a cute lob over Peat. Rangers' heads dropped and they were only kept afloat by the competitive spirit of McLean and a hard-grafting Gribben. Peat saved brilliantly from Brown's volley in the 39th minute, before Gray managed to get beyond the home defence to send a low 18-yard shot across Halliwell's goal a minute from the break. Greenhill was introduced at half time for the struggling McLaren, and he made an instant impact despite being played out of position. Gray's superb pass sent Currie free in the 49th minute, but he slid his shot inches wide of Halliwell's post. Five minutes later, a classy back heel by Gribben sent Currie rampaging through again only for the midfielder to balloon his shot well over the crossbar. A few minutes later Berwick were unlucky again when Greenhill headed a Gray cross just over from close range. Ewart, on for the injured McLeod, missed a simple 67th minute header from a Callaghan free kick. Currie missed another sitter, heading wide from McLean's superb cross, and Gribben went even closer when he cut inside before curling a peach of a shot off the post, with Halliwell brilliantly keeping out Gray's follow-up. Rangers tired in the last ten minutes after their onslaught and Clyde took full advantage. Paterson cracked in a 25 yarder which bounced off the outside of Peat's post before Clyde killed Rangers off in the 88th minute. Ewart was short with a header back to Peat, who looked slow off his line, and Finlayson nipped in between them to ram home the decider. Rangers' misery was compounded when Greenhill was shown a straight red card in the 89th minute for a lunge on Stevenson.

19. Berwick Rangers halted their five-game losing streak with a well-earned draw against Montrose at Links Park. Both goals came after the break with Tosh netting from the spot after 61 minutes to give the home side the lead only for O'Reilly to level eight minutes later. A bare-bones Rangers side created several chances, especially in the first half, and just about shaded the match. Tosh had a chance for the hosts a couple of minutes in but shot narrowly wide after a neat build-up. A mistake at the back then gave Grant a chance at goal but home keeper Wood got down well and a few minutes later pulled off a fine save from O'Reilly before stopping Callaghan's instinctive first-time shot from a short Darren Gribben corner with an athletic save. There was a flashpoint on 21 minutes when Thompson went down in the area after a clumsy challenge by Grant, but the referee decided he had dived and showed him a yellow card. After the break Berwick began to apply some real pressure on the home side, but Montrose's opener came out of the blue. Just past the hour mark, Tweed seemed to wrestle Ewart and McLean out of the way, trying to get on the end of a set piece, and to disbelief in the Rangers ranks the referee pointed to the spot and Tosh converted. However, Berwick bounced back in double quick time. Mason came to Montrose's rescue with a header off the line before O'Reilly bulleted home a header from Grant's pinpoint cross to level the score eight minutes later. Tosh passed up the perfect opportunity to win the match with the last kick of the game when he somehow shot wide from 12 yards out.

22. Berwick Rangers recorded their first win of 2011, and their first in nine games, when they beat Montrose at Shielfield Park in the second of their back-to-back games against the Angus club. However, Rangers left it late, with Paul Currie popping up in the 88th minute to net the winner in a game that looked destined to end in stalemate. Both sides tried to knock the ball around, but there were too many mis-placed passes and with no end product it looked to have 0-0 written all over it. However, with just two minutes left on the clock Berwick produced a rare moment of quality to claim all three points. The introduction of strikers Gribben and Gray, who had both started the match on the bench, in the final quarter, helped the team pick up the pace. Gribben played in a delicate chipped through ball into the box which was knocked down into the path of Currie and the midfielder struck a sweet first time shot from the edge of the penalty area which curled in at the far right-hand post. Berwick had looked the better of the two sides in the first half with Montrose forced into making two early last-ditch blocking tackles to prevent the Berwick players running through on goal. Greenhill, back after suspension, twice fired wide from distance, whilst Little also just failed to connect properly whilst stretching to reach a good through ball from O'Reilly. It was Callaghan who went closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half when he latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box after 25 minutes and his first-time shot agonisingly bounced back off the inside of the Montrose post with Wood well beaten. It was not all one-way traffic, however, and fullback Crighton went close at the other end when he ran across the front of the Berwick defence and his glancing header from Campbell's free kick brought a smart save out of Peat low to his right. At the start of the second half, it was the visitors who came out of the traps quickest and they forced a series of early corners which had the Berwick defence scrambling to clear. Thompson had a glanced a header wide from a free kick on the right, and Tosh shot straight at Peat after a good build-up from McNally. For a spell, the game became scrappy, and it looked as if Montrose were gaining the upper hand. However, the introduction of Gribben and Gray injected fresh momentum into Berwick's play and paved the way for Currie's late strike.

26. A Craig O'Reilly goal midway through the first half was enough to give Berwick Rangers all three points in a hard-fought victory over third placed Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill. It was an excellent performance from Berwick, who kept their third clean sheet in a row and neutered the home side's attacking threat so comprehensively that Peat was only required to make a single difficult save all afternoon. Albion pressed early on, and a Gemmell header rebounded off the bar before being smothered by Peat after 6 minutes. However, Rangers fought their way into the game and took the lead on 20 minutes when O'Reilly nodded home from six yards following Little's perfectly flighted left-wing cross from the by-line. Berwick might easily have had another three as they moved up a gear in the second half, but they found that keeper Flynn had put up the shutters. First, he saved well from Notman on the hour mark; then he pulled off an excellent one-handed reflex save to stop O'Reilly's 25-yard drive before denying substitute Gordon with seven minutes remaining.


1. Berwick Rangers fought back to earn a draw at Annan Athletic as they extended their revival to four without defeat, keeping their play-off hopes very much alive. However, it took the belated introduction of substitutes Damon Gray and Darren Gribben to give Rangers the cutting edge. Annan had Rangers under the cosh for a long period with their long-ball tactics and only two remarkable saves from Peat, the intervention of the woodwork, and defensive heroics from Ewart and McLean kept the score down. Nonetheless, this was a good result for Rangers who were missing four first team regulars. Gordon registered the first effort on target when his fourth minute snapshot from Little's lay-off forced Summersgill into an early save. Ten minutes later, Cox executed a brilliant turn and shot which flashed inches past Peat's post. The same player missed a sitter in the 21st minute, somehow missing his kick after O'Connor had squared the ball to him bang in front of goal. Rangers fought back and in the 25th minute Grant powered his header off the outside of Summersgill's post from Callaghan's cross when it looked easier to score. Berwick started to wane under Annan's long-ball aerial bombardment and Peat was forced to make a wonder save ten minutes from the break, somehow deflecting O'Connor's header over the bar from point blank range. Neilson got a free header from the resultant corner to give his side the lead. With Rangers reeling, Annan left back Aitken broke forward to clatter a 40-yard shot off Peat's bar minutes before the break. Two minutes after the restart, Currie lobbed a half chance wide from Summersgill's poor clearance before Peat saved Rangers again in the 54th minute, touching O'Connor's powerful header on to the bar and Ewart belting the loose ball clear. That incident seemed to signal a turning of the tide and Little's subtle 66th minute lay-off was sent narrowly wide by Gordon. The introduction of Gray and Gribben then caused panic in the home defence and after Little rifled a shot inches wide, Gray broke in from the left before cutting the ball back for Gribben to shoot home a 74th minute equaliser. Rangers were now on the front foot and Gribben looked to have created a last-minute winner when he outpaced Neilson and Peter Watson only to have his shot blocked. The rebound fell to Currie whose thunderous shot was deflected into the grateful arms of Summersgill.

5. Berwick continued their rich vein of form with a 4-0 demolition of mid-table rivals Elgin City at Shielfield Park, bringing them to within six points of a play-off spot with two games in hand. Gray was Rangers' hat-trick hero with his first treble in competitive football. He had already squandered an early chance – firing straight at Donnelly, who saved with his feet – when he gave Berwick the lead on 25 minutes. After build-up work by Gribben and Paul Currie, Brazil headed back across the face of the goal and Gray prodded home at the second attempt after his initial effort had been blocked by Donnelly on the line. Elgin were unlucky not to level matters a few minutes later when, after a spell of pressure, Gormley's hooked effort rebounded off the top of Peat's crossbar. However, Rangers quickly regrouped and added a quick-fire double. Gribben doubled the tally on 33 minutes with a class finish to round off a solo run. A long through ball from the right dropped over his shoulder in a central position. He was closely marked, but his first touch was sublime, taking the defender out of the equation, before coolly slotted the ball past Donnelly from the edge of the box. Two minutes later it was 3-0. Gribben this time turned provider, his superb long through ball from inside his own half found Gray on the run. Gray controlled it expertly, sidestepped his marker, and rolled it past the advancing keeper into an empty net. Rangers were on a roll. Little might have made it four before half-time, but his effort was well saved by Donnelly and both Notman and Brazil shot narrowly wide. Two fine saves by the Elgin keeper stopped Gribben and Gray adding to the tally after the interval before a goal-line clearance by Steven Edwards prevented substitute Gordon from getting his name on the score sheet. Donnelly made another good save from Gray after he played a neat one-two with Brazil, and it seemed only a matter of time before the fourth goal came. It was provided courtesy of Gray, who completed his hat-trick on 76 minutes, when he cleverly guided the ball home after McLean had threaded a fine pass from the right through the defence. It was another fine piece of distribution which was a feature of Berwick's impressive display as they made it five games without defeat. Ex-Hibernian player Lee Currie, making his final trial appearance, put in a fine performance, for which he was rewarded with a full contract until the end of the season, which he signed immediately after the match.

8. Berwick made it two home wins in four days and stretched their unbeaten run to six. The victory, courtesy of two goals from Darren Gribben and one from Andy McLean, lifted Rangers back into contention in the race for the end-of-season play-offs. In truth this was probably as comfortable a victory as Berwick have recorded all season, for Shire, despite having their fair share of the ball, seldom looked like breaching a home rearguard which stood solid throughout. In fact, it took them 50 minutes to register their first shot at goal, an effort pulled wide of the upright by Weaver, and it was the best part of an hour before Peat had a meaningful save to make, safely collecting a shot from McGuire under his bar; however, by that stage Rangers were already 2-0 up and cruising. Despite the wet and blustery conditions, Berwick managed to knock the ball around well at times and it was evident from an early stage that the return of Paul Currie and Greenhill from suspension, coupled with the inclusion of new signing Lee Currie in midfield, added some bite to their play. The upfront pairing of Gribben and Gray also proved to be a handful for the opposition. It was the pairing who combined for the opening goal after 12 minutes when Gray cut in from the right and squared the ball for Gribben to ram it home from 12 yards out. Only a reflex save by Andrews denied Gribben a second when his fierce strike bounced in front of the keeper as Rangers continued to press before Lee Currie went close with a snap shot and McLean headed inches over from a Callaghan free kick. Rangers then made the perfect start to the second half when another Callaghan free kick was fumbled by goalkeeper Andrews and McLean, who was only six yards out, had the simplest of tasks of tapping the ball into the empty net. For a spell East Stirling threatened to get back into the game, but any danger was snuffed out by the back four of McLean, Ewart, McLeod and Callaghan. It was game over on 79 minutes when Gribben tucked the ball into the bottom corner from ten yards out with Gray again the provider.

12. Berwick Rangers' six-game unbeaten run came to an end under challenging weather conditions at Gayfield as Arbroath stretched their lead at the top of Division Three to six points with a 2-1 win. The home side mastered the conditions best and bossed the game from start to finish. It was only Peat's goalkeeping and another sterling performance by Ewart that kept the score down. Sherrin played a superb 8th minute through ball that sent McManus clear, only for the unsighted Peat to make a superb low save. Seven minutes later, Sheerin's back-heel put Steven Doris through, but Peat was again equal to the shot. The home side made the breakthrough in the 22nd minute when Gibson headed home Sheerin's in swinging corner. Rangers finally broke free from defensive duties on 27 minutes when Little's superb cross looked set to be finished by Lee Currie only for McMullan to steal the ball off his toe. It was Currie who saved Rangers four minutes later, blocking Doris's acrobatic volley on the line. Swankie then beat three defensive tackles before shooting narrowly wide, before Grant replied with a thunderous shot over Hill's bar with the final effort of the half. Rangers had the advantage of the wind for the second period, but any notion they might have had of a fightback was quickly dispensed when Doris headed home a Swankie corner in the 51st minute after McLean was caught in possession. McLean nearly made amends for his error on the hour when his wind-assisted cross bounced back into play off the inside of Hill's post, but there were no takers. Paul Currie volleyed over when well placed on 76 minutes before completely missing his kick for a routine tap-in sixty seconds later. Six minutes from the end Gribben beautifully controlled a Lee Currie pass but shot straight at Hill. However, Rangers got a late consolation goal when Hill bundled Gribben's corner into his own net under pressure from McLeod deep into stoppage time.

15. A woeful Berwick Rangers seriously dented their promotion hopes when they were well and truly hit for six by play-off rivals Albion Rovers at Shielfield Park. Rangers got off to a great start and took the lead after only eight minutes when Gray steered home from 12 yards after Gribben had shoulder charged his maker to steal the ball before crossing neatly. Rovers soon had the ball at the other end, but Peat closed down the advancing Love to deny the Albion striker. Love had a second chance to level minutes later but fired straight at Peat. Berwick had a couple more half chances. A penalty claim was waved away after a Berwick player went to ground on the edge of the box, and Albion goalkeeper Flynn caught a header from a dangerous Berwick corner on 25 minutes. A minute later Paul Currie played a nifty ball down the right for Gribben to run on to, but the Berwick striker was judged offside. Albion then began to dominate proceedings and levelled on the half hour mark. Rangers failed to clear their line and Gemmell spun on a loose ball at the edge of the box and his thunderbolt strike whistled passed the keeper. From here on in Berwick were under pressure. Love got on the end of a good cross to sneak behind Peat, but somehow failed to find the target, and Gemmell looked certain to score minutes later after another defensive mistake, but his shot went wide. Albion's pressure finally paid off at the worst possible time for Berwick when they scored two goals in a three-minute spell just before the break. Lumsden edged them in front on 42 minutes when Love squared the ball into his path after cashing in on sloppy defending, before a Canning free kick was glanced into the net by Chaplain on the stroke of half-time. Albion's fourth came on 51 minutes when Rovers skipped through a wide-open Rangers midfield. Chaplain's effort was tipped over the bar by Peat, but the Berwick defence were once again flat footed when Chaplain scored from the resulting corner. Midway through the half Berwick had a chance against the run of play when Gordon found himself with the ball eight yards out, but he took too long to pick his shot and the chance was lost. Little had a shot from the edge of the box well saved by the Albion keeper shortly before substitute Hamilton furthered Berwick's misery on 71 minutes when was allowed to run unchallenged for almost 20 yards to stab home a defence splitting cross from Gemmell. With five minutes remaining Chaplain bagged his hat-trick and completed the rout with Rangers in tatters.

19. Berwick Rangers bounced back after their midweek drubbing to upset the form book as they ended Queen's 12-match unbeaten run. Not surprisingly, the visitors started out as firm favourites, but Rangers halted them in their tracks with a deserved victory to maintain their slim hopes of play-off qualification. Rangers, struggling with a string of injuries to McLaren, O'Reilly, Ewart and McLeod, showed several changes with McCaldon taking over in goal, Smith filling in at centre back, Notman returning from suspension and Greenhill in from the start. However, Smith was forced to leave the field after a knock, whilst substitute Little was himself replaced after just 23 minutes on the pitch after he felt a tweak to his tendon. Rangers put the Rovers nightmare behind them by starting out playing some bright one-touch football which had the visitors on the back foot. McLean picked up a head knock which needed to be bandaged, and when he returned to the action, he played a neat ball through for Gribben whose effort was blocked by keeper Strain's feet. In a rare attacking move Longworth forced McCaldon to go full stretch low to his right, but the game turned in the 37th minute when Rangers were awarded a penalty. McBride was judged to have blocked Paul Currie's cross shot with his hand and the same player slammed the ball home from the spot. It looked like this might be the only goal to separate the teams at the break, but just a minute before the half-time whistle Gribben cut in from the right bye-line. Two shots from Gray and Paul Currie were both blocked, but Greenhill fired home at the third attempt to give Rangers some breathing space. Seconds later Eaglesham blasted over at the other end when it looked easier to score, and manager Gardner Spiers reacted quickly by replacing him with Smith at the start of the second half. McCaldon made an early save from Smith, but he was unable to prevent another substitute, Quinn, from pulling a goal back with a glancing header in 66 minutes after the ball was flicked on to him by Smith. In his brief appearance, Little managed to hit the post with a header from a Greenhill free kick, but the game was eventually made safe in the 74th minute when Greenhill found the target from the edge of the box after the determined Gray found his way around the advancing keeper to set up the chance. Right at the death, Gray just failed to connect as Rangers finished strongly.

22. Berwick Rangers kept their play-off ambitions alive with a 2-1 victory over Elgin City which made the sixteen-hour round trip worthwhile. An impressive all-round display moved them to within three points of fourth- placed Stranraer. After enduring a difficult first forty-five Rangers got the bit between their teeth in the second half and clinched the three points thanks to goals from Lee and Paul Currie. Elgin started the game on the front foot and looked likeliest to score. McCaldon was tested with barely a minute on the clock when a good ball in from Crooks to Gunn saw the striker shoot right footed from 18 yards, but it was pushed around the post by McCaldon. Five minutes later a long ball from Niven found Gormley who turned away from his man and struck a right footed shot from the edge of the area which curled just post the post. The home side were well on top, and it took all of 35 minutes for Berwick to register a shot on target when Lee Currie's 25-yard effort was comfortably taken by Donnelly as the opening half ended all square. However, with 53 minutes on the clock a long ball out of defence was collected by Lee Currie who skipped past a challenge in the centre, stayed up despite being tripped, and curled a low shot around Donnelly and into the bottom corner from 20 yards. Berwick could have doubled their lead soon after when Gribben rounded Donnelly but was forced wide and his shot from a tight angle somehow struck the far post before rebounding back into play. Twenty minutes from time Elgin levelled. A Cameron shot was too hot for McCaldon to handle, and Gunn pounced to fire home from close range. The momentum could have swung back to the home team, but Berwick dug in and ultimately came out on top. With seven minutes left on the clock Paul Currie clinched the winner at the second attempt after his original shot was parried back by Donnelly.

26. Berwick snatched a last-gasp leveller to earn a point and keep their play-off hopes alive, but against a team sitting second from bottom of the table this was a game Rangers could and should have won. They had four clear-cut chances to win the match and had a penalty awarded to them, only to have the decision over-ruled by a linesman. Substitute Brazil was the man who claimed Berwick's 90th minute leveller, getting the final touch in what can only be described as a goalmouth scramble following a Callaghan corner. However, Rangers should have been out of sight by this stage. Gray was guilty of a hat-trick of misses, whilst Greenhill also squandered a gilt-edged chance just before the interval. Rangers fell behind after only five minutes when Greenhill lost the ball just 25 yards out. Grant played the ball through to Neil who picked his spot and beat McCaldon low to his right. Berwick then created several chances. McLean had a glancing flick cleared off the line by Derek Ure. Gray was through on goal but pulled his shot wide, and a minute later he missed an even better chance when a long clearance from McCaldon was neatly played through for him by Gribben, but he somehow lifted his shot over the top when he should at least have hit the target. Midway through the first half Gray rushed through on the right side of the area where he was fouled. Referee Crawford Allan immediately pointed to the spot, but then changed his mind after the terrace-side linesman flagged and said the contact was outside the box. McCaldon was forced into making a good save from Cawley, but right on half-time Rangers were presented with another great chance when Gray found himself with just the keeper to beat but somehow shot into the side netting. Early in the second half Gray again found himself through, this time from a long Callaghan clearance, but he did not get any power in his shot and Andrews collected easily. McCaldon made another good save from a Hay header and when Gribben could not find a way through to goal after being set up by Notman it looked as if it was going to be one of those days. Brazil's scrambled effort salvaged a point, but it should have been more.

29. Berwick's hopes of moving into the play-off places were struck a cruel blow as Stranraer clung on to fourth spot with a last-gasp leveller at Shielfield Park. Agnew, who had already put the Stair Park outfit back on terms in the dying seconds of the first half, scored a peach in final minute of the second to round off a six-goal thriller. Stranraer took only four minutes to find the goal with Murphy rounding off a swift three-man move which split the home defence apart after One linked up neatly with Malcolm. However, the advantage was short lived with Rangers levelling five minutes later courtesy of a McLeod header which struck the underside of the bar before just crossing the line as a row of defenders tried to clear in vain. A minute later Notman blasted wide after a good build-up down the left. Gribben doubled the tally with a sizzling 20-yard free kick which whistled into the net on 40 minutes after a hotly disputed hand ball decision. The award of the kick was perhaps fortunate as the defender had no chance of avoiding a well struck shot from close range, but there was no denying the quality of the finish. It looked like Rangers were going to go in 2-1 up at the break, but less than a minute before half-time the referee pointed to the spot after he judged that defender Jamie Ewart had handled a shot from Agnew in the box after he beat three Berwick players across the face of the area. Agnew stepped up and rammed the ball home. Rangers carved an early second half opening only for Grant to see his low strike deflected past the post before Marshall pushed aside a tricky low snapshot from Greenhill. Only a brilliant diving save by McCaldon denied Malcolm when he cashed in on a mistake by Greenhill as the visitors hit back. Marshall pulled off an equally fine stop at the other end from a cracking Gribben free kick to concede a corner, which Callaghan swept in, and substitute Gray provided the finishing touch from 10 yards, after a McLeod shot was headed off the line and rebounded to him, to edge Rangers in front out with 13 minutes remaining. One headed over in a crowded goalmouth from a corner and as the clock started to tick down it looked as if Berwick were going to hang on for a deserved victory. Then, right at the death, Agnew, picking up a weak clearance, swivelled just outside the box and sent a superbly struck low shot past a helpless Ian McCaldon.


2. Berwick Rangers' play-off hopes were all but buried at Stair Park, where an impressive Stranraer outfit put a tired looking Rangers to the sword, with only keeper Ian McCaldon standing between Rangers and a heavier defeat after a punishing schedule of 14 games in seven weeks. Rangers were never really at the races with Stranraer looking sharper throughout. However, Berwick started brightly and forced a couple of early corners but were let off the hook in the 9th minute when Gallagher headed against the bar following a corner. Eight minutes later, McColm saw his 18-yard shot acrobatically saved by McCaldon as Stranraer began to pile on the pressure. Rangers broke from the stranglehold on the half hour mark and corners from Callaghan and Lee Currie finally forced Mitchell into action. Stranraer got their reward after 40 minutes when a long ball from Gallagher found McColm on the left and he found the net from 18 yards. McColm called McCaldon into action again on the stroke of half-time, but once more the keeper was equal to the test. Stranraer doubled their lead six minutes after the break when Agnew's free kick fell to Gallagher, and he rattled the ball in off the underside of the bar from six yards. In the 53rd minute, and against the run of play, Berwick got back into the match due a defensive lapse when Kennedy headed the ball wide of his own keeper and substitute Paul Currie, who had only been on the pitch three minutes after replacing Ian Little, coolly volleyed home from 30 yards. Stranraer continued their attack and Moore was denied a certain goal from his header on the hour mark when McCaldon brilliantly tipped his effort round the post. However, it did not take Stranraer long to add a third. In the 67th minute, Noble's pinpoint pass sat up perfectly for McColm who fired a cracking left-footed finish into the bottom right-hand corner of the net – game over. Lee Currie forced Mitchell into a decent save eleven minutes from the end but otherwise Stranraer saw out the closing minutes in comfort.

9. Berwick's hopes of a play-off place were all but gone after a disappointing 1-0 home reverse at the hands of Montrose. Terry Masson struck the killer blow for Montrose nine minutes from time to leave Berwick nine points adrift with only 12 up for grabs. Following their defeat at Stranraer the previous week, Rangers still had an outside chance of making the top four at the end of the season but knew that a win over Montrose was a must. However, this turned into a typical end of season affair with neither side looking as if they had the will, the desire or even the ability to claim all three points. On balance, Berwick were probably the better of two poor sides. They created more chances than the visitors, but with Gribben effectively playing as the lone striker up front, and often being forced to go wide left to turn provider, scoring opportunities were at a premium. Gribben did find himself through after only four minutes but lifted the ball over the top. Paul Currie was unlucky when he saw a header from a Greenhill corner come back off the post before forcing a fingertip save out of visiting keeper Gonzalez. McLean also went close with a header from a Callaghan corner, whilst at the other end McCord was the man causing most problems for the home defence. However, the only time the visitors had a serious effort on goal was in the first half was when central defender Pope had a header from a corner which he directed straight at McCaldon. Early in the second half Cameron fired over from distance, but Berwick, struggled to get in a shot as they found themselves crowded out when they were about to pull the trigger. In what was at times a scrappy game, Berwick's usual short passing game deserted them, and it became increasingly likely that a single goal would settle it, and so it proved. McCord came close for the visitors in the 80th minute, but there was no mistake 60 seconds later when Ewart was beaten by the bounce 20 yards out and the ball landed neatly at Masson's feet. Masson struck it first time to McCaldon's left, giving the keeper no chance.

16. Berwick Rangers' Jekyll and Hyde season continued with a surprise but thoroughly deserved win at second placed Annan Athletic, who were still in with a chance of claiming the Third Division title, to keep their slim play-off hopes alive. After an opening five-minute onslaught by the hosts Rangers went on to dominate the first half. Gray missed a good chance in the 6th minute, shooting wide after Callaghan set him up, and three minutes later Notman broke through on the right only for Summersgill to keep out his goal bound volley with his foot. Paul Currie missed a sitter in the 11th minute, somehow missing the target from 8 yards with the goal at his mercy. However, the opening goal came on 17 minutes when Notman rode two challenges down the right and maintained his composure to set up Gray for a neat shot past Summersgill. The home keeper saved brilliantly a minute later when he finger-tipped Paul Currie's stinging volley round the post. A minute before the interval Gray struck again when he latched on to Greenhill's clever through ball and curled home a brilliant shot from 18 yards. Annan registered their first real effort on target on the stroke of half-time, and Rangers had the woodwork to thank after Watson's diving header rebounded off the bar. A tougher contest was fully expected in the second half, but Rangers went three-up in the 53rd minute, just sixty seconds after Notman's brilliant saving tackle on Harty prevented the home side from getting on the score sheet. Gribben broke free down the left before dinking in a cross which Paul Currie bundled home from six yards at the near post. Annan took a gamble on the hour mark by sending on all three substitutes and it started to pay immediate dividends. In the 64th minute Gilfillan sent a superbly struck 25-yard free kick beyond the helpless McCaldon. The goal encouraged Annan but Berwick's back three of Ewart, McLeod and McLean were in solid form and the home side struggled to create any clear-cut chances. Rangers came close to making it four in the 75th minute when Gribben's dangerous cross eluded Gray by inches. With ten minutes left O'Connor reduced the deficit further when he cracked an angled volley past McCaldon after Rangers had forgotten to mark the back post. However, despite losing a second goal, Berwick kept their cool under late pressure and emerged deserved winners.

23. Any play-off hopes were now purely mathematical after Berwick dropped two points in a one-all draw at home to Clyde, leaving them six points adrift of fourth placed Stranraer in the final play-off place with only two games remaining. Lee Currie gave Rangers the lead on the hour mark only to be pegged back two minutes later via John Stewart's spot kick after Andy McLean was harshly judged to have had handled on the edge of the box. Berwick knew that nothing short of a win would keep their slim play-off hopes alive and set about the Clyde goal from the start. Three times during the game Rangers were denied by the woodwork, although on one occasion the linesman's flag was up for offside. Berwick looked the brighter of the two sides in the opening forty-five with Gribben, after being set up by Paul Currie, shooting narrowly over from the edge of the box. The striker then saw a cross-cum-shot from the left tipped over the cross bar by Hutchison. Lee Currie made a great covering tackle to deny Clyde's Swayer after the forward had broken through from the half-way line and was about to pull the trigger. Clyde also had a claim for a penalty turned aside, but it was Berwick who were the dominant force and Gribben again shot over, whilst Paul Currie fired in a tremendous 30-yarder which Hutchison got a glove to and tipped onto the bar. Greenhill set up Paul Currie who tried his luck again from distance before again shooting inches wide following some good build-up work. Clyde almost stole the lead right on the whistle when Stewart almost sneaked in between two defenders and the goalkeeper, but his close-range shot was blocked. Clyde emerged the better side after the break with Sweeny's long throw-ins proving a popular tactic for the visitors and Rangers found themselves on the back foot. Then, on the hour mark, and much against the run of play, Lee Currie fired Berwick in front when he took a pass from Gribben just inside the area, took one touch to send a defender the wrong way, and shot low to the keeper's left. However, three minutes later it was all square. McLean tried to shield the ball on the edge of the box, but it bounced up and him on the arm. Stewart stepped up to take the resultant spot kick and guided his shot into the corner past McCaldon's reach. From then on it was Clyde who posed the biggest threat with McCaldon having to make saves from Sweeny and Swayer whilst a header from Lithgow had him at full stretch. In many respects a draw was perhaps a fair reflection on the game, but a point was probably no use to either side.

30. Two up, then Rangers let it slip – a performance that mirrored the season. Berwick were two up inside 20 minutes before Elgin battled back with a storming second half performance at Borough Briggs to snatch all three points. Berwick settled quickly and forced a batch of corners. Brazil blasted a shot wide from Gordon's deep cross in the eighth minute and three minutes later Gordon headed inches wide from Callaghan's cross at the back post. Rangers were all over Elgin and their good start was rewarded on 13 minutes when Paul Currie let fly with a 25-yard volley and the ball whistled into the top corner of the net. Gordon missed a great chance to put Rangers two-up with the 'miss of the season' on 18 minutes. His brilliant first touch took him clear of the home defence; he then rounded keeper Donnelly, only to hit the post from five yards out with the entire goal at his mercy. However, Rangers did double their lead two minutes later, and it was no less than they deserved, when Donnelly made a hash of a punching away a Callaghan cross and Paul Currie headed the ball into an empty net from eight yards out. Gribben shot wide on the half-hour mark after outpacing the lumbering home defence after which Berwick grew complacent. Eight minutes from the break Frizzel raced into the box past a static duo of Callaghan and McLeod, only to be chopped down by Lee Currie and Crooks dispatched the resultant penalty with a minimum of fuss. Rangers started the second half brightly enough with Callaghan thundering a 30-yard angled volley past Donnelly's goal and Paul Currie past over a hat-trick opportunity by heading over a Gordon cross. City equalised in the 56th minute when MacDonald rammed the ball home after McCaldon could only parry a Wilson shot. McCaldon made a stunning double save from Wilson and Craig Gunn as Elgin pressed, but he was helpless when City took the lead with 11 minutes remaining. Substitute Ponton headed a clearance straight to Paul Caczan's feet and he needed no second invitation to bury his shot past McCaldon. There was only one team in it after that and only McCaldon and some desperate defending kept Elgin's lead to a single goal.


7. Berwick Rangers brought the curtain down on their season when they were held to a 2-2 draw by league runners-up Albion Rovers at Shielfield Park. Once again it was the same old frailties which cost Berwick victory – poor defending – resulting in the visitors taking a point from a match Rangers looked to have won with only a few minutes left on the clock. It was not a classic match. Rangers effectively had nothing to play for, whilst Rovers were already assured a play-off place. The visitors could not have asked for a better start when McCaldon effectively handed them the first goal with only five minutes on the clock. McCaldon lost control trying to dribble Ewart's back pass around Love on the edge of the 18-yard box and the ever-dangerous Rovers' number seven gratefully accepted the gift and waltzed past him before slotting the ball into the empty net. However, Rangers regain their composure and after nine minutes a long crossfield ball from the right was taken down by Gribben and he slipped it inside to Brazil, whose first time shot unfortunately came back off a post. Rangers hit the woodwork for a second time when an Andy McLean header from a corner came back off a post, but on 42 minutes Berwick got the reward their play deserved when Brazil slotted the ball into the net from close range with just goalkeeper Flynn to beat. The second half was only four minutes old when Ponton scored his first goal for the club when he struck a sweet left-foot shot from the edge of the box into the keeper's bottom left-hand corner via the inside of the post. Rovers then upped the pace as they desperately sought a goal to keep their hopes of second place in the table alive. McCaldon almost presented them with a carbon copy goal to his first half effort, but this time he managed to retrieve the situation and block Love's shot. Boyle missed a great chance to equalise when he headed wide in front of goal and a few minutes later he saw a shot go inches wide of the post. Callaghan cleared an Albion effort off the line and McCaldon spread himself well to block another close-range effort. Rangers looked as if they might survive the barrage, but in the 88th minute they succumbed when McLean mis-kicked in the area and substitute Gilmartin nipped in to slot the ball home through McCaldon's legs to deny Rangers full points.

At the club's annual general meeting of shareholders, chairman Brian Porteous confirmed Jimmy Crease would be staying on for season 2011/12, and he also announced that talks were on-going with his assistant Ian Little with regards to an extension to his existing deal. Crease confirmed the situation when he said: "The chairman knew the situation and he asked me to think it over. He was looking for quick answer as otherwise steps would have to be put in motion to find a successor, but after meeting with the chairman and hearing the board's plans for the future I have decided to stay on. I did say earlier on that if we did not qualify for the play-offs, I would consider that to be a failure and I would step down. The results in the last few games have not gone our way, but overall, despite a few disappointments along the way, especially after the turn of the year, I have considered the situation carefully and I have now agreed to stay on."